Wrestling Timelines: 1986

9 hours ago, spiffyone said:

Just found out about this mod being worked on. Wonderful! Was hoping someone would work on that year, as it was a big turning point year for the business, and probably the last real time up until the Monday Night Wars that the WWF was somewhat vulnerable to the competition, IMHO. Warning: long response post ahead.

This is really useful @spiffyone. Working through the notes, the following changes or comments have been made:

Battlestar - I know this was a PWUSA event but I gave it to the AWA to try and spread the named events out. CWF has Battle of the Belts (frustratingly difficult to handle when multiple events of the same name occur in one year!) already but I do need to add in Battle of the Stars, War of the Worlds etc.

AJW - for the time being, I've just given them "Created Tours" schedule and letting the AI do the heavy lifting. I've not done a huge amount of work in putting future events into the database yet because the priority is getting it playable and out there, but something I'll look at in future.

NWA World's title - I agree, no solution really manages this particularly well. I've set it to be an alliance title again and I'll do some testing.

NWA Women's/Women's Tag - again, completely agree and the whole Moolah situation is very difficult to replicate in-game. I kept them in as alliance titles because they don't really sit well with any one promotion and it's the nearest I can get.

NWA National - yes, I meant the one from Georgia. I'll leave it as a JCP title for now. I've still not added in the Georgia titles but I will at some point (possibly after a beta release).

Touring schedule - I can't find the comment I made you're referring to, but I will have meant the touring defences within the title section in the hopes that it would apply to anything other than Normal Events. It doesn't, it only seems to apply to Tour Shows so no matter what I set that to the NWA World's title doesn't get defended at MACW lesser events.

MSW North American - that's really useful info, thanks. For the time being I've renamed the UWF Heavyweight title to the Mid-South North American Heavyweight and added in a new, vacant UWF Heavyweight title. The AI is unlikely to know what to do with it, but players have the option then. I've also amended Butch Reed's contract to have 2 appearances left (one for TV tapings and one for the event).

UWF branding - because the change occurs so early on in the year and the amount of work to change titles, events, TV shows etc. is a pain, I'm going to keep it as the UWF. Easy enough for people to rename if they want though.

Home arena - given they regularly held shows in Dallas as well as Houston and Tulsa, I'll leave it for now. I don't use Venues (although people are welcome to import them) so it'd have to be a city as a home "arena".

Thanks for the event names too, that's really useful.

Company Preview

All Japan Women's Pro-Wrestling

Company Tour

AJWFull.jpg

Championships

AJWTitles.jpg

As you can see, AJW has quite a few titles but they do all get a pretty frequent run out (less so the tag titles at the minute). I haven't set the prestige of these belts yet either, although that's very much on the to-do list. Although the AJW Championship is referred to as a tertiary belt, I need to keep an eye on it in-game to see how the AI treats it longer term. During the watcher I ran, Bull Nakano defended against appropriate opponents so it might be okay.

AI Event Booking

AJWJan.jpg

AJWFeb.jpg

AJWMar.jpg

As you would expect from a company with a mandatory retirement age (and a regular-as-clockwork list of graduates) there is a bit of a division between the top of the card and the lower card. That said, there's a lot of quality on display, and the AI handles the promotion pretty well. Before running this watcher I had accidentally forgotten to set Stables to Yes so Dump Matsumoto's Atrocious Alliance was disbanded straight away. Obviously now that's switched on it behaves much better.

Closing comments

As the only women's only promotion at the game start, AJW will offer something different to players and despite some of its nuances not being perfectly handled by TEW they are consistent enough to be fun to watch the AI book. The lack of an obvious schedule for the real world in 1986 means that we're a bit beholden to the AI in terms of scheduling, but it is a pretty believable set of events to be fair. The company makes money although I accidentally used the wrong broadcaster for the company's tour highlights so there might be a slight change to their performance in that regard. I do need to add in their dojo too which will impact on their finances so may require some finessing.

The big thing for AJW is the lack of free agents available to them. It's something I will work on as time goes on but finding joshi workers who legitimately worked in 1986 but not for AJW is quite the task!

Overall, AJW isn't too far away. It's one of the promotion's that has proved the trickiest to get info for in this time period but has come together pretty well. I'll be adding the dojo today and then testing the impact on finances; once that's done I'll be happy!

Coming next: Polynesian Pro Wrestling

On 2/19/2023 at 7:02 PM, jhd1 said:

Any Quebec wrestling fans able to identify the referee in the image below? It's from 1986 but the ring announcer speaks far too quickly for me to catch the name. I've already got an image of Andre Roy so I'm hoping this is Eugene Brie but really can't tell!

Quebec Ref.gif

While i'm not a Quebec fan, i'm somewhat accostumed to hear foreign languages. Out to help you, i was watching some IW videos on youtube, and i took me a while to identify this guy, since when the ring announcer talks on the mic it goes so louder that you can barely hear what are the names that he's mentioning.

But yes, this guy seems to be Eugene Brie. (Happens that since they're in Montreal and French language is their language, they pronounce Eugene differently from the english-speaking people. Had to lower the speed of the video, so to find out that is really he).

