WCW 2001: 'Bout Time I Elevated To Claim My Own Throne!

First of all I need to give credit to MrCanada as it's his database/mod/graphics that I'm using for this save. 

I haven't really posted on here before and I only found out about the mod through a random TEW2020 youtube video from a Youtuber I'd never watched before (AuspiciousAussie) but I watched his intro video for this mod and I just thought it seemed awesome and have spent hours checking out the DB on the game in the last few days.

I haven't done one of these in probably well over 10 years and probably don't have the spare time to go super nuts in the write ups of the shows (in terms of writing out promos, matches in massive length) so if that's deal breaker I'll just set your expectations low at the start. I do still plan to put in a decent level of write up in what's going on etc but just don't have the time to go super in-depth with everything.

Edited by PH71
  • Like 1

Self-imposed loosely followed "rules" to make it more realistic for me

There's a few things I'm going to try and stick to in this save to try and keep it somewhat realistic at least in my own view point. 

The first one is the product.

The product within the Mod for Shane's WCW is quite similar to WWF at the time and so the weekly TV shows are 70 percent angles and 30 percent matches. This is quite alien for me on TEW as typically I go for more of a Wrestling Nerd Nirvana type booking which focuses more on matches, so I'm not super experienced at booking angle heavy shows. I will be learning on the job for the first few months but I guess that kind of ties into how Shane McMahon would be learning on the job being a promoter for the first time. 

The second one is signings and the use of talent. 

I'm not going for a completely historically accurate or most likely list of signings, talent etc that WCW in this scenario would've definitely signed/not signed and will be doing what I want to some extent, but there are some rules I will be sticking to. 

The mod has the guys who were seeing out their deals out for "legal reasons" for the realistic periods of time and I haven't messed with any of that. I will probably look to sign some of them when they become available, but with WWF and NJPW both in the market for talent I would say basically none of them are guaranteed pick ups for us. But I find that a fun part of the game and should add to the different stuff that happens in this new timeline. I actually think to some extent it will ensure our product/roster stays a bit fresh as there's a steady flow of potential new signings over the course of 2 years or so.

In terms of guys who were in WCW towards the end or were under contract in this mod but didn't end up doing much in wrestling after WCW went bust I have signed/kept a fair few of those guys. I probably won't build around most of them but certainly for the first few years it will be useful to have some name recognition.

In terms of guys at WWF who may get released, fired, go out of contract etc. I am treating these as "fair game" in the sense that if someone who wasn't released or fired by WWF in the real timeline does get sacked/released then if I do want them I'll go for them. The two main ones at the moment who I haven't signed or bid for are Jerry Lawler and The Prototype (John Cena) as neither were under the WWF umbrella at this point (vast majority of the other Ruthless Aggression guys are in developmental territories). With both Lawler and Cena I am waiting until their respective returns/debuts on WWF/E TV before I look to sign either of them. I'm not going to "game" the game and put them with WWF directly (not even sure how you do this in a save game or if it's possible) but signing either of them would feel a bit unrealistic to me so I'm going to give WWF/E some time to pick them up and if not I will probably go for both at some point.

On those lines another big self-imposed rule is how I'll be treating "young" or "next generation" talent generally in terms of signing. Nothing against people who do this and each to their own in the save etc but to keep it a bit more realistic/fun for me as an alternative timeline thing I won't be going in to sign any "young" talent until around the time they debuted in the real timeline on either WWE, NWA/TNA or ROH. I get to some this would be a weird rule and in an alternative timeline you would get talent scouting etc and a lot of younger talent could end up on WCW much quicker, but I have kept notes in Excel for when I can potentially sign some of the young talent who made a name for themselves in ROH, TNA etc.

As you will see I have signed a couple of younger guys who were contracted to WCW in the last few years they were around as I have taken them as "fair game" as on the radar for WCW at the time and whilst I won't give them monster pushes straight away they could well end up getting bigger sooner than they did in the real timeline.

The third one is retirements/wrestlers no longer being active

To keep it realistic/enjoyable for me as an alternative timeline type thing I will be retiring people around the same sort of time they retired with the editor. So for example The Rock, Steve Austin etc from active competition around the dates of the last matches they had in real life. I'll also be retiring off the more popular stars who sadly passed away in the real timeline around the time they passed, think killing them off directly is a bit too morbid for me, but at least retiring them from active competition just to keep it a bit more realistic when playing.

Edited by PH71
  • Like 2

Starting Roster from the Mod: 

4a60002417cb7a955a691edb809040fc.jpg

Active Talent

Billy Kidman
Booker T
Buff Bagwell
Chavo Guerrero Jr
Chuck Palumbo
Dave Taylor*
David Flair 
DDP
Elix Skipper
Evan Karagias
Fit Finlay*
Hugh Morrus
Jamie Knoble
Jason Jett
Jimmy Yang
Johnny The Bull
Kanyon
Kaz Hayashi
Kid Romeo
Kwee Wee
Lance Storm
Lash LeRoux
Mark Jindrak
Mike Awesome
Mike Sanders
Reno
Sean O'Haire
Shane Helms
Shannon Moore
Shawn Stasiak
The Wall (In rehab)

Sharmell
Stacy Keibler
Torrie Wilson

CEO/Owner: 

Shane McMahon

Announcers:

Arn Anderson
Scott Hudson

Refs: 

Billy Silverman
Charles Robinson
Nick Patrick

Backroom/Road Agents: 

Dave Taylor
Fit Finlay
Johnny Ace

The only changes I've made to the roster pre-save was to edit Fit Finlay and Dave Taylor's contracts so they are Road Agents but also available for in-ring work too. 

Overall a decent starting point, but given the amount of talent kicking around as free agents or not on exclusive written contracts at WWF/NJPW etc it would be rude not to make a fair amount of signings both in-ring and behind the scenes to kick start the Shane O'Mac WCW era. 

More to follow...

Edited by PH71
  • Like 1

Jesus this is a pretty bad roster, I mean I recognize some of these names but I think most of them were shipped off to developmental or released outright both during and after the invasion. Your gonna have to sign some big-names if you want this to work.

Some like sting, flair, mysterio, Scott Steiner, the nwo and Goldberg aren't available for various reasons like their AOL contracts or injuries but their are some who could help, first and foremost is Jeff Jarrett, he's contract was with wcw instead of AOL but was publicly fired by Vince cause of a dispute they had at the time. not sure if he'll have the same problems with shane but he could be the closest to a top heel if you sign him. The two top guys at the moment, booker t and ddp are both faces so unless you turn one heel you'll need someone for them to feud against.

Other former wwf/wcw/ecw alumni to sign include the mexicools juventud Guerrera, Psychosis and super crazy, road Dogg, konnan, Norman smiley, Crowbar devon storm, disco inferno, gangrel, Jerry lynn, shane Douglas, sabu, sandman, balls Mahoney, the f.b.i little Guido and Tony mamaluke, Masato Tanaka, Terry Funk, Steve corino, Mikey whipwreck, kronik the Brian's Clark and adams, nova and the blue meanie, Ron killings, taka michinoku, Dan Severn, Ken Shamrock, Ernest the cat Miller, and ultimo dragon. You have to sign all these guys but having some of them will help.

