WCW 1993 : A New World of Sport

opGeXZk.jpg

February 1994 : Week 1

b9fI6vP.jpg

ECWA is bringing in Bob Armstrong and Tommy Angel.

The Canadian Rocky Mountain Wrestling company is said to be on the verge of bankruptcy. Based out of Alberta, the competition against WCW-funded W4WA has virtually eliminated all growth potential for the tiny company.

00IofDH.jpg

Satoru Asako defeated Richard Slinger to win the AJPW World Jr Heavyweight Championship for the first time.

The team of Solid Gold (Rico Suave and Jose Estrada Jr) defeated Dancing Wolf & Hercules Ayala to win the AWF World Tag Team Championships for the second time.

HBMVhmK.jpg

Lupus, Ovette, Misterioso Jr, The Dominator, Mike Kehner, Mike Tenay and El Diamante have all entered the wrestling world.

tLPXx8m.jpg

W4WA Canadian Grand Prix Round 3/23; Card One

Gerry Morrow (2-1-0) def. Keith Hart (0-3-0)
Richard Charland (2-1-0) def. Dick Slater (1-2-0)
Bruiser Bedlam (1-2-0) def. Canadian Tiger (1-2-0)
Danny Davis (3-0-0) def. Greg Valentine (1-2-0)
Owen Hart (3-0-0) def. Buddy Hart (1-2-0)
Lance Storm (1-0-2) and Buddy Landel (2-0-1) went to a time limit draw.

Worthwhile Notes:

A hype video was shown building Jericho vs Kid Kash as the main event of next weeks card.
Regal sat down with Bockwinkel to discuss next steps after gaining his revenge on Buddy Hart.
MVP : Lance Storm

Xh1mINV.jpg

LPWA Women's Grand Prix Round 2/19; Card Two

Bison Kimura (0-0-2) and Cynthia Moreno (0-0-2) went to a time limit draw.
Denise Storm (1-0-1) def. Shinobu Kandori (1-1-0)
Bull Nakano (2-0-0) def. Terri Powers (0-2-0)
Manami Toyota (1-1-0) def. Jacqueline (0-2-0)
Akira Hokuto (2-0-0) def. Bambi (0-2-0)

Worthwhile Notes:

Shinobu Kandori competed despite a kidney injury. It was a talking point throughout the match.
After winning, Nakano continued to assault Terri Powers. Lioness Asuka joined in when ‘Florida’s Finest’ Debbie Malenko. This completed Malenko’s turn.
Madusa came out to announce a replacement for her match against Penelope Paradise due to her broken tailbone. Candi Devine and Penelope Paradise come out and mock her broken ass. In a bit of surprising behaviour, Madusa plays up some sympathy with the audience. She then announces that her replacement will be Megumi Kudo, a babyface joshi that the crowd pops for.
MVP : Akira Hokuto

dpoCIZF.jpg

SSW Division 4 Grand Prix Round 2/23; Card Two

Brazo De Plata (1-0-0) def. Chaz Taylor (0-2-0)
Ice Train (1-0-1) def. Paul Levesque (1-1-0)
Frankie Lancaster (1-1-0) def. Stan Lee (0-2-0)
El Dandy (2-0-0) def. Bruiser X Mastino (1-1-0)
Jack Victory (1-1-0) def. Doc Dean (0-1-1)
Blue Demon Jr (1-0-1) and Jerry Lynn (1-0-1) went to a time limit draw.

Worthwhile Notes:

MVP : El Dandy

AYqrmkw.jpg

PWFG Japanese Grand Prix Round 2/23; Card One

Shoichi Funaki (1-1-0) def. Minoru Tanaka (0-2-0)
Scott Armstrong (1-0-1) def. Jerry Flynn (0-2-0)
Gary Albright (1-0-1) def. Mark Starr (0-2-0)
Norman Smiley (2-0-0) def. Satoshi Kojima (0-2-0)
Doug Furnas (1-0-1) def. Tatsutoshi Goto (1-1-0)
Minoru Suzuki (2-0-0) def. Abdullah the Butcher (0-2-0)

Notes:

MVP : Minoru Suzuki

• Like 1

9fMJ3Fq.jpg

tBEcKDL.jpg

It’s the beginning of February, 1994, and it WCW is hailing from Charlotte North Carolina! WCW Saturday Night is brought to you by Pink Dream, the official soft drink of WCW. After an intro video of WCW’s Premier League, the camera’s take us inside WCW’s neon-lit blue and pink studios where we are standing by with the WCW Analysis Team, Dusty Rhodes, Harley Race and Paul E Dangerously!

m7hmEdg.jpg
We are live from Charlotte, North Carolina - the heart of Flair country - and it’s the middle of Round Two! Tonight, we have three spectacular Premier League matches on tap. First up, it’s The Submission Supreme, Nobuhiko Takada, taking on Powerhouse Simmons. Then, we Flamingo Corp, represented by ‘Sugar’ Stan Hansen goes to war with ‘The Total Package’ Lex Luger. And finally, in the main event - it’s ‘The Man’ Ric Flair taking the centre stage in his hometown as he faces off against his former stablemate, ‘The Widowmaker’ Barry Windham. Boys, who are you takin’?
Well… Mista Race… we’ll be kicking it off with da Powerhouse who I think will overcome Player Enterprises and Takada… Takada is good - but his recent distractions with Muta may bite him in the ass… Then, I think Luger overcomes Sugar Stan - Luger is too hot at the moment… And lastly, I hope Flair chokes in his home town… He’s been riding on a high horse and I think that Barry knocks him off that high horse!
yQXPnPd.jpg
Someone aught to knock Dusty off of his horse! Takada may be distracted by Muta, but I think he’s got a point to prove right now, and unless that cheating, painted-up miscreant gets involved in the match, I think Simmons gets taken out tonight. Then we got Luger and Hansen. As much as I hate how WCW has dealt with Flamingo Corps interferences, I would be remiss if I didn’t acknowledge its success. Hansen over Luger. Finally - the main event. In what world does Barry beat Flair? The guy just got squashed like a bug by Hogan. If you think for a second, that Barry is rebounding from that and beating Flair? Next question.
HwXAX8e.jpg
m7hmEdg.jpg
Yeah, I’m with Paulie across the board tonight, especially that main event, especially in Flair’s hometown. Well boys, before we send it down to the ring, is there anything else you want to go over?
A little birdie told me… That the WCW Grand Prix Champion, ‘Ravishing’ Rick Ruuu… Has demanded a chance to address his adoring public… His words, not mine. Plus, will we find out who will team with The Great Muta at Superbrawl against Player Enterprises?
yQXPnPd.jpg
And, tonight on the greatest talk show segment in all of professional wrestling, The Danger Zone, I will sit down with two men from Division Two, Michael Hayes and Kevin Sullivan. Two men who are not where they thought they would be this year. What will they have to say? Well, the time for talk is up - let’s send the folks in TV land down to the ring, for our opening contest!
HwXAX8e.jpg

The neon night lights strobe in the set as the cameras zoom out and the analyst group continue to chat after their microphones are cut. Saturday Night theme plays and we cut to live shots of the ring and the crowd. WCW Saturday Night starts now!

PzJCc3U.jpeg

Takada makes his way to the ring with Player Enterprises. He’s got an intensely calm aura to him, accentuated by Teddy Long flapping his gums the entire way down the ramp. Takada's entrance was accompanied by a haunting new theme, and his usually stoic demeanor was replaced with a cold, calculating glare. Out next is fan favourite, Powerhouse Simmons.

Yw8oqxT.jpg
Folks, this is a clash of styles like no other. Nobuhiko Takada, once known for his technical finesse, has taken a darker turn. His newfound aggression is palpable, and tonight, he faces a powerhouse in Ron Simmons. This is a test for both men, and it'll be interesting to see how this change in Takada's demeanor impacts the outcome.
For sure, Jim. Takada's transformation is raising eyebrows, and Simmons, a seasoned competitor, will need to adapt to this new level of violence, much like how he did recently with Kevin Sullivan. You know, this match is a canvas for these two athletes to paint their own narrative, and and decide how the beginning of their seasons unfold.
1JITbbY.jpg
As the match unfolded, Takada lived up to the hype surrounding his newfound aggression. The usually calculated striker unleashed a barrage of kicks, showcasing a level of violence that took Simmons by surprise. Simmons, known for his resilience, tried to weather the storm, but Takada's unrelenting assault began to take its toll. The match became a back-and-forth struggle, with Simmons trying to impose his power while Takada continued his relentless onslaught.

