Worldwide Wrestling League (CVerse '77) - The League That Came Before

Luis Figo Manico thinks he was the first to create a pro wrestling league. He's wrong. Maybe due to arrogance or just a lack of knowledge of wrestling history, I don't care. I just want him to know Jack Classic did it first.

Over 40 years ago, in fact. 1977. I was just 26 years old then, a wrestler in my own right. I inherited a fair sum from my late grandfather and decided to invest it all in the Worldwide Wrestling League.

8 men from around the world (although at the start I was only able to attract a few international names outside of the UK) taking part in league competition across the United Kingdom. As far as I'm aware, nobody had done it before. But I'm willing to accept I, like Figo, may be mistaken and someone had got there beforehand.

Anyway, for fear of WWL's legacy falling into obscurity, I've revived the archives for the modern world to see.

OOC: After months of struggle, I've decided to abandon PWL and start afresh. I tried three times to reimagine PWL in a way which fit the limited time I had, but nothing felt right. It became a chore. By the end of the second year (and a full year of real life), the diary had reached a logical stopping point and had grown to unmanageable proportions. I even wrote up eight shows of the ninth season, but it wasn't feeling good.

Then I tried a whole load of other things, other potential diaries which fell short of what I wanted. Then I finally decided to return to the league format, but using a different database. I've always liked the 1977 CVerse (That 70's Mod) database so I went with that. Full credit to Mr T Jobs To Me (click here to go to the thread for the mod)

So, to all those who followed PWL, thank you for your patience and apologies I couldn't continue. WWL promises many of the things PWL had, but toned down. Here's what you can expect:

- League seasons (with prediction competitions if there's enough interest)

- Shows posted weekly

- A small number of wrestlers competing frequently, so you can keep track of what's going on and pick your favourites

And here's what's different from PWL:

- Shorter show write-ups - no commentary and long match descriptions

- Fewer graphics (only the main event of each show gets character faces)

- No entrance themes

Basically, I've cut out all of the things that took me a long time and weren't a core part of the diary. Instead, I've kept the league format and long term storytelling which is what I love most.

Here's hoping you enjoy!

RULES OF WWL

- The league will consist of 8 singles competitors

- Each wrestler will face every other wrestler in the league once over the course of seven rounds.

- Matches are contested under two-out-of-three falls rules.

- 2 points are awarded to the winner of each match, 1 point each in case of a draw and 0 points for a loss.

- In the case that wrestlers are level on points, they will be ranked first on fall difference (for example a 2-0 victory is better than 2-1), and secondly head-to-head record.

- The competitors who finish the seven rounds in first and second place in the league will face each other in a 2/3 falls title match to crown the winner of the season.

- The competitors who finish the seven rounds in seventh and eighth place will compete in a 2/3 falls relegation playoff, with the loser being eliminated from the league and replaced by a brand new competitor in the next season.

TROPHIES and TITLES

- Each league winner gains a trophy which is named after the location the league took place in, the first being the Bristol Trophy, the second the Nottingham Trophy, etc.

- The Endurance Crown will be introduced at the end of the first season. This is a title which must be defended whenever the holder competesm including league competition. The only exception is during the Caledonian Cup.

- The Caledonian Cup takes place in the summer and is a double-elimination tournament.

SCHEDULE and CHAMPIONS TOURNAMENT

- During a calendar year, four league seasons will take place, plus the Caledonian Cup. Following that, in November and December, there will be a Champions Tournament which will crown the best wrestler of the year.

- Qualification and seeding for the Champions Tournament is based on success throughout the year.

- Winning a league trophy earns 2 seed points

- The winner of the Caledonian Cup earns 1 seed point

- The wrestler who wins the most matches as Endurance Crown holder earns 1 seed point.

- Wrestlers are then ranked on how many seed points they've earned. In the case of equal seed points, average league position decides the order

- The Champions Tournament will proceed in stages of elimination (similar to a gauntlet match but each bout at a separate time). First, the two lowest ranked competitors will face off, with one advancing to the next stage where they will compete with the third lowest ranked wrestler. The winner of that match will face the next competitor in the ranking, and so on, until the final stage against the top-ranked wrestler.