I actually think WCW starts in a decent place if you shift towards a more wrestling-friendly product.

DDP and Booker T are the obvious stars and are great in the ring.

Lance Storm and Kanyon are also really good and have a decent push.

Young guys like Kaz Hayashi and Shane Helms definitely could fill a bigger role. 

I'd start with focusing on some good tag team wrestling. It's a bit easier to pull a good rating with two experienced teams in the ring.

These teams (probably) could be pushed pretty quickly into main events.

Diamond Dallas Page is a main eventer on the roster and his team with Kanyon could be a huge threat. 

Harlem Heat (Booker T and Stevie Ray) both start really over and have a lot of experience working together.

Lance Storm and Chris Candido were a great tag team and both guys can really go in the ring. Storm also teamed with Mike Awesome for a while, who is decent in the ring and starts pretty over. I would push those three guys as your top heels. I would bring in Sunny and Bill Alfonso to work as mouthpieces for the group as none of these three can cut promos well. 

Alfonso can also referee on the card, so he won't rack up show costs -- you'll probably want a second referee anyway on Nitro (should it stay at two hours) and on PPV anyway to avoid the official being overworked (unless your referees start with monthly deals which I doubt). 

Kaz Hayashi would pair well with either former stablemates MEN's Teioh (I would use him under his real name Takeo Otsuka, as I doubt WCW fans would get his in-joke ring name) or Dick Togo. Teioh and Togo probably have more upside than either Jamie Noble or Jimmy Wang Yang. 

The Rock N' Roll Express (Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson) are still around and not too old at this point. They'll definitely bring up the workrate and could main event in the South East.

The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton & Stan Lane) should still be active at this point. I'd also bring in Steve Keirn, who has worked with both members. All three are great workers (should) start more over in the South East like the Rock and Roll Express. 

CW Anderson & Steve Corino both start pretty over from their time in ECW and come with a ready-made gimmick. They're both pretty solid hands as well. 

Since you're probably going to run (most) shows in the South East, you should pick up some talents that start more over in that region. Jeff Jarrett, Jerry Lawler and Terry Funk should be available and can immediately be pushed into the main event. Lawler and Funk were still active and free agents in real life at this point -- they were a focal point in early MLW, for example. 

You should also pick up some job guys who start over in the South East. I'd start with Bob Armstrong, Buddy Landel, Dirty White Boy, Road Dogg, Steve Armstrong, Tommy Rich, Tom Prichard and Tracey Smothers as Day 1 hires. You should give these guys some wins on the B-shows (if you still have them) pre-shows, the post-shows and the undercard and also turn them relatively frequently to keep their momentum up. 

Most these guys should be pretty cheap, so having them on the pre-shows and post-shows shouldn't hurt you too much financially.

I would also bring in Juventud Guerrera to shore up the Cruiserweights and Konnan to work in the main events. Konnan in particular often starts very over in Mexico and can be used to get a really good show rating there. You can also send Konnan or Juventud to Mexico in talent trades for young, fresh talent from AAA or CMLL. 

If you have the money, I would throw everything to get Rey Mysterio Jr.  when he returns to wrestling. He's a generational talent and will start with a great tag team with Billy Kidman. 

You should definitely strike up a working agreement with Mexican companies AAA or CMLL and Japanese companies AJPW or NJPW. I'd consider co-promoting a PPV in Mexico as well with Konnan challenging for the world title.

The Second City Saints (CM Punk & Colt Cabana), The Briscoes (Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe) and Air Paris & AJ Styles are must-hires for the youth movement. I would hire Ace Steel too, he's spent a lot of time teaming with Punk and is no slouch himself. I would have all three teams take some lumps as enhancement talent before turning heel and moving up the card a year or two down the road. 

I don't think this roster can consistently beat WWE, though there are enough guys who are over that it'd be possible to score some early victories. 

Edited by ColdBloodedSausageMaker
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, sonny912 said:

Jesus this is a pretty bad roster, I mean I recognize some of these names but I think most of them were shipped off to developmental or released outright both during and after the invasion. Your gonna have to sign some big-names if you want this to work.

Some like sting, flair, mysterio, Scott Steiner, the nwo and Goldberg aren't available for various reasons like their AOL contracts or injuries but their are some who could help, first and foremost is Jeff Jarrett, he's contract was with wcw instead of AOL but was publicly fired by Vince cause of a dispute they had at the time. not sure if he'll have the same problems with shane but he could be the closest to a top heel if you sign him. The two top guys at the moment, booker t and ddp are both faces so unless you turn one heel you'll need someone for them to feud against.

Other former wwf/wcw/ecw alumni to sign include the mexicools juventud Guerrera, Psychosis and super crazy, road Dogg, konnan, Norman smiley, Crowbar devon storm, disco inferno, gangrel, Jerry lynn, shane Douglas, sabu, sandman, balls Mahoney, the f.b.i little Guido and Tony mamaluke, Masato Tanaka, Terry Funk, Steve corino, Mikey whipwreck, kronik the Brian's Clark and adams, nova and the blue meanie, Ron killings, taka michinoku, Dan Severn, Ken Shamrock, Ernest the cat Miller, and ultimo dragon. You have to sign all these guys but having some of them will help.

6 hours ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

I actually think WCW starts in a decent place if you shift towards a more wrestling-friendly product.

DDP and Booker T are the obvious stars and are great in the ring.

Lance Storm and Kanyon are also really good and have a decent push.

Young guys like Kaz Hayashi and Shane Helms definitely could fill a bigger role. 

I'd start with focusing on some good tag team wrestling. It's a bit easier to pull a good rating with two experienced teams in the ring.

These teams (probably) could be pushed pretty quickly into main events.

Diamond Dallas Page is a main eventer on the roster and his team with Kanyon could be a huge threat. 

Harlem Heat (Booker T and Stevie Ray) both start really over and have a lot of experience working together.

Lance Storm and Chris Candido were a great tag team and both guys can really go in the ring. Storm also teamed with Mike Awesome for a while, who is decent in the ring and starts pretty over. I would push those three guys as your top heels. I would bring in Sunny and Bill Alfonso to work as mouthpieces for the group as none of these three can cut promos well. 

Alfonso can also referee on the card, so he won't rack up show costs -- you'll probably want a second referee anyway on Nitro (should it stay at two hours) and on PPV anyway to avoid the official being overworked (unless your referees start with monthly deals which I doubt). 

Kaz Hayashi would pair well with either former stablemates MEN's Teioh (I would use him under his real name Takeo Otsuka, as I doubt WCW fans would get his in-joke ring name) or Dick Togo. Teioh and Togo probably have more upside than either Jamie Noble or Jimmy Wang Yang. 

The Rock N' Roll Express (Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson) are still around and not too old at this point. They'll definitely bring up the workrate and could main event in the South East.

