NWA: Wrestling At War [RW Mod, 1996]

National Wrestling Alliance - Wikipedia

The year is 1996, and professional wrestling looks very different from the reality that you know. Vince McMahon is in prison, and he’s not getting out for another four years; everything went south in the steroid trial, leaving Vince and the entire World Wrestling Federation disgraced.

But, that’s not the only thing that’s different… sure, Hulkamania happened, and it was huge business for World Star Wrestling. You know what was even bigger for the World Wrestling Federation? Macho Madness, and Randy Savage. You know what was huge for the National Wrestling Alliance? When Randy Savage jumped ship. Lots of things are different; we’re going to jump right in, but you can find out more HERE.

With Vince in prison starting in 1993, for now, wrestling is at war!

Eric Bischoff is at the helm of Hollywood Championship Wrestling, and he’s captained a meteoric rise in the wrestling industry with “Hollywood” Hulk Hogan and Shawn Michaels looking like the hottest stars in town. Michaels left Stamford for Hollywood after what became known within the industry as “The Baltimore Screwjob,” losing the WWF World title in controversial fashion to his supposed best friend, Hunter Hearst Helmsley.

Hot on their coattails are Bret Hart and Canada’s World Star Wrestling crew, where wrestling is presented on ESPN as a real sport. Born from an alliance between Stu Hart’s Stampede Wrestling and Verne Gagne’s American Wrestling Association, WSW continues to be the flagbearer for in-ring action and world class technical wrestling.

The southern states combined forces into the United State Wrestling Association, hoping the combined star power of The King of Memphis, Jerry “The King” Lawler and Texas’ favorite sons, the Von Erich boys would be enough to put them on the map.

The dark horse of it all? Shane McMahon and Paul Heyman’s “Attitude Era” in the World Wrestling Federation. Relegated to late night television on MTV, WWF Attitude has really taken off as Shane & Heyman take the WWF in a different direction, one that might seem familiar but different from reality.

But, our story focuses on tradition and heritage, wrestling as it should be: the National Wrestling Alliance. What are the hottest stories in the NWA? Well, look no further than the results of NWA Starrcade 1995, coming soon!

===

OOC ACKNOWLEDGMENT: I wanna thank @OGpistolpete for all his hard work on the Wrestling at War mod; Vince leaving/being forced from the business and what happens after that has always been a favorite fantasy booking scenario of mine, and I feel like it’s been a long time since I’ve dove into the scenario myself. Thanks to @Mammoth for the custom belts, and the folks who put together the NGO picture packs for having so much to offer in the way of choices for worker pics.

• Like 1

NATIONAL WRESTLING ALLIANCE

CHAMPION ROLL CALL

NWA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

image.jpeg

CURRENT CHAMPION: THE UNDERTAKER

image.jpeg

The premier championship of the National Wrestling Alliance, and one of the most well respected championships in all of wrestling. Held in recent years by the likes of Sting, "Macho Man" Randy Savage, and "Nature Boy" Ric Flair, the current champion is "The Phenom," The Undertaker, who began his first Reign of Terror as champion in December of 1995 by defeating Sting in a Buried Alive match!

===

NWA HERITAGE CHAMPION

image.jpeg

CURRENT CHAMPION: FAAROOQ

image.jpeg

The secondary championship of the National Wrestling Alliance, the NWA Heritage title is a belt designed to pay tribute to the heritage of the wrestlers who came before it. By honoring wrestlers like Lou Thesz and Bruno Sammartino, wrestlers often hope to use a Heritage title reign as a catalyst towards the NWA World title. Current champion Faarooq claims the title does not stand for "his heritage."

===

NWA TELEVISION CHAMPION

image.jpeg

CURRENT CHAMPION: "BAD ASS" BILLY GUNN

image.jpeg

The teriary championship of the National Wrestling Alliance, defended on nearly every televised event with a 15-minute time limit on televsion and 20-minute time limit on pay-per-view events. Any challenger who takes the champion to a time limit draw is guaranteed a future title shot. Current champion "Bad Ass" Billy Gunn won the championship from multi-time champion Lord Steven Regal.

===

NWA CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPION

Untitled-1.jpg

CURRENT CHAMPION: TBD

CNULaunched in January 1996, the NWA Cruiserweight division was setup to showcase the NWA's smaller, faster athletes. An eight-man tournament, culminating at NWA Superbrawl VI in February, will crown the inaugural champion.

===

NWA TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS

image.jpeg

CURRENT CHAMPIONS: THE HORSEMEN

image.jpeg image.jpeg

The primary championship for tag teams in the National Wrestling Alliance, current champions are also perrenial champions in members of the legendary Four Horsemen. The current tag team iteration of The Horsemen team includes Dean Malenko and Dan Severn.

Edited by falling_star

image.jpeg

NATIONAL WRESTLING ALLIANCE PRESENTS STARRCADE 1995

IN THE MAIN EVENT FOR THE NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER… A BURIED ALIVE MATCH!

NWA WORLD CHAMPION STING DEFENDS AGAINST “THE PHENOM” THE UNDERTAKER

In a match that Jim Ross said wasn’t just for the NWA World Championship, but for the very soul of the National Wrestling Alliance, the face-painted fan favorite Sting looked to defend against “The Phenom!” The two brawled all over the arena, and Sting gave it his all, but, in the end, he was no match for The Undertaker, Paul Bearer, and the mysterious urn carried by the ghoulish Bearer. After a shot to the head from the urn, and a Tombstone Piledriver that sent him into the grave, The Undertaker emerged victorious and buried The Stinger alive! How long will it be before we see Sting again? Will he be the same man when returns from the grave? Only time will tell.

A GRUDGE MATCH IN A STEEL CAGE!

