OLLIE: The People's Promotion...sorry people (C'Verse 2020)

8le6D2C.jpg8le6D2C.jpg

4fbb17b9c7bf01a6f39c32d62e487af5.pnga3c6e08dfdd444ffc0ed3229211de1c0.png

39a429d4ec9fa45b95defe9167a8d977.png

MEXICO CITY--$2,000 buys you the oldest professional wrestling company in the world. And a boatload of headaches, if you're
Phoenix I
. The retired luchador took
OLLIE
off the hands of previous owner Joaquin Soler more as a favor than anything else. The company was dying. Probably not making its 75th anniversary.

9HPc2QO.jpg

Phoenix I

But the first Phoenix always boasted proper bedside manner. He would ensure the promotion he spent his entire career wrestling for would meet a dignified end. After all, the company gave generations of Mexicans their childhood memories since its 1955 inception. Plus, his boys in the back were a talented bunch, many already displaced by the 2014 closure of
MPWF
. If nothing else, OLLIE would springboard them to better-paying gigs with EMLL. Then there was the matter of legacy. In Phoenix I's charge was a trove of archival footage, priceless memorabilia and Mexican national history. He needed to preserve it, while he still could afford to.

So Phoenix I dialed the American phone number...

A few miles away, a gruff voice picks up. "This is Dinny speaking."
Dinny Rantall
, a veteran referee from north of the border. But a Mexicano in every way but name, skin and blood. After all, Rantall's been living in the capital since the 60s and his Spanish was what the average Duolingo user would kill for. He listened intently. Phoenix I was offering him a job.

rINkNVp.jpg

Dinny Rantall

Dinny gave up on his dreams a long time ago. At 61, he was comfortable in his $300-a-month, one bedroom apartment in Mexico City. There wasn't much left in the states for him. Rantall got his daughter through college. They don't talk much, anymore. He doesn't hear much from her kid either, who should be starting high school this year. But he was content. Even happy, at times. Twice a month, he would ref some local independent wrestling shows for cash. Most of the time, he spent pouring over his dusty collection of lucha libre history books. Each day, Dinny combs over pages full of glossy, black-and-white photos of El Patron, El Barbaro and Mephisto, jotting down inscrutable notes on the corners.

In other words, Dinny was the perfect man for the job. And he was thrilled to accept. Rantall would document, restore, archive...and book OLLIE. Well, for as long as it would stay in business...

8le6D2C.jpg8le6D2C.jpg

4fbb17b9c7bf01a6f39c32d62e487af5.pnga3c6e08dfdd444ffc0ed3229211de1c0.png

39a429d4ec9fa45b95defe9167a8d977.png

MEXICO CITY--$2,000 buys you the oldest professional wrestling company in the world. And a boatload of headaches, if you're
Phoenix I
. The retired luchador took
OLLIE
off the hands of previous owner Joaquin Soler more as a favor than anything else. The company was dying. Probably not making its 75th anniversary.

9HPc2QO.jpg

Phoenix I

But the first Phoenix always boasted proper bedside manner. He would ensure the promotion he spent his entire career wrestling for would meet a dignified end. After all, the company gave generations of Mexicans their childhood memories since its 1955 inception. Plus, his boys in the back were a talented bunch, many already displaced by the 2014 closure of
MPWF
. If nothing else, OLLIE would springboard them to better-paying gigs with EMLL. Then there was the matter of legacy. In Phoenix I's charge was a trove of archival footage, priceless memorabilia and Mexican national history. He needed to preserve it, while he still could afford to.

So Phoenix I dialed the American phone number...

A few miles away, a gruff voice picks up. "This is Dinny speaking."
Dinny Rantall
, a veteran referee from north of the border. But a Mexicano in every way but name, skin and blood. After all, Rantall's been living in the capital since the 60s and his Spanish was what the average Duolingo user would kill for. He listened intently. Phoenix I was offering him a job.

rINkNVp.jpg

Dinny Rantall

Dinny gave up on his dreams a long time ago. At 61, he was comfortable in his $300-a-month, one bedroom apartment in Mexico City. There wasn't much left in the states for him. Rantall got his daughter through college. They don't talk much, anymore. He doesn't hear much from her kid either, who should be starting high school this year. But he was content. Even happy, at times. Twice a month, he would ref some local independent wrestling shows for cash. Most of the time, he spent pouring over his dusty collection of lucha libre history books. Each day, Dinny combs over pages full of glossy, black-and-white photos of El Patron, El Barbaro and Mephisto, jotting down inscrutable notes on the corners.

In other words, Dinny was the perfect man for the job. And he was thrilled to accept. Rantall would document, restore, archive...and book OLLIE. Well, for as long as it would stay in business...

OLLIE is great to play with. I have found the finances get really easy if you get the best broadcasting deal possible (and it's available from the start) but man, the matches and feuds you can make with that excellent roster. Plus, the Lucha indie scene is by far the strongest in the game. Some awesome hires to make.

Looking forward to see what's in store!

Excited for this! My first ever diary was with OLLIE, just when the 2020 game came out and I fell in love with the company. And like others have said, there are some great talents with plenty more to sign. The women's division has massive potential with Electric Dreamer being an absolute standout, and then you've got Mr. Lucha III, Extraordinario Jr, the old guard of Lopez and Flores... I'm definitely going to follow this and see what you do with the People's Promotion!