Hope this helped!

3 minutes ago, LordofGustav said:

While i'm not a Quebec fan, i'm somewhat accostumed to hear foreign languages. Out to help you, i was watching some IW videos on youtube, and i took me a while to identify this guy, since when the ring announcer talks on the mic it goes so louder that you can barely hear what are the names that he's mentioning.

But yes, this guy seems to be Eugene Brie. (Happens that since they're in Montreal and French language is their language, they pronounce Eugene differently from the english-speaking people. Had to lower the speed of the video, so to find out that is really he).

Hope this helped!

It does, thank you! 

Just a quick update to say that the changes to AJW's broadcast deal and the addition of the dojo made no difference to their finances which is good. They don't hire their graduates at the minute but given they have no stats that's not surprising!

Random longer-term watcher results from 1988:

WWF Summerslam 1988 (88 Rating, 72,000 fans in New England)

• Andre the Giant def. Randy Savage to retain the WWF World Heavyweight title (89)
  • Hulk Hogan def. Ric Flair (99)
  • Ricky Steamboat def. Jim Neidhart to retain the WWF Intercontinental title (93)
  • Paul Orndorff & Mr T def. The Magnificent Muraco & Roddy Piper (88)
  • King Tonga & Mike Sharpe def. The Dream Team to retain the WWF World Tag Team titles (78)
  • The Heenan Family (Big John Studd & Hercules Hernandez) def. Hillbilly Jim & Tony Atlas by DQ (79)
  • Tito Santana, Danny Spivey & George Wells def. Bret Hart, Nikolai Volkoff & Bob Orton Jr (80)
  • Joyce Grable & Candi Devine def. Judy Martin & Desiree Petersen (59)
  • Susan Starr & Velvet McIntyre def. Leilani Kai & Linda Gonzales to retain the WWF Women's Tag Team titles (51)
  • Penny Mitchell def. Misty Blue Simmes by DQ in a match that had been for the WWF Women's title (42)

WCW Starrcade 1988 (74 Rating, 36,585 fans in New York, NY)

• Dusty Rhodes def. Magnum TA (77)
  • Harley Race def. Ron Garvin by DQ (65)
  • The Rock 'n' Roll Express def. Nikita Koloff & Don Kernodle for the NWA Mid-Atlantic Tag Team titles (72)
  • Pat Tanaka def. Black Bart in a Strap match to retain the NWA World Television title (64)
  • Ron Bass & Manny Fernandez def. Denny Brown & George South to retain the NWA Mid-Atlantic World Tag Team titles (71)
  • Sam Houston, Italian Stallion & Rocky King def. Gene Ligon & The Jeffers (52)
  • Bill Tabb & Rick Hazzard def. Brady Boone & Thunderfoot by DQ (46)

AJPW Giant Series 1988 (76 Rating, 41,265 fans in Sendai)

• Stan Hansen def. Giant Baba to retain the NWA International Heavyweight title (77)
  • Riki Choshu & Genichiro Tenryu def. Tiger Jeet Singh & Jumbo Tsuruta (82)
  • Toshiaki Kawada, Akira Maeda & Tiger Mask def. Animal Hamaguchi, Isamu Teranishi & Hiro Saito (76)
  • Mighty Inoue, Ted DiBiase & Shunji Takano def. Killer Khan, Haru Sonoda & Takashi Ishikawa (66)
  • Dory Funk Jr & Mitsuo Momota def. Masanobu Kurisu & Akio Sato to retain the NWA International Tag Team titles (69)
  • Ashura Hara def. Goro Tsurimi (54)
  • Masanobu Fuchi def. Masahiko Takasugi (66)
  • Ryuma Go def. Mil Mascaras (51)
  • Shinichi Nakano def. Fumihiro Niikura (59)
  • Haruka Eigen def. Rocky Hata (43)

NJPW Burning Spirit in Summer 1988 (80 Rating, 38,016 fans in Hiroshima)

• Antonio Inoki def. Kengo Kimura to retain the IWGP Heavyweight title (82)
  • Tatsumi Fujinami & Dynamite Kid def. Seiji Sakaguchi & Yoshiaki Fujiawara (75)
  • Black Tiger, Bob Backlund & Bruiser Brody def. Nobuhiko Takada, Shunji Kosugi & Johnny Mantell (80)
  • Keiichi Yamada def. Junji Hirata to retain the WWF World Martial Arts Heavyweight title (63)
  • Akira Nogami def. Tony St Clair to retain the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title (68)
  • Shinya Hashimoto, The Cobra & Kantaro Hoshino def. Osamu Kido, The Great Kabuki & Tarzan Goto (63)
  • Black Cat def. Don Arakawa (51)
  • Masa Chono def. Yang Seung-Hi (61)

AWA Brawl in St Paul 1988 (63 rating, 9,904 in Saint Paul, MN)