“MACHO MAN” RANDY SAVAGE TAKES ON “TOP DOLLAR” TED DIBIASE

Savage and DiBiase were involved in a several months long feud heading into this cage match, which centered around a sleazy moment of “Top Dollar” Ted hiring a private investigator to stalk Miss Elizabeth! DiBiase planned to release revealing pictures of the First Last of the Wrestling if he won the night, but the match, and Elizabeth’s modesty, was saved by the “Macho Man!” Savage even put his own exclamation mark on things by winning the match with a Flying Elbow Drop from the top of the cage onto DiBiase in the center of the ring below!

NWA HERITAGE TITLE ON THE LINE

CHAMPION BRITISH BULLDOG DEFENDS AGAINST THE MILITANT FAAROOQ

The former All-American Ron Simmon has turned his back on roots in recent months, founding the radical Nation of Domination and setting out to bring the NWA as a whole down a peg or two. The British Bulldog took exception to a lot of what Faarooq had to say, which led to this Starrcade clash that saw Faarooq triumph over the Bulldog after some outside shenanigans by Elijah Hassan, Shaka Brown, and Muhammed X– otherwise known as Faarooq’s Nation of Domination cohorts. A post-match, 4-on-1 beatdown by the Nation leaves us to wonder heading into the new year when we might see the Bulldog again.

NO DISQUALIFICATIONS TAG TITLE MATCH

THE HORSEMEN DEFEND AGAINST THE NEW BLACKJACKS

One of the summer’s hottest rivalries was reignited in the winter, and this time the stakes were even higher: the NWA Tag Team titles were involved! After one title match ended in controversial fashion based on the use of the Blackjacks’ bullrope, a No DQ match was made between the two teams for Starrcade. The wild brawl saw the match come to an end when Dean Malenko and Dan Devern both used part of the bullrope to loop around Blackjack Mulligan Jr. and Blackjack Windham’s mouth and head to force the submission! While most would consider this the Blackjacks getting a taste of their own medicine, the dastardly heels have cried foul and claim to have a powerful new ally on their side! Who will it be?

TELEVISION TITLE TRIPLE THREAT!

NWA TELEVISION CHAMPION BILLY GUNN FENDS OFF BUDDY LANDEL AND LORD STEVEN REGAL

After defeating then-champion Lord Steven Regal for the NWA Television title in September, Billy Gunn found out what it was like to have a target on his back. Fending off multiple challengers, he was also taken to the limit by two of them: Buddy Landel and Lord Steven Regal. Both wrestlers took Billy Gunn to the 15 minute time TV time limit and, thus, earned themselves a title match on pay-per-view! But, for the first time ever in the NWA, two men were top contenders, so “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes, Head Representative for the NWA Board of Directors, came up with a solution: “a triple threat, daddy!” Gunn would defend against both top contenders, and whoever emerged victorious with the first pinfall would be the champion! “Bad Ass” earned his name on this night at Starrcade, coming out the unlikely winner when he was at a disadvantage heading into the bout.

FIRST BLOOD DRAWN AT STARRCADE

THE GREAT MUTA TAKES ON MARTY JANNETTY

After being sprayed with a rarely seen spray of red mist by The Great Muta, “The Rocker” seems to be a changed man– his ever-present smile has been taken from him, and his bubbly personality seems muted. He told Muta the mist made him think he was bleeding, and it made his poor mother at home think he was bleeding… which means Jannetty is out for blood! This proved to be a mistake, however, as Muta emerged victorious over Jannetty after busting him open with a brutal kick to the head. When he came around after the match, Jannetty said it was time for things to change… maybe “The Rocker” is done rocking.

FOR THE HONOR OF AMERICA IN A FLAG MATCH

THE HORSEMEN TAKE ON THE BLUE BLOODS

Ric Flair and Arn Anderson of The Four Horsemen became de facto defenders of America during their war with The Blue Bloods (Lord Steven Regal, Squire David Taylor, and Earl Robert Eaton)... a snobby English duo and the delusional Robert “Bobby” Eaton. The feud began in the fall during Regal’s Television title reign, when he claimed English superiority over any American wrestler in the National Wrestling Alliance. That didn’t sit well with many people, “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair and “Enforcer” Arn Anderson chief among them. After Flair beat Regal in November, the trio assaulted Flair & Anderson until the rest of the Horsemen could make the save, leading into this Flag Match at Starrcade where American triumphed over England once again.

NATION PROVES DOMINANT

After taking exception to the Nation’s claims of being the most dominant force in the NWA, Big & Bad of Brian Clark and Brian Lee stepped up to the plate and issued a challenge. Heavy favorites going into the match, the numbers game proved too much for Big & Bad to overcome even with their size advantage. Elijah Hassan held Brian Clark’s foot down, unseen by the referee, and prevented him from kicking out for the pin.

THE GENESIS OF A NEW DIVISION

After Dusty Rhodes announced a new division on behalf of the NWA Board of Directors, two exciting young athletes now known as Cruiserweights went at it in fast-paced action! Chris Jericho and Brian Christopher put on something of a showcase for the new division, with Rhodes claiming that the first-ever NWA Cruiserweight Champion would be crowned in the new year. Jericho proved victorious in the end, celebrating his victory with the crowd and signaling that he wants to be the first Cruiserweight Champion.

TAG TEAM ACTION

Two of the most experienced teams in the NWA went head-to-head in a barnburner of an opening match, The Death Dealers of Stan Hansen and Steve Williams practically decimating The Bushwhackers en route to a decisive victory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, falling_star said:

The year is 1996, and professional wrestling looks very different from the reality that you know. Vince McMahon is in prison, and he’s not getting out for another four years; everything went south in the steroid trial, leaving Vince and the entire World Wrestling Federation disgraced.

