The updated tournament bracket for Night Three of Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament II on January 30:

It's prediction time once again: :D

Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament - Quarterfinals

West Division bracket:

Jan Vallow vs. Claire Lepage

Diane Syverson vs. Renée Martel

East Division bracket:

Margot Bouchard vs. Sally Vega

Earlene Brown vs. Mary Jane Mull

Non-tournament matches:

Judy Sowinski vs. Barbara Walker

Penny Banner vs. Tonette Kadrmas*

AGWA Television Championship

Judy Arnold © vs. Georgia Hase

* Roller derby skater IRL.

West Division bracket:

East Division bracket:

The tournament feels so difficult to predict for now. I feel like Earlene is the bet to go with but could also see the finals being Renee v Margot. Also something made me feel like we’ll see Lepage v Martel in friendly partner competition. Excited to see how this plays out!!

Non-tournament matches:

Gotta go with the legend!!

Is Mae Young retired fully or will we see her ever get back in the ring?

Also pumped to see what Moolah does, I feel like I may know who her contact is. Wonder if I’ll be right.

• Like 1

West Division bracket:

East Division bracket:

Non-tournament matches:

• Like 1

Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament II - Night Three @ Anaheim Convention Center Arena

January 30, 1968 - Anaheim, California

Attendance - 7,172

NOTE: Highlights from most of these matches were taped to air on the syndicated AGWA Women's Pro Wrestling on the weekend of February 3.

Judy SowinskiBarbara Walker

Judy Sowinski defeated Barbara Walker by pinfall following a full-Nelson slam.

Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament, West Division - Quarterfinals

Jan VallowClaire Lepage

Jan Vallow defeated Claire Lepage by pinfall following a belly-to-belly suplex.

Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament, West Division - Quarterfinals

Renée MartelDiane SyversonMae Young

Renée Martel upset Diane Syverson (with Mae Young) by pinfall with a small package. Post-match, an unexpected incident occurred when, as she got her hand raised in victory by the referee, Martel fell victim to an ambush as a mysterious figure, wearing a black mask and dressed in a full black bodysuit, ran into the ring from out of the crowd and attacked her from behind, attempting to lay a pounding on Martel as the mysterious figure laced into her with several clubbing forearm blows to her upper back while grabbing a handful of her hair, but Renée tapped into her amateur wrestling and shoot training as she grabbed the masked figure by the waist and flipped her over her head, then pounced on her and rained down several blows of her own as the crowd went wild before she flipped her assailant onto her back, then grabbed at the assailant's mask and attempted to pull it off, but the masked woman reacted quickly as she pulled away from Renée, scrambled out of the ring and then took off like a bullet up the aisle toward the locker room area, with a furious Renée in hot pursuit of her masked attacker.*

Penny BannerTonette Kadrmas

Penny Banner edged past hotshot rookie Tonette Kadrmas to get the win when Banner pinned Kadrmas with a sunset flip after a hard-fought battle.

Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament, East Division - Quarterfinals

Margot BouchardMae YoungSally Vega

Margot Bouchard (with Mae Young) defeated Sally Vega by pinfall following a spinebuster slam.

Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament, East Division - Quarterfinals

Earlene BrownMary Jane Mull

Earlene Brown defeated Mary Jane Mull by pinfall with a big splash.

Judy ArnoldAGWA Television ChampionshipGeorgia HaseMae Young

Judy Arnold © defeated Georgia Hase (with Mae Young) by disqualification when Margot Bouchard ran in and blindsided Arnold as she had a stepover toehold applied on Hase. Post-match, Hase and Bouchard continued double-teaming Arnold under the direction of Young, but the heels were soon chased out when Renée Martel and Earlene Brown ran in for the save.

Prediction results: (Thanks to all who made their predictions for this card)

The Blonde Bomber - 5/7

Herrbear - 5/7

Lord Byron - 5/7

All-time prediction results:

Herrbear - 66/94

Lord Byron - 26/40

The Blonde Bomber - 16/19

Hitman74 - 10/12

Theheel - 7/10

Dalton - 6/6

auto45 - 5/6

Sco_xY2Jx - 2/6

* What happened immediately following that match behind the scenes will get explained in detail in an upcoming chapter.

The backstage area of the Anaheim Convention Center Arena was fairly busy with activity on the third night of the Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament, with veteran Penny Banner and up-and-coming rookie Tonette Kadrmas warming up in the staging area for their upcoming non-tournament match, which was to follow Renée Martel's tournament quarterfinal bout against Diane Syverson, while nearby, Michèle Richard and Sally Vega were going over their own tournament match when suddenly, while Penny and Tonette were getting ready, a black-clad masked figure suddenly burst through the curtain separating the staging area from the aisle leading to the ring and quickly ran right past them and the other wrestlers, followed a couple of seconds later by Renée, who was yelling "Stop her! Stop her! Get that masked woman!" As Renée ran past, Penny, Tonette, Michèle and Sally soon joined in the chase as they pursued the masked woman through the backstage halls toward the loading dock on the arena's west side.

At the loading area, several arena workers heard the commotion coming in their direction, then saw the masked woman coming and, hearing Renée's shouts to get her, attempted to apprehend the masked woman but were unsuccessful, as she managed to elude them and made it outside, where she jumped down from the dock and sprinted toward a waiting car that had its passenger side door open and its engine running, as though expecting to make a quick getaway. Renée, the other girls and the arena staff made it outside to the dock in time to see the masked woman yell "Okay, floor it!" to someone else behind the wheel, the apparent getaway driver, as she jumped into the car and slammed the door just as the driver gunned the car's motor and sped off into the night. The car had taken off so quickly that no one present had been able to get its license plate number fast enough.

"Did anyone get that car's number?" Penny asked, which no one could answer affirmatively.

"I tried, but it looked like the rear plate's number was covered over with black tape or something," Tonette said.

"Renée, what was that about?" Michèle then asked her friend as she went to check on her, right as Diane and Mae Young also came along moments later. "Whoever that was, she ran by so fast."

"That's what I'd like to know," Renée said as she and the others turned around and went back through the loading area to the locker rooms. "I was getting my hand raised after my match with Diane when I suddenly got jumped from behind and hit hard with a forearm shot. I couldn't see who it was attacking me right away because she'd grabbed me by my hair, pulled me over and started clubbing me across my upper back with more stiff forearm shots. Whoever it was attacking me, she was intending to hurt me on purpose, so I had to act fast to stop her."

"Mae and I saw it as it happened," Diane then joined in. "I'd just stepped through the ropes and I was standing on the edge of the ring when I saw that masked woman dressed all in black run in out of nowhere and attack Renée from behind and assault her like she described. Renée took action after a few seconds, lunged forward and grabbed the masked woman and threw her over her shoulders, then she went on the attack on her. I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be part of the match action or not, but if it was, no one told us."

