WCW 1995

WCWMondayNitro2.jpg.9004bdee87e3c9d4a9b457981563fffe.jpg

Week 4, September 1996

LIVE from the Lawrence Joel Coliseum - Winston-Salem, NC

Attendance: 14,600 (SELLOUT!)

A ton of excitement is in the air as this edition of Monday Nitro kicks off. Fireworks fill the arena and WCW is heading into the highly anticipated Fall Brawl Pay Per View. The announce booth welcomes everyone to turning in and Tony Schiavone says tonight will be a defining moment for WCW as Ric Flair has demanded that Sting appear here tonight or he will not be welcome to team with him, Arn Anderson, and Lex Luger inside War Games. Tony says that Mean Gene Okerlund has been camped out at the doors all day long and so far, he's not seen Sting. Bobby Heenan wonders why Sting hasn't shown up anywhere since Road Wild and even then that was a limited appearance. He thinks something questionable is in the air going on between him and Lex Luger, as Luger's repeatedly come out and supposedly speaking for Sting. After Hulk Hogan, Bobby Heenan doesn't trust anyone appearing what they are. Nitro heads right away to the first match of the night.

Scotty Riggs vs Carl Oulette

ScottyRiggs.jpg.b7c0cbf2a412580b1521b83940ec8e54.jpg vs CarlOulette97.jpg.18346061d2bb441d56494c753051fd7f.jpg

Both competitors were accompanied by their tag team partners for this match, which resulted in the crowd paying more attention to the partners than the guys participating in the match. Marcus Bagwell and Jacques Rougeau continued to taunt and mess with one another during the match. This culminated in Rougeau using the French Canadian flag as Riggs bounced into the ropes. The only issue is this was done right in front of the referee when Jacques thought he wasn't looking. Scotty Riggs got the victory at 7:37 by DQ.

Winner by DQ: Scotty Riggs

Rating: 53

Following the match, all four men start brawling. Marcus Bagwell was able to toss Jacques from the ring and then immediately clothesline Carl Oulette over the top rope to put an end to the brawl.

Rating: 52

SteveAustin96.jpg.da1d2348c949910b923de2be6074ad0f.jpg

Austin: Let me make one thing perfectly clear to anyone who might be too dumb to understand simple English. Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, the two of you fit into that very category because let me tell you just who in the hell I am! I'm Steve Austin. I ain't Stunning anymore, I'm not a nice guy, I've got a bad attitude, and I'm real real thin on my patience. The fact I was able to hold my patience with the two of you for so long is a miracle in itself! When I first joined the Horsemen, I made it a point to reestablish the Four Horsemen to be the most dominant, feared, tough as nails group that they USED to be! For awhile, we succeeded in that, but don't make any mistake that Ric Flair and Arn Anderson were key members in  that! If it weren't for myself and Brian Pillman, the Horsemen would be what they've always been - outdated and pathetic!

Ric Flair, you won that world title and then all the common sense left your brain! I said it this past weekend on Saturday Night, and I'll say it again here, I am official done with the Four Horsemen! I'm officially done with trying to resurrect a dinosaur! And I am, without a doubt, 100% done with being anyone else's whipping boy! From here on out, Steve Austin is gonna take matters into my own hands and I'm gonna do whatever I feel like doing at anyone's expense, and if you or anybody else don't like it, then I give anyone the open opportunity to do something about it! Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, if the two of you wanna go around wasting your time with the NWO, be my guest! Steve Austin will go ahead to kick people's ass and win titles, 

And THAT's the bottom line!

Rating: 100

Scott Armstrong vs Wrath

ScottArmstrong.jpg.5eb593593b62fd762f10b9f393d2f0cd.jpg vs BryanClark3.jpg.b67bd6f63d6992baf0d9315cb2bf57cf.jpg

The combined entrance times were longer than this match was. Wrath was completely dominating in this match and put things away at 5:14 with the Meltdown.

Winner: Wrath

Rating: 43

- We're taken backstage and out in the parking area where a limo is slowly pulling up.

GeneOkerlund6.jpg.adc0fbba7ca24fd0ba88f3eb53a117f7.jpg

Mean Gene Okerlund is seen for the first time tonight, microphone in hand, and rushing toward the limo as it came to a stop. Mean Gene speculates that this could be Sting arriving to the arena. No one exits from the limo and Gene walks up and knocks on the window several times. Gene guesses that whoever is inside isn't interested in talking right now but he assures fans that he's going to keep trying to get some kind of reaction from whoever is inside.

Rating: 67

Steve Armstrong vs Fit Finlay

SteveArmstrong2.jpg.946c552bda6f64a8547379a56ed7020d.jpg vs FitFinlay5.jpg.271258ed2a04652a14fcf7b616c8795a.jpg

Matches on this Nitro so far continue to fall flat, the Armstrongs continue their struggles in those matches, and this match especially fell flat, resulting in the crowd chanting "boring" very quickly after the bell. Finlay put everyone out of their misery by getting the win at 6:20 with the Tombstone Piledriver.

Winner: Fit Finlay

Rating: 36

GeneOkerlund6.jpg.adc0fbba7ca24fd0ba88f3eb53a117f7.jpgEricBischoff3.jpg.263b17c2c5137306c2a73e0ce5a728a3.jpg

Mean Gene takes a break apparently from trying to get someone to open the limo door as Nitro returns from a commercial break. Gene brings out WCW Executive President Eric Bischoff and says that this is about the Television title as champion Lord Steven Regal picked up a pretty severe injury earlier this week and will be out of action and unable to defend the title.

Bischoff walks out to a mostly non-reaction from the crowd as he climbs in the ring and shakes hands with Mean Gene. Bischoff says that as important as the TV title is to WCW, it's certainly had a rough go of things for the last several months. Steven Regal is a 4 time Television champion, but despite that, Eric Bischoff can't, in good conscious, keep the title on him until he's able to return from his injury, which is said to be at least 6 months. As a result, Regal has been stripped of the TV title and what better way to establish a new champion then having a tournament. Bischoff says the tournament starts right here tonight with the next two matches and will culminate at Halloween Havoc to crown a new champion. 

Rating: 76

TV Title Tournament:

Alex Wright vs Sgt. Craig Pittman

AlexWright3.jpg.e9766d5181a0751ef3875e87fe6504b1.jpg vs CraigPittman.jpg.837cb55ac8275c70b8e696c47aaf3a80.jpg

Sgt. Pittman makes a rare appearance on Monday Nitro and it's for an opportunity to continue in the newly-born TV title tournament. Unfortunately for both competitors, this match fell even more flat than Steve Armstrongs. Alex Wright picked up the win at 8:05 and the right to continue on in the tournament.

Winner: Alex Wright

Rating: 29

TV Title Tournament:

Brad Armstrong vs Big Bubba Rogers

BradArmstrongcustom.jpg.bef47dfd7c4519988fac687aa4e2cd29.jpg vs RayTraylor94.jpg.7a2bd6eebdfa25369f32e67cd826fc91.jpg

It is for sure an Armstrong night tonight on Nitro and Brad was hoping to turn the fortune around for the family. He had a tough task taking on someone like Big Bubba though. Both were evenly matched in the ring and Armstrong surprised everyone when he kept toe to toe with the former corrections officer. Brad got the win at 9:37 after hitting the Russian Legsweep, celebrating like he won the world title.

Winner: Brad Armstrong

Rating: 64

EddieGuerrero5.jpg.c288b9d30b1ce6997f70b97d80764d5b.jpgRickySteamboat92.jpg.6cc72e13ea9a9725e8610eaefb9027bf.jpg

Back from a quick break and Eddie Guerrero and Ricky Steamboat are backstage in a verbal argument. They continue to jaw at one another before a few officials come into the scene to separate the two men, who still continue to verbally berate the other. They walk off with the hopes of intimidating the other ahead of their Fall Brawl match.

Rating: 82

Hugh Morrus vs Scott Steiner

HughMorrus.jpg.12752e646b632bf9c5639a2d4809a6d3.jpg vs ScottSteiner.jpg.eaa4c8b833cc35053b3c0bff2608a19b.jpg

Scott Steiner was in prime form tonight ahead of Fall Brawl and tossed Morrus around like he was a lightweight. Steiner didn't let up a bit as he dominated Morrus and picked up the win at 7:32 after a FrankenSteiner.

Winner: Scott Steiner

Rating: 77

RicFlair8.jpg.8f1122d6e1d595cacf7a0d7b88858959.jpgArnAnderson1.jpg.df6519b6a1c236babbd11adf55e11d6b.jpg

After a few moments to reset, the sound of trumpets slowly begin to fill the arena. The theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey plays and the sold out crowd in Winston-Salem immediately jump to their feet in a roar. The cheer gets even louder as the Nature Boy and the Enforcer walk out onto the stage. Flair takes a minute to look out at the capacity crowd before both walk to the ring. As they get in, Mean Gene is also climbing in the ring. After looking out for a few moments, the music fades off and business kicks off.

Mean Gene: Nature Boy, you and the Enforcer are out here for one reason, and I think we all know what that reason is! On Saturday Night, you demanded that Sting appear here tonight, as he hasn't been seen since Road Wild! You also said that if he fails to appear here tonight, then you will find a new partner for War Games. It's getting late in the evening, Nature Boy, and so far Sting hasn't appeared.

Flair: Gene, you know as well as anyone that Ric Flair is a man of his word! I've said for the past 2 weeks that Sting needs to walk down that aisle, step into this ring, look me in the eye and tell me that he's with the Nature Boy!

I've allowed Lex Luger to come out here and speak on Sting's behalf. I've allowed Lex Luger to step in the spot for War Games after our own Horsemen failed to step up to the plate....Now an ex-Horseman, let me just make that clear....And I've done all that I can in good faith to let Sting join us for War Games! The only problem is, the Stinger can't make it a point to show up to work for a month, so now we're left wondering just where in the hell he stands!

So right now, Lex Luger, I told you Saturday Night that Sting better be here.....Well it looks to me that we've got a few issues to iron out! So what I want right now is the Total Package to walk out here right now and tell me why his supposed best friend can't stand up to his own deal!

LexLuger96.jpg.2ef9889d62bdefa452f9c02278c08316.jpg 

It doesn't take long before Lex Luger walks out onto the stage and heads to the ring. Luger makes his walk to the ring with no music and clearly frustrated. After climbing through the ropes, Luger approaches Anderson and Flair and begins to make his case.

Luger: Nature Boy, you know, and Arn Anderson, you know as well, that I've come out here the last few weeks and tried to be a man of reason! I've come out here in good faith and in the name and well-being of WCW, and despite a long history of problems we've all had with one another, I recognized that WCW needs it's very best to go toe-to-toe with the NWO inside War Games! I'm able to admit, Nature Boy, that you and Arn Anderson are two of the pillars of WCW just like the Stinger is a pillar of WCW, and even the Total Package is becoming a pillar of WCW!

Now Sting is my best friend, Ric Flair, and to be completely honest with you, I don't know where the Stinger is! I haven't seen him, I haven't spoken to him, and he hasn't returned my calls. I've come out here the last few weeks and spoken for the Stinger because I've known him for a long time and I know he just relishes the opportunity to step into the ring against the NWO at War Games and get some much needed payback! I know he'd be willing to set aside differences with you and the Enforcer for the good of WCW! How do I know that?!?! Because Sting is the most stand-up guy you or I have ever known, and you know it! So, Nature Boy, I know you demanded Sting be out here tonight and tell you himself straight to your face that he's with you, but I just don't know where he is.