But, that’s not the only thing that’s different… sure, Hulkamania happened, and it was huge business for World Star Wrestling. You know what was even bigger for the World Wrestling Federation? Macho Madness, and Randy Savage. You know what was huge for the National Wrestling Alliance? When Randy Savage jumped ship. Lots of things are different; we’re going to jump right in, but you can find out more HERE.

With Vince in prison starting in 1993, for now, wrestling is at war!

Now that's what should have happened to Vince McMahon IRL following the steroid trial - and better still, the WWF should've gone under as a consequence of that, but unfortunately (at least until recently), he's proven to be made of teflon (in that situations that would've done in or otherwise seriously crippled other promotions barely made scratches on his WWF).

As a longtime NWA fan (and of old school wrestling in general) myself, I enjoy seeing NWA diaries like this one and how they go, so consider me subscribed.  😁

• Like 1

NWA_Primetime_5.jpg

presents

PRIMETIME on TNT

THE FOUR HORSEMEN

(RIC FLAIR & ARN ANDERSON)

-VS-

THE NATION OF DOMINATION

NWA TELEVISION TITLE MATCH

15-MINUTE TV TIME LIMIT

"BAD ASS" BILLY GUNN

-VS-

THE GREAT MUTA

w/ GARY HART

BLUE BLOODS

(EARL ROBERT EATON & SQUIRE DAVID TAYLOR)

-VS-

THE ARMSTRONG BOYS

(SCOTT & STEVE ARMSTRONG)

GENICHIRO TENRYU

-VS-

JIM POWERS

BOB BACKLUND

-VS-

BRAD ARMSTRONG

THE NEW BLACKJACKS

w/ THEIR NEW MANAGER

-VS-

THE BUSHWHACKERS

plus PRINCE MALAKI IN ACTION!

PREDICTION KEY

FLAIR & ANDERSON -VS- NATION OF DOMINATION

TV- BILLY GUNN (C) -VS- GREAT MUTA

BLUE BLOODS -VS- ARMSTRONG BOYS

TENRYU -VS- JIM POWERS

BOB BACKLUND -VS- BRAD ARMSTRONG

NEW BLACKJACKS -VS- BUSHWHACKERS

WHO IS NEW BLACKJACKS' NEW MANAGER?

PRINCE MALAKI -VS- LOCAL TALENT

FLAIR & ANDERSON -VS- NATION OF DOMINATION

TV- BILLY GUNN (C) -VS- GREAT MUTA

BLUE BLOODS -VS- ARMSTRONG BOYS

TENRYU -VS- JIM POWERS

NEW BLACKJACKS -VS- BUSHWHACKERS

WHO IS NEW BLACKJACKS' NEW MANAGER? Bobby Heenan (who managed the originals in Indianapolis with the WWA)

image.jpeg

NWA presents PRIMETIME on TNT

MONDAY, JANUARY WK 1, 1996

image.jpeg  image.jpeg

ANNOUNCE TEAM: JIM ROSS AND BOBBY "THE BRAIN" HEENAN

“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to NWA Primetime! I am The Voice of Wrestling, Jim Ross, here alongside the one and only Bobby ‘The Brain’ Heenan, and we are coming off a historic evening just one night removed from Starrcade ‘95!” Ross calls.

“Historic, but for all the wrong reasons, JR,” Heenan chirps. “What’s gonna happen to the National Wrestling Alliance while the NWA’s World title is in the hands of The Phenom?”

image.jpeg

The opening strains of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" sound out in the arena, signaling the arrival of the “Nature Boy” Ric Flair, who struts onto the stage along with J.J. Dillion and the rest of The Four Horsemen: Arn Anderson, Dean Malenko, and Dan Severn.

“Well, Brain, I think this man might just have something to say about that!” asserts JR; the commentary team recounts some of the events of Starrcade ‘95 while the Horsemen make their way to the ring. The nefarious means The Undertaker used to claim the NWA World Heavyweight and bury Sting alive are detailed along with still pictures from the pay-per-view main event.

“WOO!” Flair begins, and the crowd calls back in response. “I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again… when you’re a Horseman, it means you’re the best! We proved that, again, last night… the Blue Bloods found out that you don’t mess with the red, white, and blue… and you don’t mess with The Horsemen! New Blackjacks? They found out the same; that the Horsemen are the elite of professional wrestling!

“But, you know, there’s something else I always say, and it’s weighing heavy on my heart this evening… You see, it’s like I always say, you’re either World Champion, or you’re not… and right now, The Nature Boy ain’t the one. Right now, there’s a so-called deadman who just put The Stinger in the ground to claim that big, beautiful gold belt… well, if I may borrow just one more old phrase: to be the man, you gotta beat the man, and deadman? You haven’t beat The Nature Boy, WOO!”

Flair goes on for a moment or two more, Jim Ross and Bobby Heenan eating up every word of his promo as it leads to him calling out The Undertaker directly. There’s a beat in the arena as The Horsemen wait in the ring until…

image.jpeg

WE ARE THE NATION OF DOMINATION!

Led by Faarooq, the quartet of wrestlers known as The Nation of Domination enter the arena to the sounds of their militant entrance march, heading directly for the ring.

“Did I hear you correctly?” Faarooq asks incredulously. “Did you say you were… The Man? Because I’m looking around this ring, and I see people wearing gold, but you aren’t one of them, Ric.” Flair offers up the Rolex on his wrist as proof otherwise, but Faarooq says gold trinkets don’t impress him. “Your watch doesn’t impress me, and I don’t answer to The Man,” Faarooq declares.

The pair do some further verbal sparring until Flair visibly gets under the skin of the NWA Heritage Champion. Faarooq gets in Flair’s face for a moment before backing off and forcing a smile. “Oh, I see how it is… I see how it is, The Nature Boy is turning into a bitter, old man… bitter he doesn’t have gold of his own.” Faarooq takes a step back and taps the gold belt around his waist. “You want this? This belt they call the Heritage Championship, yet I’m the first black man to hold it! This ain’t my heritage, this is–”

Arn Anderson steps up to the microphone to interrupt.