Luis Figo Manico thinks he was the first to create a pro wrestling league. He's wrong. Maybe due to arrogance or just a lack of knowledge of wrestling history, I don't care. I just want him to know Jack Classic did it first.

Over 40 years ago, in fact. 1977. I was just 26 years old then, a wrestler in my own right. I inherited a fair sum from my late grandfather and decided to invest it all in the Worldwide Wrestling League.

8 men from around the world (although at the start I was only able to attract a few international names outside of the UK) taking part in league competition across the United Kingdom. As far as I'm aware, nobody had done it before. But I'm willing to accept I, like Figo, may be mistaken and someone had got there beforehand.

Anyway, for fear of WWL's legacy falling into obscurity, I've revived the archives for the modern world to see.

OOC: After months of struggle, I've decided to abandon PWL and start afresh. I tried three times to reimagine PWL in a way which fit the limited time I had, but nothing felt right. It became a chore. By the end of the second year (and a full year of real life), the diary had reached a logical stopping point and had grown to unmanageable proportions. I even wrote up eight shows of the ninth season, but it wasn't feeling good.

Then I tried a whole load of other things, other potential diaries which fell short of what I wanted. Then I finally decided to return to the league format, but using a different database. I've always liked the 1977 CVerse (That 70's Mod) database so I went with that. Full credit to Mr T Jobs To Me (click here to go to the thread for the mod)

So, to all those who followed PWL, thank you for your patience and apologies I couldn't continue. WWL promises many of the things PWL had, but toned down. Here's what you can expect:

- League seasons (with prediction competitions if there's enough interest)

- Shows posted weekly

- A small number of wrestlers competing frequently, so you can keep track of what's going on and pick your favourites

And here's what's different from PWL:

- Shorter show write-ups - no commentary and long match descriptions

- Fewer graphics (only the main event of each show gets character faces)

- No entrance themes

Basically, I've cut out all of the things that took me a long time and weren't a core part of the diary. Instead, I've kept the league format and long term storytelling which is what I love most.

Here's hoping you enjoy!

RULES OF WWL

- The league will consist of 8 singles competitors

- Each wrestler will face every other wrestler in the league once over the course of seven rounds.

- Matches are contested under two-out-of-three falls rules.

- 2 points are awarded to the winner of each match, 1 point each in case of a draw and 0 points for a loss.

- In the case that wrestlers are level on points, they will be ranked first on fall difference (for example a 2-0 victory is better than 2-1), and secondly head-to-head record.

- The competitors who finish the seven rounds in first and second place in the league will face each other in a 2/3 falls title match to crown the winner of the season.

- The competitors who finish the seven rounds in seventh and eighth place will compete in a 2/3 falls relegation playoff, with the loser being eliminated from the league and replaced by a brand new competitor in the next season.

TROPHIES and TITLES

- Each league winner gains a trophy which is named after the location the league took place in, the first being the Bristol Trophy, the second the Nottingham Trophy, etc.

- The Endurance Crown will be introduced at the end of the first season. This is a title which must be defended whenever the holder competesm including league competition. The only exception is during the Caledonian Cup.

- The Caledonian Cup takes place in the summer and is a double-elimination tournament.

SCHEDULE and CHAMPIONS TOURNAMENT

- During a calendar year, four league seasons will take place, plus the Caledonian Cup. Following that, in November and December, there will be a Champions Tournament which will crown the best wrestler of the year.

- Qualification and seeding for the Champions Tournament is based on success throughout the year.

- Winning a league trophy earns 2 seed points

- The winner of the Caledonian Cup earns 1 seed point

- The wrestler who wins the most matches as Endurance Crown holder earns 1 seed point.