Flair: Well then it seems to me, Lex Luger, that we've got a major problem that we've got to deal with. Somewhere down the line, we had a breakdown of commu-----

- Flair is cut off as the NWO music begins to blare from the speakers. Flair immediately gets wide-eyed as he turns his attention to the stage where lights are flashing and someone appears through the fog. -

BrianPillman8.jpg.7e0d66bed4caea3b3572632ac7bd2c16.jpg

Pillman: Oh man.....Oh man! I'm so incredibly, deeply sorry to break up this great, wonderful meeting that's going on there in that ring, but I just couldn't help but come out here and tell you all just how emotional it is! Look at the three of you standing there, relying and putting the very well-being of WCW on Sting! All three of you just so completely uneasy about where, oh where, is Sting?!?!

Well let me tell you all that you needn't look very far, because as a matter of fact, Sting IS at this arena tonight and it just so happens that I know exactly where the Stinger is.....

But there's just one problem that we have here........It is true that Sting will be participating in War Games this Sunday, but I'm afraid that I've got to break some bad news, and a few hearts along the way...

Sting will be participating in War Games, but he's teaming with the NWO, not with the three of you pathetic morons who stand in the ring! How do I know this???? Because Sting's outside in the limo and he's been finalizing his deal inside that limo with the NWO Heavyweight Champion! As a matter of fact, they're probably celebrating right now over a bottle or two of champagne!

HAHAHAH!

- Flair, livid at the news, explodes out of the ring. Brian Pillman see's this well ahead of time and makes his exit from the stage. Nitro fades out to a commercial with a stunned commentary booth and Ric Flair rushing off the side to the backstage area as Nitro fades out to another break. -

Rating: 93

GeneOkerlund6.jpg.adc0fbba7ca24fd0ba88f3eb53a117f7.jpg

BookerT4.jpg.065255f54d088044ba1b8e7e560b8bea.jpgStevieRay4.jpg.0cb885553f5c6f85672f582aa331e27b.jpg

After the break, Mean Gene is backstage with Harlem Heat and Sensuous Sherri. They talk about their big opportunity coming up to reclaim their tag team titles tonight. Booker says it's a mistake for the Outsiders to push off Harlem Heat like they're a piece of trash on the side of the street but they're fine with being the underdogs. It'll make it all that much sweeter when they get their gold back. Booker also says after they beat the Outsiders tonight and if Ric Flair still needs a replacement for Sting, the Nature Boy doesn't have to look far.

Rating: 78

Tag Team Titles:

Harlem Heat vs The Outsiders (c)

BookerT4.jpg.065255f54d088044ba1b8e7e560b8bea.jpgStevieRay4.jpg.0cb885553f5c6f85672f582aa331e27b.jpg vs ScottHall11.jpg.51e0d6d828fcc0874ab4a59deb09a540.jpgKevinNash9.jpg.6b1302f9fbfa0a134dbcb9fade510e8e.jpg

The crowd was electric for this match and firmly behind Harlem Heat. The Outsiders took their time locking up with the Heat as Scott Hall and Booker T started things off. Hall took his time to flick his toothpick in Booker's face which promptly resulted in a Booker T slap across Scott Hall's face. After rubbing the side of his face for a moment, Scott Hall tagged in Kevin Nash and told Booker he's in big trouble now! Nash faked Booker out with a lockup as he met him with a lifting knee to the gut. Nash cut off Booker from there and put him in the NWO corner for some abuse. Each time the referee would shove Nash off and threaten a 5-count DQ, Scott Hall would take the opportunity to choke Booker. After three times of this happening, Stevie Ray rushed in, having enough of the double teaming. All hell broke loose from this point forward in the match. A wild brawl ensued and both teams took to clubbing the other. Brian Pillman made his way down to the ring during the chaos and held the top rope down as Booker tried rushing the ropes for an attack. This caused Booker to tumble over the top rope to the floor and the Outsiders started double teaming Stevie Ray. The referee tried to break it up and with his focus in the ring, Pillman attacked Booker T on the floor. After Stevie was knocked down and the referee was able to get Scott Hall back in his corner, he saw Booker on the floor and began the count. Booker wasn't able to recover before the referee reached the 10 count and counted Harlem Heat out at 13:18.

Winners by Count-out: The Outsiders

- After the bell and the Outsiders cheap celebration, cameras go to the announce booth where they begin to wrap up the night and discuss Fall Brawl. All are stunned over Pillman's announcement regarding Sting but Dusty Rhodes cautions that no opinions should be given until we hear directly from Sting himself. Tony holds his hand to his headset and says there's activity going on out back and they're getting cameras there.

LexLuger96.jpg.2ef9889d62bdefa452f9c02278c08316.jpg

The cameras transition to the backstage area by the limo and Lex Luger is approaching it. He knocks on the windows and tries to open the door, which is locked. There's no response coming from the limo which causes a frustrated Luger to kick the door before he's approached by someone.....

HulkHogan11.jpg.d3ed77a86bd749366a3b05f85892c6ae.jpg

Hollywood Hogan gets Luger's attention, who now begins to walk toward Hogan, threatening a confrontation and starting War Games early. As Luger approaches Hogan and leaves the limo behind him, he doesn't see the door start to open and a figure step out.....

Sting962.jpg.b40ef2641f34e270e51f22e46f1aa66d.jpg

Luger turns as Hogan points behind him and he looks on, confused as Sting is standing in front of him. Luger asks what he's doing as a swift kick is delivered to Luger's gut, doubling him over...

Nitro16.png.aae49fe45842070172679dae9f130805.png

Sting starts clubbing forearms across Luger's back as he falls to the ground. Luger is on the ground as Hogan joins in with kicking Luger as he's helpless on the ground. When they think the damage is done, Hogan motions for Sting to get back in the limo, which he does and Hogan follows behind. The door closes and the limo then speeds off with the camera focusing on a downed Lex Luger as the credits roll and the screen fades to black. -

Rating: 85

Final Show Rating: 86

35 minutes ago, Henderson said:

SteveAustin96.jpg.da1d2348c949910b923de2be6074ad0f.jpg

Austin: Let me make one thing perfectly clear to anyone who might be too dumb to understand simple English. Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, the two of you fit into that very category because let me tell you just who in the hell I am! I'm Steve Austin. I ain't Stunning anymore, I'm not a nice guy, I've got a bad attitude, and I'm real real thin on my patience. The fact I was able to hold my patience with the two of you for so long is a miracle in itself! When I first joined the Horsemen, I made it a point to reestablish the Four Horsemen to be the most dominant, feared, tough as nails group that they USED to be! For awhile, we succeeded in that, but don't make any mistake that Ric Flair and Arn Anderson were key members in  that! If it weren't for myself and Brian Pillman, the Horsemen would be what they've always been - outdated and pathetic!

Ric Flair, you won that world title and then all the common sense left your brain! I said it this past weekend on Saturday Night, and I'll say it again here, I am official done with the Four Horsemen! I'm officially done with trying to resurrect a dinosaur! And I am, without a doubt, 100% done with being anyone else's whipping boy! From here on out, Steve Austin is gonna take matters into my own hands and I'm gonna do whatever I feel like doing at anyone's expense, and if you or anybody else don't like it, then I give anyone the open opportunity to do something about it! Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, if the two of you wanna go around wasting your time with the NWO, be my guest! Steve Austin will go ahead to kick people's ass and win titles, 

And THAT's the bottom line!

And there it is - WCW's version of the genesis of "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. But you can be sure that whether he wants it or not, the NWO will be targeting him at some point, so he better start watching his back if he values his health.

hotline.jpg.e6b76baa261b6bcce12e7c2fa4343c3d.jpg

Hello ladies and gentlemen and welcome to the WCW Hotline Report, I'm Mean Gene Okerlund here to bring you this week's special report with the full lineup for Fall Brawl!

World Championship Wrestling is still reeling from the apparent change in Sting to join the New World Order. That devastation continued into WCW Saturday Night where Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, and Lex Luger all appeared together and all appeared unified, though the very visible shock and disappointment was clear. All three men stated they will forego finding another partner, as that would just open the gates for someone else to turn on them at War Games. Instead, the three men will represent WCW to take on the NWO in a match very heavily favored for the NWO based on numbers. I can't say this is the smartest idea in the world as the very well-being of WCW rests in their hands, but I can certainly understand it.

Here is the lineup for Fall Brawl which will also include three matches for the TV title tournament!

WCWFallBrawl3.jpg.a2b8a086a78d2de4a4b6b9821c2d80fa.jpg

Week 4, September 1996

LIVE From Milwaukee County Stadium - Milwaukee, WI

War Games:

Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, & Lex Luger vs NWO (Hollywood Hogan, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, & Sting)

TV Title Tournament:

Mike Barton vs Earl Robert Eaton

The Amazing French Canadians vs American Males

US Title:

Scott Steiner vs Brian Pillman (c)

TV Title Tournament:

Diamond Dallas Page vs Hugh Morrus

Ricky Steamboat vs Eddie Guerrero

Dean Malenko vs Perry Saturn

Falls Count Anywhere:

Scott Norton vs Fit Finlay

War Games:

Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, & Lex Luger vs NWO (Hollywood Hogan, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, & Sting)

TV Title Tournament:

US Title:

TV Title Tournament:

Falls Count Anywhere:

19 hours ago, Henderson said:

Sting starts clubbing forearms across Luger's back as he falls to the ground. Luger is on the ground as Hogan joins in with kicking Luger as he's helpless on the ground. When they think the damage is done, Hogan motions for Sting to get back in the limo, which he does and Hogan follows behind. The door closes and the limo then speeds off with the camera focusing on a downed Lex Luger as the credits roll and the screen fades to black.

I remember the same situation from back in the day, and as IRL, we know how it'll turn out - it was a fake Sting used by the NWO to attack Luger and cause confusion, distrust and dissent with WCW's roster.

NWO (Hollywood Hogan, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, & Sting)

TV Title Tournament:

Earl Robert Eaton

American Males

US Title:

Brian Pillman (c)

TV Title Tournament:

Diamond Dallas Page

Eddie Guerrero

Dean Malenko 

Falls Count Anywhere:

Fit Finlay

WCWFallBrawl97.jpg.79f9a50844e72b7dd69efc232d3d8436.jpg

Week 4, September 1996

LIVE From Milwaukee County Stadium - Milwaukee, WI

Attendance: 53,000 (SELLOUT!)

In typical WCW fashion, Fall Brawl opens up with a great shot of the sold out arena in Milwaukee. The crowd is all excited as the camera pans around the arena. Tony Schiavone is heard welcoming everyone to this highly anticipated event where WCW will finally get their hands on the core of the NWO and look to extract some revenge, as in recent months it has been the NWO firmly in control. Tony now hopes tonight is the night for WCW to put down the NWO. Bobby Heenan doesn't see it that way, he see's the NWO only getting stronger as they've now apparently been able to get Sting to join their ranks. Sting hasn't been seen for a month and just returned this past Monday on Nitro and turned his back on his best friend - Lex Luger. Dusty Rhodes says it was something never even envisioned and unfathomable, Sting turning his back on WCW and joining the New World Order. He thinks WCW has a very tough road ahead as not only is WCW still reeling from Sting turning his back on everyone, but team WCW is also at a numbers disadvantage going into War Games with it only being Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, and Lex Luger. After their intro, there's a quick hype video showing the very birth of the NWO at Bash at the Beach to where everything currently is, culminating with Sting attacking Lex Luger this past week. Music starts to play and Fall Brawl is kicking off with its first match of the night.