“Excuse me just a minute, Mr. Faarooq,” the Enforcer says. “But, did I just hear you correctly? Did you say that belt doesn’t represent your Heritage? Excuse me if I’m wrong, but… aren’t you Ron Simmons?” Faarooq shakes his head and looks irritated at the accusation, but the crowd cheers because they’re in on the secret.. “Aren’t you a former All-American? Haven’t you broken all sorts of barriers in this business? A Georgia legend? Don’t talk to me about heritage when you spit all over yours, and say it ain’t it!”

The crowd, and the commentary team, roar their approval for Double A’s words but Faarooq and his Nation cohorts are less than pleased. The two quartets begin to square up in the ring, and it looks as if the confrontation will turn physical any moment. But, before the first blow is thrown, J.J. Dillion grabs the microphone to offer a solution.

“Gentlemen, gentlemen, if I may?” Dillion interjects.”It seems we may be at a bit of an impasse, and things might be about to turn physical, so, let’s do this the right way… meet us in the main event?” The crowd definitely approves of this idea, and Faarooq nods as well.

“Better than getting dragged down into the muck with the likes of you,” Faarooq asserts. “Shaka! Muhammed! You’re up tonight,” he orders, the two Nation members looking confident and nodding their heads.

“There you have it!” JR says on commentary. “Flair and Anderson versus Shaka and Muhammed!”

“What a main event!” the Brain adds before JR sends the show to its first commercial break.

A brief moment backstage when the show returns shows us the arrival of Prince Malaki to the building, entering through a private entrance and heading towards a private dressing room with his nose upturned.

The New Blackjacks are in the interview area with Lee Marshall and a familiar looking man with a long beard. Marshall welcomes us back to the show, and says that The New Blackjacks have asked for this time to introduce someone.

“Ladies and gentlemen, there comes a time when a man has to admit he’s been licked,” Blackjack Mulligan Jr. begins. “He’s run the race and come in last, and there ain’t nowhere left to go but home. But this ain’t that time… we are not those men… the Horsemen will not beat the Blackjacks again!”

“Those titles are as good as ours, and now that we have this man, Dirty Dutch Mantel, by our side to counteract the weasely little J.J. Dillion… well, sky’s the limit,” Blackjack Windham states. “NWA Tag Team title gold is just the first stop.”

“You see, J.J. Dillion,” Mantel says, “next time you wanna stick your nose where it doesn’t belong, I’m gonna whomp you on the snout like a curious dog and send you outside. These men are championship born and bred; their daddy was a tag team champion, and the legacy of the Blackjacks continues with his boys. We’ve done it with no disqualifications, and that wasn’t good enough… at Battlebowl, how about we do it one more time, but, this time? Double bullrope match!”

“Oh my!” Lee Marshall exclaims, shaking his head and sending us back to the commentary table where Jim Ross asserts that The New Blackjacks have no room to ask for a rematch after the way they lost at Starrcade; Heenan says that if the Horsemen wanted to introduce the bullrope into things, they picked the wrong team.

“I managed the original Blackjacks, and putting a Blackjack at the end of a bullrope is bad news for everyone!” The Brain comments.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg  Bushwacker Luke.jpg Bushwacker Butch.jpg

THE NEW BLACKJACKS w/ DUTCH MANTELL

-VS-

THE BUSHWHACKERS

The Bushwhackers continue to have a rough go of things in the NWA, this time losing to The New Blackjacks in quick and convincing fashion. The winners jawjack at the cameras once the match is over, holding up their bullropes and telling The Horsemen to “come get some.”

WINNERS: THE NEW BLACKJACKS

When NWA Primetime returns, JR welcomes us back with Scotty Studd already in the ring waiting for his opponent. The sound of Polynesian drums signals the arrival of Prince Malaki, Jim Ross reminding us of the Prince’s disdain for American culture and the American way of life.

Prince Malaki enters the arena in traditional, tribal garb and makes his way to the ring with his head held high, looking down on the American crowd. JR cries foul on Malaki’s attitude, but Heenan points out the Prince’s current winning streak and claims that “no one can shut him up.”

image.jpeg  image.jpeg

PRINCE MALAKI -VS- SCOTTY STUDD

Prince Malaki makes short work of yet another opponent, this time the good-looking fan favorite Scotty Studd. Studd barely manages more than a hope spot of offense before the Prince puts him away with a huge sitdown splash off the ropes.
WINNER: PRINCE MALAKI

image.jpeg

Back from commercial, and Gary Hart is at the interview podium with Lee Marshall. Hart says that The Great Muta is in isolation, preparing for his NWA Television title match later in the show, but that he felt the need to come out here and clear up a misconception about The Great Muta.

“Last week, there was… let’s call it an unfortunate accident,” Hart begins. “The Great Muta took aim at an enemy and the dainty Miss Elizabeth was caught in the crossfire. Now, I could tell you that a woman has no business at ringside, but it is the 1990’s and, well, that would be wrong of me. I could say that Muta isn’t to blame, and, well… I wouldn’t be wrong. But, still, I feel the need to say this to ‘Macho Man’ Randy Savage… Muta extends his sincerest apology for this unfortunate accident but we also say this to you: keep your woman out of our way or next time? It WILL be meant for her!.”

“Wow!” Marshall exclaims at the audacity of Gary Hart, sending things back to the commentary team.

