Wrestling Gold DVD set

Moderndaywarrior

Has anybody else seen this? I just picked up this 5 disc set for $20 and the local video store the other day,I have only watched 2 of the 5 and I can really see so far is wow! So far,most of the footage is from SWCW,with little bits from WCCW,CWA,MSW,Detroit,and WWA.,there are some really quality matches on there(best so far was Bob Orton Jr. vs. Adrian Adonis) and the alternate commentary with Cornette and Meltzer is fairly informative;it really gives a great feel of what wrestling was like around the time of the DOTT scenario. I highly recommend it for all fans of old school traditional style wrestling and esp for those who enjoy the DOTT scenarios in WreSpi and TEW.

I've had that for awhile now. Bought it directly from VCI Entertainment to help support the company. Fantastic stuff. The thing that bugs me is that both Cornette and Meltzer got the Spoiler thing wrong - and so did everyone that ever bothered to review it, which is something to be expected. I actually bought the series thinking it was Jardine in those matches. Still, it's an excellent set. Seeing Savage piledrive Morton through the table (Memphis) was pretty amazing. Today it's no big deal, but at the time it was mind-blowing. And the very best thing about the set: it features a great assortment of Nick Bockwinkel matches. The match with Lawler, in particular, should be required watching. And you even get to see a midget beat up one of the Blackjacks. How can you go wrong? :)

I love that match.Strangely enough,I also enjoyed the Lawler/Sweetan match from SWCW also,Lawler was the true essence of an old school heel.I also really got into Orton/Adonis,seeing Adonis break out a Flying Head Scissors on Cowboy Bob boggles the mind.Only lackluster match I have seen so far was Von Erichs/Krupp& Yates, David seemed a little sluggish and Kerry botched quite a few moves (esp.that one dropkick),I guess can write that off as Kerry is obviously still new and really green in that match. Heck,I have not even watched all 5 discs yet and already the amount of quality wrestling I have seen for how little I paid ($4 per disc) is just absolutely phenomenal.

Heck yeah; the Orton vs. Adonis match was super. Back then, both men were a couple of my favorites. That match was cool from a historical perspective, as it was the finals for that Undisputed Heavyweight Title that Joe Blanchard tried to push as 'The' big title in the U.S. Alas, Blanchard and Southwest Championship were already starting to lose the momentum of that national television program (the USA Network slot that McMahon would eventually snag). And the breaking up of the Dynamic Duo of Gino Hernandez & Tully Blanchard? What a great angle. That feud was supposed to carry Southwest over the summer of '83, but Gino pulled one of his infamous skip-outs. It's really too bad, as those two were excellent together. Even better than Tully & Arn Anderson, which even Blanchard would admit today. :) How about that Nick Bockwinkel v. Bruiser Brody match with Lou Thesz as special ref! It's amazing to see Brody actually wrestle (well, if you consider Bock head scissoring him - lol), but the best part is at the end. I won't spoil it - in the event you havent seen it - but watch Bockwinkel at the end. All in all, the Wrestling Gold series is well worth it.

Yeah,I had forgotten all about SWCW with their announcer going "There's a malfunction at The Junction!" when wild fights broke out;something about that guy's voice always reminds me of Mr.Ziffel from Green Acres though.All in all,they had a good mix of traditional type wrestling with wild brawling;it's too bad the promotion pretty much tanked super fast after losing their slot on the USA network. I watched the entire set now and there really is alot of very noteworthy stuff on there,it was definitely worth every penny I paid for it.

Well,in all fairness,they only show early 80's CWA Lawler,he really was alot more decent back then during his USWA years,plus much of the Lawler stuff involves early Rick Rude and Randy Savage,it is worth it just to see those two when they were really on. Plus,you get to see Bob Sweetan.....I mean come on,it's Mr.Piledriver!:)

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE=D.Boon's Ghost]Fantastic stuff. The thing that bugs me is that both Cornette and Meltzer got the Spoiler thing wrong - and so did everyone that ever bothered to review it, which is something to be expected. I actually bought the series thinking it was Jardine in those matches. [/QUOTE] I was watching some random stuff from the set today;I noticed on disc 5 there is indeed a match with Don Jardine as The Spoiler,from the SWCW/GCW talent exchange period. So they you go,they only got it semi-wrong. :)

Weird. My disc #5 doesn't have a Spoiler match on it. The only two 'Spoiler' matches in my set are the two tag team matches: The New Fabulous Ones (Gilbert & Rich) vs. Phil Hickerson & The Spoiler (who was Frank Morrell) - and a Bruiser Brody & Scott Casey vs. Nick Kiniski & The Spoiler (I can't remember his name, but it isn't Jardine). The former was from Memphis and the latter from Southwest. The only SWCW/GCW talent exchange match on my set is the one between Larry Zybszko and Scott Casey.

Oops,you are correct,sir.It is indeed disc #4. Yeah,I picked out the Frank Morrell matches right away,his body type is nothing like Jardine,plus it you could tell those were CWA matches....though I would have gone nuts if Lawler brought in Jardine to counter Morrell,with the requisite Jardine and Morrell feud, then turn on everybody and start tag teaming twist. As for the SWCW match,it's hard to say...it COULD be Jardine (I have not seen alot of him,just enough he sure isn't built like Frank Morrell),I guess it could be one of the Grapplers too....of course,it would have helped me figure it out if he had actually gotten in some offense during that match.

Archived