In a shocking turn of events, referee Nick Patrick, concerned for Simmons' well-being, decided to stop the match. Takada's brutal kicks to the midsection had left Simmons unable to defend himself effectively, prompting Patrick to make the difficult decision to end the contest. The referee signalled for the bell, declaring Takada the winner by referee stoppage.

Player Enterprises enters the ring and Takada seems to have elevated himself to mob boss status, as Bigelow, Taylor and Teddy Long are celebrating while Takada remains stoic. Meanwhile, Simmons is tended to by medical staff and he spits out some blood, talked up as internal bleeding while JR puts over Nick Patrick’s decision to stop the match.

Nobuhiko Takada (1-1-0) defeated Ron Simmons (0-1-1) in 14:54 by way of referee stoppage when Nick Patrick decided Simmons could no longer continue. Takada improves to 1-0-1 all time against Simmons all time.

PzJCc3U.jpeg

Known for his barefoot wrestling style, Kevin exuded a intense demeanor as he made his way to the ring. On the other side, the flashy entrance of Diamond Dallas Page accompanied by The Diamond Doll showcased his recent rise in the wrestling ranks as he aligned himself with the legendary Hulk Hogan

Yw8oqxT.jpg
Folks, we're in for a treat tonight. Kevin Von Erich, a true wrestling legend, against the rapidly rising Diamond Dallas Page. The contrast in their styles and backgrounds adds an extra layer of intrigue to this contest. The question on everyone’s mind though is, will we see Kevin’s dangerous punt kick maneuver?
Absolutely, Jim. Kevin Von Erich is a living legend, and his barefoot style is as unique as they come. But let's not underestimate DDP. He's been on a roll lately, and his association with Hulk Hogan is certainly elevating his status in the wrestling world.
1JITbbY.jpg
The match unfolded with both wrestlers showcasing their distinct styles. Kevin's barefoot kicks and technical prowess were countered by DDP's flamboyant offense and the occasional distraction from The Diamond Doll at ringside. The story of the match saw Kevin trying to ground DDP, while Page attempted to use his size to overpower Kevin.

Dallas goes for a neckbreaker, but Kevin trips him up and immediately capitalizes with the barefoot punt kick. This move was executed with precision, and the impact left DDP stunned. Kevin capitalized on the opportunity and secured the pinfall, emphasizing the newfound danger of his barefoot arsenal.

The post-match scene saw Kevin Von Erich celebrating his victory, acknowledging the cheers from the crowd. The dazed DDP was tended to by The Diamond Doll. As Kevin raised his hand in victory, the barefoot punt kick had not only secured the win but also solidified its reputation as a dangerous and potentially game-changing finishing move in the arsenal of the wrestling legend.

Kevin Von Erich (2-0-0) defeated Diamond Dallas Page (1-1-0) in 15:25 by way of pin fall. The all time record is tied at one win each.

We go backstage to a set designated for Gary Hart, who is standing by reporting on the results of WCW World Wide from earlier this week, while results from Friday Night’s B-show, WCW Main Event, scrolls on the bottom of the screen.

ZPkCtDG.jpg
In Division Two action, Tully Blanchard (2-0-0) defeated Dan Severn (1-1-0) after scoring a quick inside cradle. And in Tag Team action, Miracle Violence Connection (2-0-0) were victorious when Steve Williams and Terry Gordy defeated the Rock N Roll Express (0-2-0) In other news, Hulk Hogan announced his participation in the 1994 Superbrawl Battle Royale.

Main Event #101: The Moondogs defeated Bobby Kay and Leo Burke | Penelope Paradise defeated Rockin Robin | Blue Demon Jr defeated Mike Samson | Jeff Jarrett & Disorderly Conduct defeated Al Perez and The Public Enemy

Gary was then joined by The Steiner Brothers who hyped the main event of next week’s WCW World Wide when they take on The Young Pistols. The Steiner Brothers say they are back in their element and planning on picking up where they left off, to win the division.

GzJCDYE.jpg

HwXAX8e.jpg
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Danger Zone, the place where things get hotter than the crowded Manhattan Subway! I'm your host, the one and only Paul E Dangerously, and tonight we've building to a showdown that's bound to leave you on the edge of your seats. In one corner, the Freebird himself, Michael "P.S." Hayes, and in the other, the devious mastermind, Kevin Sullivan. Now, let's talk about this upcoming match between you two. Hayes, you're stepping into singles competition with a rookie manager, Shane Douglas, nursing an injury. What's the strategy, my man?
Well, Paul, I've been around the block a few times, and I've had my fair share of battles. Singles competition ain't new to me. As for Shane, sure, he's a rookie, but the kid's got heart, and he's learning from the best. Together, we're gonna show Sullivan here that Badstreet is more dangerous than ever.
H7BeDby.jpg” width=
HwXAX8e.jpg
That's a bold claim, Hayes. But let me tell you, Sullivan's no stranger to chaos. Kevin, what do you think about Michael Hayes stepping out of his comfort zone and bringing a greenhorn manager into the mix? Are you ready for the Badstreet boogie, or do you think Hayes is out of his depth?
Paul, I thrive on chaos and uncertainty. Hayes may think he's got the upper hand, but Badstreet won't be enough to save him. As for the rookie manager, well, I'll exploit every weakness. Hayes, you're stepping into my domain, and there's no escape.
HuJAYBq.jpg” width=
HwXAX8e.jpg
Hayes, Sullivan, the stage is set. May the best man emerge victorious. Folks, don't you dare miss this epic showdown next week on WCW Saturday Night, and remember, stay dangerous!

PzJCc3U.jpeg

‘Sugar’ Stan Hansen comes out joined by Flamingo Corp, and he is sure to warn Scotty Flamingo and Haku not to cost him another victory. Out next is Lex Luger, who gets a massive pop before Sting joins him to another pop on their way to the ring.

Yw8oqxT.jpg
Here are two big men with very different body types. Luger is a bodybuilder through and through, while big Stan Hansen is thick and robust. But don’t let Hansen’s less-chiseled frame take away from your impression - he’s a human boulder that exudes raw, untamed energy. This is sure to be bowling-shoe ugly.
I see these two guys and the physical differences and can’t help but think about the style differences that accompanies it. Luger’s power moves are crisp and refined, while Hansen’s offence is more like a shotgun blast, hitting and bruising you all over.
1JITbbY.jpg
The momentum swung back and forth throughout the match, with Hansen's brawling style clashing against Luger's athleticism and resilience. Luger, playing the valiant face, absorbed Hansen's punishing blows and managed to mount comebacks with a combination of high-impact slams and close-fisted punches. The crowd rallied behind Luger, cheering him on as he fought against the relentless aggression of Hansen.

It’s absolute chaos as Haku and Flamingo brawl with Sting at ringside when Luger, Hansen and referee Nick Patrick have a massive collision that leaves Patrick down. Flamingo sees the opportunity and sends Haku into the ring… But the lights go out! They come back on and Muta is in the ring! He sprays Haku with Poison Mist and then evades a charging Hansen. Haku then bumps into Hansen and because he’s blind, he kicks him in the chest! Luger takes advantage, hitting the Attitude Adjustment Piledriver and securing the pin fall.

After the match, Hansen is pissed off as Flamingo Corp is trying to calm him down as he charges up the ramp and to the back. Meanwhile, in the ring, Luger shakes hands with Muta and it’s implied that Luger and Sting will in fact be Muta’s partners at Superbrawl against Player Enterprises.

Lex Luger (2-0-0) defeated Stan Hansen (0-1-1) in 16:57 by way of pin fall. This was their first ever match up against one another.

PzJCc3U.jpeg

The Fantastics make their way to the ring and in a new schtick, Tommy Rogers goes to high five fans and Bobby Fulton becomes overly protective of Tommy’s bum shoulder.

Yw8oqxT.jpg
We know about the injury that young Tommy Rogers is rebounding from, but it is worrying that in their first Grand Prix match back, their opponents were able to successfully target his shoulder and win the match as a result.
You know, Jim, Blue Panther is renowned in Mexico for applying a legendary fujiwara armbar. It wouldn’t surprise me if that is the strategy tonight.
1JITbbY.jpg
There’s a ton of story-telling on display here, as Fulton plays up that he’s trying to protect Tommy, but consistently puts himself in harmful positions. The team of Solar and Blue Panther look strong here, and seem to be confused by the antics of Rogers and Fulton.

