WCW 1995

27 minutes ago, Old School Fan said:

I know it's a little early to be making predictions, but I'm betting that with Tenta/DDP in the TV title tourney final, my bet is that Tenta, being a WWF expat himself, ends up getting the win and the TV title and becomes the fifth NWO member...  🤔

I was thinking the fifth member would debut after the tournament somehow, but Tenta getting a push as a serious threat could be a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

I know it's a little early to be making predictions, but I'm betting that with Tenta/DDP in the TV title tourney final, my bet is that Tenta, being a WWF expat himself, ends up getting the win and the TV title and becomes the fifth NWO member...  🤔

Syxx-Pac on the horizon? OH! Or JPL/HHH debuting? I'm so hyped for this storyline.

Not to de-rail the thread, but I love that someone has a diary going that has me guessing and second guessing what's coming. It's fun to play along.

This kind of stuff is what hypes me up to keep putting these shows up! I really enjoy when you guys are getting excited about things taking shape and the predictions are always welcome! It is also pretty entertaining to me to see how right or wrong you guys are with your guesses. Hopefully nothing disappoints! We're inching closer to me catching up with my game and this all has me really looking forward to playing it again!

• Like 2

hotline.jpg.9eef7a406df5e1e353dfefdaae43997b.jpg

Hello ladies and gentlemen, I'm Mean Gene Okerlund bringing you this week's WCW Hotline Report!

Congratulations to ECW, who have reportedly increased to "Medium" size after coming off their monthly event called "Defiance." The night was capped off by The Sandman successfully defending the ECW world title against Taz. In the semi-main event, Maxx Payne defeated 911 to successfully defend the ECW Television title.

Ron Simmons has extended his exclusive contract with World Wrestling Council.

I can confirm a major signing for WCW this week. While I can't release the name, I can reveal that this person is well known throughout the American wrestling scene and has been heavily featured on WWF programming.

Speaking of the WWF, they held their monthly In Your House PPV. In a return match for the WWF World Heavyweight title,

Champion Psycho Sid successfully defended the title against the British Bulldog.

Goldust def. 123 Kid for the Intercontinental title

Bret Hart & The Undertaker def. Road Warrior Animal & Ahmed Johnson in a cage match

The Big Show def. Warrior in a cage match

Owen Hart def. Hunter Hearst Helmsley

Bam Bam Bigelow def. Kama in a cage match

Tatanka def. Road Warrior Hawk

Sgt. Slaughter & Devil Machines (Bob Holly & Mark Canterbury) def. Brian Adams & Acid Burn (Dutch Mantel & Shane Douglas)

Savio Vega def. Tom Pritchard

Chaparita Asari def. Lexie Fyfe & Yumiko Hotta to retain the Women's title

As you can see, about all you missed for the WWF's event this month was a bunch of cage matches.

There wasn't much of anything significant taking place this weekend on WCW Saturday Night other than Brian Pillman accepting Arn Anderson's challenge for Halloween Havoc.

Here is the unofficial lineup for this week's Monday Nitro, the final show before Halloween Havoc, so you can bet it will be packed with action!

WCWMondayNitro5.jpg.7f69fd607ce6bc91d3a0ce763fd43f42.jpg

Week 4, October 1996

LIVE from the Providence Civic Center - Providence, RI

Perry Saturn vs Eddie Guerrero

Ricky Steamboat vs Jacques Rougeau

Big Bubba Rogers vs Fit Finlay

Scott Norton vs Mike Barton

Chavo Guerrero Jr. vs Wrath

WCWMondayNitro5.jpg.06e6737573def78151c4598eb3fe961a.jpg

Week 4, October 1996

LIVE from the Providence Civic Center - Providence, RI

Attendance: 12,765

- Monday Nitro begins this week, the final Nitro of October 1996, in their usual manner, the Monday Nitro intro video, huge fireworks display, and multiple shots throughout the arena of the crazy fans. Eric Bischoff again is on commentary this week along with Bobby the Brain Heenan and Iron Mike Tenay. Bischoff says WCW is heading full force into Halloween Havoc this coming Sunday and if you were thinking of switching over to those "other guys" to not even bother. Psycho Sid retains the WWF title against Bret Hart, The Ultimate Warrior & Shawn Michaels beat Camp Cornette (British Bulldog & Big Show), Bob Holly & the New Rockers beat the Million Dollar Corporation (Road Warrior Hawk, King Kong Bundy, & Kama), Savio Vega & Tatanka defeated Men on a Mission and another dud of a women's title match. Bischoff says the WWF is taped each and every week but Monday Nitro is LIVE and anything can happen at any time! Right now, Nitro is kicking off with the first match of the night! -

Chavo Guerrero Jr. vs Wrath

ChavoGuerreroJr2.jpg.08f68de0fe604d4804c426569e7194e7.jpg vs BryanClark3.jpg.31b3765400c1c8c9d6fbde8108954994.jpg

Ok then.......Chavo is trying once again to get past Wrath, something he's failed to do the last three matches. Unfortunately for Chavo, Wrath had some pent up aggression to get rid of after his exit from the TV title tournament. He also delivered another solid performance, and dominating one. Wrath put Chavo down once again with the Meltdown at 4:49.

Winner: Wrath

Rating: 57

SteveAustin96alt.jpg.be76eab239f45e7e3ea9c8627f989b4c.jpgRicFlair8.jpg.69a4514299f5a95e8ecee14bd7dc5e92.jpg

Cameras go backstage where Steve Austin and Ric Flair are engaged in a loud yelling match. Both men are held back by several officials, so there's no active brawl taking place, but both men are yelling so loud at each other that nothing can really be made out. Flair and Austin try to get at one another but the slew of officials are able to keep them separated before cameras go back out to the arena.

Rating: 100

Scott Norton vs Mike Barton

ScottNorton96.jpg.e09ab38885d5e2c4d74317aa29a9aba7.jpg vs MikeBarton.jpg.af8787133848e686f2587e9af457df0c.jpg

These two men are very familiar with one another as their feud to label the "toughest man in WCW" wasn't that long ago. Unfortunately, their recent-enough feud did little to excite the crowd in this match. Barton had been pegged by many to get a decent push in WCW, though that doesn't seem to have panned out. Norton was like a released bull and got the pin at 8:03 with a Powerbomb.

Winner: Scott Norton

Rating: 59

Fit Finlay vs Big Bubba Rogers

FitFinlay5.jpg.ce1688e165e8b4685589844cef674f2d.jpg vs RayTraylor94.jpg.81707a0dec9efed5f15d1c94bd1e7be9.jpg

Nitro returns from commercial and there's yet another match on Nitro. The action keeps going as both men started brawling as soon as the bell rang, which got the crowd to immediately get excited. Finlay, being the tough Irishman, ended up taking the advantage and had Bubba reeling. Bubba was too heavy for Finlay to get the Tombstone on him, but he did hit a regular pile driver for the win at 8:07.

Winner: Fit Finlay

Rating: 67

HollywoodHogan.jpg.a664a813e70418946ef948927e82fcf0.jpg

After another quick commercial break, cameras return to the arena and the crowd get on their feet as the NWO music plays. Surprisingly, Hollywood Hogan comes out all alone as he strums the World Heavyweight title like a guitar as he makes his way toward the ring. Hogan makes his way in the ring and gets a microphone that was stuffed in the front of his tights after taunting the crowd a bit.

Hogan: If there's one thing that everybody knows, it's that professional wrestling wouldn't exist without Hollywood Hogan, so even though all of you people don't deserve to be graced by the presence of a God-like figure, I thought I would give everyone the feeling, just one time, of what it's like to be in the presence of Hollywood Hogan! Bask in the glory of all my greatness!!!!

