PGHW - The Other Beginning

A PASSION OF PRIDE, GLORY, HONOUR AND WRESTLING

The weavings of time and space are a mystery to me. I don’t believe anyone has come to understand how the miniscule moments we experience each day split and fuse and wiggle this way and that, leaving behind them the events we come to know as memories.

However, in 1997, a bifurcation occurred in my life. A divide between dream and reality which I still question. One strand led to great success, a wrestling company built with my vision and representing my values, a promotion that stood for over two decades.

The other strand barrelled away, taking a nebulous path through trials and troubles, with highs and lows alike. The further along this second strand we look the more the characters depart from that first route, and the events branching further and further from… from what? Reality? What is truly real in this world? Sometimes I imagine I’m simply a fictional character in a make-believe computer game and my simulated life will repeat over and over in thousands of different forms.

Who knows.

All I know for sure is that I am Sadaharu Jimbo, founder of PGHW and the following sequence of events is the story (or at least one of them) of that company beginning in 1997.

What is PGHW?

I’m sad to admit that Japanese wrestling, including my own home for many years, GCG, changed throughout the 80’s and 90’s. And in my opinion, for the worse.

There’s too much nonsense. Too much glitz and glamour that takes away from what really underpins our great sport. Stories told in the ring.

This new venture of mine reset the template. Call me old-fashioned, stuck in the past, nostalgic, whatever. It doesn’t matter. PGHW was created with the purpose of restoring integrity.

That meant no gimmick matches, no screwy finished to matches, no cheesy promos, no hokey ring names or absurd ring attire. And absolutely NO comedy.

Instead, wrestlers would compete in straight singles or tag matches where grappling and striking were the name of the game. Forget your superjunior acrobatics and bloody brawls. Disqualifications would be rare, not because the rules were loosely applied, but because they were brutally enforced.

“Do the right thing” was my motto. All wrestlers in the company would abide by it both in the ring and backstage. Anything else and you’d be looking for work elsewhere.

I wasn’t messing around. But despite the hardline stance, I didn’t feel it was a risk. I had brought in some of the country’s top talent and some real prospects from abroad. All of them were on board with the project. I trusted the boys, and they trusted me.

[OOC]: This is a new diary based on the formula used in my previous SAISHO story and a format I thoroughly enjoy because of the way I can present stories as a whole rather than chopped up over multiple shows.

It will follow the stories of PGHW from 1997 onwards as the batch of young stars grow and develop.

Stories will be presented individually until they all come to a head at a big show which will be open to predictions. They will be in written, narrative form with no match ratings or graphics.

For each phase (4-6 shows), there will be about 5 stories. Most will feature major stars and main event talent in rivalries, while some will showcase one particular wrestler’s journey.

While PGHW runs tour shows, they won’t feature in the diary. I don’t have the patience to book each tour event, but you can imagine the tours are going on in the background. Also, the first year’s Elite Series and Elite Tag Series won’t have the blocks played out in detail, but in following years they will be.

There may also be some Jimbo thoughts as a way of showing how things are going behind the scenes. I currently have two years (40-50 posts) already written, right up to the end of 1998, so you can rest assured this diary is going the distance!

I hope you enjoy!

CREDIT to Derek B and all others involved in the creation of The CV97 mod. I love a historical CVerse mod and this is one of the best: https://forum.greydogsoftware.com/topic/52467-release-cv97-cornellverse-1997-updated-20th-aug-2021/#comment-52467

Edited by Willsky
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, monrapi3 said:

Awesome start. Looking forward to how will you build the future 'golden generation' of PGHW (Mito Miwa, Nobuatsu Tatsuko, Shuji Inukai, Yoshimi Mushashibo) and of course Eisaku Hoshino.

These guys are so much fun to play with. I will add in Eisaku Kunomasu to the mix as well as, although in the official timeline he goes away for a while, in this game he will (hopefully) stay with the company throughout. One of the most fun things to book is the transition from Ichihara and Kitoaji to the pillars.

10 hours ago, christmas_ape said:

Sounds fantastic. Loved the start. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

HISTORY IN THE MAKING

When Nobuatsu Tatsuko won the Historical Japan title in 1995, it propelled him into the spotlight.

The kid had been working hard on the independent circuit, showcasing his intensity, endurance and iron will, but he lacked experience. So while his title victory was certainly impressive, nobody expected him to hold onto the belt for long.

The Historical Japan title, formerly the top belt in QUEST, had become iconic. It would be defended night after night around the country, unaffiliated with any company, and champions put it on the line whenever possible.

As a result, holding on to the gold for a long time was tough. 6 months was impressive, a year almost impossible.

Yet month after month, Tatsuko defended without slipup. He never backed out of a fight, never skipped a show, nor resorted to underhanded means. He simply won, night after night.

By the time he was signed to PGHW in July 1996, bringing the title with him, he had held the belt for an astonishing fourteen months, and his reign was one of the key factors that led to the company wanting to sign him.

But things didn’t get easier in PGHW. He faced other rising stars like Yoshimi Mushasibo and Eisaku Hoshino as well as veterans like Hayate Hasegawa and Lee Wright. On tour, at major shows, he risked losing the belt.

But the Iron Man kept going. In January 1997, his reign was at 18 months – he had surpassed Kyoshiro Kanashi’s reign as second longest. He only had Onishi Takuma’s record of 22 months from 1979 to 1981 to conquer.

If he could hold on to the belt until PGHW Night of FORTITUDE in April and successfully defend it on that show, he would become the longest reigning champion in the prestigious belt’s history.

However, many obstacles stood in his path. And he would not shy away from them – everybody knew he’d want to put the title on the line at all five of the major shows before Night of FORTITUDE, and each time he risked his title reign falling short.

And there always remained the threat of the man he defeated to win the title back in 1995 wanting revenge.

Night of RESPECT, January 1997

The first show of the year opened with the Historical Japan title match. Nobuatsu Tatsuko defended against Kazuo Mitsushi. Mitsushi was well known for being hard as nails and having plenty of experience. He was part of QUEST before its closure, so had a strong association with the belt.

Unfortunately for him, at 45-years-old, he couldn’t keep up with the energy and vivacity of Tatsuko. There’s only so much experience can do for you and only so many hits you can take before your body crumbles.

Tatsuko got the victory with a Tatsuko Driller.

Night of ENERGY, January 1997

Dragon Agakawa challenged Nobuatsu Tatsuko for the Historical Japan title. Even more of a veteran than Mitsushi, Agakawa spent the vast majority of his career in BHOTWG where he enjoyed winning gold in the tag division.

But like Mitsushi before him, the 52-year-old was far from his prime and Tatsuko took advantage. Despite the clear in-ring differences, Tatsuko’s victory still came as a surprise to some, with Agakawa’s name value making him the favourite in their eyes.

Once again, the Tatsuko Driller got the job done.

Night of DESTINY, February 1997

Yodo Nakane was the latest veteran to challenge Tatsuko for the title. The former GCG wrestler could still go in the ring and proved a much tougher challenge than the previous two contenders.

In fact, Nakane had recently been in the PGHW Glory Crown title picture, facing Kitoaji for the belt last year, so some thought this match might be too much for Tatasuko.

They were wrong. Tatsuko dealt with his biggest threat so far with a show of spirit and hardiness that made many sit up and take note. After taking Nakane’s finisher, the Brainbuster Suplex, Tatsuko kicked out and hit his own, the Tatsuko Driller to get the win.

Night of BATTLE, February 1997

After defeating three veterans, it was time for Tatsuko to face a younger member of the roster – Shuji Inukai. The Untouchable Inukai was also carving his own fate in PGHW, notably as part of Team Dynasty alongside Yoshimi Mushashibo.

The fans in the Osaka Athletic Stadium enjoyed another fantastic Historical Japan title match. Inukai matched Tatsuko for aggression and intensity, but couldn’t quite keep it going for as long as the champion, who hit the Tatsuko Driller to win.

Night of PRIDE, March 1997

Tatsuko’s Elite Series tournament saw him finish third in his block, behind Koryusai Kitoaji and Danger Kumasaka. He suffered an upset loss against Go Matsunaga, which prompted him to offer Matsunaga a title shot at Night of PRIDE.

Despite getting the win over Tatsuko in the block, Matsunaga was far from the favourite. That victory had been during a gruelling tournament full of physical and psychological difficulties.

Tatsuko had taken some time to rest and he was at full energy for this title match. For his part, Matsunaga performed admirably, but he fell foul of a Tatsuko Driller.

After the match, Mito Miwa made his challenge. It was he who Tatsuko had beaten for the title in 1995, and he wanted to be the man to spoil the record-breaking party.

Miwa: I have waited long enough. Nearly two years I have let you keep that belt, but now it’s time I won it back. I congratulate your achievement – you have become the second-longest reigning champion. But I wish to be the final hurdle – the one you cannot get over.

Tatsuko: I welcome your challenge. It will be fitting to defeat you and crown my achievement with symmetry. Then I will begin anew, a continuing reign but fresh once more. At Night of FORTITUDE, I will make history.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Scottie said:

I love this! I really enjoyed your SAISHO diary - including the great format - and have a real soft spot for 1997 PGHW (it was my longest running diary until my computer crashed). I'll be keeping an eye out for this one for sure!

Glad to have you. I'm loving your PGHW diary right now - one of my favourite feds.

STRENGTH RUSH

Team STRENGTH RUSH, consisting of veteran Lee Wright and prodigy Raymond Diaz became the first PGHW Glory Tag Crown champions in July 1996. Their reign throughout the remained of that year was patchy but successful, with a few missed shows due to injury and family commitments.

Quite frankly, the Japanese crowd weren’t best pleased with the gaijin duo. However, with the new year, they had promised to uphold the standards expected of them and defend the tag titles at every major show.