Falls Count Anywhere:

ScottNorton96.jpg.a6ac9c2e126b0a894771e52fff799b37.jpg vs FitFinlay5.jpg.0d14d9cbd25facd1f1ad13658376bacf.jpg

After Norton was able to prove his toughness against Mike Barton, he went on continuing to claim to be the toughest wrestler in all of WCW. Fit Finlay was the next one to step up to the plate and challenge Norton on the "toughest man" title in WCW. This is another feud that has mostly played out on WCW Saturday Night with a few interactions on Nitro's. It wasn't a long match though both men were extremely physical with each other. They used the ability to fight anywhere to both their advantage. The fight spilled out of the ring and into the stands, which the crowd enjoyed and proved it to be a great way to open the show. Fall Brawl is typically a more physical show of the year and these two were the definition of hard-hitting. They were also very evenly matched and just when one man thought to have the advantage, the other would climb back and mount his own physical comeback. The match ended at 8:17 when Fit Finlay was able to hit his Tombstone Piledriver on the stage entrance.

Rating: 56

MikeTenay97.jpg.0cd12c7a901177f972a9f7b74668d146.jpg

RicFlair8.jpg.765ffa6019479eeb1989dbdfab01a946.jpgArnAnderson1.jpg.db3e3c64e4575d10d8d8f16b82ce1975.jpgLexLuger96.jpg.23fa0311f386f1ba67dea537a2b6d2ba.jpg

Tenay: I'm backstage here with the three men representing WCW tonight inside the steel cage and War Games; Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, and the Total Package Lex Luger. You three men have quite the uphill battle in front of you later tonight as not only are you at a numbers disadvantage, but you also have to be able to cope with Sting turning his back on you three and the whole of WCW as you stand across that ring from him later tonight.

Flair: Mike Tenay, it's no secret that myself and Sting have had numerous battles over the years. It's no secret that me, and me alone, is the person responsible for Sting making it in this sport! It's no secret that if it weren't for the Nature Boy, Sting would still be trying to figure out what he wanted to do with his life!

STING!

When you first got into wrestling, pal, you were as green as the color of my trunks! You didn't know what you wanted to do in this sport! Hell, you didn't know if you even wanted to be a wrestler! Then you got with the Nature Boy and I made a star out of you! You have nothing to be thankful for aside from the Nature Boy! All the money you've made, all the success, all the big houses, all of it! You owe it to me!

Now, as far as it goes for me......All this can be blamed on me! I made you what you are today! So because of that, it's also my responsibility why WCW is where it's at right now! Why you turned your back on your best friend, WCW, and all the little Stinger's out there! It's all my fault! If I didn't make you a superstar, then none of this would've ever happened! So tonight, I take responsibility! But don't think for one second that means the Nature Boy is gonna roll over and give up! There is no giving up! I'm going to make you regret the worst decision of your life, pal!!! And then when I'm done with that, I'm gonna make you bleed! I'm gonna make you sweat, and, BY GOD, I'M GONNA MAKE YOU PAY THE PRICE!

Anderson: Call me crazy, but I said all along that Sting couldn't be trusted. Well turns out, what I cautioned everyone on came to fruition. I'm not here to brag, I'm not here to gloat, I'm simply here to do one thing, and one thing only, and that's inflict an unbearable amount of pain on Sting and the rest of the NWO. As for you, Luger, I'm gonna tell you right now, my trust only runs so far, and son, my trust is near its end. If you even think about pulling a fast one on us like Sting did, you're gonna be in a world of hurt.......

Luger: Double A, I told you and the Nature Boy that I was with the two of you from the beginning, I'm standing by your side as we head into battle, and if I had any inkling of suspicion that Sting would turn on not only me, but WCW as a whole, I never would've stood out and proclaimed that Sting and I were on the same page. I never would've spoken for him, and I never would've demanded that we be a part of War Games. Now, I'm telling the both of you right here, straight up, you can trust me, and I have your back! Now, as far as------

There's a commotion off screen that gets everyone's attention. That attention turns into tension as Flair braces himself, Luger clinches his fists and takes a half step back, and Arn Anderson, collected as always, remains stone faced.

Sting12.jpg.545ec3582eadc3622cb42c8e7a59a84b.jpg

Sting steps in view, his back to the camera. Sting holds up his hands in attempts at peace, but he can tell by the looks on everyone's faces, they're in no mood...

Sting: Hoooolllld on, hold on! All I gotta say is, it wasn't me! It wasn't me on Monday Night, Lex!

Luger: I'll tell you what.....We got War Games coming up later tonight, I saw you, I looked you right in the face before you cheap-shotted me and Stinger.....I know it was you, I can't believe you, and I DON'T believe you!

Sting: If you can't believe me, then SO BE IT! I'll see you in awhile!

Rating: 95

DeanMalenko96.jpg.ff8454606b6732e2e51d3fc6ba7a1337.jpg vs PerrySaturn3.jpg.5885c7b9562a1944c0e82c92454f4422.jpg

While Saturn was clearly out wrestled by Dean Malenko in this match, it gave him a great opportunity to show his value to a large audience. While he might not have stood up to Malenko's technical ability in the ring, Saturn was quicker than Dean and also had some great power moves like his exploder suplex and several other suplex variations. The great equalizer in the match happened to be Malenko's manager, Francine. She was able to make her presence known several times through the match and ultimately cost Saturn the victory. After a distraction and interference, Malenko was able to roll up Saturn for the victory at 13:22.

Winner: Dean Malenko

Rating: 71

GeneOkerlund7.jpg.4d6b3db12222a39134c4ed5d11e5516b.jpg

BookerT4.jpg.9291b87747c62e7a17ac3822e1b1cf40.jpgStevieRay4.jpg.79b7f1ae8af1e86509d3ce3775d3930d.jpg

Mean Gene is backstage with Harlem Heat, who give a short and sweet interview about the Outsiders. Stevie Ray says that the Outsiders cheated their way to another win this past Monday on Nitro but that just tells them that the Outsiders can't beat Harlem Heat in a fair fight. There's no worry though because the two brothers from Harlem are used to unfair fights and if you can't beat them, join them.

Rating: 83

RickySteamboat92.jpg.09c603423ab612bed958114e8673fa85.jpg vs EddieGuerrero6.jpg.a069071d899f3d536fed00eae3b42934.jpg

Steamboat gave a short interview prior to the match saying he was going to teach some respect to Guerrero but that didn't turn out to be the case. Eddie made a point throughout the match to hit cheap shot after cheap shot and yelled out several times asking Steamboat how much more "respect" he was going to try and teach. Eddie spent a large amount of time taunting the Dragon which eventually turned around to hurt him. There were several high-flying moves from both competitors though Eddie was clearly the more agile one. After a brief comeback by Steamboat, Eddie was able to halt the momentum with a low blow. After beating the Dragon on the mat, Guerrero climbed to the top rope and hit the Frog Splash for the victory at 16:01.

Winner: Eddie Guerrero

Rating: 79

SteveAustin96.jpg.e1066f65b50a58d07c2513e4ca001c8e.jpg

Following the match, Steve Austin is backstage, alone, and ready to cut a promo as he stares confidently into the camera.

Austin: I've been backstage all day so far for Fall Brawl, looking at the board, seeing who's got a match and who doesn't, and guess what!?! Steve Austin is once again left off the board. It's almost like some sort of punishment that I don't find any value in wasting my time on the NWO and would rather forge my own path. I couldn't give a damn about the NWO and my only sole purpose right now in WCW is to beat the living hell out of Ric Flair and Arn Anderson! I spent way too much time and way too much effort in going after Lex Luger and trying to show that the Four Horsemen were a force to be reckoned with! All that was thrown out the window the second those two idiots decided to team up with Luger for War Games! That's fine.....Ric Flair, you may have been real busy leading into Fall Brawl but it looks to me that your schedule's wide open after tonight. So, Ric Flair, you better make sure your calendar is clear after tonight, because your ass is mine!

TV Title Tournament:

DDP2.jpg.7c9f01f40b334b0230e0be80da097f84.jpg vs HughMorrus.jpg.04e2221b3817b368921b80ec6025d5da.jpg

Another first round matchup for the TV title saw two very capable men have a less than stellar performance. It's not really clear what caused both men to have lackluster performances, but they have both definitely done better. Morrus used his size to his advantage but ended up missing his No Laughing Matter moonsault. This allowed DDP to hit the Diamond Cutter for the win and advance in the tournament. The final count was at 10:07.

Winner: DDP

GeneOkerlund7.jpg.4d6b3db12222a39134c4ed5d11e5516b.jpg

ScottSteiner1.jpg.0e2cf7790857f5c09b1fbac7ece0703c.jpg

Scott Steiner gives a short pre-match interview before heading out for his match. Steiner says that he dominated as Television champion and he's going to dominate as United States champion. Steiner says that he's quickly on the rise in WCW and it's only a matter of time before he gets ahold of the world title. First of all though, Steiner says that Brian Pillman is his and he's walking out of Fall Brawl the US champion.

US Title:

Scott Steiner vs Brian Pillman (c)

ScottSteiner1.jpg.0e2cf7790857f5c09b1fbac7ece0703c.jpg vs BrianPillman9.jpg.5eb7809a5c6fcaf0ffb10b4e0d7234d4.jpg

Even though the majority of the hype was surrounding War Games, this match was easily the match of the night. Steiner and Pillman matched up extremely well and their quickness and speed, matched with their physical moveset really got the crowd into it. Pillman isn't the biggest guy but he still proved that he can hit some big spots. After several minutes of Scott Steiner being in control, the crowd became distracted as someone emerged from the entrance and made their way to ringside...

HulkHogan11.jpg.3477669be72049f2e8a839d1294bac31.jpg

Hollywood Hogan made his way to ringside which also got Steiner's attention. Once Scott Steiner saw Hogan standing outside, he took the opportunity to flip Hogan off, which generated a loud cheer from the crowd. Steiner turned his attention back toward Pillman and looked to end things. As Steiner ran and bounced off the ropes, Hogan hit Steiner from behind with the world title, causing him to drop to the mat. Pillman used the opportunity to climb the top rope after he was able to recover. Pillman jumped off to hit a top rope splash and got the victory at 13:02.

Winner and STILL US Champion: Brian Pillman

Rating: 83

JacquesRougeau3.jpg.712e21d76f19b7970dfd02d1af128801.jpgCarlOulette97.jpg.de59b3ae38750896b17018295123d62c.jpg vs MarcusBagwell.jpg.97f41bdc9006c8b0c32f1a5740c65c2f.jpgScottyRiggs.jpg.0af358e48ecdab4d644bd2df94d6de1e.jpg

The crowd used this match as an opportunity to come down from the excitement from the previous match, though all men put forth their best effort. There wasn't much different in this match compared to their other matches they've had against each other. Unfortunately for the Males, some miscommunication between Bagwell and Riggs cost them the victory at 11:41, bringing their record against the French Canadians to 0-3.

Winners: Amazing French Canadians

Rating: 58

TV Title Tournament:

MikeBarton.jpg.71b389d01a59a566d454e1e587ef8b03.jpg vs BobbyEatonBB.jpg.f83030cbb719d918bf4cc1ef84bdffae.jpg

This is the final match in the TV title tournament. One thing that was looked over was the fact that this past Saturday Night showcased three other tournament matches; John Tenta beat Jim Duggan, Lance Storm beat David Taylor, and Wrath beat Brian Knobbs. Earl Eaton was looking to change the fortune of his Blue Blood partners and move on in the tournament in the hopes of keeping the TV title within the Blue Bloods. There were many who thought with Barton's recent exposure he would be successful, but Eaton proved to still be a tricky veteran. Eaton won the match at 7:37 with a neck breaker to move on!