Now as for Halloween Havoc and that main event wanna-be Scott Steiner, let me just say that he makes me sick, brother! Absolutely sick! Scott Steiner comes out here wearing his bright tights and his stupid mullet haircut!!! Scott Steiner, this isn't the 80's anymore, brother, and what you need to do is take the example that Hollywood's set and get yourself up to modern times, my man! But it seems to me that you're too stupid to do that, just like your brother!! The fact that you even had the nerve to call out Hollywood Hogan suggests to me that you're not working with a complete set of silverware, BRAH!

So Scotty Steiner, what I decided on top of gracing all of these losers with my presence here tonight, is to come out here all by myself and get Halloween Havoc started early, brother! Scott Steiner, get your rear end out here so I can kick it!

ScottSteiner.jpg.9f1dad5d0e802349161f89fce21fa71b.jpg

The crowd get on their feet as "Steinerized" hits the speakers and the announce booth goes crazy as Hogan called out Scott Steiner. Steiner walks out and doesn't hesitate going straight to the ring and getting right up in Hogan's face. Steiner points his finger right in Hogan's face and isn't backing down a step. The two men are on the verge of coming to blows...... -

KevinNash973.jpg.de565186e4b3b7b9e3e46a76da45f5c4.jpgBrianPillman7.jpg.79102dc5b8ee8dd4430636574bf43a61.jpg

That is, until Kevin Nash and Brian Pillman come out of the crowd and get in the ring behind Steiner. Both men attack Steiner from behind, who never had a chance to defend himself or cut them off. Steiner drops as Hogan joins in on the attack. -

ArnAnderson1.jpg.b7cbc12ff762caf3d476a43a7dc17845.jpgLexLuger96.jpg.911b224e2da2985140014655d8e701b0.jpg

The crowd roar to life as Arn Anderson and Lex Luger are seen sliding in the ring from the aisle. Anderson is briefly able to get his hands on Brian Pillman, who was the last NWO member to see the help running in, but it wasn't very long. Pillman was able to regroup with Nash and Hogan in the aisle while the Enforcer and Luger checked on Steiner, who got him to his feet. -

Anderson: It looks to me that the odds just evened up a bit!!! I'll tell you what, the three of you thugs want to get in a fight so bad, how about in tonight's main event, the three of you take on the three of us, and we'll just see who the toughest men are?!

Hogan: You know what, Arn Anderson?!?!? I've already beaten you and Luger more times than I can count!! If you want to lose one more time to Hollywood and the NWO, be my guest! Not only will the NWO beat you both again, but we're gonna soften up Steiner real nice for Halloween Havoc, and then he'll just be another one of Hollywood's victims! You're on!

Rating: 97

Ricky Steamboat vs Jacques Rougeau

RickySteamboat92.jpg.efc5f727604db2502cb7e984712ab660.jpg vs JacquesRougeau972.jpg.042d8c85100c0c98bd861bddcce3120f.jpg

This was a solid match that was given a decent amount of time as the Dragon wanted to polish his moveset ahead of his match at Halloween Havoc with Eddie Guerrero, where he puts his career on the line. Steamboat was on fire for this match and Jacques never had a solid foothold of offense. Steamboat picked up the win at 12:16 with a Flying Crossbody.

Winner: Ricky Steamboat

Rating: 77

EricBischoff0.jpg.9bbf048d4015c3b015a492230dbc98d3.jpg

Eric Bischoff had stepped away from the commentary booth and has now taken up a spot at the bottom of the entrance ramp. Bischoff says that he needs to bring Harlem Heat out to address an issue with them. Their music plays and the duo walk out with Sensuous Sherri and they all look with guarded interest.

BookerT.jpg.ac8009afe24dc5a05ca4d9dd19a0de89.jpgSherriMartel5.jpg.9d619a890faa72a7e3797a7e298de64a.jpgStevieRay.jpg.5d62526dd70a7173c3059c6b8cdf594c.jpg

Bischoff: Booker T, Stevie Ray, I appreciate the both of you coming out here. Sherri, as always, it's good to see you. Unfortunately, I have some bad news that I have to be the one to break to you. Now, as everyone is aware, you both will challenge the Outsiders this Sunday at Halloween Havoc for the WCW Tag Team titles. It's my responsibility to inform you both that that title match may be in jeopardy and may not take place.....

Booker: What???? What the hell you mean, man?!?! We earned that title shot and it ain't up for no dispute!! The Outsiders ain't getting outta this one, man!!!

Bischoff: Hold on...Hold on....I'm just here to tell you and all of these fans of the news. As President of WCW, it's my responsibility. I can't, unfortunately, give you any information other than that....But Scott Hall is not here tonight and he may not be here for Halloween Havoc. That's all I can say at this time....

Rating: 69

GeneOkerlund6.jpg.b1c5211557911b08df3e239b049f6bf3.jpg

DeanMalenko4.jpg.bd74ac0c3a0137b1eb4ecea736f9921c.jpgFrancine.jpg.6d7f060bbe01853c6489ee55a9aae9a7.jpg

We get to see Mean Gene for the first time tonight as he's backstage with Dean Malenko and Francine. Neither one seems very pleased at the moment as Malenko stands with his hands on his hips, glaring into the camera while Francine chomps on some gum while Gene does the introductions. Mean Gene doesn't get very far as Francine grabs his hand and microphone and cuts him off.

Francine: Let's skip the pleasantries, eh Gene???? My time is valuable and so is Dean's, so lets not waste any more of it, mkay?!? What I need to address right now is Diamond Dallas Page, and how Diamond Dallas Page screwed Dean out of the TV title! DDP, you made the biggest mistake you possibly could by screwing Dean out of a spot in the finals, and we all know why! It's because you knew you couldn't beat Dean in a one on one match for that belt! You're afraid of him! Just admit it! Well guess what, DDP??? What goes around, comes around, and at Halloween Havoc, me and Dean will have nothing to do other than sit around and wait to screw YOU out of winning that belt! You got that??? We're gonna have the last laugh at Halloween Havoc!

Rating: 63

Perry Saturn vs Eddie Guerrero

PerrySaturn5.jpg.7a75666405a69bda2d99c00f1f3bafbd.jpg vs EddieGuerrero6.jpg.219507ac98f22aa1e57abfa1f6ef1c6d.jpg

This was a pretty stellar match between two very talented people. The issue for Saturn, is while he was holding his own, Eddie was simply untouchable and every move he did came off crisp and flawless. Eddie was clearly feeling on top of his game tonight, which was sure to give him a ton of momentum heading into his Halloween Havoc match against Steamboat. Eddie got the win at 9:40 with the Frog Splash.

Winner: Eddie Guerrero

Rating: 78

Mean Gene is backstage outside the locker room door of the NWO. Gene says after Eric Bischoff's announcement to Harlem Heat that the tag team title match may be in jeopardy at Halloween Havoc, he wants to get some answers. Mean Gene bravely knocks on the door of the NWO locker room and it takes several knocks before the door finally opens.

KevinNash973.jpg.de565186e4b3b7b9e3e46a76da45f5c4.jpg

Mean Gene: Kevin Nash, just a little while ago, we heard WCW President Eric Bischoff tell Harlem Heat that the tag team title match may be in jeopardy at Halloween Havoc. I'd like to get some answers from you as to why....

Nash: Look, Mean Gene, normally, I'd have some funny quip to say to you, some joke to make, I'd make light of it, and move on....But tonight, my friend, I'm not up to it. I don't know what's going to happen at Halloween Havoc, ok? Just let it go.