• Stan Hansen & Greg Gagne def. The Iron Sheik & Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie to retain the AWA World Tag Team titles (70)
  • Kamala & Michael Hayes def. Kerry Von Erich & Steve Regal by DQ (69)
  • Wendi Richter def. Leilani Kai to retain the AWA World Women's title (49)
  • Billy Jack Haynes, Pedro Morales & Kelly Kiniski def. Ken Patera, Buddy Roberts & Buddy Rose (63)
  • Keith Eric def. Brad Rheingans by DQ (63)
  • Doug Somers def. Jake Milliman by DQ (53)
  • Baron Von Raschke def. The Mongolian Stomper (47)
  • Velvet McIntyre def. Peggy Lee Leather (57)
  • Lex Luger def. Scott Irwin (54)

Interestingly, the watcher has made clear that I need to seriously nerf the Championship Wrestling from Hawaii slot on SCORE as PPW have ended up with 40 pop across the US. Championship Wrestling from Florida, who usually go bust in early 1987, have $3m in the bank. PNW went bust instead. CSP always go bust and I really need to work out how to keep them going.

The move from JCP to an alliance title hasn't faired well for the NWA World's Heavyweight title; Ric Flair vacated in June 1986 when he jumped to the WWF. It was then won by Brad Armstrong in a cage match against Mr Wrestling II at a Continental Championship Wrestling TV taping. After retaining against a real mix of top names like Dusty Rhodes and Jumbo Tsuruta and some oddities like Danny Davis, Brad dropped the belt to Yoshiaki Yatsu who has proceeded to defend the title in some awful matches, mainly in Hawaii but with a standout against Arn Anderson on World Championship Wrestling. I'll play around a bit longer but it might be heading back to JCP!

Dr Death Steve Williams is WCWA World Heavyweight champion, Road Warrior Animal is UWF Heavyweight champion, Big Daddy starts 1989 with a 506 day reign as British Heavyweight champion while Dump Matsumoto might be the most consistent champion in the world; her WWWA World Singles title has been defended 21 times with a low rating of 70 and a high of 79. 

Randy Savage was Wrestler of the Year 1988. The unlikely pairing of Haku & Mike Sharpe took the tag award, Jushin Liger took Young Wrestler of the Year while the WWF took the company award for the third year running. The Card of the Year results have been WWF The Big Event (93), WWF WrestleMania III (94) and WWF WrestleMania IV (92). Can't argue with those numbers! Interestingly, Nick Bockwinkel is a two-time Manager of the Year. 

With the exception of the NWA World's title and CSP always closing, I'm pretty pleased with how things are progressing in longer-term saves. The former can probably be solved by putting it back as a JCP title, and the latter I might be able to get away with through a hidden narrative cash injection for the AI (justified by the fact the economy of Puerto Rico isn't at all handled by the game by putting it in as part of the US). Reslo also go bust but I'm pondering having them owned by S4C and then Orig Williams can have a future promotion to open if Reslo still closes down (not historically accurate necessarily, but another situation the AI can't really handle with them being stuck in Wales).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jhd1 said:

CSP always go bust and I really need to work out how to keep them going.

Have you set their expansion limit to Small? That should help against them over-expanding and spending beyond their means. 

It may also help to set up the NWA as a protective alliance if you haven't already, so at the very least other NWA members wouldn't directly compete against them in Puerto Rico. While that may hamper JCP's expansion a bit, it would be somewhat accurate as Crockett didn't really run shows in fellow NWA territory areas until and unless he either bought them out or they went under. As Jarret, Watts, and Fritz all left the alliance in '86, and the others essentially followed suit shortly thereafter, having it set up as a protective alliance wouldn't impact JCP's ability to run in those regions.

You may want to set only one or two PR specific broadcasters as well (Teleonce had the deal with CSP, iirc, and/or WAPA) with the one that has a deal in place with CSP being longer term and having a one company limit so there's no danger of another promotion taking their local TV slot. 

It was easier to keep them afloat in TEW 2016, as one could edit the importance and community/fanbase size for each region via "Game World" in the database. So PR would be relatively unimportant for other companies outside of that region, but for the local promotions it would have a sizable potential audience from which to continue drawing. It would've been nice to have that option not only be in 2020, but expanded upon so region specific effects could've been tinkered with (like, say, the mid-'80s Oil Glut in the Mid-South region hurting business there for all companies). Ah well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, spiffyone said:

Have you set their expansion limit to Small? That should help against them over-expanding and spending beyond their means. 

It may also help to set up the NWA as a protective alliance if you haven't already, so at the very least other NWA members wouldn't directly compete against them in Puerto Rico. While that may hamper JCP's expansion a bit, it would be somewhat accurate as Crockett didn't really run shows in fellow NWA territory areas until and unless he either bought them out or they went under. As Jarret, Watts, and Fritz all left the alliance in '86, and the others essentially followed suit shortly thereafter, having it set up as a protective alliance wouldn't impact JCP's ability to run in those regions.

You may want to set only one or two PR specific broadcasters as well (Teleonce had the deal with CSP, iirc, and/or WAPA) with the one that has a deal in place with CSP being longer term and having a one company limit so there's no danger of another promotion taking their local TV slot. 