- Wrestlers are then ranked on how many seed points they've earned. In the case of equal seed points, average league position decides the order

- The Champions Tournament will proceed in stages of elimination (similar to a gauntlet match but each bout at a separate time). First, the two lowest ranked competitors will face off, with one advancing to the next stage where they will compete with the third lowest ranked wrestler. The winner of that match will face the next competitor in the ranking, and so on, until the final stage against the top-ranked wrestler.

WWL S1: Bristol Cup R2 Predictions

Leo King def. Kenny Maynard

Angus McCloud def. Daniel Whitman

Mikel de Sota def. Jack Classic

William Riley def. BB Greenwood

Bristol Cup 1977 Table Prediction

1st: Angus McCloud - Obviously going to be very good. A lot of this is based on the ratings from their first match and McCloud far and away performed best.

2nd: William Riley - Looks set for a story of a strong competitor who'll win early but fade away as time going on. I think he'll win the Bristol Cup defeating McCloud in the final but losing to him in the league.

3rd: Daniel Whitman - Good first match and looks like he could do well.

4th: Leo King - Despite losing his first match, he performed really well (2nd best), so I feel like he'll still do well this season.

5th: Kenny Maynard - He did win his first match, but his rating was pretty poor. I suspect this may be due to his unknown nature so I'm going will a 5th place introduction with better results to come

6th: Mikel de Sota - He got the worst rating but being a young wrestler I feel like he'll do just enough to avoid the relegation fight, although it could easily happen

7th: Jack Classic - It's all tough to call, but I've put Jack in 7th as I can't see him having a great finish this season. Saying that, he's not last.

8th: BB Greenwood - From everything we've been given, Greenwood will be about as impressive as Washi Heat was (will be?) and get relegated in dead last in the first season.

WWL S1: Bristol Cup R2 Predictions

Leo King def. Kenny Maynard

Angus McCloud def. Daniel Whitman

Mikel de Sota def. Jack Classic

William Riley def. BB Greenwood

Bristol Cup 1977 Table Prediction

1st: Angus McCloud - Obviously going to be very good. A lot of this is based on the ratings from their first match and McCloud far and away performed best.

2nd: William Riley - Looks set for a story of a strong competitor who'll win early but fade away as time going on. I think he'll win the Bristol Cup defeating McCloud in the final but losing to him in the league.

3rd: Daniel Whitman - Good first match and looks like he could do well.

4th: Leo King - Despite losing his first match, he performed really well (2nd best), so I feel like he'll still do well this season.

5th: Kenny Maynard - He did win his first match, but his rating was pretty poor. I suspect this may be due to his unknown nature so I'm going will a 5th place introduction with better results to come

6th: Mikel de Sota - He got the worst rating but being a young wrestler I feel like he'll do just enough to avoid the relegation fight, although it could easily happen

7th: Jack Classic - It's all tough to call, but I've put Jack in 7th as I can't see him having a great finish this season. Saying that, he's not last.

8th: BB Greenwood - From everything we've been given, Greenwood will be about as impressive as Washi Heat was (will be?) and get relegated in dead last in the first season.

Ahh, I missed your prediction comments. To an extent you're right to base the league predictions on the match ratings, but some of the matches went a bit pear shaped (bad chemistry and injuries) so that might have thrown a spanner in the works.

Kenny Maynard vs. Leo King

Angus McCloud vs. Daniel Whitman

Jack Classic vs. Mikel de Sota

BB Greenwood vs. William Riley

Good to see you predicting, Herrbear!