Jim Ross shows his disgust for Hart’s words for just a moment before he and Heenan begin talking about our next match: the intense Bob Backlund taking on Brad Armstrong. JR calls Armstrong “one of the NWA’s best kept secrets,” but Heenan counters that you don’t often brag about losers, and Armstrong’s win-loss record is atrocious.

image.jpeg  image.jpeg

In the first competitive match of the night, Backlund and Armstrong show off a little of the technical prowess a lot of NWA wrestlers are known for while JR and Heenan agree that “you’ll never see something like this in Hollywood or Stamford,” taking little potshots at HCW and WWF. The end comes when Backlund traps Brad Armstrong in the Crossface Chickenwing, a move JR puts over as devastatingly painful, drawing the submission victory. Backlund keeps the hold locked in for a few seconds after the bell has rung before letting go.
WINNER: BOB BACKLUND

After another block of commercials, including an advertisement for NWA Battlebowl at the end of the month, we return to the interview area with Lee Marshall who introduces The Blue Bloods. Extravagant but dignified classical music plays, welcoming the snobbish trio to the stage. The leader, Lord Steven Regal, demands respect from the audience, but they just boo him even more heavily; when he is finally able to speak above them, Regal calls the events of Starrcade 1995 a “travesty and a sham.” He says that being put into a triple threat match by Dusty Rhodes was unfair to him, and claims that Ric Flair & Arn Anderson’s victory over Earl Robert Eaton and Squire David Taylor should be stricken for the record (though he doesn’t give a reason why that should happen).

image.jpeg

Marshall interjects that he doesn’t see either of those things happening, and Regal replies “how aggressively American of you.” Regal says that 1996 will be the year of “British Reign” in the National Wrestling Alliance, and says that it all starts here where The Blue Bloods refocus on winning the NWA Tag Team titles– and also points out another “aggressively American” rule that the British trio will be using to their advantage: the so-called Freebird rule, where any two members of a three-man team are allowed to compete as the tag team.

“You’ll never know what hit you, sunshine,” Regal claims before they head to the ring.

Bobby Eaton BB.jpg image.jpeg  image.jpeg image.jpeg

THE BLUE BLOODS -VS- SCOTT & STEVE ARMSTRONG

Scott and Steve don’t fare quite as well as their brother Brad, in that this match was another glorified showcase for The Blue Bloods with the finish never really in doubt. The Armstrongs do get in some offense, but most of that is only for the live crowd as the match is bisected by commercials for viewers at home. Earl Robert Eaton pins Scott with a Tower of London, formerly known as the Alabama Jam.
WINNERS: THE BLUE BLOODS

Lee Marshall is at the interview podium once again as we return, and he invites the crowd to welcome the “Macho Man” Randy Savage! The crowd goes wild for his entrance, “Pomp and Circumstance” ringing out through the arena but the Madness is serious as he makes his way to the podium.

image.jpeg

“The Macho Man is just a little mad, little irritated, at what he just heard,” Savage seethes. “Did the Macho Man hear you right, Gary Hart? Did you make a threat concerning the lovely Miss Elizabeth? I think you, I think you did! You see Gary Hart, Great Muta… when you mess with Miss Elizabeth, you mess with the Madness, and I don’t think you’re ready for the Madness unleashed, unh-uh!! Elizabeth ain’t here tonight, and she ain’t gonna be here for a while because of you, Muta– that don’t sit right with the fans, and it don’t sit right with the Macho Man!”

Savage goes on a tirade, eventually grabbing the microphone from Lee Marshall and taking off his mirrored goggles to look directly into the camera; he speaks slowly with a controlled chaos to his calm voice. “Muta… you’re gonna pay for what you did, oh yeah, even if I have to tear apart the entire NWA! Vengeance will be mine, mark my words, because the Macho Man is vengeance through-and-through!”

After the intense Macho Man promo, the show goes to commercial again and when we return, we’re treated to the entrance of Japanese strongman Genichiro Tenryu. Jim Ross says that Tenryu is a decorated champion in America and Japan, but has had trouble finding his footing in the States as of late.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

GENICHIRO TENRYU -VS- JIM POWERS

There is a lot of muscle on display in this match, and not a whole lot of selling to be found; Tenryu and Powers work a stiff brawl that sees the Japanese strongman pick up a victory over the American.
WINNER: GENICHIRO TENRYU

After the match, we settle on the commentary desk at ringside where Jim Ross says that The Brain has a scoop for us this week!

“That’s right, JR, straight from the desk of Dusty Rhodes, the Head Representative of the NWA Board of Directors, this month at Battlebowl we will see the return of the Lethal Lottery! Some might have guessed it by the event being named Battlebowl, but qualifying matches will once again take place through the Lethal Lottery where every competitor in the National Wrestling Alliance will be entered into a random drawing to pick tag team partners. Winning teams will advance to Battlebowl, and the winner of Battlebowl will receive not only a winner’s diamond ring, but a shot at the NWA World Heavyweight title at Superbrawl 6 in February!”

JR and Heenan joke about whether getting a shot at The Undertaker is really a prize for a moment before the show heads to commercial. When we return, it’s time for the NWA Television title match! JR reminds us that, as always, this match has a 15-minute television time limit. If the challenger takes the champion to a time limit draw, he is guaranteed another shot in the future.

image.jpeg  image.jpeg

"BAD ASS" BILLY GUNN (C)

-VS-

THE GREAT MUTA

w/ GARY HART

This match is a barnburner to be sure, Gunn and Muta working overtime for the crowd in what many will consider the match of the night. There is no satisfaction to be had in the finish, however, as Randy Savage charges the ring with a steel chair to attack The Great Muta, drawing a disqualification from senior official Tommy Young.
WINNER, BY DISQUALIFICATION: THE GREAT MUTA

Savage isn’t done at just one chairshot, however, as he puts Muta on his knees and draws the DQ with the first, then wallops Muta across the back of the skull with a second!

