René Goulet vs. George Gordienko

Dutch Savage vs. Tiny Mills

Canadian Women's Championship

Renée Martel © vs. Margot Bouchard

AWA World Tag Team Championship

Mitsu Arakawa & Dr. Moto** © vs. Mighty Igor & "Cowboy" Bill Watts

AWA World Heavyweight Championship - Two out of Three Falls

Verne Gagne (C) vs. "Pretty Boy" Larry Hennig

Following the previous May 10 AWA Winnipeg card, a number of the wrestlers who took part in that card flew out to St. Paul, Minnesota for an event the next night. On the early afternoon of that card, the wrestlers were gathered at the studio of Minneapolis independent station WTCN-TV*, where the matches for the syndicated AWA All-Star Wrestling program were held. While at the station, TV interviews tailored for the markets where the AWA would be holding upcoming events where its show aired were recorded, including the following interview, which was tailored for the program as aired on Pembina, North Dakota station KCND-TV**:

Marty O'NeilMargot Bouchard

MARTY O'NEIL: Coming up on Friday night, May 31, Winnipeg promoter Al Tomko will be putting on a night of AWA action at the Winnipeg Arena with seven big matches. In the main event, you'll see the World Heavyweight Champion Verne Gagne defend his title against the challenge of "Pretty Boy" Larry Hennig. In tag team action, the World Tag Team Champions, the Japanese duo of Mitsu Arakawa and Dr. Moto will defend their belts against the Mighty Igor and "Cowboy" Bill Watts. In more singles action, Dutch Savage faces off against former World Tag Team Champion Tiny Mills, and the Canadian Girls' Wrestling Champion Renée Martel will defend her title against my guest at this time, Margot Bouchard. Welcome to the show, Margot.

MARGOT BOUCHARD: Your pleasure, O'Neil, strictly your pleasure.

O'NEIL: You're currently a top contender to Renée Martel's Canadian Girls' title and you've been seeking to get that title since she first won it over a month ago. How do you plan to...

BOUCHARD: (Interrupting) Let me just stop you right there a moment, O'Neil, and I'll lay it out for everyone watching at home. I've had a rivalry going with Renée Martel since shortly after she first debuted in the sport almost three years ago and every time the two of us have met in the ring, I've dominated her from bell to bell. I don't care how well trained she is as a wrestler and I don't care how well she does against other opponents, but when she goes up against me, I prove every time just how overrated she is as a wrestler.

O'NEIL: Well, she must be doing something right if she has the Canadian Girls' title belt.

BOUCHARD: And the only reason she has that belt is because I wasn't entered in the tournament where she won it. If I had been, you'd be talking to me as the champion right now - don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

O'NEIL: The last time you faced off against Martel for her title in Winnipeg, it ended with you getting the win via countout, but not the title.

BOUCHARD: Because she knew I had her beat for the belt, so she stayed out of the ring long enough to get herself counted out.

O'NEIL: Not according to some of the fans who saw your match. They said you brawled with her outside the ring and you got back into the ring just ahead of her right near the end of the referee's count.

BOUCHARD: Hey, what do I care what the fans think they saw? Of course they'll defend her because she kisses up to those fans, but anyone with even half a brain knows that I was the better wrestler that night and I had that belt won, that's why she stayed out just long enough to take the countout and keep me from the belt that I rightfully deserve. Well, now I got another chance at the belt on May 31 in Winnipeg and there's nothing standing between me and my destiny to become the Canadian Champion. Let me tell you something, Martel - (switches to French) quand je vous reçois dans ce ring de lutte ce soir-là à Winnipeg, je vous démonte pièce par pièce et je quitte ce ring de lutte comme le nouveau champion - croyez-le!

O'NEIL: Not everyone watching us out there speaks French, Margot - care to translate?

BOUCHARD: Hey, your viewers are so smart, let them figure it out!

O'NEIL: Well, there you have it, folks - Margot Bouchard has determined to get the Canadian Girls' Championship from Renée Martel and they'll face off for that belt on May 31 at the Winnipeg Arena. Tickets for that event are available at the Arena box office and at the Marlborough Hotel's wrestling office, so get them while they're available!

* That station is now NBC affiliate KARE.