"I belted that masked woman a few times while she was down on the mat, then I tried to grab her mask and pull it off to see who she was, but she pulled away quick and bailed out back up the aisle to the lockers, and that's when I chased after her," Renée added, realizing that she had become the victim of an attempted shoot attack by the unknown assailant. "Thanks to her and her attack, now my upper back feels sore and stiff," she added as she winced in pain from the blows she took.

"Hang tight, I'll get some ice from the ice machine," Michèle said as she hustled off to the ice machine down the hallway.

Moments later, Mildred Burke came along, accompanied by Barbara LaMarche and Claire Lepage, when they saw Renée sitting on a chair in the hallway waiting for Michèle to get the ice while the other wrestlers were checking on her. 'Wait a sec, what's going on here?" a curious Mildred asked. As Barbara and Claire also went to check on their friend, Renée explained what had happened to her following her match, which Diane and Mae confirmed.

"How could something like this happen?" a displeased Mildred exclaimed. "I'm gonna have to have a few words with arena security about this after the show." Turning to Renée, she then asked, "You okay, Renée?"

"I'm a little stiff and sore in my upper back right now, but I'll be alright once I get some ice for it," Renée replied, right as Michèle returned with the crushed ice inside a clear plastic bag and placed it on Renée's upper back to alleviate the pain and loosen the stiff muscles.

"We tried to catch that masked woman, but she outran us and made it to a waiting car at the loading dock to make her getaway," Sally then added. "Tonette also said she noticed the rear license plate had its ID number covered up with black tape. Whoever was behind the attack on Renée intended to keep from being identified and caught."

Mildred shook her head in disbelief at what she heard. "At least Renée wasn't hurt seriously and she did fight back against her attacker before the attacker took off," she said, "but it's making me think, like Sally said, that someone was behind the attack and planned it to try to take her out of the tournament. I know no one here in the company would pull something like that because we all have each other's backs, so I'm thinking that it could be an outside job."

A thought then crossed Penny's mind. "Hold on, you don't suppose..." she said, her suspicions being raised.

"I can't prove it for sure, but it's a possibility with Renée being the one to get targeted," a concerned Mildred said as she also got a nagging suspicion.

Meanwhile at her home on her Columbia, South Carolina estate, Fabulous Moolah was up late as she was expecting a phone call, so she passed the time while waiting by watching The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. She was watching Carson's opening monologue and laughing along when the phone beside her recliner began ringing. Taking her TV set's remote control, she turned down the sound on the TV as she let the phone ring twice before picking up its handset to answer, "Hello?"

"Hey Moolah, it's ______," a female voice replied, which Moolah recognized as her Los Angeles contact.

"Ah, good to hear from y'all again, ______," Moolah said. "Did you do what I requested last time we spoke?"

"I did," the contact said. "I went into the arena with a paid ticket while I made sure not to draw any attention to myself and I also had my getaway plan in place in advance."

"Good, so far," Moolah said. "When did you execute the plan?"

"Right after Martel's match ended, third match on the card," the contact said. "When the fans started cheering, I slipped my mask on while no one was watching, ditched my overcoat and ran into the ring and jumped Martel. Managed to lay a few good hits on her."

"Good, good," Moolah said. "Did you get out of there after that?"

"Not right away," the contact said. "Martel grabbed me and flipped me over, then she walloped me a few times before she grabbed for my mask. I didn't want to risk her exposing me, so I got the hell out of Dodge and bolted up the aisle and through the locker room area to the loading dock where the getaway car was. I'm glad it was there when I needed it because I came close to getting caught by Martel and some of the other wrestlers and some arena staff when they chased after me. I also had the license number on the back plate covered so they couldn't ID the car."

"Well, as long as you got away and you covered your tracks, that's what counts," Moolah said. "And you know, ______, I trained you pretty well when you joined my camp. Acting as my local contact to keep an eye on Mildred Burke and her girls - and especially on that Renée Martel - to keep an eye on what they're doin' and allow me to plan accordingly sure is payin' dividends. The attack on Martel should be enough to rattle her a bit and give Burke and her girls pause."

"Sure, but even if they can't directly prove it, they're gonna suspect that you had something to do with the attack," the contact said. "What do you plan to do in the meantime?"

"Just what I've already been plannin', darlin'," Moolah said confidently with a smirk, "and that plan gets executed the same night as the last night of Burke's tournament - and it'll be happenin' closer than they expect."

The updated tournament bracket for the final night of Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament II:

It's prediction time once again: :D

Handicap match

Baby Rocco* vs. Kathy Starr & Lita Marez

Barbara Walker & Claire Lepage vs. Jane Sherill & Patty O'Hara

Sally Vega vs. Tonette Kadrmas

Judy Arnold © vs. Diane Syverson

NWA North American Women's Championship

Joan Weston © vs. Shirley Hardman

Plus - who will win the Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament?

Jan Vallow • Renée Martel • Margot Bouchard • Earlene Brown

(The winner to receive the Mildred Burke Invitational Trophy and a title shot against AGWA United States Champion Ann Calvello)

* IRL, Baby Rocco (real name Yolanda Roacho) was a roller derby skater, active between at least 1967 and the 1980s; she died on June 20, 2003; due to her size (200+ pounds), she was at times positioned as a heel rival to Earlene Brown, another large-sized female derby skater. ITTL, Rocco became a professional wrestler and is part of Mildred Burke's AGWA roster.

Handicap match

(The winner to receive the Mildred Burke Invitational Trophy and a title shot against AGWA United States Champion Ann Calvello)

It should be Martel, but I think she will be still hurting just enough from the assault.

• Like 1

Handicap match

I assume she’ll be the foil to Earlene that stops her from dominating everyone in the territory.

Syverson makes up for her loss in the tournament. Maybe some help from Mae Young gets her the win.

Mae Young’s girls need a plucky challenger to go against them. Renee has been built up for so long it is her time now. She’ll get Calvello one on one, I just hope no one is allowed to interfere and ruin the match.

• Like 1

February 1968

Before the results of the final night of Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament II get posted...

Thinking she had gotten the psychological edge over Renée Martel with the attack against her by the masked assailant sent by her at the third night of Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament II, Fabulous Moolah set the final part of her new scheme to upstage Mildred and her tournament with a second edition of her rival one-night tournament - this time on the same night as Mildred's tournament and this time in San Diego (right within the borders of the shared territory of the AGWA and Worldwide Wrestling Associates), to which she had invited the local media, along with a sports reporter from the Los Angeles Times and reporters from the major wrestling magazines, to once again give her event glowing coverage at the expense of Mildred's tournament:

Women's Classic Tournament @ San Diego International Sports Center*

February 6, 1968 - San Diego, California

Attendance - 13,250

Quarterfinals

Ann CaseyDonna Christanello

Ann Casey defeated Donna Christanello by pinfall following a dropkick.