“Did you hear that, JR?” Brain cringes at the sound of the chairshot.

Savage throws the chair down, then signals that he wants to go to the top rope for the elbow! The fans cheer and JR even excuses himself for being unprofessional before saying, “Muta’s gonna get what he deserves, damnit!”

Savage reaches down to turn Muta over… and gets a face full of green mist! The Macho Man screams and tumbles backwards, slipping through the ropes and going to the outside while he writhes in pain. Gary Hart hurries into the ring and gets The Great Muta out of there.

“Those two are getting the Hell outta dodge,” JR screams.

“Wouldn’t you?!” Brain retorts before sending the show to commercial.

image.jpeg

When we return, order has been restored and Lee Marshall is once again at the interview podium, welcoming “Bright” Buddy Landel to the stand. Landel talks about how he had to petition the NWA Board of Directors for his fair shot at the NWA Television title, saying, “who ever heard of a triple threat match?”

Landel reveals that before Battlebowl, both he and Lord Steven Regal will receive “proper” shots at the Television title, before swearing that Regal will be meeting Landel himself in the ring, because, “Bright Buddy Landel is too much for Billy Gunn to handle.”

Marshall says that we’ll see this weekend on NWA Saturday Night, before sending things back to commercial after the short segment. When we return, it’s time for the main event!

image.jpeg image.jpeg  image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

THE FOUR HORSEMEN

(RIC FLAIR & ARN ANDERSON)

-VS-

THE NATION OF DOMINATION

(SHAKA BROWN & MUHAMMED X)

w/ ELIJAH HASSAN

The main event isn’t quite as action-packed as the pre-interference sprint that was Gunn versus Muta, but there was plenty to like about it as Flair & Anderson had their working boots on to help put over the Nation members as serious threats, partially shedding the image they had as Faarooq’s comedic underlings. In the end, however, that image is not entirely erased as Elijah Hassan mistimes his interference and nails Muhammed X with a foreign object! Muhammed stumbles back into Arn Anderson, who plants his spine on the pine with a vicious Spinebuster and picks up the win to send the crowd home happy.
WINNERS: THE FOUR HORSEMEN

Edited by falling_star
  • Like 4

NWA_Saturday_Nights_5.jpg

NWA presents SATURDAY NIGHTS

6:05 on TBS

SATURDAY, JANUARY WK 1, 1996

1. A music video opened the show, recapping the short feud between "Macho Man" Randy Savage and The Great Muta, centering around Miss Elizabeth getting sprayed in the face Muta's green mist just before Starrcade before showing the events from this Monday's NWA presents Primetime on TNT show where Savage cut a promo and attacked Muta during the latter's NWA Television title match.
  2. Prince Malaki defeated "Hard Work" Bobby Walker in a squash match
  3. The Blue Bloods (Earl Robert Eaton & Squire David Taylor) beat The Bushwhackers in a mediocre television match
  4. "Bad Ass" Billy Gunn came out to the interview podium with Lee Marshall and cut a promo on his opponent in tonight's main event, "Bright" Buddy Landel. Gunn ponders why, if Landel is so "Bright," has he only held NWA championship gold one time?
  5. Dean Malenko defeated Fit Finlay in a match that was far better than the time & spot on the card it was alloted
  6. Jim Ross & Bobby "The Brain" Heenan led a recap of the events from NWA presents Primetime on TNT, focusing on The Four Horsemen and their Monday night tiff with The Nation of Domination
  7. In an NWA Television title match, TV Champion "Bad Ass" Billy Gunn retained his title by beating "Bright" Buddy Landel in just under the fifteen minute time limit
Edited by falling_star
  • Like 1

NWA_Primetime_5.jpg

presents

PRIMETIME on TNT

MONDAY, JANUARY WEEK TWO

THE FOUR HORSEMEN

(RIC FLAIR, ARN ANDERSON, DEAN MALENKO, AND DAN SEVERN)

w/ J.J. DILLION

-VS-

THE NATION OF DOMINATION

(FAAROOQ, SHAKA BROWN, MUHAMMED X, AND ELIJAH HASSAN)

15-MINUTE TV TIME LIMIT

"BAD ASS" BILLY GUNN

-VS-

LORD STEVEN REGAL

STARRCADE SINGLES REMATCH

"MACHO MAN" RANDY SAVAGE

-VS-

"TOP DOLLAR" TED DIBIASE

THE DEATH DEALERS

(STAN HANSEN & STEVE WILLIAMS)

-VS-

BIG & BAD
(BRIAN ADAMS & BRIAN LEE)

BOB BACKLUND

-VS-

BRIAN ARMSTRONG

THE WILD SAMOANS

(SAMU & UMAGA)

-VS-

THE BUSHWHACKERS

(LUKE & BUTCH)

plus PRINCE MALAKI IN ACTION!

PREDICTION KEY

FOUR HORSEMEN -VS- NATION OF DOMINATION

TV- BILLY GUNN (C) -VS- LORD STEVEN REGAL

RANDY SAVAGE -VS- TED DIBIASE

DEATH DEALERS -VS- BIG & BAD

BOB BACKLUND -VS- BRIAN ARMSTRONG

WILD SAMOANS -VS- THE BUSHWHACKERS

Edited by falling_star

FOUR HORSEMEN -VS- NATION OF DOMINATION

TV- BILLY GUNN (C) -VS- LORD STEVEN REGAL

RANDY SAVAGE -VS- TED DIBIASE

DEATH DEALERS -VS- BIG & BAD

WILD SAMOANS -VS- THE BUSHWHACKERS

PRINCE MALAKI -VS- LOCAL TALENT (Malaki - AKA Rikishi - does another squash)

Edited by Old School Fan
  • Like 1

image.jpeg

NWA presents PRIMETIME on TNT

MONDAY, JANUARY WK 2, 1996

image.jpeg  image.jpeg

ANNOUNCE TEAM: JIM ROSS AND BOBBY "THE BRAIN" HEENAN

"The Voice of Wrestling here folks, JR, Jim Ross, along with Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan, and what a show we have for you this week!"