** KCND-TV (mentioned on the AWA wrestling posters displayed elsewhere in the diary) was, as noted above, originally a station based in Pembina, North Dakota, signed on in 1960 with partial affiliations with the ABC and NBC networks. Due to Pembina's population being too small to support the station itself, KCND (which carried AWA All-Star Wrestling) targeted the much larger Winnipeg market across the Canadian border and had studios in both Pembina and Winnipeg. KCND was purchased by Canwest in March 1975, then moved into Winnipeg and recalled as new independent station CKND-TV on August 31, 1975; since 1997, it has operated as Winnipeg's Global TV O&O station.

American Wrestling Association @ Winnipeg Arena

May 31, 1968 - Winnipeg, Manitoba

Attendance - 11,220

Orest AntonationBobby Jones

Orest Antonation defeated Bobby Jones by pinfall.

Luke BrownThe Big K

Luke Brown defeated The Big K by pinfall follwing a powerslam.

René GouletGeorge Gordienko

René Goulet defeated George Gordienko by submission with a Boston crab.

Dutch SavageTiny Mills

Dutch Savage defeated Tiny Mills by pinfall following a running piledriver.

Renée MartelCanadian Women's ChampionshipMargot Bouchard

In a rematch from the May 10 card, Renée Martel © defeated Margot Bouchard by disqualification when Bouchard slugged the referee as he tried to stop her from choking Martel against the ropes. Frustrated over getting denied the title due to the DQ, Bouchard continued pounding Martel post-match, but when she whipped the champion to the ropes for a clothesline, Renée ducked and caught Bouchard on the rebound with a dropkick, sending her foe out of the ring.

AWA World Tag Team Championship

Mitsu ArakawaDr. MotoAWA World Tag Team ChampionshipMighty IgorBill Watts

Mitsu Arakawa & Dr. Moto © defeated Mighty Igor & Bill Watts when Moto pinned Watts following a karate chop; prior to the pin, however, Moto had thrown salt in Watts' eyes while the referee was distracted breaking up a brawl between Arakawa and Igor.

AWA World Heavyweight Championship - Two out of Three Falls

AWA World Heavyweight ChampionshipLarry Hennig

Verne Gagne © defeated Larry Hennig, two falls to one.

• First fall - Gagne took the fall when Hennig was counted out as he did not get back into the ring in time to beat the referee's ten-count after getting dropkicked out of the ring by Gagne.
  • Second fall - Hennig evened the match when he pinned Gagne following a powerslam.
  • Third fall - Gagne won when he subdued Hennig with the sleeperhold for the submission.

Prediction results: (Thanks to all who made their predictions for this card)

Lord Byron - 5/7

Herrbear - 6/7

The Blonde Bomber - 7/7

All-time prediction results:

Herrbear - 78/107

Lord Byron - 37/53

The Blonde Bomber - 26/32

Hitman74 - 10/12

Theheel - 7/10

Dalton - 6/6

auto45 - 5/6

Sco_xY2Jx - 2/6

Now that all the pages in my diary have successfully transferred over and appeared (thanks to Arlie for the hard work in making it happen), it's time to get back to business:

NWA All-Star Wrestling @ Pacific Coliseum
June 3, 1968 - Vancouver, British Columbia
Attendance - 10,539

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png
Bad Boy Shields defeated Tony Orford by pinfall.

spacer.pngspacer.png
Jack Bence fought Karl Von Steiger to a time-limit draw.

spacer.pngspacer.png
Roy McClarty defeated Kurt Von Steiger by pinfall following a cross-bodyblock.

spacer.pngspacer.png
Erich Froelich defeated Gorgeous George Jr. by pinfall following a flying dropkick.

spacer.pngspacer.png
Pat Barrett defeated Armand Hussein by pinfall.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Renée Martel (C) put up a spirited battle to retain her title as she battled Margot Bouchard to a time-limit draw.

NWA Canadian Tag Team Championship

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Haystacks Calhoun & Don Leo Jonathan defeated The Assassins (C) to win the title when Calhoun pinned Assassin I following a big splash.

NWA World Heavyweight Championship

Tex McKenzie defeated Gene Kiniski (C) by disqualification when Kiniski threw McKenzie over the top rope (Kiniski retains his title due to the DQ).

