[DOTM]WCW 1998: Too Big To Fail?

I tried to go back and read previous posts, but didn't see the answer. Mind sharing what GTT stands for? All I can think of is "Greatest Tag Team".

Any reason you didn't use the Dudley or Team 3D names?

That said, prime Devon/Bubba facing off against the Steiners and Harlem Heat are literal dream matches for me. If you're able to sign Edge & Christian and the Hardyz, you would probably have one of the most stacked tag rosters ever.

Heel Scott Steiner seems inevitable though. Not sure what you could do with Rick post split though.

This time period was peak-WCW so it's satisfying seeing it booked differently, but done really well.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to go back and read previous posts, but didn't see the answer. Mind sharing what GTT stands for? All I can think of is "Greatest Tag Team".

Any reason you didn't use the Dudley or Team 3D names?

That said, prime Devon/Bubba facing off against the Steiners and Harlem Heat are literal dream matches for me. If you're able to sign Edge & Christian and the Hardyz, you would probably have one of the most stacked tag rosters ever.

Heel Scott Steiner seems inevitable though. Not sure what you could do with Rick post split though.

This time period was peak-WCW so it's satisfying seeing it booked differently, but done really well.

I mean does anyone really know what FTR stands for? My response is what does it mean to you? ;)

(I intentionally made it vague to mean many things other than what I think it means lol - and I didn’t wanna copy Team 3D and wanted to move away from the Dudley gimmick. )

I mean does anyone really know what FTR stands for? My response is what does it mean to you? ;)

(I intentionally made it vague to mean many things other than what I think it means lol - and I didn’t wanna copy Team 3D and wanted to move away from the Dudley gimmick. )

Fair enough to all points! This is my favorite diary so it's nice you interact with your readers.

Interesting you're going to war with Promo Azteca since a lot of WCW's luchadors worked there when not being used by WCW.

Super glad you were able to keep Syxxx. He was always one of my favorites growing up and I got to meet him a few years ago. We had a lengthy talk about depression and anxiety. He was very cool.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="DHK1989" data-cite="DHK1989" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="51811" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I had a feeling you'd re-sign Syxx. That's huge to have him not jump to the WWF at this point in the timeline.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I mean it happened in real life at this time. But yeah, no chance I wasn’t gonna try to keep him.</p>

WCW Monday Nitro Live! March Week 2, 1998 - Episode #129 - Woooo!

Thank you guys for understanding while I was ill. I am all better now, and here is this week’s Nitro! My apologies for the 22 hour delay.

<div style="margin:auto;width:700px;background-color:rgb(255, 255, 255);padding:25px;text-align:justify;line-height:normal;border:8px solid rgb(255, 128, 0);"><font color="#1a1a1a" face="Roboto"><span style="font-size:14px;"></span></font>

4ESiRyW.jpg

WCW Monday Nitro opens to a video of last week’s blockbuster announcement by JJ Dillion that next week on Monday Nitro from Panama City Beach, Florida Ric Flair will challenge WCW World Heavyweight Champion Sting for the WCW Title. The video also highlights the main event of WCW/nWo Uncensored featuring Sting & Bret Hart vs The Outsiders.

bbRNwTg.jpgkxmVwPM.jpg

The camera goes live to the parking lot where a long black limo arrives. Chapel Hill explodes as the Nature Boy Ric Flair exit’s the limo with Arn Anderson. Tony says in a voice over that the Nature Boy will speak tonight.

<iframe width="500" height="250" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cXXWw8AneQw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<div style="color:rgb(26, 26, 26);font-family:Roboto;font-size:14px;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;text-align:center;"><div style="font:44px Roboto;"><b>WCW MONDAY NITRO</b>

DEAN SMITH CENTER

CHAPEL HILL, NC</div>

<div style="color:rgb(26, 26, 26);font-family:Roboto;font-size:14px;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;border-top:3px solid rgb(0,0,0);"></div>

<div style="color:rgb(26, 26, 26);font-family:Roboto Slab;font-size:16px;font-style:normal;">

wBHGKlN.jpgW4lq9rR.jpgvaPODr4.jpg

Tony, Mike and Larry welcome us to Monday Nitro from deep in the heart of Flair country where tonight we will hear from the Nature Boy seven days away from his world title challenge next week at Spring Breakout. They remind us that tonight Rey Mysterio will fight Jerry Lynn with the right to challenge Eddie Guerrero for the Cruiserweight title at Uncensored. We are also told that in our main event, Syxxx will take on Chris Benoit. But we start off Nitro with G.T.T. in action, but first let’s go to a video of LoMonaco & Hughes filmed this weekend.

