WCW 2001: 'Bout Time I Elevated To Claim My Own Throne!

image.png.4cb0c579fbd5a4fb72e41f1937f57e19.png

Friday Night Panic! Episode 13: 

Friday 26 October 2001

Recorded show late-night on FX

This is the Fall 1 week Break so we get recorded highlights specifically focusing on the talking points from WCW Halloween Havoc.

The show advertises that next week on Panic! we will see the in-ring debut of WCW's newest tag-team featuring Chavo Guerrero Jr & Disco Inferno, plus we will see the Steve Corino Open Challenge & a House of Cards Qualifying match.

• Like 1

fab7e60d70b893ce247f0fd947c71b10.png

'The Nature Boy' Ric Flair now a Free Agent

Ric Flair, a former 10 time NWA World Heavyweight Champion, 8 time WCW World Heavyweight Champion and 2 time WWF World Heavyweight Champion, is now free to entertain offers for a return to wrestling after his Time Warner contract expired today. 

Flair, at 52, is said to still believe he can go in the ring at the top level and wants either a return to WCW or the WWF. It is thought that both WCW and WWF would be interested in bringing Flair in, so it may boil down to either who will pay him the most or who will offer him the more exciting project. 

Flair is of course loyal to WCW, who currently employ David Flair, his son, but with Eric Bischoff back in the company and WWF generally in a much better position financially and in terms of star power, Flair could still be tempted to join Vince McMahon's company rather than Shane's.

Triple H is reported to have a pitch for Flair for a potential long-term storyline and stable angle in the WWF, which could tempt Flair given Triple H's status in the company. But given Flair's rich history and association with WCW, it is thought that if Shane did match any offer WWF made that Flair will most likely head back to WCW, with "WCW Legacy" (a new PPV for January 2002 rumoured to be centred around the history of WCW and bringing back the WCW Hall of Fame) booked in for Charlotte, North Carolina, it is speculated that Ric Flair may have already had a verbal agreement with WCW to return and be one of their first "new" inductees into the WCW Hall of Fame in Flair Country. But never say never in wrestling and even if Flair did sign a verbal agreement he could well change his mind and join the WWF instead.

• Like 1

image.png.af9f033992a5565a0fef95a26f0e3b28.png

Nitro Episode 27 of the Shane McMahon Era (Episode 315 including pre-Shane)

Wednesday 31 October 2001

Live late-night on FX

8,178 crowd from Atlanta, Georgia

Announcers: Tony Schiavone, Jerry 'The King' Lawler & Arn Anderson

-----------------------------------------------

Show opens up with Linkin Park's 'Runaway' 

Runaway - Linkin Park (Hybrid Theory) (youtube.com)

Tony Schiavone on commentary says it's Wednesday night folks and you know what that means! It's WCW Nitro, LIVE from ATLANTA!

Jerry Lawler excitedly says that's right Tony, we're here in A-TOWN and the JOURNEY TO STARRCADE STARTS HERE LIVE, TONIGHT IN GEORGIA! 

Tony Schiavone says that's right folks, we'll hear tonight from the WCW World Heavyweight Champion, Scott Hall, who retained that title in controversial fashion to say the least at Halloween Havoc, we'll also get an update from WCW Hall of Famer, Dusty Rhodes, on the condition of his son 'The Natural' Dustin Rhodes who we hear is that still not medically cleared to compete after that main event 'I Quit Match' in Texas.

Arn Anderson then says plus we've got former WCW World Tag Team Champions, Sean O'Haire & Chuck Palumbo in Tag Team action, the new WCW United States Champion, Kanyon will put his title on the line and we'll hear from the WCW Cruiserweight Classic 2001 winner, Billy Kidman, but right now to start our program we have the WCW CEO and Owner, our boss, Shane McMahon!

-----

Shane McMahon Promo

For the Love of Money (youtube.com)

We see Shane McMahon come out to the top of the stage. 

Shane McMahon says he understands that there are a lot of people unhappy with how the 'I Quit Match' between Scott Hall and Dustin Rhodes finished at WCW Halloween Havoc. Shane assures fans that he will get to the bottom of that incident and ensure appropriate action is taken, but he doesn't want that to overshadow the exciting news he has for WCW fans tonight as well as the first show on The Journey to Starrcade 2001! 

Shane McMahon says the first piece of exciting news he has to share is with WCW fans in the UK, Europe, Japan and Mexico. Shane McMahon says he has struck a deal with local PPV providers in the regions and he can officially confirm that both WCW House of Cards and WCW Starrcade 2001 will be available to purchase in those regions. Shane says he is working hard behind the scenes and he is hopeful that from the new year in 2002 he will strike a deal with TV companies in those regions to finally be able to bring WCW Nitro and WCW Panic! to those regions on TV too. 

Shane then says that all roads now lead to Starrcade 2001! 

Shane says tonight will see the first in a series of qualifying matches for the first ever WCW House of Cards Match in Las Vegas, Nevada. Shane says all of the top ranked stars in WCW will get an opportunity to compete for 1 of the vacant 18 spots in the 20 man House of Cards Match, with the winner heading to the main event of WCW Starrcade 2001 to challenge whoever is the WCW World Heavyweight Champion 

Shane then adds that the champion going into Starrcade 2001 will likely be decided by whoever wins the WCW World Heavyweight Championship match at House of Cards. But who will challenge Scott Hall for that WCW World Heavyweight Championship in Las Vegas? 

Shane says tonight the 6 highest ranked stars in WCW for 2001 will get the opportunity to earn a shot against Scott Hall at House of Cards and thus book a spot at WCW Starrcade 2001 without having to battle 19 other men in the House of Cards Match. 

These 6 men are... Lance Storm... Booker T... Mike Awesome... Diamond Dallas Page... Steve Corino… and Rob...Van...Dam!

The fans pop.

Shane says to get everyone excited for Vegas we're going to see which of these 6 men has the brains, the strategy and the POKER-FACE worthy of a WCW World Heavyweight Champion! He says in his office tonight all throughout the show these 6 men will compete in a Poker Tournament! 

By the end of the show tonight, live here in Atlanta, Georgia, we will know who will challenge for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship at House of Cards!

Freestyle segment with Shane McMahon - (92 rated)

----

Match 1: 

b.w.o (Blue Meanie & Nova) (with Blueberg) vs Sean O'Haire & Chuck Palumbo 

WWE - bWo Theme (youtube.com)

Well folks, says Tony Schiavone, kicking things off tonight we've got tag-team action here on Nitro.

WWE: Chuck Palumbo & Sean O'Haire Theme "Freestyle Hombre" Download (youtube.com)

Sean O'Haire & Chuck Palumbo come out looking fired up for the match tonight. Tony mentions they were part of the losing team at WCW Halloween Havoc in the Texas Tornado match, but O'Haire & Palumbo will be looking to rebound from that loss.

The camera cuts to Stacy Keibler watching the match from a screen in the back.

Well Stacy Keibler is an interested party in this match says Tony, of course a few weeks ago her client Shawn Stasiak seemed to put her services on the line in a wager against Sean O'Haire & Chuck Palumbo, she didn't seem happy about that, whilst O'Haire & Palumbo didn't win the wage, perhaps Keibler is interested in jumping ship.

Well I don't know about that Tony, says Jerry Lawler, but if these boys know Stacy is watching I'm sure they'll be putting in 110 percent tonight! 

This is a dominant win for O'Haire & Palumbo, whilst Nova looks fairly good in the match and is selling a lot and shining in the process, they're no match for the former WCW World Tag Team Champions and they get the win when Chuck Palumbo hits a Jungle Kick to get the win.

O'Haire & Palumbo win via pinfall - (5.20) - (52 rated) 

----

April Hunter with Terry Funk 

April Hunter congratulates Terry Funk on his big win against his former protégé 'The Fallen Angel' Christopher Daniels at Halloween Havoc in his home-state of Texas this past week. April says what's next for Terry Funk?

Funk says he's been wresting in this business for 35 years, that's older than a lot of the guys on the roster have even been alive! I've won titles, I've lost titles, I've put people down and I've had people put me down... April, I don't know how long I got left in my in-ring career, but what I do know is this...

I've had enough wins in WCW in 2001 that I got the chance to qualify for the first ever WCW House of Cards match in Las Vegas, Nevada... a lot of people will be looking at me thinking that old Funker ain't got a shot... but tonight I'm gonna book my place in that House of Cards match... then I'm gonna go to Vegas, put it all on black, win that match and then at WCW Starrcade 2001... I go to the MAIN EVENT and take home the WCW World Heavyweight Championship for the first time in my career! 

I know there'll be boys in the back, fans at home who say look at this old-man with his delusions of grandeur, well let me tell you something April, if you ain't in this business to dream of your big moment in the sun... then you will drown in it! The sun might be setting on my career in this business... and there's gonna be a lot of sharks trying to kill me off... but THE FUNKER WILL NEVER SAY DIE!!!

Freestyle segment with April Hunter and Terry Funk - (51 rated)

----

Poker Tournament

We see Shane's office which has a big Poker Table. We see Lance Storm and Mike Awesome sitting on one side, Booker T and DDP on another and Steve Corino and Rob Van Dam to the other side. 

Shane McMahon is telling them the rules of the Poker Game tonight whilst an attractive woman is dealing their cards, when Dusty Rhodes bursts in. 

Eric Bischoff and Ricky Steamboat are also in the office and immediately jump up and tell Dusty to leave.

Dusty Rhodes says "Now you listen to me Shane, baby... my boy, Dustin, got cheated at Halloween Havoc! I know it! You know it! Those fans, baby, they know it too! I've come here for JUSTICE! JUSTICE FOR THE RHODES FAMILY, BABY! JUSTICE FOR TEXAS! JUSTICE FOR ALL THE BOYS IN THE BACK WHO DARED TO DREAM OF BEING CHAMPION! 

We hear Steve Corino mutter "I dare to dream of being the champion and I sure as hell don't care that Dustin lost!" 

Shane McMahon says "Dusty, I don't like what happened anymore than you did... but I'm working on an investigation to find out how and why The Sandman got to do what he did... as for the match as Halloween Havoc, look, Dustin lost, you quit on his behalf, we can't change that, we're on the Journey to Starrcade now, the challenger for Scott Hall will be decided in this poker match tonight, then the winner of the House of Cards Match will challenge whoever has the title at Starrcade... even if Dustin is cleared to compete before House of Cards, with all the qualifying matches we just don't have time for a main event type rematch for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship... it could have only happened tonight... I can't help that Dustin isn't cleared!" 

Dusty Rhodes looks very disheartened. 

Dusty says "but Dustin... my boy can still qualify for this House of Cards Match, right, Shane baby?" 

Shane says Dustin has a match booked in for next week on Nitro if he can be medically cleared by then.

Dusty says "he'll be medically cleared by then Shane, I'll make sure of it! My boy's dream is that World Title and if he gotta win it the hard way and finish his story at Starrcade... then that's just what he will do!" 

Eric Bischoff then buts in and says "right, great, so you've got your justice then Dusty. Now get out of here so we can get on with this Poker Tournament!" 

Dusty says "Now just you wait a minute, Bischoff... Dustin has a chance at redemption... but that ain't no justice where I'm from, baby... so Shane, I got one more favour I'd like to ask you of you tonight...

Shane asks what it is...

"You said if Dustin had been here tonight he could have had that title rematch against Scott Hall... now I'm not about to ask for a title opportunity myself, my time as a world champion has long past me by, baby, but what I want tonight is justice! I might not be able to beat Scott Hall but I can damn sure beat some sense into him!" 

Shane is thinking and says "you can't mean?" 

"I mean it, Shane, baby," says Dustin. "TONIGHT... LIVE IN ATLANTA, GEORGIA... NITRO MAIN EVENT... THE BAD GUY SCOTT HALL... 1-ON-1 WITH THE AMERICAN DREAM, DUSTY RHODES!!!"

"Tell me he didn't just say THAT" says Booker T. 

Eric Bischoff sounds like he's going to dismiss him, when Shane says you've got a deal, Dusty!" 

Freestyle segment with Shane McMahon, Eric Bischoff and Dusty Rhodes - (77 rated) 

---

WWE: Road To Texas (Terry Funk) By Jim Johnston + Custom Cover And D/Link (youtube.com)

We see Terry Funk come out to a decent pop as the announcers speculate as to who Funk's opponent might be. 

Funk has his fists up in the ring looking out to the entrance way in anticipation

Balls Mahoney theme (youtube.com)

Well this should be a man that Terry Funk is very familiar with from his days in ECW! says Tony Schiavone as we see a wry smile from Funk.

----

Match 2: 

House of Cards Qualifying Match 1 of 18: Balls Mahoney vs Terry Funk

Despite this being a standard match rather than a hardcore match both Balls Mahoney and Terry Funk treat it as a wild-brawl.

Funk gets busted open a bit quite early on and it looks like Balls Mahoney will have the advantage, but Funk just won't say die! Funk hangs on in there and the end of the match comes when Funk tries to give Balls a DDT, Balls counters out of it to try and hit a Suplex on Funk, but manages to avoid it, he pushes Balls Mahoney into the nearest turnbuckle face first, then grabs on Mahoney's pants to roll him up for a school-boy... 1...2...3..!! Funk steals it! 

Terry Funk wins via pinfall - (4.53) - (43 rated) 

A bloodied Funk celebrates on his knees after the win, with Balls Mahoney looking really angry with himself at the loss.

Funk offers a hand-shake to Balls, which Balls refuses, it then looks like Balls might try and attack Funk, but Balls thinks better of it and just walks out instead.

----

eea94c666d3d1f3f59613cd3430942ab.png

House of Cards Match Qualifiers: 

1. Wildcard Joker
2. Wildcard Joker
3. Terry Funk

------

JJ Dillon in the back with Scott Hall 

We see JJ Dillon knocking on Scott Hall's locker-room door. Hall opens the door.

Oh hey yo, JJ, says Scott. 

JJ Dillon says Scott Hall, you retained the WCW World Heavyweight Championship under extremely controversial circumstances at Halloween Havoc last week in Texas, what the fans and I suppose everyone else is wondering is... how'd you do it? How much did you pay off The Sandman?! 

Scott Hall laughs and then says, Look JJ... the last time I saw or spoke with Jimmy was before Dustin Rhodes took me out at the contract signing. I saw Jimmy destroying my Bentley in the Parking Lot, just the same as everybody else, I know he was there at Halloween Havoc to collect his last pay-check, but I didn't wrote those checks and I didn't see him.

JJ Dillon scoffs and says, now look Scott, you can't honestly expect fans and everyone else here in WCW to believe that can you? We all saw The Sandman come out and then start battering Dustin Rhodes, the only person who benefited from that was you, Scott. Before he came out it looked like Dustin just about had the match won... you would have lost your title if The Sandman hadn't saved you when he did! 

Scott Hall says look JJ I'm just as surprised and out the loop as the rest of you guys and the fans. When I saw Jimmy coming out, I thought he was coming out to put an end to me... to put an end to my title reign... I gained some respect for Dustin after our match at Texas, that crazy bastard truly does never know when to quit, but he didn't have it in him... that monster inside him... to get the job done... but jeez when I saw Jimmy come out with his Kendo Stick... he's got that look in his eyes like he's gonna kill you and not care one bit. When Jimmy got in that ring and was looking down at me...I thought, damn straight, I was gonna be saying I Quit and handing that title to Dustin Rhodes... but then he nailed Dustin instead. But JJ, if you're asking me WHY he did that... I don't know what to tell you, man, it had nothing to do with me. 

JJ Dillon seems unsure, but decides to change his line of questioning. Do you have any thoughts on your match in the main-event tonight against WCW Hall of Famer, Dusty Rhodes? Dusty seems adamant he will seek Justice for Dustin against you tonight. 

Scott Hall says Dusty Rhodes has his opinions on what happened, I accept that. But that old man needs to hang up his boots. He's finished in this game. And Justice for Dustin? Really? I had the chance to end Dustin's life, not just his career, with those steel steps. But I showed him mercy, JJ. I'm The Bad Guy, but I'm not out here trying to cop a manslaughter charge, not in Texas of all places anyway. So Dusty, don't talk to me about Justice. I'll see you in the ring in the main-event, baby, and maybe just maybe after I beat you then you will do us all a favour and never wrestle again...

Freestyle segment with JJ Dillon and Scott Hall - (68 rated) 

---

Kidman Promo

We come back from break to see Billy Kidman standing in the ring with Torrie Wilson and the WCW Cruiserweight Classic Trophy

The fans cheer as Torrie encourages Kidman to lift the trophy a few times

"When I heard Eric Bischoff was creating this Tournament, with the vision of creating a true legacy and tournament that people would still be competing for in 5, 10, 15 years time, all with the idea to showcase Cruiserweight wrestling in WCW... I knew that I HAD to win it... I had to take home the trophy so that in 10, 15 years time, when young kids and fans getting into this business look at the past winner's list... they see the first name on that list is Billy Kidman!" 

Kidman gets another pop from the fans

"I've won the WCW World Cruiserweight Championship 3 times and now I'm the first ever WCW Cruiserweight Classis tournament winner... so my name will forever be associated with the Cruiserweight Division here in WCW. And I'm sure a lot of fans and even Juvi himself are expecting me to come out here and stake my claim for a shot at the WCW World Cruiserweight Championship at House of Cards, or Starrcade, perhaps even right here tonight in Atlanta, Georgia! 

The fans cheer at the chance of that

"But I'm not out here to do that." 

Fans seems a bit bummed

"When I first came to WCW over 5 years ago now I was a skinny 21 year old kid from Pennsylvania I weighed 180 pounds soaking wet. And I'm sure many of you will remember when I was in the Flock not that long after getting here I had a certain addiction... a certain addiction that aside from scratching yourself a lot, it sure as hell makes it easy not to eat much... fast forward to now, I'm 27 years old, my metabolism isn't the same as it used to be... I weigh 215 pounds... and do you know, that's the limit for WCW Cruiserweight Division... which I think is fair, but equally, in the last 12 months people don't know this but I've had to basically starve myself to stay in the that weight limit to compete in this division... I go to the gym, I'm trying to put muscle on, trying to eat well, but then I'm trying to make weight every week at TV... and after discussing this with my beautiful fiancée Tory, I've made my decision... I RETIRE from the WCW Cruiserweight Division effective immediately... and I go out ON TOP!" 

Kidman lifts the trophy once again. The fans are a bit unsure how to take this.

Is Kidman retiring full-stop? asks Jerry Lawler.

"But that's not all!" says Kidman. "When I won this tournament the first thing Shane McMahon asked me was when I wanted a shot at the WCW World Cruiserweight Championship... but I told him my decision and I said to him... I'm not asking for a title shot at any of the other singles titles in WCW, I know I gotta earn that... but what I do want is to take this positive tournament momentum and get right to the main event of WCW! So I asked Shane to put me in the WCW House of Cards Qualifiers... and my Qualifying match... is RIGHT NOW!

Kidman drops the mic to a surprised crowd who cheer.

Wow! says Tony Schiavone. Billy Kidman has retired from the Cruiserweight Division, but he's staking a claim to get in that House of Cards match and get a shot at the WCW World Heavyweight Championship at Starrcade! 

And best of luck to him, says Arn Anderson. The kid's got balls, no doubt about that! 

But who will his opponent be?!

WCW La Parka 1st Theme Song - "Parental Advisory: Explicit Acts" (With Tron) (youtube.com)

We see La Parka come out dancing to the ring with his trademark guitar as Kidman looks focused for his big shot.

----

House of Cards Qualifying Match 2 of 18: Billy Kidman (with Torrie Wilson) vs La Parka

This is a high-paced, high-energy match with Kidman going all out to prove himself and book his spot in the House of Cards match. La Parka is far from an ideal opponent though as he gives him a hell of a match and won't go down easy or without a fight.

The end of the match comes when La Parka and Kidman are trading blows by a turnbuckle. La Parka is punching Kidman and trying to hoist him up onto the turnbuckle to try for a SuperPlex, but Kidman eventually manages to fight out of it and La Parka crashes to the mat and burns. 

With La Parka prone on the apron Kidman has his chance. He hits the Shooting Star Press to pick up the win. 

Billy Kidman wins via pinfall - (4.40) - (52 rated) 

After the match Kidman celebrates with Torrie Wilson, as Tony Schiavone on commentary says Kidman has done it! Kidman is going to Las Vegas for House of Cards! 

----

1. Wildcard Joker
2. Wildcard Joker
3. Terry Funk
4. Billy Kidman

-----

Poker Tournament in Shane's Office

We cut to Shane's office and we see Steve Corino absolutely furious. He throws his chair against the wall in anger as we see Lance Storm and Mike Awesome stand up to restrain him, whilst Van Dam, Booker T and DDP laugh at him.

Shane McMahon tells Corino to cut it out immediately or he'll be banned from the Qualifiers for the House of Cards Match. 

Corino storms out with his WCW FXtreme Television Championship, as Rob Van Dam says he always was a bad loser! 

And then there were 5! says DDP, as he eyes up the rest of the competition. 