The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton & Stan Lane) should still be active at this point. I'd also bring in Steve Keirn, who has worked with both members. All three are great workers (should) start more over in the South East like the Rock and Roll Express. 

CW Anderson & Steve Corino both start pretty over from their time in ECW and come with a ready-made gimmick. They're both pretty solid hands as well. 

Since you're probably going to run (most) shows in the South East, you should pick up some talents that start more over in that region. Jeff Jarrett, Jerry Lawler and Terry Funk should be available and can immediately be pushed into the main event. Lawler and Funk were still active and free agents in real life at this point -- they were a focal point in early MLW, for example. 

You should also pick up some job guys who start over in the South East. I'd start with Bob Armstrong, Buddy Landel, Dirty White Boy, Road Dogg, Steve Armstrong, Tommy Rich, Tom Prichard and Tracey Smothers as Day 1 hires. You should give these guys some wins on the B-shows (if you still have them) pre-shows, the post-shows and the undercard and also turn them relatively frequently to keep their momentum up. 

Most these guys should be pretty cheap, so having them on the pre-shows and post-shows shouldn't hurt you too much financially.

I would also bring in Juventud Guerrera to shore up the Cruiserweights and Konnan to work in the main events. Konnan in particular often starts very over in Mexico and can be used to get a really good show rating there. You can also send Konnan or Juventud to Mexico in talent trades for young, fresh talent from AAA or CMLL. 

If you have the money, I would throw everything to get Rey Mysterio Jr.  when he returns to wrestling. He's a generational talent and will start with a great tag team with Billy Kidman. 

You should definitely strike up a working agreement with Mexican companies AAA or CMLL and Japanese companies AJPW or NJPW. I'd consider co-promoting a PPV in Mexico as well with Konnan challenging for the world title.

The Second City Saints (CM Punk & Colt Cabana), The Briscoes (Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe) and Air Paris & AJ Styles are must-hires for the youth movement. I would hire Ace Steel too, he's spent a lot of time teaming with Punk and is no slouch himself. I would have all three teams take some lumps as enhancement talent before turning heel and moving up the card a year or two down the road. 

I don't think this roster can consistently beat WWE, though there are enough guys who are over that it'd be possible to score some early victories. 

Thanks guys, I signed a few of these guys as Day 1 hires and have a few more potentially lined up in the next few weeks. 

AAA/CMLL/AJPW/NJPW agreement is something I hadn't really considered so I'll look into that.

I think in the short term WWF/E have a massively better roster but for the interim we'll just have one 2 hour TV show and I think we can get consistent ratings and put on some decent monthly PPVs to get the income in. 

WCW have announced a list of additions to their roster ahead of their debut on FX in a late night slot this coming Wednesday. 

c6c9b978c83825fe8cdb9b5e7d3ede97.png

Shane McMahon was clearly keen to bolster the roster both in the ring and outside of it, with two road agents in JJ Dillon and the iconic Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat adding experience behind the scenes. The announcement also sees referee Scott Armstrong signing on and -  perhaps the most noteworthy for everyone who will be tuning into Nitro on Wednesday, Tony Schiavone will be at the announce desk, presumably with Scot Hudson and Arn Anderson. 

In the ring there are some familiar faces as the legendary Terry Funk joins the roster, with it thought by some that he will also act as a road agent behind the scenes for the company. Also joining the ranks are former U.S champion Curt Hennig and Stevie Ray, the brother and tag-team partner of current WCW World and U.S champion Booker T. Stevie Ray is of course a 10 time tag team champion and is another experienced pro to join the locker room.

It looks like Shane O'Mac was keen to add to his tag division as the announcement sees the surprise arrival of the U.S Express (Barry Windham & Mike Rotunda), it is thought that WWF owns that name, as well as the American Express name, so it is not clear what name they will use for them but a source close to Barry Windham claimed he was excited to be tagging with with his brother-in-law again for the first time in over 15 years. WCW have also added the Harris Twins, Don and Ron, as well as The F.B.I. (Little Guido and Tony Mamaluke). 

Some exciting high-flyers also appear to have been added to the roster perhaps to help improve the Cruiserweight division. WCW fans will recognize the likes of Juventud Guerrera, Psychosis and Super Crazy, but they will also get more acquainted with the now defunct former ECW lightweights Kid Kash and Tajiri. A second chance appears to have been given to two younger high-flyers who were previously under contract with WCW prior to the takeover, as AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels also sign on. 

It is not clear if Shane McMahon plans to bring back a Women's Championship within WCW, but he has added to an almost non-existent women's division by signing on former WCW Women's champion Akira Hokuto, as well as the Hawaii native and formerly WWF contracted Malia Hosaka. 2 former ECW employees Dawn Marie and Francine have also joined the company, although it is not clear if this will be in a managerial capacity or if they will actually be used in the ring too.

Konnan signs on with NJPW

One man who won't be joining Shane McMahon's new WCW project on FX is Konnan who has signed on with New Japan. It is rumoured that WCW were interested in him and did offer a substantial contract to the former WCW U.S, Tag Team and T.V champion but he turned them down. WCW have refused to comment on speculation that Konnan had doubts about how genuine Shane McMahon's takeover of the company was and that he feared it would soon be merged with WWF, instead opting for what he saw as a "safer" bet in Japan.

2 hours ago, sonny912 said:

You know their's another team you can sign up for wcw, wildcat Chris Harris and cowboy James storm.

James Storm is definitely on my radar to look at bringing in at some point. Think for the moment we're okay with tag-teams as I have maybe 1-2 others on the cards as well that are bother "new" creations I've come up with.

Day 1 Roster (pre-first Nitro) 

Champions: 

WCW World Heavyweight: Booker T

WCW United States: Booker T

WCW Cruiserweight: Shane Helms

WCW World Tag Team: Sean O'Haire & Chuck Palumbo

Men:

AJ Styles
Barry Windham
Billy Kidman 
Booker T
Buff Bagwell
Chavo Guerrero Jr
Christopher Daniels
Chuck Palumbo
Curt Hennig
Dave Taylor
David Flair 
DDP
Don Harris
Elix Skipper
Evan Karagias
Fit Finlay
Hugh Morrus
Jamie Knoble
Jason Jett
Jimmy Yang
Johnny The Bull
Juventud Guerrera
Kanyon
Kaz Hayashi
Kid Kash
Kid Romeo
Kwee Wee
Lance Storm
Lash LeRoux
Little Guido
Mark Jindrak
Mike Awesome
Mike Rotunda
Mike Sanders
Psychosis
Reno
Ron Harris
Sean O'Haire
Shane Helms
Shannon Moore
Shawn Stasiak
Stevie Ray
Super Crazy
Tajiri
Terry Funk
The Wall (In rehab)
Tony Mamaluke

Tag Teams: 

