Inspiration/Ideas for Storylines Thread

As someone who has almost no inspiration to do a Sports Entertainment product to create storylines, I made this thread to try to help other people who have this exact problem. The concept is simple, put an idea for a storyline here so that others can take this idea and then create good storytelling with it. Maybe you can improve someone's save if you help them to this predicament.

A storyline I've run several times on both real world mods and the Cverse is to have a heel enlist a monstrous powerhouse type to be their bodyguard/muscle/occult demon and rise all the way to the top, winning the top title and staying there based almost entirely on pre-match attacks and interference from the big monster

Eventually the monster starts acting on their own, carrying out attacks, competing in matches, issuing challenges that their handler/boss/master never asked for or authorised. This starts causing friction between the two and it dawns on the heel champion that his monster has realised that the champ needs the monster more than they need the champ.

It was an idea I got from Frankenstein and I guess its similar to what happened with Batista in Evolution and is happening with Wardlow in AEW now. You can take it a variety of ways, most obviously slowly turning the big man and making them a face but there's no reason they can't remain a heel even after defying/destroying their heel "creator" and the creator themselves can even turn if that's the way you wanna take it.

I like to use it to introduce a big powerhouse, allowing them to build momentum and popularity through angles with the established heel and the occasional squash - this saves you having to feed a load of your wrestlers to a big rookie in squash matches and Ive sometimes managed to establish guys this way without the need for them to wrestle at all (did it with Mason Ryan and CM Punk once upon a time).

I usually use it to build a midcard heel into a main eventer too so if executed well and with the right guys you can wind up creating two main event stars in one story. The first time I ever ran this for example was in TEW 16 with John Greed and Primus Allen.

I’ll have to look back at some of my old saves, but here’s one of my favorite dumb feuds:

Freddie Huggins vs Edd Stone.

Stone asked out Laura Huggins, which annoyed Freddie. Freddie started getting possessive, especially when Laura started valeting for Edd. He began running in on matches, etc. Finally, Huggins challenges Stone to a match for Laura and wins.

At that point, Edd says “All right, fine, man, I’ll stay away. Here, let’s have a beer together and toast to no hard feelings?”

To which Freddie, playing a straight edge gimmick says “sorry, I’m a teetotaler. I don’t drink.”

And Edd says “Dude, I don’t even know what that means. But it’s not cool to refuse to drink to no hard feelings.”

Which led Edd constantly trying to trick Freddie into drinking a beer with him, before finally turning heel and trying to actually force Freddie to drink. It finally ended with a keg match where Freddie won by forcing Edd’s mouth under the keg for a drink.

My favorite thing about Edd Stone is that I always see him as this lovable idiot weirdo who can constantly lose and still bounce right back without it hurting his push because he always thinks he’s awesome.

A storyline I've run several times on both real world mods and the Cverse is to have a heel enlist a monstrous powerhouse type to be their bodyguard/muscle/occult demon and rise all the way to the top, winning the top title and staying there based almost entirely on pre-match attacks and interference from the big monster

Eventually the monster starts acting on their own, carrying out attacks, competing in matches, issuing challenges that their handler/boss/master never asked for or authorised. This starts causing friction between the two and it dawns on the heel champion that his monster has realised that the champ needs the monster more than they need the champ.

It was an idea I got from Frankenstein and I guess its similar to what happened with Batista in Evolution and is happening with Wardlow in AEW now. You can take it a variety of ways, most obviously slowly turning the big man and making them a face but there's no reason they can't remain a heel even after defying/destroying their heel "creator" and the creator themselves can even turn if that's the way you wanna take it.

I like to use it to introduce a big powerhouse, allowing them to build momentum and popularity through angles with the established heel and the occasional squash - this saves you having to feed a load of your wrestlers to a big rookie in squash matches and Ive sometimes managed to establish guys this way without the need for them to wrestle at all (did it with Mason Ryan and CM Punk once upon a time).