• Like 1

Before continuing, let's go back in time a couple of years for a card which introduces a well-known future legend of the sport early in his career - but which will also introduce two female wrestlers who will soon fall into Renée Martel's orbit as the diary moves into mid-1968.

Fédération Française du Catch Professionnel @ Palais de la Mutualité
February 13, 1966 - Paris, France

spacer.png

Guy MercierVersus 2.pngspacer.png
Guy Mercier wrestled Jacky Corne to a time-limit draw.

Billy RobinsonVersus 2.pngRay Apollon
Billy Robinson wrestled Ray Apollon to a time-limit draw.

Jean FerréVersus 2.pngspacer.png
Jean Ferré* defeated Yves Amor by pinfall following an elbow drop.

European Women's Championship

Françoise HardyEuropean Women's ChampionshipFrance Gall
Françoise Hardy** (C) retained her title by defeating France Gall*** by pinfall with a head-and-arm trap pinning combination.

Jack de LasartesseVersus 2.pngRobert Duranton
Jack de Lasartesse**** defeated Robert Duranton by pinfall.

* Yep, that is André the Giant in his younger days, early in his formative years in the sport in his native France.

** IRL, Françoise Hardy is a retired French singer/songwriter, active between 1962 and 2018.  ITTL, she became a professional wrestler instead, active in the sport primarily in mainland Europe and the United Kingdom from the early 1960s.

*** IRL, France Gall was the stage name used by Isabelle Gall, a French singer active from 1963 to 1997; she died of complications from cancer on January 7, 2018.  ITTL, she likewise became a professional wrestler and also started out competing in Europe from her 1965 pro debut, but was already looking to expand her horizons beyond that part of the world.

**** Jack de Lasartesse was one of the ring names used by Swiss wrestler Edouard Probst during his career, when he competed mainly in Europe; he also wrestled in the United States in 1957 and 1958 using the ring name Ludwig Von Krupp, where his highest profile match was an unsuccessful challenge against then-NWA World Champion Dick Hutton on September 25, 1958 in Washington, D.C.

Edited by Old School Fan

I once read an interview with Billy Graham.

When he was wrestling for Stu up there in Calgary, he once had a match with Billy Robinson.

Robinson had a rep for taking advantage of wrestlers and sometimes hurting them on purpose.

Graham taped blades to his fingers in the dressing room and approached Robinson and told Billy if he screwed with him during their match that he was gonna cut Robinson up.

Robinson told Billy he was wrong and didn't do that.

They had their match and Graham said he didn't even know Robinson was in the ring with him because Robinson worked so light.

Glad to see this back.

Hope my imaginary GF Renee' is champeen for a while!

Glad to see this back!

I miss the old school time-limit draws.

Edited by piperrulz
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 7:39 PM, piperrulz said:

I once read an interview with Billy Graham.

When he was wrestling for Stu up there in Calgary, he once had a match with Billy Robinson.

Robinson had a rep for taking advantage of wrestlers and sometimes hurting them on purpose.

Graham taped blades to his fingers in the dressing room and approached Robinson and told Billy if he screwed with him during their match that he was gonna cut Robinson up.

Robinson told Billy he was wrong and didn't do that.

They had their match and Graham said he didn't even know Robinson was in the ring with him because Robinson worked so light.

Glad to see this back.

Hope my imaginary GF Renee' is champeen for a while!

Glad to see this back!

I miss the old school time-limit draws.

Speaking of Billy Robinson, this YouTube clip covers the contract signing of a championship match between him and Dino Bravo to take place in Montreal on March 7, 1983, with a stipulation added in response to the stalling tactics the then-heel Robinson had been using during his title defences:

https://youtu.be/ET9XQIGYw14?t=24 

(from Superstars of Wrestling, February 1983; the contract signing starts at 24 seconds into the clip)

• Like 1

June 1968

Two days after returning from Vancouver to Montreal, Renée Martel and Michèle Richard arrived at Johnny Rougeau's office after being called over by Johnny.  "Come on in, Renée and Michèle, take a seat," the All-Star Wrestling owner said as he indicated the two empty chairs in front of his desk.  "I'm glad you came by because I got some news to tell you."

"What's that, Johnny?" a curious Renée asked.