3 Count (Evan Karagias & Shannon Moore)
Barry Windham & Mike Rotunda
DDP & Kanyon
Elix Skipper & Kid Romeo
Fit Finlay & Dave Taylor
Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray)
Mark Jindrak & Shawn Stasiak
Sean 0'Haire & Chuck Palumbo
The F.B.I (Little Guido & Tony Mamaluke)
The Harris Twins (Don Harris & Ron Harris)
The Jung Dragons
Team Canada (Lance Storm & Mike Awesome)

Managers:

Sharmell managing Booker T
Stacy Keibler managing Shawn Stasiak
Torrie Wilson managing Billy Kidman

Women: 

Akira Hokuto
Dawn Marie
Malia Hosaka
Sharmell
Stacy Keibler
Torrie Wilson

CEO/Owner: 

Shane McMahon

Announcers:

Arn Anderson
Scott Hudson
Tony Schiavone

Refs: 

Billy Silverman
Charles Robinson
Nick Patrick
Scott Armstrong

Backroom/Road Agents: 

Dave Taylor
Fit Finlay
JJ Dillon
Johnny Ace
Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat
Terry Funk

Edited by PH71

For signings, the biggest most obvious one I always think basically everyone should sign with the mod is Rob Van Dam. He's not the most wrestler available (is it Curt Hennig? I'd have to check) but he's properly one of the best workers in the data.

Edited by MrCanada
  • Like 1

The South East is a really forgiving area to run a wrestling promotion in RW TEW. Between SMW and USPW alums, there are a bunch of guys who are over there and not elsewhere. 

Windham & Rotunda are both great pickups even relatively late in their careers. 

5 hours ago, MrCanada said:

For signings, the biggest most obvious one I always think basically everyone should sign with the mod is Rob Van Dam. He's not the most wrestler available (is it Curt Hennig? I'd have to check) but he's properly one of the best workers in the data.

If Rob Van Dam isn't signed by WWF, he'd be my first signing. RVD was revolutionary. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

Bigelow's can't sign yet because he refused a contract buyout from AOL/Time Warner.

I assume he'll be one of the first names when June 2002 rolls around and he can accept offers again.

I don't think bam bam had an AOL contract, pretty sure he had a normal contract like everyone else but wwf didn't sign him cause they didn't think their was a place on the card for him.

BTW why'd you sign Windham and rotunda? Shouldn't they be in semi retirement around this time?

3 hours ago, sonny912 said:

I don't think bam bam had an AOL contract, pretty sure he had a normal contract like everyone else but wwf didn't sign him cause they didn't think their was a place on the card for him.

BTW why'd you sign Windham and rotunda? Shouldn't they be in semi retirement around this time?

From what I saw online Windham and Rotunda were dotting around the U.S indies and Japan for a few more years in the early 2000s. They're both fairly over in the South and pretty decent workers, at this stage in their career I don't have plans to build the division around them but I think they'll be quite handy/safe mid level guys for the 2 year contracts they've got.

6 hours ago, PH71 said:

From what I saw online Windham and Rotunda were dotting around the U.S indies and Japan for a few more years in the early 2000s. They're both fairly over in the South and pretty decent workers, at this stage in their career I don't have plans to build the division around them but I think they'll be quite handy/safe mid level guys for the 2 year contracts they've got.

Okay, you know I think I have an idea on what you can do with them. round this time on the indies Windham was part of a faction with Steve corino and cw Anderson called the extreme horsemen. Signing those two along with Don Cyrus calls to act as the mouthpiece and Have rotunda take the 4th spot in the group and you'll have something for them to work with and give booker and ddp a gang of heels to fight with.

2 minutes ago, sonny912 said:

Okay, you know I think I have an idea on what you can do with them. round this time on the indies Windham was part of a faction with Steve corino and cw Anderson called the extreme horsemen. Signing those two along with Don Cyrus calls to act as the mouthpiece and Have rotunda take the 4th spot in the group and you'll have something for them to work with and give booker and ddp a gang of heels to fight with.

I didn't know Windham was part of the extreme horsemen. I think the MLW Version had Corino, CW Anderson and Simon Diamond. 

Windham spent a decent amount of time with the Horsemen in late-80s WCW. From what I've seen, he was a good fit with the group -- he didn't feel out of place like Sting did. 

I agree Windham and Rotunda would be a good fit. Rotunda's great at playing a cocky rich guy -- when you think about it, "cocky rich guys" were what the Horsemen gimmick boiled down to.

Windham is a former horsemen member and he's teaming with his brother (in-law) Mike Rotunda. Just like the Andersons did long ago. I like that this idea would provide the Horsemen with some much needed continuity. 

I'd consider having Rotunda work as Barry's brother Mike Windham. Kind of like how Jimmy Garvin got his ring name from his step-dad Ron Garvin, the real family ties are reflected in Kayfabe.

You could always have JJ Dillion -- the original manager in the Horsemen -- as your mouthpiece. 

I still think there are a couple guys higher in the pecking order than Windham and Rotunda right now. The team just isn't established in the main event yet. 

Lance Storm and Mike Awesome probably start as the top heels in the company. Packaged with a good manager and the right gimmick, Storm could absolutely carry the company at this point -- he did for a while in 2000. He was that good.

Personally I think they should've kept Windham face and gave Eddie gilbert his spot in the horsemen instead, hot stuff was arguably the top heel of bill watts's uwf and already had experience working with heel stables thanks to his hot stuff international. It seemed really weird the WCW wanted him to be a face for some reason.

And I'd prefer callis then dillion, it may have the horsemen name but it's still corino's stable. And I'd think he'd prefer Cyrus the virus thanks to them both working for the network in ecw. Maybe Lance Storm could work with them? He wasn't a full member but the impact players were allies in the beginning.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sonny912 said:

Personally I think they should've kept Windham face and gave Eddie gilbert his spot in the horsemen instead, hot stuff was arguably the top heel of bill watts's uwf and already had experience working with heel stables thanks to his hot stuff international. It seemed really weird the WCW wanted him to be a face for some reason.

And I'd prefer callis then dillion, it may have the horsemen name but it's still corino's stable. And I'd think he'd prefer Cyrus the virus thanks to them both working for the network in ecw. Maybe Lance Storm could work with them? He wasn't a full member but the impact players were allies in the beginning.

I don't think Cyrus fits well in the Horsemen role. A manager in the Horsemen provides support/interference and doesn't lead the group like Cyrus does. 

Since CW is a kayfabe Anderson member, Arn Anderson makes a lot of sense. Ole had a similar manager role in 90s WCW. 

Storm starts in a tag team with Mike Awesome already. Awesome & Storm might be a good replacement for Windham and Rotunda, but I don't think there is room for all four guys in The Horsemen. The stable doesn't need two tag teams and two enforcers. 

You could put Corino, a Canadian, with Team Canada, and have Arn Anderson join the faction as an American Turncoat, dragging his kayfabe relative CW Anderson into the group with him. Sort of like how Jim Duggan joined Team Canada back in the day. 

Few things are more American than an Anderson brother (maybe apple pie). 