And they had plenty of competition. Several teams had formed recently, including Team VIOLENCE of Java and Dino Maldini, Hasegawa & Tanuma, Boundary 97, Rebel Cell and Hoshino & Kunomasu.

While quality varied between the teams, thanks to a mixture of youngsters, veterans and perennial midcarders, Wright and Diaz had a lot on their plate. Fortunately for them, they were the kind of aggressive, sadistic battlers that would enjoy carving through the tag division.

So it would be up to one of these teams to hold their ground in the face of the STRENGTH RUSH and do what so many PGHW fans wanted, and dethrone the champions.

Respect may have been the name of the show, and it may have been present in other matches on the card, but when Team STRENGTH RUSH (Lee Wright & Raymond Diaz) defended their Glory Tag Crown against fellow gaijins in Team VIOLENCE (Java & Dino Maldini) respect was in short supply.

It was a vicious, crunching and ugly spectacle. Raymond Diaz would have been an uncontrolled barrel of furious energy on his own, but with the know-how of Lee Wright, he was a ballistic missile with sights set on their opponents.

Java and Maldini hadn’t been tagging for long and that was evident in a few communication issues. The big man Java often got so worked up in the fray, he didn’t hear Maldini. The Italian MMA expert showed some impressive skill, but ultimately couldn’t stand the onrushing juggernaut of Diaz who got the victory with the Power Rush Kill.

Elsewhere on the show, Boundary 97 (Go Matsunaga & Takeshi Umehara) made their debut in a six-man match alongside Shuji Inukai, losing to Dread with Hoshino & Kunomasu. Despite their loss, Boundary 97 performed admirably and were granted a tag title shot at the next show.

Eisaku Kunomasu & Eisaku Hoshino picked up another victory, this time in standard tag team action, defeating Team VIOLENCE (Java & Maldini).

When it looked like Kunomasu and Hoshino were about to announce their tag title challenge, Java and Maldini attacked them in the ring. The crowd were furious. But instead of being cowed, Hoshino and Kunomasu fought back and said they’d face Team VIOLENCE again, and make them regret the cowardly attack.

Later on, Team STRENGTH RUSH (Wright & Diaz) comfortably dispatched Boundary 97 (Matsunaga & Umehara) in the Glory Tag Crown match. It would be generous to say Boundary 97 stood a chance of winning the match, but the truth was, as soon as Diaz and Wright hit the Power Rush Kill on Umehara, it was all over.

Kunomasu & Hoshino took on Team VIOLENCE (Java & Maldini) for the second show running, with plenty of tension after the post-match attack at the previous show.

Hoshino and Kunomasu looked intent on delivering some serious punishment, and did so in an early flurry. But Maldini and Java showed signs of chemistry together, overcoming their previous communication problems and organising a brutal response.

Hoshino might have known better if his temper wasn’t so fierce, and Kunomasu had only been wrestling for a year. They both got carried away with their attack and weren’t prepared for what came back at them, and Java’s Greetings from the Island on Kunomasu won Team VIOLENCE the match.

Team STRENGTH RUSH (Wright & Diaz) held up their promise and defended the PGHW Glory Tag Crown again, this time against the experienced duo of Hayate Hasegawa and Ninsei Tanuma.

The challengers battled hard, but up against the cunning of Wright and the pure physical dominance of Diaz, they stood no chance. Power Rush Kill got it done again.

At this point, both Team VIOLENCE (Java & Maldini) and Kunomasu & Hoshino could stake a claim as contenders for the tag titles, but it seemed like both teams still wanted to beat the proverbials out of each other once again. So they did.

This time, Hoshino and Kunomasu’s ferocity and intensity proved decisive when released in slightly less erratic fashion. They tempered themselves a little at the start and remained wary of a retaliation.

When Java and Maldini fought back, they were effective, especially Java. But in the end, after an exchange of big moves from both teams, Eisaku Hoshino got the victory with a Godzilla Plunge on Maldini.

Hoshino & Kunomasu took the time after the match to make sure they wouldn’t be attacked from behind, then officially issued their tag title challenge at Night of PRIDE.

Meanwhile, with the rest of the tag roster defeated, Team STRENGTH RUSH (Wright & Diaz) defended against Rebel Cell, a team of youngsters Harumi Okazawaya and Sotatsu Sarumara. Rebel Cell clearly weren’t ready for this level of competition yet, although they showed good spirit in surviving as long as they did.

In March, while the Elite Series reached its conclusion, Eisaku Hoshino and Eisaku Kunomasu took the time to prepare for their tag title match against Team STRENGTH RUSH (Lee Wright & Raymond Diaz).

Most fans predicted Lee Wright would make the difference in the match. Diaz, Hoshino & Kunomasu were all young and energetic, aggressive and fearless. Wright was past that. He knew when to pick his moments and could help Diaz do the same. Hoshino & Kunomasu had shown they didn’t have the experience to handle every situation.

However, those fans were proven wrong. On that night in March, Kunomasu and Hoshino brought their game to the next level. Intensity, ferocity and the will to take a hit and get straight back up. Wright employed his cunning and Diaz his power, all to no avail.

Hoshino especially, made himself a hero. The fans who had wanted to see the champions dethroned for so long got fully behind the ugly scrappiness that Hoshino represented, and when he hit the Godzilla Plunge on Lee Wright to get the three count, they roared their excitement.

Hoshino & Kunomasu won the PGHW Glory Tag Crown!

Before they celebrated, though, Hoshino got on the microphone to immediately challenge Team VIOLENCE in their first defence of the belt at Night of FORTITUDE. They wanted to put that one loss behind them and confirm themselves as the top of the tag division.

Team VIOLENCE were, of course, eager to spoil the party.

Edited by Willsky
  • Like 3

PROTÉGÉ

Danger Kumasaka was one of the best known and effective submission wrestlers in Japan throughout the 80’s and 90’s. Joining the nascent PGHW made absolute sense for him, in the latter stages of his career, to lead a new company and a new set of talent into the coming millennium.

During his final few years in BHOTWG, he gained a reputation for identifying talent who would go on to succeed and nurturing them to success. Hooded Kudo frequently mentioned how Kumasaka’s influence helped propel him to the top of the industry.

Since PGHW’s inception in July 1996, Kumasaka had made it clear he was looking for a protégé – someone to take under his wing and elevate. But Kumasaka was picky. If he was going to spend his time and effort developing someone, it would have to be worth it.

In 1996, he elevated himself into the PGHW Glory Crown picture, but he stated gold wasn’t his only ambition. He wanted someone to impress him.

With a roster packed full of young, exciting talent, who would step up and face the danger? Who would impress the veteran and earn his mentorship?

The year started off with Danger Kumasaka challenging Hito Ichihara for the PGHW World title in the main event of Night of RESPECT. Kumasaka had been in great form leading up to the event, and the new champion Ichihara had offered him the opportunity to be his first challenger.

As PGHW fans in Kobe and observers around the world began to learn, the quality of PGHW’s shows would always be high. And this match exemplified that.

Kumasaka was a master on the mat, able to manipulate the limbs and joints of any foe. But Ichihara’s championship winning attribute – adaptability – held him in good stead. He managed to react to Kumasaka’s strategy on the fly and turn the match into more of an impactful slug-fest.

This let Ichihara take control and eventually get the win with a Head Drop Suplex, instead of his usual Ichihara Armbar finish.

After the match, Kumasaka was gracious in defeat and said he would turn his attention to younger talent.

Kumasaka: This is a call to anyone who wants to learn. Step up and show yourself. If you think you have what it takes to get to the top and have the humility and good sense to learn from someone who has seen it all, come face me. I’ll be waiting at the next show, Night of ENERGY.

Shuji Inukai was the first to face Danger Kumasaka. He challenged the veteran shortly after Night of RESPECT, and the match was made.

“The Untouchable” Inukai had a lot to prove in PGHW. With just four years of experience behind him, after graduating from the Hinote Dojo, he had certainly proved he had guts, but doubts remained over his temperament.

He flung himself at Kumasaka with all his force and aggression. This caught the veteran off guard at the beginning, but after a few minutes, Kumasaka slowed the pace and set traps which Inukai repeatedly fell into, becoming sucked into the dangerous vortex of submissions.

Kumasaka’s Aurora Surfboard Vice got the submission victory.

Inukai was furious after the match and stomped off, neglecting to pay his respect to Kumasaka. After the show, Kumasaka had these words for him.

Kumasaka: I am disappointed. The fire and the talent is there, but Inukai is immature. There is no shame in losing to a competitor with as many years of experience as I have, but there is shame in failing to be humble.

Mito Miwa challenged Danger Kumasaka next, with Night of DESTINY in Osaka the destination. At that time in his life, Miwa was a proud young man, with that pride perhaps rubbing some the wrong way. His approach was more focused and controlled than Inukai’s, but people shared their concerns about his excess of pride.

And, as the saying goes, pride comes before a fall. The fall happened to be Danger Kumasaka’s Aurora Surfboard Vice, although the finish to the match took a long time coming. Miwa definitely showed he was destined for the top, even in defeat.

But once again, Danger Kumasaka seemed let down in victory.

Kumasaka: Pride can be a merit or a flaw. I am certain Mito Miwa will become a giant of this business, but it will be without my help. He faced me tonight not to seek my mentorship, but to make an old man look foolish. Well, he found out the man wasn’t quite so old or senile as he expected.

Danger Kumasaka turned his attention to the Elite Series tournament in March, finishing second in his block behind Koryusai Kitoaji, and qualifying for the semi-final against Hito Ichihara.

During the block matches, he found nobody capable of meeting his high standards that fit the profile he sought. Nobuatsu Tatsuko impressed in their match, but the Historical Japan champion had his attentions elsewhere.

In the semi-final, Kumasaka defeated Hito Ichihara, the current Glory Crown holder. The result surprised many. However, Kumasaka was unable to get past Koryusai Kitoaji in the final who was victorious in the first ever PGHW Elite Series.