Fulton gets gassed and is trying to put up a fight, but gets knocked into his own corner. Tommy tags himself in and fires up with a clothesline that sends Solar to the floor. He goes for one on Blue Panther, but is caught and immediately put into the Fujiwara Armbar. Tommy Rogers taps out immediately.

Bobby Fulton flies into the ring and cowers over top of Tommy like an over-protective brother. He’s yelling obscenities at the luchadors, who try to convince him there is no ill intentions… Solar and Blue Panther leave with their hands raised high, albeit a bit of confusion surrounding their opponents.

PS Lucha (2-0-0) defeated The Fantastics (0-2-0) in 16:46 by way of submission when Tommy Rogers tapped out to Blue Panther. This was their first ever match up against each other.

JGgmXE7.jpg

The title graphic shows for WCW’s Inside the Squared Circle segment, and the show pivots to a studio segment featuring the legendary Jesse ‘The Body’ Ventura, and Magnum TA. At the bottom of the screen, a news ticker hypes next weeks WCW subsidiary shows.

3wSc89I.jpg
Well, Jesse, the hot topic on everyone's lips is Kevin Von Erich's new finishing move – the 'Punt Kick.' Some say it's revolutionary, while others argue it's too dangerous for the ring. It's sparked quite the debate in the wrestling community. Look, the 'Punt Kick' is undeniably a dangerous move, but let's not forget we're in the world of professional wrestling. It's all about high stakes and intense action. Kevin Von Erich has brought something fresh to the table, and it's getting people talking.
Talking, you say? Magnum, we're not talking about the latest gossip; we're talking about potential career-ending kicks to the head! This 'Punt Kick' is a liability. Wrestlers' careers are on the line, and we can't just let Von Erich go around kicking people's heads off!
oOKr00n.jpg
3wSc89I.jpg
Jesse, you've been in the ring; you know that every new move is met with skepticism. But innovation is what keeps this business alive. The 'Punt Kick' is a calculated risk, and if executed properly, it can be an exciting addition to Kevin Von Erich's arsenal.
Calculated risk? Magnum, I've been in the ring, and I know firsthand the toll this business takes on a body. Adding a move like the 'Punt Kick' is like playing Russian roulette with your opponent's skull. It's not innovation; it's a reckless endangerment of lives!
oOKr00n.jpg
3wSc89I.jpg
Alright, well that’s all the time we have for tonight… We’re sending you down to WCW Champion, Rick Rude, who has requested this time.

PWFG Round 2, Card 2 featuring Hans Nijman versus Akira Maeda | SSW Round 3, Card 1, featuring Jerry Lynn versus El Hijo del Santo | PPW Round 2, Card 2 featuring Rayo de Jalisco Jr versus Rick Titan | WFWA Round 3, Card 2 featuring Kid Kash versus Chris Jericho

Rude takes a moment to admire his own physique, referring to himself as the epitome of perfection. He then mocks the audience for not being able to attain the same level of physical excellence. He declares that he's in a league of his own, untouchable and unrivaled. Rude boasts about his reign as the WCW Champion, emphasizing his superiority over the entire roster.

Next week’s Saturday Night main event will be Big Van Vader taking on Hulk Hogan for the first time ever. Duelling promos aired from the two competitors.

Yw8oqxT.jpg
Hogan, Hogan, Hogan... chuckles menacingly The time has come for you to face the inevitability of your own demise. For years, you've been prancing around, playing hero to the masses, basking in the cheers of your little Hulkamaniacs. But now, you step into the darkness – the realm of Big Van Vader. You've been living in a fantasy, Hogan, thinking you're invincible, thinking you're the immortal one. But I'm here to shatter that illusion, to expose you for the mortal man that you are. The time for games is over; the time for reckoning has arrived.
Let me tell you something, Jack. You may be The Mastadon and you may hold the longest running win streak in WCW histories. But I’ve slammed giants in front of one-hundred thousands screaming Hulkamaniacs and I’ve carried wrestling on by shoulders like a backpack. So whatcha gonna do, brother, when Hulkamania runs wild on you?
1JITbbY.jpg

PzJCc3U.jpeg

After both teams made their ways to the ring, Jushin Liger and Ricky Steamboat made their way out onto the stage with a couple folding chairs, where they set up camp to watch the match.

Yw8oqxT.jpg
The team of Scott Hall and Kevin Nash are considered to be the biggest underachievers in WCW. They hold the most wins in tag team competition history for our young Grand Prix, but haven’t been able to achieve promotion. They are looking to finally break past that barrier and step up to the main event.
Absolutely, Jim. But their efforts may be thwarted by the strongest tag team division to date. With the inclusion of teams like The Four Horsemen, The Steiner Brothers, and Thunder Dragon, it’s going to be the most challenging season yet.
1JITbbY.jpg
Hall and Nash underestimated Konnan and Guerrero early on, but they were exposed and nearly defeated by exciting quick moves from the younger team. After regrouping and revising their game plan, the size of Hall and Nash started to control the match.

In a pivotal moment, Nash executed a devastating powerbomb on Guerrero, softening him up for the finishing touch. Scott Hall tagged in, and the duo executed their signature move, the Outsider's Edge, leaving Guerrero in a vulnerable state. Nash then capitalized on the opportunity, delivering a thunderous jackknife powerbomb that shook the ring. The referee counted to three, declaring Kevin Nash and Scott Hall the victors in a hard-fought battle that showcased the dominance of The Outsiders in the tag team division.

Nash and Hall stand tall and have a stare down with Thunder Dragon who are still on the ramp. The two teams will face off at Superbrawl in a rematch of their time limit draw.

The Outsiders (1-0-1) defeated La Cultura Torcida (0-2-0) in 14:35 by way of pin fall when Nash pinned Guerrero This was their first ever match up against each other.

PzJCc3U.jpeg

The arena erupted in a sea of flashing lights and thunderous cheers as the home-town hero Ric Flair, accompanied by his Four Horsemen stablemates Brian Pillman, Steve Austin, and Eddie Gilbert, made his grand entrance. The Nature Boy, adorned in his signature lavish robe, exuded confidence and arrogance as he strutted down the ramp. On the other side, Barry Windham, joined by his tag team partner Dustin Rhodes, entered next. The atmosphere was charged with anticipation as these two wrestling icons prepared to clash in the ring. The contrast in their characters, from Flair's flamboyant charisma to Windham's stoic demeanor, added an extra layer of intrigue to the impending battle.

Yw8oqxT.jpg
It’s a fever pitch out here in Charlotte as we are in epicentre of Flair Country and the home town crowd is electric for their man! So much so, that they were actually booing Barry Windham, who is normally adored by the WCW audiences!
Absolutely, Jim. Barry Windham is no stranger to the big stage, and he's standing toe-to-toe with one of the greatest to ever step foot in the ring. The electricity of the crowd however is what makes this one so special!
1JITbbY.jpg
As the bell rang, the match unfolded with both Flair and Windham showcasing their technical prowess and in-ring psychology. The ebb and flow of the contest kept the audience on the edge of their seats. Flair's Four Horsemen constantly distracted Windham, adding an element of chaos, while Windham displayed the upper -hand with the crowd rallying Flair each time he seemed at a disadvantage.

Ric Flair managed to lock in his patented Figure-Four Leg Lock, a move synonymous with his career. Windham fought valiantly, but the Nature Boy's mastery of the submission hold proved too much. The referee called for the bell as Windham, unable to withstand the excruciating pain, submitted to Flair to a massive pop!

The arena erupted with a mix of cheers and boos as the Horsemen celebrated their leader's victory.

Ric Flair (0-1-0) defeated Barry Windham (0-1-0) in 18:20 by way of submission. This was their first ever WCW Grand Prix match up against one another.