Winner: Earl Robert Eaton

Rating: 55

HulkHogan11.jpg.3477669be72049f2e8a839d1294bac31.jpgScottHall13.jpg.fc2ecad2cdfac8a7c27b468623878ddf.jpgKevinNash9.jpg.764d4a439c43afc6d3cf0ab949725d9a.jpgBrianPillman9.jpg.5eb7809a5c6fcaf0ffb10b4e0d7234d4.jpg

The NWO are backstage and cut a pre-match promo. Hogan says that all the pieces are in place and that the NWO is continuing on their efforts to completely take over WCW and put it out of its misery. They got one step closer this past Nitro when Sting finally saw the light and decided to get on the black and white express. Kevin Nash says that while Sting is off getting ready for the big match, Brian Pillman was prepared to fight in War Games until Sting decided to join. The NWO knows that Pillman had his own grueling match earlier and would hate for him to pull double duty, so they tell him he can sit this one out. Pillman started the winning night for the NWO and it will be capped off with the NWO winning War Games and they'll let new recruit do the honor of spray painting the backs of the losers.

Rating: 95

War Games:

Team WCW vs NWO

ArnAnderson1.jpg.db3e3c64e4575d10d8d8f16b82ce1975.jpg vs ScottHall13.jpg.fc2ecad2cdfac8a7c27b468623878ddf.jpg

It's been said many times that the tension could be cut with a knife, but that was even more apparent during the introductions to this match. In usual War Games fashion, both teams are usually waiting outside the cage while the clock counts down for the next entry. Tonight, things were a bit different as the entrances were made separately. Starting things off for War Games tonight was the Enforcer and Scott Hall. Anderson came out first followed by Scott Hall, who's entries were completely randomly drawn, of course. Hall was a bit reluctant to step through the cage door and through the ropes as he didn't have the rest of the NWO out to help him just yet. Hall no sooner got through the ropes before Anderson started the attack. The crowd exploded as Anderson began his assault and didn't let up. Hall attempted to go to the second ring to escape the Enforcer, but it was no luck. Tony Schiavone said that the NWO would have the next entry into the match as the time counted down and they all speculated if it would be Sting. The time continued to count down and Arn Anderson remained firmly in control the entire time. As the time went below 10 seconds, the sold out crowd began to count along before it reached zero and the buzzer sounded, bringing the next competitor out for War Games...

KevinNash9.jpg.764d4a439c43afc6d3cf0ab949725d9a.jpg

Kevin Nash comes out and runs to the ring. The announcers all knew the NWO had this next entry though they all voiced concern when they saw it was Nash. With a face of fury and focus, Nash got to the cage door and the referee opened it. Nash wasted no time rushing in and climbing over the top rope where he went straight for the second ring. Arn Anderson continued working over Scott Hall until Nash reached him and clubbed him hard from behind. Nash was relentless and gave his partner plenty of time to recover. Nash put Anderson in the corner and began a barrage of knee lifts followed by his back elbows. Scott Hall recovered enough to join Nash in the beating of Arn Anderson, who was now finding himself on the end of a relentless attack. For the first time in the War Games match tonight, the cage was used as a weapon as the Outsiders sent the Enforcer into the cage several times. The crowd now began to get to their feet as the clock was counting down closer to WCW's turn for an entry and once again when it reached 10, the sold out crowd began counting down in unison.

LexLuger96.jpg.23fa0311f386f1ba67dea537a2b6d2ba.jpg

The buzzer sounded and Lex Luger rushes out from the entrance. The crowd cheers as Luger rushes toward the ring but again Bobby Heenan remains skeptical that he can be trusted. The question is answered as Luger enters and goes right after Kevin Nash. It almost seemed like the crowd sighed in relief as well as Luger hit repeated blows on Nash which rejuvenated the crowd's excitement. Anderson and Hall paired off while Nash and Luger paired off. Things appeared to be more even though both sides would take opportunities to double team when presented. The two minute timer continued to count down as the announce booth had heavy speculation if this next NWO entry would be Sting. The timer reached 10 seconds, the crowd counted along, and then the buzzer sounded.

HulkHogan11.jpg.3477669be72049f2e8a839d1294bac31.jpg

Hollywood Hogan comes out but doesn't seem to be in much of a hurry to get inside the cage. He walks casually toward the ring and reaches the cage door, which the referee unlocks and opens. As Hogan climbs in, he's reaching in his tights and pulls out some kind of powder. He approaches Luger and throws it in his face, blinding him and then does the same to Anderson. The NWO already had the numbers advantage and now they have an even bigger one with both Luger and Anderson blinded and being beaten. Dusty points out that the match can't end until all competitors are inside so this is nothing more than a brutal gang attack that can't be stopped. Heenan says that both the NWO and WCW are down to their final entries and we all now know that Sting will be the final entry of the night. The clock is counting down and WCW will have the next entrant and he knows that Ric Flair is wildly pacing backstage for that buzzer to sound. The NWO beatdown continues inside the cage as the Outsiders hold Luger by both arms, who's on his knees on the mat. The Outsiders hold him up as Hogan hits punch after punch. Electricity begins to fill inside the arena as the clock reaches 10 seconds. The crowd loudly count along and when the buzzer sounds, the "roof blows off the joint" according to Bobby Heenan.

RicFlair8.jpg.765ffa6019479eeb1989dbdfab01a946.jpg

The Nature Boy rushes out at lightning speed as he rushes to the ring. The official barely gets the door open as Flair reaches the cage and he rushes in. The crowd is going nuts as Flair kicks a low blow on Nash and then on Hall before he turns his attention on Hogan. The crowd get even louder as Flair grabs Hogan and begins scratching his eyes, causing Hogan to back into the corner. Flair doesn't let up a bit as he continues to rake Hogan's eyes, digging his fingers in as much as possible. Once he lets go of that, he goes in and begins biting Hogan's forehead. The crowd is wild as Flair bites into Hogan. Once he lets go, Hogan is bleeding and Flair continues the attack in the corner with punches of his own. The Enforcer was able to recover enough to get ahold of Kevin Nash and Luger was able to do the same as he turned his attention to Scott Hall. The fight was even now and WCW was firmly in control. The crowd was loving the on-going beatdown of the NWO but the clock counting down was a reminder to everyone of what lie ahead. It was a stark contrast this time as the counter reached 10 seconds. The crowd didn't count along as the seconds ticked away and when the buzzer sounded, there was almost an eerie quiet in the arena, despite it holding 53,000 fans.

Sting came out as the final entrant for the NWO. Like Hogan, he also wasn't in much of a rush to get to the ring and was casual about his purpose. After shedding his jacket, Sting climbed in the ring and began unloading on the first person he got to, which happened to be Ric Flair. Flair didn't see Sting approach as he was focused on Hollywood Hogan and as he began his attack, this caught the attention of Arn Anderson and Lex Luger, who slowly stopped their own assaults as they saw what Sting was doing to Flair. Sting delivered kicks and punches to Flair before Luger walked over to Sting and spun him around by the shoulder. After looking at Luger for a brief second, Sting sent a swift kick to the stomach of Luger, doubling him over. Arn Anderson then rushed in to try and defend Luger but Sting started the assault on the Enforcer as well. The crowd was in a hush and couldn't believe what they were witnessing as Sting continued the assault on Anderson. The rest of the NWO was now able to recover as well and restarted their own attacks. Hall, Nash, and Hogan held the three WCW team members in the corner and motioned for Sting to hit some Stinger Splashes. He did this to all three men before screaming out in his trademark yell, which was promptly returned with boo's from the sold out crowd. 

Heenan: Why is the clock counting down?! WCW doesn't have another entrant!

The crowd, and announcers, were probably too stunned to notice before now that the timer was indeed still counting down. Technically, WCW still had one final entrant, however, there were no other announced members on Team WCW. In any rate, the timer continued to count down and though the assault was still happening inside the ring, much to the dismay of the crowd, their interests were piqued when the timer reached 10. Each second ticking away closer to zero generated more wonder inside the arena and more heads turned toward the entrance. When it finally reached zero and the buzzer sounded, there was a moment when nothing happened, followed by someone rushing out into the aisle, doing nothing but creating even more confusion...

Heenan: What the-----

Tony: It's Sting!!!!!!!!!

Heenan: But Sting's already in the ring with the NWO!

The crowd begin their renewed excitement as yet another Sting emerges and sprints toward the cage. The door opens and Sting steps in and hits the first person he encounters - Scott Hall. The crowd erupts as this Sting begins his own barrage of an attack on the NWO, downing Hall, Nash, and then Hogan. Finally Sting meets Sting face to face in the middle of the ring, with the first Sting entrant stopped dead in his tracks as he's now for sure staring in the face of the real Sting. The announcers all realize they were fooled by an imposter from the NWO as the real Sting begins his attack on the fake Sting. The crowd once again is going crazy as the real Sting's moves are unmistaken. Sting sends the fake into the corner before he rushes in with a Stinger Splash of his own. The real Sting decimates the entire NWO group inside the steel cage and in the process, team members of WCW start to come to and see what's taking place in the ring. Flair, Anderson, and Luger all are frozen still in shock as they see the real Sting attacking all of the NWO members, complete with seeing the imposter down in the corner and beaten. After all are beaten down, Sting turns Luger toward him and yells

Sting: IS THAT PROOF ENOUGH FOR YOU!?

With the NWO beaten down all at the hands of one man, Sting turns and exits the ring just as abruptly as he entered it. Sting heads back up the aisle and exits the arena, leaving a shocked team WCW standing in the ring. The shock of the moment allowed the NWO to recover as they still have the numbers advantage. The Outsiders and fake Sting take turns beating down all three members of WCW, followed up with Hollywood Hogan hitting multiple Leg Drops on all three. They then tell the fake Sting to lock the Scorpion Deathlock on Lex Luger, who is clearly too beaten to continue. The referee calls the bell as Luger's unresponsive, officially marking the win for the NWO at 20:42.

Winners: NWO

Rating: 78

The bell sounds but the fight doesn't end after that. "Sting" releases the Deathlock on Luger but the NWO make good on their promise to leave the members of WCW beaten on the mat and getting spray painted. The NWO take their time taunting the crowd as Luger, Anderson, and Flair all receive the letters N.W.O. sprayed on their bodies. The gloating and taunting continues as the credits for Fall Brawl appear on the screen and the picture fades to black.

Rating: 86

Final Show Rating: 74

• Like 3

WCWMondayNitro2.jpg.acf790cc8884db19bf2e9d7226a2a427.jpg

Week 1, October 1996

LIVE from Freedom Hall - Louisville, KY

Attendance: 17,723

Monday Nitro opens this week with an aura of darkness. The usual Monday Nitro intro video plays but when it finishes, cameras go straight to the announce booth where Tony Schiavone, Bobby Heenan, and Mike Tenay welcome everyone for joining in. Tony says that just 24 hours ago at Fall Brawl, things were set straight, Sting was an innocent man, and no one believed him, including himself. Tony says it was a dark night for WCW as not only did so many people doubt Sting, but the NWO prevailed at the end of War Games. Bobby Heenan says that he never once doubted Sting and Tony and the rest of WCW should be ashamed of themselves. Both Tenay and Schiavone had to roll their eyes at the abrupt backtracking from "The Brain." Tony says it was a fake Sting that attacked Lex Luger and it was a fake Sting that emerged last night and fooled so many people. Sting showed up to take out the NWO but rather than finish the match and score the victory for WCW, Sting walked out, leaving Team WCW stunned. It allowed the NWO to sneak attack and score the win. No one knows what's in store for WCW now that the NWO continues to gain in power each week. Not only that, but----

Sting.thumb.jpg.eac6a861e8fc0de0e44b7aa33c4579ec.jpg

Sting abruptly walks out without any announcement or theme music. The crowd tonight is mostly subdued and interested in what Sting is going to do. Tony says that there's no doubt that this is the real Sting as he heads to the ring and gets a microphone.

Sting: I want a chance to explain something that happened last Monday night at Nitro!