Minnesota, after all, is a lot closer to Canada than Atlanta. You could always have Anderson "discover" a relative from Alberta who met his wife on a shopping trip across the border.

Candido could instead re-form the Jersey Triad with DDP and Kanyon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

I don't think Cyrus fits well in the Horsemen role. A manager in the Horsemen provides support/interference and doesn't lead the group like Cyrus does. 

Since CW is a kayfabe Anderson member, Arn Anderson makes a lot of sense. Ole had a similar manager role in 90s WCW. 

Storm starts in a tag team with Mike Awesome already. Awesome & Storm might be a good replacement for Windham and Rotunda, but I don't think there is room for all four guys in The Horsemen. The stable doesn't need two tag teams and two enforcers. 

You could put Corino, a Canadian, with Team Canada, and have Arn Anderson join the faction as an American Turncoat, dragging his kayfabe relative CW Anderson into the group with him. Sort of like how Jim Duggan joined Team Canada back in the day. 

Few things are more American than an Anderson brother (maybe apple pie). 

Minnesota, after all, is a lot closer to Canada than Atlanta. You could always have Anderson "discover" a relative from Alberta who met his wife on a shopping trip across the border.

Candido could instead re-form the Jersey Triad with DDP and Kanyon.

Cyrus can provide support/interference, he's been helping Kenny omega with world title hunt in other promotions right now.

I didn't say Lance and Team Canada would join them, I said they would be allies. Didn't know corino was Canadian though, but I &e joined he'd probably pull a starscream and try to take control of the stable, pointing out that the king of old school and former ecw world champion(a title Lance did not win in his time with the company as Steve would frequently point out) was second banana too no one.

image.png.af9f033992a5565a0fef95a26f0e3b28.png

Nitro Episode 1: 

Wednesday 2nd May 2001

Live late-night on FX

8,511 crowd at the Jacksonville Memorial Coliseum 

------

Runaway - Linkin Park (Hybrid Theory) - YouTube

Show opens up with Linkin Park's 'Runaway' and some fireworks

Tony Schiavone, Scott Hudson and Arn Anderson hyping up the return of Nitro and showing shots of an excited crowd.

------

For the Love of Money - YouTube

Shane McMahon enters to a huge pop with a scattering of boos here and there and makes his way down to the ring. 

Shane welcomes fans in the arena and the TV back to Nitro and how excited he is to get WCW its own TV deal on FX. 

He addresses fans who don't believe this is genuine and that it is just a Vince/WWF feeder project. Says that he couldn't use his own theme music (maybe he'll have to sign Jim Johnson) and mentions a few Shane O'Mac signs, says you won't see him using that nickname here as WWF trademarked it!

Shane says this is the real deal. He won't lie and say he's been a WCW fanboy or hoped they wouldn't go out of business in the past (boos) but this was not his Dad's idea. This is not a WWF project where in a few months you'll see some third-rate invasion angle with WWF guys and WCW guys invading each others show (some boos to this) this is a WCW project and Shane's goal is to take WCW back to the top!

WCW is his chance to show the world and his Dad that he's not just the future of wrestling promoting but he's the best in the business today! He's not just a daredevil risk-taker in a wrestling ring, but behind the scenes too! 

Shane says WCW is back with a bang and announces their first PPV back in business will be WCW Big Bang! Sunday May 27th! Shane says he wants this PPV to announce to the world that WCW is back and Shane McMahon is not here to take part but he's here to take-over! 

With that in mind Shane says he's going to waste no time in announcing Big Bang's main event. First of all Shane tells the fans to give it up for their WCW double crown World and U.S champion...Booker T!

WCW Booker T Theme - YouTube

Booker T comes out with both belts to a huge pop from the fans in the arena. Booker T gets in the ring with Shane McMahon and skeptically shakes his hand. Shane hypes up Booker T as double crown champion. Booker T cuts a promo thanking the fans and saying he agrees with some who aren't sure about Shane or how genuine this project is, but he will give his all for WCW and the two prestigious titles that he holds. Booker T makes a comment about how he didn't even have to sleep with the bosses daughter to win two titles, fans go wild for this dig at WWF/Triple H. Shane laughs a bit but doesn't seem super happy and makes a comment about how "that's still my sister!" 

Booker T then asks who he will face in the main event at Big Bang.

Shane says he wants to start off with a bang at Big Bang and who better to challenge Booker T in the main event than this man...

WCW DDP Theme Song Self High Five - YouTube

Crowd goes nuts for DDP

DDP cuts short promo how he's excited for WCW to be back and at Big Bang he's going to beat Booker and equal his 4 times as champion and become U.S champion whilst he's at it! 

Booker T says he respects DDP and is a fighting champion but he finds it a bit odd that DDP just gets a shot at both titles without having earned either. 

Shane McMahon says Booker is right. DDP hasn't earned the right to challenge for both titles. DDP and Booker T will main event Big Bang for the WCW World Heavyweight championship, but the WCW United States Championship is another story altogether. Shane says he respects Booker wanting to be a fighting champion and he will give him the chance to prove just that.

Shane mentions it being the US Title, what better way to decide who will challenge for the US title than with one of America's favourite past-times...gambling! 

Shane gets out a deck of playing cards. Shane says he's already told Tony Schiavone (welcome back by the way) a random card... and he will be letting everybody on the roster pick a card at random and that for the main event of Nitro's return... Booker T will defend the WCW United States championship against the person with that card! 

Shane drops the mic and goes to leave the ring but not before DDP stops him to ask for a first pick at the deck of cards. The commentary team mention maybe the main event of the first Nitro could even be Booker T vs DDP for the US title!

Shane McMahon, Booker T & DDP freestyle (88 rated) 

-----------------------------

Sean O'Haire and Chuck Palumbo backstage talking to Johnny Ace and JJ Dillon. O'Haire says Booker T isn't the only fighting champion in WCW and they want to know who they'll defend the titles against at Big Bang. Johnny Ace says Shane's the boss, not him or JJ and from what he's heard there might be a new booker in town from next week's Nitro. 

Mid-way through the promo Shane returns to his office and asks what's going on. Johnny Ace explains and Shane says, if you're so keen on defending those titles, forget Big Bang! You can defend them tonight! You just get out there later and I'll worry about finding a team to face you! 

Sean O'Haire and Chuck Palumbo both take a card from Shane and then leave.

Shane looks stressed and asks Johnny if he's finalised getting a GM sorted to help handle the booking of the show whilst he deals with production etc. Johnny says he'll get it done whatever it takes. Shane thanks his head of talent relations and then says how are you getting on with the hottest free agent in wrestling? Johnny Ace says he's working on that too but there's a lot of competition. Shane says he doesn't give a damn how much it costs he wants him at next week's Nitro to show the world WCW is the future of this industry! 

Shane rushes off. JJ says to Johnny "well I know who the free agent is, but who are we hiring to be the new GM?" 

Johnny whispers it to JJ who reacts furiously and can't believe it! What?!? You've got to be kidding me!