Mean Gene: You've got to be kidding me?! For weeks, for months, the NWO's been running rampant, beating up anyone you want, now you're holding titles hostage?!

Nash: Don't push me Gene! You might be an announcer, but I'll still shove my fist so far down your throat, you're gonna be collecting monthly checks from Lloyd's of London! Don't think you can come to the NWO locker room and try to talk down to me! I told you, this is something a little more personal, and this time I'm not playing games! I'll say this, Scott Hall's................Under the weather. I need another partner for Halloween Havoc and if I can't find one, then Harlem Heat doesn't get a shot. It's that simple. Now get outta here!

Rating: 83

DDP2.jpg.4b62c7b357bfbdfa66000f97a1a04aa9.jpg

Nitro returns from a commercial break again and Mean Gene continues to have a busy night. He's standing backstage with Diamond Dallas Page and asks him about the TV Title tournament final match this Sunday against John Tenta. DDP says that it'll be a hard match against an extremely tough opponent and that he's definitely at a size disadvantage. DDP says what he lacks in the size matchup, he'll make up for with heart and passion. DDP says despite all the challenges laid ahead from Tenta and the threats from Dean Malenko and Francine, he's only a Diamond Cutter away from being the new TV champion.

Rating: 91

Arn Anderson, Lex Luger, & Scott Steiner vs NWO (Hogan, Nash, & Pillman)

ArnAnderson1.jpg.b7cbc12ff762caf3d476a43a7dc17845.jpgLexLuger96.jpg.911b224e2da2985140014655d8e701b0.jpgScottSteiner.jpg.9f1dad5d0e802349161f89fce21fa71b.jpg vs HollywoodHogan.jpg.a664a813e70418946ef948927e82fcf0.jpgBrianPillman7.jpg.79102dc5b8ee8dd4430636574bf43a61.jpgKevinNash973.jpg.de565186e4b3b7b9e3e46a76da45f5c4.jpg

As soon as the bell rang, it was complete disorganized chaos. Brian Pillman had the top performance of the match as all 6 men pair off. Hogan and Steiner fought, the Enforcer got ahold of Brian Pillman, and Lex Luger brawled with Kevin Nash. The referee really had no way to maintain any kind of order and just allowed all the men to fight. There was a brief period of time when both teams finally made it to their corners and Arn Anderson and Hollywood Hogan were the legal men. Arn dominated Hogan, to the delight of the crowd and hit his signature Spinebuster on Hogan. When the Enforcer motioned that he was going to end it, the brawl erupted again. With the referee losing total control of the match, he ended up throwing it out at 15:45.

Winners: No Contest

Rating: 79

In usual Monday Nitro fashion though, the sounding of the bell didn't get the men to stop fighting. Luger and Pillman ended up spilling out onto the floor and Nash and Anderson followed shortly after, leaving Hollywood Hogan all alone in the ring with Scott Steiner. The crowd were on their feet as Steiner looked out to the crowd and motioning at Hogan, who was beside himself and begging Steiner off. Hogan turned and tried to bail from the ring, but Steiner grabbed him, which caused an even louder reaction from the crowd. Steiner hit a big belly to belly suplex on Hogan who yelled and begged for Steiner to stop. Hogan got to his feet and retreated to the corner but Steiner rushed in and gave Hogan no time. Steiner mounted to the second rope and began raining punches down on Hogan with the crowd loudly counting along. Hogan wobbled out of the corner and Steiner motioned for a Frankensteiner as he pushed Hogan to the ropes and whipped him to the opposite side. Hogan grabbed on to the ropes though and stopped his momentum and rolled out of the ring. The crowd was booing loudly as Hogan retreated up the aisle and regrouped with Nash and Pillman as the Nitro credits showed on the screen and the cameras faded to black as Steiner celebrated in the ring and held up the World title.

Rating: 99

Final Show Rating: 86

hotline.jpg.df4602ba9f39052be541733ada0269b9.jpg

Hello ladies and gentlemen, I'm Mean Gene Okerlund here to bring you this special edition of the WCW Hotline Report!

WCW is full steam ahead toward Halloween Havoc, one of WCW's biggest Pay Per Views of the year!

I start off with exclusive breaking news. This past Monday on Nitro, Scott Hall showed up extremely intoxicated and in no condition to perform. As such, he was immediately sent home and Eric Bischoff demanded he attend rehab. This was Scott Hall's second incident since the end of August and Eric Bischoff reportedly wanted to get ahead of Hall's problems before they got out of hand. Scott Hall reportedly was furious at this news, and Kevin Nash was was said to be angry. This creates an issue for Halloween Havoc as the Outsiders were set to defend the tag team titles against Harlem Heat. It's unknown how long Scott Hall will be gone, but it's expected to be a significant amount of time. I have been told that Kevin Nash WILL have a partner and the titles WILL be defended at Halloween Havoc.

On some more positive news, Lord Steven Regal, who has been out of action since September with a complete ACL tear and had to be stripped of the TV title as a result, successfully underwent surgery to repair the tear. Doctors have given a very positive outlook and after initially expected to be out of action for over 6 months, they now believe he will return after 3 months of injury with no lasting effects or damage.

Little of note took place on this weekend's WCW Saturday Night. Hacksaw Jim Duggan said he's 100% WCW and stands for WCW and said he wanted to know where Sting stands.

I mentioned last week that there was a major signing in WCW but I can now confirm that there are 2 major signings! Look for these debuts in the near future!

Here is the official Halloween Havoc lineup!

WCWHalloweenHavoc.jpg.9be8cc0e543402d5ced70a0d3ef5ca3c.jpg

Sunday, Week 4, October 1996

LIVE from the Georgia Dome - Atlanta, GA

World Heavyweight Title

Scott Steiner vs Hollywood Hogan(c)

The Amazing French Canadians vs American Males

United States Title:

Arn Anderson vs Brian Pillman (c)

Television Title:

Diamond Dallas Page vs John Tenta

Ric Flair vs Steve Austin

First Blood:

Scott Norton vs Fit Finlay

Tag Team Titles:

Harlem Heat vs Kevin Nash & ???(c)

Career Match:

Eddie Guerrero vs Ricky Steamboat

*** Who will be Kevin Nash's partner?!?***

Edited by Henderson

World Heavyweight Title

by dq

United States Title:

Television Title:

First Blood:

Tag Team Titles:

Career Match:

*** Who will be Kevin Nash's partner?!?***
Shawn Michaels

World Heavyweight Title

United States Title:

Television Title:

First Blood:

Tag Team Titles:

Career Match:

*** Who will be Kevin Nash's partner?!?*** Shawn Michaels (defecting from the WWF)

WCWHalloweenHavoc.jpg.c5da74b70abd3bb26de11c16aebd84dd.jpg

Sunday, Week 4, October 1996

LIVE from the Georgia Dome - Atlanta, GA

Attendance: 63,188

- Halloween Havoc 1996 kicks off full of energy. The jam-packed Georgia Dome, though not sold out, was definitely full for this event and the hometown WCW crowd was ready as ever for the action! Cameras got a great shot of the custom stage set that WCW is known for on their PPV's. This month's event stage looks like a graveyard with multiple headstones showcasing random names of WCW wrestlers and an ever-present fog rolling across the ground. Two small buildings that looks like a mausoleum are in the backdrop. One features a large video screen and the other where the wrestlers will emerge from complete the stage. We're then brought to the announce booth where Tony Schiavone is back in the main announcer position and joined by Bobby Heenan and Dusty Rhodes. The rundown of the night is given where they discuss all of the events leading up to now. They all think Scott Steiner has a monumental task ahead of him by not only taking on Hollywood Hogan, but also potentially contending with the rest of the NWO to become the WCW World Heavyweight Champion. One thing all three announcers agree on, though, is that this will be a huge night for WCW as a whole. We're starting off with the first match of the night where a career hangs in the balance. -