Last Monday Night, I was on an airplane flying from LA to Atlanta; when I got to Atlanta, I tuned into TV to Nitro, and I thought I was watching a rerun! It was a very convincing film.....

Often imitated but never duplicated though!!!

And what else did I see?!? I saw people, I saw wrestlers, I saw commentators, and I saw best friends doubt......The Stinger!

That's right! Doubted the Stinger.....So, I heard Lex Luger say "I know where he lives, I know where he works out, I'm gonna go get him! So I said to myself, "I'll just go into seclusion..." I'll wait and see what happens on Saturday Night, and I tuned in Saturday Night, and what'd I see???? I saw more of the same, more doubt! Which brings me to FALL BRAWL!

I knew I had to get to Fall Brawl to get face to face with the Total Package to let him know that it wasn't me. And what I got outta that was; No.....Sting.....I DON'T BELIEVE YOU STING!

Well all I gotta say is, I have been mediator!

I have been BABYSITTER for Lex Luger!

And I have given him the benefit of the doubt about a thousand times in the last 12 months.

And I've carried the WCW banner, and I have given my blood, my sweat, and my TEARS for WCW!

So for all of those fans out there, all those wrestlers, and people that never doubted the Stinger....I'll stand by YOU, if you stand by ME!

BUT!

But, for all of the people, all of the commentators, and all of the best friends who did doubt me, you can STICK it!

From now on, I consider myself a Free Agent. But that doesn't mean you won't see the Stinger.....From time to time, I'm gonna pop in when you least.....Expect it.

TV Title Tournament:

Brad Armstrong vs Dean Malenko

BradArmstrongcustom.jpg.b914b01cbfb2417a7b010f3ea3c5d476.jpg vs DeanMalenko97.jpg.81cd880e182e6aea5c0af4ad5008eba1.jpg

WCW took a quick break after Sting's impromptu promo and when Nitro returned, the commentators were still reeling. As such, much of their focus wasn't on this second round match of the TV title tournament. It was a solid opening match for Nitro and Armstrong continued to do his best to prove his worthy of competing in bigger matches. The issue was, Armstrong had to also contend with Malenko's manager, Francine. She found a way to get involved at every opportunity. Dean would distract the referee repeatedly to allow Francine to get cheap shots in on Armstrong. When it looked like Brad was going to overcome the odds, Malenko locked in the Texas Cloverleaf, getting the submission win at 13:26 and moving on to the 3rd round.

Winner: Dean Malenko

Rating: 75

GeneOkerlund6.jpg.aba177f38bb081fe95908376a5715f91.jpg

ScottSteiner91Alt.jpg.f5a06ebf2e8b5cedac71e550c7b0c330.jpg

Mean Gene: Ladies and gentlemen, we are fresh off the heels of Fall Brawl and getting into Nitro here tonight, we have plenty to digest! Here with me at this time is a man who competed last night against Brian Pillman for the United States championship, a man who fell short of claiming that title, not due to deeds of his own, but rather due to the NWO, and mainly Hollywood Hogan, helping out Brian Pillman. Scott Steiner, I'm sure you have a few things to address after last night!

Steiner: That's one hell of an understatement, Mean Gene! Last night, I did what I said I was gonna do, and that's beat the crap out of Brian Pillman! The only thing I didn't do was beat Pillman for the US title! But Gene, everybody knows that it wasn't because Pillman was the better man last night! If it weren't for Hollywood Hogan, you'd be looking at a new United States champion right now! Well Hogan! I ain't afraid of you and you barked up the wrong tree, my man! You wanted to get in my business last night when you saw your fellow NWO member was gonna lose, and lose bad! So Hogan, if you wanna get in my business, I'm gonna get in your business! Hogan! I'm calling you out right now to put that title of yours on the line for Halloween Havoc! If you're a real man, Hogan, you'll accept my challenge and then you can count your days as world champion down!

Wrath vs Chavo Guerrero Jr.

BryanClark3.jpg.68c1c4dec70572cd8bc1345f34c88ee4.jpg vs ChavoGuerreroJr1.jpg.270004800778ca8b9560b9b9f61ced16.jpg

Poor Chavo. This was another match where he takes on Wrath and another match that he gets dismantled. Wrath won at 7:18 with the Meltdown.

Rating: 57

DDP.jpg.2061bb2c34016f2a1e4a10d8c5077c08.jpg

DDP cuts a promo where he hypes up the Television title tournament and the fact that next week on Nitro, he will face Earl Robert Eaton. He says that Eaton will feel the bang next week!

Rating: 90

RickySteamboat92.jpg.a1281b852fae7733df1b453099f277a9.jpgBookerT1.jpg.cce31d9df503ddb617ce8c5d2914f9b7.jpgStevieRay1.jpg.fabdfb0a1e5c910e24282c644d21be79.jpg

Mean Gene is backstage with Ricky Steamboat and Harlem Heat. Gene lets everyone know that the Dragon is teaming with Harlem Heat next up in a 3 vs 3 tag team match and also asks Steamboat about his match last night against Eddie Guerrero. Steamboat says if Eddie is happy with himself having to cheat to win, then so be it. In either case, he isn't yet finished with Eddie and the match up next will be another way for the Dragon to get back at him. Harlem Heat says that tonight they team up with Steamboat and they're still on the path to reclaim their tag titles. The Outsiders have avoided Harlem Heat long enough and time is running out for them.

Eddie Guerrero & Faces of Fear vs Ricky Steamboat & Harlem Heat

EddieGuerrero6.jpg.e4bc8643e2e3bfd8a6d16955cbb3399f.jpgMeng5.jpg.774a40ec47a08379add31b1c56c8cdbb.jpgTheBarbarian3.jpg.c303203d9d6aee5abdd3fdb877573bc8.jpg vs RickySteamboat92.jpg.a1281b852fae7733df1b453099f277a9.jpgBookerT1.jpg.cce31d9df503ddb617ce8c5d2914f9b7.jpgStevieRay1.jpg.fabdfb0a1e5c910e24282c644d21be79.jpg

Despite the odd pairings, mostly for Eddie and the Faces of Fear, the crowd was actually pretty into this. Eddie gave an exceptional performance which probably helped the match quite a bit but all competitors really brought their A-game to this match. Eddie spent most of the match trying to avoid Steamboat and the crowd went wild when he was finally able to get his hands on him. The match ended at 13:09 when Eddie, having enough, walked to the back and got himself counted out.

Winners by Count-out: Steamboat & Harlem Heat

Rating: 79

LexLuger96.jpg.b14801046eb661bf2a167b3507d5c6c4.jpg

Mean Gene: Ladies and gentlemen, WCW Monday Nitro continues and with me now is a man who competed last night in War Games, and a man who probably has several mixed emotions right now; the Total Package Lex Luger.

Luger: You know, Mean Gene, for someone who has had a long and storied career such as myself, I should've been able to realize when the wool was being pulled over my eyes. Sting always stood up for what was right and Sting always put the very foundation of WCW squarely on his shoulders!

Stinger! I should've trusted you, I never should've doubted you, and from the bottom of my heart, I'm sorry! What you said is 100% the truth! I haven't always been such a great friend to you but you've always stood by my side through thick and thin! You've given me the benefit of the doubt more than I deserved and I should've at least given you that same respect! Gene, if there's one thing I'm not going to give up on, is trying to express how sorry I am for not trusting Sting.

Rating: 89

Steve Keirn vs Fit Finlay

SteveKeirn2.jpg.d8eb29fd34220b7dcbb56bcc220a5540.jpg vs FitFinlay5.jpg.7093b96b77c9a5dfefc95231409bc5de.jpg

Steve Keirn might best be known for the role of "Skinner." Fit Finlay didn't really care what Keirn is known for, he just wanted to get some momentum recovered. He was able to do this in convincing fashion by hitting the Tombstone for the win at 7:35.

Rating: 47

Hugh Morrus vs Brian Knobbs

HughMorrus.jpg.d2eb2c9bda9bf3dd7f7974f8ae7a94fc.jpg vs BrianKnobbs4.jpg.cfe85333d9ba99ef493402aefe1d952f.jpg

Not a very impressive match and the crowd really didn't care much about it. Hugh Morrus picked up the win at 8:30 after hitting the No Laughing Matter moonsault.

Winner: Hugh Morrus

Rating: 58

HollywoodHogan.jpg.b25dd02c227ef35457a541d898f45a5c.jpg

Hogan: Well ya know something, my fellow NWOites?!?!? The physical force that is the NWO just keep steamrolling over anyone who wants to get in the path of the train, brother! Even after WCW turned its back on Sting, he still couldn't use his brain enough to officially join the NWO, so we had to go out and find an even better Sting! Now some other little chump wants to start throwing Hollywood's name around and call me out! Scott Steiner, you're nothing but a little pebble on the bottom of my boot, brother! You have the gall to call me out and challenge me for the NWO heavyweight title when you haven't even made anything of yourself! Well you just happened to catch Hollywood in a very giving mood, my man! Just because things have been going the NWO's way has me feeling generous! You want a match against me at Halloween Havoc?!? Well if you have a death wish, then I'll be more than happy to help you out with that! At Halloween Havoc, you're gonna fall victim to your own stupidity!

Tag Team Titles:

Lex Luger & Arn Anderson vs The Outsiders (c)

LexLuger96.jpg.b14801046eb661bf2a167b3507d5c6c4.jpgArnAnderson1.jpg.0f7a0a1f6be41bbe27c00e92965dbcf0.jpg vs ScottHall5.jpg.ac68b7217abd1eb34bebce12e7acbe5b.jpgKevinNash17.jpg.d9ac76c99b47db7d0cf2ffbdc817947e.jpg

Demeanors between competitors couldn't be any different. The Outsiders were joking and all fun and games while Lex Luger and Arn Anderson were focused and clearly not interested in joking around. The announcers thought this was an odd pairing but figured with both men teaming last night at War Games, their alliance could continue for one more day. All men were giving an excellent performance and the crowd was eating everything up. Every time Hall and Nash tried toying with Luger and Anderson, they put them in their place with hard hitting moves. When Luger was the legal man, it looked like he was getting ready to wrap up the match. He hit his signature clotheslines and prepared for the forearm smash. He turned only to meet Kevin Nash, who hit him over the head with the tag team title belt. The referee, of course, didn't see this as he was distracted. Hall took the opportunity to hit the Outsider's Edge while Nash took out Anderson on the apron. The referee counted the pin and the match was over at 12:20, resulting in yet another WCW loss to the NWO.

Winners: The Outsiders

Rating: 80

BrianPillman8.jpg.5f70231ac63115b457abb134d0ea5dc8.jpg

In typical post-match NWO fashion, things are far from over. The bell rings but Brian Pillman makes his way down to the ring and the NWO beat-down commences. It isn't long into the attack, though, when the crowd suddenly roars to life. The cameras switch to catch who's at full sprint toward the ring...

RicFlair8.jpg.3b5333fba3cc7979fcce12d009561bf6.jpg

Ric Flair slides in the ring and immediately goes after Brian Pillman. The crowd go absolutely crazy as Flair hits rapid-fire punches to Pillman. Scott Hall comes over to try and help but Flair furiously attacks Hall. The crowd loves every second as Luger and Anderson start to recover and mount their own attacks. The NWO is finally reeling as Team WCW give life to their defense. The cheers slowly start to change to boo's though, as more people emerge from the entrance.