Quarterfinals

Ella WaldekOlga Martinez

Ella Waldek defeated Olga Martinez by pinfall following a kneedrop.

Quarterfinals

Toni RoseSweet Georgia Brown

Toni Rose defeated Sweet Georgia Brown by pinfall following a double-foot stomp to the chest.

Quarterfinals

Joyce GrableThe Spider

Joyce Grable defeated The Spider** by pinfall with a bridge pin.

Semifinals

Ann CaseyElla Waldek

Ann Casey defeated Ella Waldek by pinfall following a headscissor takedown.

Semifinals

Toni RoseJoyce Grable

Toni Rose beat Joyce Grable by pinfall when Rose grabbed a handful of tights for illegal leverage as she pinned Grable with a schoolgirl rollup.

Final

Ann CaseyToni Rose

In a rematch from last year's semifinals, Ann Casey defeated Toni Rose to win the tournament when Casey pinned Rose following an airplane spin. By virtue of her tournament win, Casey won the keys to a 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass four-door sedan and earned a title shot against Moolah, the NWA World Women's Champion, which was to take place immediately after the intermission.

NWA World Women's Championship

The Fabulous MoolahNWA World Women's ChampionshipAnn Casey

The Fabulous Moolah © defeated Ann Casey by forfeit when Casey did not show for the match. After being awarded the match, Moolah took the house mic and verbally ran down Casey for not appearing when she had an opportunity for championship gold, then after engaging in a lot of self-praise, Moolah celebrated and drank in the adulation as the fans in attendance booed her for making the event all about herself.***

* The San Diego International Sports Center, which originally opened in November 1966 and was later renamed in 1970 to its best-known name of the San Diego Sports Arena, has been known as the Pechanga Arena since December 2018.

** While Moolah originally made use of the masked Spider gimmick IRL in the WWF in 1985 (first by putting the mask and name on wrestler Penny Mitchell, then adopting the identity herself as part of the Original Screwjob plot against Wendi Richter), ITTL, she first put the Spider gimmick on an unknown wrestler as part of this tournament.

*** What happened behind the scenes that led up to the outcome of this match will be explained in an upcoming chapter.

Mae Young’s girls need a plucky challenger to go against them. Renee has been built up for so long it is her time now.

Exactly the plan I have for Renée. :)

What’s going down with Ann Casey??? Also surprised Toni Rose didn’t take Casey’s spot. Moolah knows how to give a good main event. Her opponent disappears so Moolah just talks about her being the best as the night closes lol. 13,000 people ask for refunds after.

Wait'll you see what comes up next... :D

Backstage at the San Diego International Sports Center following the final of the Women's Classic Tournament, Fabulous Moolah was getting ready for the main event, her NWA World Women's title defence against tournament winner Ann Casey, when Ann came through the curtains into the staging area, carrying the keys for the Oldsmobile Cutlass she had won. "What's this, Moolah?" a displeased Ann snapped as she stopped in front of Moolah and held up the keys. "Is this your idea of a joke?"

"Well, darlin', I'da figured you'd be pleased about gettin' a car as part of your prize for winnin' the tournament," Moolah replied as she adjusted her championship belt.

"That ain't the point," Ann said. "You've been makin' promises for the last couple of years that at some point, I'd get a run with your title. You kept makin' those promises to keep me on your payroll, but you never followed through on them, just like you kept promisin' the moon on paydays but never followed through."

"What? You get paid decently enough," Moolah said.

"Only after you collect the pay from the promoters first and cut yourself in on a piece of the action," Ann then stated.

"Ever hear of booker's fees?" Moolah retorted, leading Ann to curse incredulously.

"I ain't buyin' it, Moolah," Ann replied. "And now you want to ensure my loyalty by bribin' me with a new car while promisin' me the moon again with a title run that I know ain't comin'?"

"And what about the thrill of the chase?" Moolah said. "Ann, you gotta realize that the fans love the thrill of the chase when a challenger pursues the championship - that's what makes it all the better when the challenger eventually wins the title."

"And that's just another excuse for not deliverin' on your promises when you keep puttin' off the eventual climax of that chase," Ann said.

"You're not the only one who's had that problem," a voice spoke from behind Ann, who turned around and saw Joyce Grable, who had just finished getting dressed after coming from the locker room showers, walk up to where she and Moolah were standing. "You promised I'd get a title run, either with your title or with some regional belt, but you have yet to come through," Joyce then said to Moolah.

"So what are you so worried about?" Moolah said. "Your time'll come to have a title run soon enough."

"Like when, when I'm ready to collect Social Security?" Joyce quipped. "Oh, and another thing - what's this I heard about you 'teaching' Renée Martel a lesson last week?"

"What you're talking about?" Moolah said, starting to look slightly worried.

"I overheard you from out in the hallway when you were in your personal dressing room earlier," Joyce pointed out. "You were talking with someone about something that happened involving Renée last week in Los Angeles. I heard you mention sending someone to infiltrate an event in L.A. where Renée was wrestling and to have that someone attack her."

"You must've been hearin' things," Moolah said, attempting to deny Joyce's accusation. "I said no such thing while I was in my dressing room."

"Your door was open slightly and I could hear you say Renée's name clearly and what you had done to her," Joyce pointed out. "I don't even understand why you'd go and target Renée like you're doing."

"And how exactly does this concern y'all anyway?" Moolah demanded to know.

"Because I happen to like Renée and consider her a friend," Joyce stated. "I teamed with her back when me and Cora Combs toured up in Canada back in 1965, that's how I got to know her."

"And I think I know why Moolah's doing what you said she's doing," Ann said to Joyce about Renée. "She sees your friend as a threat, same as with any girl in the business who's better skilled, better looking and more popular than she is and who she doesn't or can't control. I've also heard something about the event she's in - it's a tournament being presented by Mildred Burke up in L.A."

A stunned Joyce then looked back to Moolah. "So that's why you're really putting on this tournament?" Joyce said in disbelief. "You're doing this to sabotage a rival event in its own backyard so you can keep the spotlight on yourself and distract from a rival? It was never really about your wrestlers, was it - it was all about you and what you could do to screw over your competition!"

"You're both crazy," Moolah said, still in denial mode but now becoming more worried about the truth coming to light. "Why would I do something like that?"

