WCW Versus The World [1998]

OPoqsTo.jpg

WCW Starrcade (1997) was the fifteenth annual Starrcade professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event, produced by World Championship Wrestling (WCW) on December 28, 1997, at the MCI Center in Washington, D.C.

The first match was between Dean Malenko and Eddy Guerrero for the WCW Cruiserweight Championship. Malenko had the advantage from the start of the match. Guerrero fought back briefly by attacking Malenko's left leg, but Malenko regained the advantage. This continued until Guerrero countered a suplex, and targeted the knee with the use of the ringpost and ringsteps. Guerrero performed a missile dropkick and a his patented Frog Splash, and pinned Malenko to win the match, and retain the title.

The second match was between the New World Order team of Scott Norton, Vincent and Randy Savage(w/ Miss Elizabeth) [replacing Konnan] and the team of The Steiner Brothers (Rick Steiner and Scott Steiner)(w/ Ted DiBiase) and Ray Traylor representing WCW. The match started with the nWo having the advantage over Scott. Scott fought back with a Double Underhook Bomb, and WCW gained the advantage. Vincent was dominated until Traylor missed a big splash. The nWo attacked Traylor until Rick tagged in. The Steiners double-teamed Vincent, and Scott performed a Steiner DDT. As Scott was attempting a Frankensteiner on Savage, Norton stopped him, and performed an electric chair drop. Savage then pinned Scott after a Diving Elbow Drop to win the match.

The third match was between Bill Goldberg and Steve McMichael. The match started from the entrance ramp, and went back and forth. Goldberg gained the advantage with a punch to the midsection as McMichael jumped from the top turnbuckle. Goldberg applied the kneebar, and performed a Spear. After sending McMichael through a table, Goldberg performed a Jackhammer, and pinned him to win the match.

The fourth match was scheduled to be between Raven and Chris Benoit. Raven chose not to compete, however, and for Saturn to replace him. Saturn was a member of The Flock, a cult-like group led by Raven. The match started with Benoit having the advantage. As they fought out the ring, The Flock came out of the audience, and attacked Benoit. Saturn then dominated Benoit, and targeted his neck. As Saturn climbed the turnbuckles, Benoit pushed him to the outside. Benoit applied the Crippler Crossface on Saturn, but The Flock attacked him. Raven performed an Evenflow DDT on Benoit, and Saturn applied the Rings of Saturn. Benoit had passed out from the DDT, and Saturn won the match.

The fifth match was between Buff Bagwell (nWo) and Lex Luger (WCW). Luger had the early advantage until a distraction from Vincent allowed Bagwell to fight back. Bagwell then dominated Luger. Bagwell had Luger in the sleeper hold, and Luger fought out with a belly to back suplex. Luger then blocked a big splash with his knees, and fought back. Luger had Bagwell in the Torture Rack, but the referee was knocked down. Randy Savage and Scott Norton then attempted to interfere. Luger fought off Savage, but Norton decked Luger with a clearly loaded glove. Bagwell, feigning surprise then pinned Luger to win the match.

The sixth match was between Curt Hennig (nWo) and Diamond Dallas Page (WCW) for the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship. It was originally going to be Ric Flair facing Hennig for the title and it was to be contested in a cage. However, two weeks earlier on Nitro, Flair was injured at the hands of Hennig and the New World Order. Because of the injury, DDP took Flair's place in the match. The match started back and forth until Hennig performed a hangman, and gained the advantage. Hennig targeted Page's injured ribs. Page fought back after fighting out of a chinlock with a jawbreaker. Page attacked Hennig outside the ring, and pulled Hennig's groin into the ringpost. They then exchanged attacks, and Page pinned Hennig after a Diamond Cutter to win the match and the title.