It was easier to keep them afloat in TEW 2016, as one could edit the importance and community/fanbase size for each region via "Game World" in the database. So PR would be relatively unimportant for other companies outside of that region, but for the local promotions it would have a sizable potential audience from which to continue drawing. It would've been nice to have that option not only be in 2020, but expanded upon so region specific effects could've been tinkered with (like, say, the mid-'80s Oil Glut in the Mid-South region hurting business there for all companies). Ah well.

They don't actually gain enough size to get bigger than Small but I might limit them anyway just to be on the safe side.

NWA is already set to protective.

CSP were already airing on WAPA but checking the settings it could be that the broadcasting requirements were too high (I think I'd imported the broadcaster and not tweaked it). I'm going to shift them over to Syndication (Puerto Rico) which might help (it certainly helps the other syndicated promotions from going bust on TV alone). 

We had similar problems with the LWA in the ThunderVerse, albeit without as many "big" names working for them as CSP/WWC had in real life. I think it's just that PR isn't very well replicated, but I'll get there eventually. Thanks for the suggestions!

• Like 1

Apologies for the lack of updates, but it's for a good reason; I've been slaving away adding a lot of polish to this, including the stats for the first near-200 future workers (there are more than that, but I've got 80 still to do). @Dalton has been providing some awesome feedback to finalise promotions and I've managed to get the number of people missing pictures down to 7 (at the time of writing there are 1659 workers, so not bad!). Just in case anyone reading this fancies going on a hunt, those workers are:

• El Magnifico (the original who became El Justiciero, I can't find him in his old gimmick)
  • Phil Belanger
  • Referee Ed Faulk
  • Referee Jimmy McGuire
  • Referee Marty Miller
  • Richard Charland (struggling to find a decent image of him in or around 1986)
  • Thunderbolt Hamilton (Larry Hamilton; I think he played Kaluha at one of the Clash of the Champions so I might just use that)

I'm also in the process of recreating the promotion logos in Inkscape (rather than GIMP) which provides a much cleaner line for the worker images to sit in and hide their rough GIF edges.

Watcher balancing continues as well with new narratives to close the AWA and UWF working well. They are currently set to AI only at 100% chance of occurring, but are clearly marked in the editor so people can tweak this is they like. My fudging of the CSP/WWC finances through narratives seems to be working too (again, these are marked if players want to remove from the editor).

Overall things are really taking shape. Can't say when the mod would be released, I'll need a bit more feedback about playability first but it's definitely feeling positive at the minute. As before, anyone interesting in testing just drop me a PM :)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to switch up how this hype thread works going forward as there is quite the team forming behind the scenes who are providing some great feedback. My plan is to do an update on the progress mid-week (Wednesday is the aim but inevitably I'll forget some weeks and it might be another day) and for a less screenshot heavy promotion profile at the weekend.

The first update will be all about numbers, just to provide a starting point as to where things are. Going forward, the updates will likely be about what has changed in the week's development. That's not to say that this is months and months away; I'm hoping that we can get out a first beta in a few weeks.

Workers

The place I spend most of my time in the editor! Currently there are 1,810 workers in the mod, of which 1,438 are already debuted. The 372 yet to debut workers run for the first couple of years across each of the game areas (Oceania and India are disabled for the mod because their scenes at this time were either non-existent or incredibly minor). Over time the yet to debut workers number will continue to grow of course. Of the 1,438 debuted workers, 1,123 are able to work as a wrestler so you can see that there is also a decent number of backstage workers available in the mod already (which is far from easy as many of these don't have their details recorded!).

As mentioned in previous updates, the attributes and biographies won't be completed by the first release but I'm aiming to get as many of the key players with the more important attributes for simming (i.e. stopping Terry Funk retiring in the 1980s is more important than whether he can get away with a comedy gimmick).

There are currently only 4 workers without images (the three referees mentioned previously and Vito Mussolini because I want to capture a better image).

There are 201 tag teams, although there should be a lot more by the time the mod is released (I've been adding "name" tag teams but need to do the various Worker A & Worker B duos that were prevalent at the time).

There are 120 alter-egos at the minute which people will quickly discover are primarily for worker's whose names begin with A or B for reasons that are presumably quite obvious. Again, those will be filled out with the major workers by the first release. I am avoiding bloating the data with alter-egos that workers don't use any more (so no Billy White Wolf for Sheik Adnan) because they will be findable by searching the bios eventually. 

Companies

There are currently 25 active companies and 13 yet-to-debut. In terms of the YTD promotions, I'm trying to balance useful and interesting without overloading and slowing down the game. Undoubtedly more will be added over time. My intention eventually is for things like logos to be made for promotions not able to be included in case players want to use a real life company that isn't available.

We've been working on balancing finances, fine-tuning production values etc. over the past couple of weeks. That's led to a more realistic lifespan for the vast majority of the promotions (in my latest watcher on Central States closed in 1986). The exceptions to this are Capitol Sports Promotions (aka WWC) and Reslo. The former I've managed to get around it by adding in the aforementioned narratives every couple of years to boost their cash. The narratives are marked for easy removal if people don't want them there. For Reslo, I'm in two minds. They lose money so fast by being limited to Wales (and running television) that I might have to take them out and just leave the workers/lineages in place.