By now, Kumasaka’s search for a protégé seemed to be faltering. His own singles career was thriving, and nobody had yet stepped up.

But after the Elite Series, Yoshimi Mushashibo threw his name into the hat. He wished to face Kumasaka simply for the experience of being in the ring with the veteran. The match was set for Night of FORTITUDE

Mushashibo: I do not imagine I will emerge victorious against Kumasaka, but if I can learn something, it is worth it. 

• Like 4

The stories are great! Java and Maldini are an interesting challenger to Hoshino/Kunomasu. It’s sometimes too easy to just focus on Hoshino/Kunomasu and Wright/Diaz, so I like that the story has shifted. The Kumasaka storyline is also great - he’s great for elevating the next crop of stars.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scottie said:

The stories are great! Java and Maldini are an interesting challenger to Hoshino/Kunomasu. It’s sometimes too easy to just focus on Hoshino/Kunomasu and Wright/Diaz, so I like that the story has shifted. The Kumasaka storyline is also great - he’s great for elevating the next crop of stars.

Thanks! Yeah, the tag division is pretty empty at this stage, with the two big teams needing some extra competition. Kumasaka is a favourite of mine, always able to give a boost to the youngsters.

TITANS COLLIDE

Two men defined PGHW’s first 6 months of existence. Both among Japan’s finest wrestlers for the last decade and both representing the values upon which the new promotion was built.

The term “Strong Style” would always bring mention of one of its foremost innovators – Koryusai Kitoaji. He was a sure-fire Hall of Immortals inductee thanks to his impact on the industry. He was respected and admired across the world in spite of the fact he only had one major title reign to his name (BHOTWG Tag) before joining PGHW.

The fact he was never afforded opportunities at BHOTWG was a reflection of their mismanagement rather than his shortcomings. He inspired a generation of wrestlers to use physical intensity and martial arts as their main weapon.

Similarly overlooked in BHOTWG was Hito Ichihara. He was often referred to as a thinking man’s wrestler, a true pioneer of what modern puroresu became. While Kitoaji focused on one particular aspect and excelled at it, Ichihara studied and blended various styles of MMA and submission wrestling.

Interestingly, Ichihara also only had one previous major title to his name, which just so happened to be the BHOTWG Tag title, won a year after Kitoaji. And once again, despite the lack of gold, his position in the Hall of Immortals was an inevitability.

While there was some surprise about their departure from BHOTWG and signing with PGHW, few in the business were shocked by the quality of matches they put on in the latter half of 1996. Their two bouts for the PGHW Glory Crown put the new company on the map immediately, shortcutting them to global recognition.

Kitoaji earned the honour of being first ever PGHW Glory Crown champion, defeating Ichihara at Night of WARRIORS in July 96. But in December of the same year, at Night of WRESTLING, Ichihara came out victorious and began 1997 as champion.

But the rivalry would not end there. Kitoaji would be back, and Ichihara would do everything to defend his new treasure.

Hito Ichihara made his first Glory Crown defence against Danger Kumasaka. The challenger had impressed throughout 1996 and nobody doubted his credentials.

Kumasaka was a technician. His strangling, tangling submission style was legendary, and nobody in the company could best him on the mat.

But Ichihara was used to specialists. He knew he could not beat Kumasaka at his own game, so instead played a different one. He managed to manipulate the flow of the match and turn it into a striking battle, one that saw both men knocking seven hells out of each other.

Ichihara often finished his opponents off with the Ichihara Armbar, but knowing this wouldn’t work against Kumasaka’s grappling prowess, he instead hit a Head Drop Suplex which won the match.

After the match, Ichihara showed respect to his opponent, then asked who would be next to challenge him.

Both Dread and Yodo Nakane threw their names into the mix, and a number 1 contender’s match was set up for the next show, Night of ENERGY.

Yodo Nakane had fought earlier in the night alongside Mito Miwa and Koryusai Kitoaji, in a victorious trios effort. When Kitoaji stepped back and let Nakane volunteer himself for a title shot, some wondered if the former champion was afraid of losing a rematch.

Others suspected he was recovering from physical injury. The more favourable opinion was that he was simply letting others have their opportunity.

Koryusai Kitoaji fought in the ring against Hito Ichihara in an 8-man tag match. Kitoaji was on the same team as Mito Miwa again, as well as the two youngsters Hirokumi Saito and Mamoru Nagahama. Ichihara’s team boasted more experience, with veterans Hayate Hasegawa and Ninsei Tanuma as well as the young lion Harumi Okazawaya.

Youth proved decisive as Kitoaji’s team came out victorious, with Miwa pinning Okazawaya. Yet Kitoaji remained withdrawn when asked whether he would challenge Ichihara for the Glory Crown. He said it was either Nakane or Dread’s honour this time, and he would make his challenge when the time was right.

In the main event of the show, Dread defeated Yodo Nakane to become number one contender for the Glory Crown, a title match that would take place two weeks later at Night of DESTINY.

To open the show, Koryusai Kitoaji defeated Dragon Agakawa in comfortable fashion.

In the main event, Hito Ichihara put the Glory Crown on the line against Dread. Those who didn’t know much about Dread would likely have put him in the category of big, powerful monster who can’t really wrestle.

They were wrong. Dread had proven in SWF, GCG and BHOTWG that he was far more than just size (although he had plenty of that: 350lbs plus). He was arguably the highest profile signing for PGHW and many expected him to add another world championship to the ones he had won at all his previous companies.

Explaining how Ichihara beat him is less to do with moves and technique and more to do with decision-making. Even when Dread was launching him into the turnbuckles and slamming him at great velocity into the mat, Ichihara kept hold of his composure.

That’s not to say he didn’t show grit and courage – he needed plenty of that. But instead of feeling daunted and overwhelmed by the physically superior man, he kept a cool head and stuck to what he knew would work – the right strategy at the right time.

So when Dread went for the Dreadsault, Ichihara anticipated it. And instead of trying to lift Dread’s huge bulk off the ground, he waited for Dread to get to his feet, then used the big man’s own momentum to catch him in a Head Drop Suplex. Dread’s weight crashing down onto his own neck was enough to get Ichihara a hard-fought victory.

While Ichihara celebrated, most of the crowd were waiting for Kitoaji to appear and make his challenge.

But instead, Yoshimi Mushashibo came out to the ring and, having won in tag action earlier in the night and in singles competition at the previous two shows, he thought he deserved an opportunity. Ichihara asked the youngster if he was sure he was ready, then accepted the challenge for Night of BATTLE.

Nobody knew if Mushashibo had beaten Kitoaji to get his challenge in, or if Kitoaji had let him have a go, but his shadow hung over the whole affair.

In the match before the main event title match, Koryusai Kitoaji defeated Yodo Nakane. It was a strong, but predictable win for the former champion. Fans had Kitoaji fresh in their mind for Ichihara’s defence.

Yoshimi Mushashibo was a severe underdog against Hito Ichihara. However, in one respect, Mushashibo could have been considered superior – technical wrestling. The youngster had a talent for submissions.

And even though Ichihara had survived Danger Kumasaka’s legendary wrestling skill, he found himself on the back foot at times against Mushashibo. But only a fool wrote off Ichihara, and the champion once again made the match his own game, beating Mushashibo with a series of heavy elbow strikes and a Head Drop Suplex.

Once Ichihara had shown his respect to Mushashibo, he glanced to the entrance ramp. The fans followed his gaze. They all knew Kitaoji was next in line, the challenge was imminent.

But Kitoaji never appeared. Ichihara frowned, his celebrations marred by the absence of his biggest rival.

March in PGHW meant the Elite Series. The top 16 stars of the company would take part in a gruelling singles tournament consisting of two blocks to determine the first ever Elite Series winner.

Ichihara and Kitoaji were, of course, featured stars. They were drafted into different blocks, which they dominanted. Ichihara came top of his block, ahead of Dread, while Kitoaji finished in first despite tough competition from second place Danger Kumasaka.

That meant the first semi-final, opening Night of PRIDE, was Dread against Koryusai Kitoaji. As expected, the match was hard-hitting to the point that some fans were visibly shaken by some of the impacts. Kitaoji got the win with a Kitoaji Braindrop, impressively lifting up the big man to deliver the move.

Hito Ichihara took on Danger Kumasaka in a rematch of Night of RESPECT a couple of months ago. The gruelling schedule had been hard on both men, but Ichihara seemed to have suffered physically more than Kumasaka.

Kumasaka learned from his mistake in the title match in January, and kept things where he could excel, eventually transitioning form an Aurora Surfboard Vice into a Rear Naked Choke that saw Ichihara lose consciousness.

Danger Kumasaka faced Koryusai Kitoaji in the Elite Series final, with the chance to make history as the first ever winner. The match was less of a showcase of each man’s wrestling talents, and more a battle of wills.

By now, they had both taken so much punishment, that only pride, honour and the prospect of glory kept them going as they whacked and thumped and slapped and chopped and belted and cracked each other, hoping the other would give up.

Danger Kumasaka was the one to break. More accurately, his nose was broken and Kitoaji followed up with a Kitoaji Braindrop to become the first ever Elite Series winner!

This victory meant Kitoaji had an immediate shot at the Glory Crown, a match that Ichihara and Kitoaji agreed would take place at the next show, Night of FORTITUDE.

Ichihara had these words after the show.

Ichihara: I’ve waited for this for a while now. I’m surprised it didn’t happen earlier, given Kitoaji’s position in the company. At any time he could ask for a title match and he would get it. But I appreciate his patience and only wish to apologise to him for the fact that he’ll have to extend that patience as I’ll be keeping the Glory Crown at Night of FORTITUDE.

Kitoaji responded in typical bullish fashion.