FP3dRNp.jpg

Replays are shown of the finishes from the night, followed by the updated leaderboards for WCW’s Grand Prix. Standing by for analysis as always is the team of Harley Race, Dusty Rhodes, and Paul E Dangerously.

m7hmEdg.jpg
Well, there we have it folks! Another amazing night of WCW action is in the books and a couple new stories to talk about as the season starts to take it's shape. We’ve got a tie at the top with Rude and Luger at the moment, but there are three huge final week matches still to go. Bigelow against Dustin Rhodes, Hulk Hogan against Big Van Vader, and the debuting Davey Boy Smith taking on Sting!
You got it, Mista Race. I cannot wait to see Davey Boy Smith in a WCW ring! And the events of tonight will shape the season as a whole! We gotta get a medical update on Ron Simmons who left the arena to get checked out for internal bleeding… if you will… and it feels like Nobuhiko Takada has reached a whole new level of dangerous… His destruction of Simmons tonight was shocking…. Shocking!
yQXPnPd.jpg
Speaking of Dangerous… *smirks* how about that Punt Kick that has won Kevin Von Erich two straight matches? By the way - you know what I loved about tonight? I loved watching the interference of Flamingo Corp backfire on them and cost Hansen the match. You could [I]feel[/I] Stan Hansen’s frustrations with his stable get to that next level tonight, and I hope it leads to the end of that punk Scotty Flamingo’s manipulation of WCW.
HwXAX8e.jpg
m7hmEdg.jpg
A great night of developments indeed. Before we wrap up though, I am happy to announce this week’s winner of the $10,000 bonus for best performance goes to Dr. Death Steve Williams for his huge winning effort against the Rock N Roll Express on World Wide.
World-Wide continues to be the home of some of the best tag team wrestling in all of wrasslin and that will only continue… Because this coming week, it's The Steiner Brothers taking on the Young Pistols… And now Paulie with the final word!
yQXPnPd.jpg
Wait… you guys are leaving the sponsor shout out to me? I’m not putting over the soda!
HwXAX8e.jpg

WCW’s theme plays as the show fades out.

exitXjq.jpg

• Like 2

ROUND 2 : WEEK 3 CARD

PzJCc3U.jpeg

PzJCc3U.jpeg

PzJCc3U.jpeg

PzJCc3U.jpeg

PzJCc3U.jpeg

PzJCc3U.jpeg

True Grit vs The Terrors
Scotty Flamingo vs Tom 'Z-Man' Zenk
Kevin Sullivan vs Michael Hayes
Sting vs Davey Boy Smith
Bam Bam Bigelow vs Dustin Rhodes
Big Van Vader vs Hulk Hogan

SYNOPSIS

Coming up this week, it's the final week of Round 2 for the 1994 campaign.

In Tag Team action, the no-nonsense team of Bull Gantner and Tony Anthony - True Grit - look to bounce back from a Round One loss to the Four Horsemen. But, standing opposite the ring from them is One Man Gang and Dan Spivey - The Terrors. Spivey and Gang finally showed their true colours after weeks of nefarious behaviour. Their recent turn stemmed from the final match of the 1993 season, when they were upset by The Journeymen (Chris Adams and Al Snow) and as a result lost a promotion spot to the Premier League. Gang and Spivey will be looking to show off their newfound change of heart and may make an example out of True Grit.

In Division Two action, Kevin Sullivan looks to string together consecutive victories against the man from Badstreet USA, 'Freebird' Michael Hayes. It's clear that Hayes is still adjusting to singles competition and his spry young manager Shane Douglas will try and help the Freebird bounce back from a round one loss to Eddie Gilbert. Who will come out on top? Plus, the owner of Flamingo Corp, Scotty Flamingo, looks to correct the path of his organization with a win as he takes on 'The Z-Man' Tom Zenk. After several interference attempts have backfired on Flamingo Corp and only served to cost the company cash penalties, it will be interesting to see how they regroup following an injury to their Argentine Assassin, El Gigante, and the growing frustration from 'Sugar' Stan Hansen.

Speaking of the injury to El Gigante, his Flamingo Corp sponsored replacement Davey Boy Smith makes his WCW debut in the Premier League in a massive match-up against WCW's Ace, Sting! Davey Boy Smith is on loan from NJPW - will Flamingo Corp's investment pay dividends and cost Sting 3 points, or will Sting overcome an opponent he hasn't scouted. Plus, Player Enterprises looks to continue on the statement victory from Nobuhiko Takada, as the 'Beast from the East' Bam Bam Bigelow goes head-to-head against the plucky, young 'Lonestar' Dustin Rhodes. Dustin's first taste of Premier League action resulted in a disheartening defeat against World Champion Rick Rude and he'll be looking to bounce back.

And finally, in the main event, it's 'The Immortal' Hulk Hogan going head to head against 'The Mastodon' Big Van Vader. Billed as the Immaculate Force versus the Immovable Object - this collision is sure to shake the very foundation of WCW's Premier League! Who will make the final statement to finish off Round 2?
        CURRENT STANDINGS         

1PWfan : 5/12 - 42%
Just here to look : 10/18 - 56%
Dawn : 7/12 - 58%
DHK1989 : 18/30 - 60%
Lord Byron : 19/30 - 63%
Nightshadeex : 20/30 - 67%
Old School Fan : 20/30 - 67%
Rekcut012 : 21/30 - 70%
 SonOfSharknado : 23/30 - 77% (congrats on the perfect week)

Edited by CactusHack
  • Like 1

True Grit vs The Terrors
Scotty Flamingo vs Tom 'Z-Man' Zenk
Kevin Sullivan vs Michael Hayes
Sting vs Davey Boy Smith (I think Davey Boy is going to get mad at Flamingo's interference and fight them, instead.)
Bam Bam Bigelow vs Dustin Rhodes
Big Van Vader vs Hulk Hogan - Draw

opGeXZk.jpg

February 1994 : Week 2

b9fI6vP.jpg

WWF signed Sgt. Slaughter to an 18 month contract extension worth $1.525M.

WWF signed Jake Roberts to a 2 year contract extension worth $2.585M.

Announcer Bill Cardille has announced his retirement plans, as he will quietly leave in the next three months.

CMLL signed Black Warrior (competing as Bronce) to a 3 year contract extension worth $900K.

CMLL signed Cien Caras to an 18 month contract extension worth $1.96M.

Ida Hupp walked out on EUR.

00IofDH.jpg

Invader #1 has captured the WWC Television Title for a record breaking sixth time, defeating Dutch Mantell to do so.

Carlos Colon has won the WWC Universal Heavyweight Championship for a record setting fourteen time, defeating El Bronco #1 to do so. It probably helps that he’s the booker for the Puerto Rican company…

HBMVhmK.jpg

Tsumemasa Tsukioka entered the wrestling world.

XqPNRiI.jpg

Power Plant Singles and Tag Team Grand Prix Round 2/15; Card Two

Western Boys (1-1-0) def. Wildest of the West (0-2-0)
Samoan Savage (1-1-0) def. Stan Lane (0-2-0)
Tex and Shanghai (2-0-0) def. Southern Rockers (0-2-0)
Sabu (2-0-0) def. Van Hammer (1-1-0)
Disorderly Conduct (1-1-0) def. Public Enemy (0-2-0)
Paul Orndorff (2-0-0) def. Rod Price (0-2-0)
Speed Eleven (1-1-0) def. International Sex Pistols (0-2-0)
Rick Titan (1-0-1) and Rayo De Jalisco Jr (0-1-1) went to a time limit draw.

Worthwhile Notes:

A promo aired displaying underlying tension between Harlem Heat and Nubian Nightmares after their draw.
MVP : Ultimo Dragon

tLPXx8m.jpg

W4WA Canadian Grand Prix Round 3/23; Card Two

Don Callis (2-1-0) def. Chip Thompson (0-3-0)
Rob Van Dam (1-2-0) def. Sledgehammer Anderson (1-2-0)
Ed Moretti (2-1-0) def. Rey Misterio Jr (1-2-0)
Leo Burke (1-1-1) def. B Brian Blair (0-3-0)
William Regal (3-0-0) def. Black Dragon (1-2-0)
Chris Jericho (3-0-0) def. Kid Kash (1-2-0)

Worthwhile Notes:

MVP : Rey Misterio Jr.

Xh1mINV.jpg

LPWA Women's Grand Prix Round 3/19; Card One

Lioness Asuka (2-0-1) def. Cynthia Moreno (0-1-2)
Bison Kimura (1-0-2) def. Bambi (0-3-0)
Penelope Paradise (3-0-0) def. Megumi Kudo (0-1-0)
Wendi Richter (1-0-2) def. Linda Dallas (0-3-0)
Candi Devine (1-1-1) and Combat Toyoda (0-2-1) went to a time limit draw.