I usually use it to build a midcard heel into a main eventer too so if executed well and with the right guys you can wind up creating two main event stars in one story. The first time I ever ran this for example was in TEW 16 with John Greed and Primus Allen.

I turned Benny Benson heel in my TCW game and did this with him using Mutant as his bodyguard who helped him win the TV Title and make a great run with it. It's been one of my favorite things.

Really like this idea and may just steal it!

I always try and take storyline ideas from films. I normally take a random film and try and see how its plot would work on a wrestling show.

Just remembered another all time fave of mine. Again from SWF TEW 16.

I'd been running an angle where Jessie Gilmore had gotten hurt at ringside in a tag match between Crippler & Remo and Jack Bruce & Angry Gilmore. With Jessie hospitalised, Gilmore snapped and took his rage out on all four men, attacking them with a lead pipe. This was an intersection of two feuds to squeeze an extra fatal four way PPV bout out of them before blowing them both off.

Remo won both the Fatal Four Way and the resulting 1 vs 1 match with Gilmore at the next PPV. With Gilmore still hell bent on vengeance, Jessie returned and asked him to drop it because it was damaging their marriage - here's where it gets good. After a few weeks of their fractious relationship Gilmore sees sense, confessing his love to Jessie in the ring and proposing - asking her to renew their vows the next week on Supreme TV. Tom even apologised to Jack and asked him to play a song at the reception!

Now, wrestling wedding, you know what's coming. Joe Sexy crashes the vow renewal and says that way back when he and Gilmore were a tag team he "got there first" with Jessie. He says he can't let Tom go through with the vow renewal because he still has respect for him from those days and it kills him to see Tom living a lie. Basically cribbed from the Macho Man/Ric Flair story but with a little added history between the two men.

This was meant to be a bit of a quicky feud just to cement Tom and Jessie's relationship in story again and give Tom his babyface fire back but then USPW poach him! So I'm building to this match and suddenly it becomes a loser leaves town match which Joe Sexy wins after Jessie betrays Tom! Now Joe is on his way to the main event as the most hated heel in the company. That was a real fun one

I’ll have to look back at some of my old saves, but here’s one of my favorite dumb feuds:

Freddie Huggins vs Edd Stone.

Stone asked out Laura Huggins, which annoyed Freddie. Freddie started getting possessive, especially when Laura started valeting for Edd. He began running in on matches, etc. Finally, Huggins challenges Stone to a match for Laura and wins.

At that point, Edd says “All right, fine, man, I’ll stay away. Here, let’s have a beer together and toast to no hard feelings?”

To which Freddie, playing a straight edge gimmick says “sorry, I’m a teetotaler. I don’t drink.”

And Edd says “Dude, I don’t even know what that means. But it’s not cool to refuse to drink to no hard feelings.”

Which led Edd constantly trying to trick Freddie into drinking a beer with him, before finally turning heel and trying to actually force Freddie to drink. It finally ended with a keg match where Freddie won by forcing Edd’s mouth under the keg for a drink.

My favorite thing about Edd Stone is that I always see him as this lovable idiot weirdo who can constantly lose and still bounce right back without it hurting his push because he always thinks he’s awesome.

That's brilliant. Love the gimmick match. Very "Kiss My Foot" or "Mimosa Mayhem"

Really like this idea and may just steal it!

I always try and take storyline ideas from films. I normally take a random film and try and see how its plot would work on a wrestling show.

Yeah I always do this too. I mean hey it worked for Vince Russo right?

A weird one I haven't done in a game yet, but maybe using James and Raymond Diaz as a sort of C-Verse version of Hook and Taz. Let Raymond Diaz run a group similar to Team Taz, and have James play the strong, silent prodigy.

Not sure where'd you go from there, but I think it could work as a C-Verse equivalent of the AEW storyline.

A weird one I haven't done in a game yet, but maybe using James and Raymond Diaz as a sort of C-Verse version of Hook and Taz. Let Raymond Diaz run a group similar to Team Taz, and have James play the strong, silent prodigy.