Kitoaji: You have all misunderstood. I heard you, wondering when I was going to request a title shot, anticipating when I was going to ask for an opportunity at the Glory Crown. I was never going to do either of those things.

You see, I don’t make requests. I don’t ask for things. I do not get on my knees and beg for glory. I earn it and I take it. In fact, it should have been Ichihara asking me to challenge him, just as I chose him to face me in December. A champion decides.

The fact it has been this long without me challenging for the title is not a reflection on me, but on the champion. If he had wanted to fight me, he would have said so earlier. But he does not want to. So I gave him no choice by winning the Elite Series. And I will give him no choice at Night of FORTITUDE when I win the Glory Crown again.

Card for PGHW Night of FORTITUDE, April 1997

Mito Miwa vs. Nobuatsu Tatsuko © for the PGHW Historical Japan title

Kazuo Mitsushi, Hayate Hasegawa & Ninsei Tanuma vs. Mamoru Nagahama & Rebel Cell

Dread vs. Shuji Inukai

Boundary 97 (Go Matsunaga & Takeshi Umehara) vs. Team STRENGTH RUSH (Lee Wright & Raymond Diaz)

Danger Kumasaka vs. Yoshimi Mushashibo

Kunomasu & Hoshino © vs. Team VIOLENCE for the PGHW Glory Tag Crown

Hito Ichihara © vs. Koryusai Kitoaji for the PGHW Glory Crown

Get your predictions in now!

• Like 1

PGHW Night of FORTITUDE, April 1997

Mito Miwa vs. Nobuatsu Tatsuko © for the PGHW Historical Japan title

Kazuo Mitsushi, Hayate Hasegawa & Ninsei Tanuma vs. Mamoru Nagahama & Rebel Cell

Dread vs. Shuji Inukai

Boundary 97 (Go Matsunaga & Takeshi Umehara) vs. Team STRENGTH RUSH (Lee Wright & Raymond Diaz)

Danger Kumasaka vs. Yoshimi Mushashibo

Kunomasu & Hoshino © vs. Team VIOLENCE for the PGHW Glory Tag Crown

MATCH 1: Mito Miwa vs. Nobuatsu Tatsuko © for the PGHW Historical Japan title

Nobody could deny that Tatsuko’s reign with the Historical Japan title was impressive. Nearly two full years and he had defended the belt at every major show.

But Mito Miwa had his mind set on revenge as it had been Tatsuko who beat him for the title back in 1995, and it would make the Pride Warrior a three time champion. All Tatsuko had to do was win this match and he’d hold the record for longest reign, surpassing Onishi Takuma’s record from 1979 to 1981.

There was also a huge sense of anticipation bubbling amongst the fans in Kyoto. Of the company’s future stars, Miwa and Tatsuko were arguably the most developed – the two expected to break into the main event scene first. A victory here would set that trajectory even higher.

Tatsuko started the match with typical intensity. He had a gameplan that had worked for the previous twenty-two months, and he stuck with it: hit first, hit hard, and hit again.

Miwa offered a more cerebral approach. He held off at first, not committing himself. While the two had competed before, both had come along way and he clearly didn’t want to expose himself to Tatsuko’s aggression early on.

A game of cat-and-mouse began with Tatsuko trying to hit that crucial move, but Miwa having a counter for it. Miwa showed his ability to adapt on the fly by evading the Tatsuko Driller and countering it into a triangle choke, but Tatsuko forced his way out.

At times, Miwa took control, seemingly figuring out the patterns in Tatsuko’s game. The problem was, the defending champion executed his moves and hit his strikes with such force and precision, no amount of thought could stop them.

In the end it was a huge Tatsuko Driller that ended the match. Tatsuko had just clocked Miwa in the jaw and went for his finisher… Miwa slipped out of his grasp and immediately reversed into a Tatsuko Driller of his own, dumping the author of the move on the mat to get the three count!

Mito Miwa became the Historical Japan champion, ending Tatsuko’s reign at two days short of the record!

MATCH 2: Kazuo Mitsushi, Hayate Hasegawa & Ninsei Tanuma vs. Mamoru Nagahama & Rebel Cell

A team of veterans overcame a team of youngsters. Hasegawa and Tanuma got a good win to put them back in contention for the Glory Tag Titles.

MATCH 3: Dread vs. Inukai

This match was made quite late as neither man had a major match already booked. Inukai showed why he was one of the most exciting youngsters in the company, but Dread let him know he wasn’t at the top yet.

They battled hard, and although Dread got the win with the Dread Bomb, he showed a rare sign of respect for Inukai after the match.

MATCH 4: Boundary 97 (Go Matsunaga & Takeshi Umehara) vs. Team STRENGTH RUSH (Lee Wright & Raymond Diaz)

Former Glory Tag Crown holders Wright and Diaz wanted to bounce back from losing the belts with a strong win. They did so here, defeating Boundary 97 in fifteen minutes.

MATCH 5: Danger Kumasaka vs. Yoshimi Mushashibo

Danger Kumasaka’s search for someone to mentor had so far proved fruitless. He had defeated all the youngsters who had put themselves in his path, and none had shown the attitude he was searching for.

Mushashibo came into the match modestly stating he only wished to learn something by sharing the ring with Kumasaka. To his credit, Mushashibo had pushed Hito Ichihara pretty hard in his title challenge at Night of Battle, and had performed admirably in the Elite Series. A win for him over Danger Kumasaka would surely turn heads.

Everybody knew what Kumasaka could do. Once he had grounded his opponent, it was usually game over, so all his opponents tried to stay on their feet and trade blows. Mushashibo did quite the opposite. Once they had shaken hands, Mushashibo immediately dropped to the mat, beckoning Kumasaka to join him in some good old fashioned grappling.

Surprised, Kumasaka accepted. And he was even more surprised by the slickness and ingenuity Mushashibo displayed. He went hold to hold with the veteran, at times catching Kumasaka in submissions that nearly ended the match.

Kumasaka’s expressions of incredulity at what he was witnessing were only heightened by the crowd’s enthusiasm for the technical showcase they enjoyed.

In the end, Kumasaka managed to apply the Aurora Surfboard Vice, modifying it slightly to resist Mushashibo’s counter, and the younger man tapped out.

But once the bell had rang and the pair had recovered, Kumasaka made a show of his respect to Mushashibo, and they shook hands with something more than the usual display of sportsmanship.

It seemed Kumasaka had found his protégé.

MATCH 6: Kunomasu & Hoshino © vs. Team VIOLENCE for the PGHW Glory Tag Crown

The new Glory Tag Crown champions, Kunomasu & Hoshino, defended their belts for the first time – against the team which they had battled with during the start of the year.

Once again, the action was ugly. None of the four men involved were particularly refined competitors, but they could all hit hard. So they did. A lot.

Java was the standout performer for his team, using his bulk at high speed to batter the Eisakus, but it wasn’t enough to get his team the win.

Kunomasu helped get Java up for the Godzilla Plunge which Hoshino hit to get the three count and make the team’s first successful defence of the belts.

After the match, the two teams seemed to put some of their animosity behind them. At least, there weren’t any wild brawls, and no heated words were thrown either way.

MATCH 7: Hito Ichihara © vs. Koryusai Kitoaji for the PGHW Glory Crown

Big stakes, plenty of history and a rivalry based on tense respect wrapped this match in a coating of expectation.

Ichihara and Kitoaji had put PGHW on the map with their performances in the previous 9 months and they were undoubtedly the top two stars in the company, both in popularity and pay packet.

Seeing them wrestle over the Glory Crown for the third time was a spectacle in itself, not to mention the clash of egos that it entailed.

Kitoaji claimed he would never have asked for a shot at the Glory Crown, instead he waited for Ichihara to challenge him, or for a tournament like the Elite Series to guarantee him a title shot. Fans of Ichihara, on the other hand, retorted by saying Kitoaji should have swallowed his pride.

The match started in a similar way to their previous two encounters – slowly. Ichihara was known for his strategic approach, taking his time, refusing to commit himself. This drew him some criticism as some found this style didn’t match with what they viewed as PGHW.

Kitoaji was one of those critics. His reputation as a founding father of strong style meant his approach was to go hard at your opponent and not relent.

Despite the roughly fifteen-year age gap, Ichihara and Kitoaji’s match mirrored that of the opener between Mito Miwa and Nobuatsu Tatsuko. Kitoaji on the front foot, Ichihara biding his time.

Nobody expected, then, for Ichihara to suddenly erupt into a burst of offence that caught Kitoaji flat-footed and stunned the fans. While this early flurry wasn’t enough to put Kitaoji away, it ramped up the tension and for the rest of the match, Kitoaji seemed a little on edge.

But Kitoaji, being an incredible competitor, battled back, using his sheer ferocity and force of will to deliver a serious beating to the champion.

Yet all the while he had just a split-second of hesitation. And this proved costly. Kitaoji won their first match with a Roaring Elbow from the top rope. As he set up that devastating move, a momentary delay allowed Ichihara to roll out of the way and counter into a triangle choke.

Kitoaji battled free of the submission after looking like he might pass out, but Ichihara finished him off with a devastating Head Drop Suplex.

Hito Ichihara retained the PGHW Glory Crown!

Conclusion

On a night of contrasting styles and generational divides, the old guard remained firm against the wave of new talent as Dread defeated Inukai and Kumasaka defeated Mushashibo. But there were plenty of signs that the young superstars weren’t far off a breakthrough.

Mito Miwa, particularly impressed. His cerebral style matched that of the defending champion, Ichihara, and their shared approach of careful thought, adaptability and execution of a plan proved decisive.

After the show, some wrestlers expressed their thoughts.

Yoshimi Mushashibo: I’m very happy to be working with Danger Kumasaka. He’s been an inspiration since I was a teenager and I can’t think of anyone better to learn from. And one day I’ll make him proud by winning the Glory Crown.