Speaking of narratives, promotion name changes are starting to be added in. And yes, JCP will become WCW rather than them being two separate companies. I just prefer it that way, even if it means some intervention by the player may be required if they want a more "sim" world than they'd get in a hands-off TEW game. I've also added in narratives that simulate the closure of Bill Watts' UWF in 1987 and the AWA in 1990. They are marked (like the CSP ones) in case players want to remove them, although I should say that they are only set to run if the AI is booking them rather than punish players unfairly.

Titles

There are 228 titles in the database at the minute, which is includes some retired belts for the bigger promotions. That results in 5,825 title lineage records which was not the most fun I've ever had! As I've mentioned before @Almaida has been doing some fantastic belt graphics. They've had to pause that work for a bit but at some point we'll finish those off.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, chase317 said:

If I could make a small request, please include Dick the Bruiser's WWA in Indianapolis. 

The AI doesn't tend to deal with promotions the size of WWA in this era unfortunately (it's the problem I'm running into with Reslo particularly). I have, however, added a number of their key workers (Stormy Granzig, Spike Huber, Saul Creatchman....why do they all begin with S?!) and their title lineages. I'll also do a logo so that if you want you can select Dick the Bruiser as your UC, start your own company and then bring in the titles, use the correct logo etc.

• Like 2

Just following on from that for @chase317, I've run through the WWA World and Tag champions from 1986 to the end of the promotion and the only workers I don't have already in the mod are Golden Lion (Dick the Bruiser Jr), The Russian Brute (who doesn't appear in the lineage on Cagematch but does on Wikipedia, I think it must be George Petrovsky), Mikey Doyle and Polynesian Wildman and Prince Mama Mohammad. If I can find details then I'll add them in. From watching some footage of Polynesia Wildman, he looks to be the same worker as Super Samoan Sakalia (who is already in) from PPW. I can't be 100% sure, but he looks awfully similar in build, style and wild hair. Prince Mama Mohammad looks vaguely familiar but I can't place him or find any info. I'm also in the process of adding refs Johnny Shorn and Connie Marker and announcer Terry Sullivan so you should be able to pull together a starting roster relatively easily.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 9:01 PM, jhd1 said:

Apologies for the lack of updates, but it's for a good reason; I've been slaving away adding a lot of polish to this, including the stats for the first near-200 future workers (there are more than that, but I've got 80 still to do). @Dalton has been providing some awesome feedback to finalise promotions and I've managed to get the number of people missing pictures down to 7 (at the time of writing there are 1659 workers, so not bad!). Just in case anyone reading this fancies going on a hunt, those workers are:

• El Magnifico (the original who became El Justiciero, I can't find him in his old gimmick)
  • Phil Belanger
  • Referee Ed Faulk
  • Referee Jimmy McGuire
  • Referee Marty Miller
  • Richard Charland (struggling to find a decent image of him in or around 1986)
  • Thunderbolt Hamilton (Larry Hamilton; I think he played Kaluha at one of the Clash of the Champions so I might just use that)

I'm also in the process of recreating the promotion logos in Inkscape (rather than GIMP) which provides a much cleaner line for the worker images to sit in and hide their rough GIF edges.

Watcher balancing continues as well with new narratives to close the AWA and UWF working well. They are currently set to AI only at 100% chance of occurring, but are clearly marked in the editor so people can tweak this is they like. My fudging of the CSP/WWC finances through narratives seems to be working too (again, these are marked if players want to remove from the editor).

Overall things are really taking shape. Can't say when the mod would be released, I'll need a bit more feedback about playability first but it's definitely feeling positive at the minute. As before, anyone interesting in testing just drop me a PM :)

PhilBelanger.jpg.05b4e159aa68fd7be1af74b6e4db449a.jpgThis is the Phil Belanger pic I have in my pack for the 92 mod. It is the only picture I have ever found of him.

RichardCharland_alt.jpg.c7dd15bcbabd176ed267744044561fa6.jpgThis is as close to 1986 I can find for Richard Charland (I believe this was taken between 85-87). 

RichardCharland_alt2.jpg.9b2839694c9ab5b40429d227b3fa1f62.jpg(one of Richard Charlands alter ego if you want it) Richard "Le Magnifique"

RichardCharland_alt3.jpg.4d9e1e26d7827848b107d15566bec982.jpgNot entirely sure but this looks to be Charland from the 80's as well.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as I missed the mid-week number-crunching update, that'll come later today or tomorrow. Things are really progressing though which is very encouraging.