<div style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Roboto;font-size:14px;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;border-top:3px solid rgb(0,0,0);"></div>

DY8eEMk.jpgk325lTB.jpg

We go to a video of G.T.T. walking the streets of Detroit and mocking where Rick and Scott come from. They say that LoMonaco and Hughes are meaner and tougher than anything this pissant town has to offer. They say Rick and Scott grew up with yuppies. And the video then cuts to Ann Arbor at the University of Michigan where G.T.T. is at a college fraternity party. They point out a fraternity brother and says “yuppies like him”. While LoMonaco talks, Hughes sets up a table. And sets it on fire. Mark then punches the frat brother in the gut and powerbombs him through the flaming table. LoMonaco looks at the wreckage and says “Rick? Scotty? This is your future. Our match at Uncensored is a tables match.” The video ends with Hughes saying “testify”.

<div style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Roboto;font-size:14px;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;border-top:3px solid rgb(0,0,0);"></div>

DY8eEMk.jpgk325lTB.jpgRoiHdy4.jpgpTstxhD.jpgcZ9mQCl.jpg

<b>G.T.T. VS High Voltage</b><span style="font-weight:normal;">

G.T.T. display a Savage viciousness as they attack Rage and Kaos as soon as the bell rings. LoMonaco and Hughes seem determined to make an example out of the youngsters and shout Rick and Scott Steiner’s name with each brutal hit. Soon Rage is dispatched with the Death Drop for the three count.

WINNER BY PINFALL: G.T.T.

DY8eEMk.jpgk325lTB.jpgRr8R8Ou.jpgQOqEoza.jpg

Post match, LoMonaco and Hughes continue to beat up High Voltage, making their point clear, until the Steiners come running out. G.T.T. leave laughing with the announcers putting over just how dangerous Mark LoMonaco and Devon Hughes may be.

zOhDILr.jpg

Monday Nitro returns to a commercial for WCW/nWo Uncensored which is in thirteen days LIVE and only on Pay-Per-View

2GUxClR.jpgcuZY1CN.jpgZW5WlC3.jpgqAeAiYW.jpg

Nitro girls dance break 1

7ldNadO.jpgRoiHdy4.jpgpm21ISk.jpg

<b>CURT HENNIG VS BUNKHOUSE BUCK</b><span style="font-weight:normal;">

The announcers put over that this is a one night return to WCW for Bunkhouse Buck and he makes the most of it giving Hennig a surprisingly technical wrestling match. The two trade near falls and Buck is able to hit Hennig with a big boot for a close two count. Ultimately Buck lowers his head for a back drop when Hennig charges and that’s a mistake as Curt locks his arm around Buck’s head and hits the Hennig-Plex for the victory.

WINNER BY PINFALL: CURT HENNIG

VukTRok.jpg7ldNadO.jpg

Post match as Hennig celebrates, Alex Wright’s music comes on and Wright is seen dancing at the Nitro stage. He gloats about his victory over Rey Mysterio at SuperBrawl and says that the “Sexiest German Alive” must continue his ascension and he will do so by taking on a fossil. Wright says that fossil is Curt Hennig and formally challenges Hennig for Uncensored. Hennig laughs it off before saying that he will smack that smirk off Das Wunderkind’s face and send him scurrying back to German. In case Wright doesn’t understand complicated English, that is a yes. The match is made for Uncensored.