Booker T, DDP, Lance Storm, Mike Awesome and Rob Van Dam remain in the Poker Tournament to determine the #1 contender for Scott Hall at House of Cards. 

/

JJ Dillon catches Steve Corino just as he's stormed out of Shane's office. 

"Steve Corino! What's your reaction to missing out on a shot at-

Steve Corino grabs the microphone and seemingly threatens to punch JJ Dillon.

"WHY DON'T YOU GET THIS CAMERA AND MICROPHONE OUT OF MY FACE! HOW DO YOU THINK I FEEL? ARE YOU STU-

Steve! Steve! Calm down. 

We see Mikey Whipwreck come into shot. 

Corino looks at Whipwreck very angrily. "This ain't the time for games, Whipwreck!" he says, looking like he's ready to fight Mikey Whipwreck too. 

"I'm not here for games, Steve," says Mikey. "Which is good news for you, as it sounds like you just played the worst game of Poker that Atlanta, Georgia has ever seen!" 

Corino gets mad again, his face goes red from rage and he looks like he's about to clobber Whipwreck, when Whipwreck tells him to chill. 

Mikey says "Save it for Friday, Steve. I'm just here to put you on notice. This Steve Corino Open Challenge thing... well I'm a former ECW World Television Champion... Heavyweight Champion too I'll have you know, but the whole surprise thing... not my style... so on Panic! this Friday, you can cut all that dramatic crap... you just have to turn up and put your title on the line against Mikey Whipwreck!" 

Corino turns from raging into a smile. "You've bitten off more than you can chew this time, Mikey. I got a lot of frustration to take out... and I can't believe you're stupid enough to sign up to be the guy I take it out on!" 

Whipwreck just smiles and says "we'll see" and walks off.

Freestyle segment with Shane McMahon, Steve Corino, Mikey Whipwreck and JJ Dillon - (58 rated) 

----

Sable Promo

We see the WCW Women's General Manager standing by at the back.

Sable says The Journey to Starrcade has begun. Many fans will be wondering what will happen with the WCW World Women's Championship... well the first step on that Journey to Miami, Florida, will begin right now... 

This week on Nitro and Panic! there will be 8 women competing in 2 separate Fatal 4-Way Matches to determine who will face Akira Hokuto at WCW House of Cards and got the honour... the privilege... of being the first woman to walk into Starrcade as WCW World Women's Champion in the first WCW World Women's Championship match at Starrcade for 5 years! 

The two women who win their respective matches will compete next week on Panic! to earn a match against Akira Hokuto in Las Vegas, Nevada

On Friday Night Panic! we will see Stacy Keibler vs Torrie Wilson vs The Gale vs WCW's newest destructive force, Chyna! (fans pop)

But tonight, in a match that will begin right now, it will be: Meiko Satomura vs La Diabolica vs Sweet Saraya vs Malia Hosaka! 

Freestyle segment with Sable - (52 rated)

----

Match 4: 

Fatal 4-Women Match to determine who will advance to the Final of the #1 Contender Tournament: Meiko Satomura vs La Diabolica vs Malia Hosaka (with Terry Taylor) vs 'Sweet' Saraya

Meiko Satomura - "My Own Destiny" (NXT UK THEME) (youtube.com)

La Bamba (youtube.com)

Malia Hosaka 4th - Mega Panic (WCW Official Theme) (youtube.com)

Sweet Saraya BCW Theme Song “Faint” (Arena Effect) (youtube.com)

This match goes just under 5 minutes. It's a hectic match with all 4 women getting in some offence and an opportunity to showcase their talent.

The finish of the match comes when Meiko Satomura is thrown from the ring in acrobatic hurricanrana style by La Diabolica, who then gets a vicious punch from 'Sweet' Saraya who seems to have the win, before Malia Hosaka from out of nowhere rolls up Saraya to secure a the win! 

Malia Hosaka wins via pinfall - (4.35) - (35 rated) 

----

Poker Tournament

We cut back to the Poker Tourmament and we see Mike Awesome throw his cards down in anger. 

Shane McMahon can be heard saying "Mike Awesome is ELIMINATED!!!"

Awesome is not happy, but Lance Storm can be seen telling him to calm down.

Lance Storm, Booker T, Rob Van Dam and DDP remain! 

/

The camera cuts to the side of the room where 'Sinister' James Mitchell and Akira Hokuto have entered and are talking in hushed voices to Eric Bischoff

Bischoff says they should go somewhere else to talk about this in private as Bischoff demands that Ricky Steamboat wheel him in his chair out of the office.

Freestyle segment with Team Canada, Shane McMahon, Eric Bischoff, 'Sinister' James Mitchell and Akira Hokuto - (54 rated) 

---

The Nu Road Warriors interview with April Hunter

April Hunter is standing by with Road Warrior Animal and Road Warrior Dog

Hunter says after they failed to regain the WCW World Tag Team Championship at Halloween Havoc, where is the road leading next for the Road Warriors? 

Road Warrior Animal says in life there are many set-backs, but you get judged on how you get up from them! Animal says both he and Road Warrior Dog will be in the qualifying matches for WCW House of Cards, Animal has his qualifier later tonight, he says they both aim to qualify and work together in the House of Cards Match, maybe if they're lucky one of them can even headline Starrcade for the WCW World Heavyweight title

Road Warrior Dog agrees and says look even if we don't win we put our faces in the spotlight once more, get a few eliminations in that match and we're sure to be in the contention for a shot at the WCW World Tag Team Championship on the biggest stage of them all... STARRCADE 2001! 

Sean O'Haire and Chuck Palumbo walk in

O'Haire says The Nu Road Warriors stole their WCW World Tag Team Championship from him and Palumbo... they haven't forgotten that, but they showed to the world at Halloween Havoc that they don't deserve them. 

Palumbo says The Nu Road Warriors are at the back of the line!

O'Haire says he doubts The Nu Road Warriors will qualify for the House of Cards Match, but if they do, him and Palumbo will be sure to dump them out! They're the future of this business, this company, this Tag Team Division and The Nu Road Warriors best get out of their way! 

Freestyle segment with The Nu Road Warriors and Sean O'Haire & Chuck Palumbo -  (52 rated) 

---

Match 5: 

Kanyon (c) vs Carl Ouellet for the WCW United States Championship

PCO Pierre Carl Ouellet - Quebecers' Theme - The Best Team in WWE History (youtube.com)

Carl Ouellet comes out with a Canadian flag representing Team Canada for this match, Lance Storm is still competing in the Poker Tournament and it seems Mike Awesome is still stropping backstage so Carl Ouellet comes out alone for this one.

WCW Chris Kanyon 2nd Theme (youtube.com)

Tony Schiavone mentions how Chris Kanyon was very emotional at Halloween Havoc having finally won Championship gold in WCW. I don't think he'll give up this belt without a fight! 

This is a hard-hitting match to kick Kanyon's reign as WCW United States Champion off in good fashion.

Ouellet gets a decent amount of offence in especially early on in the match, but the champion Kanyon grows into the match and it's not too long before he hits the Flatliner to retain the belt. 

Kanyon wins via pinfall - (5.19) - (61 rated) 

----

Kanyon Promo

After the match Kanyon holds up his belt once again and grabs a microphone.

Kanyon says it took him 6 years to win a WCW Championship belt... but damn it, I made it! (fans pop)

Kanyon says this is a belt that has been held by so many legends of this business. Harley Race, Blackjack Mulligan, Ricky Steamboat, Ric Flair (lots of fans WOOOO), Wahoo McDaniel, Roddy Piper, Dusty Rhodes, Sting, my good friend Diamond Dallas Page, Bret Hart, Terry Funk, Curt Hennig, Booker T, Rob Van Dam... and now to continue that legacy... WHO BETTER THAN KANYON?!?! 

Kanyon goes onto say that Shane McMahon offered him a spot in the Qualifiers for the WCW House of Cards Match in Vegas. Kanyon says of course one day I want to become the WCW World Heavyweight Champion... and Shane even said if I did qualify I didn't need to defend the WCW United States Championship at the PPV... but I worked too long and too hard to become WCW United States Champion... that I don't need no distractions! I WANT to defend this legendary title on Nitro, on Panic!, at House of Cards... and then I want to walk into Starrcade 2001, in Miami, Florida as the WCW United States Championship and prove to the world that I'm not just the future of WCW... but the future of the entire industry! 

WCW Buff Bagwell 4th Theme Song - "Buff Daddy" (With Tron) (youtube.com)

We see Buff Bagwell come out at the entrance ramp with Buff Daddy V

Buff Bagwell says he's heard enough of Kanyon bigging himself up. Kanyon is the future of WCW? The entire industry? Bagwell says that's a load of horse-shit!

Bagwell says that he is the man of the hour in WCW and he's the man to lead this company back to the very top of the industry!

Buff says Kanyon doesn't want to compete at WCW House of Cards because he knows he can't handle the pressure of defending the WCW United States Championship and going for the WCW World Heavyweight Champion at the same time.

Bagwell says he never got this shot at the WCW United States Championship... but he's the rightful #1 Contender! Buff says next week he as a WCW House of Cards Qualifier and he plans on winning that match, taking that WCW United States Championship from Kanyon, then going to House of Cards and winning that too. 

Bagwell says he will walk into Starrcade 2001 as the WCW United States Champion, defend that belt, then win the WCW World Heavyweight Championship in the main-event, proving to the world that he's the best in the business! 

Kanyon says if Bagwell's man enough why doesn't he come down and challenge Kanyon for the title right now?!

Bagwell laughs and says Chris, you just wrestled tonight, it wouldn't be fair on you, but trust me, sooner rather than later that WCW United States Championship will be mine...

Freestyle segment with Kanyon and Buff Bagwell - (58 rated) 

----

Poker Tournament

We see a disappointed looking Rob Van Dam stand up in Shane's Office. 

"Unlucky, Van Dam!" says DDP, as it appears RVD is eliminated from the Poker Tournament.

Rob says he never had a great Poker face anyway

Van Dam says he will just have to do it the hard way. 

RVD says at House of Cards the winner will be... ROB...VAN...DAM!

The Poker Tournament is now down to just 3 men... Booker T, DDP and Lance Storm!

Freestyle segment with Rob Van Dam and Shane McMahon - (69 rated) 

---

Dreamer Promo

Tommy Dreamer cuts a promo where he says DDP scored a lucky win against him at Halloween Havoc... but I'm The Innovator of Violence... I'm not done in WCW... not by a long shot... next up I've got a Qualifier for the House of Cards Match and you better believe I'll show the WCW fans and locker-room why I'm the man to beat in that match!

Freestyle segment with Tommy Dreamer - (59 rated) 

----

Match 6: 

House of Cards Qualifying Match 3 of 18: Road Warrior Animal vs Tommy Dreamer

Road Warriors Entrance Video (youtube.com)

We see Road Warrior Animal come out with Road Warrior Dog but Animal indicates that he's happy to go this match alone so Dog goes to the back.

Tommy Dreamer Classic Theme - "Man In The Box" (youtube.com)

Tommy Dreamer then comes out looking very determined to prove himself

This match is more of a brawl than a technical wrestling match with both guys putting in heavy hits and punches throughout. 

Animal gives a really good showing of himself but the commentators mention how at this stage in his career he's so used to being a tag-team guy that in singles matches he doesn't have the same stamina to see it out. 

Dreamer grows into the match and he caps off a good showing with a brutal looking Dreamer DDT to get himself the win.

Tommy Dreamer wins via pinfall - (6.22) - (68 rated) 

----

House of Cards Match Qualifiers

1. Wildcard Joker
2. Wildcard Joker
3. Terry Funk
4. Billy Kidman
5. Tommy Dreamer

----

Poker Tournament

We cut back to the Poker Tournament and this time it's Lance Storm standing up angrily. 

Storm says if he can be serious for a minute, holding a Poker tournament to decide who gets to be #1 Contender for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship is the stupidest idea I ever heard. 

Lance Storm then storms out whilst DDP and Booker T laugh

DDP says "Well Book, looks like it's just the 2 of us left" 

Booker T says "Good luck Dallas, but you better believe it's me going to Vegas to fight for that title, not you!"

Freestyle segment with Lance Storm, Booker T and DDP - (65 rated) 

----

Match 7: 

Juventud Guerrera vs Jamie Knoble (with Kid Kash) - Non-Title match

Jamie Noble's 2004 Titantron Entrance Video feat. "Trailer Park" Theme (youtube.com)

WCW Juventud Guerrera 2nd Theme Song - "Summer Nights In Spain" (With 2nd Tron) (youtube.com)

Well folks, says Tony Schiavone, Juventud Guerrera, the WCW World Cruiserweight Champion, he didn't win the WCW Cruiserweight Classic, although some would say he got robbed and cheated after Brian Lawler spat in his face to help get a win against him. Juventud and his pals in the MexiCruisers put down The Sons of the South at Halloween Havoc though and Juvi looking to get a statement victory here tonight

Jamie Knoble comes out the gate really aggressive which catches Juvi off guard, meaning Jamie Knoble comes out looking good in the match against the champion. But Juvi grows into the match and it's not long before he gets the win with the Juvi Driver

Juventud Guerrera wins via pinfall - (5.29) - (52 rated) 

---

Juvi Promo

After the match Juvi grabs a mic

Juvi says you know I expected Kidman to come out here and challenge me for my WCW World Crusierweight Championship at House of Cards, but he's decided he can't beat Juvi, he's got to go up a weight class just to avoid having to face me... I understand, Kidman, man, I understand.

But that brings me to the next question of who is next in line for my title? 

Finlay's 2006 v2 Titantron Entrance Video feat. "Lambeg v2" Theme [HD] (youtube.com)

We see Fit Finlay come out with Tajiri and Dave Taylor

Fit Finlay has a microphone and he says that his protégé, Tajiri, was the runner-up in the WCW Cruiserweight Classic. He put in a hell of a performance in that tournament, so if Kidman doesn't want a shot at Juvi, then at House of Cards, it should be Tajiri who takes on Juvi! 

Juvi seems to look happy enough with this outcome

Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy (Original Mix - 2006 Version) (youtube.com)

Wait a minute, says Tony Schiavone. That's 'Sexy' Brian Lawler, with David Flair and Erik Watts - The Sons of the South! 

Brian Lawler on the mic says Tajiri didn't win the WCW Crusierweight Classic, so he shouldn't be getting a title shot. Lawler says he got a pinfall victory over Juvi in that Tournament and so it should be him who is the #1 Contender! 

WWE Theme - Eric Bischoff "I'm Back" (youtube.com)

Eric Bischoff comes out and he says both Tajiri and 'Sexy' Brian Lawler have decent claims for a shot at the WCW World Cruiserweight Championship

So next week, live on Nitro, it will be Tajiri vs 'Sexy' Brian Lawler... the winner will go to House of Cards in Las Vegas, Nevada and challenge Juventud Guerrera for the title! 

Freestyle segment with Juventud Guerrera, Fit's Fight Club, The Sons of the South and Eric Bischoff - (53 rated) 

----

Poker Tournament

We get back to DDP vs Booker T in the Poker Tournament

The two men are about to lay down their cards.

Booker T goes first.

We see 3 Kings, with a 4 of Spades and a 6 of Hearts

Three of a Kind! says Booker T looking pleased with himself.

Shane McMahon says that's a decent hand Booker, Page, what you got?

DDP seems to look a bit crestfallen, but then lays down his Hand.

It's a Full House! We see 3 Jacks and 2 Queens!

Booker T says does that mean he won? Tell me he hasn't won this Poker Tournament?!

Shane McMahon says "sorry Book, our winner is D-D-P!!"

DDP is pleased with himself, Booker T looks really disappointed. 

Shane says Booker T will still have a chance to qualify for the House of Cards Match at least next week on Nitro. 

DDP offers his hand out to Booker T. DDP says when I take that WCW World Heavyweight Championship back from Scott Hall at House of Cards, if it's going to be anyone winning that House of Cards Match and facing me in the main-event at Starrcade 2001... I hope it's you Book. Let's have our rematch from Big Bang done right this time! 

Booker T shakes his hand. Booker T says he's never done anything easy in his career, he guesses he won't start here, he vows to qualify for the House of Cards Match and then outlast 19 other men to headline WCW Starrcade 2001 and get his WCW World Heavyweight Championship back whatever it takes! 

Tony Schiavone confirms that it will be Scott Hall vs DDP for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship at House of Cards!

Freestyle segment with Booker T, DDP and Shane McMahon - (84 rated) 

----

Match 8 / Main Event: 

Scott Hall vs Dusty Rhodes - Non-Title Match

WCW Dusty Rhodes Theme - "American Dream" (youtube.com)

We see a spirited and determined Dusty Rhodes come out to a decent pop

ECW: Ready Or Not (Scott Hall) [Feat Fugees] - Single + Download Link (youtube.com)

Scott Hall then comes walking in with the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. 

He gets into the ring and Dusty Rhodes is all-fired up and shouting at him. Scott dismisses him and is telling him to calm down, but Dusty wants Justice for Dustin and he starts the match on fire going all out against Hall! 

Rhodes gets a decent amount of offence in on Hall, but at 56 and not in great shape he soon tires and the high energy start he came in with backfires on him. 

Scott Hall gets back the momentum and it's not long before Dusty Rhodes is on the ropes. The end of the match comes when Scott Hall manages to hit a Razor's Edge and gets the pin. 

Scott Hall wins via pinfall - (6.05) - (58 rated) 

----

After the match with officials helping Dusty Rhodes get back to his feet and to the back, Scott Hall grabs a mic

Scott says to the officials "get that piece of shit out of MY ring!"

Hall says Dusty Rhodes came here for Justice... I told you all I had nothing to do with The Sandman's attack on Dustin Rhodes... and if there is a God... he has dealt out your Justice, Dusty. 

WCW DDP Theme Song Self High Five (youtube.com)

DDP comes out to a big pop with a mic

Scott Hall looks flustered and annoyed at DDP's arrival.

DDP says "Scott! You used to be a good buddy of mine, a guy I respected a lot... all of that has gone down the toilet since you came back to WCW, man. You wanna talk about Justice, huh? Well in Las Vegas, Nevada... DDP gets HIS JUSTICE... you screwed me out of getting back that WCW World Heavyweight Championship at Big Bang and then Bash at the Beach too... I've had to wait 4 months to earn a shot again... well I'm not letting it go to waste! At House of Cards... I'm coming away with a Full House and the Big Gold Belt...BANG!!!

The show ends with Scott Hall shouting angrily at DDP off the mic as DDP stands at the entrance ramp just laughing.

Freestyle segment with DDP & Scott Hall - (99 rated) 

---

Show Rating: 79
0.91 TV rating (690K viewers)

• Like 3

af99a35925f98a760f72ef02088c091c.png

WCW agree PPV deals to show House of Cards & Starrcade 2001 in the UK, Europe, Mexico and Japan

It has been a struggle for Shane McMahon to get WCW back on TV or even PPV since coming back on air in May of 2001, but Shane McMahon confirmed on Nitro that PPV deals have been struck to ensure fans won't miss out on seeing 2 of WCW's biggest shows of the year live on PPV.

WCW had existing PPV deals with DirecTV in the U.S, Vu! and Viewer's Choice Home Theatre in Canada, Centennial Communications in Puerto Rico, Sky Network Television in New Zealand and Foxtel in Australia. But they have now agreed deals with Canal 5 in Mexico, Nippon TV in Japan, Sky Sports 1 in the UK, AB1 in France, Switzerland, Morocco and Lebanon, and Sport TV in Spain. 

It is thought that Shane McMahon is hopeful of House of Cards and Starrcade 2001 going down well in these markets so he can then negotiate TV deals for Nitro and Panic! with these companies to finally get WCW back on TV in these regions too.

Shane McMahon had hopes of taking a WCW PPV internationally next year, with rumours of Halloween Havoc 2002 set to take place in Japan, but it is thought that WCW have already had to shelve these plans as they lost too much presence in Japan and other regions by being off TV or PPV for the first 6 months.

There are talks of WCW heading out to Canada for the first time under Shane's reign though, with rumours that the "Greed" PPV will not return as the March WCW PPV and it will instead be branded as something else. WCW are set to announce their full 2002 PPV schedule at some point before the end of the year at which point we should get more information.

• Like 3

Friday Night Panic! Episode 14: 

Friday 02 November 2001

Live late-night on FX

5,875 crowd from Little Rock, Arkansas

Announcers: Joey Styles, Scott Hudson & Stevie Ray

-------------------------------------

Show opens up with Sum 41's 'Fat Lip'

Fat Lip (youtube.com)

Joey Styles kicks the show by welcoming fans to WCW Friday Night Panic! LIVE from Little Rock, Arkansas!

What a show we've got for you tonight says Scott Hudson! We've got a Fatal 4-Woman match to determine who will face Malia Hosaka for a shot at Akira Hokuto's WCW World Women's Championship at House of Cards, that match will see the dominant Chyna, take on Torrie Wilson, Stacy Keibler and the new upcoming young side-kick to The Hurricane, The Gale. 