Not sure where'd you go from there, but I think it could work as a C-Verse equivalent of the AEW storyline.

I love this. Trying to think of who’d be a Brian Cage, Ricky Starks, and Powerhouse Hobbs. I think Papa Swoll would be good for Powerhouse Hobbs. Brian Cage could be an established monster guy who needs mouthpiece. Nelson Callum or Davis Wayne Newton would be good Ricky Stark replacement.

I love this. Trying to think of who’d be a Brian Cage, Ricky Starks, and Powerhouse Hobbs. I think Papa Swoll would be good for Powerhouse Hobbs. Brian Cage could be an established monster guy who needs mouthpiece. Nelson Callum or Davis Wayne Newton would be good Ricky Stark replacement.

Papa Swoll would be a great Hobbs. How about Juggernaut Jones for Brian Cage? Not really established, but an athletic monster with high star quality and 0 mic skills. I also think Xavi Ferrera would work well as Ricky Starks.

Edit: Just thought of something, if you can steal him away from 21CW, why not Viktor Beskov as Brian Cage?

I book Valiant by his “honorable warrior” in the most literal way possible. He refuses to break the rules, attack an opponent with his back turned or use any weapons, even in a hardcore match. It’s an especially great way to keep him strong when losing, as I have him eat a loss because he’s not willing to compromise on his ideals. You can basically give this gimmick to any white meat baby face and make them significantly more fun to book, since these are the most reviled characters for fantasy bookers.

As mentioned above, Papa Swoll seems like the perfect Hobbs. There aren’t too many characters with Cage’s build that have his workrate and none of them come easy or cheap in CVerse. If age isn’t an issue, how about one of the former NOTBPW strongmen in PGHW? Or another ex-NOTBPW workrate hoss in Mark Griffin? Maybe Warmonger from Australia or getting Logan Wolfsbaine to put on more muscle? As for Starks, I absolutely love Robbie Wright in that role. The only question is how do you pry him away from SWF? An alternative is Ant-Man or Fro Sure

I book Valiant by his “honorable warrior” in the most literal way possible. He refuses to break the rules, attack an opponent with his back turned or use any weapons, even in a hardcore match. It’s an especially great way to keep him strong when losing, as I have him eat a loss because he’s not willing to compromise on his ideals. You can basically give this gimmick to any white meat baby face and make them significantly more fun to book, since these are the most reviled characters for fantasy bookers.

Personally I'm one of those that dislike the "honorable warrior" in this sense. It feels more heel to me. Like someone who has an excuse to complain to the boss about not getting the job done. Valiance means bravery and courage, it's about facing down a huge obstacle without fear. Valiant should be willing to get into the ring against Rogue and Remo in a handicap match with a steel chair in his hand. Not someone who tries to handicap himself against the competition. Imo.

I always had an idea to use a psychotic heel and turn them face - have them find God or go to therapy or whatever - and then constantly be faced with opportunities to cheat or use weapons, leading them to be conflicted and costing them matches in a similar way.

I'm using a 98 mod as WCW. I hired some classics. I offered contracts to Jerry Sags and Brian Knobbs. Obviously, I was going for a Nasty Boyz reunion. Brian Knobbs signed but Jerry Sags is On Hiatus. I've tried talking to Sags to no avail. Long story short, I'm stuck with Brian Knobbs solo and no ideas for him. I tried to release him but got like 8 pleas from other workers asking me not to.

How long is Sags on hiatus for?

Two thoughts off the top of my head:

1. Book Knobs as a singles wrestler. He was never great, but I am guessing something can still be done in 1998. From there you have two options - he tries to find his footing but is unable to (.500 or just below) without Sags, or he is quite successful without him.

Under the first option, when Sags comes in they need to go on a tear, even if it is mediocre competition. Builds the story that he and Sags need each other to succeed.

Under option B, what if Knobs was successful without Sags? Does he give up singles glory to go back to being a tag team? Maybe Knobs is fine going solo, but Sags is jealous. There is a sneak attack and of course Sags comes to the rescue. Was sags the one behind the attack?