Career Match:

EddieGuerrero6.jpg.792b34bb68c02c0d3ace8d962ad64695.jpg vs RickySteamboat92.jpg.4e2bc4026a50ddb0595a484cbcfe26a2.jpg

A tale of two completely different cities in this one. Eddie Guerrero approached the ring slowly and confidently and with a small smirk on his face. He climbed in the ring and ascended to the middle rope to look out at the raging crowd and just put his arms up to his side. The commentators mentioned that Eddie was overwhelmingly confident going into this match. Next out was The Dragon, who was clearly emotional as he walked toward the ring. Ricky slapped all of the outstretched hands along the aisle before reaching the ring and climbing in. He also perched himself on the middle rope to raise his arms up at the crowd but was quickly cut off as Eddie attacked from behind. The referee called for the bell and official start to the match and Steamboat was quickly at a disadvantage. Eddie didn't let up on his assault and firmly established control of the match early on. Ricky tried several times to stop Guerrero's momentum and turn the tides in his favor, but Eddie seemed three steps ahead of everything the Dragon tried to do. This resulted in Steamboats multiple offensive attempts to get smothered out like a fire. The more this happened, the more confident Eddie got and the more time Eddie spent taunting the crowd. This eventually came back to bite Eddie as it gave Steamboat an opening to mount a comeback. Superb at playing the helpless babyface, Steamboat's facial expressions easily got the crowd behind him as he caught Eddie off guard and hit him with a pair of arm drags. Eddie bounced up each time but then rushed the Dragon, who hit him with a karate chop. Steamboat began mounting his comeback from here and firmly had the crowd behind him, who was loving ever second of this opening match. Unfortunately for Steamboat, the referee became fooled by Eddie faking a knee injury on a leapfrog attempt. As the referee was pushing Steamboat back from continuing his attack and helping Eddie to his feet, Eddie used the distraction to kick a low blow on the Dragon. Just for show to the referee, Eddie kicked his leg out and stretched it, indicating that his knee was fine to continue the mat. As the referee turned and saw Steamboat collapsed on the mat, he of course was confused as to what happened. Eddie hit a few moves and then set up Ricky for the Frog Splash. Eddie climbed the rope and jumped after again taunting the crowd. Eddie flew through the air with his Frog Splash but Steamboat moved out of the way! Both men got to their feet at the same time but Eddie cut off the Dragon and whipped him into the ropes. On the rebound, Steamboat was able to roll through an attempted back suplex and lock in a Boston Crab! Eddie's arm flailed wildly as he attempted to crawl toward the rope to force the break. He tried to slowly make progress but it was clear he wouldn't make it. After several attempts to break out of it and after several failings, Eddie finally tapped the mat to submit. The referee called for the bell at 15:23 declaring the submission victory and The Dragon continuing his career!

Winner by submission: Ricky Steamboat

Rating: 94

Tag Team Titles:

BookerT4.jpg.2fb7aff1adebf7160473edfb53edfda3.jpgStevieRay4.jpg.dce0d0d8b96b296affbbc4e7076375a3.jpg vs KevinNash973.jpg.2132e9a13e5237a86325f145a7c7cebf.jpg_Businessman2.jpg.a927e0616f3bfcc79cbf0cac2bedca4c.jpg

After the opening match, everyone deserved a much needed emotional break. This gave the announcers a brief time to hype up the mystery surrounding this next match. Harlem Heat have been begging for a long time to get a title rematch after losing the belts to the Outsiders, but the NWO members had done a superb job at dodging them. Things got even more complicated when Scott Hall made an unexpected exit for awhile and leaving no partner for the co-champion Kevin Nash. Harlem Heat got to the ring first and waited not-too-patiently for Kevin Nash and whoever his partner would be. To their annoyance, Kevin Nash walked out alone with the NWO music played. Nash stopped short in the aisle and stared at Harlem Heat in the ring, who didn't appear interested in any games tonight. As Nash stood in the aisle, a subject began to emerge from the fog. Initial cheers turned to boos as they made their way out to join Nash, who had the other tag team belt.

nWoSting96.jpg.df51a8d658a332bf61d835640651cc6e.jpg

The NWO version of Sting walked out and joined Nash, much to the annoyance of Harlem Heat. They couldn't be that annoyed though, as the match was finally getting under way. Stevie Ray and "Sting" started things off, which quickly made "Sting" regret teaming with Nash. Stevie Ray took no mercy at all on the imposter and beat him down to the mat with several power moves. "Sting" tried to crawl his way toward Nash and outstretched his arm to make a tag but Nash didn't appear to want to get in either. Harlem Heat traded off multiple tags and worked well as a team to continue to punish "Sting." Nash had finally tagged in and while he fared better than his partner, Nash was still getting double-teamed at will by Harlem Heat. Nash eventually tagged himself out which saw "Sting" hesitate to get back in the ring. Nash looked completely disinterested in being in the match and when Harlem Heat hit the Heat Seeker on "Sting," Nash made no attempt to get in and break up the pin. This ensured Harlem Heat the win at 9:34 and new champions.

Winners and NEW tag team Champions: Harlem Heat

Rating: 82

First Blood:

ScottNorton96.jpg.67c9635fb1ba762e66972332da8627f2.jpg vs FitFinlay5.jpg.3704959e829d78f68c5a4fe61f56f3bc.jpg

For those people who only watch Nitro, they wouldn't be very familiar with the background on this match. While there was some mention of a feud going on between these men, it mostly took place on WCW Saturday Night. Norton has been on a quest for some time now to be labeled the "toughest" in WCW but the Irishman Fit Finlay challenged Norton to prove it. These two squared off at last month's PPV - Fall Brawl, and looked to finish things here tonight with a first blood match. Finlay was able to get the win at 7:48 after throwing the ring steps at Norton, hitting him square in the head and cutting his forehead and busting him open, possibly unexpectedly.

Winner: Fit Finlay

Rating: 69

GeneOkerlund7.jpg.52357dc1f97ddb8a81a5a1b75b13881e.jpg

ScottSteiner.jpg.ddd41bab188a669a4cd858ff1fffede1.jpg

WCW gets it's first break in the action while Mean Gene Okerlund is standing backstage with Scott Steiner, who looks ready to go for the main event. Gene reiterates that Steiner has a tough task ahead tonight as he tries to capture the world heavyweight title for the first time in his career.

Steiner: You know what, Mean Gene?!?! I want Hollywood Hogan and the rest of the NWO to pay real close attention, because right now I'm a man not to be messed with! I've taken a stand against Hogan and the NWO just like Lex Luger, just like Ric Flair, and just like Sting did! I've had enough of the NWO and the chaos they've caused WCW! Ya know, a lot of people tend to forget that the NWO took out my brother and are the reason he's sitting at home, hoping that he's even able to wrestle again! I ain't gonna forgive and I ain't gonna forget what the NWO did to him! So Mean Gene, do I wanna win the world title?!?! You bet your ass I do, but tonight's about much more than just the world title! Tonight, I'm standing up for WCW and, most of all, I'm standing up for my brother and what the NWO did to him! Hollywood Hogan's just gonna be an example for that entire trash group, and I WILL leave here tonight as the new champion!

