Will COVID bring down America and capitalism?

EnforcerM

I'm an American suffering greatly in several ways due to the GOP government's actions during this pandemic. While other countries do well, America slides further into degeneration.

Now I wonder if this is the end of the road for this country. They're intent on opening schools, and I honestly think every single person who has sided with Trump or helped him needs to be locked up forever for murder. Same for absolutely anyone on either side saying we should send children back to schools in America. That said, I believe that Trump and the GOP should be held personally responsible for every single American who has died from COVID, as they were the ones who made it this bad and instilled these stupid feelings of liberty over the collective.

Furthermore, America's strict corporate capitalism has caused irreversible damage to the economy because it doesn't work in a pandemic at all. Poverty and homelessness in America are now at third world levels. I am ashamed of my country and thoroughly despise everything about it now including the values and culture. There is nothing good. And nothing is the right word. This is a nation where selling weed (harmless) can net over a decade in prison, and being black gets you more time and beat up by cops, but a pedophile in South Dakota gets only four years. There is not one aspect of American life or values I would keep if given the chance to change it all.

My wife has several big risk factors that could kill her if she catches COVID. I find myself more scared than any other time in my life now, and my life has been directly threatened to the point I had to kill in self defense. Yet this is infinitely more terrifying. I could honestly see myself picking up a gun and doing terrible things if irresponsible Americans and their beliefs cost me my wife, who is my entire world. I would never recover emotionally or mentally. So beyond being scared of COVID, I'm scared of myself and what I will do if I lose my wife, scared of whom I may hurt. Worse still, I have few people to talk to about this because it turned out many of my friends were ignorant all along and so I've dropped them all. Now my wife and I stand alone, no family or friends, all because we're smarter than these people speaking against masks and social distancing.

Anyone who puts individual "liberty" above the lives of other people is reprehensible. Is this the end of the line for America and capitalism? From what I'm seeing, the answer is a "cautiously hopeful YES, this nation and this ideology are done." It's the only silver lining, that we may finally escape this horror. If not, I fear we will see an Extinction Level Event. Thoughts?

<p>While I'm in agreement with most said by OP, threads like this typically aren't allowed due to the polarizing factors and typically get locked fairly quickly. </p><p> </p><p>

I don't like Biden, but hopefully he wins the vote in a few months and we don't have to have the orange baboon in office anymore.</p>

<p>America? Maybe, but more in a splintering like Yugoslavia than some apocalyptic event. Capitalism? When even China practices their own state-run version of it I can't see every other major nation on Earth going "that's it boys, pack it up! No more America means no more capitalism!". The Cold War gave us a very egocentric view of world politics when in reality, America could disappear tomorrow and the world would move on. Not without consequences, but there's nothing *essential* about our nation's existence.</p><p> </p><p>

As for the extinction level event. The human race can bounce back so long as there are 10,000 genetically distinct people left. I highly doubt a virus with a 1-4-ish% fatality rate has the power to cause an extinction.</p><p> </p><p>

EDIT: i recommend looking into online therapy to help. There are plenty of places like betterhelp.com that have professional far more qualified to discuss this with you than fans of text based sims.</p>