The seventh match was between Eric Bischoff (w/ Scott Hall) (nWo) and Larry Zbyszko (WCW), with Bret Hart as the guest referee. The organization of the winner would have control over WCW Monday Nitro, WCW's weekly television show. The match began with Zbyszko having the advantage. Hart appeared to be favoring Bischoff, stopping Zbyszko from using certain attacks and holds. Hart pulled Zbyszko away, and this allowed Bischoff to kick Zbyszko in the head. Bischoff continued with kicks and punches, but soon grew weary. Zbyszko fought back, and Hart pulled him back. Hall placed a steel plate in Bischoff's footwear, and Bischoff kicked Zbyszko in the head. Hart appeared to raise Bischoff's hand in victory, but Hart shoved him away instead. Hall came in, and confronted Bret asking about their deal. Bret kicked Hall in the gut and then hit a Piledriver and then applied the Sharpshooter as Zbyszko choked Bischoff. Hart awarded Zbyszko the victory by disqualification for Bischoff using the steel plate. Thus, WCW Nitro is under control of World Championship Wrestling.

The main event was between Hollywood Hogan (nWo) and Sting (Free Agent) for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. Nick Patrick, who had favored the New World Order before, was chosen as the referee through a random drawing. The match started with Hogan delivering attacks. Sting fought back with dropkicks, and applied the side headlock. Hogan sent Sting out of the ring, and attacked him with the ringpost and guard rail. Hogan performed a Big Boot, and attempted to pin Sting after an Atomic Leg Drop. However, Sting kicked out at immediately sending the arena into a frenzy. Hogan then started yelling for the New World Order to come to the ring, but a wall of WCW wrestlers form a barricade around the ring. As Hogan looks on in fear, Sting catches him from behind and drops him with the Scorpion Death Drop and then locks in the Scorpion Death Lock. Hogan had no choice but to tap out right in the middle of the ring. Sting won the WCW World Heavyweight Championship from Hollywood Hogan in the match that would go on to win Match of the Year.

Sting stands in the middle of the ring triumphant with the title held high as the WCW locker room empties and embraces as the biggest night in pro wrestling history comes to an end.

8Oq9pm7.jpg

ONmiWWy.jpg

8Oq9pm7.jpg

Starting Champions

WCW World Heavyweight Championship

oqLmd5S.jpg

GQiLMY7.jpg

WCW World Tag Team Championship

IR3NTuB.jpgIR3NTuB.jpg

h30jMbg.jpgT9tuJ6l.jpg

WCW United States Heavyweight Championship

K4MOyNn.jpg

c6BiRj0.jpg

WCW World Cruiserweight Championship

vvP6mSO.jpg

LgU4jab.jpg

WCW World Television Championship

wX2kDzO.jpg

82HnEoK.jpg

World War 3 Winner

rkVFAPM.jpg

mw7uGPp.jpg

OOC: If it wasn't obvious, the way I have this set up is that Starrcade happened on December 31st, 1997 as the last event of the year so Eddy and Disco Inferno are still Cruiserweight and Television Champion respectively. This is being done to give me more creative freedom and I also made changes to Starrcade's happenings giving me a more positive direction to go in.

0QoEawv.jpg

gnrUdbz.jpg

WCW Nitro #121: January 1, 1998

On the heels of the biggest night in professional wrestling history, WCW Nitro comes to the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Georgia.

On this historic edition of Nitro, the paradigm seems to be shifting. Confirmed for the epic two hour event are:

Diamond Dallas Page issuing a United States Championship Open Challenge. DDP won the title last night and has already made it known to the press that he plans on being a fighting champion. He says that anyone in the world is more than welcome to come and get try to take the title from him. Who will step up to the plate?

After bulldozing through Steve "Mongo" McMichael at last night's Starrcade, Bill Goldberg is taking on the older brother half of Harlem Heat; Stevie Ray. Stevie Ray has made it clear that he's not a stepping stone for Goldberg.

In Cruiserweight action, we'll see Rey Mysterio Jr take on Psychosis in a Number One Contender's Match for Eddy Guerrero's World Cruiserweight Championship. Rey is coming off multiple losses to Guerrero and Psychosis is looking to start putting more checks into the win column after defeating Joey Maggs on WCW Saturday Night.