"Well, you both know about the work I've been doing to build up our women's division, to give the two of you new opponents to face, right?" Johnny said.

"Sure, you know we're both game to face new challenges," Michèle replied.

"While you've been away, I've been getting in touch with promoters from outside North America to see about sending available female wrestlers they may have to Canada on tour," Johnny said.  "Mildred Burke told me she'd heard that promoters in Japan are trying to organize a new all-girl promotion over there, but she hasn't heard anything new regarding that yet.  I did hear back from a British promoter, though - he's been booking two girls from France to tour around the British circuit and they've been a hit wherever they've appeared except in London, and only because London doesn't allow women's wrestling within its borders."

"So the girls aren't allowed to wrestle in London?  That doesn't sound fair," Renée said, voicing her displeasure at what she heard.

"You're right, but where they've been allowed to wrestle in the United Kingdom, they've been drawing crowds, those two girls," Johnny said.  "They've been doing great going between there and West Germany to wrestle.  When the promoter asked the girls if they'd be willing to come over to Canada to wrestle and build up their experience, he said they both jumped at the chance.  They flew over from London and arrived in Montreal a few days ago while you were still in Vancouver, and they're busy in the gym right now, sparring and watching the other girls practice."

"I'd sure like to see what they're like as wrestlers," Michèle said.

"You will, but there's something you should know first," Johnny said.  "The style of pro wrestling used over in Europe is very different from how it's done in North America.  They use more of a technical-based style and their matches are done in rounds, much like in boxing.  They also don't do a good guy/bad guy divide or related gimmicks in most European promotions to the extent that the North American promotions do."

"Then I guess they're finding out right now just how different things are with wrestling here than across the Atlantic," Renée said with a small giggle.

"Well, you'll find out just what they think of our style of wrestling," Johnny said as he got up from his desk.  "Just a second, I'll go get them."  He then went into the gym for a moment, then returned soon after with the ladies he had talked about.

"Hello, I'm Françoise Hardy," the taller of the two women, who had long brown hair with bangs, introduced herself as she extended her right hand for handshakes with Renée and Michèle, who likewise introduced themselves.  "This is France Gall," Françoise then introduced the shorter girl, who had long blonde hair and wore a hair clip to keep her hair out of her face.

"Hello, nice to meet you both," France said next as she also shook hands with Renée and Michèle.  "Isabelle's my real first name, but you can call me France - everyone I know does."

"Okay, France," Renée said with a giggle.  "So how're you two enjoying Montreal so far?"

"Well, it's not quite as big as Paris, but what we've seen so far looks good," Françoise admitted.  "I've seen a lot of nice places here to shop and dine at, but what really surprised me while we travelled around town were these buildings, what do you call them... 'shopping malls'?"

"That's what they are," Renée confirmed with a grin.  "I guess they're not like the shopping areas that exist in Paris, are they?"

"Oh, no, not close," Françoise said with a laugh.  "I don't think there's anything like that anywhere in France for that matter, where all the shops are under one roof and you don't have to worry about the weather while you go between shops - it's very different here from there, especially the underground malls."

"Yeah, I imagine so," Michèle joined in with a nod.

"Okay, getting back to wrestling, what do you and France think of the style of pro wrestling we use here compared with the European style?" Johnny then asked.

"Big difference between here and Europe," Françoise explained, turning to Renée and Michèle.  "Johnny probably already told you about the differences in wrestling style, but one of the other ones is that we don't use wrestling gimmicks in Europe. We prefer to focus on the wrestling itself."

"Yeah, Johnny told us that too," Michèle said.  "He also said the European promotions don't do heroes vs. villains like the companies in North America do."

"That's right, for the same reason," Françoise said.

"But since you're wrestling in Canada now, do you think you'd be open to doing a gimmick?" Renée asked.

"Hmm, I don't know - it would depend on who I'd be facing in the ring," Françoise said.

"One of the reasons I brought you over to Canada, Françoise, was to book you for a series of matches against Renée, to eventually challenge her for her Canadian Women's Championship," Johnny pointed out.  "Since Renée wrestles as a heroine in Canada and in the United States, facing off against her would make you appear as the villain to the fans, as would teaming with Michèle since she's the main villain in our women's division."

"Okay, so what would I need to do to play off that role?" Françoise asked.