Rating: 98

RicFlair.jpg.7d49befcf7d0d49a67580fcfe7ae4a27.jpg vs SteveAustin96.jpg.16c2f1e5699544041f7803181e48d1d6.jpg

Another highly anticipated match to take place next. Ric Flair made his way out to the ring by himself, with Heenan speculating that the Enforcer was busy preparing for his own grudge match later on. Flair was ultra focused the entire way to the ring and once in, had little theatrics. Similarly, Steve Austin made his own way out with razor-sharp focus himself. The two men met face to face in the center of the ring while the referee was giving instructions they both ignored. After jawing a few words to each other, the bell rang and the crowd gave an anticipated roar at the sound of it, to the astonishment of the announce booth. They continued to trash talk each other even after the bell sounded but that quickly changed when Austin faked turning away and tried to cheap shot Flair. The only problem with that, is you can't get a cheap shot in on the "Dirtiest Player in the Game." Flair was ready for that and blocked Austin's punch and fired away with punches and chops of his own, reeling Austin back to the corner. Once there, Flair still didn't let up and hit repeated blows followed by biting Austin's forehead. The referee tried to separate the men but Flair shoved him off, causing the referee to tumble backward toward the opposite corner. This allowed Austin to poke Flair in the eyes and reverse him into the corner and start his own assault. The referee again tried to intervene and he again was pushed off, this time by Austin, though much more forcefully. Dazed, the referee got back to his feet but rather than disqualify both men, he let the fight continue. The crowd was roaring for everything as the two men spilled outside the ring and to the floor where they continued to beat on each other and use everything within grasp. After a brief tour through the crowd, the fight made its way back into the ring where Flair was taking control. In an attempt to out-do Austin, Flair didn't hold back from a slew of dirty tactics like low blows, eye pokes, and biting. After hitting his signature knee-drops on Austin, Flair signaled it was time for the Figure Four. Flair grabbed Austin's leg and twisted around but Austin pushed Flair with his free leg which caused him to spill out onto the floor. Austin followed and the two again fought outside the ring on the floor. Austin shoved the ring announcer off his chair and picked it up, looking to use it. The referee, however, quickly exited the ring and grabbed the chair from Austin as he lifted it up to hit Flair. Flair rolled in the ring and the referee warned Austin, who looked about ready to knock out the referee. The referee turned after dropping the chair to walk back up the steps and get back in the ring. Flair reached between the middle rope to grab Austin but was met with a chair shot to the head instead. Austin used the opportunity of the referee's back turned to pick up the chair to hit Flair with. With Flair out on the canvas, Austin quickly rolled back in and made the cover. The referee missed everything and re-entered the ring to see the pin and counted the three at 17:48.

Winner: Steve Austin

Rating: 86

Television Title:

DDP2.jpg.e76e98a481a60e6ffba6b9a0037a0fb4.jpg vs JohnTenta90.jpg.93a84e081dc689dda98c54443bb5f674.jpg

While DDP was probably expected to make the finals, most probably wouldn't say the same for Tenta. While he's a formidable wrestler by himself, he did receive a bit of help from DDP to get past Dean Malenko. Speaking of Malenko.....

DeanMalenko96.jpg.c531a45c220ff2b9ccbd380d83eb0dc8.jpgFrancine.jpg.1911d2c212f48ecdac078a19a5fb791e.jpg

While the competitors are making their entrances, a split screen is shown with Dean Malenko and his manager Francine sitting, presumably, in their dressing room and watching the ensuing match. Malenko will no doubt be interested in the winner of this match and clearly is watching things closely.

Rating: 51

The bell rings and both men get to it. DDP was thrown a bit off when none of his offense was effective on the bigger Tenta. This gave Tena the opening to take control of the match and slow things way down. DDP allowed a mis-timed attack to get in control and work on Tenta's legs, bringing him down. It took a few tries but eventually worked, but not for long. Tenta firmly had things in control and went for his Earthquake Splash, but DDP moved out of the way. Tenta was getting to his feet about the time DDP was bouncing off the ropes and hit the Diamond Cutter for the win at 12:18.

Winner and NEW TV Champion: Diamond Dallas Page

Rating: 73

United States Title:

ArnAnderson1.jpg.9f12c3645ee2dbe32101f103ed44a739.jpg vs BrianPillman8.jpg.8b3543da712d48f51c8fa244a64cb219.jpg

The match began with Pillman doing his best to taunt Anderson into losing control. While the Enforcer remained his stoic self, as soon as the bell rang, he unleashed a violent fury that had Pillman cowering to the corner. Clearly the veteran of the match, Anderson uses several submissions and strikes to wear down Pillman. He also spends a significant amount of time working on Pillman's arm and nearly getting disqualified after wrapping his arm around the rope and getting the referee to reach a 5 count. To Pillman's credit, he eventually fights his way back by getting extremely aggressive. The United States champ uses his speed and quickness to try and keep Anderson off guard and on his toes. As the time pushes, so do the limits as both men get increasingly physical in their attempts to end the match. This results in several near falls which get the crowd on the edge of their seats. Pillman is out to prove his betrayal was worth it while Anderson fights for retribution. With both men spent, Pillman exits the ring to the floor and grabs a steel chair. He turns to get in the ring with it but is stopped by the referee. Anderson is down on the mat and just beginning to stir while the conflict is going on outside. The referee threatens to disqualify Pillman but he doesn't care, as a DQ would result in him retaining the title. Even so, Pillman tosses the chair and gets back in the ring and rushes Anderson. Somehow, Anderson is able to grab Pillman and hit his signature spinebuster! With both men on the mat, Anderson isn't able to get the pin right away and when he finally does, Pillman kicks out just before 3. Both men again get to their feet and Pillman swings but Anderson is able to catch his arm and lock in an arm bar, on the same arm that Anderson was working on earlier in the match. Pillman screams in pain and appears to be moments away from tapping out but there's some activity taking place at the stage entrance.....

SteveAustin96.jpg.16c2f1e5699544041f7803181e48d1d6.jpg

To the confusion of the announcers and the crowd, Steve Austin makes his way to ringside. Austin grabs the discarded chair and gets up to the apron that gets the attention of the referee. With the referee distracted, Pillman wildly begins tapping out. The announcers proclaim that Pillman is tapping out, but there's no referee to see it! Anderson, seeing Pillman tap out, releases the hold and raises his arms in victory, but the bell doesn't ring. Anderson turns to see the distraction and the referee warning for Austin to get down. In the commotion for the referee trying to get Austin down, Anderson walks over and gets involved. Austin has the chair held up and the referee sandwiched between both Anderson and Austin. Austin ends up hitting Anderson with the chair, causing him to stumble backward. It was impossible for the referee to see it as Pillman uses the momentum to roll Anderson up in a pin. The referee turns and counts the pin resulting in Pillman getting the win at 16:15.

Winner: Brian Pillman

Rating: 93

- WCW takes a moment to regroup and have a promotional package video for next month's PPV event - World War 3, where three rings will have 60 wrestlers, all vying for a shot at the World Heavyweight Title at Starrcade! Afterwards we return to the live arena where the announce team talk about the events of the last match. All three are convinced that Austin's interference means he joined the New World Order as Tony informs us that Mean Gene is feverishly working to get Austin backstage. While discussing this, the camera happens to catch a familiar face sitting in the audience......

MissElizabeth96.jpg.14a172a4d5931b05ffc3d26deab1314f.jpg

This, of course, gets them distracted from talking about Austin and gets them to begin wondering why she's sitting in the crowd.....

