Text of Last Night's Chat?

Part 1. Here is what happened while I was there. I had to leave around 10:00 (Gary_GDS) hi Scott (ScottVib) Hi Gary (Danny) Hey guys (GreenMonster) hey me (uhh) hey (ScottVib) welcome. (GreenMonster) gary, great game one of my favorite sims (Gary_GDS) thank you (GreenMonster) mind if i fire of a few things (ScottVib) go for it (GreenMonster) ok between my friends and i we have played countless hours (GreenMonster) one thing is money *** [GD]Tara (_GD_Tara@c-24-2-183-40.client.comcast.net) has joined channel #GDS ([GD]Tara) hi guys (GreenMonster) seems like i can either get more than i need with a team like the celtics and can't make any with others like the hawks (GreenMonster) its hard to adjust the ticket prices with no reference (Gary_GDS) ok are you playing with inflation turned on? (GreenMonster) yes (Gary_GDS) how is Atlanta doing in the league (GreenMonster) about avg playoffs every other year (GreenMonster) i can lower prices but never get them in a good range (Gary_GDS) part of it is the market size Im sure and also the "historical" fan base (uhh) maybe some kind of an auto-set button would help.. (GreenMonster) or just how many of each level is being sold so you know what to raise/lower (GreenMonster) another thing is 2nd round picks (GreenMonster) i have yet to see a micheal redd like player (Gary_GDS) ok with the amount sold per level its a split - each arena is split up the same way. x% is courtside seats, y% is lower level etc (Gary_GDS) so if attendance is say 50% for the game then half of each type of seat is sold (GreenMonster) ok (GreenMonster) that helps (Gary_GDS) also how many seasons in are you talking? (GreenMonster) 5-6 (GreenMonster) if i sell out one year will my fan loyalty rise? (Gary_GDS) slightly (Gary_GDS) but it takes a sustained effort, especially with Atlanta (GreenMonster) i see (GreenMonster) what about late 1st/2nd round picks (uhh) does signing big free agents or trading shaq affect fan loyalty? (Gary_GDS) there are sleepers or guys who develop better than they should but it really depends on drafting. Those things are determined before the draft - its not like the game looks through the 2nd round picks and makes him a sleeper (Gary_GDS) so if a team does a good job scouting they usually can pick up on a guy that might be a little under the radar (Gary_GDS) and yes, having very popular players on your team will help raise fan interest (uhh) thanks (Danny) Just for reference, although not often, I have seen a 2nd round pick develop into someone around the same level as a Michael Redd. (GreenMonster) yes i have seen in the forum but never in the game (GreenMonster) gary trading is the best i have seen (Gary_GDS) its rare - I mean how often has it happened in the NBA? :) (GreenMonster) well guys make it undrafted all the time.......agreed *** JohnCraven (johnny_sli@c-24-2-183-40.client.comcast.net) has joined channel #gds (Gary_GDS) thank you, I spent a LOT of time with the trade AI. TPB isnt on the level of other text sims in some areas but in trading I think its one of the best if not the best AI out there (ScottVib) welcome Johnny (Danny) Hello John (JohnCraven) Gary, I've got to say that the fact that forwards don't shoot 40% from the floor is in and of itself reason why TPB is the best basketball sim out there (JohnCraven) hello everybody ([GD]Tara) hi JohnCraven (Gary_GDS) hi John, the shooting percentages were looked at very closely this time trying to get players to play as different players rather than just being able to shoot the same percentage no matter if its a dunk or a 15 footer (GreenMonster) does playing time affect rookie development much (JohnCraven) at the risk of monopolizing things the second I've come in... any chance of adding an era adjustor a la OOTP, so those of us who'd like to see 1980s basketball could get our wish? (Gary_GDS) playing time is a MAJOR factor in rookie and young player development (Gary_GDS) John, as for an era adjuster thats something to consider for a future version for sure. I think it would be interesting to play without the 3 point line or even the shot clock :) (ScottVib) I agree (JohnCraven) ...or with a 3-pointer that's not used as often, and an environment where you can have short white guy from Spokane average 18 points and 14 dimes over a 4 year period (ScottVib) being able to tweak the rules a little could be neat for those of us who like fictional leagues (JohnCraven) *a* short white guy from Spokane (Danny) I agree, the more customization that can be added