"I could show you what to do," Michèle volunteered.  "I've wrestled as a villain since I debuted and it's easy to do once you know how.  Since you came here from France, you could play that up by portraying yourself as arrogant and superior-acting, then back it up with your talent and mix in a bit of rulebreaking.  How good are you with doing TV interviews?"

"I've done a few when I appeared on TV for matches in France and in England," Françoise said.  "I'm fluent in both French and English, so it wouldn't be a problem."

"Good, it'll be necessary as part of the gimmick you'd be doing," Michèle said.  "In your interviews, you could proclaim French wrestlers as the superior athletes while you run down and insult the popular Canadian wrestlers and the fans who root for them.  Study up on the cities you wrestle in and learn about their sports teams so you can mock and make fun of them, that'll get the crowd rooting against you and for your opponent.  The trick, though, is don't go overboard and get the fans too mad at you - just get them mad enough that they want to see you lose, but not so mad that they want to riot and tear the arena - and you - apart."

"Ah, okay," Françoise said with a nervous laugh.  "I'll keep that in mind."

"How about you, France?" Renée then said.  "I've heard you're good in the ring yourself, but how good are your TV interview skills?"

"Yeah, about that," Françoise said.  "France is good with interviews too - as long as she does them in French.  She only has a basic grasp of English right now*, so she wouldn't do so well on English interviews, but she wants to learn and improve her English skills."

"Here, I'll give her a test," Johnny said, handing an English-language arena program to France to read. "Read the top article on the first page for us out loud."

"Okay, I'll try," France said as she held up the program and started to read it, somewhat haltingly.  "Last w... Er, last week event...at the Paul Sauvé Arena was a success...thanks to...to the..."  She then put down the program and let out a nervous giggle.  "See, it's like Françoise said," the blonde girl explained.  "My English isn't really the best, so I couldn't do TV in that language right now."

"But you want to learn to speak it more fluently," Renée said.

"Oh yes, I do," France said with a nod.

"How will you do that?" Renée asked.

France then started digging into her purse and took out a pair of books - one a bilingual pocket dictionary of French-English and English-French, the other a book of English phrases for French speakers.  "I've been using these to help me learn," she said as she showed the books to Renée, Michèle and Johnny.  "I'm also thinking of learning by ear by watching American TV shows in English to hear how it sounds."

"Well, that's a way of learning English," Renée said with a laugh.  "That's how I learned when I was living in the US for a few years with my family while I was growing up."

"Yeah," France said with a giggle of her own as she put her books back in her purse.  "Say, could you and Michèle show us how you wrestle when you're in the ring?" she then asked Renée.

"Sure we can," Renée said with a grin as she and Michèle got up from their chairs.  "At the same time, you can show us your wrestling styles while we're in the gym.  Françoise, what's your style?"

"Right now, strictly technical," Françoise said as the group left Johnny's office to head into the neighboring training gym.

"I mix technical with some acrobatic and aerial moves," France pointed out.  "The acrobatic moves work well for my size because I'm one of the lighter girls in the sport."

"Great, but how's it worked out for you so far, France?" Michèle asked.

"Well... So far up to now, I haven't won a single match yet," France admitted with a smirk as the group arrived at the training ring.  "Even though my skills are good, because of my size, I've been used to help make other wrestlers like Françoise look good themselves in the ring."

"Whoa, seriously?  You haven't won a match yet?" Michèle remarked, stunned to hear that during her entire time wrestling in Europe, France (who shook her head in response to Michèle's question) had been used mainly as a jobber by the promoters who had booked her.

"Well, we should see what we can do to change that," Renée said with a grin, prompting a small smile from France.

* As noted in an earlier chapter, whenever two or more Francophone characters speak together in this diary, they are assumed to be speaking French with each other (but translated to English for reader benefit); in this case, the featured characters here were already doing so when France attempted to read in English from the arena wrestling program.

In the newest issue of the All-Star Wrestling arena program, "The Russian Bear" Ivan Koloff takes a moment to rile up readers by bragging about the alleged "superiority" of the USSR while dissing the West and rival wrestlers (including Johnny Rougeau):

spacer.png

Meanwhile on Page Two, the two new French girl grapplers are introduced, and a rundown of the upcoming card:

spacer.png

• Like 2

spacer.png

All-Star Wrestling @ Paul Sauvé Arena
June 10, 1968 - Montreal, Quebec

spacer.png

spacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.png
Antonio Baillargeon defeated Don Serrano by pinfall following a dropkick.