Freestyle segment with Sean O'Haire, Chuck Palumbo, Johnny Ace, JJ Dillon and Shane McMahon (70 rated)

----------------------------------------

Match 1: 

Shane Helms (C) vs AJ Styles for the WCW Cruiserweight Title

AJ Styles 2003-2006 TNA Theme Song - YouTube

WCW: "Sugar" Shane Helms [Theme Song] - "Vertebreaker" - YouTube

In the first match of the night we see Cruiserweight champion Shane Helms put his title on the line against rookie young talent AJ Styles. It's a fairly open match with a nice amount of high-spots throughout which gets the crowd interested. At various points AJ looks like maybe he could pull off an upset but eventually Shane Helms finds his opening and gets the clean win. 

Shane Helms retains the title via pinfall (8.04 minutes) - (56 rated)

Jamie Knoble backstage with Kid Kash watching the monitor. Jamie mentions how Shane might be able to beat a rookie but he wouldn't find it so easy against someone more experienced like him. 

Buff Bagwell enters the frame flanked by Johnny 'The Bull' Stamboli. He squares up to Jamie Knoble and says I don't know if you've seen the card for tonight, but we've got a match against each other late on. You want to talk about experience and finding it easy, kid? Well we'll see who finds it easy later tonight as The Bull laughs. 

Freestyle segment with Buff Bagwell, Jamie Knoble and Kid Kash (48 rated)

---------------------------------------

Bily Kidman and Torrie Wilson are talking about what card Billy Kidman picked up for the U.S title match with Dawn Marie chilling with them. Billy says he has the Queen of Hearts and Torrie is the Queen of his Heart. Torrie laughs along. Billy is flirting with Torrie and showing off in front of Dawn Marie and says as his manager he hopes she can manage to keep his card safe. She puts in her jacket. Chavo Guerrero Jr comes into set greeting Billy and the ladies. He gives a flirty hug to Dawn Marie and politely hugs Torrie Wilson and wishes Kidman best of luck later on tonight

Freestyle segment with Billy Kidman, Torrie Wilson, Dawn Marie and Chavo Guerrero (44 rated)

Match 2: 

Team Canada (Lance Storm & Mike Awesome) vs Elix Skipper & Kid Romeo

Skipper and Romeo give a half-decent account of themselves in the match but Lance Storm especially is just too good technically for them to deal with and Storm gets the win via pinfall 

Team Canada wins via pinfall (8.27) - (57 rated)

-----------------------------------

DDP and Kanyon in the back. Kanyon says he's genuinely pleased for DDP to get the big match at Big Bang for the title. DDP says maybe if you play your cards right you might be U.S champion by then. He asks what card he got? Kanyon says the Ace of Spades but that he gets no luck so he won't get a break tonight, but either way he's got DDP's back and wishes him luck in his match which DDP says is up next so he better get ready to leave.

Chavo Guerrero comes in to congratulate DDP on being Number 1 contender and says he's rooting for him. Gives both of them an elaborate hand shake/hug type thing. 

DDP and Kanyon both looking at each other like WTF is this guy doing as Chavo goes off screen

Freestyle segment with DDP, Kanyon and Chavo - (61 rated) 

--------------------------------------

Booker T getting ready in the back. Stevie Ray comes into set looking super annoyed and flustered. Booker T pleased to see his brother and asks what's up. Stevie Ray thanks Booker for letting him borrow his car but that he had a nightmare getting to the arena and only just got here. Johnny Ace unhappy that he was late but it wasn't his fault, he had a flat tyre when he left his hotel and in the parking lot coming into the arena some guy almost rear ended Booker's car. The guy drove off before Stevie could do anything.

Booker says the important thing is he's here now and if Johnny Ace gives him trouble he'll put a word in for him. 

Curt Hennig comes into frame and shakes Booker's hand. Booker asks what he wants? Curt says he didn't come back for the money or the fame, he came back because he's never won the big one and points to the big gold belt. Curt says he might not be the biggest name on the card so he might not have got a free shot at it like DDP did, but he wants Booker to know that whether it's him or DDP who's champion he wants his shot at being a World champion and will work his ass off until he gets it

Freestyle segment with Booker T, Stevie Ray and Curt Hennig - (82 rated)

-------------------------------------

Match 3: 

DDP vs Reno

Reno WCW Custom Entrance Video - YouTube

This is a decisive win for DDP. Reno gets in a bit of offence at the start but DDP quickly gets the momentum and dispatches of him with a Diamond Cutter.

DDP wins via pinfall (5.52) - (62 rated) 

-----------------------------------------

Fit Finlay and Dave Taylor backstage. Dave Taylor saying he's not sure he wants to keep wrestling and that he'd be happy enough just being a road agent at this stage in his career helping out the younger guys and girls. Fit Finlay angry at him. Fit tells him to fix up. They can be road agents and active performers. The problem the younger talent has today is they weren't trained old school like we were, Dave. They don't know how to hit a man or kick a man. That's what we're here for and what better way to show these kids how to work then by fighting them in the ring! 

Freestyle segment with Fit Finlay and Dave Taylor - (34 rated) 

Terry Funk and Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat backstage. Ricky says he's glad that a legend like Funk has joined the company. Funk thanks him and said he's here for one last ride before his retirement. Lance Storm and Mike Awesome bursts in. Mike laughs at Funk. He says that Funk could get away with being past it in ECW but that won't cut it here. Funk says Awesome should be careful what he says about ECW as there's a lot of folks from there who ain't too happy with him. 

Awesome says that's fighting talk and he'll show Funk and anyone else from ECW what happens when they mess him with. He challenges Funk to a match next week and Funk accepts.

Freestyle segment with Terry Funk, Ricky Steamboat, Mike Awesome and Lance Storm - (51 rated)

Match 4: 

Buff Bagwell (with Johnny 'The Bull') vs Jamie Knoble 

Jamie Noble - Trailer Park (Entrance Theme) - YouTube

WCW Buff Bagwell 4th Theme Song - "Buff Daddy" (With Tron) - YouTube

Jamie Knoble is the underdog in this match and Buff gets in a lot of offensive moves. Johnny 'The Bull' seems to try too hard to help his friend and he gets caught by Charles Robinson trying to help Buff cheat to win which causes Johnny to be ejected. Knoble uses this distraction and nearly scores a big upset with a roll-up. A furious Buff Bagwell then gets the win but he does not look happy afterwards. 

Buff Bagwell wins via pinfall (5.48) - (53 rated)

Buff Bagwell beats up Jamie Knoble after the match and it's Windham & Rotunda who rush out to make the save. 

Barry Windham 9th WCW Theme 'Road To Glory (Underscore)' - YouTube

Post-match segment (Knoble, Buff, Windham & Rotunda) - (44 rated)

-----------------------------------------------------

Shane Helms backstage as Evan Karagias and Shannon Moore come in. They say it's time to bring 3 Count back for a Reunion Tour! Shane Helms asks if they saw him out there? First match under the Shane McMahon Nitro era and he made that rookie AJ Styles look like a chump! 3 Count dragged him down and he's moved on from that crap. He storms off. 