In the meantime, I ran a three-year watcher which has given some fun results. As usual Central States, Reslo and Polynesian Pro Wrestling have closed. The UWF is heavily in debt, and will almost certainly close soon - they usually close in 1987 due to the narrative but I think this particular watcher has had a particularly strong economy so most promotions are making lots (and lots) of money. In terms of results, here are the biggest events of the "Big 5" over the course of the watcher:

World Wrestling Federation

Best event of 1988 - Summerslam 1988 (Mid Atlantic, 97,000 fans, 96 rating)

• Hulk Hogan def. Ric Flair for the WWF World Heavyweight title
  • Andre the Giant & Nikolai Volkoff def. Ricky Steamboat & Randy Savage
  • The Hart Foundation def. Tito Santana & JYD for the WWF World Tag Team titles
  • Roddy Piper def. King Tonga
  • Pedro Morales def. King Kong Bundy for the WWF Intercontinental title
  • Paul Orndorff def. Davey Boy Smith
  • Tiger Chung Lee & Bob Orton Jr & Terry Funk def. Greg Valentine & Killer Bees
  • Big John Studd def. Cousin Luke
  • Misty Blue Simmes & Debbie Combs def. Despina Montagas & Penny Mitchell
  • Candice Pardue def. Linda Gonzales by count out in a match that had been for the WWF Women's title

Best event of 1987 - Wrestlemania III (Mid West, 77,000 fans, 94 rating)

• Roddy Piper def. Randy Savage to retain the WWF World Heavyweight title
  • Hulk Hogan def. Ric Flair
  • Junkyard Dog def. Adrian Adonis by DQ in a match that had been for the WWF Intercontinental  title
  • Paul Orndorff & Andre the Giant def. Ricky Steamboat & Tito Santana
  • The Dream Team def. The Hart Foundation to retain the WWF World Tag Team titles
  • Nikolai Volkoff def. Pedro Morales
  • Mike Sharpe def. Davey Boy Smith
  • The Heenan Family (Bundy, Hercules & Big John Studd) def. Hillbilly Jim, Lanny Poffo & Barry O
  • Dawn Marie Johnston def. Candice Pardue to retain the WWF Women's title

Best event of 1986 - Wrestlemania II (Jacksonville, FL, 58,985 fans, 94 rating)

• Randy Savage def. Hulk Hogan to retain the WWF World Heavyweight title
  • Andre the Giant def. Paul Orndorff
  • Roddy Piper def. Junkyard Dog
  • Tito Santana def. Big John Studd to retain the WWF Intercontinental title
  • The Magnificent Muraco def. King Kong Bundy
  • Ricky Steamboat def. Nikolai Volkoff
  • Bob Orton Jr & Terry Funk def. Tony Atlas & Pedro Morales
  • The Hart Foundation def. The Dream Team to retain the WWF World Tag Team titles
  • George Steele & The British Bulldogs def. Ivan Putski, Mike Sharpe & King Tonga
  • The Fabulous Moolah def. Candice Pardue to retain the WWF Women's title
  • Velvet McIntyre def. Dawn Marie Johnston

World Championship Wrestling

Best event of 1988 - The Great American Bash (Charlotte, NC, 25,644 fans, 77 rating)

• Tully Blanchard def. Magnum TA
  • The Rock'n'Roll Express def. Road Warrior Animal & Big Bubba Rogers to retain the NWA World Tag Team titles
  • Nikita Koloff def. Mark Fleming
  • Ivan Koloff def. Pat Tanaka to retain the NWA United States Heavyweight title
  • Harley Race def. Rocky King
  • Gene Ligon def. Shaska Whatley to retain the NWA National Heavyweight title
  • Sgt Slaughter, Manny Fernandez & Alan Martin def. Jimmy Valiant, Denny Brown & George South

Best event of 1987 - NWA Starrcade (Baltimore, MD, 33,553, 84 rating)

• Tully Blanchard def. Nikita Koloff to retain the NWA World's Heavyweight title
  • Dusty Rhodes def. Don Muraco
  • Gene Ligon & The Rock 'n' Roll Express def. Manny Fernandez, Sgt Slaughter & Ole Anderson
  • Dennis Condrey def. Black Bart for the NWA National Heavyweight title
  • Krusher Kruschev def. Pat Tanaka to retain the NWA World Television title
  • Don Kernodle, Big Bubba Rogers & Bill Tabb def. Jimmy Valiant, Rocky King & Mark Fleming for the NWA World Six-Man Tag Team titles

Best event of 1986 - NWA Starrcade (Charlotte, NC, 37,947 fans, 75 rating)

• Harley Race def. Dusty Rhodes to retain the NWA World's Heavyweight title
  • Tully Blanchard & Ole Anderson def. Road Warriors for the NWA World Tag Team titles
  • Nikita Koloff def. Magnum TA
  • Arn Anderson def. Black Bart by DQ in a match that had been for the NWA National Heavyweight title
  • The Rock 'n' Roll Express def. The Midnight Express to retain the NWA Mid-Atlantic Tag Team titles
  • The Barbarian def. Manny Fernandez by count out
  • Don Kernodle, Ron Bass & Big Bubba Rogers def. Jimmy Valiant, Rocky King & Mark Fleming
  • Krusher Kruschev def. Gene Ligon
  • Denny Brown & George South def. The Jeffers

American Wrestling Association

Best event of 1988 - WrestleRock 1988 (Minneapolis, MN, 8,955 fans, 69 rating)