2. Have Knobs find a third Nasty. Set them as a unit and as they rack up wins (Knobs getting the pin) you should see the new partner's popularity grow.

Sags comes back. They can build a strong trio, with the younger Nasty becoming the focus (if you find someone you want to build and push), do they turn on him, or does he realize he should be the focus and turn on them?

One of my recent favourite from CGC in 2003.

Jack DeColt is the CGC World Champion, finishing his opponents with a devastating Knockout Punch. Every week, he has some fun by setting up a Punch Testing Machine (like you'd find in an amusement arcade) and accepting challenges from fans, undercard babyfaces, and little kids. Mostly good-natured fun and games, but occasionally heels would get involved, heating it up.

After a couple of months, Jack's getting cocky, and starts doing trick punches. After he gets his worst score ever (to be fair, he was blindfolded) Moose Mulder steps up. A big fat lad who some fans may remember from his 1997-8 run (he barely escaped the pre-show then) he became the first man to beat Jack's score with his Moose Punch. Jack took it well, but wanted a second go (without the blindfold). Insisting he won, Moose destroyed the machine.

At this point, Jack had bigger fish to fry (the Soldiers of Fortune were gunning for his belt) and Moose took over the Punching Contest gimmick. But in a mean way. Taunting. Insulting. Mocking fans. Bragging about how his punch can break the antlers off of a moose. So Jack challenged him to a rematch. A Best of Three punching contest, live on Pay Per View. Moose won Round 1. Jack won Round 2. And in Round 3... Moose took a cheap shot and KO'd an unsuspecting Jack DeColt. No contest. No winner. Several undercard babyfaces took offense to this, challenging Moose to matches (his first since '98) but all ate the Moose Punch. After a few weeks of the Jesus push, the CGC Matchmaking committee name him the No.1 Contender to Jack's title.

Jack wins the first match, but neither man hits their punch. A lot of ducking. A lot of weaving. Moose gets tired and Jack taps him out with the End of Days. Jack is undoubtedly the better wrestler, but Moose taunts him. The Moose Punch is better! Jack fears the Moose Punch!

Now comes the chaos. Moose KO's Jack after a match! Jack returns the favour! Friends get involved! Families! People take bullets for Jack! Moose accidentally KO's potential allies! Jack misses and punches the ringpost! All the while Jack is still defending his belt against other major villains.

Match 2 is a 'Nothin' but Knockout' match. No pinfalls. No submissions. This time, both men hit their hand grenades, but Jack beats the 10-count and Moose falls into the referee, giving him extra recovery time. Finally, with big swings, fist meets fist and the punches collide in the middle, breaking Jack's hand and separating Moose's shoulder. Jack retains by ramming Moose head-first into the post, but which punch was the strongest? We may never really know.

It's been about 6 months since their clash, and they've had matches since, but the question has never been answered. I loved the story. Fun TV, non-wrestling segments with purpose, and it made Moose Mulder. He went from Unimportant job guy to Well-Known strong heel in 4 months, without killing half my midcard. And he has room to grow. I can breathe new life into him at any moment with a group or a manager or... a new punch? Time will tell.

Jack DeColt is the CGC World Champion, finishing his opponents with a devastating Knockout Punch. Every week, he has some fun by setting up a Punch Testing Machine (like you'd find in an amusement arcade) and accepting challenges from fans, undercard babyfaces, and little kids. Mostly good-natured fun and games, but occasionally heels would get involved, heating it up.

After a couple of months, Jack's getting cocky, and starts doing trick punches. After he gets his worst score ever (to be fair, he was blindfolded) Moose Mulder steps up. A big fat lad who some fans may remember from his 1997-8 run (he barely escaped the pre-show then) he became the first man to beat Jack's score with his Moose Punch. Jack took it well, but wanted a second go (without the blindfold). Insisting he won, Moose destroyed the machine.