Rating: 55

SteveAustin96.jpg.16c2f1e5699544041f7803181e48d1d6.jpg

Cameras then go backstage where Mean Gene is "running" up to a departing Steve Austin. Gene catches up to Austin, who continues walking, forcing Mean Gene to do the same. Gene asks if Austin's interference and causing Anderson to lose his match means he's now a member of the NWO. Austin says he's not joining any other groups and is on his own, though he doesn't have a particular problem with Brian Pillman. Austin says he doesn't like Anderson and has a score to settle. Austin says a rattlesnake doesn't care what gets in its way, it's going to strike no matter what, and Anderson's in his way.

Rating: 80

JacquesRougeau972.jpg.b72d45d7fa864607426ed0e1cf38a700.jpgCarlOulette97.jpg.c9be71c19c3864f0eaa89f6554872d7b.jpg vs MarcusBagwell.jpg.e3b803c850b2d5406507f0e0b5b3f5fe.jpgScottyRiggs.jpg.b064aada85f227fc0b80aa9e762f508a.jpg

Now for the match of the night. Just kidding...While it wasn't a bad match, per se, after all the other matches tonight, this pales in comparison. This was another feud that's mostly been taking place on Saturday Night. The American Males had found themselves in quite the rut, unable to pick up victories when they normally should have. This resulted in the Canadians poking fun at the American's. Whatever fire this ended up lighting under the Males, worked. They worked flawlessly as a team and hit many double team moves. The American Males got the win at 8:03.

Winners: American Males

Rating: 58

Mean Gene is backstage once again, this time outside of the NWO locker room. Gene knocks and it just happens that the WCW World Heavyweight Champion answers the door. Gene asks Hogan about the main event and Hollywood replies that Scott Steiner is just like a little bug crawling around on the ground, just waiting to be crushed under the boot of Hollywood. Hogan says that a guy like Steiner, with a million dollar look and a penny for a brain, will never be world champion. Hogan says that Steiner's fantasy land ends tonight with a leg drop!

Rating: 82

World Heavyweight Title

ScottSteiner.jpg.ddd41bab188a669a4cd858ff1fffede1.jpg vs HollywoodHogan.jpg.2a256253707acebe7bc0e14a29145cf1.jpg

Hogan took his time getting to the ring for this one and made Steiner wait as long as possible. By the time the bell rang to start things off, Steiner rushed Hogan, who wasn't quick enough to evade his attack. Steiner began things firmly in control, hitting several power moves and utilizing his strength. Steiner wowed everyone watching as he hit an early press slam on Hogan before yelling in his face. Steiner allowed his emotions to get the best of him though, which allowed Hogan to use his experience to take over. As Hogan slowed things way down and took control, NWO members began to emerge and make their way to ringside.

KevinNash973.jpg.2132e9a13e5237a86325f145a7c7cebf.jpgBrianPillman8.jpg.8b3543da712d48f51c8fa244a64cb219.jpgnWoSting96.jpg.df51a8d658a332bf61d835640651cc6e.jpg

Nash, Pillman, and "Sting" all get to the ringside area and it didn't take long before their impact was felt. Steiner was able to take brief control but when he went to bounce off the ropes, Brian Pillman hit Steiner from behind. Hogan went on to continue his sneaky tactics but as the crowd rallied behind Steiner, he started to make his comeback. Steiner was able to hit a series of suplexes and a powerslam and then sent Hogan into the corner. Steiner rushed in for a corner clothesline, but Hogan smartly pulled the referee in the way. The result was the referee getting crushed between the blow and collapsing down to the mat. With the referee out, the NWO members outside saw their opportunity. Hogan was still reeling and Steiner locked him in to lift him up for the Steiner Screwdriver. Seeing this unfold, Nash, "Sting", and Pillman got in the ring and beat Steiner down. The crowd were booing loudly as Nash lifted Steiner up for the Jacknife, with the assistance of the other members. With it impossible for Steiner to fight the odds, Hogan hits his Leg Drop for good measure and makes the pin. Nash drags the referee over who makes the slow count and hits the final count at 17:09 to mark Hogan the victor. The NWO have their usual celebration and again spray paint the back of Steiner as Halloween Havoc fades to a close.

Winner: Hollywood Hogan

Rating: 92

Final Show Rating: 94

• Like 2

hotline.jpg.76e9a6b693a845e3b8aa55a4990fd61f.jpg

Hello ladies and gentlemen, I'm Mean Gene Okerlund bringing you this week's WCW Hotline Report!

WCW is hot off Halloween Havoc, which was a spectacular event, and now speeds into Monday Nitro to kick start to beginning of November! We are rapidly approaching the end of the year and also the biggest Pay Per View of the year, Starrcade!

As we head toward this months PPV event- World War 3, I can confirm that this event will feature a 60 man battle royal and the winner will earn a shot at the WCW World Heavyweight title at Starrcade. Be sure to call your local cable provider and order this show ahead of time!

We saw a major return to WCW last night at Halloween Havoc as everyone noticed Miss Elizabeth sitting in the crowd. What is she doing back in WCW and will we hear from her this week on Nitro?

Speaking of debuts, WCW has also signed another major superstar and I'm told they are also in talks with signing another big name away from the World Wrestling Federation.

Here is the lineup for this week's Monday Nitro!

WCWMondayNitro2.jpg.b9b25fd70f96aaf023ccf1cf9bfec42a.jpg

Week 1, November 1996

LIVE from the Hartford Civic Center - Hartford, CT

Scott Steiner vs Kevin Nash

Scott Armstrong vs Wrath

Faces of Fear vs Paul Roma & Perry Saturn

"Sting" vs Chavo Guerrero Jr

Lance Storm vs Dean Malenko

• 2 weeks later...

WCWMondayNitro2.jpg.b1c84eb80ea049a33e7da6c99ee76b07.jpg

Week 1, November 1996

LIVE from the Hartford Civic Center - Hartford, CT

Attendance: 12,813

WCW Monday Nitro kicks off the month of November loud and energized as Eric Bischoff is once again at the commentary booth welcoming everyone. He sits alongside Bobby Heenan and Mike Tenay as all three men run down the events from Halloween Havoc, just 24 hours ago. Bischoff tells us that new WCW World Tag Team Champions are crowned in Harlem Heat and a new Television champion was crowned last night to end the tournament, as Diamond Dallas Page became the new champion. NWO members Brian Pillman and Hollywood Hogan successfully defended their championships, though maybe by the skin of their teeth. Arn Anderson gave a heck of a challenge to Pillman and Steiner came close to winning the world title for the first time. Bischoff also says there were some surprises last night as well, as Miss Elizabeth was observed sitting in the crowd. Bobby Heenan says that it's going to be interesting to see what Elizabeth is doing in WCW but one thing's for sure; Wherever Miss Elizabeth is, the Macho Man isn't far behind. Bischoff says that's a name we haven't heard in awhile, though right Bobby is. Bischoff also says not to bother tuning into WWF Raw tonight unless you're looking to torture yourself. To detail just how terrible the entire show is, Bischoff lets everyone know that the main event is the 123 Kid and Ahmed Johnson teaming up against Acid Burn (Dutch Mantel & Shane Douglas) in a cage. Nope, the action is all right here on Nitro and it's LIVE, where you never know what's going to happen!

BrianPillman8.jpg.664dc1f7ef9775e9ebe54697d8725c8e.jpgHollywoodHogan8.jpg.ffb35da334ec774d68ac62d5501076eb.jpgnWoSting96.jpg.d13f5e1668ebefdd405b40776a7d6e05.jpgKevinNash973.jpg.f712f6651a1182d7c5dee109e0ffe767.jpg

Cameras go outside the arena where a long limo is pulling into the underground garage area. The stretch comes to a stop and the driver quickly exits to come around to the back where he opens the door. The NWO (minus Scott Hall) all exit and Pillman and Hollywood have their respective titles with them. Bischoff mentions how "Sting" filled in last night for Scott Hall in a losing effort to defend the tag team titles. Bobby says that misfortune for the NWO turned into success for WCW as the tag team belts are now securely back with WCW in the hands of Harlem Heat. The NWO don't appear to be too bothered by the loss of gold though, as they're all smiles and celebrations as they exit the limo and head in toward the arena.