That's right Scott, says Joey Styles, we've also got the next edition of the Steve Corino Open Challenge and we already know who it will be, as Mikey Whipwreck put out the challenge to Corino on Nitro, that's a huge main-event folks as two former ECW World Heavyweight Champions collide for the WCW FXtreme Television Championship! 

Joey Styles then says and folks we got a WORLD EXCLUSIVE for you tonight. I got in touch with my old pal The Sandman and despite Shane McMahon personally trying to prevent this from happening, as I have the final call with our good friends at the FX Network, you WILL hear from The Sandman as he gives his account of what happened at Halloween Havoc! 

Scott Hudson looks nervous and awkward at that.

Stevie Ray then quickly moves on says and here's something I'm extra interested in tonight folks. I'm putting it out there live on air that I will be competing in the WCW House of Cards Qualifiers, I don't know who I'm facing but I got my match next week on Nitro, but we got another qualifier for that match tonight with former 2 time WCW World Hardcore Champion, BIG WIGGLE HIMSELF, Norman Smiley, going toe to toe with 3 time former WCW World Tag Team Champion, Shawn Stasiak!

Scott Hudson then says yes folks we've got a hell of a jam-packed 60 minute show, we will also hear tonight from Curt Hennig and your brother, Stevie, as Booker T gives us his reaction to missing out in the Poker Tournament on Nitro, but right now we're opening our show with the debut of a brand new tag team here in WCW as Disco Inferno is finally granted his wish to team with Chavo Guerrero Jr!

----

Match 1: 

Lane & Lodi (Lenny Lane & Lodi) vs Latino Inferno (Disco Inferno & Chavo Guerrero Jr)

Lane & Lodi are already in the ring as we see WCW's newest tag team come out from the back

Disco Inferno (Edit) (youtube.com)

LATINO INFERNO is lighted up in flaming Disco text on the video package as "BURN BABY BURN, DISCO INFERNO" by the The Trammps is blasted out. 

Disco Inferno looks like he's having the time of his life dancing and looking really happy, whilst Chavo is a bit more reluctant and seems a little embarrassed by all the fanfare. 

This is not a dominant victory for Latino Inferno as it's their first time teaming together it is clear that they're struggling to find chemistry together. 

Lane and Lodi take advantage of this and manage to get some offence in when Disco and Chavo make some mistakes and their timing is off.

As the match goes on Chavo and Disco grow into it.

The finish of the match comes when with Disco as the legal man they hit what appears to be their tag-team finisher. Chavo goes to the top rope, as Disco Inferno hits a Chart Buster on Lodi, a very prone Lodi feels for the force of the move but doesn't quite fall to the mat as Chavo Guerrero Jr then nails him with a missile drop-kick from the top rope. 

Disco then gets the pin on Lodi for the win. 

Latino Inferno win via pinfall - (5.18) - (44 rated) 

After the match Latino Inferno celebrate in the ring with Disco trying to get Chavo to dance

----

April Hunter with Curt Hennig

April Hunter says "Curt, you helped Team Booker T get the win in the Texas Tornado match at Halloween Havoc, what's next for Curt Hennig in WCW?"

Curt says it was a big struggle for him to move past the loss to Scott Hall at WCW Mayhem in the Steel Cage. After that disappointment he wasn't sure if he wanted to continue in WCW. But in recent months he's enjoyed helping out friends like Booker T, Expressly American and fighting for WCW... Curt says he's involved in the WCW House of Cards Qualifiers and his main focus now is qualifying for that match... if I qualify, well the odds are still against me, but I got a chance to go to the main event of Starrcade 2001 and win the big one... whether it's against Scott again, or Dallas Page, it don't matter to me April... but that's the dream and all I can do is give my all and see what happens!

Freestyle segment with April Hunter and Curt Hennig - (58 rated) 

---

Shawn Stasiak / Norman Smiley promo

We see Shawn Stasiak cutting a promo in the back with Mark Jindrak by his side

Stasiak says he's not been in the best of form in recent weeks, but the bottom line is across the course of the last 6 months since Shane McMahon has taken over WCW I've still been one of the best performing talents in this company. I earned my shot in the House of Cards Qualifiers and tonight... whether I have Stacy in my corner or not... I WILL qualify and be one step closer to the main-event of Starrcade 2001! 

Just as he says this Stacy Keibler walks into set

There's awkward tension between them

Stasiak says "so, Stacy, you gonna be in my corner tonight, or what?"

Stacy Keibler is annoyed and she says "really? My chance to try and get a shot at the WCW World Women's Championship is up next and all you care about is whether I'll be in your corner tonight? Shawn, consider any kind of business or personal relationship we have together as FINISHED!" 

Stacy storms off as Shawn Stasiak looks a bit taken back

Norman Smiley then wanders into set

Smiley says "It looks like your having problems with the ladies, Stasiak. Do you need some pointers from BIG WIGGLE?!" 

Stasiak is angered by this.

Stasiak says "You think you're a funny guy, Smiley? I'll wipe that smile off your face later!" 

Freestyle segment with Shawn Stasiak, Stacy Keibler and Norman Smiley - (54 rated)

----

Match 2: 

Fatal 4-Women Match to determine who will advance to the Final of the #1 Contender Tournament: Chyna vs Stacy Keibler vs Torrie Wilson (with Billy Kidman) vs The Gale

Akira Hokuto 4th - Pacific Zone (WCW Official Theme) (youtube.com)

We see Akira Hokuto come out with 'Sinister' James Mitchell and a fairly bulky Japanese woman

Well folks, says Scott Hudson, we're joined by James Mitchell and the WCW World Women's Champion, Akira Hokuto, and I believe this is erm-

James Mitchell angrily says Scott I know you don't watch Japanese wrestling that much, but this is Chigusa Nagoya, our esteemed guest for tonight. She's been a Champion multiple times in Japan, she's one half of the Crash Gals, only one of the biggest tag-teams in the history of Japanese wrestling, not just Women's wrestling, but wrestling full-stop. In the 80's in Japan, you couldn't move for Chigusa Nagoya! 

And to what end is she your esteemed guest here tonight? asks Scott Hudson. James Mitchell says she was just in the area and so we invited her along. 

She was just in Little Rock, Arkansas? asks Stevie Ray

It's a popular tourist destination worldwide, Stevie! says Mitchell. You gonna talk down this fine place in front of thousands of natives? 

The Hurricane's 2003 Titantron Entrance Video feat. "Eye of the Hurricane v2" Theme [HD] (youtube.com)

The Gale comes out with The Hurricane but then seems to indicate to The Hurricane that she's got this and The Hurricane disappears as quickly as he appeared

Stacy Keibler WWE Theme - Legs (youtube.com)

Stacy comes out alone as the commentators speculate on her ongoing issues with Shawn Stasiak who has a match later tonight. It looks like she's done with him to me! says Stevie.

Torrie Wilson - Need A Little Time (Official Theme) (youtube.com)

Torrie comes out with Billy Kidman who the announcers mention qualified for the House of Cards match off the back of his WCW Cruiserweight Classic 2001 Tournament win

TNA Chyna Theme Hell On Heels (youtube.com)

Chyna comes out looking up for this match and determined to get the win. She is solely focused on getting the victory that she doesn't even give any notice to the announce desk.

With 4 women competing in this match it's fairly chaotic in nature, but Chyna carries the match as at various points she goes toe-to-toe with all 3 women, but just as she tries to put one down another one pops up. They know she's the woman to beat but they just can't live with her.

The end of the match comes when Chyna hits a vicious Elbow Strike to The Gale which knocks her out in the mat. 

Chyna clotheslines Torrie Wilson out of the ring and then punches Stacy Keibler off the apron. 

Chyna is ready to go for the pin on The Gale, when suddenly Chigusa Nagoya gets up from the announce desk after Akira Hokuto says something in Japanese.

Chigusa Nagoya walks down the entrance ramp. 

Chyna looks at her, daring her to come down.

Scott Hudson mentions how Chigusa Nagoya, the size of her, she looks like potentially the closest we've come to seeing someone match up to Chyna in WCW so far. 

Chigusa Nagoya comes right down to the end of the entrance ramp and Chyna climbs over the top rope, jumps down and stands right in front of Chigusa Nagoya. 

Nagoya doesn't flinch as Chyna continues to stare her down from close range.

Suddenly we hear Kidman shouting at ringside. 

In the ring we see Torrie Wilson pin The Gale who still seems pretty knocked out from Chyna's Elbow Strike.

Chyna notices this and immediately scrambles to get back into the ring

The referee counts 1-2-3! Chyna didn't get there in time to break up the count!

Torrie Wilson wins via pinfall - (4.37) - (39 rated) 

----

After the match Chyna looks absolutely furious at what's gone down.

Torrie Wilson celebrates enthusiastically with Billy Kidman who gets in the ring to celebrate with her. 

Chyna gets out of the ring to head down to take out her frustration on Chigusa Nagoya, but Nagoya has already walked off smiling to the top of the entrance ramp.

'Sinister' James Mitchell and Akira Hokuto have left the announce desk before Scott Hudson can question them on their involvement. 

Hokuto, Mitchell and Nagoya walk off as Chyna looks really hacked off at the bottom of the entrance ramp.

----

April Hunter with Booker T

April Hunter asks Booker T how it feels to have been so close to winning the Poker Tournament and getting that shot against Scott Hall at House of Cards 

Booker T says of course he's disappointed, but he's got no heat with DDP, DDP won that Poker Tournament fair and square and as I always say, don't hate the player, hate the game! 

Booker T says he's been working hard to get back to being top dog in WCW, he's overcome injury and other obstacles and if his Journey to Main Event of Starrcade 2001 for that WCW World Heavyweight Championship has to come the hard way... then so be it!

April Hunter asks how he prepares for his House of Cards Qualifying match next week on Nitro without knowing who it will be against.

Booker says he will prepare how he prepares for every match. Train well, be prepared for anything and he knows on the night if everything goes well there's no man in WCW who can beat him! 

Booker T says next week on Nitro he will book his ticket to House of Cards in Las Vegas, NOW CAN YOU DIG THAT, SUCKAS?!?!

Freestyle segment with Booker T & April Hunter - (88 rated) 

----

Match 3: 

House of Cards Qualifying Match 4 of 18: Norman Smiley vs Shawn Stasiak (with Mark Jindrak)

WCW Norman Smiley 2nd Theme Song - "Yadda Yadda" (With Tron) (youtube.com)

We see Big Wiggle make his way to the ring looking in a good and up for this match

WCW Shawn Stasiak 4th Theme Song - "Stasiak Theme" (With Tron) (youtube.com)

Shawn Stasiak comes out with Jindrak by his side. He looks a bit distracted, perhaps annoyed by what happened earlier with Stacy Keibler.

This is a very even match with both guys getting in a lot of offence on the other. Norman Smiley is in the mood and having a good time joking about during the match. Stasiak is aggressive but this works against him, with Smiley bantering him more and more getting Stasiak more and more riled up throughout the match. 

The end of the match comes when Norman Smiley looks to be in control, but Mark Jindrak interferes grabbing the rope and distracting him. Jindrak and Smiley get into an argument and whilst Smiley is distracted, Stasiak rolls up Smiley and uses the rope as leverage to get the cheap win. 

Shawn Stasiak wins via pinfall - (5.18) - (48 rated) 

---

After the match Stasiak manages to make a quick exit with Jindrak as Norman Smiley looks on in disappointment and seemingly not done with Stasiak & Jindrak

---

1. Wildcard 1
2. Wildcard 2
3. Billy Kidman
4. Shawn Stasiak
5. Terry Funk
6. Tommy Dreamer

---

Joey Styles shows a video interview with The Sandman

When we come back from break we see Joey Styles at the top of the entrance ramp. 

Joey says millions of fans across the world where left asking The Sandman... WHY?! at Halloween Havoc

It seems that the narrative put out by journalists and accepted by fans is that Scott Hall, The Sandman's former employer, paid him off despite their differences to keep his title against Dustin Rhodes. 

But I was able to speak to The Sandman earlier today and he told a very different story. So fans, on behalf of FX, let me exclusively reveal the footage that Shane McMahon DOESN'T WANT YOU TO SEE!! 

/

We see Joey Styles talking to The Sandman in a recorded interview earlier in the day

The Sandman appears to be drunk and is chain-smoking throughout.

Joey says this is your chance to tell the people why you did what you did, Sandman.

The Sandman looks into the camera, takes a drink, then says "look Joey. You know what I think about the people? F*** the people!" 

Joey mutters they'll have to edit that out when they show it. "Alright then, if not for the people, what about for the record? Your reputation? For Shane McMahon? As things stand people think you saved Scott Hall cause he paid you off! Did you?" 

The Sandman laughs as he takes a big drag on a cigarette.

"I didn't do that S*** to Dustin Rhodes 'cause I got paid off by Scott. I ain't gonna lie to you Joey, if Scott Hall had come up to me in Texas and offered me a S*** load of money to do that, I probably would've done it! But I went to that Arena to get my last cheque from WCW who paid me every cent of the contract I had with Scott Hall cause of that contract clause he had for a driver." 

Joey Styles says "but if Scott Hall didn't pay you off, then why'd you do it? I thought you hated Scott Hall? Last time we saw you, you destroyed his Bentley. I thought he was suing you to get the money back? So why save him?" 

The Sandman laughs and says "It wasn't about Scott Hall. It wasn't about screwing over Dustin Rhodes either."

Joey Styles says "Then who?!" 

The Sandman says "Shane! I did that S*** as a final F*** you to Shane McMahon on my way out. You see when I got to that Arena that day I got told Shane McMahon wanted to see me. Well he's a McMahon, so I went to see him. You know what he offered me Joey? He offered me a WCW contract... he said I could have a WCW contract, signed, sealed, delivered, on 1 condition... that I get that WCW World Heavyweight Championship off of Scott Hall." 

"No..." says Joey Styles. "But then, why didn't you take it? I thought a WCW contract was what you wanted?!" 

The Sandman drinks some more and says "I took a look at the contract. You know how much Shane offered me? Square root of F*** all. He was offering me less money than I made in ECW... and I didn't make S*** in ECW! I looked at that contract and I saw how little value Shane McMahon saw in me... I saw what he thinks of guys like me... he will never understand what it's like to struggle like I have... to work hard like I have... well you know what I thought... I thought F*** you Shane. But I smiled and said it all looked great and that I'd see him tonight in the main event!" 

The Sandman continues "I walked out into the Arena and even when I saw Scott Hall down on the floor like he was about to cry like a little Bitch, I was tempted Joey, I was tempted to take the contract... but then I thought, no, as much as I hate Scott Hall... I hate Shane McMahon more... so I made sure Scott Hall won that match and Shane didn't get what he wanted... didn't have me doing his dirty work again!" 

Joey Styles looks shocked but excited by this information. 

"What's next for you, Sandman?" asks Joey.

The Sandman has another drink and says "Look Joey. I'm done with WCW. Sometimes you gotta be careful what you wish for. I thought being in WCW was what I wanted, what I needed to stay in this business for the next few years... but you know what? F*** WCW, F*** Shane McMahon... I don't need that S**t, I'm done with all that politics... unless you're paying me F*** you money, I wouldn't consider coming back to WCW, WWF, get bent!" 

Freestyle segment with Joey Styles and The Sandman - (59 rated) 

----

Joey Styles on commentary says "Wow. Shocking world exclusive revelations from The Sandman earlier today!" 

Stevie Ray says "Is that cat saying Shane McMahon told him to see off Scott Hall and that's why he was there??" 

Scott Hudson looks flustered and says "of course we must remind viewers this is just the narrative that The Sandman is putting forward... we don't know whether that's fact or fiction at all at this point"

Joey Styles laughs at Hudson for towing the company line.

---

House of Cards Promo with DDP

We see a Promo Package hyping up Scott Hall vs DDP at House of Cards, as well as the House of Cards Match

DDP says "At House of Cards... I'm putting everything in... if it pays off... I'll walk into Starrcade 2001 as the WCW World Heavyweight Champion... and I like the sound of that!" 

Freestyle segment hyping House of Cards with DDP - (89 rated)

----

Match 4 / Main Event

The Steve Corino Open Challenge: Steve Corino (c) (with Don Callis) vs Mikey Whipwreck in a No-Disqualification Match

ECW Mikey Whipwreck Custom Titantron (youtube.com)

Joey Styles explains how normally for this Open Challenge we'd see Steve Corino come out first... then depending on whether the person who opened the challenge was a former WCW World Television Champion, or World Hardcore or ECW Television Champion, we'd find out if it was a Standard match or No-Disqualification match... however, since Whipwreck challenged him on Nitro we know this will be a No-Disqualification match already

Stevie Ray says is it really an open challenge if we know who's coming out? 

ECW Steve Corino Custom Titantron (youtube.com)

Steve Corino comes out with the WCW FXtreme Television Championship, with Don Callis by his side. 

The match begins and both guys from the get go are going all-out to try and get the win. Corino and Whipwreck trade rough blows and the match soon gets to the outside where they fight against the apron, Corino slams Whipwreck's head into the steel-steps, they even end up fighting in the crowd at one point.

They get back in the ring and Whipwreck seems to have some of the fans behind him. They believe they could see an upset.

Whipwreck goes for a Whipper-Snapper on Corino, but Corino manages to counter and puts Mikey in a Sleeper hold. 

Whipwreck grabs onto the ropes but there's no-disqualification, no rope-breaks, it's all legal! 

Whipwreck eventually fades as Corino successfully chokes him out to retain his title.

Steve Corino retains via submission - (6.02) - (62 rated)

---

The show goes off air with Steve Corino and Don Callis standing tall, as the announcers hype up next week's Nitro and Panic!

----

Show Rating: 74
0.81 TV rating (615K viewers)

• Like 1

6a9d66b09daa24e872c0264807b34eff.png

WWF sign KroniK

WWF today confirmed they'd bolstered their tag-team division by bringing in Brian Adams and Bryan Clark, KroniK, who are former 2-time WCW World Tag Team Champions.

It is thought higher ups in WCW, especially Vince McMahon, were keen to "get one over" on Shane and WCW, having recently hired Rey Mysterio with KroniK's Time-Warner contracts expiring they came in with an offer that was accepted by the duo. It is believed that where KroniK is trademarked by WCW, they will debut in WWF as "Chronic Pain" instead. 

Shane McMahon is not thought to have put in a contract offer to KroniK as there are many in WCW who did not rate them as a team and they were even voted "Worst Tag Team" by the Wrestling Observer last year.

Vince is initially quite pleased with what he has seen of them, indicating that "they're both such big guys!" and it is thought they will debut on WWF television sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nitro Episode 28 of the Shane McMahon Era (Episode 316 including pre-Shane)

Wednesday 07 November 2001

Live late-night on FX

9,940 crowd from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 

Tony Schiavone on commentary says it's Wednesday night folks and you know what that means! It's WCW Nitro, LIVE from PITTSBURGH!

Jerry Lawler excitedly says that's right Tony, we're here in the Steel City and the Journey to Starrcade continues here in Pennsylvania!

Tony Schiavone says that's right folks, tonight will see a lot more qualifying matches for the inaugural House of Cards Match in Las Vegas at the end of this month, we've had it confirmed that all of Booker T, Rob Van Dam, Lance Storm, the returning Dustin Rhodes, Buff Bagwell and our broadcast colleague, Stevie Ray, will have qualifying matches today, alongside several other stars, but we don't know who will face who at this point!

That's right Tony, says Arn Anderson, we've also got the new number 1 contender for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, Diamond Dallas Page in action tonight, plus we see WCW Cruiserweight Classic 2001 runner-up, Tajiri, take on 'Sexy' Brian Lawler for the opportunity to face WCW World Cruiserweight Champion, Juventud Guerrera, for that title in Vegas.

Jerry Lawler then says but starting off our program is our chairman and owner, Shane McMahon!
-----

Shane McMahon promo

We see Shane McMahon at the top of the entrance ramp

Shane welcomes fans from Pennsylvania to what he hopes will be an exciting show. 

Shane hypes up the House of Cards PPV coming up in Vegas and says tonight in Pittsburgh we take another big step on the Journey to Starrcade 2001. 

Shane says there's some high stakes matches on the card tonight, he won't reveal all of the Qualifying matches for House of Cards, but he can exclusively reveal that in tonight's main-event, in one of those Qualifying matches, for the first time ever it will be ROB VAN DAM... vs BUFF BAGWELL!!

The fans pop at this

Shane McMahon then addresses the comments made by The Sandman on Friday Night Panic! 

Shane McMahon denies offering The Sandman a contract if he intervened in the main-event of Halloween Havoc. Shane says The Sandman is just bitter he never got hired in WCW. Shane says if The Sandman ever decides to show up on Nitro or a PPV event again then he will gladly give him the beating of a life-time! 

ECW: Ready Or Not (Scott Hall) [Feat Fugees] - Single + Download Link (youtube.com)

Scott Hall comes out with the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. 