Worthwhile Notes:

Lioness Asuka wore an eyepatch due to her injury.
Hype for Manami vs Shinobu, continuing Manami’s new storyline.
Megumi Kudo filled for the injured Madusa.
Next challenger for Akira Hokuto : Denise Storm
Candi Devine raged about being screwed and demanded five more minutes. Out comes the injured Madusa, who says she’s tired of Candi’s bitching and moaning. Madusa is the greatest female wrestler in the world, and she’s literally busted her ass for this company, and even though she may miss a match tonight, she’s going to regain what is hers!
MVP : Combat Toyoda

dpoCIZF.jpg

SSW Division 4 Grand Prix Round 3/23; Card One

Moondog Storm (1-2-0) def. Jack Victory (1-2-0)
Rip Rogers (3-0-0) def. Frankie Lancaster (1-2-0)
Chaz Taylor (1-2-0) def. Ricky Vaughn (0-1-0)
David Sammartino (3-0-0) def. Bruiser X Mastino (1-2-0)
Paul Levesque (2-1-0) def. John Rambo (0-3-0)
El Hijo Del Santo (3-0-0) def. Jerry Lynn (1-1-1)

Worthwhile Notes:

MVP : El Hijo Del Santo

AYqrmkw.jpg

PWFG Japanese Grand Prix Round 2/23; Card One

Michiyoshi Ohara (1-0-1) def. 2 Cold Scorpio (1-1-0)
Dr. Luther (1-1-0) def. Masahito Kakihara (1-1-0)
Koji Kanemoto (1-0-1) and Volk Han (1-0-1) went to a 15 minute time limit draw.
Masakatsu Funaki (2-0-0) def. Gerard Gordeaux (0-2-0)
Dick Vrij (1-1-0) def. Yoshiaki Yatsu (1-1-0)
Akira Maeda (2-0-0) def. Hans Nijman (0-2-0)

Notes:

MVP : Minoru Suzuki

• Like 3

9fMJ3Fq.jpg

tBEcKDL.jpg

It’s the second week of February, 1994, and it WCW is hailing from the Miami Arena in Miami, Florida! WCW Saturday Night is brought to you by Pink Dream, the official soft drink of WCW. After an intro video of WCW’s Premier League, the camera’s take us inside WCW’s neon-lit blue and pink studios where we are standing by with the WCW Analysis Team, Dusty Rhodes, Harley Race and Paul E Dangerously!

m7hmEdg.jpg
Hello folks, and welcome to WCW Saturday Night! Boy do we have a spectacular night of wrestling ahead of you, with three major Premier League match-ups on deck! Tonight’s main event is a clash of immortals, the classic tale of the immovable object versus the unstoppable force, as Hulk Hogan goes toe-to-toe with Big Van Vader! But before that, we have Dusty’s son, Dustin Rhodes, taking on Bam Bam Bigelow of Player Enterprises. And to kick it all off, Sting takes on the debuting Davey Boy Smith!
Well… Are you boys not excited… for the grand debut of the man formerly known as the British Bulldog, Davey Boy Smith?… We have seen him compete in the WWF and around the globe and now he takes centre stage in grandest competition of them all, as he fills in for El Gigante against Sting… It’s the first time in Premier League history that a substitution has had to occur… It’s happened on occasion in lower division, but at this stage? And Davey getting to step in here? Only on WCW!
yQXPnPd.jpg
You aren’t wrong, Dream. And we get to see Davey Boy right away! But before we head to the ring, we should touch on the ramifications of tonights matches as it is the final night of Round Two, and three men have a chance to join Rick Rude and Lex Luger at the top of the rankings. Sting, Hogan and Vader. Think about that… After two rounds at most only one quarter of the competition will remain perfect. That’s the WCW Premier League for ya!
HwXAX8e.jpg
m7hmEdg.jpg
You got that right, Paulie. Only the best of the best make it to the Premier League, and once you are there the competition is unrivalled. Which is why when we talk about a record like the longest win streak in Premier League history, there is a certain level of prestige and gravity that it brings. And Big Van Vader holds that record with an unfathomable 14 match win streak at this level across 1992 and 1993 seasons. When we say that Hulk Hogan has his biggest test to date, we mean it!
Hulky is the biggest name… and has competed and defined the grandest stages… but this WCW, baby… It’s not about getting your name onto the marquees, it’s about winning - every single night. Because in the Grand Prix, an off-night isn’t something you can shake off - it’s something that can cost you the glory of an entire year…
yQXPnPd.jpg
Well gents, let’s not waste any more time - let’s send it down to our broadcast colleagues, Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone, who are standing by at ringside to call the action tonight!
HwXAX8e.jpg

The neon night lights strobe in the set as the cameras zoom out and the analyst group continue to chat after their microphones are cut. Saturday Night theme plays and we cut to live shots of the ring and the crowd. WCW Saturday Night starts now!

PzJCc3U.jpeg

The opening entrance is for the debuting Davey Boy Smith! Despite being paid by Flamingo Corp for his appearance tonight, he enters for his match alone. Meanwhile, his opponent tonight - Sting - is accompanied by his buddy, Lex Luger, but no Great Muta for those curious about the level of their alliance.

Yw8oqxT.jpg
It’s great to see Davey in a WCW ring, but it’s a shame that it’s under the circumstance that it is. Most of the American audience is familiar with his run with WWF, but recently Davey has been wrestling in the Orient for New Japan where he has shown a change of heart and a newfound disdain for his once beloved fans. This relationship with Flamingo Corp appears to be strictly financial.
Jim, you're absolutely right. It’s a shame we have to see Davey acting this way. However, Sting, with the support of Lex Luger, is a force to be reckoned with. I don’t think that having to face quite arguably the most beloved wrestler in WCW is going to help correct Davey’s current perception of the audience!
1JITbbY.jpg
The match began with Sting and Davey Boy exchanging powerful strikes and technical maneuvers. Early on, Sting managed to sock Davey Boy, creating a visible welt around his eye. The aggressive move fueled Davey Boy's fury, and the match turned into a hard-hitting contest. Sting showcased his high-flying acrobatics, while Davey Boy relied on his brute strength and underhanded tactics to gain an advantage.

The welt around Davey’s eye was swollen to the point where his sight became an issue. In the final moments, Sting locked in the Scorpion Death Lock, applying relentless pressure to Davey Boy's lower back. The British Bulldog, unable to escape the excruciating hold, had no choice but to submit, handing the victory to Sting.

The post-match scene saw Sting celebrating his hard-fought victory, acknowledging the cheers from the crowd. Lex Luger joined him in the ring, and the duo shared a moment of triumph. On the other side, Davey Boy Smith, nursing the welt around his eye, retreated with a scowl and refused medical assistance, emphasizing the physical toll and emotional frustration that came with the defeat. Sting moves to 2-0-0 on the season, a great start for the former champion!

Sting (2-0-0) defeated Davey Boy Smith (0-1-0) in 14:38 by way of submission. This was their first ever match

PzJCc3U.jpeg

The atmosphere in the arena was tense as the ominous strains of Kevin Sullivan's entrance music filled the air. Accompanied by the alluring Missy Hyatt, Sullivan made his way to the ring, his sinister demeanor sending shivers through the audience. On the other side, the rebellious Freebird, Michael Hayes, was led by the brash and injured Shane Douglas. The lack of communication between Hayes and Douglas hinted at a partnership in its infancy. Both men, typically heels, found themselves in an unusual situation with the audience showing sympathy for Hayes, who was stepping outside his element in singles competition.

Yw8oqxT.jpg
Folks, we've got a unique situation here tonight. Kevin Sullivan, a master of mind games, accompanied by the alluring Missy Hyatt, facing the Freebird Michael Hayes, who's finding himself in unfamiliar territory without his tag team partners. This match is not just about physicality but also about the psychological warfare these two individuals are capable of. It's an intriguing matchup for sure.
You know what, Jim? Michael Hayes is a tough competitor, but facing someone like Kevin Sullivan, known for his devious tactics, is a challenge in itself. The dynamics between Hayes and the brash Shane Douglas at ringside are also adding an interesting layer to this matchup.
1JITbbY.jpg
The two go back and forth with a series of classic baddie tricks that gets each other riled up. They argue with referee Jimmy Jett, each trying to get the other disqualified, and Jett flips out and shoves both of them for a comedic pop. Shane Douglas is barking orders at Hayes who doesn’t seem to understand what Douglas wants him to do.

Hayes and Douglas’ miscommunication continues as Douglas is trying to convince Hayes to do remove the turnbuckle pads, but Hayes doesn’t understand the whole plan. Hayes ends up getting spiked and then Sullivan hits the Devil Stomp for the win.

The post-match scene saw Sullivan and Missy Hyatt reveling in their victory, while Hayes and the frustrated Douglas engaged in a heated argument outside the ring. The tension between the two partners hinted at potential discord, leaving the audience curious about the future dynamics between Michael Hayes and Shane Douglas.