Lance Storm vs Dean Malenko

LanceStorm.jpg.bc9dda142ea8eb9f45353b6fb9f138f0.jpg vs DeanMalenko4.jpg.dc0d1ce24ca0071fd012bacfbcf8e9b3.jpg

Francine made her way out with Dean Malenko and the pair looked extremely focused as they stepped in the ring. Francine helped Malenko out of his vest before climbing back out and the bell rang to begin the opening match. Storm took it straight to Malenko and held on as best he could but with Malenko's ruthless streak continuing and Francine getting involved at every opportunity, the younger wrestler had a tough time. The match went for an impressive amount of time though, and Malenko made Storm tap out to the Texas Cloverleaf at 15:33.

Winner: Dean Malenko

Rating: 67

GeneOkerlund6.jpg.407e053362fb1f564983104b97af36fb.jpg

BookerT942.jpg.cbb87fdfbfa02101a788bd6a3f55b034.jpgSherriMartel5.jpg.6c3c3fc975a0461aaf6e170791d836a4.jpgStevieRay942.jpg.71f40fb00929a03676a7b00c7bff2f1a.jpg

Mean Gene is backstage for the first time tonight and he's with the newly crowned WCW Tag Team Champions Harlem Heat. They're on each side of their manager, Sensuous Sherri and they all look to be pretty happy. Booker T securely holds the belt while Mean Gene does the introduction. In response, Booker T says that Harlem Heat have the titles back and the duo now sits back atop the food chain in WCW. He says they'll take on any challengers and if the Faces of Fear want some of Harlem Heat again, they aren't hard to find. Stevie Ray says that it doesn't matter who wants a shot at the titles, Harlem Heat will run through them. In his opinion, they never should've lost the titles to the Outsiders so now they'll just pick up where they left off.

Rating: 78

RicFlair8.jpg.95714a88dbc0e9f913b27ef2a907ac80.jpgSteveAustin96.jpg.0b9ea793bbcc2af1281f7c6d0cbac1af.jpg

Nitro returns from a commercial break to a backstage scene of Ric Flair and Steve Austin beating the living hell out of one another. It's clear they've already been fighting for some time as items around them is all disorganized and tossed. Neither man is backing down and dishing out as much punishment to the other as they can. If there was any thought that their intense battle from last night's Halloween Havoc settled anything, this set that all aside. Officials finally rush in to try and break up the chaotic scene as cameras go back out to the arena.

"Sting" vs Chavo Guerrero Jr.

nWoSting96.jpg.d13f5e1668ebefdd405b40776a7d6e05.jpg vs ChavoGuerreroJr5.jpg.2460fd066c99975ea37f95b74df6d75a.jpg

Poor, poor Chavo. He was hoping to have his fortunes turn around in this match against the imposter Sting. To date, Chavo has only won 3 matches so far in 1996 with the last one coming in a pre-show match on Main Event against Sgt. Craig Pittman in August. His other two victories weren't even in WCW - they were at independent shows at the beginning of the year. He's going to have to try in a different match, however, because this one did not go to Chavo's desire. The imposter used all of the real Sting's moveset and dominated Chavo. A flying cross body, a face smash, Stinger Splash, and then Scorpion Deathlock later, Chavo tapped out at 6:04.

Winner: "Sting"

Rating: 68

EddieGuerrero6.jpg.290730eff252e13ae4aa583f1e237163.jpg

Mean Gene is in the middle of the ring this time as he introduces his guest - Eddie Guerrero. Eddie walks slowly to the ring and sneers at the fans on his way. Upon entering the ring and meeting Mean Gene, the music fades out and Gene gets down to business, saying last night at Halloween Havoc, Eddie Guerrero had an opportunity to end the career of Ricky "the Dragon" Steamboat, but came up short as he submitted. Eddie cuts Mean Gene off;

Eddie: I will not allow you to stand out here and make false claims, Mean Gene Okerlund!! I will not allow you to do the same thing that Ricky Steamboat did last night!!! He defamed Eddie Guerrero, he tarnished his long and illustrated career, and he proved just what kind of man he really is! Ricky Steamboat didn't beat me last night fair and square!!!

No....

As a matter of fact, Ricky Steamboat is nothing more than a cheating coward, and I have the proof of it!!! Play the video right now!!!

- The ending of last night's match begins to play on the big screen in the arena. Eddie is locked tight into a Boston Crab and the camera is zoomed in close on his face. Eddie is flailing wildly in pain and grabbing at his head and hair before slapping the mat with his hand, giving up. The bell sounds and the referee raises the arm of Ricky Steamboat before the video cuts off. -

See, right there, Mean Gene, I wasn't giving up!!! I was trying to hit the mat to get the crowd to rally behind me!! I knew that if I could get the fans to rally behind me, I would be able to fight through the pain and get out of the hold, but the referee didn't give me a chance!!

Mean Gene: Oh give me a break!!!

No, it's true Gene! He never asked me if I wanted to give up, he just rang the bell!!! All I wanted was the fans support! But he never gave me that chance! I was cheated out of that match, and one more thing that you might have missed on that video, Mean Gene...When Ricky Steamboat had me locked in the hold, he lost his balance and grabbed onto the top rope. That right there should have resulted in the referee breaking the submission hold, but he didn't! Ricky Steamboat cheated his way to winning and to saving his career, because he knew that in a fair and legitimate match against me, he would lose and then find out who the better man really is! Ricky Steamboat is a coward, a cheat, and he's going to wish that I ended his career last night because he's just tarnished everything he fought for in his career! I promise you, Mean Gene, and I promise all these fans, Eddie Guerrero will have the last laugh when it's all over!!

Rating: 99

Faces of Fear vs Paul Roma & Perry Saturn

Meng6.jpg.eec2d31f6a95d4a95e2ce5027d7155fc.jpgTheBarbarian3.jpg.e8b5ded1bc8bc875463bce3deeec1bf9.jpg vs PaulRoma0.jpg.36c5ca1c97f5b2c59942ab9da7e2d7b6.jpgPerrySaturn98.jpg.19aa987ad73ca0533f228227f06bb4e9.jpg

Even though we haven't seen the duo of Roma and Saturn on Nitro since August, they have been teaming up frequently on pre-shows and Saturday Night and Main Event broadcasts. They've even begun to form a decent team in that time frame but tonight's task is no ordinary one. Saturn was the more stand-out of the team but as tough as he is, he had trouble dealing with Meng and the Barbarian. Meng ended up getting the win at 10:17 after locking the Tongan Deathgrip in on Paul Roma.

Winners: Faces of Fear

Rating: 66

DDP.jpg.8933ab3250f19c531cfd20a5fdba72c7.jpgKimberlyNitro7.jpg.f0d441c5129eaa6ed6b8ff479d8f1e4c.jpg

Mean Gene is staying busy tonight as he brings out another guest to the ring. This time it's the newly crowned Television champion Diamond Dallas Page as he makes his way out onto the stage. After his diamond taunt and fireworks explode, the Diamond Doll joins him at the end of the stage ramp. They get in the ring and Mean Gene asks what DDP's plans are now that he's a 2-time TV champion? DDP says that he's a fighting champion, and he's the people's champion, and now that he has a second opportunity with the title, he's not going to waste it. He will defend the title against anyone who wants to feel the BANG!!!