Mito Miwa: It’s a bittersweet night for me. Sweet, obviously, because I am the new Historical Japan champion. But bitter in the sense that a historical record was denied. Tatsuko, it’s nothing personal. You just didn’t quite have what it takes to enter in the history books. Looks like I’ll have to take on that burden myself.

Hito Ichihara: I’ve always said you need to change to thrive. Kitoaji is a great competitor, one of the greatest of a generation. But he’s predictable. He hits harder than me, yes. His moves are more devastating, yes. But I see them all coming. Next time, and there will surely be a next time down the road, I hope he brings something new, because that’s two in a row. As for now, I’m looking at the roster and seeing some bright lights and talented competitors. I’m excited to see who steps up!

Koryusai Kitoaji: People want to give me sympathy. Console me for my loss. Say I got caught unawares and on another night I’d have that match won. I care nothing for your platitudes. I lost. That’s all there is to it. No excuses, no complaints. The only thing I have to think about is what I could have done better. Because I will come back. Invited or not, I don’t care. I will hold the Glory Crown again.

• Like 3

Great show! The right results across the card (though what has happened to Yodo Nakane?). I'm interested to see how the next six months develop, as obviously the first six months have seen the veterans dominate the top of the card. Maybe someone like Mushashibo can make the most of his new mentor.

• Like 1

NEXT CONTENDERS

Team STRENGTH RUSH (Lee Wright & Raymond Diaz) set the bar for Glory Tag Crown defences. After a patchy schedule in 1996, they turned around fan opinion by putting the belts on the line at every show.

They got the better of everyone on the roster until they ran into Eisaku Hoshino and Eisaku Kunomasu who defeated them at Night of PRIDE to become the second team to hold the belts.

But the pair of Eisakus wanted to exceed Wright and Diaz’s impressive reign, making more successful defences and lasting for longer.

So they set out their stall early on – all contenders were welcome at any time.

Who would step up to face them? Rivals from their past? A newer team looking to break through at the top? Or would nobody be able to defeat the new champions?

Night of POWER, April 1997

Glory Tag Crown holders Eisaku Hoshino and Eisaku Kunomasu put their titles on the line for the second time at Night of POWER, defending against the experienced duo of Hayate Hasegawa and Ninsei Tanuma.

Hasegawa was a former two-time tag champion in QUEST, while Tanuma had competed in the BHOTWG tag ranks for nearly a decade.

But Hasegawa was no longer at his best, and Tanuma, while in the prime of his career, had never achieved the heights many expected of him.

Hoshino and Kunomasu defeated them with a powerful, direct, and aggressive display, overcoming the heart of Hasegawa and the style of Tanuma.

Night of EXCELLENCE, May 1997

Boundary 97 (Go Matsunaga & Takeshi Umehara) were next to challenge Hoshino & Kunomasu. The tag team had only been around for a few months and were yet to enjoy much success, but Hoshino and Kunomasu had promised to defend against all comers.

Once again it was an assertive display from the champions, dealing with the few tricky situations their opponents put them in, but ultimately coming out on top when Hoshino hit the Godzilla Plunge.

Night of SUCCESS, May 1997

At Night of SUCCESS, Hoshino & Kunomasu teamed up with Boundary 97 (Go Matsunaga & Takeshi Umehara) to face Team STRENGTH RUSH (Lee Wright & Raymond Diaz) alongside TEAM VIOLENCE (Java & Dino Maldini).

Hoshino & Kunomasu fought a bitter rivalry with Java and Maldini earlier in the year, although it seemed they had come to a situation of mutual respect.

Team STRENGTH RUSH, on the other hand, showed no respect for the team that dethroned them at the top. Raymond Diaz was bullish and Lee Wright was abrasive, and the gaijin team got the win by targeting Takeshi Umehara. They prevented his team mates from saving him from a Ray Gun by Raymond Diaz which ended the match.

Afterwards, Team STRENGTH RUSH walked right up to Hoshino & Kunomasu and made it very clear they wanted their Glory Tag Crown belts back. Hoshino & Kunomasu showed no signs of fear and accepted the challenge – the match was made for Night of GLORY.

THE HISTORICAL CHAMPION

Mito Miwa’s victory over Nobuatsu Tatsuko to win the Historical Japan title at Night of FORTITUDE prevented the former champion from achieving the longest single reign with the belt by mere days.

While he expressed his regret at preventing the historical feat, Miwa affirmed that he would build on the title’s history in his own way.

And he had reason to say that. Now a three-time holder of the title, he had in recent years become synonymous with the belt, especially on the independent circuit before he and Tatsuko joined the nascent PGHW.

At this point in their careers both Tatsuko and Miwa still felt like independent wrestlers who happened to be appearing in a major company – their attitude and willingness to face all comers even in the smallest of venues defined them, and with Miwa holding the Historical Japan title, it almost felt like a separate world inside PGHW.

But was it a world where Miwa could make good on his word? Could he keep out those who tried to erode it, and could he resist those from the previous incarnation of the world showing up and stealing his spotlight?

Mito Miwa found himself on the losing side of the huge 8-man tag main event of Night of POWER, teaming with Glory Crown champion Hito Ichihara, Dread and Shuji Inukai. They were defeated by Koryusai Kitoaji, Nobuatsu Tatsuko, Danger Kumasaka and Yoshimi Mushashibo.

After the match, Danger Kumasaka encouraged Mushashibo to challenge Miwa for the Historical Japan title, and Miwa accepted.

In contrast to Mito Miwa, Yoshimi Mushashibo was not an “indie” guy. He trained in SAISHO and graduated just in time to join PGHW as it started. For him to win the belt would, in many people’s eyes, cut away some of what made it special.

But Miwa showed no fear, and instead said he would happily defeat Mushashibo in the first defence of his reign.

Despite their contrasting origins, when Mito Miwa and Yoshimi Mushashibo fought for the Historical Japan title, the similarities in their wrestling mindsets were clear.

Both favoured a cerebral approach. Mushashibo excelled at technical combinations and slick ground wrestling, while Miwa preferred to pick his moments for explosive impact, but neither were of a mind to charge at their opponent with aggression and savagery.

As a result, fan opinion of the match ranged from “slow and tedious” to “fascinatingly balanced” as they waged a war of wits.

And in this particular chess match, Mito Miwa came out on top, smartly avoiding the Yoshimi Lock before it could be applied and hitting a Pride Bomber to collect the win and retain his title.

Mito Miwa put the Historical Japan title on the line again, this time against Dragon Agakawa. The former BHOTWG mainstay represented the antithesis of the Historical Japan movement, having spent almost all of his career with the biggest promotion around.

Agakawa’s technical proficiency was of a similar level to Mushashibo’s, but the 52-year-old could no longer keep up with the youngsters in the company and Miwa bided his time until Agakawa ran out of steam. Then he pounced with a Pride Bomber to retain.

In the main event of the show, Kyoshiro Kanashi was part of the winning team alongside Hito Ichihara, Nobuatsu Tatsuko and Yodo Nakane as they defeated Danger Kumasaka, Yoshimi Mushashibo, Ninsei Tanuma and Hayate Hasegawa.

Those who followed QUEST through the seventies and eighties knew exactly who Kyoshiro Kanashi was, even if his name wasn’t familiar to most PGHW fans.

Kanashi was the second ever Historical Japan title holder, winning it back in 1976. He would go on to win the title a record four times before QUEST closed.

After his main event victory, he got on the microphone and challenged Mito Miwa, who joined him in the ring.

Kanashi: You say you want to make history with this belt. Well, I know a little bit about that. What you hold is a leather strap with some metal on that means more to me than anything else on this planet, except my family.

I was holding that belt aloft with joy before you even started school. My time at the top may have passed, but I’m asking for just one more chance. And in return, you get to make history with that belt by wrestling one of the men who made it what it is today.

Miwa clapped Kanashi on the shoulder, as young men tend to do to elderly men they see as frail and non-threatening, sparking a twitch of irritation.

Miwa: I appreciate your past with this title. And I accept your challenge.

The match was later confirmed for Night of GLORY.

• Like 1

THE DOMINATION OF DREAD

Dread was a force of nature. At 36-years-old, he had a decade and a half of experience as well as a body in near peak condition. With his power, talent and wisdom, it would seem impossible to defeat him.

But so far in 1997, he had lost twice in singles competition, against Hito Ichihara in a Glory Crown title shot, and against Koryusai Kitoaji in the semi-finals of the Elite Series. The smaller men had gotten the better of him.

How? Many believe it was due to their spirit. They summoned that ancient warrior attitude to overcome the odds and emerge in glory. They were smiled upon by their ancestors while Dread, a gaijin, only had his present self to back him.

Others said that Dread’s time was over. He’d dominated SWF, GCG and BHOTWG and stood at the top of professional wrestling for over a decade. But now the decline was beginning.

Yet this was just a minor blip. Dread had lost matches before and come back just as strong, if not stronger.

But were the doubters right? Was this the end of Dread as a truly dominant force, or would he overcome this setback and return to his brilliant best?

Dread took part in the star-studded 8-man tag match that main evented the show. He teamed with Shuji Inukai, Hito Ichihara and Mito Miwa in a losing effort against Koryusai Kitoaji, Nobuatsu Tatsuko, Danger Kumasaka and Yoshimi Mushashibo.

There was no reason to suggest Dread was responsible for his team’s loss. In fact, he hardly put a foot wrong. But after the match, irritation was clearly etched on his face and he seemed grumpy in the post-show press conference. He said this to the media.

Dread: I’ve heard the talk. You think I’m a spent force. You think my knees are shot and my back is one jolt away from slipping. May I remind you I’m younger than Hito Ichihara and Koryusai Kitoaji?

Just because I’m bigger than them, doesn’t mean my body will decay first. This is not a physical issue. The last few months I haven’t been totally focussed, and the reason for that is personal. I won’t reveal details, but it’s a positive thing. Just distracting.