Kevin Sullivan (2-0-0) defeated Michael Hayes (0-2-0) in 15:13 by way of pin fall. This was their first ever match

We go backstage to a set designated for Gary Hart, who is standing by reporting on the results of WCW World Wide from earlier this week, while results from Friday Night’s B-show, WCW Main Event, scrolls on the bottom of the screen.

ZPkCtDG.jpg
In Division Two action, Eddie Gilbert (2-0-0) defeated Larry Zbyszko (0-2-0) via submission using the Figure Four Leglock. And in Tag Team action, The Steiner Brothers (2-0-0) defeated the Young Pistols (0-2-0). In other news, we received a medical update on Powerhouse Simmons, seems as though the timeline for his return after suffering internal bleeding is still unknown.

Main Event #101 : Sam Houston def. Sledgehammer Anderson | Tom Davis def. Chip Thompson | Harlem Heat def. Dave Johnson and Carl Ouellet | Sabu def. Jerry Flynn

Gary sent the TV audience over to Magnum TA, who is standing by with PS Lucha, The Classic Era, Tully Blanchard and Haku. He hypes up the two match-ups for next weeks episode of WCW World Wide. Not much of interest worth talking about here, just a lot of posturing. Magnum makes a point to state that this will be PS Lucha’s first opportunity to headline a WCW show.

GzJCDYE.jpg

HwXAX8e.jpg
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Danger Zone, the only place where the intensity is cranked up to eleven! I'm Paul E Dangerously, and tonight, we've got a match-up that's got the wrestling world buzzing. To my right, the master of the spinebuster, the Enforcer, Arn Anderson! And to my left, the powerhouse, the one and only Ron Simmons! Now, let's talk about this upcoming match. Ron, you're dealing with some internal bleeding, and there's speculation about whether you'll be cleared in time. What's the status, my man?
Paul, it's true; I've got some internal bleeding going on. But you know what? I've faced tougher challenges in my life. I've overcome obstacles that would break most men. Arn, you're one of the best in the business, but I won't let anything stop me from getting in that ring and giving the fans the match they deserve.
KmTWloJ.jpg” width=
HwXAX8e.jpg
Arn, facing a Ron Simmons with internal bleeding adds a whole new layer to this match. Are you ready to exploit any weakness, or do you think Ron's resilience might just be the deciding factor in this encounter?
Paul, I respect Ron, but in that ring, respect goes out the window. If he steps through those ropes, I'll do what I have to do to win. It's the name of the game, and Ron understands that as much as anyone.
7Au1NKJ.jpg” width=
HwXAX8e.jpg
here you have it, folks! WCW is about to witness a clash of titans, with the uncertainty of Ron Simmons' health hanging in the balance. Don't miss this one for the world next week, and remember to stay dangerous!

PzJCc3U.jpeg

The anticipation in the arena reached a fever pitch as the imposing figure of Bam Bam Bigelow, accompanied by his Player Enterprise stablemates Nobuhiko Takada, Terry Taylor, and manager Teddy Long, made a grand entrance. The unity and momentum of Player Enterprise were evident, creating a formidable presence. On the other side, 'Lonestar' Dustin Rhodes, accompanied by his tag partner Barry Windham, entered with determination. There is speculation about Dustin's readiness for this level of competition.

Yw8oqxT.jpg
Folks, we've got a compelling contest tonight. Bam Bam Bigelow, flanked by the dominant Player Enterprise, facing 'Lonestar' Dustin Rhodes, who's under the microscope. There's no denying the momentum behind Player Enterprise, and Dustin is stepping into the lion's den. This match will reveal a lot about Dustin's readiness and the impact Player Enterprise is having in the wrestling landscape.
Absolutely, Jim. Bam Bam Bigelow is a force to be reckoned with, and Player Enterprise is making waves. However, Dustin Rhodes is no slouch. He may be young, but he's got the heart and determination to surprise us all. This match is a test for both competitors, and the outcome will undoubtedly shape the narratives moving forward.
1JITbbY.jpg
The match unfolded with Bam Bam Bigelow showcasing his raw power and aggressive style, while Dustin Rhodes displayed grit and determination. Despite Dustin's heart, he made tactical errors, seemingly overwhelmed by the experience and dominance of Player Enterprise at ringside. Bam Bam capitalized on these mistakes, using his strength advantage to control the majority of the match. The narrative unfolded as a test of Dustin's resilience against the overwhelming force of Player Enterprise.

In the closing moments, Bam Bam Bigelow executed his devastating Greetings From Asbury Park finisher, planting Dustin Rhodes into the canvas. The impact was enough to secure the pinfall victory for Bigelow. Despite Dustin's valiant effort, the match highlighted the gap in experience and readiness at this level of competition.

The post-match scene saw Player Enterprise celebrating their victory, while Barry Windham tended to the defeated Dustin Rhodes. Speculation about Dustin's preparedness for Premier League competition lingers, and Player Enterprises continue to build momentum.

Bam Bam Bigelow (1-0-1) defeated Dustin Rhodes (0-2-0) in 14:59 by way of pin fall. This was their first ever match

PzJCc3U.jpeg

True Grit, the brash and hard-hitting team of Tony Anthony and Bull Gantner, made their way to the ring. Displaying an ugly and gritty demeanor, True Grit exuded confidence in their unorthodox approach to wrestling. Across the ring stood The Terrors, consisting of the monstrous One Man Gang and the imposing Dan Spivey. Fresh off a heel turn, The Terrors showcased newfound cockiness, embracing their roles as monster heel characters.

Yw8oqxT.jpg
Folks, we've got a slugfest on our hands tonight. This match is a collision of rough-and-tumble styles, and it's anyone's guess who will come out on top. Strap in for some hard-hitting action. One thing is for certain, all four of these men can hit hard, and hurt people.
Jim, you're absolutely right. True Grit is not here to win any beauty contests, and The Terrors are clearly comfortable in their monstrous personas. This tag team clash is a testament to the diversity of styles in professional wrestling. Get ready for an ugly brawl, folks.
1JITbbY.jpg
The match kicked off with both teams engaging in a physical and chaotic brawl. True Grit's unorthodox and brash style clashed with the raw power and aggression of The Terrors. The action spilled in and out of the ring, with neither team holding back in their pursuit of victory. The referee struggled to maintain order as the match descended into an all-out war.

In a shocking turn, after The Journeymen appeared at ringside, Bull Gantner of True Grit managed to roll up the massive One Man Gang for a surprise pinfall victory after a stun gun by Tony Anthony amidst the chaos. The unexpected win stunned both The Terrors and the audience.

The post-match scene saw True Grit celebrating their shocking win, reveling in the disbelief of The Terrors. The defeated One Man Gang and Dan Spivey looked on in frustration as True Grit taunted and mocked them as they raced up the ramp before The Terrors could get any measure of revenge.

True Grit (1-1-0) defeated The Terrors (0-2-0) in 12:30 by way of pin fall when Gantner rolled up Gang. This was their first ever match

JGgmXE7.jpg

The title graphic shows for WCW’s Inside the Squared Circle segment, and the show pivots to a studio segment featuring the legendary Jesse ‘The Body’ Ventura, and Magnum TA. At the bottom of the screen, a news ticker hypes next weeks WCW subsidiary shows.

3wSc89I.jpg
Look, Dustin Rhodes might be young, but he's got wrestling in his blood. He's a second-generation wrestler with a legacy to uphold. I've seen him in action, and he's proven himself in the ring. Age shouldn't be the sole factor in determining someone's readiness for a tournament like the WCW Grand Prix. Ventura, what's your take on this young gun entering the top level, 16-man round-robin tournament?
Proven himself? Magnum, this kid's barely out of diapers in wrestling terms. The WCW Grand Prix is for the big leagues, the cream of the crop. Rhodes doesn't have the experience to hang with the top dogs. We need seasoned veterans, not greenhorns, in a prestigious tournament like this. This is the biggest competition in the world, and tonight, Dustin didn’t look like he was in the right league.
oOKr00n.jpg
3wSc89I.jpg
Jesse, you can't discount the potential and talent that Dustin Rhodes brings to the table. He may be young, but he's been training and wrestling for years. Age doesn't always equate to experience. We've seen young talents make a huge impact in this business, and Rhodes is no exception.
Potential? Talent? Those are words for the undercard, Magnum. This is the WCW Grand Prix. We're talking about the best of the best, not a kid looking for his first break. Rhodes should earn his stripes before stepping into the ring with the big boys. I've heard those words thrown around so many times, Magnum. This is the WCW Grand Prix, not a developmental playground. Rhodes is untested at this level, and throwing him into the deep end could do more harm than good. We can't risk diluting the prestige of this tournament.
oOKr00n.jpg
3wSc89I.jpg
Well, there you have it, folks. The debate rages on. Is 24-year-old Dustin Rhodes too young and inexperienced for the WCW Grand Prix, or is he a rising star ready to make his mark? Let us know your thoughts. Until next time, this is 'Inside the Squared Circle' signing off!

