Tag Title change in Handicap match?

Bit of backstory, I was building a tag team feud heading into a PPV where the plan was to have the tag titles change hands. 2 weeks out from the event and one half of the tag champions gets injured and can't work matches. No problem I thought, the planned match will now be a handicap match, and actually will help extend the story.

I pre-booked the handicap match, put the tag titles on the line, went to save it and was told the tag titles can't be on the line because it is not the correct match type. I know this is uncommon, but it's not as though it hasn't happened countless times in the real world, and I am playing as WCW so hey, titles changing hands under less than usual circumstances is basically an unwritten rule.

Is there any way I can go about having the title change hands in a match without replacing the injured champion?

I had the same situation, where I wanted to move the titles to a new team, but one of the champs was injured and unable to compete.

The only workaround I could figure out was to have the uninjured champ team with someone else and drop the straps. You used to see this kind of thing IRL years ago with substitutions slotted into a tag title defence.

You can have titles change hands in angles if you book them, so the easiest thing to do would be to run the match and then have a post match angle where the new champion(s) are crowned. That way you can run the match AND choose who the champions are, though it's been a while since I booked an angle like that and I forget the precise mechanics for doing so. :)

Tag team championships have never been eligible for retention in handicap matches in TEW, to my knowledge.

I get that, would be nice if you could do it though.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I ended up bringing an outsider into the story early as a replacement to get around the issue, before I realised you could change titles in an angle. Oh well.