Scott Hall says he's not sure who to believe out of The Sandman or a McMahon, but Scott Hall says that Shane McMahon would have had to watch The Sandman come into the ring and let it happen... so even if he didn't order it... he still let it happen because he thought The Sandman would go after him and help him lose the WCW World Heavyweight Championship

Scott Hall angrily says to Shane McMahon that he brought him into WCW to be a Top Guy... you brought me into WCW to be the Top Star that it needed to draw money and become a reputable and profitable wrestling company again... well now it seems that you got more than you bargained for Shane... well let me tell you something, Shane. You think you're a tough guy, huh? You think if The Sandman rolled up you could give him the beating of a life-time, huh? I'd like to see that... but Shane... if you EVER try to steal this title away from again... let me tell you I'll give YOU the beating of a life-time and wish you never bought this company! 

DDP comes out and gets in Scott Hall's face in defence of Shane McMahon

DDP says you better watch yourself Scott. The NWO doesn't run things anymore. The days where you can intimidate the owners and bosses in this company are OVER. You talk about having that title stolen from you Scott, brother, you stole that title from Booker T AND from me when you cheated in that Triangle match with us...well at House of Cards... I TAKE IT BACK! 

Scott Hall gets in DDP's face as Shane McMahon calls security and road agents to separate them

Freestyle segment with Shane McMahon, Scott Hall and DDP - (91 rated) 

----

Match 1: 

The MexiCruisers (Super Crazy & Psychosis) vs Kid Romeo & Elix Skipper

WCW THEMES: Elix Skipper "Primetime Elix Skipper" (youtube.com)

Mexicools - theme and Titantron Video (youtube.com)

This is a high-flying cruiserweight match to start the show. Super Crazy, Psychosis and Skipper especially put in a solid performance with high-risk, high-reward offence in this match. 

The end of the match comes when Kid Romeo appears to be flirting with a fan in the front row, when Skipper gets caught by a double-drop kick in the ring by The MexiCruisers. Super Crazy then dives to the outside as Kid Romeo tries to get back into the ring and Psychosis hits a Psycho Stunner on Elix Skipper to get the win.

The MexiCruisers win via pinfall - (6.02) - (52 rated) 

After the match we see Kid Romeo apologising to Elix Skipper, but Elix Skipper doesn't look too impressed with Romeo.

----

JJ Dillon interview with Team Canada 

Lance Storm, Mike Awesome and Carl Ouellet are standing by with JJ Dillon

JJ Dillon says well it was disappointment for you Lance and Mike in the Poker Tournament last week on Nitro, but we hear you both have the chance to qualify for the House of Cards Match for a shot at the WCW World Heavyweight Championship at Starrcade

Lance Storm says thanks JJ, yes, I think Shane McMahon recognises that tag-team wrestling in WCW is of a very high standard, as two of Canada's finest athletes we've raised the bar for what is expected of a tag-team and I think he knows even though we're the best tag-team in WCW, we're also two of the best wrestlers, period. 

JJ Dillon says Shane McMahon has actually stated if you both qualify for the House of Cards Match that you will not have to defend the WCW World Tag Team Championship at House of Cards. There will be some tag-teams in WCW who would be quite annoyed at that, what do you say to them?

Mike Awesome says he's not surprised that there are tag-teams that are jealous of them! Mike Awesome says when you hold Championship gold in your hands, when in every match you hold your opponents career in your hands because you're the CAREER KILLER... and when ever night you hold someone else's marriage in your hands because you're the FAT CHICK THRILLER... of course there's going to be guys jealous of that. 

JJ Dillon says tonight it is your turn to qualify Lance Storm and I can exclusively reveal that your opponent is a man you know very well... in-fact in your last singles match he actually beat you... as tonight you go 1-on-1 with Road Warrior Dog for a spot at House of Cards! What's your immediate reaction to that?!

Lance Storm looks very flustered and a bit apprehensive

Storm says "JJ... if I can be serious for a minute... we just beat The Nu Road Warriors at Halloween Havoc and whilst that no good son of a gun Road Warrior Dog got lucky against me last time, he won't this time"

Freestyle segment with JJ Dillon and Team Canada - (62 rated) 

---

Booker T promo

WCW Booker T Theme (youtube.com)

Booker T comes to the ring with his manager Sharmell

Booker T cuts a promo where he says last week he came up short in the Poker Tournament... he won't get to face Scott Hall at House of Cards for the chance to walk into Starrcade 2001 as the WCW World Heavyweight Champion... (fans boo)

But let me tell you something... I back my friend Dallas Page to beat Scott Hall's ass and take that belt off of him... and at Starrcade 2001, after I qualify for the House of Cards match and after I WIN that match... the main-event of the biggest show of the year... we re-run Big Bang... DDP vs Booker T and we do it right this time... now can you dig that?!?!

Fans cheer

Booker T then says he's out here right now for his House of Cards Match qualifier... he has no idea who his opponent is, but he says that's how he likes it... that's how it will be at House of Cards... every time the bell goes a surprise entrant will come out... so this will help him prepare...

"Who's it going to be?!" asks Tony Schiavone

Stevie Ray's Titantron Entrance Video feat. ''Rap Sheet'' wcw Theme song [HD] (youtube.com)

WHAT!! exclaims Jerry Lawler

Oh brother! says Tony Schiavone as Booker T's brother and long-time tag-team partner, Stevie Ray walks out! 

Booker T looks shocked

Stevie Ray has a microphone and he says "Book... brother... I had no idea when I entered these qualifiers for the House of Cards match that they'd pit me up against you... I know how much getting back that WCW World Heavyweight Championship means to you, Book... but I entered this competition to win... this could be my last shot to become a World Champion before the end of my career... and if that means I have to try and stop you from achieving your dream... then I guess that's how it's gonna have to be!"

Booker T on the mic says "Stevie, I wouldn't want it any other way! Now get in here so I can whoop your ass like I did when we was kids!" 

Freestyle segment with Harlem Heat - (98 rated)

---

Match 2: 

House of Cards Qualifying Match 5 of 18: Booker T (with Sharmell) vs Stevie Ray

This match starts off with both men sizing each other up. Booker and Stevie have been more used to fighting together than against each other, but both men recognise to achieve glory at House of Cards and/or Starrcade 2001, they will have to pin or submit their own brother and tag-team partner.

They start trading blows and the match soon turns into a heavy-hitting clash with brother pitted against brother. It's a fairly even match with Stevie Ray getting in a decent amount of offence, but as the match goes on it's clear that there is only one brother that is going to win this match.

After over 7 minutes with Stevie Ray looking worse for wear, Booker kicks Stevie in the mid-section, says sorry, then nails him with a Scissor Kick to get the win.

Booker T wins via pinfall - (7.29) - (79 rated) 

---

After the match Booker T shakes Stevie Ray's hand and gives him a hug

---

1. Wildcard 1
2. Wildcard 2
3. Billy Kidman
4. Booker T
5. Shawn Stasiak
6. Terry Funk
7. Tommy Dreamer

---

April Hunter interview with 'The Natural' Dustin Rhodes

We see Dustin Rhodes, who has a few cuts, bruises and bandages after the loss he suffered at Halloween Havoc to Scott Hall. He doesn't look 100 percent.

April Hunter says Dustin, we're all so pleased to see you back on Nitro after your loss to Scott Hall at Halloween Havoc in Texas. Do you have anything you'd like to say regarding the controversial finish to that match?

Dustin says "I said I would never say I Quit... and by the grace of God, I didn't. I don't know what happened with The Sandman, Shane McMahon and Scott Hall... but I do know that I had Scott Hall beat... that career-defining moment... that World title... was in my grasp... and it got taken away from me..."

April Hunter says well at least tonight you have a chance to right that wrong. You have your House of Cards Qualifier match tonight and if you win that you will get a chance at House of Cards to book your spot in the main-event of Starrcade 2001! 

Dustin replies "If I have to get to the main-event of Starrcade 2001 the hard way... then so be it... I've had to work for everything I've got in this business... in this company... I'll qualify tonight and then every man in that House of Cards Match has to understand that if you stand in my way on MY Journey to Starrcade... then you

Shawn Stasiak suddenly comes into shot with Mark Jindrak behind him

Shawn Stasiak says "Dustin... Dustin... let me stop you there, pal."

Dustin Rhodes looks angry but lets Shawn Stasiak talk 

Shawn continues... "You talk about how hard you had to work to get anywhere in this business... when you say that, you take a piss on every one of the boys in the back who didn't have a Father who was one of the biggest stars in this industry... in this company... who helped get you your spot in this business. So let me tell you something Dustin. You want to talk about every man in that House of Cards Match standing in your way on YOUR Journey to Starrcade 2001... well Dustin, I'm in that match and if you want to get to Starrcade you gotta get through me first!" 

The segment ends with Shawn Stasiak and Dustin Rhodes squaring up

Tony Schiavone says he doesn't think Shawn Stasiak has forgotten about his feud and loss to Dustin Rhodes... I think he's still got a score to settle!

Freestyle segment with April Hunter, Dustin Rhodes and Shawn Stasiak - (67 rated) 

----

'Sinister' James Mitchell & Akira Hokuto promo

We come back to find 'Sinister' James Mitchell at the top of the entrance ramp with Akira Hokuto who has her WCW World Women's Championship belt. 

In the ring we see two young female rookies seemingly waiting for a match.

Akira Hokuto speaks on the mic in Japanese for a little bit

'Sinister' James Mitchell then translates

Mitchell says that "Akira Hokuto and I have had a of people questioning our involvement in a match on Friday Night Panic! that saw Chyna miss out on a shot at Akira Hokuto's title. But let us put the record straight and say whilst Chigusa Nagoya was an honoured guest of ours on Panic!, we had absolutely no involvement in her decision to get involved in that match... we were simply horrified by that development" 

Mitchell then says "When Akira Hokuto was booked for a tag-team match tonight against two of Pittsburgh's "finest" women's wrestlers... we had to find a tag-team partner at short notice... and to our good fortune there was someone in the area who could help us out at short notice..."

GAEA Japan: Chigusa Nagayo 2nd Theme - Brave Heart (youtube.com)

We see Chigusa Nagoya come out and stand next to Akira Hokuto looking menacing.

Mitchell then says now you will see 2 of the best Japanese women's wrestlers show these two American girls with a dream what happens when you step into the ring with them.

Freestyle segment with 'Sinister' James Mitchell, Akira Hokuto and Chigusa Nagoya - (38 rated) 

---

Match 3: 

Akira Hokuto & Chigusa Nagoya vs Becky Bayless & Miss Kara Slice (local talents)

This is a squash match with Chigusa Nagoya absolutely dominating both Bayless and Slice for most of the match. 

Towards the end of the match at Hokuto's request, Nagoya tags in her partner, the WCW World Women's Champion. 

Akira Hokuto toys with Becky Bayless a little bit, before putting her in a Chokehold and choking her out for the win. 

Akira Hokuto & Chigusa Nagoya win via submission - (4.47) - (26 rated) 

----

After the match 'Sinister' James Mitchell says WCW is the home of Women's wrestling, but as you can see... it is Japan that is the true home of the best Women's talent! No American woman can live with the talent of Japan!

In the ring, Akira Hokuto stands by as Chigusa Nagoya begins to stomp on Becky Bayless. Kara Slice gets into the ring to help her partner but Nagoya destroys her with a clothesline.

We cut to the entrance of the building where we see Chyna trying to fight past security guards to get into the building!

That's Chyna! says Schiavone. She's trying to get in and get revenge on Hokuto and Nagoya, but she's still banned from Nitro! 

Mitchell laughs as Chigusa Nagoya continues to beat the local talent with both women now on the floor.

But wait!

Suddenly we see Malia Hosaka and Torrie Wilson both run from the locker-room. They come out and Akira Hokuto bails from the ring. Chigusa Nagoya stands her ground and tries to fight off both women, but after taking a drop-kick from Malia Hosaka she bails too and stands outside with Hokuto and Mitchell who angrily shouts at Hosaka and Wilson.

Malia Hosaka and Torrie Wilson then lock eyes.

Well folks, says Tony Schiavone, they've teamed up tonight to save these young girls, but on Friday Night Panic! Malia Hosaka and Torrie Wilson will face off against each other and the winner will get to face Akira Hokuto for that WCW World Women's Championship at House of Cards! 

Freestyle segment with Akira Hokuto, 'Sinister' James Mitchell, Chyna, Chigusa Nagoya, Malia Hosaka & Torrie Wilson - (41 rated) 

---

JJ Dillon interview with Booker T

JJ Dillon asks Booker T what it feels like to have qualified for House of Cards

Booker T says it's bittersweet for me JJ cause I had to put Stevie out of it to make it. But I can only beat what's in-front of me and whether it's my worst enemy or my best friend in the world, my brother Stevie, I can't stop at nothing to get back my WCW World Heavyweight Championship! 

JJ says now that you have qualified for House of Cards how do you prepare for a match like that?

Booker T says JJ you can't prepare for a match like that... but what I will say is that I'm ready to beat anybody. If I come in entrant number 1 and I gotta throw out 19 other guys to win it... that's what I'll do, man. I don't care who you are... there ain't nobody in that match that can go toe to toe with Booker T! 

Rob Van Dam walks into set to a big pop

Van Dam congratulates Booker on qualifying for House of Cards, Booker thanks him.

Rob Van Dam says you know I respect the hell out of you Book, but I couldn't help hear you say there ain't nobody in that match that can go toe to toe with Booker T

That's what I said, Booker replies

Van Dam says well after tonight's main-event, when I beat Buff Bagwell, and I qualify for that match, there will be at least  man who can go toe to toe with Booker T. You know who that is, Book?

Booker T says "who?" 

Rob Van Dam then does his pose and we hear the fans chant along... ROB...VAN....DAM

Van Dam smiles and walks off

Booker T says "tell me he didn't just say THAT!" 

Freestyle segment with JJ Dillon, Booker T and Rob Van Dam - (100 rated) 

----

Match 4:

House of Cards Qualifying Match 6 of 18: Lance Storm (with Mike Awesome & Carl Ouellet) vs Road Warrior Dog (with Road Warrior Animal) 

Lance Storm WCW Titantron - "Team Canada" (youtube.com)

We see Lance Storm come out with Mike Awesome and Carl Ouellet in support.

Road Warriors Theme Song (youtube.com)

We see Road Warrior Dog come out with Road Warrior Animal. 

Well folks, says Tony Schiavone, last week we saw Road Warrior Animal come out alone against Tommy Dreamer in a qualifying match that he lost. It seems tonight Road Warrior Dog is looking for a bit of back up given Lance Storm has not 1 but 2 men out here in support of him.

A wise choice I think, says Jerry Lawler.

Arn Anderson explains how last time these two guys met 1 on 1 it was Road Warrrior Dog who got the win, with Lance Storm looking for revenge and the chance to headline Starrcade 2001 with a spot in the House of Cards match tonight

This match goes just over 6 minutes and is a really great technical wrestling match. Lance Storm puts on a real show of how good he is in the ring, but BG James is no slouch either and showcases what he can do in the ring too. 

Awesome and Ouellet try to interfere at various points, but eventually after Road Warrior Animal snaps at them the referee actually ejects Animal, Awesome and Ouellet and it's left for a few minutes with Storm and Dog to fight it out alone.

Road Warrior Dog very nearly gets another win against Lance Storm as he rolls him up against the run of play towards the end of the match, but this time Lance Storm manages to kick out at the last moment. This fires up storm who manages to hit a German Suplex on BG James, before putting him in the Canadian Maple Leaf submission.

Road Warrior Dog really looks like he might break out of the submission or reach the rope and puts on a good showing, but in the end he is left with no choice but to tap out.

Lance Storm wins via submission - (6.16) - (79 rated) 

----

Team Canada celebrate after the match as Road Warrior Animal saves Road Warrior Dog from any further damage from Storm and co.

----

1. Wildcard 1
2. Wildcard 2
3. Billy Kidman
4. Booker T
5. Lance Storm
6. Shawn Stasiak
7. Terry Funk
8. Tommy Dreamer

----

Sable / Bischoff backstage

We see Sable in a shouting match with Eric Bischoff

Sable says "how DARE you book Chigusa Nagoya in a match after what she did on Panic last week! The Women's division is NOT in your command, Bischoff!" 

Eric Bischoff says he didn't book any match. Sable booked a match for Hokuto to tag against the local girls and told her to find a partner. All Bischoff did was allow Nagoya the right to be in the building as a talent, as is HIS right as WCW General Manager!" 

The Head of Talent Relations, Ricky Steamboat breaks up the argument but it is clear that Sable and Bischoff's feud is not over yet. 

Freestyle segment with Eric Bischoff, Sable and Ricky Steamboat - (55 rated) 

----

JJ Dillon interview with The Nu Road Warriors

We see Road Warrior Dog looking tired after his match, as Road Warrior Animal helps hold his partner up.

JJ says "Well guys, two tough matches in consecutive matches has seen both of you guys fail to qualify for the House of Cards Match in Vegas... is that loss tonight tough to take, Dog? 

Road Warrior Dog says he gave it 100 percent and Lance Storm beat him. It happens. Last time he beat him. This is the wrestling business, it's how it goes, it hurts but I'll pick myself back up and we'll go again, JJ!

Sean O'Haire and Chuck Palumbo come into the interview

Sean O'Haire laughs and says "Well I didn't expect either of you guys to qualify for House of Cards... and here we are. Given that you took those WCW World Tag Team Championship belts from us unfairly... I'd say this is just Karma..."

Road Warrior Animal gets angry and says "If you wanna see some Karma... how about I put my fist through your jaw!" 

Chuck Palumbo gets in front of him and stands toe to toe with Animal.

Sean O'Haire pulls him back and laughs

Sean O'Haire says "easy, Chuck, easy. I'd love to fight you tonight Animal, but I just got the news that this Friday Night on Panic! I will be in the Main Event as I have my House of Cards Qualifying match against Curt Hennig. Once I knock that past-it old-timer out of contention and book my ticket to Vegas, then maybe we can have a match, Animal!" 

Freestyle segment with The Nu Road Warriors and Sean O'Haire & Chuck Palumbo - (54 rated) 

----

"The Natural"- Dustin Rhodes AEW Entrance Theme | AEW Music (youtube.com)

We see Dustin Rhodes come out looking pumped up for his match which will be a House of Cards Qualifying match.

Rhodes is clearly banged up still from Halloween Havoc but you can see the fire in his eyes to right the wrong that happened to him in Texas.

The announcers speculate who his opponent might be as Dustin waits in the ring

Oh my! says Tony Schiavone

Buff Daddy V walks out 

It's a mountain of a task for Dustin Rhodes tonight, says Arn Anderson, as he has to face the damn near man-mountain Buff Daddy V!

Buff Bagwell comes with V to the entrance ramp but then tells him to go do it alone, possibly because Bagwell wants to prepare for the main-event against Rob Van Dam in what is his own qualifier for House of Cards.

----

Match 5: 

House of Cards Qualifying Match 7 of 18: Buff Daddy V vs 'The Natural' Dustin Rhodes

We see Buff Daddy V square off against Dustin Rhodes. 

Look at the size of Buff Daddy V! says Arn Anderson. If he does qualify for House of Cards, it might take all of the other 19 guys working together to dump this guy over the top ropes and out the match!

This is a pretty even match with Buff Daddy V getting in a decent amount of offence on the battered and bruised Dustin Rhodes. Dustin is the underdog throughout the match in terms of trying to get the win, but right towards the end of it he launches a hot comeback which the fans are completely behind.

He drops down and hits the uppercut to Buff Daddy V before hitting a Final Cut on Buff Daddy V to get the win.

Dustin Rhodes wins via pinfall - (5.39) - (75 rated) 

---

After the match an exhausted and emotional Dustin Rhodes has his arm held in victory by the referee as the fans cheer

---

1. Wildcard 1
2. Wildcard 2
3. Billy Kidman
4. Booker T
5. 'The Natural' Dustin Rhodes
6. Lance Storm
7. Shawn Stasiak
8. Terry Funk
9. Tommy Dreamer

----

Latino Inferno segment

We see Chavo Guerrero Jr and Disco Inferno at a Club

Disco Inferno is hyped up saying this is the start of something special Chavo, baby, we're going to dance our way to the top of the tag-team division and take home Tag Team Gold! 

Chavo Guerrero Jr says it's early days yet Ese, but it sure would be nice to get some Gold. But tonight it's time to get some ladies!

We see them go in the club dancing and chatting to lots of women

Freestyle segment with Latino Inferno - (45 rated) 

----

Fit's Fight Club and Sons of the South backstage drama

We see Fit Finlay and Dave Taylor backstage with Tajiri hyping him up ahead of the next match near the Gorilla position

Fit Finlay is saying Tajiri has got this. He came up just short in the Cruiserweight Classic Final, but he can take Brian Lawler tonight.

We then see 'Sexy' Brian Lawler roll up with David Flair and Erik Watts. Things are getting lively with Erik Watts and David Flair squaring up with Finlay and Taylor.

Shane McMahon comes over and says he won't have a repeat of the chaos in the Storm and Dog match. Shane says for this match everyone is banned from ringside!