But now that’s all in order and I thought tonight I’d swing back into domination, yet here I am on the losing side. That’s what you get for joining a tag team. I respect Shuji Inukai. Hell, he pushed me pretty hard a few weeks ago. But the kid’s got a lot to learn.

And I’m sick of dealing with people like him. Kids and egotists. I’m sick of everyone. So from now on, I’m going alone. Because one-on-one, nobody can match me. Not a single person in this company. I’ll prove it. This is what we’ll do. I’ll fight every single wrestler on this roster in singles competition, and I’ll show them all that I am Dread and I dominate.

That includes champions. It includes Kitoaji and Ichihara and anyone else who thinks they’re the biggest dog in the yard. Well, I don’t need a tape measure to prove that I’m bigger.

Dread was true to his word about fighting everyone on the roster. He looked to the lower reaches of the card for his first match, going up against Mamoru Nagahama. At 22, Nagahama had shown signs of potential superstardom, on a similar level to the likes of Miwa and Tatsuko, but was still a few years behind them in his trajectory.

His technical skills proved little issue for Dread who battered him into a bruised and bloody mess, before finishing him off with a Dreadsault.

Night of SUCCESS

Dread took on another young talent in Fukusaburu Inao. Once again it was a one-sided affair with Dread taking his time to let Inao understand the extent of his superiority. The crowd enjoyed seeing a dominant beast, but there was plenty of sympathy for the youngster who could hardly walk out of the arena on his own two feet.

After the display of brutality, Nobuatsu Tatsuko showed up. He looked upset by the excessive violence Dread had used and showed no fear in getting into the big man’s face. Tatsuko spoke into a the microphone while staring at Dread.

Tatsuko: So you think you’re better than everyone in this company. And you’re going to prove it by hurting everyone before they have the chance to develop their skills. That sounds like a declining man trying to prove he can still hack it.

But can you still keep up with someone like me? I have the endurance and intensity to defeat you. Hell, I held the Historical Japan title for nearly two years, and now I’m ready to go giant-killing.

So, yes, the doubters will be right. Your time is over. I will prove that to you at Night of GLORY in singles competition. Let’s end this before it starts.

• Like 4

DYNASTY DIVIDED

Since the inception of PGHW, Yoshimi Mushashibo and Shuji Inukai had competed as a tag team known as Team Dynasty. While they each pursued singles success, they were regarded as one of the most likely teams to get their hands on the Glory Tag Crown within a year.

And after Team STRENGTH RUSH’s dominance was ended by Eisaku Hoshino and Eisaku Kunomasu, another pair of highly-rated youngsters, some expected Mushashibo and Inukai to push forward in the tag ranks.

In the early months of 1997, the pair competed together in large tag matches, but never as a duo. Yoshimi Mushashibo earned the respect and mentorship of Danger Kumasaka, while Inukai found himself treading water. Incidentally, Inukai also wrestled Kumasaka with the intention of impressing the veteran, but Kumasaka didn’t like his attitude.

Regardless, Shuji Inukai spoke publicly, but with reservation, about how he’d like to focus more on tag wrestling, seeing much greater opportunities to win gold and get experience at a high level. He said that if Eisaku Kunomasu, a man with less than a year in the business, could hold the Glory Tag Crown, why shouldn’t he and Mushashibo?

The problem was, with Mushashibo finding success as a single competitor, would he agree to Inukai’s request, or would the pair go their separate ways?

Both Inukai and Mushashibo were involved in the 8-man main event tag match and, unusually, were on opposite teams.

Mushashibo tagged with his mentor Danger Kumasaka, Koryusai Kitoaji and Nobuatsu Tatsuko. In the other corner, Inuka joined Dread, Hito Ichihara and Mito Miwa.

Shuji Inukai impressed more than any other in the match, nearly getting a pinfall over Koryusai Kitoaji, which if he had succeeded, would have sent shockwaves through the company.

As it was, Tatsuko broke up the pin and Kumasaka took advantage of Inukai’s frustrated aggression, pinning him after a spinning sitout powerbomb.

After the match, title challenges were made. The most notable for this story was Yoshimi Mushashibo stepping up to Mito Miwa and requesting a shot at the Historical Japan belt. Miwa accepted, and the match was made for the next show.

This irritated Inukai. Not only had he narrowly missed out on a career-changing pinfall victory, his tag partner once again wanted to focus on his singles career at the expense of tag success.

Mito Miwa defended his Hisotrical Japan title successfully against Yoshimi Mushashibo. The youngsters both looked impressive in the match, but Miwa wasn’t ready to drop his freshly won belt so quickly, and hit the Pride Bomber to win.

Shuji Inukai also appeared in singles action on the show. He defeated Yodo Nakane in the semi-final of the number one contender’s mini-tournament. Nakane was the favourite to win the match, but Inukai’s aggression perhaps coupled with a fair dose of spite led him to victory.

Mushashibo congratulated his tag partner on the victory, seemingly unaware of the point Inukai was trying to make: that he could succeed in singles competition too.

The final of the number one contender’s mini-tournament saw Shuji Inukai take on Koryusai Kitoaji. Inukai was desperate to do what he narrowly failed to do at Night of POWER and pin the former Glory Crown champion in the middle of the ring.

However, in a one-on-one contest, things were much more challenging. Regardless, Inukai proved he had what it takes to compete with the best, and his refusal to lie down and be beaten earned him plenty of admiration from the crowd and Kitoaji alike.

Three times Inukai swung the Untouchable Lariat, a move that nobody had ever kicked out of, but three times Kitoaji avoided it.

In the end, a Kitoaji Braindrop got the Kitoaji the victory, and while he praised Inukai for his efforts, the younger man looked bitter.

In the main event, Mushashibo teamed with Danger Kumasaka, Hayate Hasegawa and Ninsei Tanuma in a losing effort against Hito Ichihara, Nobuatsu Tatsuko, Yodo Nakane and Kyoshiro Kanashi.

After the show, Mushashibo and Inukai shared words in the press conference.

Inukai: Yoshimi, I need commitment. We have both tried to win singles gold, but failed. If we concentrate our efforts on the tag division, the other teams don’t stand a chance.

Mushashibo: What’s the rush? I would like to develop both in singles and tag competition. My mentor, Kumasaka-sensei is teaching me many things and I believe that soon I will win many matches.

Inukai: Sure, great. You have a mentor. But what about me? What about Team Dynasty? Kumasaka is YOUR mentor, not OURS. Where does your loyalty lie?

Mushashibo: With you, of course. And also with Kumasaka-sensei. And thirdly, with myself. I cannot betray my own progress by focusing solely on the tag division, much as I know it would please you. To become the best, I must do both.

Inukai: But you can’t do both and win gold! You are not capable yet. But if we set our minds on one thing, we would surely get a title to our name.

Mushashibo: This is where we differ. I am not seeking instant prizes. My aim is to develop my craft such that I will be at the top with more longevity. Short term prizes would be a bonus, but not the main objective. Don’t you see? I don’t want to rush. I want to build. To build a Dynasty that will last a thousand years.

Inukai: We differ on many things, Yoshimi. And we will not resolve this issue with words. Here is what I propose. At Night of GLORY, we wrestle. One on one. You vs. me. If I win, you promise to focus solely on the tag division with me for the next full year, in which time we will surely win the Glory Tag Crown.

Mushashibo: And if I win?

Inukai: If you can defeat me… I will let you continue with your singles development.

Mushashibo: I hope you do not wish to abandon Team Dynasty in that case.

Inukai: I will have to think carefully about that. But it will not happen, my friend, because at Night of Glory, you’ll find out that tagging regularly with me is the best kind of development your career can have!

• Like 3

CROWN OF GLORY

Despite Hito Ichihara’s request for the developing members of the roster to step up and challenge him for the Glory Crown, everyone knew it was only a matter of time before Koryusai Kitoaji would surge into title contention again.

Yes, he had lost the last two matches against Ichihara, in December and most recently at Night of PRIDE in April. But he remained one of the few men to have ever beaten Ichihara in PGHW’s short history.

The way things went in the early part of the year, though, it was unlikely that Kitoaji would ask for a title match, considering himself above such formalities, and Ichihara wasn’t about to hand him one.

So, would Kitoaji be able to earn another chance, or would somebody else step up and take his place?

Night of POWER saw an excellent eight-man tag main event the show. It featured a mixture of top stars and the men who would surely replace them.

Danger Kumasaka teamed with his new protégé, Yoshimi Mushashibo, former Historical Japan champion, Nobuatsu Tatsuko and none other than Koryusai Kitoaji.

They faced an equally powerful team led by Hito Ichihara and featuring Dread, new Historical Japan champion, Mito Miwa and Shuji Inukai.

During the course of the match, the younger talent shone. They frequently out-performed and out-smarted their older counterparts, and Shuji Inukai came a split second away from pinning Kitoaji before Tatsuko broke up the pin.

In the end, it was Danger Kumasaka who got the job done for his team, capitalising on Inukai’s over-aggression and catching him with a spinning sitout powerbomb for the win.

After the match, Kumasaka encouraged his protégé, Yoshimi Mushashibo to step up and challenge Mito Miwa for the Historical Japan title. Mushashibo had proven over the last few months he was certainly worthy of a shot, and Mito Miwa didn’t hesitate to accept.

Then Mushashibo surprised Kumasaka, by turning the tables and getting the veteran to make a challenge for Ichihara’s Glory Crown. Kumasaka had got the win a few moments ago and held a victory over Ichihara in the Elite Series.

Kumasaka smiled at his protégé, confirming he’d made the right choice in selecting him, and challenged Ichihara.

At first, Ichihara was reluctant, as he’d beaten Kumasaka earlier in the year, but he was forced to accept that Kumasaka had earned his way back to the top of the pile.