• Stan Hansen def. Brutus Beefcake to retain the AWA World Heavyweight title
  • Kerry Von Erich def. Steve Williams
  • Jimmy Garvin & Steve Regal def. Doug Somers & Steve Olsonoski
  • The Long Riders def. Colonel DeBeers & Rick Gantner to retain the AWA World Tag Team titles
  • Kamala, Leon White & Jerry Blackwell def. Kelly Kiniski, Jake Milliman & Isao Takagi
  • Greg Gagne def. Kevin Kelly
  • Buddy Roberts def. Dave Wagner
  • Brad Rheingans def. Mike Richards
  • Kat LeRoux def. Terri Shane

Best event of 1987 - Brawl in St Paul 1987 (Saint Paul, MN, 3,672 fans, 74 rating)

• Jimmy Garvin def. Terry Gordy to retain the AWA World Heavyweight title
  • Stan Hansen def. Brad Rheingans
  • Rick Martel def. Boris Zhukov
  • Sheik Adnan & Colonel DeBeers & Rick Gantner def. Greg Gagne & The Long Riders
  • Leon White def. Spike Jones
  • Michael Hayes & Buddy Roberts def. Jake Milliman & Shunji Takano
  • Velvet McIntyre def. Kat LeRoux to retain the AWA World Women's title
  • Misty Blue Simmes def. Despina Montagas

Best event of 1986 - SuperClash II (Minneapolis, MN, 7,645 fans, 61 rating)

• Larry Zbyszko def. Stan Hansen to retain the AWA World Heavyweight title
  • Nick Bockwinkel def. Greg Gagne
  • Nord the Barbarian def. Sgt Slaughter for the AWA America's title
  • Verne Gagne def. Rick Martel
  • Jimmy Garvin & Steve Regal def. Curt Hennig & Scott Hall
  • Sheik Adnan, Colonel DeBeers & Rick Gantner def. Jerry Blackwell & The Long Riders
  • Kat LeRoux def. Candi Devine
  • Debbie Combs def. Despina Montagas for the AWA World Women's title

New Japan Pro Wrestling

Best event of 1988 - IWGP Champion Series 1988 (Shikoku, 20,000 fans, 96 rating)

• Akira Maeda def. Tatsumi Fujinami to win the IWGP League
  • Tatsumi Fujinami def. The Cobra
  • Akira Maeda def. Kengo Kimura
  • Black Tiger def. Kantaro Hoshino to retain the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title
  • The Cobra def. Nobuhiko Takada
  • Tatsumi Fujinami def. Antonio Inoki
  • Akira Maeda def. Shinya Hashimoto
  • Kengo Kimura def. Genichiro Tenryu
  • Akio Sato & The US Express def. Kengo Nagasaki, Keiichi Yamada & Norio Honaga
  • Osamu Kido & Shiro Koshinaka def. Apollo Sugawara & Tatsutoshi Goto
  • Mike Miller, Jim Duggan & Yang Seung-Hi def. Black Cat, Johnny Mantell & The Jackal

Best event of 1987 - Big Fighter Series 1987 (Sendai, 38,784 fans, 89 rating)

• Antonio Inoki & Akira Maeda def. Kengo Kimura & Tatsumi Fujinami
  • Yoshiaki Fujiwara def. Shunji Kosugi
  • The cobra & Kendo Nagasaki def. Don Arakawa & Tatsutoshi Goto to retain the IWGP Tag Team titles
  • Kantaro Hoshino, Jim Duggan & Yang Seung-Hi def. Black Cat, Shinya Hashimoto & Mike Miller
  • Black Tiger, Johnny Mantell & The Jackal def. Osamu Kido, Keiichi Yamada & Tatsuo Nakano
  • Shiro Koshinaka def. Kazuo Yamazaki
  • Matt Borne def. Shigeo Miyato
  • Akira Nogami def. Scorpio
  • Keiji Mutoh def. Masakatsu Funaki

Best event of 1986 - Japan Cup Tag Team League 1986 (Hiroshima, 35,144 fans, 88 rating)

• Tatsumi Fujinami def. Antonio Inoki to retain the IWGP Heavyweight title
  • The Cobra, Yoshiaki Fujiwara & Akira Maeda def. Masa Chono, Kantaro Hoshino & Kengo Kimura
  • Tony St Clair def. Nobuhiko Takada to retain the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title
  • Don Arakawa & Tatsutoshi Goto def. Jim Duggan & Yang Seung-Hi to win the Japan Cup Tag League
  • Shiro Koshinaka def. Osamu Kido to retain the WWF World Martial Arts Heavyweight title
  • Don Arakawa & Tatusotoshi Goto def. Johnny Mantell & The Jackal
  • Jim Duggan & Yang Seung-Hi def. Keiichi Yamada & Tatsuo Nakano
  • Black Tiger, Hirokazu Hata & Kazuo Yamazaki def. Kendo Nagasaki, Shinya Hashimoto & Mike Miller
  • Shunji Kosugi & Akira Katayama def. The Wild Warriors

All Japan Pro Wrestling

Best event of 1988 - Champion Carnival 1988 (Osaka, 33,304 fans, 83 rating)