CqM5BmM.jpgkV8jtBo.jpg

The announcers take us back to last week where Jerry Lynn and Rey Mysterio Jr agreed to face each other tonight. The winner of that match will determine the #1 contender for Eddie Guerrero’s Cruiserweight Title at Uncensored. And that match is next on Nitro. Don’t go anywhere.

fWr2TeP.jpg

Another promo airs for the arrival of the Extreme Luchador, Super Crazy who will soon arrive to WCW.

kV8jtBo.jpgRoiHdy4.jpgCqM5BmM.jpg

<b>JERRY LYNN VS REY MYSTERIO JR</b><span style="font-weight:normal;">

As expected this match is a aerial showcase as both men do high-octane and risky moves. Early on Lynn has control of the match but he messes up when he goes for a shooting star press and eats the mat. Rey hits the hurricanrana but cannot get a pin fall. The finish comes when Rey goes for a top rope Hurricanrana but Lynn holds on for a powerbomb off the top. 1..2..3.

WINNER BY PINFALL & #1 CONTENDER FOR THE CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE: JERRY LYNN

CqM5BmM.jpgkV8jtBo.jpg

Post match, Rey looks furious as Jerry talks to him. Lynn puts out his hand and cooler heads prevail as Rey ends up shaking Jerry Lynn’s hand. Jerry Lynn will challenge Eddie Guerrero for the WCW Cruiserweight Title at Uncensored.

bbRNwTg.jpg

Ric Flair is seen walking in the back. When we come back, The Nature Boy will be in the middle of the ring with Mean Gene. It’s Nitro and hour number two is on the way. We’re deep in the heart of Flair Country, don’t go away now.

hF0jMUe.jpg

Nitro returns to a nWo promo with Macho Man Randy Savage who gloats about his win over Bret Hart and says he’s got bigger fish to fry now. The Macho Man has his eyes on the prize and is paying close attention to what happens next week. Oooh yeah.

HoLFfOQ.jpgbbRNwTg.jpgkxmVwPM.jpg

Mean Gene is in the ring and welcomes to Flair Country the Nature Boy Ric Flair. The thirteen time heavyweight champion of the world comes out to a massive chorus of cheers and fans bowing to the man as he enters the ring with Arn Anderson by his side. Flair says that in all of his years he forgets that he can still be surprised, but last week surprised the Nature Boy. Ric says that he did not know that JJ Dillon was going to make this match against the world heavyweight champion, the Stinger, but at this stage in his career he is thrilled for this opportunity. Ric says that over the last two years, he has been supporting Sting in his effort against the nWo, but next week is different. They see eye to eye now, but Stinger? Next week they are walking that aisle one more time and they will stand against each other one more time and one more time Ric Flair will prove to the world why he is, has been and always will be the man. Mean Gene tries to ask Ric Flair and Arn Anderson about what they’ve been doing lately, and Arn says they are not ready to talk about that just yet. Ric brings it back to next week. He says that his greatest opponent in WCW is the man that he will face next week. And man-to-man, Sting wherever you are; listen to me now, there is nothing - NOTHING - that the dirtiest player in this game will not do to become the Fourteen time World Champion. To be the man, you have to beat the man. And in PCB - the Nature Boy is the man. Wooooo!

qZqtFBw.jpg

A graphic shows that Lex Luger is in action next on Nitro.

i8Qc1gT.jpg

G0W0gJE.jpgbbRNwTg.jpg

Nitro returns to a promo about next week’s special edition of WCW Monday Nitro: Spring Breakout airs. It focuses on the return of Dennis Rodman as well as Ric Flair vs Sting for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship.

HoLFfOQ.jpg9aPVx9J.jpg

Mean Gene is backstage with WCW World Television Champion Lord Steven Regal. Regal says that beating up on David Taylor last week was one thing. Regal says that all Goldberg did was attack when Taylor wasn’t ready. But, it's entirely something else when you face the Television Champion of the World. And the greatest wrestler in this world. So here it is sunshine, here is the challenge: at Uncensored Regal will put the Television Title on the line and give Goldberg a wrestling lesson as well. Let’s see if Billy Boy can smack around a man that can lock his legs and stretch him and make him scamper off back to the NFL. Ta-ta.

qZqtFBw.jpgRoiHdy4.jpgQ0zny8u.jpg

<b>LEX LUGER VS WRATH</b><span style="font-weight:normal;">

This one is not pretty, but at least it is short. After some power moves, including a brain buster by Luger, the Torture Rack is locked in and Wrath has to tap out.