Dale Roberts wrestled Matt Gilmore to a time-limit draw.

Buster Lloyd defeated Paul Bouchard by pinfall following a headbutt.

spacer.pngspacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
Françoise Hardy (in her first appearance in Montreal) & Margot Bouchard defeated Renée Martel & France Gall (also making her Montreal debut) when Hardy scored the upset pin on Martel with a crossface cradle pinning combination.

2-on-1 Handicap match

spacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
Angelo "King Kong" Mosca defeated Gerard Dugas & Eddie Auger by pinfall.

Johnny Rougeau & Gino Brito battled Ivan Koloff & The Great Mephisto* to a no-contest when both teams were disqualified for all four wrestlers brawling in the ring at once.

* This Great Mephisto is not Frankie Cain, the best-known wrestler to go by that ring name (which he used while using an Arab gimmick, similar to The Sheik); the Great Mephisto who appeared on this card also wrestled as the Mighty Atlas in the United States.

• Like 1

spacer.png

American Wrestling Association @ Winnipeg Civic Auditorium
June 21, 1968 - Winnipeg, Manitoba

Attendance - 4,000

spacer.png

Dr. X defeated Dutch Savage by submission with a figure-four leglock.

2-on-1 Handicap match

spacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
Man Mountain Mike defeated Bill Kochen* & The Big K when he big-splashed each wrestler, then pinned both simultaneously.

Françoise Hardy defeated Renée Martel (C) by countout when Martel could not get back into the ring in time to beat the referee's ten-count after Hardy suplexed her onto the arena floor at ringside (Martel retains her title due to the countout).

Larry Hennig defeated René Goulet by pinfall following a powerslam.

Two out of Three Falls

Bill Watts defeated Harley Race, two falls to one.

• First fall - Race pinned Watts with a Fisherman Suplex.
  • Second fall - Race was disqualified for ramming Watts head-first into a corner post outside the ring.
  • Third fall - Watts won when he pinned Race following a powerslam.

* Bill Kochen was the father of wrestler Dave Kochen, who also wrestled and refereed in the AWA using the ring name Buddy Lane.

Edited by Old School Fan
  • Like 1

Francoise throws a slight that effects Margot stating European wrestlers are better. Wonder how she feels about that. Especially considering she’s on pace to take out Renee herself in what Margot could not do. Will there be jealousy envy or will Margot be happy Renee is dealt with. I can see ms hardy taking the belt soon. I bet Renee is not 100% after that Brutal suplex on the floor. That should be illegal the referee needs to keep the wrestling In the ring.

• Like 1

spacer.png

July 8, 1968 - Montreal, Quebec

spacer.png

Larry Moquin defeated Jerry Dorsey by pinfall with a cross-bodyblock.

Antonio Baillargeon & Jacques Rougeau defeated Terry Garvin & Matt Gilmore when Baillargeon pinned Garvin following a flying dropkick.

Ox Baker defeated Eddie Auger by pinfall following a Heart Punch.

Ivan Koloff defeated Dale Roberts by submission with a bearhug.

The opening moments of this title match between Françoise Hardy and champion Renée Martel saw the two trade a series of scientific holds.  Later in the match, Martel applied a figure-four leglock, but Hardy made it to the ropes to force Renée to break the hold.  Later still, as Martel regained the upper hand after Hardy maintained control for some time, Margot Bouchard, even though she was not scheduled to wrestle that night, came to ringside from the locker room area to taunt and intimidate Martel.  As Renée argued with her archrival, Hardy took advantage of the distraction and drove her knee into Martel's back, then rolled up and cradled Martel to win the title.  The fans, outraged over Bouchard's involvement factoring into the outcome, booed as Hardy was awarded the Canadian Women's title belt and celebrated with Bouchard, who gloated at the downed Renée to rub in her nemesis' title loss.

ASW  World Heavyweight Championship

Johnny Rougeau (C) defeated Waldo Von Erich by submission with a sleeperhold.