Ric Flair, alongside The Four Horsemen, cuts an insane Flair promo about starting 1 and 1 on the season but still being The Man. He says he’s going to prove that he’s the best in the business by stepping foot in the Superbrawl Battle Royal this year. We are reminded that one year ago, he teamed with Arn Anderson in the main event of Superbrawl after rejecting Rick Rude as a partner, and Rude went on to win the battle royal and kickstart the momentum he needed to win the Grand Prix. Flair says he won’t be alone like that loser Rude though - the rest of the Horsemen will be with him!

Next week’s Saturday Night main event will be Stan Hansen taking on Nobuhiko Takada for the first time ever. Duelling promos aired from the two competitors.

Yw8oqxT.jpg
Ladies and gentlemen, listen up, because the Sweetest Man in Borger, Texas has something to say. Nobuhiko Takada, you may be the pride of Japan, but you're stepping into my world now. You've heard the stories, seen the footage, but nothing can prepare you for the wrath of Stan Hansen. I don't care about your accolades or your reputation; when we step into that ring, it's gonna be a Texas-sized beatdown like you've never experienced before. So lace up your boots real tight, Takada, because all of Flamingo Corp is coming for you, and there ain't no escape from the Lariat!
Stan Hansen, you have fought tooth and nail before in Japan, so you must know that in the land of the rising sun, I am the shining beacon of honor and skill. You may bring your Texas-sized bravado, but it will crumble before the precision and discipline of Japanese wrestling. I have faced giants, conquered legends, and tonight, I will add your name to the list of fallen foes. Prepare yourself, Hansen, for the storm of strikes and the fury of the Dragon's Wrath that awaits you in the ring. You see, the era of Takada has begun and there is no stopping my rise!
1JITbbY.jpg

PzJCc3U.jpeg

The atmosphere was charged with anticipation as Scotty Flamingo, the spoiled rich kid leading Flamingo Corp, made his way to the ring. Accompanied by his enforcer Stan Hansen, the intimidating Haku, and the calculating Alexandra York, Flamingo exuded arrogance and entitlement. On the opposite side stood the wacked out Tom 'Z-Man' Zenk, whose eccentricity had been amplified since the betrayal of his former best friend, Brian Pillman.

Yw8oqxT.jpg
Ladies and gentlemen, we've got quite the matchup here. Scotty Flamingo, the spoiled heir who's been using interference from Flamingo Corp to secure victories despite hefty fines imposed by WCW. Tonight, he faces the wacky and unpredictable Z-Man, Tom Zenk. It's a collision of contrasting personalities, and the stakes are high with Flamingo Corp involved.
Absolutely, Jim. Flamingo has been bending the rules to his advantage, and Z-Man, dealing with the fallout from a betrayal last year, is looking to overcome the odds. The interference from Flamingo Corp adds a layer of unpredictability to this contest. It's a battle of cunning and craziness, and I can't wait to see how it unfolds.
1JITbbY.jpg
The match started with Z-Man showcasing his agility and unorthodox offense against the crafty Flamingo. However, Flamingo Corp's presence at ringside proved to be a constant threat. Z-Man fought valiantly, using his unique style to keep Flamingo on his toes. The back-and-forth action saw Z-Man gaining momentum, but the interference from Flamingo Corp repeatedly disrupted his rhythm.

Stan Hansen fucks up Z-Man and then Flamingo picks up the win.

The post-match scene unfolded with Flamingo Corp celebrating their calculated victory, taunting the fallen Z-Man. Alexandra York's strategic distraction and Stan Hansen's brutal attack showcased the effectiveness of their interference. The defeated Z-Man, still recovering from the assault, looked on with frustration as Scotty Flamingo writes another check to WCW, paying the fine for Hansen’s interference.

Scotty Flamingo (2-0-0) defeated Tom Zenk (0-2-0) in 16:23 by way of pin fall. This was their first ever match

PzJCc3U.jpeg

The arena shook as the iconic strains of "Real American" blared through the speakers, heralding the arrival of the legendary 'The Immortal' Hulk Hogan. The crowd erupted in cheers as Hogan, still relatively new in his WCW venture, made his grand entrance, flexing his muscles and basking in the adoration of his fans. Across the ring stood the formidable Big Van Vader, a powerhouse with the longest winning streak in WCW Premier League history. The clash between The Immortal and The Mastodon was billed as The Immaculate Force versus The Immovable Object, setting the stage for an epic confrontation between two titans.

Yw8oqxT.jpg
Ladies and gentlemen, we are witnessing a colossal clash tonight. Hulk Hogan, The Immortal, looking to maintain his undefeated streak in WCW, faces his biggest challenge yet in Big Van Vader. This match is not just about supremacy; it's about the collision of two forces that have dominated the wrestling world. Get ready for an unforgettable battle.
Absolutely, Jim. Hulk Hogan is a global icon, but Big Van Vader is no slouch. The longest winning streak in WCW Premier League history speaks for itself. This matchup is a testament to the star power and competitive nature of WCW. The Immaculate Force against The Immovable Object—a true clash of giants.
1JITbbY.jpg
The match was a back-and-forth spectacle, with Hogan and Vader exchanging powerful strikes and signature moves. Hogan's iconic leg drops and Vader's dominant power moves kept the audience on the edge of their seats. As the match approached its climax, both wrestlers demonstrated incredible resilience, kicking out of each other's finishers. With minutes left on the clock, the tension in the arena reached its peak as both men fought desperately for a decisive victory.

As the final 5 minutes wore down, it became clearer that Hogan was running out of energy. He looked to the Hulkamaniacs for guidance and support as Vader refused to quit. It seemed as though the longer the match went, the less confident Hogan appeared. But the heart of The Immortal Hulk Hogan continued to persevere as he kicked out of a massive moonsault! Hogan then had a burst of energy as he hulked up and wrestled Vader to the mat, and attempted to lock in the Atomic Stretch (his new submission finisher), but Vader was able to fight to prevent Hogans grip from locking and time expired.

The post-match scene saw tensions boiling over as Hogan and Vader refused to disengage. The heated exchange led to a brawl, with officials and security rushing to the ring to separate the two behemoths. Hogan is upset as a chink in his armour appears to have been revealed, and Vader seems happy to have exposed it.

Hulk Hogan (1-0-1) and Big Van Vader (1-0-1) went to a 20:00 minute time limit draw. This was their first ever match.

73uL0vN.jpg

Replays are shown of the finishes from the night, followed by the updated leaderboards for WCW’s Grand Prix. Standing by for analysis as always is the team of Harley Race, Dusty Rhodes, and Paul E Dangerously.

m7hmEdg.jpg
What a match! I cannot believe what I just witnessed. Hogan and Vader, two of the biggest names in professional wrestling today, and they couldn’t get a decision within WCW’s 20 minute time limit. Two of the biggest favourites in the Premier League, and they both dropped two points tonight by not getting a victory. What a start we have had to this season!
Folks, two rounds in the books and three men currently sit at the top of the rankings - Sting, Rick Rude and Lex Luger. That is the first two champions of Grand Prix history, and the final WCW champion prior to moving to a Grand Prix robin style approach… If you will… You claw and scratch your way to the top echelons of WCW, only for a chance at greatness!
yQXPnPd.jpg
I’m excited to share that the MVP of this week has been named and it is Player Enterprise member, Bam Bam Bigelow! Bigelows dominate performance against Dustin Rhodes - a match that is sure to create the narrative that the grandson of a plumber just isn’t ready to be fighting at this level.
HwXAX8e.jpg
m7hmEdg.jpg
But folks, the hits don’t stop here - no we are just getting started! We know that next week will feature Stan Hansen taking on Nobuhiko Takada and Arn Anderson against a yet-to-be-cleared for action Powerhouse Simmons, but we are proud to also announce the main event of Round Three in three weeks time will be ‘The Immortal’ Hulk Hogan taking on… wait for it… ‘The Man’ Ric Flair! Two bonafide legends will collide, both looking to avoid a disastrous start to the season!
And that not all! WCW is just two weeks away from Superbrawl 94… We already know that Thunder Dragon will be taking on The Outsiders in a rematch of their time limit draw… and The Shining Wizard - The Great Muta - will team up with Stinger and Luger to take on Muta’s former friends turned bitter rivals, Player Enterprises… and of course the 30 man Superbrawl Battle Royal! But allow me to share with you, the newest signed match for Superbrawl… In a No Holds Barred, anything goes, Street Fight… The Terrors will take on The Journeymen!
yQXPnPd.jpg
Those two team have bad blood between them, and we can’t let it affect Grand Prix matches - so hearing that WCW management has booked this match to get their heat settled now is a great decision. Else, we’d be waiting five more rounds to see them square off. Well folks, it's been a blast. As always, WCW Saturday Night has been brought to you by, ugh… Pink Dream… The Soda of your dreams. *Fake smile*
HwXAX8e.jpg

