Production Values AI advantage?

I am suffering badly at Small level as I have five competitors that have better production in almost all of the areas (Broadcasting, live experience, music, etc.).

My question is this:

If I were to give myself a boost for a few months (admittedly lose a lot of money but boost my show ratings) then lower my values again to save money, would I have to pay the one-off cost again when I go to upgrade again?

In my game the AI companies are upgrading and lowering there levels all of the time and I just think it stinks a bit if they don't pay the cost each time and I will have to.

None of the companies appear to be THAT rich to keep doing what they are doing regularly.

What are the real benefits of having better values? Do I get bigger crowds at events? Does my pop go up faster?

<p>If your production values are lower your show ratings take a hit. If you are comfortably above the 6 points you need to increase pop even with the lower values it doesn't hurt you. </p><p> </p><p>

Only time you <em>need</em> those values is if your shows are running right about 6 points above your pop. Then you may want to put the money into it to make sure you get those increases each show.</p>

The AI pays all the costs you do, including the one-offs, they're not cheating.

The advantages of having better values is to give yourself a competitive edge and drive your opponents out of business through them either needing to financially hurt themselves to keep up or take the associated penalties, and to allow yourself to meet broadcaster requirements.