the better (JohnCraven) hey, speaking of which, obviously you can already do this in a way manually, and by the way the normalization feature was a great touch, but it'd be great if you could turn off the international and developmental leagues too (Gary_GDS) you can turn off allowing international players into the draft (JohnCraven) Really? Color me corrected then. (Gary_GDS) at least I think you can :) I better check (ScottVib) I know we at the very least talked about it at one point. :P (I haven't tried in my games) (JohnCraven) Kudos, btw, to the added defensive stats... they're a great way to track who on your team is pulling their weight defensively and who isn't... i've always hated just looking at blocks and steals for that kind of thing (Gary_GDS) yes there should be an option to turn off allowing international players and high school players to enter the draft (Gary_GDS) thanks John, thats a big reason why I did it. That way you really get a better idea of who's doing what out there (JohnCraven) One minor nitpick... this is MILES better than the way TPB2k3 handled players, but I still see the AI giving 30 minutes a night to guys who shoot 35% from the floor... you'd think that at some level, after some number of years, a real life coach would say "I don't care what this guy's assist to turnover ratio is, he's killing us every time he shoots" (uhh) so if they're not drafted can you sign them during the free agent period? (JohnCraven) Actually, in real life, that player would be instructed to a. work on his jumper like mad and b. never, ever shoot from the floor upon pain of death (Gary_GDS) yes any undrafted player can be signed in free agency (Gary_GDS) depends on the player John (Gary_GDS) you gonna tell Iverson to stop shooting? (JohnCraven) haha true but Ivey don't shoot 35% from the floor (GreenMonster) guys like iverson and ben gordon kill me cause the are nice offensive but get killed on D (JohnCraven) Occasionally he drops below 40% if he's injured or something but 40% seems to be something of the NBA Mendoza Line (Gary_GDS) last year he shot 38% (JohnCraven) I guess Nick Van Exel's a better example of that, but even he shoots probably 43 or 44% from inside the arc (Gary_GDS) this year he's doing better though (Gary_GDS) if a guy is taking a ton of shots at 35% and not contributing much elsewhere then yes, he should be sitting (Gary_GDS) but if the guy shoots 35% on 3 shots a night but gets 12 boards and 2 blocks then he's gonna play (JohnCraven) Iverson's 38% includes 12 or 13 free throws a game too, you have to take that into account (uhh) not to mention the tickets he sells ;) (JohnCraven) heh, I have never ever seen a player shoot 35% with 12 boards IRL... it seems like with crappy post players, they only shoot when they're wide open... even Jim McIlvaine shot in the mid 40s from the floor, and he was as bad a post player as I have ever seen

Part 2 (uhh) any idea when the next gds product will be revealed? (JohnCraven) Oh yeah! I know Arlie Rahn's on board... any chance there's going to be a TPF2k5? (Gary_GDS) probably in a couple of months - we generally don't talk about new products until they're pretty close to completion (ScottVib) Gary's got it right (Danny) Yeah (ScottVib) as you can see from TPB 2005, we've had pretty good luck with this approach (ScottVib) :) *** PlayTheGame (hell@c-24-2-183-40.client.comcast.net) has joined channel #gds (ScottVib) and it will be the GDS model for new product announcements (JohnCraven) After the debacle that was .400 Software Studios (not your guys' fault, I know), I don't blame you ([GD]Tara) Hi PlayTheGame (PlayTheGame) hi there *** PlayTheGame is now known as bplotkin (Danny) Hello bplotkin (bplotkin) we seem to be outnumbered by developers here :) (bplotkin) although im quite late (bplotkin) missed most of the fun, i see (ScottVib) nah.. only one developer in the house... the rest of us are hangers on ;) (ScottVib) :P (GreenMonster) lol (bplotkin) LOL--mind if i ask what that last question was? (Gary_GDS) lol (bplotkin) the model for new product announcements (Gary_GDS) last question was about when the next gds game will be announced (ScottVib) the last question was "when are we going to find out what the next GDS product" is (bplotkin) let me guess..."when it's done"? (ScottVib) the answer is when it's closer to being ready (bplotkin) :-) (bplotkin) if it's good enough for DNF... ;-) (uhh) i was hearing rumors of college football... =) (ScottVib) we'll be following the same model as TPB 2005, which is to announce