Ann simply gave Moolah a wooden look. "I think we've learned all we need to know," she said while glancing at Joyce for a moment before looking back to Moolah. "Here, you can have your Oldsmobile back - we're done," she then added as she took the Oldsmobile keys and dropped them on the arena floor at Moolah's feet, then she and Joyce turned around and walked away, headed back for their lockers to get their gear and then leave the arena.

"ANN! JOYCE! Get back here! I ain't done talkin' to y'all yet!" Moolah yelled as she started to pursue her two stars - only to stop in her tracks the moment she heard the ring announcer start the introductions for the main event. Realizing the show had to go on one way or the other, Moolah was left with no choice but to make her way out to the ring amid the boos and catcalls of the hostile anti-Moolah crowd, deciding on the fly what she would do to salvage the main event as soon as she stepped through the ropes.

As Moolah was doing her thing back at the arena, Ann and Joyce were already on their way in Ann's car to the motel where the wrestlers were staying, having decided not to stick around for the remainder of the card as Ann was sure she and Joyce would most likely not get paid their night's purse by Moolah for their act of rebellion. "So, what do we do now?" Joyce asked.

"Well, first thing we're gonna do is check out of our rooms and cut out," Ann replied. "We're sure not gonna stick around to get hassled by Moolah, Toni and/or Donna over what we did and said. Way I see it, it's a safe bet that the two of us are done with Moolah - now the question is, where do we go from here?"

An idea quickly dawned on Joyce. "We could head up to L.A. and get in touch with Mildred Burke," she suggested. "I know she was the one who trained Renée, so it sure can't hurt to give it a shot."

After thinking about it a moment, Ann shrugged her shoulders. "Sure, why not?" she said with a smirk. "After we check out at the motel, we'll go gas up at a service station and head on up." Joyce smiled, pleased that she would get to meet Renée's mentor and hopefully, if she was still in town, get to see Renée for the first time in nearly three years.

Edited by Old School Fan
Updated link

Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament II - Night Four @ Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena

February 6, 1968 - Los Angeles, California

Attendance - 16,340

NOTE: Highlights from the tournament matches and the championship matches were taped to air on AGWA Women's Pro Wrestling on the weekend of February 10.

Handicap match

Baby RoccoKathy StarrLita Marez

Baby Rocco dominated the majority of her match with Kathy Starr and Lita Marez as she put her size and strength advantage to use to squash her opponents before she big splashed Marez for the pinfall win.

Barbara WalkerClaire LepageJane SherillPatty O'Hara

Barbara Walker & Claire Lepage defeated Jane Sherill & Patty O'Hara when Walker and Lepage double-dropkicked O'Hara to allow Walker to get the pin on O'Hara while Lepage prevented Sherill from interfering.

Sally VegaTonette Kadrmas

Sally Vega defeated Tonette Kadrmas by pinfall by reversing a rollup pin attempt by Kadrmas and pinning her shoulders to the mat. Post-match, Kadrmas, not happy about the outcome, clotheslined Vega from behind as she got her arm raised in victory and stomped on her a few times before the referee intervened and pulled her away, then Kadrmas ran to one of the turnbuckles, jumped onto the second and raised her arms as she taunted the booing fans.

Judy ArnoldAGWA Television ChampionshipDiane SyversonMae Young

Judy Arnold © defeated Diane Syverson (with Mae Young) when Arnold caught Syverson with a cross-bodyblock for the pin, but controversy erupted post-match when Syverson and Young both claimed that Syverson's left foot was on the bottom rope as Arnold had her pinned. After a review of the match ending via instant replay a few minutes later, the referee ruled that a rematch for the title would be held next week.

Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament, West Division - Semifinals

Renée MartelJan Vallow

Renée Martel overcame the size advantage of Jan Vallow and defeated her by submission with the Alligator Clutch.

Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament, East Division - Semifinals

Margot BouchardMae YoungEarlene Brown

Margot Bouchard (with Mae Young) defeated Earlene Brown in what would seem, on paper, to be an upset as Bouchard was outweighed by 100 pounds by the 250-pound Brown, the ex-Olympian, who dominated a good part of the match (although Bouchard, with help from some distractions of the referee by Young, would get a few licks in against Brown during the match); after making a comeback and delivering a few forearm shots against Bouchard, Brown Irish whipped her opponent to the ropes, only for Bouchard to go over the top rope and to the floor, which the ref caught and called for the bell to disqualify Brown. Post-match, Dick Lane, the play-by-play announcer for AGWA Women's Pro Wrestling (as well as pulling double duty calling the action for Worldwide Wrestling Associates' Wrestling at the Olympic) interviewed Bouchard and Young at ringside as Lane accused Bouchard of throwing herself over the top rope on purpose to try to get Brown disqualified, which Bouchard vehemently denied while telling Renée Martel that she would now be coming for her in the tournament final.

Joan WestonNWA North American Women's ChampionshipShirley HardmanMae Young

Joan Weston © had her hands full against the determined challenge of Shirley Hardman (with Mae Young), but overcame the seeming two-on-one disadvantage as Weston used the shoulderbreaker on Hardman to get the three-count and retain her title.

Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament - Final

Renée MartelMargot BouchardMae Young

In the final of the tournament, Renée Martel went up against Margot Bouchard (with Mae Young) in the long-awaited battle between the two archrivals. Martel, the runner-up in last year's inaugural tournament who had been the victim of a surprise attack by a masked assailant following her quarterfinal match last week, had the fans solidly behind her, but she knew there would be no time for her to soak up those cheers as she had to focus on Bouchard's challenge while also needing to keep one eye on Young. Bouchard was hesitant to lock up with Martel and got the fans on her case when she tried stalling. When Bouchard finally did, Martel was able to tie her up in the ropes. Frustrated, Bouchard complained to the referee, as did Young when she got up on the ring apron. When they locked up again, Bouchard used her size and strength advantage to catch Martel in a tight headlock. Martel struggled to work her way free, and when she did, she taught Bouchard a wrestling lesson. Martel grabbed her arm and began applying pressure. Bouchard couldn't free herself from Martel's grip. The technically superior Martel then took Bouchard to the mat and applied a tight hammerlock on her left arm. Martel, the second-generation star, looked like she was in control of the match when she rolled up Bouchard in a pinning position on the mat, but Bouchard powered out before the referee could count three.

Bouchard was determined not to let her popular blonde opponent embarrass her, and she worked over Renée's left arm with arm wringers. She then caught Martel in a front headlock, and Martel dropped to one knee. Bouchard used her strength and superior leverage to wear Martel down. With Renée on the mat, Bouchard cranked her headlock on tighter. At times, Young distracted the referee by claiming Martel was trying to pull Bouchard's hair to force a break of the headlock, allowing Bouchard to take further advantage to weaken Martel by turning the headlock into a choke while the referee was distracted arguing with Young. With the capacity crowd in the Memorial Sports Arena yelling their support, Martel refused to quit. She worked her way back to her feet and backed Bouchard into the turnbuckle. When Bouchard broke the hold, Martel landed a series of chops to her chest.