• Stan Hansen def. Tiger Mask II to win the Champions Carnival
  • Stan Hansen def. Yoshiaki Yatsu
  • Tiger Mask II def. Kuniaki Kobayashi
  • Ted DiBiase def. Rusher Kimura to retain the NWA United Nationatl title
  • Isamu Teranishi, Jumbo Tsuruta & Great Kojika def. Dory Funk Jr, Tiger Jeet Singh & Killer Khan
  • Mighty Inoue & Haru Sonoda def. Mil Mascaras & Masanobu Kurisu to retain the NWA International Tag Team titles
  • Animal Hamaguchi, Ashura Hara & Takashi Ishikawa def. Shinichi Nakano, Mitsuo Momota & Shunji Takano
  • Kuniaki Kobayashi def. Toshiaki Kawada
  • Tiger Mask II def. Giant Baba
  • Stan Hansen def. Masanobu Fuchi
  • Yoshiaki Yatsu def. Hrio Saito
  • Apollo Sugawara & Masahiko Takasugi def. Motoshi Okuma & Hiromichi Fuyuki)

Best event of 1987 - Champion Carnival 1987 (Tokyo, 36,555 fans, 85 rating)

• Jumbo Tsuruta def. Tiger Jeet Singh to win the Champion Carnival
  • Riki Choshu def. Mighty Inoue to retain the NWA International Heavyweight title
  • Tiger Jeet Singh def. Killer Khan
  • Jumbo Tsuruta def. Genichiro Tenryu
  • Kuniaki Kobayashi def. Ashura Hara to retain the NWA United National title
  • US Express def. Isamu Teranishi & Haruka Eigen to retain the NWA International Tag Team titles
  • Jumbo Tsuruta def. Animal Hamaguchi
  • Genichiro Tenryu def. Dory Funk Jr
  • Killer Khan def. Masanobu Fuchi
  • Tiger Jeet Singh def. Stan Hansen
  • Ryuma Go & Hiromichi Fuyuki def. Ted DiBiase & Takashi Ishikawa to retain the PWF World Tag Team titles
  • Tiger Mask II, Shinichi Nakano & Hiroshi Wajima def. Rusher Kimura, Goro Tsurimi & Apollo Sugawara
  • Mil Mascaras & Masanobu Kurisu def. Mitsuo Momota & Norio Honaga
  • Motoshi Okuma, Toshiaki Kawada & Great Kojika def. Hiro Saito, Yoshihiro Momota & Rocky Hata
  • Akio Sato & Fumihiro Niikura def. Krusher Kruschev & Tom Magee

Best event of 1986 - New Year Wars Super Battle 1986 (Hiroshima, 9,614 fans, 86 rating)

• Jumbo Tsuruta def. Riki Choshu to retain the NWA International Heavyweight title
  • Stan Hansen def. Rusher Kimura to retain the PWF World Heavyweight title
  • Tiger Jeet Singh & Giant Baba def. Motoshi Okuma & Ashura Hara
  • Killer Khan def. Dory Funk Jr
  • Kuniaki Kobayashi, Yoshiaki Yatsu & Animal Hamaguchi def. Tiger Mask II, Mighty Inoue & Haru Sonoda
  • Takashi Ishikawa & US Express def. Masanobu Fuchi, Ryuma Go & Hiromichi Fuyuki
  • Isamu Teranishi def. Shunji Takano
  • Great Kojika def. Goro Tsurimi
  • Haruka Eigen def. Apollo Sugawara
  • Like 4

Things continue to progress really well with the mod. The worker numbers now stand at:

Active: 1,463

Yet to debut: 425

Total: 1,888

I've been adding a combination of yet to debut wrestlers and backstage workers so that the mod should continue to function. Finding referees is quite tricky but it's something the AI usually works out if there aren't enough so I'm not too concerned. The YTD workers run, for the large part, into the mid-1990s although there are obviously a lot more than need to be added before we could consider this "complete". The big thing at the minute is adding more Japanese graduates (particularly joshi workers). I've also been adding in the basic (non-gimmick) attributes to active workers. It's slow and boring but is going to be useful in the long run. All of those workers have at least a default image as well and I'm slowly pulling together ager pictures and alter-egos. Those will continue to be added post-initial release. I'm also finishing up the logos for the mod which will include some promotion agers as well.

We're continuing to run longer-term watchers which is proving really useful, particularly in adjusting the AI owner settings to keep the game feeling as realistic as possible. The mod also plays well and so we're hoping to release an alpha version in a couple of weeks. Calling it an alpha is perhaps a bit harsh, but it's meant to make it clear that it is really not finished yet, but it will hopefully get people playing and finding the outstanding issues while I continue to add polish. Keep an eye out for that and please do give it a try when it lands!

I'll do another post later this week with a short overview of some of the promotions. As ever, if anyone particularly wants to see/hear about something please let me know,

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone; between Wrestlemania weekend and illness I've not done very much on this for a couple of weeks, but I'm still hoping for an alpha release by the end of this month. It'll be very playable, it will just need more future workers and promotions adding and it'd be a good chance for people to get stuck in and find any issues.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1