Watts and Flair especially protest this but Shane waves them away

Freestyle segment with Shane McMahon, Fit's Fight Club and The Sons of the South - (58 rated) 

----

Match 6: 

'Sexy' Brian Lawler vs Tajiri - The winner will face Juventud Guerrera for the WCW World Cruiserweight Championship at House of Cards

I'm Too Sexy (youtube.com)

Lawler comes out looking confident. 

Arn Anderson asks if 'Sexy Brian's tactics for this match may have involved Watts and Flair. Jerry Lawler says he doesn't know, but what he does know if Brian has his work cut out for him against Tajiri!

WWE Tajiri 1st Theme "Imperial City" (HQ) (youtube.com)

Tajiri comes out looking focused. 

This is a hard hitting match that goes just over 5 minutes. Without any shenanigans at ringside it focuses more on the wrestling and technical aspects, which despite Lawler's best efforts he's just not on the same level as Tajiri.

Lawler tries every dirty trick in the book to try and score a win and get another shot at Juventud, who he beat in the Cruiserweight Classic, but Tajiri is too strong for him. 

The end of the match comes after Lawler has tried to cheat to get the win. He rolls Tajiri up and holds the ropes, but Tajiri manages to wiggle himself out of the pinfall, spit Green Mist into Lawler's eyes, then hit him with a Buzzsaw Kick to get the win.

Tajiri wins via pinfall - (5.31) - (63 rated) 

---

After the match Fit Finlay and Dave Taylor storm the ring to celebrate and hoist Tajiri up as it will be him he will face Juventud Guerrera for the WCW World Cruiserweight Championship at House of Cards

---

Kanyon promo

We see Chris Kanyon back-stage cutting a promo

Kanyon says last week he made his first defence of the WCW United States Championship when he defeated Carl Ouellet. Kanyon says he wants to be a fighting champion, he doesn't just want to defend this belt on PPV, he wants to defend it on TV too, so with that in mind next week he's offering an open challenge on Nitro. Anybody who wants to step up and face him can get their shot!

Buff Bagwell comes into set laughing

Buff Bagwell says Kanyon is a fool for wanting to defend that WCW United States Championship on TV. Bagwell says if he had that belt he'd only ever defend it on PPV as he's a prize fighter.

Buff Bagwell says he's a man of his word though. Bagwell says in tonight's main event he will beat Rob Van Dam to qualify for the House of Cards Match in Las Vegas, then just maybe he'll answer Kanyon's challenge and go into House of Cards as the WCW United States Champion, before he becomes a double champion, winning the House of Cards Match and then the WCW World Heavyweight Championship at Starrcade 2001!

Kanyon says Oh yeah, Bagwell? I'd sure like to see that! 

Bagwell says if you stayed tuned into Nitro, Chris, then you will see my first step on the Journey to Starrcade! 

Freestyle segment with Kanyon & Buff Bagwell - (58 rated) 

----

Match 7: 

Diamond Dallas Page vs Jason Jett

We hear Scott Hall's entrance theme and the WCW World Heavyweight Champion comes out in a suit with his title as he swaggers his way to the announce desk to be on commentary for this match.

Scott Hall says Oh hey yo fellas, don't mind me I'm just scouting the competition...

WCW Jason Jett 2nd Theme - "Jason Jett Theme" (Rec.) (youtube.com)

Jason Jett comes out looking hyped up for a chance to prove himself

DDP comes out to a big pop and looks delighted with it. 

Jason Jett surprisingly has a decent showing in this match. What might have looked like a squash match on the face of it turns out to be a match where Jett looks kind of good at various points.

Perhaps DDP is a bit distracted by Scott Hall's presence on commentary, but he makes a few small errors in the match that let Jett back into it when he should be down and out.

The end of the match comes out of nowhere though as just when it looks like Jett is on top he gets caught with a Diamond Cutter and DDP gets the win.

DDP wins via pinfall - (6.14) - (75 rated) 

---

Scott Hall promo

After the match Scott Hall stands at the top of the entrance ramp with a mic. 

The Bad Guy starts off by clapping DDP. 

Hall says "Hey yo Dallas, well done, well done. But if you're willing to take some advice from an old friend... let me tell you something I noticed during this match. You ain't as agile as you used to be. You ain't as mobile either. Perhaps you should start Yoga or something, I don't know. But when you get in the ring with me, you ain't gonna be able to get away with some of those mistakes cause I punch harder than that vanilla midget, you better believe that."

DDP has a mic now and he says "How about we test just how hard you punch right now, Scott, my old pal? Why don't you come down to this ring and give the fine people of Pittsburgh just what they want!" 

Scott Hall laughs and says "I know your game, Page, and I ain't falling for it. I'll get in the ring with you on my own terms... until then... I'll see you in Vegas!" 

Hall walks off as DDP looks annoyed at not getting the chance to take out some frustration on him.

Freestyle segment with Scott Hall & DDP - (94 rated) 

----

Steve Corino promo

We see Steve Corino cutting a pre-recorded promo with Don Callis in the background

Corino says this Friday Night on Panic! the Steve Corino Open Challenge is put on ice... because I have a Qualifying match for House of Cards... 

Don Callis says Dave Taylor! Your pal Fit Finlay can tell you all about what it is like to step in the ring with Steve Corino. After he's finished with you Friday, you might just have to hang up your boots and become a full-time road agent, pal. 

Steve Corino says on Friday Night he books himself a spot in the House of Cards match in Las Vegas... and then the whole locker-room will be on notice... because he doesn't care who he has to hurt... his Journey to Starrcade will see him win the WCW World Heavyweight Championship in Miami, Florida when all is said and done!

Freestyle segment with Steve Corino and Don Callis (54 rated) 

----

Match 8 / Main Event: 

House of Cards Qualifying Match 8 of 18: Buff Bagwell vs Rob Van Dam

Tony Schiavone on commentary says excitedly it is now time for our main event... for the first time ever... Buff Bagwell will take on Rob Van Dam! 

Buff Bagwell comes out looking confident and up for it. The announcers mention how Buff Daddy V is nowhere to be seen, perhaps he's recovering from his loss to Dustin Rhodes earlier in the show

WWE Rob Van Dam 1st Theme "Van Daminator" (HQ) (youtube.com)

RVD comes out to a huge pop from the crowd which seems to annoy Bagwell

This is a great match that goes just under 7 minutes in the main-event of the show. Both guys put in an impressive display with even Buff Bagwell looking pretty good proving that Van Dam really can work with anyone!

It's an even match with Van Dam shining in the ring but Bagwell still competitive in the match.

The end of the match comes when Bagwell seemingly deliberately ensures Van Dam collides with the referee which takes Charles Robinson out. 

Buff Daddy V is then seen strolling out to the ring with a steel chair in hand.

I don't like the look of this guys! says Tony Schiavone.

But wait!

Kanyon (youtube.com)

The WCW United States Champion, Kanyon, comes rushing out the back unarmed to prevent Buff Daddy V from interfering. V swings the chair at Kanyon, but Kanyon gets in quick and manages to spear him into the side of the ring. V drops the chair and then Kanyon hits a DDT on the floor to him. 

Bagwell in the ring is furious! 

Van Dam is back to his feet and hits Bagwell with a Spinning Heel Kick.

Van Dam then climbs the top rope and hits the FIVE STAR FROG SPLASH!! 

RVD covers Bagwell and he gets the big win! 

Rob Van Dam wins via pinfall - (6.45) - (81 rated) 

---

The show ends with Rob Van Dam celebrating, as Kanyon smiles seeing a defeated Buff Bagwell who tried to cheat to win!

---

1. Wildcard 1
2. Wildcard 2
3. Billy Kidman
4. Booker T
6. Lance Storm
7. Rob Van Dam
8. Shawn Stasiak
9. Terry Funk
10. Tommy Dreamer

----

Show Rating: 86
0.94 TV rating (710K viewers)

• Like 1

Friday Night Panic! Episode 15: 

Friday 09 November 2001

Live late-night on FX

9,136 crowd from Jersey City, New Jersey

Fat Lip (youtube.com)

Joey Styles kicks the show by welcoming fans to WCW Friday Night Panic! LIVE from New Jersey!

What a show we've got for you tonight says Scott Hudson! In our main event tonight we have a massive House of Cards qualifying match, with one of our top stars in WCW, Curt Hennig, taking on one of the potential stars of the future in Sean O'Haire!

Joey Styles says "Plus we've also got a #1 Contender match for the WCW World Women's Championship as Torrie Wilson takes on Malia Hosaka, with the winner going straight to House of Cards to face Akira Hokuto for that title. And we'll also see Expressly American in Tag-Team action, plus tonight EXCLUSIVELY on Panic! I have spoken to my good pal, The Sandman, once again to get his response to Shane McMahon's latest comments from Nitro about the ongoing controversy about Halloween Havoc." 

Stevie Ray then says "and the fine people of Jersey we got good news for you tonight as I can confirm you will hear from your boy, Diamond Dallas Page, the #1 contender for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship... he's in the house tonight!" 

"That's right, Stevie!" says Scott Hudson. "But kicking us off tonight we've got another House of Cards qualifying match... it will be the WCW FXtreme Television Champion, Steve Corino, taking on Fit Fight Club's Dave Taylor for a spot in Vegas!

----

Match 1: 

House of Cards Qualifying Match 9 of 18: Dave Taylor (with Fit Finlay) vs Steve Corino (with Don Callis) 

Finlay's 2006 v2 Titantron Entrance Video feat. "Lambeg v2" Theme [HD] (youtube.com)

We see Dave Taylor coming out with Fit Finlay. The announcers hype up how they're sure Fit Finlay will be hoping that Dave Taylor can avenge his loss at Halloween Havoc to Steve Corino tonight. 

Steve Corino comes out with Don Callis not far behind him.

Don Callis has a microphone and he says "Excuse me, New Jersey, my client has something he'd like to say." 

Fans boo

Steve Corino grabs a mic and says "Just in-case it wasn't obvious. I'm not putting my WCW FXtreme Television Championship on the line tonight... because not only do the people of New Jersey not deserve to see a title defence (fans boo), but Dave Taylor, you don't deserve a title shot! You need to take your battered up old body and your crooked, disgusting English teeth, get out of by ring and hang your boots up whilst you're at it!" 

By this point Steve Corino has got to the ring. 

He gets into the ring with the mic with Dave Taylor glaring at him.

Steve Corino then says "You see Dave Taylor... you and Fit Finlay are much-

The fans cheer as before Corino can finish his sentence Dave Taylor punches him square in the jaw! Corino drops the mic and Taylor starts jabbing left, right as the bell rings and the match begins!

The fans seem solidly behind Taylor after Corino's cheap shots against them on the mic and Taylor uses that crowd energy to boost himself early on in the match.

Corino eventually recovers though and the match turns into more of a technical based match which suits both of their styles.

Corino comes into his own as the match goes on though and despite Finlay's encouragement at ringside, Taylor drifts out of control and the vicious Corino starts to dominate.

Steve Corino eventually gets the win with an Old School Expulsion

Steve Corino wins via pinfall - (5.43) - (61 rated) 

After the match we see Steve Corino celebrate with Don Callis as Finlay checks on his fallen friend

----

1. Wildcard 1
2. Wildcard 2
3. Billy Kidman
4. Booker T
6. Lance Storm
7. Rob Van Dam
8. Shawn Stasiak
9. Steve Corino
10. Terry Funk
11. Tommy Dreamer

----

Joey Styles interview with The Sandman

When we come back from break we see Joey Styles on the mic looking happy with himself

Joey Styles says well folks I spoke to my good pal and friend The Sandman once again to get hi stake on what Shane McMahon said this past week on Nitro... roll the tape!

We see footage of The Sandman and Joey Styles in a random bar. The Sandman is smoking and drinking.

Joey Styles says well Sandman, this past week Shane McMahon stated that you were lying when you said he offered you a WCW contract, that you're bitter you never got hired in WCW and also that if you ever decide to show up on Nitro or a PPV event again then he will "gladly" give you the beating of a life-time! How do you respond to that?

The Sandman laughs

"Look Joey," says The Sandman. "If Shane wants to lie about offering me a contract or think I turned him down 'cause I was bitter... then so be it. He knows I didn't sign that contract 'cause he didn't offer me enough money... he offered an insulting amount to a guy like me, Joey, even you're probably earning more than that." 

Joey Styles looks a bit annoyed

"But Joey," The Sandman continues. "When Shane says if I ever show up on Nitro or a PPV event again that he will give me the beating of a life-time... I don't know who he's saying that to. Is he saying that to make himself feel like a tough guy? Does he think the fans or the boys in the back think that's true? 'Cause I'm telling you they ain't thinking that, Joey. They're thinking here's another McMahon who thinks he's a tough guy... but the fact of the matter is Shane... you're a little Nepo bitch with Daddy issues desperate to try and get the attention and love of a man who wishes Triple H was his real first born son!" 

Fans pop at this a bit as the segment ends with The Sandman smoking some more

Freestyle segment with Joey Styles and The Sandman - (59 rated) 

-----

Torrie Wilson / Malia Hosaka promo

In a pre-recorded promo we first see Torrie Wilson with Billy Kidman just behind her

Torrie Wilson says since she started getting in the ring she knows a lot of people think she's just a pretty face and can't hang. But she wants to prove that she's not just here to make up the numbers. She's here to compete at the highest level. She vows to beat Malia Hosaka and then get her shot against Akira Hokuto at House of Cards

Malia Hosaka says she's not here in WCW to take part, she's here to take over. Malia says she's going to put Hawaii on the map for women's wrestling when she beats Torrie Wilson tonight and then goes on to take Akira Hokuto's title from her at House of Cards and walk into Starrcade 2001 as the WCW Women's World Champion!

Freestyle segment with Torrie Wilson & Malia Hosaka - (35 rated) 

----

Match 2: 

Malia Hosaka (with Terry Taylor) vs Torrie Wilson (with Billy Kidman) - The winner will face Akira Hokuto for the WCW World Women's Championship at House of Cards 

Malia Hosaka 4th - Mega Panic (WCW Official Theme) (youtube.com)

Malia Hosaka comes out looking focused for the match tonight

Torrie Wilson - Need A Little Time (Official Theme) (youtube.com)

Torrie Wilson looks nervous but she has Billy Kidman at her side to reassure her

This match goes just under 5 minutes. Malia Hosaka mostly carries the match with Torrie Wilson still quite green and only making this match through luck more than anything else. 

As the match goes on Torrie Wilson makes a few mistakes which Malia Hosaka ruthlessly punishes. The end of the match comes when Malia Hosaka puts Wilson in a Figure-Four Leglock and makes her tap out. 

Malia Hosaka wins via submission - (4.32) - (33 rated) 

---

Akira Hokuto & Chigusa Nagoya run-in

After the match it seems like Malia Hosaka offers a handshake to Wilson.

But just as this happens we see Akira Hokuto and Chigusa Nagoya come out from the entrance ramp! 

Hokuto and Nagoya seem intent on getting some revenge on Wilson and Hosaka from last week on Nitro. 

Hokuto and Nagoya start beating down the tired Hosaka and Wilson when...

IT'S CHYNA! exclaims Scott Hudson

Chyna comes flying out the back and Akira Hokuto and Chigusa Nagoya quickly take flight and get out of the ring

Chyna is shouting at them and demanding they come back to fight her but they are long gone through the crowd

Freestyle segment with Torrie Wilson, Malia Hosaka, Akira Hokuto, Chigusa Nagoya and Chyna - (47 rated) 

---

Kanyon / Bagwell promo

We see a recorded promo package featuring Buff Bagwell and Kanyon

Buff Bagwell says this past week on Nitro the WCW United States Champion, Kanyon, made an enemy out of him. Buff Bagwell says he is not an enemy that any man in WCW wants to have. Buff says that Kanyon coming out in his match with Rob Van Dam cost him not only that match but also a spot in the WCW House of Cards match in Vegas!

Kanyon smirks and says he was just evening the odds. Kanyon says if Buff Bagwell has a problem with me... well I've put an open challenge to the WCW United States Championship next week... he said he'd beat Rob Van Dam then come and take my title from me... well he didn't beat Van Dam but he's still got that shot at me if he wants... Buff... I'll be there next week on Nitro... and WHO BETTER THAN KANYON to wipe that smug smile off your face! 

Freestyle segment with Buff Bagwell and Kanyon - (66 rated) 

----

April Hunter interview with Expressly American

We see April Hunter standing by with Expressly American (Barry Windham & Mike Rotunda)

April Hunter says Expressly American, you're in tag-team action tonight and then next week you will both compete in qualifiers for the House of Cards match in Vegas, how do you keep focused going from tag-team to singles competition like that?

Barry Windham says well April that's a great question. You see at our age it's easier to tag-team than ever I would say, when you get a bit gassed you got your partner to tag in, that ain't possible in a singles match, but look, we're both big dreamers and we both dream about qualifying for House of Cards and booking our ticket to the main event of Starrcade just like anybody else!

Sean O'Haire & Chuck Palumbo walk into set

Sean O'Haire says in-case you think we've forgotten about our problems with you boys... we haven't... and I don't think I'm telling you anything you don't already know

Mike Rotunda tells O'Haire to shut it. Rotunda says what he knows is that their boy Curt Hennig is going to whoop your ass in New Jersey tonight and make sure you aren't in that House of Cards match! 

O'Haire and Palumbo look like they may come to blows with Expressly American, but cooler heads prevail and O'Haire & Palumbo smile and walk off.

Freestyle segment with April Hunter, Expressly American and O'Haire & Palumbo - (45 rated) 

---

Match 3: 

Expressly American (Barry Windham & Mike Rotunda) vs Jung Dragons (Kaz Hayashi & Jimmy Yang)

The Jung Dragons - Theme (youtube.com)

Jung Dragons come to the ring looking focused to try and get a win against the odds here. 

WWF US Express "Born In the USA" Theme (youtube.com)

Expressly American come out to a decent pop carrying their American flags to the ring

Jung Dragons get in a decent amount of offence early on in the match, but as the match goes on the bigger and more experienced guys take control of the match.

The end of the match comes when Barry Windham hits a vicious Lariat to Jimmy Yang

Expressly American wins via pinfall - (6.19) - (53 rated) 

After the match we see Expressly American celebrate waving the U.S flags

---

DDP promo

After we come back from break we see New Jersey native, DDP, the #1 Contender to Scott Hall's WCW World Heavyweight Championship come out to a huge pop

He gets in the ring with a big smile on his face

DDP takes it in and then says he's so glad to be in New Jersey! 

DDP says he wants to thank everyone in his home state for their support over the years. They've been through highs and lows and highs and lows but at House of Cards we'll see one of the biggest highs in my career as I take that Big Gold Belt from The Bad Guy and I walk into Starrcade 2001 as a New Jersey boy done good with that WCW World Heavyweight Championship round my waist!

Fans cheer

Fans boo as we hear Scott Hall's music

DDP is right at the side of the ring facing the entrance ramp. DDP is shouting towards the entrance ramp willing Scott Hall to come out and fight him.

He's behind you, Dallas! exclaims Stevie Ray, as we see Scott Hall sneak into the ring from the other side having seemingly come in through the crowd.

DDP doesn't see him!

Scott Hall holds up the WCW World Heavyweight Championship and readies himself

The fans shout to DDP to warn him, DDP turns around and BANG! Scott Hall absolutely clatters DDP with the WCW World Heavyweight Championship belt and leaves him laying in a heal on the floor.

Scott Hall takes the microphone that DDP was using

Scott Hall says "Hey yo, New Jersey!" 

Fans boo

Scott Hall says he thought he'd do a bit of public service to the people of Georgia by coming out tonight and giving them the only chance they'll ever get to see DDP with the WCW World Heavyweight Championship again

The camera cuts to DDP who we can now see is bleeding from his face

Scott Hall lays the Big Gold Belt on top of DDP

Scott Hall says "This belt weighs heavy. I've held this belt for 110 days now... and I don't plan to give it up any time soon!"

Scott Hall picks up his belt from DDP who is still down and covered in blood.

Scott Hall ends the segment saying "What DDP forgot was that Good Times don't last, but Bad Guys do! At House of Cards, Dallas Page is gambling with his credibility at the top level. Once he loses to me... and he WILL lose to me... he's finished at the top level in this business. Doesn't matter whether it's in WCW, New York, Japan... you're getting old Page... you know people say I'm old but you're 2 years older than even me damn it! You're done old man!" 

DDP seems to have come to his senses and gets mad at this last remark

DDP somehow manages to stumble to his feet and is ready to fight Scott Hall, but The Bad Guy nails him with a Big Boot! 