Bouchard came back strong and landed some blows of her own, then caught Martel and positioned her for a piledriver, but the referee warned Bouchard that she would be disqualified if she executed the move. As Bouchard argued with the referee about the piledriver attempt, Martel turned the match in her favor when she surprised Bouchard with a big back bodydrop. Still, Bouchard turned the match around again by using strength and some well-timed rulebreaking, aided by Young distracting the referee, to further wear down Martel and dominate the contest. As Bouchard scooped up Martel for a bodyslam attempt, Earlene Brown, whom Bouchard had cheated her way past to get to the final, showed up at ringside and started arguing with her semifinal opponent. Taking advantage of the distraction, Renée rolled up Bouchard with a small package and put her shoulders to the mat for the count of three, getting the fans on their feet as they cheered loudly and excitedly with Martel's victory.

Following the match, Bouchard, angry over the distraction by Brown costing her the match, rolled out to ringside and resumed her argument with Brown before the two women started brawling their way back to the locker room area while several referees and arena security tried to break them up. Moments after Martel got her arm raised in victory as the fans cheered, Mildred Burke got into the ring to present Martel with the Mildred Burke Invitational Trophy and a big bouquet of flowers for her tournament win, then Claire Lepage, Barbara Walker, Sally Vega, Joan Weston and last year's tournament winner Judy Arnold came in to join the celebration. After being handed the house mic by the ring announcer following his announcement that she would face Ann Calvello for her United States title next week, Renée thanked the fans for their support throughout the tournament, then particularly thanked the one who made it possible for all the girls currently on the AGWA roster, and for all women wrestlers in general, to be able to compete in the ring at a high level and on par with the men - Mildred Burke herself, drawing a standing ovation from the fans that lasted several minutes.

Prediction results: (Thanks to all who made their predictions for this card)

Lord Byron - 6/6

Herrbear - 5/6

The Blonde Bomber - 3/6

All-time prediction results:

Herrbear - 71/100

Lord Byron - 32/46

The Blonde Bomber - 19/25

Hitman74 - 10/12

Theheel - 7/10

Dalton - 6/6

auto45 - 5/6

Sco_xY2Jx - 2/6

I like this more descriptive show layout. Getting a closer look at the ladies and how they act in matches.

I thought Sherrill and O’Hara being a consistent team would give them the win here but the experience and skill of LePage and Roberts was too much for them to handle. Is it just me or does Sherril look like a female buddy rose?

Baby starts her domination tonight. She’ll be a built while Earlene is handling Bouchard. I could see Bouchard calling on Rocco for help dealing with Earlene in the future. Maybe after Earlene overcomes the post match assaults typical of Mae Young’s Camp.

Good ending to the Syverson Arnold contest. I was expecting Syverson to win with help from Young, but keeping this going is a smart idea. I do still think Syverson is picking up the title. She’s consistently on the top of card and would add some prestige to her group.

Bouchard getting the win over Brown by going over the top rope was a good way to keep Brown strong while also having Bouchard cheat by making herself go over the top rope. Brown still hasn’t been beaten but didn’t move on and now has a gripe with Bouchard. One thing I would’ve liked to see is Brown takeover the interview being pissed off thinking Bouchard cheated to get the win. The post match interview was also a good change of pace to add some layers to the show.

Renee Martel has done it!! She won the tournament and is headed for Calvello now. Personally I am not a fan of the rival distraction finish just cause it’s been so over done for years. But with that said I get what you were going for with both Brown and Bouchard having a problem with each other now to get Brown moved up the card.

• Like 1

On the day after the final night of the Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament, Mildred was back at her wrestling school's office sorting through her mail when she got a knock on her office door. "Come on in," she called to whoever was knocking.

"Hi, Mildred, you wanted to see us?" Renée Martel said as she and Claire Lepage stepped through the front door into the office.

"I did, and I'm actually glad you came by when you did," Mildred said. "There's a couple of people here who came to the office to see me for a couple of reasons, and one of them has to do with you, Renée. One of them said she knows you from teaming with you up in Canada three years ago when you were starting out, and the other said she wanted to meet you after hearing about you from the first. They're both over in the gym working out a little right now, so I'll bring you to meet them."

"One of them knows me?" Renée said as a thought occurred to her as she, Claire and Mildred cut through the front office and into the training gym. "If it's who I think it is..."

When the ladies arrived in the gym where some of Mildred's wrestlers were sparring to keep in practice, Mildred called on someone who was observing the sparring sessions from outside the ring. When the woman turned around, Renée gasped with surprise as she recognized her right away. "Joyce?" Renée said upon seeing Joyce Grable near the ring.

"Renée!" Joyce said, pleased to see Renée as she walked over and gave her a hug. "Long time, no see - and it looks like you've changed a little since I saw you last," she added, taking note of Renée's hair.

"Yeah, changing my hair color and style was at a friend's suggestion for my protection after what happened to me in Truro three years ago, but I've come to like it," Renée said with a grin, "and the hair salon I frequent back home in Montreal likes my business."

After having a laugh over Renée's comment, Joyce asked, "So how've you been doing in the ring since we last teamed up? I also heard you were taking part in a tournament recently."

"I did," Renée said. "That was the Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament. It's all part of the slow buildup I've worked my way through since I started. But how about you, now - how've you been doing and what brought you up this way?"

"Ah, just going along my merry ol' way working under Fabulous Moolah - at least until last night," Joyce explained. "That connects to why I'm here too. A friend of mine and I both quit Moolah last night and came up here because I remembered Mildred training you and we wanted to talk with her - plus, I wanted to see you and was hoping you'd still be in town."

"They told me about why they came up and I showed them this morning's copy of the Los Angeles Times," Mildred said. "I found out about that tournament Moolah put on down in San Diego just before Joyce and her friend came, then they told me about the reasons Moolah held the tournament - and Joyce even told me she found out that Moolah was the one who orchestrated that attack on you by that masked woman last week, Renée. They both objected to Moolah's reasoning and they walked out on her near the end of the event."

Renée was in disbelief over what she had just heard. "So it was Moolah who set up that attack on me?" she said, sounding clearly displeased.

"And she knew what she was doin' when she staged that attack," a voice said, coming from Renée's right. "Hi, I'm Ann Casey," the newcomer greeted Renée as the latter turned to see who was talking. "Joyce has told me quite a bit about you - Renée Martel, right?"