The World Television Title will also be on the line as the Disco Inferno defends against the younger half of Harlem Heat Booker T. Booker and Stevie Ray have made it clear that they're not disbanding Harlem Heat, but they are looking forward to the future. They're goal is gold.

The Steiner Brothers (w/ Ted DiBiase) will once again team with Ray Traylor taking on their original opponents for Starrcade; Scott Norton, Buff Bagwell, and Konnan of the New World Order in hopes to get some sort of revenge for the loss at the pay per view.

On the topic of getting revenge, former Four Horsemen member Chris Benoit has requested a tag match with any two members of The Flock. He hasn't made it clear who his partner will be, but he promises it's someone that he can trust to have his back. Who could Benoit's partner be?

In the main event, November's World War 3 winner and Number One Contender for the World Heavyweight Championship Scott Hall will be taking on Lex Luger. Can Scott Hall start building momentum on his collision course with Sting at SuperBrawl VIII or will The Total Package put him in the Rack?

In non match related news for this colossal episode of Nitro, Bret Hart will be addressing the WCW Faithful on his plans for his WCW career.

The word around the locker room is that the executives at Turner Broadcasting have appointed a NEW President of World Championship Wrestling and whoever it is will be on hand to make a ground breaking announcement. With JJ Dillon, Roddy Piper, and Eric Bischoff officially left without power, who is the new President and what do they have to say?

Card:

WCW United States Heavyweight Title Match

Diamond Dallas Page© vs ???

Bonus: Who will answer the open challenge?

Bill Goldberg vs Stevie Ray

Number One Contender's Match

Rey Mysterio Jr vs Psychosis

WCW World Television Championship Match

Booker T vs Disco Inferno©

The Steiner Brothers(w/ Ted DiBiase) & Ray Traylor vs The nWo [Vicious & Delicious & Konnan]

Chris Benoit & ??? vs The Flock [??? & ???]

Bonus 1: Who will be Benoit's partner?

Bonus 2: Which two members of The Flock will wrestle?

Lex Luger vs Scott Hall

Show Bonus

Bonus 1: Who is the new WCW President?

Bonus 2: What's their announcement?

I'll have a go... I'm usually rubbish at these!

Card:

Bonus: Who will answer the open challenge?

DDP picks up the win. Now... my guess would be against Jericho.

Goldberg

Rey Mysterio Jr.

Booker T

The Steiner Brothers(w/ Ted DiBiase) & Ray Traylor vs The nWo [Vicious & Delicious & Konnan]

Steiners & Traylor

Chris Benoit & ??? vs The Flock [???, ???, ???]

Bonus 1: Who will be Benoit's partner?

Bonus 2: Which three members of The Flock will wrestle?

Chris Benoit & Steve McMichael. Benoits team to win. 3 Members of The Flock will be Saturn, Riggs & Kidman.

Lex Luger vs Scott Hall

Lex Luger

Show Bonus

Bonus 1: Who is the new WCW President?

Bonus 2: What's their announcement?

Ric Flair President

David Flair #1 contender to Sting for the World title... I honestly don't know! :D

Bonus: Who will answer the open challenge? I’ll go with Saturn

Who’s next after Stevie?

If Psychosis has his mask off, put it back on.

I think this is a good spot for Booker to try and start a singles run. Disco was a comedy guy and I liked the TV back when it meant something (Dusty, Tully and Arn days)

Bonus 1: Who will be Benoit's partner? Bret Hart

Bonus 2: Which three members of The Flock will wrestle? Kidman and Kanyon

Lex Luger vs Scott Hall

Hall was a favorite and I was never a big Luger as a babyface fan.

Show Bonus

Bonus 1: Who is the new WCW President? JJ Dillon

Bonus 2: What's their announcement? There will be a rematch Hogan challenges Sting

Bonus: Who will answer the open challenge? Norton

Bonus 1: Who will be Benoit's partner? Malenko

Bonus 2: Which three members of The Flock will wrestle? Raven, Saturn, ?