• Like 2

On the July 13 edition of Superstars of the Mat, Margot Bouchard and Françoise Hardy are interviewed in the aftermath of Hardy's victory over Renée Martel for the Canadian Women's Championship:

INTERVIEWER:  My next two guests at this time have stirred up a lot of controversy on the wrestling scene in the last few days, thanks to one of them defeating Renée Martel this past Monday in Montreal to win the Canadian Women's Championship.  And here they are now, Margot Bouchard and the new Canadian Women's Champion, Françoise Hardy.  (Notices Bouchard is laughing) Okay, Margot, can I ask what's so funny?

MARGOT BOUCHARD:  (Continues laughing for a moment) You want to know what's so funny, ______?  I told you, didn't I?  I told everyone out there from the beginning that Renée Martel is overrated as a wrestler!  I've been going out of my way to prove it time and again for nearly three years, and last Monday night at the Paul Sauvé Arena, Françoise Hardy confirmed what I've already been saying all this time when she beat Martel to win that title Françoise has with her right now, the Canadian Women's Championship!  I've also said that Martel was overrated as a champion and undeserving of that title, and now that she's lost it to Françoise, Martel can slink right back into obscurity where she belongs!  (Bouchard laughs mockingly again)

INTERVIEWER:  Well, Miss Hardy, you finally accomplished what you said you'd do, win the Canadian Women's title, and you got it done quickly after you arrived in Canada from your native France - but you can't be too proud of how you won the title, relying on a distraction by Margot to blindside Renée before pinning her for the belt.

FRANÇOISE HARDY:  (Scoffing) Now why should it matter how I won this championship?  I won it and that's all that matters.  I have reigned as the European Women's Champion for over four years now, and now I have another title to add to my list of accomplishments...  (Holds up the Canadian Women's title belt before the studio camera) This championship you see here, the Canadian Women's Championship.  If I were to choose to, I could hold this title for as long as I've held my European title, which would be an easy thing to accomplish when most of the women who wrestle in Canada - with the present exception of Margot Bouchard here - would pose no challenge to me, and that includes Renée Martel.

INTERVIEWER:  I'm pretty sure Martel and the fans watching this show would beg to differ.  Now you do know that as the former champion, Martel is entitled to receive a rematch for the title as part of the rematch clause.

HARDY:  Yes, she does, but what difference will it make?  Renée Martel will get her rematch, but the outcome will still be the same as I retain this title and send her to the back of the line of championship contenders - and it will also be my pleasure to do so in front of all those Canadian peasants who watch her and cheer for her.

BOUCHARD:  So, Martel, you hear that?  When Françoise is done with you, you're going right back to the bottom of the ladder and I'm gonna see to it you stay there!

INTERVIEWER:  I think we'll see what happens when Françoise Hardy and Renée Martel face off in their eventual rematch for the Canadian Women's title down the road.  Stay tuned, we've got more action coming up after these messages!

Edited by Old School Fan

The poster for the July 18 AWA event in Winnipeg is now up:

spacer.png

And once again, it's prediction time:  😁

Bobby Jones vs. Stan the Moose*

Luke Brown vs. Dutch Savage

Man Mountain Mike vs. Dr. X

The Crusher vs. Harley Race

Françoise Hardy (C) vs. Renée Martel

Canadian Heavyweight Championship**

Marcel Martel (C) vs. The Big K

Gene Kiniski (C) vs. Bill Watts

$2,500 12-man Battle Royal

The Crusher * Gene Kiniski * Man Mountain Mike * The Big K * Bill Watts * Bobby Jones * Dr. X * Harley Race * Marcel Martel * Luke Brown * Stan the Moose * Al Tomko

* AKA Moose Morowski.