The segment ends with Scott Hall standing tall as the home-town boy lays in a pile of his own blood

Freestyle segment with Scott Hall & DDP - (95 rated) 

---

Match 4 / Main Event

House of Cards Qualifying Match 9 of 18: Curt Hennig vs Sean O'Haire (with Chuck Palumbo)

Well folks, says Scott Hudson, in our main-event tonight it's a big match with House of Cards implications at stake here, either Curt Hennig or Sean O'Haire will get a shot at the ultimate glory if they can qualify and win the inaugural House of Cards match in Las Vegas, Nevada

Curt Hennig 2nd WCW Theme Alternate Version (youtube.com)

Hudson says Curt Hennig has talked about it being his dream to win that Big Gold Belt. He's never won it before. He's been AWA Heavyweight Champion but he's never won the big title in  WCW or WWF... he came so close to dethroning Scott Hall in a Cage match a few months ago... if he wins tonight it could be the first step in his Journey to Starrcade 2001!

Stevie Ray says you boys know I gotta back Booker at House of Cards... but if he can't win, if I had to pick any other cat to win that match... I'm backing Curt Hennig! 

WWE: Chuck Palumbo & Sean O'Haire Theme "Freestyle Hombre" Download (youtube.com)

Sean O'Haire comes out looking confident with Chuck Palumbo following him

Scott Hudson questions how big an impact Palumbo may have on this match. Hudson also mentions that in recent weeks O'Haire has seemingly been trying to court the services of Stacy Keibler, will she be watching on somewhere in the back tonight?

This match goes just over 6 minutes. Despite the hype for the match it doesn't end up being particularly memorable. O'Haire and Hennig don't seem to have a massive amount of chemistry together which doesn't help things.

They both put in a decent technical display with Hennig carrying the match, but it's far from the excitement of many of the matches on Nitro this past week.

The end of the match comes when we see Stacy Keibler walk down the entrance ramp. 

This seems to distract both Curt Hennig and Sean O'Haire initially. 

Stacy Keibler then pulls up a chair and starts watching the match at ringside after putting on some glasses.

This seems to fire up Sean O'Haire who tries to wrap up the match and finish with some brutal looking kicks which Hennig struggles to deal with. 

Sean O'Haire puts Hennig up in the Widow Maker when he suddenly sees Road Warrior Dog who drives to ring on his moped. Dog parks up next to Stacy and starts chatting her up. Palumbo goes over to start talking to him and soon starts trading blows with Road Warrior Dog.

Within all this distraction O'Haire hasn't hit the Widow Maker and Hennig manages to get out of it. He counters O'Haire and hits a Perfect Plex putting O'Haire in a pinning predicament! 

1-2-3!

Hennig gets the win!

Curt Hennig wins via pinfall - (6.30) - (55 rated) 

---

After the match Sean O'Haire looks livid as Hennig celebrates the win. O'Haire on the ground looks towards Road Warrior Dog who has managed to run away to the top of the entrance ramp and looks very pleased with himself indeed and having cost O'Haire the match and a spot at House of Cards.

----

1. Wildcard 1
2. Wildcard 2
3. Billy Kidman
4. Booker T
5. Curt Hennig
6. 'The Natural' Dustin Rhodes
7. Lance Storm
8. Rob Van Dam
9. Shawn Stasiak
10. Steve Corino
11. Terry Funk
12. Tommy Dreamer

---

Show Rating: 72
0.83 TV rating (624K viewers)

Eddie Guerrero Promo [2001-03-25]

WWF and Eddie Guerrero part ways after failing to agree terms on a new deal

Eddie Guerrero, a former 1 time WWF Intercontinental champion and 2 time WWF European champion, has been released by the WWF after his contract with them expired. Guerrero broke his neck in a match with Chris Jericho on Smackdown in June of this year. Initially fans online said that not offering Eddie Guerrero a new contract whilst he's out with a broken neck is one of the worst things that Vince McMahon and the WWF have done, but we can exclusively reveal that WWF did offer Guerrero a new deal but he turned them down.

WWF offered to renew Guerrero's deal at slightly better terms than the initial contract he signed with them, but despite being out with a broken neck until at least July of 2002 next year, Guerrero is said to have demanded at least double what he was previously making with the company. 

A source within WWF stated "Vince just thought what Eddie was asking for was crazy. He had been getting a decent push since joining the WWF, but nobody knows what kind of condition he's going to be in after his broken neck. Vince likes him and even as a commentator or a road agent or TV personality it would certainly be worth keeping Eddie around, but he's had his demons so isn't super reliable at the best of times and Vince just felt what Eddie was asking for given the circumstances was crazy." 

Some speculate that Guerrero may have wanted to get released so he could create a bidding war for himself when he is fit and healthy again next year between WWF and WCW. 

WCW and Shane McMahon would've been delighted to pick-up Eddie Guerrero and bring him back to WCW, but it is thought that when Shane spoke to him Eddie was asking for crazy money on a 2 year deal. A source within WCW said "Eddie wanted like well over over $1M a year to sign with WCW. I could have maybe seen them paying that if he was fit and health if the WWF didn't, but on a 2 year deal where he's not even going to be fit and healthy for the first 9 months of that deal, you're basically paying him $1M for 3 months of work in the first year... Shane just thought the numbers didn't make any sense and he'd revisit it when Eddie was healthy again" 

I did plan to just renew Eddie with the WWF but when he was asking for such crazy numbers I thought it actually felt unrealistic to re-sign him on. Given he was actually released around this kind of time I thought it could make sense within the game to let him go and be a free agent whilst he recovered, then potentially if he will sign for them have him do a few Ring of Honor shows like he did in real life before joining either WWF or WCW later in the year in 2002.

• Like 1

Nitro Episode 29 of the Shane McMahon Era (Episode 317 including pre-Shane)

Wednesday 14 November 2001

Live late-night on FX

9,254 crowd from San Jose, California

Tony Schiavone on commentary says it's Wednesday night folks and you know what that means! It's WCW Nitro, LIVE from CALIFORNIA!

Jerry Lawler excitedly says that's right Tony, we're here in the Golden State and the Journey to Starrcade continues here in San Jose!

Tony Schiavone says that's right folks and boy do we have a show for you tonight! In our main-event, we will see a preview of what's to come at House of Cards in Las Vegas, Nevada, as we have a giant 6-man tag team main event pitching 6 of the men who have qualified for that match against each other, as the makeshift team of Booker T, Curt Hennig and 'The Natural' Dustin Rhodes collides with 1 half of the WCW World Tag Team Champions, Lance Storm, Shawn Stasiak and Tommy Dreamer!

Arn Anderson then says "And before that we've got several more House of Cards qualification matches, we will see the WCW World Women's Champion, Akira Hokuto in tag-team action, plus the WCW World Heavyweight Champion, Scott Hall, will be live in action tonight after the brutal beating he gave to his challenger DDP in New Jersey this past Friday on Panic!

Jerry Lawler says "And we'll also see the WCW United States Champion, Kanyon, issue an open challenge for his title which we suspect Buff Bagwell may well answer, plus we expect to hear more from our Chairman and CEO, Shane McMahon, on his ongoing war of words with The Sandman, plus Rob Van Dam & Billy Kidman, 2 other men who have qualified for House of Cards will also be in action later tonight, but kicking us off right now we've got our next House of Cards Qualification match!

-----

Match 1: 

House of Cards Qualifying Match 11 of 18: Axl Rotten (with Balls Mahoney) vs Mike Awesome (with Carl Ouellet)

ECW Hardcore Revolution Balls Manoney & Axl Rotten Theme PS1 (youtube.com)

We see Axl Rotten come out with his tag-team partner, Balls Mahoney, ahead of this match. 

A big opportunity for Rotten tonight! says Arn Anderson. 

WCW Mike Awesome Theme (Career Killer) (youtube.com)

Mike Awesome comes out with the WCW World Tag Team Championship. On commentary Tony Schiavone points out that if Mike Awesome does qualify, then given Lance Storm has already qualified too, the WCW World Tag Team Championship will not be defended at House of Cards. But if Awesome loses he could be forced to defend the title with Carl Ouellet instead of his usual partner Lance Storm.

This match is a heavy-hitting match to open the show with both guys getting in a lot of punches and big man moves. 

Axl Rotten looks like he's capable of taking a beating and coming out on top early on in the match, but Mike Awesome comes into his own as the match goes on and his superior agility and speed really give him the advantage.

Balls Mahoney tries to interfere but he eats a big punch with Awesome which sends him clattering to the outside. Mike Awesome then manages to hit an Awesome Bomb on Axl Rotten to secure the win.

Mike Awesome wins via pinfall - (5.33) - (75 rated) 

---

After the match we see Mike Awesome celebrate his victory, with Lance Storm coming out from the back to raise his hand also as the commentators confirm the WCW World Tag Team Championship will not be defended at House of Cards as a result of this.

---

1. Wildcard 1
2. Wildcard 2
3. Billy Kidman
4. Booker T
5. Curt Hennig
7. Lance Storm
8. Mike Awesome
9. Rob Van Dam
10. Shawn Stasiak
11. Steve Corino
12. Terry Funk
13. Tommy Dreamer

-----

JJ Dillon with Sean O'Haire & Chuck Palumbo

JJ says well guys we know you're one of the teams here in the WCW tag team division who are looking to get a shot at Team Canada for the titles. How do you react to the news now that the belts won't be defended at House of Cards?

Sean O'Haire says it's clearly a disgrace and shows the contempt that WCW execs have for tag-team wrestling. O'Haire says just because Team Canada qualified for the House of Cards match doesn't mean they should be exempt from defending the belts. They should at least have to defend those belts next week on Nitro. 

JJ Dillon asks Sean O'Haire if he would feel differently if he hadn't failed in his own bid to qualify for the House of Cards match

Sean O'Haire reacts badly to this, but Chuck Palumbo prevents him from getting too aggressive with JJ.

JJ then says Chuck Palumbo, of course you still have the chance to qualify for the House of Cards match and you're actually in action later tonight. We're not sure who your opponent is but what would you say to them ahead of that match?

Palumbo says he knows a lot of people think he's still green, that he's just a body guy, that he's not ready for a singles run in this company. Maybe that's true, but maybe I'll prove them all wrong! Maybe tonight I book my spot in the House of Cards match and silence the critics for good! 

Sean O'Haire then turns to the camera and says "Road Warrior Dog!! Don't think I've forgotten about what you did last week. You cost me my spot in that match and believe me, I am going to make you rue the day you messed with Sean O'Haire!" 

Freestyle segment with Sean O'Haire & Chuck Palumbo - (48 rated) 

----

Malia Hosaka & Torrie Wilson promo

We see Malia Hosaka & Torrie Wilson standing in the middle of the ring. Malia Hosaka has a microphone

Malia Hosaka says "This past Friday, Akira Hokuto and Chigusa Nagoya thought that they could come out and take liberties with us! I fought with Torrie for the right to take on Akira Hokuto at House of Cards, but even though Torrie lost to me I still respect her. I still see her as a kindred spirit trying to make her way in the Women's division here in WCW... that's a Women's division that I accept that Akira Hokuto has dominated since she got here... but if you think Akira, for one moment, that the Women of this division are going to stand by and let you and your new friend, Chigusa Nagoya, take liberties with us, jump us from behind or beat down young girls... well you've got another thing coming!" 

Torrie Wilson then has the mic. Torrie says "Akira! I've worked with Malia Hosaka for several months now and let me tell you something... if you think Malia is the "easy" opponent, or that you think House of Cards is just a foregone conclusion... well you're wrong! You under-estimate the women of this division... you think you're so much better than everyone else... but that arrogance doesn't work with us anymore... we've seen you LITERALLY running from Chyna since she arrived in WCW... we know you're scared of her... but you should be scared of US too! 

Akira Hokuto comes out with Chigusa Nagoya and 'Sinister' James Mitchell

Akira Hokuto says some angry words in Japanese as she holds the WCW World Women's Championship in the air

'Sinister' James Mitchell translates - "Akira says that if Chyna is so tough why doesn't she come and face her on Nitro? It's because she is scared of her.... As for Malia Hosaka… Malia! At House of Cards you think you're just gambling with the chance to win the WCW World Women's Championship... but when Akira chokes you out... you're gambling with your life! You requested this tag-team match with that lap dog Sable, who granted it... well right here, right now, after Akira Hokuto and Chigusa Nagoya are done with you ladies... you might not even make it to Vegas!

Freestyle segment with Malia Hosaka, Torrie Wilson, Akira Hokuto, Chigusa Nagoya & 'Sinister' James Mitchell - (45 rated)

----

Match 2: 

Akira Hokuto & Chigusa Nagoya (with 'Sinister' James Mitchell) vs Malia Hosaka & Torrie Wilson

Well folks this match is getting away right now! exclaims Tony Schiavone. We're told Malia and Torrie have come out with Terry Taylor and Billy Kidman their respective usual managers as they mean business and want to go it alone in this match!

Malia Hosaka and Torrie Wilson both come into this match with a lot of anger and want for revenge from last week's attack, which seems to catch Akira Hokuto off guard. She tags in the bigger Chigusa Nagoya who both Hosaka and Wilson seem to struggle to deal with.

Once they tire out Hokuto tags back in and toys with Torrie Wilson. But Torrie gets the hot tag to Malia Hosaka who comes in fighting and gets a few near falls on the WCW World Women's Champion.

The end of the match comes after Torrie and Chigusa get a hot tag. Nagoya manages to hit Wilson with a Spinning Sitdown Powerbomb, Hokuto intercepts Hosaka's attempts to break up the pin and Nagoya & Hokuto have the win after the referee counts 1-2-3!

Hokuto & Nagoya win via pinfall - (5.27) - (31 rated)

---

After the match Akira Hokuto celebrates holding up her WCW World Women's Championship as Malia Hosaka manages to pull Torrie Wilson out of the ring vowing revenge on Hokuto from the outside.

---

April Hunter with Booker T, Curt Hennig & Dustin Rhodes

April Hunter says well guys you're in a big 6-man tag team match in tonight's main event. It's set to be a preview of House of Cards, does this give you all a chance to show Lance Storm, Shawn Stasiak and Tommy Dreamer what they can expect from you in Vegas? 

Curt Hennig says first of all he wants to say how pleased he is to team with his good friend Booker T again. Booker T gives him a fist bump, as Dustin Rhodes groans.

Dustin Rhodes says the bottom line April is we're a team tonight, but at House of Cards it's every man for himself. I don't like Shawn Stasiak, I don't like Tommy Dreamer, I don't like Lance Storm, but at House of Cards, whether I like you or not, if you get in MY way as I look to avenge what happened to me in Texas... you're getting thrown over that top rope and out the match! 

Dustin then storms off

Booker T says "tell me he didn't just do that"

Curt Hennig says "look April. What happened to Dustin, I get why he's mad... his head ain't still in the game, I get that... but in the main-event tonight when that referee's bell goes I'm sure he will be in the game and to answer your question yes we're going to show those 3 sons of a gun that if they think they're going to get past Curt Hennig... if they think they're going to get past Booker.... they got another thing coming!"

Booker T then says "NOW CAN YOU DIG THAT SUCKA?!?!??"

Freestyle segment with April Hunter, Booker T, Curt Hennig & Dustin Rhodes - (84 rated) 

---

Match 3: 

Kid Kash (with Jamie Knoble) vs Scott Hall - Non-Title match

Kid Kash's 2005 Titantron Entrance Video feat. "Kash Money" Theme [HD] (youtube.com)

Well folks, says Tony Schiavone, next up we've got the WCW World Heavyweight Champion in action! Kid Kash with a huge opportunity to get an upset win here against The Bad Guy... let's see what this kid has got!

Scott Hall walks out with the WCW World Heavyweight Championship looking pretty smug and happy with himself.

This match goes just over 5 minutes. It's not a complete squash match, with Kid Kash really enthusiastic early on and getting in a few spots with his high-flying offence causing Scott Hall some problems as he maybe thought the match was going to be a formality without him needing to do much.

As the match goes on though Scott Hall's experience and superior size and strength gets him back in the match and he manages to take control. The match ends when he finally puts Kid Kash in the Razor's Edge for the win.

Scott Hall wins via pinfall - (5.04) - (66 rated) 

----

Scott Hall beat-down

After the match Scott Hall gets his WCW World Heavyweight Championship and demands a mic

Scott Hall holds up his title before stomping on Kid Kash.

Jamie Knoble, Kash's tag-team partner, storms the ring to try and defend him but Hall destroys him with a shot from The Big Gold Belt.

Once Knoble is down next to Kash, Scott Hall on the mic says "Hey yo, California (fans boo)… you know sometimes I think this industry is really beautiful... Kid Kash is life imitating art in some ways... you know, they call him Kid Kash… but this vanilla midget ain't ever drawn a dime!" 

Scott Hall then starts relentlessly stomping on the already downed Kid Kash again

Wait a minute!! Can it be?! exclaims Tony Schiavone, as yes, it is, we see Diamond Dallas Page, the number 1 contender to Scott Hall's WCW World Heavyweight Championship, with a few plasters on the top of his face from the bloody beating he suffered at Hall's hands last week on Panic!

DDP has a steel chair in hand and he comes running down the ring. Scott Hall abandons the ring and looks to make a quick getaway potentially through the crowd.

DDP says "SCOTT!! YOU WANTED TO MAKE THIS PERSONAL?! WELL I'M DOWN WITH THAT! YOU'VE MADE A PROBLEM FOR YOU NOW, BOY! YOU WANT TO RUN AWAY FROM ME LIKE THE COWARD YOU ARE? WELL BE MY GUEST, SCOTT, BECAUSE YOU'VE BEEN RUNNING AWAY FROM YOUR PROBLEMS FOR MOST OF YOUR LIFE!"

Crowd pops at this surprising reference

Scott Hall looks angry at ring-side as he begins to walk back to the entrance ramp. A camera man is filming him but Scott gets real mad and he pushes the camera man over, the hard camera flies out of focus as the camera man hits the deck.

Shane McMahon comes rushing out without his entrance theme playing etc like he's just come from the Gorilla position. 

Shane McMahon without a mic rushes up to Scott Hall. Scott Hall stares him down. Shane McMahon is standing up to him when Scott Hall pushes him out of the way a bit. Shane doesn't fall down but looks furious at this so he grabs Scott Hall.

Scott grabs Shane and looks like he is going to hit him, but DDP comes flying down to face off with him and a bunch of security and road agents rush out to get Scott Hall away from Shane and DDP. 

Shane grabs a microphone.

Shane says "SCOTT! Since you're so desperate to put your hands on me... how about we kill two birds with one stone next week?"

DDP looks a bit confused, as does Scott Hall.

Shane says "Next week, in the main event of Nitro... if you and your ex-driver have the GUTS to show up... how about we have ourselves a TAG-TEAM match... SCOTT HALL & THE SANDMAN... vs.... DDP & SHANE MCMAHON!!!!

The fans are shocked

Scott Hall is laughing at Shane McMahon but seems to give the impression he's up for it! 

Freestyle segment with Scott Hall, DDP & Shane McMahon - (90 rated) 

----

JJ Dillon with Tajiri (and Fit Finlay & Dave Taylor)

JJ Dillon is standing by in the back with the #1 Contender to the WCW World Cruiserweight Championship, Tajiri. Tajiri has Fit Finlay and Dave Taylor with him.

JJ says Tajiri, you came up just short to Billy Kidman in the final of the WCW Cruiserweight Championship, but what a run regardless... now you've got a shot at the WCW World Cruiserweight Championship at House of Cards... what's your message to the champ, Juventud Guerrera

Tajiri says "JUVI! At House of Cards... your title... will BE MINE!!"

Fit Finlay then says "Don't sleep on Tajiri! Since this young guy joined WCW he's been pound for pound THE man to beat. This guy is one of the best strikers, the best submission guys, the best technical guys that I've seen across the world... he proved last week when he beat that ass-wipe, Lawler's kid, Brian, that he's the future of this Cruiserweight division and-

'Sexy' Brian Lawler and The Sons of the South (Erik Watts & David Flair) suddenly come into set

Brian Lawler is angry and says "Fit! You think I'm an ass-wipe, huh? You wanna talk about me like I ain't nothing more than my Dad's son? Well I'm sorry Fit, but I done more in this industry than you ever have!" 

Fit Finlay says "In your dreams, son!" 

Brian Lawler says "Well if you're so tough... if you're such big fighter... then how about later tonight we settle this thing in the ring.... you 3... versus us 3!" 

Tajiri then stands in-front of 'Sexy' Brian Lawler and he says "Brian! Last week I beat you... tonight... I will beat you again!!" 

Lawler slaps Tajiri in the face. All hell breaks lose as the 6 men start brawling and have to be separated by security and road agents

Freestyle segment with JJ Dillon, Fit's Fight Club & The Sons of the South - (38 rated) 

----

Match 4: 

Billy Kidman (with Torrie Wilson) & Rob Van Dam vs The Harris Brothers (Don & Ron Harris)

TNA: 2005 Harris Brothers Theme (Big Twins) (youtube.com)

Well folks next up we've got two high-flyers who have both qualified for the House of Cards Match in Las Vegas, Nevada. Their opponents tonight are the opposite style, two big, mean tough guys who will look to brawl and ground and pound these guys

WCW Billy Kidman 4th Theme (1998-2000) (youtube.com)

Billy Kidman comes out first to a decent pop with Torrie Wilson

WWE Rob Van Dam 1st Theme "Van Daminator" (HQ) (youtube.com)

Van Dam comes out next to a bigger pop

Rob Van Dam shakes Billy Kidman's hand at the top of the entrance ramp and they make their way to the ring to tag for the first time

The Harris Brothers start the match in good form and it's clear early on that their experience teaming together and chemistry will help them out, as Kidman and Van Dam have never teamed together before and seem to struggle to understand where the other guy is going to be at the right time etc.