Cbb7Z71.png

ePLDxt7.png

Q5skuSY.png

hyXEYq9.png

Predictions

Herrbear: 3/4

DinoKea: 2/4

(For the forfeited match I awarded a point because I think it's unfair otherwise)

Season 1 Predictions

Next Time

Leo King vs. Mikel de Sota (If recovered)

BB Greenwood vs. Daniel Whitman

Angus McCloud vs. Kenny Maynard

Jack Classic vs. William Riley

• Like 1

bt8AQj8.png

wMa4pet.png

7idaOoa.png

bOTrXZ6.png

Predictions

Herrbear: 4/4

DinoKea: 3/4

Season 1 Predictions

Herrbear: 7/8

DinoKea: 5/8

Next Time

Daniel Whitman vs. Mikel de Sota (If recovered)

BB Greenwood vs. Jack Classic

Angus McCloud vs. Leo King

Kenny Maynard vs. William Riley

• Like 1

Bristol Cup 1977 Round 4 Predictions

Daniel Whitman def. Mikel de Sota (If recovered)

Even if de Sota comes back I don't think you'd have him beating Whitman

Jack Classic def. BB Greenwood

Sorry BB but someone has to be the relegation fodder

Angus McCloud def. Leo King

King's been fine so far but McCloud has been pulling some of your best ratings so really should be doing well

Kenny Maynard def. William Riley

I want to back Riley, I really do, but I think Maynard takes the win here. He looks like he's headed for the title match, so I think he'll beat Riley along the way, even if Riley's pulling some of the best match ratings.

n13WTy5.png

MDudXwJ.png

5gxySEj.png

sNpxF53.png

Predictions

Season 1 Predictions

Herrbear: 11/12

DinoKea: 8/12

Next Time

BB Greenwood vs. Leo King

Kenny Maynard vs. Mikel de Sota (If recovered)

Daniel Whitman vs. Jack Classic

Angus McCloud vs. William Riley

• Like 1

WrJsYii.png

yOliuVU.png

aVsaW15.png

vC2gdoG.png

Predictions

Season 1 Predictions

Herrbear: 14/16

DinoKea: 10/16

Next Time

Jack Classic vs. Leo King

Daniel Whitman vs. William Riley

BB Greenwood vs. Kenny Maynard

Angus McCloud vs. Mikel de Sota

• Like 1

Nds2Ea4.png

b5Ccp57.png

QLHNaPe.png

XL487O8.png

Predictions

Herrbear: 2/4

Season 1 Predictions

Herrbear: 16/20

DinoKea: 13/20

Next Time

BB Greenwood vs. Mikel de Sota

Daniel Whitman vs. Kenny Maynard

Angus McCloud vs. Jack Classic

Leo King vs. William Riley

• Like 1

Bristol Cup 1977 - Round 7 Predictions

Mikel de Sota def. BB Greenwood

It looks like Greenwood is the likely candidate for relegation and can only sneak out if he beats de Sota (by 2?) and McCloud also loses. I don't it'll happen though.

Daniel Whitman def. Kenny Maynard

Maynard has clearly had a decent run given to him but I don't see Whitman losing ahead of the big finals match to keep the hype train running.

Angus McCloud def. Jack Classic

It's been a terrible run for McCloud but he's still pulling out your highest performances. Unless he's terribly overpriced, retiring or something I can't see why he'd be booked to fall into the relegation zone

William Riley def. Leo King

Riley stays undefeated beating an already safe King

K859i32.png

XvSzuPa.png

MZ6y3Vc.png

jwkr6Rd.png

Predictions

DinoKea: 4/4

Season 1 Predictions

Herrbear: 20/24

DinoKea: 17/24

Next Time: League Finale

Leo King vs. Mikel de Sota

(Semi-Final)

Angus McCloud vs. Kenny Maynard

(Semi-Final)

BB Greenwood vs. Jack Classic

(Relegation Playoff)

King/de Sota vs. McCloud/Maynard

(Endurance Crown Final)

Daniel Whitman vs. William Riley

(Bristol Trophy League Title)

• Like 1

Bristol Cup 1977 Final Predictions

Mikel de Sota def. Leo King (Semi-Final)

Angus McCloud def. Kenny Maynard (Semi-Final)

Jack Classic def. BB Greenwood (BB Greenwood relegated)

Mikel de Sota def. Angus McCloud (Mikel de Sota wins Endurance Cup)

William Riley def. Daniel Whitman (William Riley wins Bristol Cup)