The title match was set for the next show, Night of EXCELLENCE.

Danger Kumasaka took on the Glory Crown champion, Hito Ichihara in the main event of the show.

Their meeting at Night of RESPECT at the start of the year had gone in Ichihara’s favour, but there was plenty of reason to believe Kumasaka might get the win this time.

His victory over Ichihara in the semi-final of the Elite Series came as a result of his smothering ground game, and that is how this title match began.

For nearly fifteen minutes, Kumasaka dominated. In previous times, Ichihara had figured out a way to escape, but now the veteran technician had tweaked his approach to great success.

But Ichihara was champion because he always found a way to adapt. And once again, he used his brains and experience to keep calm under pressure and devise a new strategy on the fly. With a smart reversal of the Aurora Surfboard Vice, he twisted Kumasaka around and knocked him hard in the face with a knee strike.

This put the momentum firmly back in the champion’s favour, and despite an admirable rally from Kumasaka, the writing was on the wall. A head drop suplex got the job done for the champion.

After the match, Kumasaka made it clear this would be his last title shot for a while. He wanted to make sure the younger talent, like his protégé were allowed opportunities instead of the old guard who had seen their time.

Earlier in the show, four men contested the semi-finals of a number one contender’s tournament.

The matches were Shuji Inukai vs. Yodo Nakane and Koryusai Kitoaji vs. Nobuatsu Tatsuko.

Nakane’s experience couldn’t make up for his declining physical abilities, and Inukai battered him into defeat.

Kitoaji and Tatsuko brought such energy and intensity to their match that it seemed for a while that they’d whack each other to death before the match was won.

But in the end, Kitoaji edged it, hitting a Kitoaji Braindrop. However, he looked bruised and tired after the match and made a show of respect for Tatsuko, who many believe would one day emulate the older man’s success.

Hito Ichihara took part in another 8-man tag match, this time alongside Nobuatsu Tatsuko, Yodo Nakane and Kyoshiro Kanashi. They defeated the team of Danger Kumasaka, Yoshimi Mushashibo, Hayate Hasegawa and Ninsei Tanuma, with Tatsuko getting the pin on Tanuma.

Tatsuko looked strong in the match and, despite his narrow loss to Kitoaji at the previous show, his performances had elevated him to a position where a shot at the title wouldn’t be out of the question.

He would have to wait a little longer for an opportunity, though, as another match on the card would determine the next Glory Crown challenger.

It saw Shuji Inukai attempt to earn his first stab at the gold. Inukai’s year had been going well enough, but of the young talent destined for stardom, he was yet to shine as bright as some of the others, particularly his tag partner Yoshimi Mushashibo. He had the chance to right that.

Unfortunately, he was up against Koryusai Kitoaji who had defeated Tatsuko to get to this number one contender’s mini-tournament final. Kitoaji and Inukai had fought a couple of times before, with the former champion winning on both occasions.

This time was no different. However, Inukai reminded the world why he was considered in the same bracket as Miwa, Tatsuko and Mushashibo, with a typically violent and passionate showing.

Kitoaji narrowly dodged the Untouchable Lariat on several occasions, with the fans knowing if that move had connected, Inukai would surely get the win. But the move never connected. Instead, the Kitoaji Braindrop was the decisive move, putting an end to what was already being touted as a potential match of the year candidate.

After the show, Kitoaji made his feelings known in public.

Kitoaji: Once again, I EARN my way into title contention. I’ve heard the voices even before I won tonight, the people who say I get paid too much and take all the opportunities. With all due respect, if someone like Inukai deserves a shot at the Glory Crown, he should have defeated me. Inukai fought bravely, and one day he’ll hit that lariat and my neck will snap back and I’ll look at the lights. Then he’ll get the big bucks. And that day won’t be too far away. Until then, I’m top of the pile by merit, not by reputation.

And this time, at Night of Glory, the Glory Crown will be mine. I will walk away victorious, and that’s a guarantee. I cannot lose again. In fact… yes, if I don’t come out of that match with Ichihara as the Glory Crown champion, I will leave PGHW. That’s right. I’ll leave the company.

But that won’t happen. All those who say I don’t deserve another opportunity will get their wish because I’ll be the one giving them out. As champion once again.

• Like 2

Card for PGHW Night of GLORY, June 1997

Shuji Inukai vs. Yoshimi Mushashibo

Dragon Agakawa and Team VIOLENCE (Java & Dino Maldini) vs. Kazuo Mitsushi and Boundary 97 (Go Matsunaga & Takeshi Umehara)

Dread vs. Nobuatsu Tatsuko

Danger Kumasaka, Luis Figo Manico, Hayate Hasegawa and Ninsei Tanuma vs. Yodo Nakane, Walter Morgan and Rebel Cell (Harumi Okazawaya & Sotatsu Sarumara)

Kyoshiro Kanashi vs. Mito Miwa © for the Historical Japan title

Eisaku Hoshino and Eisaku Kunomasu © vs. Team STRENGTH RUSH (Lee Wright & Raymond Diaz) for the PGHW Glory Tag Crown

2 minutes ago, Willsky said:

Dragon Agakawa and Team VIOLENCE (Java & Dino Maldini) vs. Kazuo Mitsushi and Boundary 97 (Go Matsunaga & Takeshi Umehara)

Danger Kumasaka, Luis Figo Manico, Hayate Hasegawa and Ninsei Tanuma vs. Yodo Nakane, Walter Morgan and Rebel Cell (Harumi Okazawaya & Sotatsu Sarumara)

Eisaku Hoshino and Eisaku Kunomasu © vs. Team STRENGTH RUSH (Lee Wright & Raymond Diaz) for the PGHW Glory Tag Crown

PGHW Night of GLORY, June 1997

MATCH 1: Shuji Inukai vs. Yoshimi Mushashibo

The two members of the tag outfit Team Dynasty went head-to-head with their future direction on the line. Shuji Inukai suggested the match after finding himself frustrated at his tag partner’s lack of focus on tag competition and he claimed that together, they could win gold.

Mushashibo, on the other hand, was enjoying life as Danger Kumasaka’s protégé, and argued that they should both be able to compete in singles and tag competition at the same time.

This match was agreed with the winner getting their way. If Inukai defeated Mushashibo, the latter would commit to tag competition for a year. If Inukai failed to win, he said the future of Team Dynasty was less clear.

One reason why Team Dynasty were highly rated was the complete contrast in styles. Mushashibo was calm and thoughtful, with technical superiority giving him an advantage. Inukai was all aggression. He hit as hard as anyone on the roster and could take just as much punishment in return.

What he lacked was focus and clarity of thought in crucial moments, something that had cost him matches against the elite of PGHW. And it cost him here.

When Inukai got into his stride in this match, he looked unstoppable. He threw elbow strikes and knees at Mushashibo, landing them with impact. Then he set up the Untouchable Lariat – a move nobody had ever kicked out of.

But such was his eagerness to hit the move, he didn’t see the drop of the shoulder and the shift of balance from Mushashibo that resulted in a smart leg sweep transitioning into the Yoshimi Lock.

Inukai had seen the Yoshimi lock applied to many opponents, and few could survive it. But he had never experienced it himself. While his efforts to break free were impressive in their intensity, they were futile as he was fighting against leverage and angles he didn’t understand.

Finally, exhausted, his hand tapped against Yoshimi’s arm and the match was over.

If Inukai was angry, his fatigue hid it. Mushashibo was just as tired, and the pair of them required assistance getting out of the ring.

The fans in the New Mei Sports Stadium sounded their approval after seeing another glimpse of the future of PGHW.

MATCH 2: Dragon Agakawa and Team VIOLENCE (Java & Dino Maldini) vs. Kazuo Mitsushi and Boundary 97 (Go Matsunaga & Takeshi Umehara)

A chance for some of the midcarders and tag teams to show their stuff. Java got his team the victory, pinning Takeshi Umehara.

MATCH 3: Dread vs. Nobuatsu Tatsuko

Dread’s self-imposed crusade to defeat everyone in PGHW reached an early obstacle in Nobuatsu Tatsuko. After Dread had bullied Mamoru Nagahama and Fukusaburu Inao, Tatsuko stepped up, hoping his recent impressive form would put a quick end to Dread’s domination.

And many believed Tatsuko could do it. After holding the Historical Japan title for nearly two years, he had proven himself as a serious competitor and looked ready to step up to the main event picture. A win over a huge name like Dread would surely put him in the frame, and a shot at the Glory Crown could be waiting.

The problem was, Dread cared little for anybody’s prospects other than his own. He had set himself a mission and when someone like him set his mind to something, he could be unstoppable.

And, despite an early flurry from Tatsuko at the start of the match, Dread looked every bit the dominant force he had proved to be over the last fifteen years.

Any sign of aging or slowing down could hardly be noticed. He threw Tatsuko around like a child, only pausing to growl in his face or rile up the crowd.

As if the crowd needed riling up. They already loved Tatsuko for the sheer willpower he displayed in every match. He fought with courage, spirit and strength. Dread had underestimated him.

The battle swung in Tatsuko’s favour, with the young man ready to land his famous Tatsuko Driller, but he couldn’t quite lift the big man into position to deliver the final blow and instead, Dread slipped free, clobbered Tatsuko over the head with a massive elbow strike and finished him with a Dread Bomb.

For a brief moment after the match, Dread’s face showed respect towards Tatsuko, but quickly a scowl took over and he stormed to the back.

MATCH 4: Danger Kumasaka, Luis Figo Manico, Hayate Hasegawa and Ninsei Tanuma vs. Yodo Nakane, Walter Morgan and Rebel Cell (Harumi Okazawaya & Sotatsu Sarumara)

Another multi-man tag match highlighted new arrivals from Europe: Luis Figo Manico and Walter Morgan. Both had already competed in tour matches and at a few previous events, with Luis Figo Manico, known to the Japanese fans simply as “Figo”, going unbeaten in singles competition.