DeanMalenko4.jpg.dc0d1ce24ca0071fd012bacfbcf8e9b3.jpgFrancine.jpg.ef488da92b3f27c36f848a0e8af894dd.jpg

As if on cue, Dean Malenko's music begins to play once more in the arena. Malenko and Francine make their way out onto the stage but stop short there. Malenko has a microphone and DDP and Mean Gene turn and face them on the ramp. Malenko gives a sarcastic laugh and says he's glad to hear that DDP's a fighting champion and will take on anyone, because Dean Malenko should have the first shot at that title, seeing that DDP screwed him out of the tournament. Malenko says he wants the match at World War 3 and if DDP isn't careful, not only will he take the title, but he might also take DDP's woman.

DDP, obviously angered by the last comment, gives his own sarcastic laugh in the way of Malenko and Francine.

DDP: You want it?!?! YOU GOT IT!

Rating: 77

Scott Armstrong vs Wrath

ScottArmstrong.jpg.52cee89e369657d18725503fab4c81e1.jpg vs BryanClark3.jpg.d131c18c10596a5dfdea1761a5d3a4ce.jpg

Armstrong's fate was about the same as our friend Chavo, only it was much more brutal and much more unforgiving. Wrath easily dealt with him in 5:34, finishing it off with a Meltdown.

Winner: Wrath

Rating: 59

JacquesRougeau972.jpg.6b784861fd2b9796281f2b6926e5fe16.jpgCarlOulette95.jpg.269005f5255960d02c9ca34a1475e20f.jpg vs MarcusBagwell.jpg.c501f73558e0600d148129807264f680.jpgScottyRiggs.jpg.eb6796957a282c13db487adadbb46cb2.jpg

These two teams faced each other just the night before at Halloween Havoc, but this match ended up being quite a bit better actually. In recent weeks, the American Males seemed to have been on different pages with each other and hoped to change their luck starting at Halloween Havoc. They ended up victorious and hoped to keep their good luck going. The Males began the match full of energy and great team work while the Canadians seemed off and constantly taking a full attack from the Males. This continued all the way through as the American Males were on top of their game tonight. Scotty Riggs got the victory at 9:54 with the AmeriPlex.

Winners: American Males

Rating: 65

ArnAnderson1.jpg.7f91ca6bc3c8d194475d48e0286e8af8.jpg

Mean Gene's busy night continues following another commercial break. This time, Mean Gene is backstage in the interview area and the Enforcer Arn Anderson is standing with him. Gene briefly touches on Anderson coming up short in his effort last night to win the US title and goes on to say that with the Horsemen no longer a thing, where does Arn Anderson find himself fitting in with the rest of WCW?

Double A: Ya know Gene, there comes a time in every man's life where he has to sit back and reflect on his past and his past actions. A lot of times that past and those actions contain a lot of regrets, but there's one thing Arn Anderson doesn't have - And that's regrets! Now there's been plenty of moments in my life where I have disappointment, and last night was one of em.....But as disappointing as it was that I didn't win the US title last night, let me just tell you how great it felt to get my hands on that viper in the grass Brian Pillman! But as far as I'm concerned, that's the past and that past has been handled. See, there's been something else that's caught my eye and ever since then, I've been paying just a bit more attention, Gene. Just what that thing is, I can't say just yet, but it's something that caused the little hairs on the back of my neck to stand up and tell me that something isn't right; something's just a bit off.....And when the time is right, Mean Gene???? I'll make sure to let the entire world know, but as of right now, Arn Anderson's ears are perked up and I'm paying attention.

Rating: 87

Scott Steiner vs Kevin Nash

ScottSteiner.jpg.7513432031b9da910a1ded5d89b9d9ef.jpg vs KevinNash973.jpg.f712f6651a1182d7c5dee109e0ffe767.jpg

Both men are coming off Halloween Havoc losses and both men were looking to change their momentum with this match. Unfortunately for Scott Steiner, his task at hand was much more difficult with the NWO looming in the shadows, or in this case, right in front of him. The world champion Hollywood Hogan accompanied Nash to the ring, which only signaled he would make his presence known whenever possible. The match itself was very competitive and evenly matched. Nash wasn't used to being in the ring with someone to match his power, if not overpower him, and Steiner stood up to the brutal attacks from both his opponent and the outside annoyance. Steiner tried his best but it was clear the odds were stacked against him. Hogan attempted to interfere one too many times when the referee caught him and reluctantly called for the disqualification at 12:03.

Winner by disqualification: Scott Steiner

Rating: 90

In typical WCW fashion though, things didn't end just there. The bell rang despite the continuing attack by Hogan and Nash, who didn't really care about the DQ finish. Hogan held up Steiner to allow Nash to run off the ropes and hit a big boot. Steiner dropped to the mat and Hogan saw it as a great opportunity to hit his Leg Drop for good measure. Hogan hit another one and then Hogan began to pull a couple of cans of spray paint from his tights. As Hogan and Nash began shaking the cans, the crowd came to life. The cameras pan out to catch what the crowd's cheering for just in time....

LexLuger96.jpg.0feb8ace95b554873356942f75fe7576.jpg

Lex Luger dives in the ring which promptly causes Hogan and Nash to bail outside. Trash continues to be thrown in the ring by the fans as Luger checks on Steiner and brings him to his feet. Nitro fades out to black with the standoff between Luger and Steiner in the ring and Hollywood Hogan and Kevin Nash outside on the floor.

Rating: 97

Final Show Rating: 92

• Like 3

hotline.jpg.2ceb8b9f636786af0e7125437bc03c92.jpg

Welcome everyone to the WCW Hotline Report, I'm Mean Gene Okerlund!

The month of November wasted no time kicking off in WCW as we head into the second week! Tensions continue to run high between WCW and the NWO and this past Monday on Nitro, Scott Steiner felt the wrath come down! Thankfully for Steiner, Lex Luger ran in to save him from a brutal beating at the hands of the New World Order. That has established this week's main event, which I will get to later.

There is apparently a new couple in the WWF. Terri Powers was on a radio show earlier this week and announced that she and Billy Gunn are an item.

As WCW heads toward the World War 3 Pay Per View event this month, there will be several signings made in order to fill out the 60 man battle royal. I'm told the majority of these signings will be short term, one night deals, but WCW is also looking at several wrestlers for potential try-outs. Some of these contracts may be up to 6 months in order to evaluate the talent.

I have been told that WCW has signed a wrestler to an exclusive contract and there is yet one more major name in the middle of contract negotiations.

WCW has reportedly come to terms with a talent trade with New Japan Pro Wrestling. WCW will loan the Nature Boy Ric Flair and NJPW will loan Keiji Mutoh, better known to US fans as the Great Muta. I'm told the loan period is only for a few matches for each man and the exposure for both fan markets will benefit both companies. Look for the Great Muta to appear on WCW television soon.

Here is the Nitro lineup for this week! As a result of last week's ending, it set the match up for this week's main event!

WCWMondayNitro2.jpg.289769f1aa20d79f7959a2da1bca2311.jpg

Week 2, November 1996

LIVE from the Key Arena - Seattle, WA

Lex Luger & Scott Steiner vs Hollywood Hogan & Kevin Nash

Mike Barton vs Wrath

Perry Saturn & Paul Roma vs The Amazing French Canadians

American Males vs John Tenta & Big Bubba Rogers

Alex Wright vs Lance Storm

Dean Malenko vs Chavo Guerrero Jr.

Lex Luger & Scott Steiner vs Hollywood Hogan & Kevin Nash

Mike Barton vs Wrath

Perry Saturn & Paul Roma vs The Amazing French Canadians