Freestyle segment with Shane Helms & 3 Count (Karagias & Moore) - (44 rated)

---------------------------------------------

Match 5: 

Shawn Stasiak (with Stacy Keibler) vs Jason Jett

WCW Shawn Stasiak 4th Theme Song - "Stasiak Theme" (With Tron) - YouTube

WCW Jason Jett 2nd Theme - "Jason Jett Theme" (Rec.) - YouTube

Jason Jett gives a good account of himself. Shawn Stasiak looks on the ropes at one point but Stacy intervenes, getting up on the apron and flirting with Jason Jett. This distraction helps out Stasiak massively and leads to him getting the win. Stacy laughs at Jett on the floor and blows him a kiss as Shawn Stasiak celebrates in the ring.

Shawn Stasiak wins via pinfall (5.51) - (49 rated) 

Promo Package hyping up the upcoming debut of Tajiri

Promo Video with Tajiri - (33 rated) 

Tajiri's 2001 v1 Titantron Entrance Video feat. "Imperial City" Theme [HD] - YouTube

Match 6: 

Sean O'Haire & Chuck Palumbo (C) vs The MexiCruisers (Super Crazy & Psychosis) with Juventud Guerrera  

Mexicools - theme and Titantron Video - YouTube

Chuck Palumbo & Sean O'Haire 2001 - "Freestyle Hombre" WWE WCW Entrance Theme - YouTube

An open match which lets Super Crazy and Psychosis show off their athletic and high-flying ability. O'Haire and Palumbo have to work hard for the win but ultimately retain the title when O'Haire gets the pin after they hit their finishing move on Super Crazy.

O'Haire & Palumbo retain via pinfall (8.04) 

The camera pans to backstage where a lot of wrestlers are gathered waiting for the reveal of who will get the U.S Title shot.

Billy Kidman is raging at Torrie Wilson. What do you mean you can't find my card?! 

Tony Schiavone is standing by at the entrance way for the big reveal. 

The crowd goes wild for Booker T who comes out with both titles which he proudly displays. 

Tony on the mic as the entrance theme finishes and says it gives him great pleasure to reveal that the card which Shane McMahon gave him is... The Ace of Spades! He just needs the winning wrestler to come to the entrance way with their card. 

Anderson and Hudson hyping up on commentary that they think that means it's Kanyon/Booker T in the main event.

The camera pans to backstage where Kanyon, standing with DDP, cannot find his card in his pocket. DDP is telling him to go out there. It's the Ace of Spades, Kanyon, you got your shot! But Kanyon can't find the card! 

The camera cuts back to Tony Schiavone looking a bit awkward, Booker T in the ring is annoyed at the delay. 

Suddenly, an all-smiles Chavo Guerrero Jr struts out to the entrance way and after seeming to pull out 8 or 9 cards, he finds a card and gives it to a baffled Tony Schiavone who the states anxiously "it's the Ace of Spades..." 

The camera cuts backstage to Kanyon who realises.

That bastard stole my card! He stole my card! 

Kanyon barges over to the Gorilla position where Shane is standing with a few random producers and starts screaming. A stressed out Shane is furious. What are you doing you idiot?! This is our first Nitro main event what do you want?! Speak to me after the show!

Kanyon is furious but DDP drags him away. DDP goes to speak to Shane but Shane says AFTER THE SHOW!!!! so DDP thinks better of it. 

Camera cuts back to the entrance way with Chavo Guerrero Jr waiting nervously

Tony Schiavone announces that it seems like it will in-fact be Booker T vs Chavo Guerrero Jr for the WCW United States Championship!

WCW Chavo Guerrero Last Theme - YouTube

Scott Hudson mentions this doesn't seem particularly fair and that Chavo stole Kanyon's card, but Arn says it's finders keepers and Kanyon should've held his card closer to his chest! 

------------------------------------------

Main Event / Match 7 

Booker T (with Sharmell) (C) vs Chavo Guerrero Jr for the WCW United States Championship

The crowd is hyped to see Booker T in action for the first time in the Shane McMahon era and he doesn't disappoint them with his performance in the match. Chavo gets a bit of offence in here and there but Booker dominates the match and has the crowd on his side. 

Chavo edges his way into the match purely by luck as half-way through the match there appears to be an incident in the crowd. It seems like a fairly overweight looking fan in a Luchador mask tries to jump the barrier but they get stopped by security and a few security come running out from the entrance-way to deal with it. It looks like security will grab the masked man but he fights a few of them off. 

Booker T is asking the ref WTF is going on when Chavo takes advantage and gets in his first proper run of attacking moves on Booker throughout the whole match. But Chavo is no match for Booker T and despite this distraction Booker recovers to get the Book-End and then a Scissor-Kick to get the win.

Booker T celebrates in the ring with Sharmell and raises the U.S title whilst still a bit confused and he seems to be asking Sharmell if she knows what happened in the crowd

Booker T retains via pinfall - (8.34) - (67 rated) 

Show rating: 71

0.93 TV rating (701K viewers)

Edited by PH71
  • Like 3

Reasonably happy with how the first show went (I'm slightly ahead, have already booked/completed the 2nd Nitro on the game) given it was the first one. 

I'm not super experienced with booking the angles so like the Finlay one I forgot to script it which killed it and not entirely sure on how to get the best ratings on promos/freestyle etc but Booker T, Shane and DDP all seem to smash it. I've played various parts of TEW for years and Booker and Shane putting in some of the best performances I've ever seen in promos which is great.

We got a bit punished by not having enough storylines (expectation is 2 at over 50 heat I think) but given we had no build before the show it was going to be a struggle. 

Booker T / DDP obviously a face/face feud for now but I hope the plan on that/main event feud generally will make more sense as the weeks go by. 

1 hour ago, PH71 said:

Wcw Logos

Nitro Episode 1: 

Wednesday 2nd May 2001

Live late-night on FX

8,511 crowd at the Jacksonville Memorial Coliseum 

Runaway - Linkin Park (Hybrid Theory) - YouTube

Show opens up with Linkin Park's 'Crawling' and some fireworks

Tony Schiavone, Scott Hudson and Arn Anderson hyping up the return of Nitro and showing shots of an excited crowd.

For the Love of Money - YouTube

Shane McMahon enters to a huge pop with a scattering of boos here and there and makes his way down to the ring. 

Shane welcomes fans in the arena and the TV back to Nitro and how excited he is to get WCW its own TV deal on FX. 

He addresses fans who don't believe this is genuine and that it is just a Vince/WWF feeder project. Says that he couldn't use his own theme music (maybe he'll have to sign Jim Johnson) and mentions a few Shane O'Mac signs, says you won't see him using that nickname here as WWF trademarked it!

Shane says this is the real deal. He won't lie and say he's been a WCW fanboy or hoped they wouldn't go out of business in the past (boos) but this was not his Dad's idea. This is not a WWF project where in a few months you'll see some third-rate invasion angle with WWF guys and WCW guys invading each others show (some boos to this) this is a WCW project and Shane's goal is to take WCW back to the top!