"Oh, hi," a surprised Renée said with a slight giggle as she shook hands with Ann. "Yep, that's me."

"I figured out why Moolah had you attacked and why she staged her tournament, both this year and last year, in direct competition with Mildred's events," Ann said to Renée, "and they both had to do with you. Moolah sees you as competition and she reacted the way she does with any girl wrestler she sees as competition to her - she becomes jealous and paranoid and she sees the competiton as a threat to her spot at the top of women's wrestling, so she resorts to whatever measures she needs to to draw attention away from her rivals and back to herself."

"Oh, c’est incroyable!" a stunned Claire, who had been listening to Ann's story while standing with Renée, said in French in reaction.

"Huh?" Ann, who did not speak French, then asked.

"Oh, I was saying it's unbelievable, what Moolah did," Claire said with an embarrassed laugh. "Hi, I'm Claire Lepage - I'm a friend of Renée's," she then introduced herself.

"Hi, Claire, nice to meet you," Ann said as she and Claire shook hands.

"You and Claire both have a point regarding Moolah, though," Mildred then said. "On top of what she tried to have done to Renée last week, now I know that Moolah deliberately set up her tournament in my backyard to try to undermine my tournament and create confusion with the fans. I've already had a few phone calls from San Diego this morning complaining about what happened down there last night, and the callers thought I had something to do with promoting that event until I had to set them straight."

"Yeah, I might've had something to do with those complaints," Ann pointed out. "I was booked to win the tournament and face Moolah in the main event afterward, but after I had it out with Moolah backstage over the things she was doing and Joyce confronted her about Renée, that's when we walked out on Moolah before the main event. I don't know what she did afterward because Joyce and I didn't stick around to find out - we left the arena to go back to our motel, then we checked out and left before Moolah and the other girls returned and that's when we came up to L.A."

Renée shook her head and sighed over all she had heard, wondering what she had done that would put a target on her back where Fabulous Moolah was concerned. "So what do we do now?" she asked.

"Well, since I share the Los Angeles territory with the LeBells," Mildred stated, speaking of the owners of Worldwide Wrestling Associates, "and since San Diego is part of that territory, I have to call them and let them know what happened, assuming they haven't already seen this morning's paper. Then, I have to give Sam* a call and see what he says..."**

* Sam Muchnick, the President of the NWA from 1950 to 1960 and again from 1963 to 1975.

** Even though she is the NWA World Women's Champion at this point, by staging her women's tournament within the AGWA and WWA's shared territory on the same night as the final night of the Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament, Fabulous Moolah, for all intents and purposes, had put on an "outlaw show" in direct competition with the AGWA, which - unknown to Moolah - had obtained NWA membership ITTL shortly after its formation, finally allowing Mildred Burke to get the NWA membership she had sought but originally been denied in the 1950s thanks to the manipulations of Billy Wolfe. How Moolah's incursion into enemy territory gets handled will be covered in an upcoming chapter.

Edited by Old School Fan
Updated link

American Girls' Wrestling Association @ Tucson Garden*

February 10, 1968 - Tucson, Arizona

Baby RoccoSally Vega

Baby Rocco squashed Sally Vega when Rocco pinned Vega following a big splash.

Ann CaseyJoyce FowlerGeorgia HaseMargot BouchardMae Young

Ann Casey & Joyce Fowler (formerly Joyce Grable) made their AGWA debuts as they battled Georgia Hase & Margot Bouchard (with Mae Young) to a no-contest when both teams were disqualified for all four women brawling in the ring at once.

Renée MartelLucille Dupree

In preparation for her upcoming title match against United States Champion Ann Calvello, Renée Martel defeated Lucille Dupree via submission to the Alligator Clutch.

AGWA United States Tag Team Championship - Two out of Three Falls

Shirley HardmanDiane SyversonMae YoungAGWA United States Tag Team ChampionshipBarbara WalkerClaire Lepage

Shirley Hardman & Diane Syverson © (with Mae Young) defeated Barbara Walker & Claire Lepage, two falls to one.

• First fall - Syverson pinned Walker following an airplane spin.
  • Second fall - Walker evened the match by pinning Syverson with a sunset flip.
  • Third fall - Hardman pinned Lepage following a double facebuster by Hardman and Syverson.

AGWA United States Championship

Ann CalvelloMae YoungAGWA United States ChampionshipEarlene Brown

Ann Calvello © (with Mae Young) defeated Earlene Brown by countout when, after Calvello and Brown brawled around ringside and Calvello got thrown back into the ring by Brown as the referee did his 20-count, Brown was unable to follow Calvello back in because Young grabbed Brown's right leg, out of sight of the referee, and kept her from getting back in in time to beat the count. Post-match, Brown decked Young with a right hand for her interference, leading to Georgia Hase and Margot Bouchard running to ringside to ambush Brown from behind and throw her into the ring where they and Calvello triple-teamed their larger foe under Young's direction until Brown began to fight back, then the heels cleared out as Renée Martel, Ann Casey and Joyce Fowler ran in for the save.

* The Tucson Garden was, along with the recently-closed Tucson Sports Center, one of the main sports venues in Tucson prior to the opening of the Tucson Community Center (now the Tucson Convention Center) and its main arena in 1971. No photo of the Tucson Garden could be found to post because, outside of info provided at the WrestlingData.com website, there appears to be very little data available online about that venue.

I like this more descriptive show layout. Getting a closer look at the ladies and how they act in matches.

Yeah, I figured I'd do that for important events, to go more in-depth (like with the ringside interviews I included in some of the TV cards I posted).

I thought Sherrill and O’Hara being a consistent team would give them the win here but the experience and skill of LePage and Roberts was too much for them to handle. Is it just me or does Sherril look like a female buddy rose?

It does seem to appear that way from the avatar, but here's a full view of what Sherill looks like in action along with O'Hara.

Baby starts her domination tonight. She’ll be a built while Earlene is handling Bouchard. I could see Bouchard calling on Rocco for help dealing with Earlene in the future. Maybe after Earlene overcomes the post match assaults typical of Mae Young’s Camp.

That's a possibility for future AGWA events I post in this diary.

Good ending to the Syverson Arnold contest. I was expecting Syverson to win with help from Young, but keeping this going is a smart idea. I do still think Syverson is picking up the title. She’s consistently on the top of card and would add some prestige to her group.

That she's been, and we'll see what happens with that in the upcoming AGWA TV taping. :)

Bouchard getting the win over Brown by going over the top rope was a good way to keep Brown strong while also having Bouchard cheat by making herself go over the top rope. Brown still hasn’t been beaten but didn’t move on and now has a gripe with Bouchard. One thing I would’ve liked to see is Brown takeover the interview being pissed off thinking Bouchard cheated to get the win. The post match interview was also a good change of pace to add some layers to the show.