Kidman gets beaten up by Don and Ron Harris for a decent chunk of the match, but later into the match Van Dam gets the hot tag and he makes a huge comeback on both guys hitting aerial moves and other big kicks and strikes that has the Harris twins on the backfoot.

The finish of the match comes when Kidman drop-kicks Don Harris to the outside with Rob Van Dam as the legal man. Van Dam hits a spinning heel kick on Ron Harris who is laid out in the centre of the ring. 

Kidman goes to one of the top ropes nearest him and Van Dam to the other. Kidman hits a Shooting Star Press to Ron Harris, then gets out of the way for Van Dam to hit a Five Star Frog Splash! 

After taking two crushing moves Ron Harris can't kick out and Van Dam gets the win for his team

RVD & Billy Kidman win via pinfall - (6.03) - (69 rated) 

After the match we see Rob Van Dam and Billy Kidman both celebrate together

---

April Hunter with Lance Storm, Shawn Stasiak and Tommy Dreamer

April Hunter says "well guys, we've just seen Rob Van Dam and Billy Kidman get a win against The Harris Brothers. They look in fine form going into the House of Cards match... and then 3 other men who will be in that match are guys that you will face in the main-event tonight... have you got what it takes to defeat Booker T, Curt Hennig & Dustin Rhodes

Shawn Stasiak seems ready to answer, when Lance Storm tells him to let him take this one

Lance Storm, who holds his WCW World Tag Team Championship on his shoulder, says "April, if I can be serious for a moment... now if I was choosing who to team with tonight, it would not be these gentleman, it would be my associates in Team Canada, but given the circumstances, they will have to do... now the question you put to us have we got what it takes to beat Booker T, Curt Hennig and Dustin Rhodes? Well the fact of the matter is I am capable of beating any one of those men 1 on 1. So I reject the premise of your question!" 

April Hunter seems a bit bemused

Hunter then goes to Shawn Stasiak and says "Shawn, you've had your differences with Dustin Rhodes, he got the better of you when you last faced each other, do you think tonight can be different?"

Shawn Stasiak responds saying "Since Dustin lost the big one at Halloween Havoc... he ain't been right, I think he's got a couple screws lose lately April, well let me tell you, Dustin, Booker, Curt... I don't like any of you guys... the truth of the matter is that tonight just a preview of what's to come at House of Cards... a lot of people have been sleeping on Shawn Stasiak lately but in Vegas in the City that Never Sleeps I'm gonna wake them the hell up!" 

Tommy Dreamer then grabs the mic and says "The element of tonight's main-event that you shouldn't forget is THE INNOVATOR OF VIOLENCE... I have been overlooked my entire career... whether I was in ECW or the Extreme Alliance, the fans in these arenas have to realise that Tommy Dreamer has arrived in WCW and is here to stay... in tonight's main-event I will prove to these people why they should pay attention to me... I'm putting it out there... I'm the Dark Horse for House of Cards so don't be surprised when I come away with the win! 

Freestyle segment with April Hunter, Lance Storm, Shawn Stasiak & Tommy Dreamer - (62) 

---

Kanyon / Buff Bagwell promo

After we come back from break we see Chris Kanyon in the ring with the WCW United States Championship

Kanyon says he's a man of his word. Last week he said he would host an Open Challenge, with whoever wants to step up for a shot at his WCW United States Championship able to claim their shot at him right now.

Kanyon says he was always overlooked and never got given a real chance to prove himself. He wants someone to step up that would be proud to call themselves the WCW United States Championship... Kanyon says he doesn't like Buff Bagwell, but if Buff Bagwell is the man who wants to come out and test him for the title right now... then he is man enough to face him. 

We see Buff Bagwell in the video tron on the screen. 

Buff Bagwell says he's sorry to disappoint Kanyon. But he couldn't be there tonight and won't be answering the challenge. Bagwell says last week on Nitro, Kanyon cost him a spot at House of Cards due to interfering in his match with Rob Van Dam... Bagwell says he'd hate to fight him when he wasn't 100 percent fit, so he won't fight him tonight.

But he's glad to hear that Chris Kanyon is a man of his word... and since he offered Buff Bagwell a shot at his WCW United States Championship... he expects Kanyon to honour that promise.

The camera cuts back to Kanyon who looks a bit disappointed at this

Kanyon gets back on the mic and he says "Well if it ain't Bagwell... then come on... anyone who wants a shot at the WCW United States Championship in the back... it don't matter if you're on the roster or not... do we have any Americans in the back who wants a shot at glory?!" 

Tatanka theme

What?! exclaims Jerry Lawler in shock.

Kanyon looks surprised in the ring

Well folks, Kanyon put out the call for an American to come out and challenge him... and you can't get much more American than Tatanka! 

Tatanka makes his way to the ring to a decent pop

Tony Schiavone says, the Native American, Tatanka is a former Stampede North American Heavyweight Champion and he'll be looking to pull of a big win tonight as he goes toe to toe with Kanyon for the WCW United States Championship! 

Freestyle segment with Kanyon, Buff Bagwell & Tatanka - (62 rated) 

-----

Match 5: 

Kanyon (c) vs Tatanka for the WCW United States Championship

Kanyon shakes Tatanka's hand before the match 

This match goes just under 6 minutes and is a pretty good match overall. Kanyon is in fine form and despite not being a super active wrestler his challenger Tatanka doesn't look too off of it.

Tatanka looks good in this match and it's far from being a squash match

As the match goes on though Kanyon's ability shines through and he manages to get the better of the veteran

The match comes to an end when Kanyon finally hits a Flatliner on Tatanka to get the win

Kanyon retains via pinfall - (5.45) - (72 rated) 

---

After the match Kanyon raises his hand as the referee gives him his WCW United States Championship back, but he gets jumped! 

From out of nowhere we see Buff Bagwell in the ring and he smacks Kanyon in the back of the head with his fist.

Buff Daddy V gets in the ring now too and his a standing leg-drop on Kanyon.

The segment ends with Buff Bagwell holding up the WCW United States Championship, before DDP, Shane McMahon and several security come rushing out the back to see off Bagwell and Buff Daddy V who laugh and exit through the crowd.

---

Vampiro promo

In a pre-recorded promo we see Vampiro, with rAgE? yEs!, mOrE-bId! and lYnCh! behind him

Vampiro says he took an L at Halloween Havoc, but next week fReEk-sHoW! is returning to WCW TV with a vengeance 

Vampiro says he has a chance to qualify for House of Cards and he says once he qualifies for that match Las Vegas... the City of Second Chances... Vampiro will get to right the wrongs of his past in this company and finally earn himself a shot at the WCW World Heavyweight Championship! 

Freestyle segment with fReEk-sHoW! - (63 rated) 

---

Match 6: 

Fit's Fight Club (Fit Finlay, Tajiri & Dave Taylor) vs The Sons of the South ('Sexy' Brian Lawler, Erik Watts & David Flair

WCW Juventud Guerrera 2nd Theme Song - "Summer Nights In Spain" (With 2nd Tron) (youtube.com)

We see the WCW World Cruiserweight Champion, Juventud Guerrera, come out with the belt to a decent pop as he comes onto commentary for this match

Tony Schiavone welcomes him to the announce desk and says Juvi, at House of Cards you will defend that title of yours against Tajiri. What are your thoughts going into that match? 

Juvi says look Tony, the Juice is the Juice, man, you what I mean? Since I've been the World Cruiserweight Champion, there has been nobody who can compete with me. Kidman, Helms, Chavo, Sexy Brian, I have proven week after week, month after month, I am the best Cruiserweight in this division. Tajiri? He's a top guy, really talented in the ring, he can go at the top level, but Tony, he's not on MY level! 

We see Finlay, Tajiri and Dave Taylor come down to the ring, with Tajiri making eye contact with Juvi before he goes down

I'm Too Sexy (youtube.com)

The Sons of the South come out next. 'Sexy' Brian Lawler looks on at Juvi and says "I'm not done with you yet!" to Juvi, before he, Erik Watts and David Flair make their way to the ring for the match

This 6 man match is more of a fight than a wrestling match. Dave Taylor and Fit Finlay are in a fighting mood, with Erik Watts and David Flair taking the brunt of the action. 

When Tajiri does get in the match he shines and 'Sexy' Brian Lawler keeps tagging himself out to let the other guys do the hard work for him.

The end of the match comes when Tajiri mists Brian Lawler causing him to crash into Erik Watts knocking him off the apron. Tajiri then hits a Buzzsaw Kick on David Flair for the win.

Fit's Fight Club win via pinfall - (5.51) - (59 rated) 

After the match we Tajiri stare down Juventud Guerrera who gets up from the announce desk an claps his opponent at House of Cards.

----

Eric Bischoff and Sable clash again

We see Eric Bischoff in the back arguing with Sable. Bischoff says that last week Sable was moaning at him for booking Chigusa Nagoya and now she booked her this week and looks set to bring her into the fold in WCW. Bischoff says he should get commission for doing her job for her.

Sable starts calling Bischoff a bastard as Ricky Steamboat has to separate them.

Sable says sooner or later you will pay once and for all for treating me like this! says
Sable as she storms out

Bischoff who is still in his wheelchair following the attack from Chyna starts asking Steamboat what does she mean by that? What does she mean?

As he says this we see Sean O'Haire storm into Bischoff's office.

Sean O'Haire says it's not right that Team Canada won't have to defend the WCW World Tag Team Championship at House of Cards. He says if Bischoff truly cares about tag team wrestling in WCW he would make sure those belts are defended at least once a month

Bischoff is so annoyed he almost gets out of his wheelchair

Bischoff says next week on Nitro there is a 6-team Sudden Death match and the winner will get a shot at the WCW World Tag Team Championship on Panic! a few nights before House of Cards. Bischoff says if he didn't have to deal with Sable he would've announced it by now. Bischoff tells O'Haire he likes the kid but if he doesn't get out of his office right now then O'Haire & Palumbo won't be in that Sudden Death match next week!

Freestyle segment with Eric Bischoff, Sable, Ricky Steamboat & Sean O'Haire - (57 rated) 

----

We see Chuck Palumbo come out without Sean O'Haire for Palumbo's House of Cards Qualification match.

The announcers speculate just who Palumbo might be facing for a spot at the House of Cards match 

Sabu - Huka Blues | Custom ECW Titantron (youtube.com)

The fans pop a bit as we see Sabu, who hasn't been on WCW television since he lost the WCW United States Championship to Kanyon at Halloween Havoc. To the announcers surprise and dismay we see Bill Alfonso with him who still seems a bit beat up after what happened to him when he finally got his just desserts from Booker T.

---

Match 7: 

House of Cards Qualifying Match 12 of 18: Chuck Palumbo vs Sabu (with Bill Alfonso)

This match sees both guys going all out to qualify for House of Cards

Given the inexperience of Palumbo especially in a singles setting Sabu goes in as the favourite and whilst he shines in the match, Palumbo actually puts in a surprisingly good performance using his height and strength to prevent Sabu from inflicting too much damage to him.

It actually looks like Palumbo could pull off an upset, but Bill Alfonso starts yelling at the referee causing a distraction and Sabu low-blows Palumbo which sets him to get back in the match.

Sabu eventually manages to get Chuck Palumbo into a Camel Clutch and Palumbo has no choice but to submit.

Sabu wins via submission - (5.56) - (68 rated) 

After the match Bill Alfonso to many boos from the crowd cuts a quick promo where he says "SABU is back! I AM back! And every man at House of Cards needs to know if you want to get to Starrcade you've got to get past the HOMICIDAL... SUICIDAL... GENOCIDAL...DEATH-DEFYING MANIAC....SABU!!!

---

1. Wildcard 1
2. Wildcard 2
3. Billy Kidman
4. Booker T
5. Curt Hennig
7. Lance Storm
8. Mike Awesome
9. Rob Van Dam
10. Sabu
11. Shawn Stasiak
12. Steve Corino
13. Terry Funk
14. Tommy Dreamer

---

Latino Inferno segment

We see Chavo Guerrero Jr and Disco Inferno this time at what appears to be a party backstage in the locker-room

Disco Inferno gets a call on his cell phone. 

Disco tells Chavo that next week on Nitro they're in the 6-team Sudden Death match and if they win that they get a shot at the WCW World Tag Team Champions next week on Panic!

Chavo Guerrero Jr says this tag-team business is easy, Ese! 

Disco and Chavo go back to having a good time

Freestyle segment with Latino Inferno - (49 rated) 

----

Match 8 / Main Event

Booker T, Curt Hennig & 'The Natural' Dustin Rhodes vs Lance Storm, Shawn Stasiak & Tommy Dreamer

Curt Hennig 2nd WCW Theme Alternate Version (youtube.com)

We see Curt Hennig come out first as the announcers hype up this big 6-man main-event tag team match with all of these guys who are in the running at House of Cards next week

OFFICIAL AEW ENTRANCE THEME | "THE NATURAL" DUSTIN RHODES (youtube.com)

We see Dustin Rhodes come out still looking moody. Tony Schiavone says Dustin hasn't looked right since what happened in Texas at Halloween Havoc. Can he pull it together for his team tonight?

WCW Booker T Theme (youtube.com)

We see Booker T come out looking intense and hyped up at the entrance ramp and OH! 

Lance Storm, Shawn Stasiak and Tommy Dreamer don't waste any time as they jump Booker T on the entrance ramp before even making an entrance themselves!

Dustin and Curt turn around and start fighting Dreamer and Stasiak, whilst Lance Storm starts stomping on Booker T on the ground

A few referees and Shane McMahon rush out and tell them they have to get this in the ring or maybe they won't even make it to House of Cards!

With that threat things seem to simmer down a bit and after Dustin and Curt help Booker up the 6 men make their way to the respective sides of the ring and the match begins.

This is a hotly contested match with Storm, Stasiak and Dreamer's decision to jump Booker T before the match really firing up him and his team in the match

All 6 men get a chance to showcase themselves in this match and there's no real clear stand-out star within it

The end of the match comes when Curt Hennig accidentally collides into Dustin Rhodes in a moment of confusion in the ring.

Dustin Rhodes takes a moment to collect himself as he looks pissed at Hennig at first. This moment costs his team big-time as Shawn Stasiak uses the opportunity to throw Dustin Rhodes out of the ring, as Lance Storm storms the ring and knocks Booker T off the apron.

Tommy Dreamer hits a Dreamer DDT to Curt Hennig and he picks up the win for his team!

Storm, Stasiak & Dreamer win via pinfall - (7.27) - (70 rated) 

---

Mayhem after the Match

After the match Tommy Dreamer starts beating down Curt Hennig. Booker T and Dustin Rhodes storm back into the ring, with Storm and Stasiak starting to fight against them.

We then see Mike Awesome and Sabu come rushing out from the back to join in the fight in the ring.

The fans pop as Rob Van Dam and Billy Kidman then come out to. 

The announcers mention how there's now 10 men in the ring, all of which have qualified for House of Cards! If this chaos is anything to go by we should have a hell of a time in Vegas says Tony Schiavone as the show goes off air with referees and road agents piling out of the back

Freestyle segment with House of Cards qualifiers - (96 rated) 

----
Show Rating: 81
0.94 TV rating (712K viewers)

• Like 2

Friday Night Panic! Episode 16: 

Friday 16 November 2001

Live late-night on FX

7,300 crowd from Tucson, Arizona

Fat Lip (youtube.com)

Joey Styles kicks the show by welcoming fans to WCW Friday Night Panic! LIVE from Arizona! 

What a show we've got for you tonight folks, says Scott Hudson, we've got a sit-down interview from Diamond Dallas Page with our broadcast colleague Roddy Piper, plus Chyna is in action later tonight!

That's right Scott, says Stevie Ray. What I'm looking forward to seeing tonight we got another House of Cards qualifier, 1 half of Expressly American, Mike Rotunda, will take on Team Canada's Carl Ouellet for a spot in that match in Vegas! 

Joey Styles says yes Stevie and in our main event tonight we will see the return of the Steve Corino Open Challenge, but kicking us off tonight, 1 half of the Hounds of Hades, Djinni Parisi is currently in the ring and from what we understand he will be in a House of Cards qualifying match!

----

The Underworld promo

In the ring we see Djinni Parisi ready to compete, with his tag-team partner, Saemon Daemon standing by, with 'The Fallen Angel' Christopher Daniels and 'The Queen of the Underworld' Dawn-Macaria

Dawn-Macaria says that The Underworld have returned from the Darkness to come back to WCW. 

Dawn-Macaria says she has seen a prophecy. In the City that Never Sleeps, Death will return to glory. 

Dawn-Macaria says that Death must refer to Djinni Parisi and that it is prophesied that he will qualify for this match in Las Vegas, Nevada and he will take home the win and-

AJPW Steve Williams 1st Theme Song - "I Love It Loud" (With 1st Tron) (RIP) (youtube.com)

Oh hell no! exclaims Stevie Ray. 

Scott Hudson quickly adds "Well Dawn-Macaria has just said that In the City that Never Sleeps, Death will return to glory... well Djinni Parisi's opponent for a spot in that House of Cards match appears to be the returning DR DEATH!! 

Freestyle segment with The Underworld & 'Dr Death' Steve Williams - (47 rated) 

----

Match 1: 

House of Cards Qualifying Match 13 of 18: Djinni Parisi (with 'The Queen of the Underworld' Dawn-Macaria, 'The Fallen Angel' Christopher Daniels & Saemon Daemon) vs 'Dr Death' Steve Williams (with Jimmy Hart) 

'Dr Death' Steve Williams comes into the match like a wrecking train. It's the first time we've seen him back on WCW TV since he lost to Scott Hall for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship at Fall Brawl. 

Williams has been on a brief excursion to Japan but he clearly hasn't missed a beat!

The Underworld try to cheat, with both Christopher Daniels and Saemon Daemon trying to get involved in the match but 'Dr Death' manages to nail both of them off the apron or on the outside to prevent them from getting involved in the match. 

The end of the match comes when Dawn-Macaria tries to summon a demonic entity for help but she gets chased away by Jimmy Hart screaming "BURN THE WITCH! BURN THE WITCH!" into his megaphone, that sees Saemon Daemon and Christopher Daniels chase after him. 

In the ring Steve Williams hits Djinni Parisi with a Dr Bomb and gets the win.

Steve Williams wins via pinfall - (5.44) - (60 rated) 

----

Steve Williams promo

After the match 'Dr Death' Steve Williams says he's back in WCW for 1 reason and 1 reason only... he will go to House of Cards and out last all of the other 19 men... because he has just 1 goal in WCW and 1 goal only... to get that Big Gold Belt for the first time in his career!

'Dr Death' said he's come back from Japan with a fire burning in his chest and anyone who gets in his way on the Journey to Starrcade will regret the day they got in the Doctor's Way!

Freestyle segment with Dr Death Steve Williams - (60 rated) 

--- 

1. Wildcard 1
2. Wildcard 2
3. Billy Kidman
4. Booker T
5. Curt Hennig
7. Lance Storm
8. Mike Awesome
9. Rob Van Dam
10. Sabu
11. Shawn Stasiak
12. Steve Corino
13. 'Dr Death' Steve Williams
14. Terry Funk
15. Tommy Dreamer

-----

House of Cards Promo

We see a pre-recorded promo where various House of Cards qualifiers including: Billy Kidman, Booker T, Curt Hennig, Dustin Rhodes, Lance Storm, Mike Awesome, Rob Van Dam, Sabu, Shawn Stasiak and Tommy Dreamer make their claim for why they think they will win it all in Vegas

Freestyle segment with House of Cards qualifiers - (89 rated) 

----

Match 2: 

Chyna vs Tylene Buck 

Tylene Buck is already in the ring for this match as a pissed off Chyna makes her way to the ring.

This is more or less a squash match with Tylene Buck not getting in much offence at all as Chyna dominates her in the ring before getting the win with a Chokeslam.

Chyna wins via pinfall - (4.03) - (36 rated) 

---

Chyna promo

After the match Chyna calls for a microphone

Chyna says she knows that Akira Hokuto and especially James Mitchell are running scared of her... but they can wait... I will take what's mine in the WCW World Women's Championship sooner rather than later, but before I get to that there's another bitch I want to address tonight

Chigusa Nagoya! I don't know who you are or why you think you can come on over from Japan and get involved in my business here in WCW.

I don't know whether you're a hired gun by Mitchell and Akira, or whether you're trying to make a name for yourself in America by taking down the baddest bitch in American wrestling... but either way you're barking up the wrong damn tree! 

Since you're obviously too scared to confront me on Panic! and I'm still banned from Nitro by the powers that be... here's what I have in mind, Chigusa. I know you'll be there in Las Vegas to try and help your girl Akira in her big match defending her title against Malia Hosaka.