HollywoodHogan.jpg.b25dd02c227ef35457a541d898f45a5c.jpgnWoSting96.jpg.691259db452e016bb9353bffc23be952.jpg

Hollywood Hogan comes out with the newest NWO member, though this time the announcers are positive that this isn't the real Sting. Both men walk toward the ring as Hogan taunts out to anyone who's paying attention. Once they get in the ring, Hogan uses the world title belt to attack the WCW defenders. All three men take a beating at the hands of the NWO and Ric Flair gets the worst beating out of them all. "Sting" hits several Stinger Splashes on all three men and then the spray paint makes its appearance. Nitro fades out as Arn Anderson, Lex Luger, and Ric Flair all once again get "NWO" spray painted on their backs as they're sprawled out on the ring mat, beaten. The announcers are heard asking where the real Sting is as the cameras go to black.

Rating: 91

Final Show Rating: 78

• Like 5

WCWMondayNitro2.jpg.75e8c33658a6bf1d599725bc8bfe94b5.jpg

Week 2, October 1996

LIVE from the North Sydney Community Forum - North Sydney, Nova Scotia

Attendance: 1,602

- Nitro opens this week after the intro video and goes straight into a scrambled video package from last week's Monday Nitro where Sting declared himself a free agent. The video features several moments involving Sting during the war with the NWO thus far, culminating to Fall Brawl where Sting destroys the NWO in War Games before walking out. This is all done with Sting's voiceover promo from last Monday night. The video ends and the arena is shown. It's a noticeably smaller crowd as Tony says WCW has branched out to Canada and there is a heavy aura of doom in the air as the announce team all discuss Sting's declaration of being a free agent and what that means, particularly, for WCW. Bobby Heenan says that Sting's been torn apart from the inside out, that his own best friend didn't believe or trust him and he's now broken. No one but Sting knows what this means for WCW as he's in the driver's seat. Schiavone says that WCW has a great opportunity to regain some lost momentum from Fall Brawl because tonight there are two title matches; The Faces of Fear will take on the Outsiders for the titles and in tonight's main event, Scott Steiner will try and capture the United States title from Brian Pillman. Tony also says the TV title tournament continues here tonight and it starts off with the first match tonight!

TV Title Tournament:

Wrath vs Lance Storm

BryanClark3.jpg.3b0720e0c6e3d4e2d28ae5eaa730880b.jpg vs LanceStorm.jpg.bdd6e5b437c843341f69db5db8a66431.jpg

Wrath's recent matches have not been very long and he has dominated throughout. While Wrath still brought a massive display of power to this match, Lance Storm impressed with his own ability to match up with speed and also his own strength. Storm made a huge mistake though when he attempted one too many high-flying moves. As Storm leapt off the top rope for a splash, Wrath caught him in mid air and slammed him down hard to the canvas. The only thing left to do now was hit the Meltdown, which he did, scoring the win and moving on in the tournament at 9:59.

Rating: 49

SteveAustin962.jpg.37e690915510e2135cb1e0aec494d679.jpg

Steve Austin is backstage in a black back drop and glares into the camera. It's clear he's ready for a promo and begins when the person off camera gives him his cue that it's ready to go.

Austin: Nature Boy Ric Flair, it seems to me that your schedule is wide open right now and after seeing an utterly embarrassing effort from you at Fall Brawl, I shouldn't stoop so low to share a ring with you! As a matter of fact, if I wanted to move on and not waste any more time on you or Arn Anderson, it'd probably be better for my own career! But that ain't the way Steve Austin goes about doing business! Nuh Uh! See, Ric Flair, the fact of the matter is, you went ahead and pissed me off! So like any other man, I ain't just gonna let that go and move on.....What I'm gonna do, Ric Flair, is make you regret that you ever got side tracked with that little NWO feud of yours and took your eye off the real prize! I'm gonna make you regret that you took Steve Austin for granted! It seems to me, Nature Boy, that every ounce of sense you used to have has been lost! Well if it takes me beating that sense back into you, then that's exactly what I'll do, and I ain't got any problem in doing it! Save the date, Ric Flair, and I don't wanna hear no excuses, because at Halloween Havoc, I'm gonna beat you to within an inch of your pathetic little life! And that's the bottom line!

Tag Team Titles:

The Faces of Fear vs The Outsiders (c)

Meng6.jpg.eaed1e8aeb7f848730d247eaead3c434.jpgTheBarbarian3.jpg.b3b2d459ef8dc2dfaaabaa0aea377794.jpg vs ScottHall11.jpg.bfd0e3ec3bbbeb6abbc79cddc3467af7.jpgKevinNash97.jpg.d19b5949bc35b798ce0ebdfd61a8d715.jpg

Normally these two teams are tearing up their matches and have really gotten the fans into their work but this match did not work out. Both teams could not get coordinated with one another and several moves were botched. The Barbarian had a particularly bad match and while Hall and Nash had solid performances, they couldn't salvage the match. Nash got the pin at 8:17 with a Powerbomb.

Winners: The Outsiders

Rating: 67

EddieGuerrero6.jpg.4adafb349353803e999e1b13e0b64452.jpgRickySteamboat92.jpg.b24e245a731d2c0cacb0b4d88cbdebaf.jpg

After returning from a commercial break, cameras are in a hallway backstage where Eddie Guerrero and Ricky Steamboat are in the midst of a chaotic brawl. Both men are clubbing blows to the other and neither is establishing dominance over the other before a group of official rush in to separate the two. They're clearly on a path toward a match and Halloween Havoc just happens to be around the corner.....

GeneOkerlund6.jpg.8b15e824522673da75823aeebee77fe9.jpg 

Mean Gene: Ladies and gentlemen, we're LIVE in Nova Scotia, Canada and we have a big night still ahead! Joining me right now is a man who has had a whole lot of mixed emotions over the last couple of weeks, please welcome the Total Package, Lex Luger!

LexLuger96.jpg.c3a92b59a7abfacc32643b22e3c74499.jpg

Mr. Luger, last week, we finally heard from Sting and he had a lot to say about the events of the last couple of weeks, in particular, mentioning you AND indicating that you could...Stick it....

Luger: You know, Mean Gene, if there's anyone who should be sorry for what's occurred over the last couple of weeks, it shouldn't be Sting, it should be myself. We all know that the NWO is willing to stoop to the lowest levels possible in order to gain an advantage, and I fell for it hook, line, and sinker! Now I could come out here and give you a long list of excuses, but that doesn't change the facts that I screwed up! Stinger! I said it last week, and I'm saying it again here tonight; I'm sorry! I should've trusted you! After all we've been through together, I know you better than that! It was a stupid thing for me to think you'd join the NWO and I need you back standing by my side to take on the NWO! I have no doubt that the two of us together can take them out for good! Sting, I know you're probably not going to come out here tonight and accept my apology, so I'm just going to have to prove to you each week that I'm sorry! You know where to find me, you have my number, and whatever it takes, I'll redeem myself one way or another!

Mean Gene: We'll all have to wait and see, Lex Luger, but I think we can all safely assume that Sting is not here tonight.

Dirty Dick Slater vs Fit Finlay

DickSlater2.jpg.5bc3c9ade034b91e7f1ac7a51d677937.jpg vs FitFinlay5.jpg.8cbd09276b67d69d585bd7c29708f866.jpg

It's been awhile since we last saw Slater on Nitro. August, as a matter of fact where he teamed with Bunkhouse Buck in a losing effort against the American Males. The crowd couldn't have cared less, though. Both men had an equal performance in the ring, believe it or not, but Finlay got the win at 6:11 with the Tombstone.

Rating: 48

DeanMalenko4.jpg.86c0ab8f38fd416494c731472529ab4f.jpgFrancine.jpg.73df02326e02d8508a431050567aca07.jpg

We go backstage where Dean Malenko is standing with his manager, Francine, who looks full of New York attitude before she begins.

Francine: Let me explain something to all of you people in that arena and watching at home right now, you are looking at Dean Malenko, the next, most dominant Television champion in WCW history. It just so happens that he also has the best manager known in the wrestling business! It doesn't matter who Dean-baby needs to beat in this stupid little tournament that WCW put on, he's gonna run through the "competition" before the ink even dries on the contracts! Last Monday he finished off that joke named Brad Armstrong and his next match will be just the same. If he needs to cash in his......Insurance policy to assure that, then he'll do it;

BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!

Rating: 37

TV Title Tournament:

Earl Robert Eaton vs Diamond Dallas Page

BobbyEaton3.jpg.4e21cf3c383d1e33b9ec8b73d3ac24ac.jpg vs DDP2.jpg.221a915695a5f7a30cbd1b17a34b827d.jpg

The second round of the TV title tournament continues with this match. It began pretty slow and the crowd weren't much into it. Things drastically changed halfway through though. Both competitors put on a heck of a performance and ended up getting the crowd feeding into the match as a grueling back and forth battle ensued and several near falls. The announcers even started commenting on Eaton's performance and calling back to his days as "Beautiful Bobby" and his tag team dominance. On the other hand, they complimented DDP's ability and the fact he continues to be a standout star in WCW with a very bright future. The crowd were on their feet when Eaton went for his top rope legdrop but Page managed to get out of the way. A Diamond Cutter later ended it at 14:10 and paved the way for DDP to enter round 3.

Rating: 71

GeneOkerlund6.jpg.8b15e824522673da75823aeebee77fe9.jpg

Mean Gene is backstage in the interview area following another commercial break. He announces that his next guest is the Nature Boy Ric Flair. Mean Gene tells Flair that Steve Austin had some comments and a challenge for him for Halloween Havoc and wanted his thoughts and if he would be responding to the challenge.

RicFlair8.jpg.54d1ac25c32854b1eab9297d9a8f7ba3.jpg

Flair: My thoughts?!? You want my thoughts on Steve Austin!? Let me see if I can condense them all down into this interview for you, ok Gene? Steve Austin is nothing more than a punk. A PUNK! He couldn't hack it as a Horseman because he's a victim of his own hype! Steve Austin thought he was bigger than the Horsemen and he's not! HE'S NOT! In fact, Austin isn't even capable of carrying around Ric Flair's jockstrap, let alone facing me in a match! Myself and Double A tried to show Steve Austin the way in WCW! We spent so much time and effort trying to mold him and Brian Pillman! Austin didn't wanna be molded, he wanted to do what he wanted to do! Austin has no idea how to be a team player and that's why he had a problem in going after the NWO! It wasn't about the Horsemen, it was about Austin!! It was about Austin because that's all he is, a selfish punk! So if Austin wants a piece of the Nature Boy, then he's just gonna have to get in line, daddy, because the Nature Boy is far from finished with Hulk Hogan and the NWO!

WOOOOO!

Jacques Rougeau vs Arn Anderson

JacquesRougeau972.jpg.ad8b8a93fb0ef27fde3194d933c6c10b.jpg vs ArnAnderson1.jpg.fbe705f86e27d1c4cd0a151915180ac8.jpg

This was somewhat of a homecoming for Rougeau, who's hometown isn't far away in another province, Quebec. As a result, Rougeau got a pretty good reaction from the crowd and he enjoyed playing up to the crowd. This resulted in the Enforcer, who was accompanied to the ring by the Nature Boy, to play the part of the heel and hit some dirty cheap shots. Double A had an exceptional performance and ended up hitting his signature Spinebuster followed by the Double A DDT for the win at 7:46.

Winner: Arn Anderson

Rating: 80

SteveAustin962.jpg.37e690915510e2135cb1e0aec494d679.jpg

After the bell rang, the crowd jumped to their feet as Steve Austin ran out and dove in the ring. He wasted no time getting to his feet and going full-on assault mode on Ric Flair. Flair didn't back down himself as the two went at it. With the crowd electric, Arn Anderson also jumped in the mix but it was more of an effort to separate the two. Austin, having none of it, wasted no time and hit a low blow on the Enforcer, dropping him to his knees before continuing the attack on Flair. Austin may have forgotten that he was trying to get the jump on the dirtiest player in the game, though, because Flair hit his own low blow on Austin. This resulted in Austin bailing from the ring and retreating up the aisle as Flair and Anderson regrouped in the ring.