WCW’s theme plays as the show fades out.

exitXjq.jpg

• Like 2

ROUND 3 : WEEK 1 CARD

PzJCc3U.jpeg

PzJCc3U.jpeg

PzJCc3U.jpeg

PzJCc3U.jpeg

PzJCc3U.jpeg

PzJCc3U.jpeg

The Journeymen vs The Fantastics
The Horsemen vs The Terrors
Mitsuharu Misawa vs Tom 'Z-Man' Zenk
Diamond Dallas Page vs Butch Reed
Arn Anderson vs Powerhouse Simmons
Nobuhiko Takada vs Stan Hansen

SYNOPSIS

Coming up this week, it's the start of Round 3 for the 1994 campaign.

In Tag Team action, two teams who will go to war at Superbrawl will have to stay focused on their own matches first. One Man Gang and Dan Spivey - The Terrors - look to bounce back from a shock defeat at the hands of True Grit, but they will be taking on the undefeated duo of Steve Austin and Brian Pillman, who are representing the Four Horsemen. Meanwhile, The Journeymen and The Fantastics go head to head in a battle of 0-2 teams. There was anticipation that The Journeymen would be able to ride the momentum of defeating The Terrors to end 1993, but they've had a terrible start as they have dealt with distractions from Gang and Spivey. On the opposite side of the ring will be Bobby Fulton and Tommy Rogers - The Fantastics - a team who continues to show precautions around Tommy's rehabbed shoulder to the detriment of their own success. Will The Fantastics get their first win since returning to the tag team division, or will The Journeymen build up momentum leading into their Superbrawl Street Fight against The Terrors?

In Division Two action, The 'Z-Man' looks to recover from a terrible start to the season, but Zenk has a tall order ahead of him as he's facing the winner of the Canadian Grand Prix, 'The Standard-Bearer' Mitsuharu Misawa. Who will be victorious in this round 3 encounter? And rounding out the division two action, it's a battle of haves versus have nots as the 2-0 Diamond Dallas Page continues to build off of the momentum of his budding friendship with Hulk Hogan, while the Premier League alumni Butch Reed looks to avoid going 0-3 to start his season. Can 'Hacksaw' put a stop to his downward spiral?

Meanwhile, Round 3 of the Premier League kicks off with a question mark as 'Double A' Arn Anderson is scheduled to take on Powerhouse Simmons. But with Simmons having suffered internal bleeding during his Round Two match against Nobuhiko Takada, it is unclear on whether he will be cleared to compete in time for his match. Will Simmons be fit to compete, or will he need to call upon a last minute substitution? Arn promises that it doesn't matter whether Simmons is injured or not, he will give his opponent everything he's got in his quest to become a champion.

And finally, in the main event, it's 'Submission Supreme' Nobuhiko Takada of Player Enterprises taking on 'Sugar' Stan Hansen of Flamingo Corp. Two of WCW's most powerful groups collide as these two stars go to war in what promises one of the hardest hitting match-ups in WCW's history! Will Stan Hansen pick up his first win in the Premier League with the help of Flamingo Corp? Or will Takada continue to build upon Player Enterprises wave of momentum?
        CURRENT STANDINGS         

1PWfan : 5/12 - 42%
Just here to look : 10/18 - 56%
Dawn : 7/12 - 58%
Old School Fan : 21/36 - 58%
DHK1989 : 21/36 - 58%
Lord Byron : 23/36 - 64%
Nightshadeex : 25/36 - 69%
Rekcut012 : 25/36 - 69%
 SonOfSharknado : 28/36 - 78% 

The Journeymen vs The Fantastics
The Horsemen vs The Terrors
Mitsuharu Misawa vs Tom 'Z-Man' Zenk
Diamond Dallas Page vs Butch Reed
Arn Anderson vs Powerhouse Simmons - Draw
Nobuhiko Takada vs Stan Hansen - This is an incredibly tough call. Scotty Flamingo interference to put a rare defeat on Takada.

opGeXZk.jpg

February 1994 : Week 3

r0ybISP.jpg

Backstage turmoil continues to grow as Hulk Hogan’s personal issue with Steve Austin has pitted the majority of the locker room against Austin. Austin has a few friends in Jim Ross, Owen Hart, Raven, Harley Race and Kevin Von Erich, but on the opposite side, those against the rising star as 26 active competitors from the WCW roster have been confirmed to have issues with Austin. Rumours are swirling that Austin was pegged to join the Premier League this year and the decision to promote him was vetoed by Hogan late in the season in favour of Cactus Jack. Many within WCW believe that if it weren’t for Austin’s rapidly rising popularity, he’d have been let go to appease the locker room.

b9fI6vP.jpg

CMLL star El Hijo Del Solitario suffered a broken neck during a tag team cage match and will be out of action for 1 year.

00IofDH.jpg

King Kaluha captured the ECW Heavyweight title for the second time, defeating JT Smith.

Heidi Lee Morgan defeated Debbie Combs to win the USWA Women’s Championship for the first time.

Sandy Beach and Rocky Johnson won the ICWA tag team titles from Mark Canterbury and Ron Slinker.

tLPXx8m.jpg

W4WA Canadian Grand Prix Round 4/23; Card One

Buddy Landel (3-0-1) def. Bruiser Bedlam (1-3-0)
Danny Davis (4-0-0) def. Dick Slater (1-3-0)
Black Dragon (2-2-0) def. Greg Valentine (1-3-0)
Richard Charland (3-1-0) def. Gerry Morrow (2-2-0)
Canadian Tiger (2-2-0) def. Keith Hart (0-4-0)
Owen Hart (3-0-1) and Lance Storm (1-0-3) went to a time limit draw.

Worthwhile Notes:

MVP : Owen Hart

Xh1mINV.jpg

LPWA Women's Grand Prix Round 3/19; Card Two

Jacqueline (1-2-0) def. Malia Hosaka (0-3-0)
Bull Nakano (3-0-0) def. Judy Martin (1-2-0)
Debbie Malenko (3-0-0) def. Terri Powers (0-3-0)
Akira Hokuto (3-0-0) def. Denise Storm (1-1-1)
Manami Toyota (2-1-0) def. Shinobu Kandori (1-2-0)

Worthwhile Notes:

Nick Bockwinkel sat down with Cynthia Moreno and the two discussed her winless start to the season.
Madusa discussed her broken tailbone with Bockwinkel, saying she will come back stronger and more determined than ever. Wendi Richter approaches and is supportive of Madusa’s recovery.
MVP : Akira Hokuto

dpoCIZF.jpg

SSW Division 4 Grand Prix Round 3/23; Card Two

Doc Dean (1-1-1) def. Gedo (0-3-0)
Leatherface (2-1-0) def. El Dandy (2-1-0)
Stan Lee (1-2-0) def. Robbie Brookside (2-1-0)
Ice Train (1-0-2) and Rikki Nelson (0-2-1) went to a time limit draw
Blue Demon Jr (2-0-1) def. Randy Rose (1-2-0)
Brian Lee (3-0-0) def. Brazo de Plata (1-1-0)

Worthwhile Notes:

MVP : El Dandy

AYqrmkw.jpg

PWFG Japanese Grand Prix Round 2/23; Card Two

Dick Vrij (2-1-0) def. Satoshi Kojima (0-3-0)
Michiyoshi Ohara (2-0-1) def. Jerry Flynn (0-3-0)
Doug Furnas (2-0-1) def. Dr. Luther (1-2-0)
Koji Kanemoto (2-0-1) def. Shoichi Funaki (1-2-0)
Mark Starr (1-2-0) def. Gerard Gordeaux (0-3-0)
Minoru Suzuki (2-0-1) and Masakatsu Funaki (2-0-1) went to a time limit draw.

Notes:

MVP : Masakatsu Funaki

• Like 1