** The Canadian Heavyweight Championship from All-Star Wrestling in Montreal, booked for this event.

• Like 1

Bobby Jones vs. Stan the Moose*

Luke Brown vs. Dutch Savage

Man Mountain Mike vs. Dr. X

The Crusher vs. Harley Race

Françoise Hardy (C) vs. Renée Martel

Canadian Heavyweight Championship**

Marcel Martel (C) vs. The Big K

Gene Kiniski (C) vs. Bill Watts

The Crusher * Gene Kiniski * Man Mountain Mike * The Big K * Bill Watts * Bobby Jones * Dr. X * Harley Race * Marcel Martel * Luke Brown * Stan the Moose * Al Tomko

• Like 1

While awaiting any further predictions, here's a YouTube clip of one of the participants in the upcoming AWA card in Winnipeg:

Moose Morowski (AKA Stan the Moose) vs. Verne Siebert (from All-Star Wrestling TV taping in Burnaby, BC, early 1980s; Al Tomko, another participant in the upcoming card and the Winnipeg promoter for the AWA at the time of that card both IRL and ITTL, also makes an appearance here)

Edited by Old School Fan

spacer.png

American Wrestling Association @ Winnipeg Arena
July 18, 1968 - Winnipeg, Manitoba

spacer.png

Stan the Moose defeated Bobby Jones by pinfall with a powerslam.

Dutch Savage defeated Luke Brown by pinfall following a thumb to the throat.

Man Mountain Mike defeated Dr. X when X was disqualified for ramming Mike's head into a corner post outside the ring.

The Crusher defeated Harley Race by pinfall following a Bolo Punch.

Françoise Hardy (C) defeated Renée Martel by pinfall via a rollup, but used a handful of Renée's tights for illegal leverage (not seen by the referee) to get the pin, picking up on a trick sometimes used by Hardy's new cohort Margot Bouchard to try to get questionable pinfalls over Renée in past matches.

Canadian Heavyweight Championship

Marcel Martel (C) defeated The Big K by submission with a figure-four leglock.

Gene Kiniski (C) retained his title by pinfall over Bill Watts following a backbreaker.

spacer.png
Man Mountain Mike won the match and the $2,500 prize when, as Harley Race (one of the last three participants left in the ring) was attempting to throw the Crusher over the top rope, Mike came over and seized Race, then sent both wrestlers over to finish as the sole survivor (other participants in the match, in order of elimination, were Bobby Jones, Al Tomko, The Big K, Luke Brown, Marcel Martel, Dr. X, Stan the Moose, Bill Watts and Gene Kiniski).  Early in the match, Mike was ganged up on by the rulebreakers in an attempt to eliminate him from the match early to increase their chances of winning, but all efforts to eliminate the big man by tossing him over the top rope proved fruitless.

Prediction results: (Thanks to all who made their predictions for this card)

The Blonde Bomber - 7/8

Lord Byron - 6/8

All-time prediction results:

Herrbear - 78/107

Lord Byron - 43/61

The Blonde Bomber - 33/40

Hitman74 - 10/12

Theheel - 7/10

Dalton - 6/6

auto45 - 5/6

Sco_xY2Jx - 2/6

Edited by Old School Fan
  • Like 1

spacer.png

July 22, 1968 - Montreal, Quebec

spacer.png

NOTE: While other matches are understood to have taken place on this card, only the three matches below are known to have been documented.

In a rematch from their first tag team encounter on June 10, Françoise Hardy & Margot Bouchard again defeated Renée Martel & France Gall when Hardy got the pin on Martel with a fisherman suplex - which only happened after Bouchard tripped Renée from outside the ring as she was coming off the ropes.  Post-match, Renée started arguing with Bouchard when Hardy blindsided Renée with a forearm smash, leading to her getting double-teamed by Hardy and Bouchard; Gall tried to get involved on Renée's behalf as she jumped on Hardy's back, but Bouchard pulled Gall off by her hair and threw her out of the ring before she and Hardy resumed their double-team on Renée, punctuating their attack by taking Renée down with a double suplex, then the heel tandem celebrated and gloated about their win before leaving their downed foes to return to the locker room area amid a hail of boos and jeers.

ASW Canadian Heavyweight Championship

Marcel Martel (C) defeated Buster Lloyd by disqualification when Lloyd threw Martel over the top rope.

Two out of Three Falls

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngVersus 2.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
Édouard Carpentier, Johnny Rougeau & Don McClarty defeated Hans Schmidt, Waldo Von Erich & Mad Dog Vachon, two falls to one.

• First fall - Vachon pinned McClarty following a piledriver.
  • Second fall - Vachon was disqualified for delivering a low blow to Rougeau.
  • Third fall - Carpentier pinned Von Erich following a flying dropkick.