Rating: 94

United States Title:

ScottSteiner91Alt.jpg.880bb268ebebbca4c1f05c223153c326.jpg vs BrianPillman8.jpg.c8094b70510d160e090af20aea80db1e.jpg

Ordinarily, this would be an extremely competitive matchup featuring two very capable workers who can handle a variety of styles in the ring. While this remained true, Scott Steiner had to worry about the company that Pillman had with him to the ring, which was in the form of the tag team champions Outsiders and the World Heavyweight Champion Hollywood Hogan. The NWO was bringing out all the heavy hitters in this match and Steiner had to constantly look over his shoulder at every turn. The NWO tried relentlessly to interfere during the match. The referee let quite a bit go, seeing as how high the stakes were in this match, and trying not to fault Steiner for something he couldn't control. In addition, the referee didn't want to disqualify the NWO because it's been well established at this point to be their goal in order to hang onto their titles. Still though, it was a solid match and Scott Steiner slowly took control. After hitting a series of clotheslines and suplexes, Steiner put Pillman in the corner and perched him on the top rope. Steiner went to climb up for the Frankensteiner but Scott Hall jumped on the apron, causing a distraction. Steiner took care of Hall and promptly dropped him but Kevin Nash was quick to follow. Steiner again was able to drop Nash from the apron and turn his attention back to Pillman, but by this time, it was too long. This allowed Pillman to recover and he pushed Steiner off the ropes, who crashed down to the mat. Pillman stood on the top rope and waited for Steiner to get back to his feet and when he did, he leapt off with the Air Pillman. He connected and the referee counted, but Steiner was able to kick out just before the 3! The crowd erupted which gave Steiner a second wind to begin a comeback. Pillman was reeling and Steiner was firmly in control. Things looked good as Hall and Nash were down on the floor and just starting to get back to their feet. Steiner motioned that it was over and everyone watching was sure to see a new US champion crowned. Steiner brought Pillman back to his feet and got him in a front face lock, preparing to lift him for the Steiner Screwdriver. Just as he went to lift Pillman, Steiner was struck from behind by the world title and Hollywood Hogan! This unfortunately forced the referee to call for the bell at 16:25.

Winner by DQ: Scott Steiner

In typical NWO fashion, things didn't stop when the bell rang, however. Hogan continued his assault and Hall and Nash were now climbing in the ring. Pillman recovered enough to start getting a couple of kicks in also and the beatdown started. Nash put Steiner in position for the Powerbomb and was helped by Hogan, Hall, and Pillman to finish it. The NWO was all smiles and arrogant taunting as the spray paint made its appearance yet again at the ending of a Monday Nitro. This time, Scott Steiner found his back painted "NWO" and the Nitro credits appeared on the screen as Hogan yelled into the camera, taunting the entire time and also spray painting the lens, causing Nitro to go to black.

Rating: 97

Final Show Rating: 87

• Like 1

hotline.jpg.07f57103d26c99a571ad1b9bb19de3ad.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the WCW Hotline Report! I'm Mean Gene Okerlund bringing you all of the latest news and rumors of the wrestling world!

Lots of news to report about company relationships. WCW has reportedly adopted a friendly attitude with All Japan Women's Wrestling. If my speculation is correct, this could mean seeing female wrestlers from Japan wrestle on WCW programming in the near future.

In the first week of October, it was announced that WCW and Smoky Mountain Wrestling were no longer at war. That all apparently changed again this week when SMW once again declared war on WCW. This could coincide with their recent gain in size to "Medium." I tried reaching out to owner Jim Cornette for a comment, but, unsurprisingly, he hasn't returned my calls.

The relationship between WCW and the WWF continues to decline after Eric Bischoff announced in a press conference earlier this week that they were taking a "hostile attitude" toward the WWF.

Fans might have been surprised to see a considerable increase in muscle size with Eddie Guerrero this week on Nitro. Those in the inner offices are under the belief that Guerrero's "star quality" has dramatically increased since putting on more weight. There have been some internet rumors going around that Guerrero achieved this increase under some....questionable means.

The Television title tournament continued this weekend on WCW Saturday Night when John Tenta defeated Alex Wright. That set the stage for the semi-finals, pitting Dean Malenko taking on John Tenta and Diamond Dallas Page against Wrath. Both semi-final matches will take place this week on Monday Nitro.

Here is the official lineup for this week's Monday Nitro!

WCWMondayNitro5.jpg.68e7696f973de98ebfd1a5dabf25629f.jpg

Week 3, October 1996

LIVE from the Worcester Centrum - Worcester, NY

Tag Team Titles:

Lex Luger & Scott Steiner vs The Outsiders (c)

Ricky Steamboat vs Earl Robert Eaton

TV Title Tournament:

Diamond Dallas Page vs Wrath

TV Title Tournament:

Dean Malenko vs John Tenta

Mr. JL vs "Sting"

Booker T vs Dave Taylor

Tag Team Titles:

Lex Luger & Scott Steiner vs The Outsiders (c) (much as I hate to say it, Hall and Nash take this with a lot of outside help from Hogan and company)

TV Title Tournament:

TV Title Tournament:

Mr. JL vs "Sting" (the fake Sting, a poor man's copy of the real deal, still takes the win)

Booker T vs Dave Taylor

Tag Team Titles:

Lex Luger & Scott Steiner vs The Outsiders (c)

TV Title Tournament:

TV Title Tournament:

Mr. JL vs "Sting"

Booker T vs Dave Taylor

WCWMondayNitro5.jpg.af64c50590c37a024213a6af6e552330.jpg

Week 3, October 1996

LIVE from the Worcester Centrum - Worcester, NY

Attendance: 13,108

Monday Nitro manages to go through their opening video followed by panoramic shots of the crowd and a large pyro display; Something they haven't been able to open with for quite some time. Cameras then switch to the announce booth where, oddly this week, Eric Bischoff welcomes everyone along with Bobby Heenan and Mike Tenay. Bischoff says that WCW is steamrolling toward Halloween Havoc with just less than two weeks to go. Scott Steiner has managed to get the attention of the NWO and has high hopes to take the world heavyweight title from Hollywood Hogan and Steve Austin has made no secret of wanting to get his hands on the Nature Boy Ric Flair. Bischoff says tonight will be a huge night because the finals for the Television title tournament will be decided and the Outsiders will defend their tag team titles against the Total Package Lex Luger and Scott Steiner. Bobby Heenan and Mike Tenay give their rundown of recent WCW events and their thoughts as WCW heads into one of the biggest PPV's of the year - Halloween Havoc. Before long, we're set for the first match of the night as Harlem Heat's music begins playing.

Booker T vs Dave Taylor

BookerT10.jpg.243afa1410d22beb71fb0bdaed01ca52.jpg vs DaveTaylorBB.jpg.4d3217dffd7c041dd0499185a1fedf12.jpg

This match probably should have been much better, but it was apparent that Taylor's on-going knee injury was still giving him problems and limiting his ability in the ring. Still though, they managed to put on a pretty competitive match but it was clear that Booker was the stronger of the two. Booker did a great job of getting all of his signature spots in and put the match away at 8:02 after hitting a Missile Dropkick.

Winner: Booker T

Rating: 66

DaveFinlay.jpg.8757a66317c38e6d370c77476226dd07.jpgScottNorton96.jpg.433add2a4b202ae7927f4ff60275f6ce.jpg

- Backstage in the arena, we're shown a huge fight taking place. Really, it's just a total beatdown of Scott Norton, which isn't the usual type of scene. Finlay has Norton down on the concrete but what clearly helped was a chair and trash can that were completely mangled. Finlay yells at Norton about being the toughest man in WCW, something Norton has been out to prove for awhile now. With Norton down and out, it looks like he may have finally met his match with Finlay. -

Rating: 57

Mr. JL vs "Sting"

Mr_JL.jpg.4a6314a1fcdb1abb857ebc514f76fd96.jpg vs nWoSting96.jpg.8b83474cc5e1b5e4660c0ad4a35b3829.jpg

The crowd got on their feet when "A Man Called Sting" began blaring from the speakers but those loud cheers quickly turned to boo's when "Sting" walked out. Not fooling the crowd a bit, "Sting" paused at the ramp to give a "WOOO!" but only received a loud chorus of boo's in return. He acted like this shocked him as he continued to the ring and posed on the middle rope. The two locked up, but "Sting" quickly took control, hitting all the usual spots that the real Sting does; jumping face smash, jumping elbows, and a clothesline later, "Sting" gave out another "WOOO" to the booing crowd. "Sting" then hit a pair of Stinger Splashes as JL dropped to the mat. A Scorpion Deathlock was locked on in the middle of the ring, but then the crowd got on their feet again, looking toward the entrance....

StingEarlyCrow.jpg.9d86d1ae7899f34a580b20c57fa61fc6.jpg

Bischoff: Wait a minute.....That's......

Heenan: That's Sting!!!

Bischoff: It is, but........Different.....

- The Real Sting climbs the steps to the ring and gets right in, still with "Sting" holding the Scorpion Deathlock in. The real Sting walks up behind the fake one and grabs him by the hair, which causes him to drop the submission hold. Sting bends the fake backward and locks him under his arm, dropping him with a reverse DDT. Sting jumps up and picks up the fake again before rushing to the ropes and hitting his own face smash. Clearly showing the fake Sting how it's properly done, Sting again picks up the fake and props him in the corner, patting him on the shoulder. Sting goes to the opposite corner and rushes in, hitting a huge Stinger Splash. The fake drops to the mat and then Sting locks in his own Scorpion Deathlock. The fake taps out wildly but the Stinger's in no mood to release the hold. -

Winner: No contest

Rating: 51

BrianPillman7.jpg.1916ce8e99f854b906d3ff42edc4c812.jpgScottHall11.jpg.fb9834a947534ab9c5ac2b27db8f48e3.jpgKevinNash973.jpg.f40be755260702a073ad89ea9018c2fc.jpg

- Sting's still got the hold locked in as the NWO makes their presence. All three get right in the ring, which causes Sting to merely look in their direction. When all three get in the ring, Sting finally drops the hold, but rather than fight, Sting just turns and looks at them all. All three men give Sting a round of applause as Brian Pillman has a microphone. -

Pillman: Well, well, well, ladies and gentlemen!! Let's give it up for the REAL Stinger!!!!!!! As a matter of fact, Sting, the NWO would also love to give you a warm welcome! Sting, I think you should give credit where credit is due, my friend....The NWO never played you for a fool we never said you couldn't be trusted, and we never played ourselves off as something we weren't!! The same, I'm afraid, can't be said for your WCW co-horts! They called you a liar! They called you a sellout!! They said they didn't trust you or believe you!!! They turned their back on YOU, Sting! You should join the NWO, Sting!! Because when you join the NWO, you join a true family who will never let you down!!! What do ya think, Big Man???

Nash: Stinger, if I could quote my favorite American poet, I think it's time you...

Break on through......

To the other side.....

Hall: I got a question, for you Sting. You've been carrying that WCW banner, high-fiving the little kids, doing the right thing, and being the company man for such a long time - And doing a great job, too! You've bent over backwards for WCW, and what do ya have to show for it??? They told you to stick it, Sting! So we brought him (points to fake Sting) out here, and imposter - And no one knows about imposters better than us!!! We bring him out here, because we knew it would get to you! You join the NWO, Sting, and you never have to worry about people turning their back on you again!

Sting: That, right there, is your cheap imitation! You get what ya pay for, don't ya?!?!

The real Sting may........