I was inspired for that angle by

(AKA Nord the Barbarian/Yukon John/The Berzerker) in Winnipeg back in 1985. It looks like the kind of thing Margot/Michèle would've done ITTL to get a cheap win, draw heat and fuel a feud, so I rolled with it here.

Renee Martel has done it!! She won the tournament and is headed for Calvello now. Personally I am not a fan of the rival distraction finish just cause it’s been so over done for years. But with that said I get what you were going for with both Brown and Bouchard having a problem with each other now to get Brown moved up the card.

Well, as they say in the TV biz, stay tuned... :D

This is quite interesting! I'm not familiar with many of the names, but I will be following :D

Thanks, glad you're liking what you've seen so far and welcome aboard. :D

Meanwhile, a few hours earlier (in the Eastern Time zone) on the night of the AGWA Tucson house show...

At the Boston Garden during a WWWF card that night, Vince McMahon Sr. was on the phone in his office, in the middle of a conversation. "No, I didn't authorize her to hold the event where she held it, I only told her she was free to run the event herself, but that she was on her own," the WWWF head said to the other end of the line. "I told her that because several of my wrestlers had threatened to quit because of her last time she held such an event, because I had to pull most of them from a card here in Boston to make way for her tournament." Vince then listened to the other end for a moment. "Yes, I don't doubt they weren't very happy with what happened. I can only imagine the confusion holding two such rival events on the same night in the same territory could cause."

As Vince resumed listening to the other end, he then heard what sounded like a woman's scream, followed by cursing and shouting and the clattering of several objects out in the Garden's backstage hallway. "Uh, could you hold on a moment?" he said as he put his left hand to the handset's mouthpiece so he could listen to the commotion outside his office for a moment. "Okay, I'm back... Sorry, say that again?" he then said when he returned to the phone, sticking a finger in his left ear so he could hear the conversation over the noise outside. "Alright, I'll talk to her and deal with this - I'll make sure we don't get a repeat of what happened. Okay, 'bye, Sam."

Vince then walked out of his office into the hallway, where he saw Fabulous Moolah throwing another fit over something that was bothering her. "Hey, Lillian, simmer it down to a slow boil a minute," he told Moolah. "What's got you bothered now - as if I need to guess?"

"Here, look at these!" Moolah said in a huff as she handed Vince a pair of newspaper clippings, sent to her by her Los Angeles contact. The first clipping Vince read detailed Moolah's tournament in San Diego, including the attendance number and the controversy caused by Ann Casey's no-show for the main event against Moolah after Ann won the tournament.

"So, Ann Casey not appearing to wrestle you is what's bugging you?" Vince said. "Besides, you got a good turnout for the event, so I'd think you'd be happy about that."

"That's not the only thing," Moolah pointed out. "The writer said near the end that my speech after Ann no-showed was nothin' more than self-praisin', self-servin' tripe!"

"Well, Lillian, you really should have a thicker skin than that," Vince said. "You, of all people, should know that getting criticized comes with the territory of being a heel in wrestling."

"That don't bother me nearly as much as what the other article says!" a still-piqued Moolah then said. Vince then proceeded to read the other clipping, which detailed the final night of the Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament in Los Angeles - which he not only noticed drew over 3,000 more fans than Moolah's tournament, what particularly caught his attention was that Renée Martel had won the Mildred Burke tournament, earning her a championship match the next week.

When he got done reading, Vince lowered both clippings and shot Moolah a disappointed look. "Renée Martel, again?" he said. "Are you really letting her bother you that much?"

"What's really botherin' me about her is that everything she's accomplishin', she's gettin' done without my guidance!" Moolah snapped. "She even had the audacity to thank Mildred Burke for all the success she's had in the ring durin' her victory speech, when everyone knows damn well that it's ME who's makin' women's wrestling as popular as it is now! ME, not some has-been who's been retired for over a dozen years!"

"Aren't you forgetting that it's that same 'has-been' who trained you for the business, Lillian?" Vince retorted. "Besides that, it sounds more to me like you're not only jealous about Mildred's tournament being more successful, but you're also jealous that Renée won that tournament and that the spotlight's starting to shine on her now."

"Me, jealous? Phfftt!" Moolah scoffed, denying Vince's accusation. "Why would I be jealous just 'cause someone else got a dose of the spotlight?"

"I think I'll pass on answering that," said Vince, who knew Moolah and her self-centered personality all too well. "But now that brings up another issue, your event in San Diego. I just got off the phone with Sam Muchnick a few minutes ago and he's not very happy with you right now."

Moolah's mouth dropped open in stunned disbelief. "What's Muchnick got to complain about?" she said incredulously. "The Los Angeles territory ain't even part of the NWA and it ain't been since 1958!"

"Correction - Gene and Mike LeBell's promotion isn't part of the NWA, but Mildred's group is, and she co-operates with the LeBells," Vince said matter-of-factly. "You put your event on in their territory on the same night as Mildred's tournament to try to undermine her event, and you did so knowing full well what you were doing. Mildred complained to Muchnick that your San Diego event caused confusion down there with some fans who thought she organized that event and they complained to her about it when it ended like that news article described."

"And why should that matter?" Moolah countered. "I'm the World Women's Champion and I can decide..."

"Hold on, I'm not done yet," Vince interrupted. "Mildred also told Muchnick that she found out from one of your now-former wrestlers that she overheard during your tournament that you orchestrated an attack against Renée by a masked assailant at another event of Mildred's the week before, and it was hearing about that incident, among other reasons, that caused her and Ann to quit your employment. Care to explain?"

Moolah let out an exasperated sigh. "Why bother, you're not going to believe it anyway," she grumbled.

"Look, Lillian, we've been friends for over a dozen years now and I've been one of your biggest supporters," Vince said, "and that's why it bothers me that you're so bothered by the success of a wrestler that you don't employ or control - one that you tried to recruit for your camp but couldn't get because she just chose not to join you. Moreover, you're letting it influence and control your judgement to the point where you're risking crossing the NWA by holding a rival event against one of its members in its own territory, simply for spite against that one wrestler and against her trainer - who also happens to be your trainer."

"So, what now?" Moolah asked with a shake of her head, not expecting to like what news Vince was about to give her.

"What now is that Muchnick's decided to pull in the reins on you," Vince said. "Up until now, he and his predecessors in the NWA president's office have allowed you to have control of the NWA World Women's Championship, but for San Diego and your staging of that incident against Renée, the NWA is taking back control of the title and they expect you to start defending it against other wrestlers besides your own students. Muchnick also warned that any future such stunts done without the NWA's approval, like your San Diego event, will result in you being stripped of the title, which will then be put up in a tournament."

