Whats The USA offical number for Buy rates and TV shows

TEW2020 has buy rates set to 500000 and TV to 750000. I'm looking for the official number the USA does. Does anyone know? thanks.

In the US, a rating point is a percentage of the homes that have TV. So if 100 million homes have TV and Nielsen’s sample shows that 4% of those homes (so 4 million) watched your program you get a 4. That’s it in a very simplified fashion because it’s a little more complicated than that (because Nielsen is working off of samples of like, 42000 homes and not several million.

Having watched the Monday Night Wars documentary I'd be quite intrigued to know what kind of figures they were working with when they were getting for 4.2's etc..

That means that they were being watched by 4.2% of the homes that were watching TV on Monday during that time and they estimate that there are 2 people per household watching.

In 1998 one rating point represents 970,000 households. So a 4.2 is 4,074,000 homes watching a broadcast, which is roughly 8 million people (estimated).

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Historian" data-cite="Historian" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="52245" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>In the US, a rating point is a percentage of the homes that have TV. So if 100 million homes have TV and Nielsen’s sample shows that 4% of those homes (so 4 million) watched your program you get a 4. That’s it in a very simplified fashion because it’s a little more complicated than that (because Nielsen is working off of samples of like, 42000 homes and not several million.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Nielsen is just a guesstimate based on people who volunteer to put boxes in their homes. The truth is that their numbers are all mostly BS. Don't know how they still have a monopoly on this stuff in 2020.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Makhai" data-cite="Makhai" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="52245" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Nielsen is just a guesstimate based on people who volunteer to put boxes in their homes. The truth is that their numbers are all mostly BS. Don't know how they still have a monopoly on this stuff in 2020.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Oh I'm fully aware. They have about 5,000 boxes at anytime and try to be as representative of the people as they can -- but it's still 5,000 boxes for people that know their viewing habits are being tracked. I don't put a lot of stock into ratings -- I was just explaining how it works.</p>

Nielsen is just a guesstimate based on people who volunteer to put boxes in their homes. The truth is that their numbers are all mostly BS. Don't know how they still have a monopoly on this stuff in 2020.

It's actually getting a lot more accurate today with the networks starting their streaming services.

If you watch AEW on the TNT app they are automatically counting your watch. I assume that in the next few years as majority of people move from cable to individual apps, tracking viewership data will get more accurate.