At this point, Jack had bigger fish to fry (the Soldiers of Fortune were gunning for his belt) and Moose took over the Punching Contest gimmick. But in a mean way. Taunting. Insulting. Mocking fans. Bragging about how his punch can break the antlers off of a moose. So Jack challenged him to a rematch. A Best of Three punching contest, live on Pay Per View. Moose won Round 1. Jack won Round 2. And in Round 3... Moose took a cheap shot and KO'd an unsuspecting Jack DeColt. No contest. No winner. Several undercard babyfaces took offense to this, challenging Moose to matches (his first since '98) but all ate the Moose Punch. After a few weeks of the Jesus push, the CGC Matchmaking committee name him the No.1 Contender to Jack's title.

Jack wins the first match, but neither man hits their punch. A lot of ducking. A lot of weaving. Moose gets tired and Jack taps him out with the End of Days. Jack is undoubtedly the better wrestler, but Moose taunts him. The Moose Punch is better! Jack fears the Moose Punch!

Now comes the chaos. Moose KO's Jack after a match! Jack returns the favour! Friends get involved! Families! People take bullets for Jack! Moose accidentally KO's potential allies! Jack misses and punches the ringpost! All the while Jack is still defending his belt against other major villains.

Match 2 is a 'Nothin' but Knockout' match. No pinfalls. No submissions. This time, both men hit their hand grenades, but Jack beats the 10-count and Moose falls into the referee, giving him extra recovery time. Finally, with big swings, fist meets fist and the punches collide in the middle, breaking Jack's hand and separating Moose's shoulder. Jack retains by ramming Moose head-first into the post, but which punch was the strongest? We may never really know.

It's been about 6 months since their clash, and they've had matches since, but the question has never been answered. I loved the story. Fun TV, non-wrestling segments with purpose, and it made Moose Mulder. He went from Unimportant job guy to Well-Known strong heel in 4 months, without killing half my midcard. And he has room to grow. I can breathe new life into him at any moment with a group or a manager or... a new punch? Time will tell.

I am thoroughly Sports Entertained and your stories with CGC never fail to impress me and amuse me.

I demand to know who has the better punch!

This was an AWESOME read! 10/10! :D

Applause. This is wrestling

This sounds like a fantastic storyline to culminate in one great PPV. I need to know who has the greatest punch!

I'm using a 98 mod as WCW. I hired some classics. I offered contracts to Jerry Sags and Brian Knobbs. Obviously, I was going for a Nasty Boyz reunion. Brian Knobbs signed but Jerry Sags is On Hiatus. I've tried talking to Sags to no avail. Long story short, I'm stuck with Brian Knobbs solo and no ideas for him. I tried to release him but got like 8 pleas from other workers asking me not to.

In previous iterations of TEW, I started a hardcore division and had Knobbs compete in that. He's a solid brawler with decent overness. Even if he doesn't win a lot, he is still a valuable hand.

How long is Sags on hiatus for?

Two thoughts off the top of my head:

1. Book Knobs as a singles wrestler. He was never great, but I am guessing something can still be done in 1998. From there you have two options - he tries to find his footing but is unable to (.500 or just below) without Sags, or he is quite successful without him.

Under the first option, when Sags comes in they need to go on a tear, even if it is mediocre competition. Builds the story that he and Sags need each other to succeed.

Under option B, what if Knobs was successful without Sags? Does he give up singles glory to go back to being a tag team? Maybe Knobs is fine going solo, but Sags is jealous. There is a sneak attack and of course Sags comes to the rescue. Was sags the one behind the attack?

2. Have Knobs find a third Nasty. Set them as a unit and as they rack up wins (Knobs getting the pin) you should see the new partner's popularity grow.

Sags comes back. They can build a strong trio, with the younger Nasty becoming the focus (if you find someone you want to build and push), do they turn on him, or does he realize he should be the focus and turn on them?

I like the sound of 2...I do have a lot of unused talent...maybe a new stable