"WHAT?! They can't do that!" Moolah snapped.

"Take it up with the Board then," Vince stated simply, referring to the NWA Board of Directors. "And for future reference, next time you put on a tournament, set it up with me first - and don't go behind my back again. Play that card a second time and I'll switch to booking women wrestlers from Mildred Burke - at least then, I'll finally be able to book Renée Martel for my events without needing your approval." Checking his watch, Vince then said, "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go talk with Bruno about his match later tonight."

After Vince walked away to go meet with Bruno Sammartino down the hall, Moolah pondered what he had told her and the dressing down he gave her for her recent actions. So, Mrs. Burke and Miss Martel, that's how you want to play it? she thought to herself with a resentful scowl. So be it, then. But you two, your group and anyone that associates with you - even if it means the entire NWA and whoever else - is gonna pay the price for it.

AGWA TV taping @ Anaheim Convention Center Arena

February 13, 1968 - Anaheim, California

Attendance - 6,990

Aired the weekend of February 17, 1968 on AGWA Women's Pro Wrestling:

Dark match

Jan VallowSerena Harris

Jan Vallow defeated Serena Harris by pinfall following a bodyslam and legdrop.

Margot BouchardMae YoungSandra Hale

Margot Bouchard (with Mae Young) defeated Sandra Hale by pinfall following an elbow drop. Bouchard and Young then joined Dick Lane at ringside for a post-match interview, where Bouchard said that she came close to winning the Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament last week and would have beaten Renée Martel to win it if not for being distracted by Earlene Brown showing up at ringside, then she declared that Brown would pay for costing her the tournament, then went on to add that Martel would not get the United States title from Ann Calvello.

Earlene BrownKim Blanchard

Earlene Brown defeated Kim Blanchard by pinfall following a big splash. Post-match, Margot Bouchard showed up at ringside and got into a brief argument with Brown as the two rivals exchanged threats before Bouchard turned around and returned backstage, continuing to make threats against Brown as she went.

Barbara WalkerClaire LepageElise DorsettJanet Russ

Barbara Walker & Claire Lepage defeated Elise Dorsett* & Janet Russ when Lepage pinned Russ following a flying clothesline off the second turnbuckle.

Joyce FowlerLorna Dale

In her AGWA TV debut, Joyce Fowler got the crowd on her side as she took on Lorna Dale and defeated her by pinfall following a dropkick. During a post-match ringside interview with Dick Lane, Fowler acknowledged the crowd and said she was happy to now be a part of the AGWA, then threw her support behind Renée Martel in her match against Ann Calvello, saying she hoped to see her win the United States title from the veteran heel Calvello.

Diane SyversonMae YoungAGWA Television ChampionshipJudy Arnold

In a rematch from the final night of the Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament last week, Diane Syverson (with Mae Young) defeated Judy Arnold © to win the title when Syverson, taking advantage of a referee distraction by Young, pinned Arnold after slugging her and knocking her cold with a foreign object passed to her by Young earlier in the match. Post-match, Syverson was handed the title belt, then she and Young celebrated the ill-gotten victory while the fans booed. While interviewed at ringside by Dick Lane afterward, Young congratulated Syverson on her title win and declared that the Queen's Court (Young's heel stable) once again had complete control over the AGWA title picture, then Syverson took a moment to gloat about her win and verbally run down Arnold, saying that she now had to move to the back of the line of title contention. When Lane pointed out the questionable means Syverson used to win the title, Syverson and Young denied it and accused Lane of needing stronger glasses.

Aired the weekend of February 24, 1968 on AGWA Women's Pro Wrestling:

Dark match

Sally VegaAddie Trent

Sally Vega defeated Addie Trent* by pinfall following a flying dropkick off the second turnbuckle.

Tonette KadrmasMargo Vincent

Tonette Kadrmas defeated Margo Vincent by pinfall following a vertical suplex.

Georgia HaseMae YoungSamantha Sheridan

Georgia Hase (with Mae Young) defeated Samantha Sheridan* by pinfall following a knee lift. In a post-match ringside interview with Dick Lane, Hase congratulated her stablemate Diane Syverson on winning the TV title, then also declared that Renée Martel got lucky in winning the Mildred Burke Invitational Tournament last week and that Martel was not going to stand a chance against United States Champion Ann Calvello in their upcoming title match.

Jane SherillPatty O'HaraCarrie LloydJackie Long

Jane Sherill & Patty O'Hara defeated Carrie Lloyd* & Jackie Long when O'Hara pinned Lloyd following a double kick to the stomach by O'Hara and Sherill.

Ann CaseyAshley Sinclair

In her first appearance on AGWA TV, Ann Casey defeated Ashley Sinclair* by pinfall following an airplane spin. Sinclair was not happy about the pinfall loss and attacked Casey from behind and whipped her to the ropes post-match, but Casey ducked an attempted clothesline and dropkicked Sinclair out of the ring. At ringside with Dick Lane for an interview afterward, Casey greeted the fans and declared her pleasure at the opportunity to wrestle in the AGWA, putting the promotion over as the place where the real stars of women's wrestling compete (as a subtle "take that" to her former boss Fabulous Moolah) and welcomed the opportunity to work her way up to title contention in due time.

AGWA United States Championship

Renée MartelAGWA United States ChampionshipAnn CalvelloMae Young

Renée Martel got the title opportunity she earned via her tournament win last week as she faced off against Ann Calvello © (with Mae Young) for the United States belt. Calvello attacked Martel before the bell and delivered a double-axhandle to her challenger's back on the rebound from the ropes. The champion continued her assault with chops, elbows, and fists. She then grabbed the arena microphone and ripped into Martel verbally. Calvello took Martel down with a Russian legsweep and got a 2 1/2-count. Energized by the fans' chants, Martel soon turned the tide as she battled back and put Calvello on the defensive with technical moves, then she went for her flying forearm smash off the ropes, but Calvello pulled the referee into the way. Calvello was disqualified, enabling her to retain her belt. Post-match, Martel continued brawling with Calvello when Diane Syverson, Georgia Hase and Margot Bouchard ran in and helped Calvello quadruple-team Martel for a few moments before Earlene Brown, Joyce Fowler, Barbara Walker and Claire Lepage ran in to chase the Queen's Court out for the save for Renée.

Post-taping dark match

Joan WestonNWA North American Women's ChampionshipMary Jane Mull

Joan Weston © defeated Mary Jane Mull by pinfall following a shoulderbreaker.

* All wrestlers so indicated were created for this diary, basically serving as AGWA enhancement talent.