WINNER BY SUBMISSION: LEX LUGER

qZqtFBw.jpg

Post match, Lex Luger does a promo blasting Syxxx for his parody last week and for costing Lex the match against Nash at SuperBrawl. Since Syxxx has such a big mouth, maybe it’s put up or shut up time for Hall and Nash’s little sidekick. Maybe that should happen at Uncensored in a submission match.

qRYpDuC.jpg

Nitro returns to a video of Raven in the bowels of the building promising that Page and Benoit are not done with Raven and his nest. And before the night is through, they will learn their fate. Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

4nQ90bY.jpgEtVfjze.jpgRoiHdy4.jpg56KArhJ.jpgx1kanUd.jpg

<b>FACES OF FEAR VS PUBLIC ENEMY</b><span style="font-weight:normal;">

This is a wild and brutal brawl that goes all over the ringside area. Once PE takes control they try to put Meng through a table, and do, but he gets up laughing. Eventually Johnny Grunge is hot by a double head butt by Meng and Barbarian which takes him out and Rocco Rock is kicked in the face by Barbarian for a three count.

WINNERS BY PINFALL: FACES OF FEAR

wBHGKlN.jpgW4lq9rR.jpgxDE82Ot.jpg

G0W0gJE.jpgbbRNwTg.jpg

078omOh.jpgJwbWusM.jpg

i8Qc1gT.jpg

LIxvFTX.jpgXv96Mzd.jpg

Back at the announce booth - Tony, Mike & Bobby hype up next week’s Spring Breakout event where we have now learned that not only will Ric Flair challenge Sting for the World Heavyweight Championship, Kevin Nash and Bret Hart will go one on one for the first time in World Championship Wrestling. They also play up what role will The Worm, Dennis Rodman play? Do not miss next week’s Spring Breakout from Club LaVela in Panama City Beach, Florida. And stay tuned to tonight’s main event. Syxxx of the nWo will face The Crippler Chris Benoit. It’s Nitro and it’s next.

LIxvFTX.jpgRoiHdy4.jpgXv96Mzd.jpg

<b>SYXXX VS CHRIS BENOIT</b><span style="font-weight:normal;">

Benoit and Syxxx have a fantastic scientific match early but then it turns to a hard hitting match as Benoit nails Syxxx with chops and haymakers and Syxxx assaults with Karate kicks. Eventually Benoit takes the control and does a series of German suplexes before going for the Crossface but Syxxx reverses it into the Buzzkill. Benoit is able to get a foot on the rope and the tide turns again when Syxxx misses a Guilotine Leg Drop from the top. Benoit goes up top and flies off with the Diving Head Butt and signals the CrossFace. That is when Lodi jumps the barricade and gets onto the apron. Benoit swings at Lodi who drops to the floor, but that distraction is all Syxxx needs. He creeps up behind the Crippler and locks on the Buzzkill submission. Benoit tries to hold on but eventually he has to surrender or risk having his shoulder ripped apart.

WINNER BY SUBMISSION: SYXXX

t6SPsjc.jpgrdR3ybd.jpgwke0PMK.jpgNMh2e2d.jpgD41lkYX.jpgXv96Mzd.jpg

After the match, the Nest jump the railings and begin to attack Benoit. Syxxx throws up his hands saying he has no beef and walks away gloating to the crowd about his victory.

hbmnsDN.jpg

United States Champion Diamond Dallas Page runs down to help Benoit and the two begin to fight off the Nest when Raven comes from under the ring with a pipe.

qRYpDuC.jpg

He blasts Page from behind and then Benoit and the Nest swarms.

Saturn sets up a chair and Raven does the Evenflow DDT onto Benoit right on the chair knocking him out cold. The Nest then pulls Page up and Raven smacks the champion around. Raven produces a microphone and challenges Page & Benoit vs Raven & his Nest for Uncensored but before Page can answer, Raven drops DDP with the Evenflow onto his US Championship belt.

Raven poses with arms outstretched over the bodies of Diamond Dallas Page & Chris Benoit as WCW Monday Nitro goes off the air.

9s5VjYZ.png

<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto+Slab&display=swap" rel="stylesheet">

<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans&display=swap" rel="stylesheet">

<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto&display=swap" rel="stylesheet">