Lex Luger vs Scott Hall

Show Bonus

Bonus 1: Who is the new WCW President? Flair

Bonus 2: What's their announcement? Flair vs Sting

I was a huge WCW fan and will definitely be following this!

Bonus: Who will answer the open challenge? Random guess is Jericho.

I'm always intrigued to see what people do with Goldberg, if they follow what happened in real life with the streak, but either way I don't see Bill losing here.

Should be a hell of a match.

I'm not sure Booker should be TV Champ in 98 but the top of the card is so stacked at this point that he might have to make the most of that for a while.

Torn between a DQ win for the Steiners and Traylor and a cheap wn for the nWo but going with the nWo.

Bonus 1: Who will be Benoit's partner? Here comes Mongo!

Bonus 2: Which three members of The Flock will wrestle? Saturn, Kidman and Lodi

Don't see Raven himself wrestling in this one.

Lex Luger vs Scott Hall

As the winner of World War 3, I feel Hall needs to be booked strongly to make him as big of a threat to Sting's reign as possible and a win over Luger here, even a tainted one, would be a great step in that direction.

Show Bonus

Bonus 1: Who is the new WCW President? Ric Flair

Bonus 2: What's their announcement? I feel like it will be something to do with Hollywood Hogan, maybe a rematch against Sting?

So word of advice, don't write up your show preview at 5am while stoned or you'll make mistakes.

Benoit & his mystery partner are only facing two members of The Flock. No idea where I got that extra body, but if everyone wants to edit their picks accordingly, that's fine.

Not sure if I'll be doing any sort of contests, but I'll try to keep track of who is getting the most right as we go on.

As for the show, I have it mostly written up, but not ran yet as I'm doing a lot of back end work on the data to get it where I want going forward.

Dude this is looking pretty awesome. Great start. Looking forward to finding out who else is on your roster and who you're bringing in.

Bonus: Who will answer the open challenge? Raven

They had a fantastic feud back in the day. I'd like to see your take on it.

Hmm... 2 minutes? Minute and a half? Who's next?

Rey edges it but I'd be happy with either.

Unsure whether you're beginning Booker's singles push here or further up the card. I'm going to say here. New TV champ, please.

Anyone smell a Boss Man heel turn?

Bonus 1: Who will be Benoit's partner? Malenko

Bonus 2: Which two members of The Flock will wrestle? Riggs and Sick Boy

Lex Luger vs Scott Hall

Show Bonus

Bonus 1: Who is the new WCW President? Ric Flair (although I'd want it to be just about anyone else).

Bonus 2: What's their announcement? Hogan rematch against Sting

Bonus: Who will answer the open challenge? Chris Jericho

Bonus 1: Who will be Benoit's partner? Dean Malenko

Bonus 2: Which two members of The Flock will wrestle? Saturn & Hammer

Lex Luger vs Scott Hall

Show Bonus

Bonus 1: Who is the new WCW President? Arn Anderson

Bonus 2: What's their announcement? Hogan/Sting rematch

Diamond Dallas Page © vs ???

Bonus: Who will answer the open challenge? Kevin Nash

Booker T vs Disco Inferno ©

Bonus 1: Who will be Benoit's partner? Eddie Guerrero

Bonus 2: Which two members of The Flock will wrestle? Raven & Saturn

Lex Luger vs Scott Hall

Show Bonus

Bonus 1: Who is the new WCW President? JJ Dillon

Bonus 2: What's their announcement? Hogan/Sting rematch

Bonus: Who will answer the open challenge? Steve McMichael

Bonus 1: Who will be Benoit's partner? Dean Malenko

Bonus 2: Which two members of The Flock will wrestle? Riggs and Sick Boy

Lex Luger vs Scott Hall

Show Bonus

Bonus 1: Who is the new WCW President? Piper

Bonus 2: What's their announcement? Rematch Hogan vs Sting