"That's right, JR, last week wasn't enough, we've got both factions in the main event: The Four Horsemen take on the Nation of Domination!"

JR and Heenan take a few moments to run down the rest of the action booked for tonight's card before the lights in the arena go out, and a loud GONG sounds, signaling the arrival of The Undertaker!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

The Phenom is led to the arena by Paul Bearer, who is holding up the large urn, and they are accompanied by a third, unknown man who seems to be almost crawling along behind them. JR and Heenan speculate who it could be, Heenan speculating that the man might be "Renfield to The Phenom's Dracula." The trio make their way into the ring, Bearer greeting the crowd with an eerie, "Oh, yes!"

The Undertaker takes a moment to talk about how Starrcade was a prophecy fulfilled, and informs the crowd that Sting is "no more." He introduces the third man to the crowd as Vampiro, and refers to the trio in the ring several times as The Cadre. He says that his reign of terror has only just begun before turning his attention to last week's challenge by "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair. He cuts an ominous promo about how pride goeth before the fall before telling Flair that he will have his answer by the end of the night. After this, the show goes to its first commerical break.

image.jpeg  image.jpeg

Bob Backlund makes relatively short work of another Armstrong brother this week, submitting youngest brother Brian with a Crossface Chickenwing and keeping the submissing locked in well after the bell has rang.

WINNER: BOB BACKLUND

Backlund is screaming like a madman, Brian wailing in pain as he writhes in the hold; after a beat of chaos in the ring with the bell ringing over and over, Brad Armstrong comes rushing out from the back to save his little brother and send Backlund out of the ring. Backlund takes a moment to recover on the outside before laughing maniacally, a smile on his face as he points to the Armstrong brothers in the ring before exiting the ringside area.

"That man's lost it, JR!" Heenan accuses before the show goes to commercial.

image.jpeg image.jpeg  Bushwacker Luke.jpg Bushwacker Butch.jpg

THE WILD SAMOANS

(SAMU & UMAGA)

-VS-

THE BUSHWHACKERS

(LUKE & BUTCH)

The Bushwhackers continue to have a rough go of things lately in the NWA, falling in decisive fashion to the upcoming Wild Samoans duo of Samu & Umaga.

WINNERS: THE WILD SAMOANS

When the show returns from another commercial break, Prince Malaki is in the ring cutting a promo looking down on the American crowd. He says they are lucky to be graced with his presence, and, soon, they will be graced by the presence of the "returning king." JR wonders who he could be talking about, Heenan answering that it, "ain't Jesus he's talking about," prompting JR to ask The Brain, "oh, will you stop?!" in classic fashion.

Prince Malaki says that there isn't a wrestling in the United States who can beat him in the center of the ring-- which prompts some vaguely patriotic music to start playing in the arena. The crowd cheers the NWA arrival of The Patriot, a recognisable American face who has come out to stand up to Prince Malaki.

image.jpeg  image.jpeg

PRINCE MALAKI -VS- THE PATRIOT

The Patriot has the crowd behind him from the start, and it looks as if Prince Malaki may finally get his comeuppance at the hands of the American wrestler. However, another large Samoan appears at ringside, and uses a referee distraction by Prince Malaki as an opportunity to throw salt in The Patriot's eyes! It's elementary from there, Prince Malaki picking up the tainted victory.

WINNER: PRINCE MALAKI

image.jpeg

Prince Malaki again puts down the American crowd, this time for their ignorance in thinking a "masked freak" could topple the mighty Prince. "Gaze upon greatness, you American dogs!" Malaki barks. "Gaze upon Prince Malaki, and KING Yokozuna!"

"King Yokozuna?" JR ponders as the show goes to commercial once again. When we return, "The Rocker" Marty Jannetty is making his entrance to the arena, and heading over to the interview podium where Lee Marshall is waiting.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

"Welcome Marty Jannetty, but, Marty, I can't help but notice you don't seem your normal, upbeat self this evening," Marshall says. Jannetty takes a moment before he speaks, but he talks for a minute about how wrestling has always been fun until the last few months. He says losing isn't fun, and bleeding isnt' fun. The Great Muta took more than just a victory from him at Starrcade, he took a little bit of his life force, and Jannetty isn't sure how much more he has to give. Marshall asks what that means, but before Jannetty can answer, some new entrance music begins to play, an outlaw country tune of some sort.

image.jpeg

Lee Marshall wants to know who this new man is, but the newcomer waves Marshall aside and steps up to the interview podium, staring down Marty Jannetty all the while. He says that Jannetty doesn't need to question things any further, because he's here to tell him that The Rocker doesn't cut the mustard anymore. Muta and Gary Hart did Jannetty a favor in making him realize it's time to leave his boots in the ring. Jannetty starts to get a litle fired up, asks the newcomer just who the hell he thinks he is... and the blonde newcomer attacks, beating down Jannetty before delivering a devestating front face sweep into the interview podium!

"As Marty Jannetty just found out, and as the whole NWA is about to find out... it's time to ride! Saddle up, because The Last Outlaw has arrived. My name is Jeff Jarrett, and you all will know my name!"

Heenan calls Jarrett an opportunist, but JR says he might have a few other choice words to call The Last Outlaw, calling his attack on Jannetty despicable and uncalled for, but The Brain reminds him that all is fair in war and pro wrestling.

image.jpeg image.jpeg  Brian Adams 4.jpg Brian Lee 4.jpg

THE DEATH DEALERS

(STAN HANSEN & STEVE WILLIAMS)

-VS-

BIG & BAD

(BRIAN ADAMS & BRIAN LEE)

Four big men with momentum on their sides meet in the ring, JR calling the match a "hoss battle" more than once over the course of the stiff competition. Big & Bad looks like they might have the better of the veterans a time or two throughout the match, but, in the end, Adams is pinned by Williams and the men all shake hands after the match.