He continued this impressive run with a tag victory here, impressing his tag partner Danger Kumasaka.

MATCH 5: Kyoshiro Kanashi vs. Mito Miwa © for the Historical Japan title

Mito Miwa’s quest to uphold the history of the title he had recently won brought him face to face with the man who held the record for most reigns with it – Kyoshiro Kanashi.

Kanashi was old. Everybody could see that, and few expected him to pose a serious threat to “The Pride Warrior”.

But history and nostalgia combined to light a fire inside Kanashi, who fought with the ferocity of a man half his age. At 24, Mito Miwa was in fact a shade under half Kanashi’s age (he was 50).

Miwa was usually a crowd favourite, but in this case, it was hard for fans to get behind anyone other than the underdog veteran battling his hardest in one last shot at glory.

In the end, passion for the past was no match for youthful endurance, and Miwa showed maturity beyond his years when he put away Kanashi with the Pride Bomber.

The crowd gave Kanashi an ovation for his efforts, and the man who helped make the belt special thanked Mito Miwa for the opportunity and expressed his pleasure that his legacy would be continued with pride.

MATCH 6: Eisaku Hoshino and Eisaku Kunomasu © vs. Team STRENGTH RUSH (Lee Wright & Raymond Diaz) for the PGHW Glory Tag Crown

Having defeated the rest of the active tag teams in the company, Glory Tag Crown champions Eisaku Hoshino and Eisaku Kunomasu found themselves up against the team they won the titles from back at Night of PRIDE – Team STRENGTH RUSH.

There was no love lost between these two teams, and, realistically, they were head and shoulders above the rest of the pack, the main contenders for tag gold.

A typically violent match ensued. When the most refined competitor in the match is Eisaku Kunomasu, an ice-cold striker with a penchant for pain, you’re always in for a wild ride.

Blood was spilled, bones were bruised and chests were painted red with vicious chops. Raymond Diaz showed his continued development, incorporating a little more precision into his powerful offence.

But it wasn’t enough to dethrone the champions as they showed off a devastating new finishing move called the Eisaku Explosion – an exploder suplex from Kunomasu into the waiting knee of Hoshino, who then pinned Lee Wright for the title retention.

Team STRENGTH RUSH were angry at their loss and made it clear they were going nowhere, especially while no other tag teams had stepped up to their level.

However, with the Elite Tag Series approaching, fortunes may have been about to change.

MATCH 7: Hito Ichihara © vs. Koryusai Kitoaji for the PGHW Glory Crown

This was the fourth instalment of Ichihara vs. Kitoaji. The first had been won by Koryusai Kitoaji as he became inaugural Glory Crown champion nearly a year ago. Ichihara had won the next two, defeating Kitoaji for the belt at Night of WRESTLING at the end of 1996, and defending it at Night of FORTITUDE two months ago.

But nobody could deny, and he was always quick to point it out, that Kitoaji hadn’t earned his title shots. He had won the first ever Elite Series and then a number one contender’s tournament. He never asked. And this only served to irritate Hito Ichihara.

Was this Kitoaji playing deliberate mind games? Or was it simply a principled man trying to set an example? Nobody was sure.

In their last encounter, Hito Ichihara had surprised Kitoaji by abandoning his usual patient, methodical approach and attacking early. This switch left Kitoaji struggling, and ultimately cost him the match.

To avoid this happening again, Kitoaji took the lead. He set a rapid early tempo, battering Ichihara with deadly strikes, the kind he had built his career around.

Ichihara backpedalled. He spent the early portion of the match trying to limit the damage Kitoaji was doing to him, but soon realised he couldn’t keep going like this. He turned things around and wrestled Kitoaji to the mat. Here, Kitoaji couldn’t unleash his elbow and knee strikes.

The champion switched and swivelled, trying to make the strategy work, trying to apply a triangle choke. But Kitoaji still had plenty of energy. His defensive grappling was strong enough to untie himself and deliver more hard hits. One knee strike caught Ichihara in the temple and seemed to have knocked him out, but the champ managed to get a shoulder up at three.

Ichihara changed plan again. His quick-thinking tactical approach had brought him so much success and now, backed into a corner, literally and figuratively, he had to improvise.

He climbed the ropes. At this point in time, it was rare for anyone in PGHW to gain any height, although it had been done on occasion. That kind of thing was for the super juniors over in BHOTWG.

But Ichihara was desperate, and he needed something to divert from Kitoaji’s intensity. So he climbed until his feet wobbled on the top rope, and he flung himself down towards his competitor with both feet forward – a missile dropkick.

It missed. Spectacularly. Kitoaji didn’t so much dodge as simply sidestep as Ichihara’s weight came crashing down on the mat beside him. A moment of stunned silence hung in the arena after the massive misjudgement. And he had landed hard on his back.

Kitoaji was first to react, piling in on Ichihara and taking advantage. Killer instinct. While everybody else gawped at Ichihara’s huge mistake, Kitoaji was busy winning the match. 

He landed some devastating elbow strikes then got the job done with the Kitoaji Braindrop.

The crowd realised what had happened just in time to witness the three count and the crowning of a new champion: Koryusai Kitoaji won the Glory Crown!

Elation for the new champion, humiliation for the loser.

Conclusion

Night of GLORY 1997 would always be remember for Hito Ichihara’s spectacular miss. The fans in the arena and watching live at home would never forget that moment, and people in the future would look back with a mixture of sympathy for the poor man and cruel delight at seeing someone knocked off their throne.

But it would be remiss to ignore the rest of the event, arguably the best of the year so far with the young stars continuing to impress. One of them, Yoshimi Mushashibo, spoke in the post-show press conference.

Yoshimi Mushashibo: I know that me and Inukai have settled this now. We’re still good friends and team mates, even if we differ on some things. He will respect my victory, and in turn, I will respect his desire to compete in the tag division. Now I sincerely hope he and my mentor, Danger Kumasaka, can learn to respect each other and together we are all stronger.

Dread also had something to say.

Dread: Kids like Tatsuko have a lot of heart and not enough brain. You don’t run full pelt into a freight train. You don’t punch a mountain. You don’t beat Dread when he’s on a roll. Nobody does. The kid’s good. But not good enough. Nobody on this roster is. Still, it’s worth proving that for those who think I’m spent. So, the domination continues.

Hito Ichihara showed incredible courage in facing the press after his embarrassing loss, but he looked bereft. Most of his answers were short and non-descript, except when asked what he would do next.

Hito Ichihara: I’m not going to ask for a rematch, I think that precedent has been set. And right now, I don’t think I’d be able to. It hurts. Losing like that. You can all see that. But I’m not going to hide from this. I just need some time to think, to see what’s been going on around here, to ground myself…

On Night of GLORY, it was Kitoaji who emerged with the Glory Crown, and he was typically direct.

Koryusai Kitoaji: I hope you don’t all forget that I won that match. I can already sense you’re all going to say that Ichihara lost the match because of his mistake. But I remind you that if I hadn’t put the pressure on, he never would have tried such a stupid thing. That mistake was as a result of my actions. So, my victory is not because Ichihara messed up, it’s because I demolished him.

Now, challengers to the Glory Crown are plenty. But with no Elite Series or tournaments in the near future, I’ll take it upon myself to challenge suitable contenders to remove the need for them to beg. Yoshimi Mushashibo, you impressed me tonight. At Night of WARRIORS, a year on from when I won the Glory Crown for the first time, you will challenge me. Bring everything you have. I will be waiting.

• Like 2

RUNNING DRY

I’ve always been careful with finances. Even as a kid I’d stash away what money I was given or earned. And when I started wrestling, the paltry pay I earned didn’t go on parties and creature comforts, but instead I saved it all up for when work ran dry.

With this mentality, I made myself a rich man. You get that if you’re the top of the business, the main event star. I’m not ashamed to say I had several million dollars’ worth of savings in the bank, or invested in low-risk bonds. That’s who I am. Not a rockstar, or a playboy. Just a man who grew up in a certain way.

And I always knew PGHW would run at a loss to begin with. The scale of that loss, however, was something that took me by surprise.

I suppose I should have seen it coming with the… let’s say “generous” contracts for Ichihara and Kitoaji. At that point, money was no object – I needed the biggest stars available and was happy to pay them whatever it took. And you can’t argue that they weren’t worth it.

The thing is, with a $2 million budget (my own savings), you think the money will last. That you won’t run dry.

I did. For the first time in my life I was in the red and things weren’t turning around. The shows had seen a decent income from gates and a modest one from the network, but with Ichihara, Kitoaji, Kumasaka and Dread setting me back the better part of $400,000 a month, the company was haemorrhaging.

It couldn’t last. I had to make a decision. The options were clear. Cut my losses and come to an agreement with one of Ichihara or Kitoaji, or even both, to leave the company, or keep them on and hope things got better.

The first option was the obvious choice. My life’s success was down to being careful with finances and removing risk. Fighting the uphill battle, but the one that didn’t result in the abyss.

And moments before I picked up the phone to speak to one of the top stars (I won’t reveal which), I received a message from a major broadcasting company. They promised that if PGHW improved the music and production quality of the shows, they would give us a lucrative Pay Per View deal.

What was the catch? Oh, the quality of the wrestling on the shows had to meet extremely high standards without fail. The kind of ratings we had been getting were the lower end of what they wanted. And if we didn’t live up to those standards… well, it would be hard to recover from the reputational damage of being cut.

The future of the company could swing based on one high profile match bombing. We would have to deliver every single night without fail.

Or, I could reject the deal and take the balanced, low-risk route. The decision was mine alone and I spent several days mulling it over.

What did I decide? Well, some things are stronger than a lifetime of caution. Some feelings overwhelm rationality. Trust is one of those things. Trust in the boys.

And I trusted in them. Every single one.

• Like 2