the game closer to when it's ready (JohnCraven) back to b-ball, on the "more customization options" area, can you add the ability to expand or contract leagues in future versions? (bplotkin) yea that would be nice. just downloaded the demo to TPB...wow. still have to get my mi *** Signoff: bplotkin (Quit: ) (Gary_GDS) yeah expansion was something I looked at this time but there were so many new things it just didnt make the cut (uhh) that might be difficult, relocation would probably be the logical next step, which is still cool (Gary_GDS) I dont know if contraction will be a possibility but expansion will be in some version as will relocation (ScottVib) you can of course move the teams currently through the commissioners office (Gary_GDS) well, "real" relocation as opposed to how it is now when you can just pick up and move a team whenever (uhh) yep (ScottVib) not "full" relocation, but workable (ScottVib) yeah I know :P (ScottVib) great minds.... (Gary_GDS) lol (JohnCraven) relocation is a great addition, I have to agree... I've got the Atlanta "Eagles" playing in Buffalo, the Utah "Blues" in New Orleans, and the Sacramento "Monarchs" in Kansas City (ScottVib) old school (ScottVib) should have sent Sacramento back to Rochester... bring back the Royals ;) (uhh) are there anymore updates planned with the 2k5 version? (JohnCraven) haha the "Spartans" are in San Francisco too... I almost stuck them back in Philly, but then I'd have to move the "Freedom", and the Philadelphia Freedom is the greatest fake name for a team ever (JohnCraven) Every time I see that name, I think of the Elton John song hahahahaha (Gary_GDS) yes, there will be a version 1.4 - there's still a couple minor issues to address and I really wanted to add a player HTML page if possible (uhh) that would be cool (Gary_GDS) since there's a couple guys here - does anyone here play tournament dreams or fast break college basketball? (JohnCraven) no and no... not a big college b-ball fan, myself (uhh) the demos =p (Gary_GDS) that's cool - some guys are pro guys, others are college (uhh) im waiting to purchase a gary gorski college basketball sim ;) (GreenMonster) no not me (Gary_GDS) well I will be looking for a new project to work on when Im satisfied with how TPB 2005 stands so that might be a possibility at some point :) (uhh) *crosses fingers* (Gary_GDS) but of course first is working on the next update to TPB 05 and then considering what to do next (uhh) gds needs more developers (JohnCraven) I want to re-iterate that even though I pointed out that FG% thing, whatever system you use to create players is MILES better than last year... no more guys with 6 TOs a game, no more point guards shooting 34% from the floor (JohnCraven) GDS needs a statistically savvy idea man (JohnCraven) just kidding (Gary_GDS) yeah, Im much happier with the players that are being created now - they're much more "normal" than some of the guys 03 created (JohnCraven) I remember there was a Chinese guy in an '03 league I did that averaged like 19 boards a game over a 3 year period (Gary_GDS) lol, wow (JohnCraven) Chinese Dennis Rodman hahaha (uhh) whos your pick to win the championship gary? *** Paul (Paul@c-24-2-183-40.client.comcast.net) has joined channel #GDS (JohnCraven) The game's also a LOT less buggy... I know from the experience of buying games from small ventures how tough it is to make something that doesn't crash all the time, and I have to say that you guys did a hell of a job there too (uhh) yea they did, this sim is solid.. (JohnCraven) I don't think Derek Smart ever made a verion of Battlecruiser that didn't give you a BSOD every hour or so (Gary_GDS) you know, I don't know. I think Detroit will pick up the pace and win the East again but I think that maybe the Spurs will take it all (JohnCraven) aww man, the Sonics KILLED the Spurs two times this year (well, they only killed them once, but they beat them pretty handily in SA the other time) (Gary_GDS) thanks, we had a couple guys put alot of hours into testing the heck out of it before we released it (Gary_GDS) I dunno John, there's something about the Sonics I don't like but I don't know what it is. For some reason I think they're not going to be able to keep that up in the post season

[QUOTE=ps2MattM]It went on for about twenty minutes or so after that.. Maximus go on msn more! I hit my goal on the college football sim and I can create leagues now! :)[/QUOTE] Send me your msn user name (hotmail email) again. My wife deleted all my msn "buddies" by accident. :(

Archived