Well I'll be there... you'll be there... so how about it Chigusa Nagoya? House of Cards... Las Vegas, Nevada... for the first time ever... Chigusa Nagoya vs CHYNA!

Arn Anderson says well damn Chyna has thrown out the challenge, will Chigusa Nagoya answer next week?! 

Freestyle segment with Chyna - (46 rated) 

----

Joey Styles interview with The Sandman

When we come back from break we see Joey Styles once again interviewing The Sandman in a bar

Joey Styles says "well, Sandman, I guess the whole of WCW has just 1 question for you this week. On Nitro, Shane McMahon threw down the challenge for Nitro next week... DDP & Shane McMahon vs Scott Hall and You, if you show up that is. Will you be there on Nitro next week?" 

The Sandman takes a drag on his cigarette then has some beer

"You see Joey... that's typical McMahon arrogance... I'm not even employed by this guy... I'm not part of the WCW roster... and he's booking me for a match? Well I haven't had anyone from WCW reach out to me to offer any kind of money... so as it stands he wants me to turn up on Nitro, unpaid, and compete in a match with him and DDP?" 

Joey Styles nods along and says "But you'd get your chance for some revenge on Shane!" 

The Sandman says "Look Joey, I don't like Shane. I don't like DDP and I definitely don't like Scott Hall. You ask me, I don't really see that I got any reason to show up on Nitro... but here's what I'll offer Shane... and since I know this will go out to all the fans too they'll know and all the boys in the back will know what a ***** Shane McMahon is if he says no... I'll show up to Nitro and take part in this tag-team match with Shane McMahon on 1 condition...

Joey Styles says "well I'm sure all the fans will want to know what this condition is?!" 

The Sandman says "I'll show up to Nitro for this tag-team match if Shane McMahon books me in a match at House of Cards... I don't want to be in his hokey Royal Rumble rip-off... I want... The Sandman vs Shane McMahon... 1 on 1... in an Unsanctioned Match! And if I win that match, he has to give me a WCW contract... and I ain't talking crap money... he has to give me Rob Van Dam money... if I win I get the same money that Van Dam is on!" 

Joey Styles looks shocked by The Sandman's demands but he finishes his drink and then walks off.

Freestyle segment with The Sandman and Joey Styles - (51 rated) 

----

Match 3: 

House of Cards Qualifying Match 14 of 18: Carl Ouellet (with Mike Awesome) vs Mike Rotunda (with Barry Windham) 

Lance Storm WCW Titantron - "Team Canada" (youtube.com)

We hear Team Canada's theme and out comes Carl Ouellet with the WCW World Tag Team Champions, Lance Storm and Mike Awesome.

Lance Storm heads to the announce desk to be on commentary for this match, whilst Mike Awesome heads to the ring to stand at ringside in support of their stable-mate.

WWF US Express "Born In the USA" Theme (youtube.com)

Mike Rotunda comes out with his Expressly American tag-team partner, Barry Windham, who eyes up Mike Awesome from the outside

On commentary, Scott Hudson questions Lance Storm about if he thinks Team Canada could beat Expressly American. In their previous 2 tag-team matches they were held to time-limit draws, if Expressly American win this 6-Team Sudden Death match on Nitro, you could be facing them next week on Panic!

Lance Storm says if he can be serious for one moment they are unbeaten against Expressly American and he sees no reason why that would change if they faced them again. Storm says tonight Carl Ouellet will show Mike Rotunda that Canadians do it better.

This is a hard hitting match with both guys having more of a wild brawl than a wrestling match.

Carl Ouellet looks strong and powerful and Mike Rotunda struggles to keep up with him at times in this match being more used to tag-team matches with his partner Windham in recent times.

The end of the match comes when there's an altercation between Awesome and Windham at ringside. The referee ejects both men from ringside who are equally outraged, but before he can do so Mike Awesome slips a Canadian flag to Carl Ouellet which the referee doesn't see as he's distracted ejecting Windham.

As Mike Awesome gets ejected with the referee shouting at him, Carl Ouellet tries to nail Mike Rotunda with the Canadian Flag, but Rotunda manages to get out of the way and then he kicks Ouellet in a low blow before hitting a lariat on him and discarding the Canadian Flag to the outside. 

The referee then turns around and counts the 1-2-3! 

Mike Rotunda wins via pinfall - (6.02) - (45 rated) 

After the match Expressly American celebrate Rotunda's victory as Lance Storm furiously comes off commentary to dispute this with the referee

---

1. Wildcard 1
2. Wildcard 2
3. Billy Kidman
4. Booker T
5. Curt Hennig
7. Lance Storm
8. Mike Awesome
9. Mike Rotunda
10. Rob Van Dam
11. Sabu
12. Shawn Stasiak
13. Steve Corino
14. 'Dr Death' Steve Williams
15. Terry Funk
16. Tommy Dreamer

---

Real Talk with Roddy

Roddy Piper has a pre-recorded sit-down interview with DDP

Roddy Piper says "Page, you're a 3 time WCW World Heavyweight Champion, but before we started recorded you told me that this match with Scott Hall at House of Cards for that title is the most important of your career and would mean more than the others... why do you say that, man?"

DDP takes a breath and then replies "Roddy... you're right I've won that belt 3 times... but I've never walked in or walked out of Starrcade with the Big Gold Belt. Starrcade just hits different, you know... when I think of the legends of WCW and the NWA and their legacy of World Title matches... Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Sting, Lex Luger, Randy Savage, Hulk Hogan... I want my name, my legacy as part of that history... and to do that I gotta beat my old pal Scott Hall at House of Cards!" 

Roddy Piper nods in agreement.

"Okay, okay, well Page, before you get there you've got this tag-team match with Shane McMahon against Scott Hall and The Sandman next week on Nitro, now we don't know if The Sandman is going to show up, but even if he doesn't... does it make you at all uncomfortable to be teaming with the boss against one of the boys like this?" 

DDP thinks about his answer before replying.

"Roddy, look, Scott Hall since he got back to WCW thought that the NWO was still running this place... or that we would go back to something like that... but under Shane McMahon, we've had someone come in and yes, Shane is learning on the job, but he's trying to do the best he can for this company, our company and look you can question some of the stuff that's gone down, but most of it was always to help the boys... everything Scott Hall has done since he got back was for 1 man... Scott Hall... and look if he wants to put hands on the boss, I'm happy to defend him as I don't think that's right."

Roddy Piper nods and then says "One more question before we go Page. House of Cards. You face Scott Hall for the chance to win your 4th WCW World Heavyweight Championship and walk into Starrcade 2001 as the WCW World Heavyweight Champion... what happens if you lose this match? What is there for DDP at Starrcade 2001 if you come up short in Vegas?" 

DDP laughs nervously

"Well Roddy, yeah, yeah that's quite the question. There's a cliché of course in Vegas that you put all your chips down and you win or lose.... Scott Hall might think he's going into this match as the guy with everything to lose because if he loses he loses that title... but I feel like I'm the guy with everything to lose. Because if he loses, he's still getting paid whether he's on that show or not and I don't think deep down Scott really cares the same way about legacy and history like I do... sure he doesn't want to lose, but I think he could move past losing the title... but me? If I blow my shot? This could be my last shot at the big one, Roddy. This could be my lost shot to walk into Starrcade or walk out of Starrcade as the WCW World Heavyweight Champion... and if I come up short?  What is there for me at Starrcade this year... I don't know, man. I don't know." 

Freestyle segment with Roddy Piper & DDP - (99 rated) 

----

We see Steve Corino come out with the WCW FXtreme Television Championship, with his manager Don Callis walking just behind him. Don Callis has a microphone.

"Excuse me, Tucson, my client has something he'd like to say" Don Callis says, as the fans boo.

Joey Styles reminds viewers of the Steve Corino Open Challenge rules:

If the competitor was a former WCW World Television Champion the match will take place under standard rules. 

If they were the WCW World Hardcore Champion or ECW Television Champion it will be under NO-DQ rules. 

If the competitor has been WCW World TV and the Hardcore or ECW TV champion as well, then it is dealer's choice and they can choose.

As Corino gets to the ring he says he should be preparing for the House of Cards match in Las Vegas next week, where he'll get a chance to not just be the most dominant Television champion in all of wrestling, but the most dominant WORLD champion in all of wrestling.

Corino says the powers that be clearly don't want him to be on top, but he doesn't care what those people want. Corino says whoever wants to challenge him this week should hurry up and get their ass out here so he can get back to preparing for the biggest match of his life! 

WWE: Road To Texas (Terry Funk) By Jim Johnston + Custom Cover And D/Link (youtube.com)

Wait a minute! exclaims Scott Hudson. It's the Funker!

Terry Funk comes out with a mic of his own

Terry Funk says "Corino! It seems like you don't want to defend that title of yours and you'd rather prepare for House of Cards next week. Well Steve, why don't I help you kill 2 birds with 1 stone? Because I'm in that House of Cards match... if you want to go to Starrcade 2001 you'll have to get past The Funker first... and Steve, if you want to walk into House of Cards as the WCW FXtreme Television Champion... you'll have to get past The Funker TONIGHT!!!

Terry Funk vs Steve Corino, right here, right now?! shouts Joey Styles. 

We in for a treat tonight, boys! laughs Stevie Ray as he says that Corino has bitten off more than he can chew!

Well Terry Funk, says Joey Styles, ECW Television Champion and WCW Hardcore Champion, it's safe to say this match is going to be fought with NO-DISQUALIFCATION! We've got 10 minutes of the show left tonight and we will stay with this match until it's conclusion!

Freestyle segment with Steve Corino, Don Callis & Terry Funk - (54 rated) 

----

Match 4 / Main Event:

The Steve Corino Open Challenge: Steve Corino (c) (with Don Callis) vs Terry Funk for the WCW FXtreme Television Championship - No-Disqualification Match

This match is a violent match full of mayhem as both competitors use a variety of weapons, including chairs, there is a spot where Corino suplexes Funk through a table that sees The Funker narrowly kick out and Corino also uses the ring bell at one point to smash into Funk's face.

Funk is bleeding by the end of the match. The ring announcer confirms there's just 1 minute of the match left.

Callis calls on Corino to go on the offence and throws him a bag. Corino opens the bag and it litters the ring with thumb-tacks!

Corino is trying to hit an Old School Expulsion on Funk to the thumb-tacks, but Funk keeps trying to counter out of it, eventually Funk manages to hit a massive DDT on Corino into the tacks! 

OH MY GOD!! exclaims Joey Styles

New champion! New champion! shouts Stevie Ray.

But just as the ref is counting and Funk covers Corino his manager Don Callis manages to pull the referee out of the ring!

The referee is furious! He starts shouting at Don Callis and ejects him from ringside!

Funk and the fans plead with the ref to get back in the ring. He gets back in the ring and DING-DING!

The match is over! It's 10 minute time-limit draw! Corino is still the champion!

The match goes to a time-limit draw - Steve Corino retains the title (10.00) - (54 rated) 

----

After the match we see Callis celebrate with Corino as Funk looks on very unhappy.

But then Scott Hudson stands up on the announce desk. He has a microphone.

Scott Hudson says he has just got word from Shane McMahon that due to Don Callis' interference in this match... next week on Friday Night Panic! to start the show Terry Funk will get a rematch against Steve Corino… and Don Callis will be BANNED from ringside! 

Don Callis is furious and raging as the show ends with Terry Funk's bloodied face smiling at his chance to get his hands on Corino's title next week on the House of Cards go home show.

----

Show Rating: 75
0.93 TV rating (698K viewers)

WWF Survivor Series 2001 results

Triple H defeated 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin in a Steel Cage match win the WWF World Heavyweight title - (88 rated)

The Rock, The Brothers of Destruction (The Undertaker & Kane) and The A.P.A (Bradshaw & Farooq) defeated Big Show, Chris Benoit, The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray & D-Von) & X-Pac in a Survivor Series 5 vs 5 Elimination Match - (82 rated)

Chris Jericho defeated Rhyno to win the WWF Intercontinental title - (81 rated) 

The Hardy Boyz defeated Edge & Christian in a Ladder match to win the WWF World Tag Team titles - (83 rated)

Kurt Angle defeated Tazz - (75 rated) 

William Regal defeated Rikishi to win the WWF European title - (63 rated)

Scotty 2 Hotty defeated K-Kwik to retain the WWF Light Heavyweight Title - (43 rated) 

Trish Stratus defeated Molly Holly to retain the WWF Women's title - (74 rated) 

Raven defeated Billy Gunn and Val Venis to win the WWF Hardcore title - (62 rated) 

Rey Mysterio defeated Essa Rios - (61 rated) 

Pre-Show

Test defeated D'Lo Brown - (56 rated) 

Lita defeated Ivory - (52 rated) 

The Hollys (Hardcore Holly & Crash Holly) defeated Head Cheese (Al Snow & Steve Blackman - (56 rated)

88 rated

57,000 live attendance in Greensboro, North Carolina

5.21 rating (2.84 million viewers)

-

I've been booking TV since No Mercy and this was my first WWF PPV. 

Given the 2001 Survivor Series in the real timeline was very much an Alliance/WWF type show it was an interesting place to start booking the WWF as I had to make quite large-scale changes as a lot of the Alliance guys aren't on the roster and we don't have the big WWF/Alliance match as the main event.

So I've continued the ongoing AI feud between Triple H and Steve Austin for the WWF title and Triple H beats Austin for the belt. They also held the WWF World Tag Team titles forever and the AI wasn't really having them defended. I changed that by having Austin/HHH break-down in a match on Raw defending against Edge & Christian who managed to win the titles ending the Two Man Power Trip's reign. 

I could have put the belts straight on the Hardy Boyz, but I thought that this could also kick-start the break-up of Edge & Christian as a team, so they win the belts one last time and then lose the titles to the Hardy Boyz in a Ladder Match due to miscommunication which will lead to Christian turning heel on Edge which happened a good few months earlier in the real timeline.

I didn't have much for the 5 vs 5 really. I centred the feud around Big Show and The Rock with the basic idea that Big Show had criticised The Rock for not being loyal to the WWF as he was going off to Hollywood etc, then The Rock questions the loyalty of anyone who has jumped ship from WCW/ECW in recent times. So I was sort of pitting WWF "originals" against a WCW/ECW "alliance" to some extent, although as you will see in the next post X-Pac was a very late edition to Team Big Show/Alliance as originally it was meant to be Big Show, Dudleyz & The Radicalz. 

Chris Jericho got a big push around this time period originally and I plan to do this myself. Jericho taking the WWF Intercontinental title from Rhyno is the first step towards that. I like the idea of really pushing the Intercontinental title as a belt held by the guys that are on the cusp of the main event or are main-event guys that have been a little off that level. 

Given the WWF won't get the United States title in this timeline I like the idea in this time-line keeping the European title going as a slightly "different" mid-card belt. I see it as being a belt for mid-card guys that can ideally really work in the ring and put on great matches. I don't know if WWF would have ever done it but I feel like it would be cool if it became almost like the ROH Pure title where it had slightly different rules. You wouldn't have it every week but when it is defended it's an event. Say for example every match on TV is 10 minutes and every match on PPV is 20 minutes. My idea would be that every match would be fought within Iron Man type rules where you could win the match 1-0, 2-0, 2-1 or draw 0-0, 1-1 etc. Regal seems like the perfect guy to spearhead that division for now.

I also like the idea of keeping the Hardcore title going for now. I think I would probably try and make it less gimmicky in terms of the 24/7 rule, whilst I wouldn't completely outlaw that as a concept I'd probably try and phase that element of it out to some extent. Billy Gunn is certainly not the guy I would want to build the Hardcore title around so I think it makes sense to stick it on Raven for now. Raven and Billy Gunn had too many matches lately so I had to make it a 3-way with Val Venis, which seems super random, but just you wait, as a tag-team will soon emerge that will replace Billy & Chuck in this timeline given Chuck Palumbo won't be heading to WWF/E any time soon...

Trish for now makes sense to build the Women's division around and she performs really well to be fair so I can't complain even if the women's division is smaller than you would like at the moment.

I think it makes sense to push the Light-Heavyweight division and keep that title where there will be no Cruiserweight Title in WWF in this timeline. Scotty 2 Hotty isn't really the guy I want to build that division around, but I thought it seemed too obvious to bring Rey Mysterio in and have him take title within a few weeks. So my idea was he debuted and won a quick feud with Essa Rios and he will be going for that belt now.

6212996799d11ba0ec4a70445f03f9ed.png

Perry Saturn fired by Vince McMahon at Survivor Series!

In an exciting show that saw 5 title changes it could be Perry Saturn's gross misconduct at the show and his subsequent sacking by a furious Vince McMahon that is the biggest takeaway from the show in North Carolina last night. 

Many fans in attendance were confused when X-Pac was added at the last minute to the Survivor Series 5 vs 5 Elimination Match which had been advertised as including The Radicalz (Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn) on Big Show's team. Some were concerned that Perry Saturn had suffered a last minute injury or some kind of family emergency, but it appears that the truth has some fans feeling less sympathetic for Saturn.

Our sources close to one WWF wrestler confirmed that Perry Saturn turned up to the show in no fit state to perform due to being high on drugs. One source was quoted as saying "Perry was messed up, man. He turned up absolutely stinking of weed and he'd clearly taken some harder stuff too. I don't know what he was on but nobody could believe it. Like he actually turned up to the venue like everything was cool and he could wrestle. Vince absolutely lost his s**t! It would be one thing if Perry wasn't booked on the card or was in some throwaway dark-match or something, but he's in one of the biggest matches on the cards! You've got guys like The Rock, Undertaker, Kane, Bradshaw and Big Show in this match and you're telling them Saturn is too f****d up on weed and pills to be in their match... I've never seen anything like it, man. Malenko's obviously Perry's boy and he was trying to talk Vince and the office down from out-right firing him, Dean was trying to convince them to send him to rehab or suspend him for a month without pay or something instead. Maybe if it had been at a Raw or Smackdown or something, but Vince wasn't having it, man. He fired Saturn's ass before the show even went on air!" 

It is not clear what Perry Saturn's immediate employment options will look like. If his contract had expired or he'd been released by WWF as part of budget cuts or something then it could be expected that Shane McMahon's WCW might have come in for him, but given the circumstances of his firing it seems unlikely that WCW would take a chance on him any time soon. 

-

I did think about suspending Saturn or sending him to rehab, but I felt like if this happened in real-life especially around this time period with the guys he was against in that match, I just don't really see any scenario where Vince doesn't fire him. Given that Saturn left the company the next year anyway it just speeds up his departure. A little annoying from a booking perspective as I did have some plans for using him and Benoit as The Radicalz as a tag-team, even had them booked in for a title shot at a future PPV, but that's obviously scrapped now.

b74f3e4e8d29e794dc9bb8748e1ad712.png

'Stone Cold' Steve Austin sent home from Raw and suspended for 1 month!

Steve Austin has been suspended for 1 month in another shocking development at the WWF. Stone Cold, who was said to be fairly unhappy about losing the WWF Heavyweight title to Triple H in a Steel Cage match at Survivor Series last night, was sent home and told to stay home for a month without pay after he turned up too drunk to compete on Monday Night Raw. This just 24 hours after Perry Saturn was fired by Vince McMahon for turning up too high on drugs to compete at Survivor Series.

There are some within the WWF who believe this shows double standards from Vince McMahon given he fired Saturn. Whilst some are speculating that of course Vince McMahon is going to treat Steve Austin differently than Perry Saturn, especially given WCW would be more than happy to take Austin in even if had been fired, it is thought Vince's reasoning for being more lenient with Stone Cold was that he wasn't actually scheduled to compete on Raw. Whilst he was booked to appear in an angle he was given the night off competing after the brutal cage-match with Triple H at Survivor Series.

Steve Austin was said to take the suspension well. It is not clear whether Austin turned up drunk perhaps hoping to be fired like Saturn was, but with Wrestlemania X-8 just months away now Vince McMahon was certainly not keen on firing Austin who he still hopes will compete at that show in some capacity. 

Austin's behaviour perhaps justifies Vince's decision to take the WWF Heavyweight title off of Stone Cold and given this incident it would be a surprise if the belt was put back on him any time soon as a result. It is thought that Stone Cold's suspension will end after the WWF's final PPV of the year, Vengeance, due to take place in San Diego, California on the 9th of December.

Austin was rumoured to be entering into a program with Kurt Angle which was due to start on Raw, but that seems to have been shelved for now given Austin's suspension will include that PPV. It is hoped by Vince and WWF that Austin will be mentally okay to compete by the Royal Rumble at the end of January.

-

I mean, wow, I couldn't believe it when this happened. I've been booking WCW for like over 6 months and whilst I've had several guys throw their toys out the pram due to booking I've not had anyone turn up to the show too drunk or high to compete. And now after 1 month of booking the WWF it's happened twice in the space of 2 shows, with one of them being Stone Cold ffs. 

I'm just glad I took the title off him when I did. It might have been that was what triggered it as he was unhappy, but he wasn't completely raging or anything so I didn't think too much of it.