Or may not be......In your price range. But the only thing for sure about Sting.....

Is nothin's for sure.

Sting drops the mic and exits the ring, heading back up the aisle and toward the stage. -

Bischoff: He didn't join the NWO!

Heenan: He didn't say no!

Bischoff: No, but he didn't say yes, either!

Tenay: I don't think we could make a conclusion either way, he just said nothing's for sure!

Bischoff: Fans, we've got to take a break, don't go away!!

Television Title Tournament:

DeanMalenko96.jpg.af17ed9cc461e371ddfbbc715a3cf047.jpg vs JohnTenta.jpg.fdb349c72156858da13e9f97597d4c04.jpg

Malenko was at a great size disadvantage for this match but he didn't appear to back down much at all, taking the fight straight to Tenta. The Man of 1,000 holds did a superior job attacking the legs of Tenta to keep him grounded and prevent him from using his size. His mistake was when he went for a sunset flip. He wasn't able to budge the big man who dropped all his weight down on him in return. After the near fall, Tenta began to take control. Tides turned once again when Malenko dodged a corner splash attempt and after hitting an impressive back body drop on Tenta, Malenko looked like he was going to look to finish things with a Texas Cloverleaf....

DDP2.jpg.28c18882fb0955c056d45ffeb4b80b96.jpg

Diamond Dallas Page made his way out from the stage entrance and to ringside, where he got Malenko's attention just as he grabbed Tenta's legs. Malenko quickly dropped them and went over to the ropes, yelling at DDP who was below on the floor. The distraction was enough to allow Tenta to recover and get to his feet and rushed Malenko. After crushing him, Malenko dropped to the mat where Tenta promptly bounced off the ropes, hitting the Earthquake Splash and getting the win at 10:10, moving on to the TV Title Tournament final.

Winner: John Tenta

GeneOkerlund6.jpg.76d8c254c36eba44e8bfb41871294d9f.jpg

Mean Gene: Ladies and gentlemen, join me in welcoming my guests at this time; two men who need no introductions, The Enforcer Arn Anderson and the Nature Boy Ric Flair!!!

ArnAnderson1.jpg.d4b7c11ecdefca8f06cee00ca9436e44.jpgRicFlair8.jpg.e00bf4016bc1d60541d1cdf5623cc926.jpg

- Double A and Flair make their way out to the Nature Boy's theme song, rather than the galloping horses, though both pause at the bottom of the ramp to throw up the Horsemen sign. The climb in the ring and meet Mean Gene in the middle as they look out at the capacity crowd and Mean Gene gets down to his questions. -

Mean Gene: Arn Anderson, if I may, I'm going to start with you tonight. Former Horsemen member and now proud NWO member Brian Pillman, who happens to be the United States champion, had some things to say about you on Saturday Night, particularly that he "owns" you. Now, it doesn't take a genius to realize that Brian Pillman has some long over-due payback coming his way.

Arn: Mean Gene, the fact of the matter is this; Brian Pillman has got a big mouth when he has other people standing beside him, and Pillman, when you joined the NWO, your mouth got a whole lot bigger! It's funny, cause I don't see that mouth moving quite as much when you're all by yourself. Now I'm sure you're proud of yourself because after you turned on the Horsemen, that was the beginning of the end of the Horsemen. Ever since then, we've been in shambles. That's partially my fault. Well let me fill you in on a little something. My career's never been about titles, it's just been about being the best. Arn Anderson is synonymous with the Television title, but the United States title isn't one that I've ever held. That's something I plan on changing come Halloween Havoc, because Brian Pillman, it is true that you have payback coming your way, and I see that payback coming in just under two weeks! The fact that you happen to be the United States champion will make it all that much sweeter when I get my revenge on you, and I beat you to within an inch of your life!

Mean Gene: And not too far behind will be his NWO friends, I'm sure. Nature Boy, you've had an uphill battle for the last several weeks. You've been the target of the NWO's brutal attacks and you've also had Steve Austin nipping at your heels for a match. He has issued you a challenge for Halloween Havoc and you haven't yet given a response.

Flair: I haven't given Austin a response because I don't find Steve Austin to be worthy of a response! Steve Austin was the one who turned his back on the Horsemen, just like his pal Brian Pillman! Steve Austin isn't capable of doing one single thing all on his own accord! He's got to ride everyone else's coattails to success! Well despite choosing to leave the Horsemen, Austin still wants to ride the coattails of Arn Anderson and Ric Flair! Mean Gene, I'm not sure why Austin thinks....

SteveAustin96alt.jpg.ffff17e3849ea752fae5e652185c7e38.jpg

- Austin's music hits and he walks out onto the stage, but stops short before walking down the ramp. He's got a mic in hand and also all three men's attention in the ring. -

Austin: You know what I hear any time you open up your mouth, Ric Flair?!? Nothing but a buncha crap!!!! The simple fact is, I've come out here for several weeks now and called you out for a match! I've made no mistake that I want you in the ring, and I want to finish you off, once and for all! I've made it crystal clear of what I think of you, but you're too damn afraid to accept a match with me!! You go on and on about being the dirtiest player in the game and the greatest wrestler to lace up a pair of boots, but you've done everything you can to dodge Steve Austin! Well if you ask me, it's because you're nothing more than a coward! You're too much of a chicken to take me on in a match, and you've just proven it in front of everyone!

Flair: You know what Austin?!?!? You want me in a match at Halloween Havoc, then you're on!! As a matter of fact, there's nothing I can't wait for more than to get my hands on you and teach you a lesson!!! You want a match?!?! YOU GOT IT!

TV Title Tournament:

DDP2.jpg.28c18882fb0955c056d45ffeb4b80b96.jpg vs BryanClark3.jpg.a1ed2707b1b9661f054cecc57a345840.jpg

Both men were on their game in this match and the crowd responded well to both. Wrath brought several high-impact moves to the match but DDP did his best as well with some hard hitting moves and strikes. Wrath was used to dominating his opponents fairly quickly, so it was clear as the match went longer, Wrath struggled. DDP was able to hit a swinging neckbreaker, discuss clothesline, and a flapjack before signaling for the Diamond Cutter. Wrath was able to shove DDP off to the ropes but on rebound, DDP was able to reverse a clothesline attempt from Wrath into the Diamond Cutter for the win at 10:51 and move into the TV title finals.

Rating: 72

** The Following Announcement Has Been Paid For By the New World Order **

HulkHogan11.jpg.ae282a6aeb05acc2459b7a8d21941295.jpgBrianPillman7.jpg.1916ce8e99f854b906d3ff42edc4c812.jpgScottHall11.jpg.fb9834a947534ab9c5ac2b27db8f48e3.jpgKevinNash973.jpg.f40be755260702a073ad89ea9018c2fc.jpg

Hogan: Ya know something, brothers?!?! The NWO is firmly in control, I mean we've got the NWO world title, we've got the Tag Team titles, and we've got the United States title!!!!

Pillman: Gee, Hulkster, what title's DON'T we have?!?!

Hogan: Oh yeah! The TV title!! Could there be a more fitting title for Hollywood and the NWO than a Television title?!?

Hall: Oh I don't know Hulkster, the defending clause could be a schedule breaker....Big Kev, why don't you go after the title??

Nash: You kidding? I work limited dates...

Hogan: Well then I guess we'll just have to find someone else....

Rating: 99

Earl Robert Eaton vs Ricky Steamboat

BobbyEatonBB.jpg.8e326b39956770613270374d83c730f1.jpg vs RickySteamboat92.jpg.5195bf08f9f31631d7717cedd16e3a8a.jpg

Earl Eaton wasn't as on his game quite as much on his game this week as he was last week but it was ok because the Dragon was. Steamboat was clearly feeling it tonight as he hit several of his patented arm drags and hit several chops to Eaton. Steamboat got the win at 10:15 after a Flying Cross Body for the pin.

Winner: Ricky Steamboat

Rating: 73

EddieGuerrero6.jpg.c1c6bd6d9a4ab8fa39f8cecaaf3d98e2.jpg

After the bell sounds and Steamboat is celebrating his victory, Eddie Guerrero walks out to the stage. Eddie's dressed in street clothes, so it appears he isn't here for a fight. Eddie has a microphone and tells the Dragon that he's overstayed his welcome in WCW and that he should've stayed retired. Eddie says he wants to finish Steamboat's career once and for all at Halloween Havoc and challenges him to put his career on the line. Steamboat gets a microphone and says the challenge is accepted and he'll show Eddie that he's still got a few lessons to give.

Rating: 99

EricBischoff0.jpg.bd2fb6d690a9fd3ca6cd4d02fffc0a33.jpgDustyRhodes3.jpg.52a96592775d008a9c2807ea1d7dbf2d.jpg

Eric Bischoff and Dusty Rhodes are at the bottom of the entrance ramp where they hype up the final for the TV Title Tournament between John Tenta and Diamond Dallas Page. Bischoff says the match will take place at Halloween Havoc and the new champion will be crowned then. A brief video highlight of both men are shown before the segment ends.

Rating: 73

Tag Team Titles:

Scott Steiner & Lex Luger vs The Outsiders (c)

ScottSteiner1.jpg.ec65612c17d316fb2fd8623cdb7f4f7f.jpgLexLuger96.jpg.e62b9888ed3657908b347a22f0e632c2.jpg vs ScottHall11.jpg.fb9834a947534ab9c5ac2b27db8f48e3.jpgKevinNash973.jpg.f40be755260702a073ad89ea9018c2fc.jpg

All four men could barely have performed better and the crowd was excited for the pairing of Luger and Steiner. The Outsiders spent the beginning of the match making fun of their competitors physiques and taunted them with poses of their own. The crowd fired back when Luger and Steiner simultaneously posed back and caused Hall to back into his corner. His response was flicking his toothpick in the face of Steiner, which was a mistake. Steiner fired off with his attack and had both Outsiders reeling. The champions came back with some offense of their own and isolated Luger from his corner. After some time in control, Luger was able to make the hot tag to Steiner, who came in with fury and tossed Hall easily with suplexes before Nash rushed in. Nash didn't have much better luck as he was tossed overhead by Steiner easily.

HulkHogan11.jpg.ae282a6aeb05acc2459b7a8d21941295.jpgBrianPillman7.jpg.1916ce8e99f854b906d3ff42edc4c812.jpg

Just as things looked to be going the challengers way, Hollywood Hogan and Brian Pillman made their way to the ring. Steiner had Scott Hall locked in a front face lock, ready to lift him for the Steiner Screwdriver when Pillman rushed in the ring and hit him from behind with the US title. Hogan came in and went after Luger as the referee called for the bell, signaling this a DQ at 17:31.

Winners by DQ: Scott Steiner & Lex Luger

In typical NWO fashion, Scott Steiner and Lex Luger are mercilessly beat down and the referee was the only one attempting to intervene. Hogan easily dispatched the referee over the top rope before continuing the assault and dropping some legs on Steiner. Nitro fades out with the NWO continuing their attack and Scott Hall getting out the spray cans. All the while on commentary, Bobby Heenan exclaims that no one is coming out to help WCW.

Rating: 90

Final Show Rating: 87

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Henderson said:

Hogan: Oh yeah! The TV title!! Could there be a more fitting title for Hollywood and the NWO than a Television title?!?

Hall: Oh I don't know Hulkster, the defending clause could be a schedule breaker....Big Kev, why don't you go after the title??

Nash: You kidding? I work limited dates...

Hogan: Well then I guess we'll just have to find someone else....

I know it's a little early to be making predictions, but I'm betting that with Tenta/DDP in the TV title tourney final, my bet is that Tenta, being a WWF expat himself, ends up getting the win and the TV title and becomes the fifth NWO member...  🤔

• Like 1