WINNERS: THE DEATH DEALERS

After another round of commercials, we come back to the entrance of "Top Dollar" Ted DiBiase who says that after failing to best Randy Savage in a steel cage at Starrcade, he took a week off to think about things and contemplate the future. He says that, for the first time, he thought that, maybe, money isn't everything... but, then, he thought... to Hell with that, money can buy his way to revenge! So, after a generous donation to the NWA Board of Directors, even under great protest from Head Representative Dusty Rhodes, DiBiase has purchased himself a rematch with the "Macho Man." Tonight isn't about Miss Elizabeth or the release of any incriminating pictures; tonight is about revenge, pure and simple.

image.jpeg  image.jpeg

"TOP DOLLAR" TED DIBIASE -VS- "MACHO MAN" RANDY SAVAGE

Commentary focuses on the recent war between Savage and The Great Muta, Heenan even suggesting that Muta could play a role in the outcome of this match. DiBiase and Savage put on another good match that is limited only by the time it is alloted on the show. While the cage was effective in keeping others out, this time around there is no cage and Savage is at war with The Great Muta, who makes an appearance in the match but doesn't manage to play a role in the outcome. Diving Elbow Drop for Savage picks up the win.

WINNER: "MACHO MAN" RANDY SAVAGE

image.jpeg

Following the bout, Muta makes his way into the ring and launches an assault on the Macho Man, laying into him with several brutal looking karate kicks and chops, finishing off the assault with a moonsault through a table! JR and Heenan talk about the destruction, and wonder if this rivalry will tear the NWA apart in the process of unfolding.

Back from commercial, and Lord Steven Regal is out at the interview podium with Lee Marshall to cut a promo for his NWA Television title match with "Bad Ass" Billy Gunn. Regal says the triple threat match was a sham, a ruse by the NWA to keep the Television title out of his hands. But, tonight, it's one-on-one, and no one in the NWA can stand toe-to-toe with Lord Steven Regal.

image.jpeg  image.jpeg

"BAD ASS" BILLY GUNN (C) -VS- LORD STEVEN REGAL

These two nearly go the time limit once again in an open, thrilling match that sees Billy Gunn retain.

WINNER, AND STILL NWA TELEVISION CHAMPION: BILLY GUNN

image.jpeg

Dusty Rhodes is out when we come back from commercial to officially announce the NWA Cruiserweight division, and an eight man tournament to crown the first-ever NWA Cruiserweight Champion! The NWA Board of Directors have searched the world over for the best cruiserweights they could find, and it all kicks off next week! Next week will see Chris Jericho take on Mexican superstar El Texano in the first round, with other first round matches including Brian Christopher versus Tigre Canadiense, "Sugar" Shane Helms versus Super Crazy, and Latin Lover versus TAKA Michinoku.

image.jpeg  image.jpeg

THE FOUR HORSEMEN

(RIC FLAIR, ARN ANDERSON, DEAN MALENKO, AND DAN SEVERN)

w/ JJ DILLON

-VS-

THE NATION OF DOMINATION

(FAAROOQ, SHAKA BROWN, MUHAMMED X, AND ELIJAH HASSAN)

An eight-man tag match in our main event tonight after these two factions squared off both on the mic and in tag team action last week. Faarooq and Arn Anderson, in particular, seem to have issues with one another and it shows in this encounter. The finish sees The Undertaker's new minion, Vampiro, interfere against Ric Flair, allowing Faarooq to hit The Nature Boy with a Dominator and pick up the win for his stable.

WINNERS: THE NATION OF DOMINATION

This week's NWA Primetime on TNT ends with The Undertaker and Vampiro decimating The Four Horsemen, 2-on-4, and standing tall while JR and Bobby Heenan ponder what this unholy tandem means for the National Wrestling Alliance. The Undertaker takes a microphone and delivers the final lines of the show, "... Nature Boy, I accept."

• Like 1

NWA_Saturday_Nights_5.jpg

NWA presents SATURDAY NIGHTS

6:05 on TBS

SATURDAY, JANUARY WK 2, 1996

1. "The Last Outlaw" Jeff Jarrett opens the show, calling Marty Jannetty a has-been and The Patriot a never-was; he says the NWA is in the midst of a hold-up by The Last Outlaw
  2. Jeff Jarrett defeated The Patriot in a hot opening match
  3. In a stiff affair, The Death Dealers beat The Wild Samoans
  4. "Bad Ass" Billy Gunn came out to the interview podium with Lee Marshall and cut a promo on his NWA Television title reign, saying Fit Finlay might be tough but he's no match for the Bad Ass
  5. "Bad Ass" Billy Gunn defended his NWA Television Championship against Fit Finlay; Finlay had a strong showing on Saturday Night for the second week in a row
  6. Jim Ross & Bobby "The Brain" Heenan led a recap of the events from NWA presents Primetime on TNT, focusing on The Undertaker's debuting Cadre and his upcoming showdown with "Nature Boy" Ric Flair
  7. In the main event, King Yokozuna defeated Marty Jannetty with help from an interfering Prince Malaki

NWA_Primetime_5.jpg

presents

PRIMETIME on TNT

MONDAY, JANUARY WEEK THREE

THE FOUR HORSEMEN

(RIC FLAIR AND ARN ANDERSON)

w/ J.J. DILLION

-VS-

THE CADRE

(THE UNDERTAKER & VAMPIRO)

w/ PAUL BEARER