WCW is his chance to show the world and his Dad that he's not just the future of wrestling promoting but he's the best in the business today! He's not just a daredevil risk-taker in a wrestling ring, but behind the scenes too! 

Shane says WCW is back with a bang and announces their first PPV back in business will be WCW Big Bang! Sunday May 27th! Shane says he wants this PPV to announce to the world that WCW is back and Shane McMahon is not here to take part but he's here to take-over! 

With that in mind Shane says he's going to waste no time in announcing Big Bang's main event. First of all Shane tells the fans to give it up for their WCW double crown World and U.S champion...Booker T!

Booker T comes out with both belts to a huge pop from the fans in the arena. Booker T gets in the ring with Shane McMahon and skeptically shakes his hand. Shane hypes up Booker T as double crown champion. Booker T cuts a promo thanking the fans and saying he agrees with some who aren't sure about Shane or how genuine this project is, but he will give his all for WCW and the two prestigious titles that he holds. Booker T makes a comment about how he didn't even have to sleep with the bosses daughter to win two titles, fans go wild for this dig at WWF/Triple H. Shane laughs a bit but doesn't seem super happy and makes a comment about how "that's still my sister!" 

Booker T then asks who he will face in the main event at Big Bang.

Shane says he wants to start off with a bang at Big Bang and who better to challenge Booker T in the main event than this man...

Crowd goes nuts for DDP

DDP cuts short promo how he's excited for WCW to be back and at Big Bang he's going to beat Booker and equal his 4 times as champion and become U.S champion whilst he's at it! 

Booker T says he respects DDP and is a fighting champion but he finds it a bit odd that DDP just gets a shot at both titles without having earned either. 

Shane McMahon says Booker is right. DDP hasn't earned the right to challenge for both titles. DDP and Booker T will main event Big Bang for the WCW World Heavyweight championship, but the WCW United States Championship is another story altogether. Shane says he respects Booker wanting to be a fighting champion and he will give him the chance to prove just that.

Shane mentions it being the US Title, what better way to decide who will challenge for the US title than with one of America's favourite past-times...gambling! 

Shane gets out a deck of playing cards. Shane says he's already told Tony Schiavone (welcome back by the way) a random card... and he will be letting everybody on the roster pick a card at random and that for the main event of Nitro's return... Booker T will defend the WCW United States championship against the person with that card! 

Shane drops the mic and goes to leave the ring but not before DDP stops him to ask for a first pick at the deck of cards. The commentary team mention maybe the main event of the first Nitro could even be Booker T vs DDP for the US title!

Shane McMahon, Booker T & DDP freestyle (88 rated) 

-----------------------------

Sean O'Haire and Chuck Palumbo backstage talking to Johnny Ace and JJ Dillon. O'Haire says Booker T isn't the only fighting champion in WCW and they want to know who they'll defend the titles against at Big Bang. Johnny Ace says Shane's the boss, not him or JJ and from what he's heard there might be a new booker in town from next week's Nitro. 

Mid-way through the promo Shane returns to his office and asks what's going on. Johnny Ace explains and Shane says, if you're so keen on defending those titles, forget Big Bang! You can defend them tonight! You just get out there later and I'll worry about finding a team to face you! 

Sean O'Haire and Chuck Palumbo both take a card from Shane and then leave.

Shane looks stressed and asks Johnny if he's finalised getting a GM sorted to help handle the booking of the show whilst he deals with production etc. Johnny says he'll get it done whatever it takes. Shane thanks his head of talent relations and then says how are you getting on with the hottest free agent in wrestling? Johnny Ace says he's working on that too but there's a lot of competition. Shane says he doesn't give a damn how much it costs he wants him at next week's Nitro to show the world WCW is the future of this industry! 

Shane rushes off. JJ says to Johnny "well I know who the free agent is, but who are we hiring to be the new GM?" 

Johnny whispers it to JJ who reacts furiously and can't believe it! What?!? You've got to be kidding me!

Freestyle segment with Sean O'Haire, Chuck Palumbo, Johnny Ace, JJ Dillon and Shane McMahon (70 rated)

Match 1: 

Shane Helms (C) vs AJ Styles for the WCW Cruiserweight Title

AJ Styles 2003-2006 TNA Theme Song - YouTube

WCW: "Sugar" Shane Helms [Theme Song] - "Vertebreaker" - YouTube

In the first match of the night we see Cruiserweight champion Shane Helms put his title on the line against rookie young talent AJ Styles. It's a fairly open match with a nice amount of high-spots throughout which gets the crowd interested. At various points AJ looks like maybe he could pull off an upset but eventually Shane Helms finds his opening and gets the clean win. 

Shane Helms retains the title via pinfall (8.04 minutes) - (56 rated)

Jamie Knoble backstage with Kid Kash watching the monitor. Jamie mentions how Shane might be able to beat a rookie but he wouldn't find it so easy against someone more experienced like him. 

Buff Bagwell enters the frame flanked by Johnny 'The Bull' Stamboli. He squares up to Jamie Knoble and says I don't know if you've seen the card for tonight, but we've got a match against each other late on. You want to talk about experience and finding it easy, kid? Well we'll see who finds it easy later tonight as The Bull laughs. 

Freestyle segment with Buff Bagwell, Jamie Knoble and Kid Kash (48 rated)

Bily Kidman and Torrie Wilson are talking about what card Billy Kidman picked up for the U.S title match with Dawn Marie chilling with them. Billy says he has the Queen of Hearts and Torrie is the Queen of his Heart. Torrie laughs along. Billy is flirting with Torrie and showing off in front of Dawn Marie and says as his manager he hopes she can manage to keep his card safe. She puts in her jacket. Chavo Guerrero Jr comes into set greeting Billy and the ladies. He gives a flirty hug to Dawn Marie and politely hugs Torrie Wilson and wishes Kidman best of luck later on tonight

Freestyle segment with Billy Kidman, Torrie Wilson, Dawn Marie and Chavo Guerrero (44 rated)

Match 2: 

Team Canada (Lance Storm & Mike Awesome) vs Elix Skipper & Kid Romeo

Skipper and Romeo give a half-decent account of themselves in the match but Lance Storm especially is just too good technically for them to deal with and Storm gets the win via pinfall 

Team Canada wins via pinfall (8.27) - (57 rated)

-----------------------------------

DDP and Kanyon in the back. Kanyon says he's genuinely pleased for DDP to get the big match at Big Bang for the title. DDP says maybe if you play your cards right you might be U.S champion by then. He asks what card he got? Kanyon says the Ace of Spades but that he gets no luck so he won't get a break tonight, but either way he's got DDP's back and wishes him luck in his match which DDP says is up next so he better get ready to leave.

Chavo Guerrero comes in to congratulate DDP on being Number 1 contender and says he's rooting for him. Gives both of them an elaborate hand shake/hug type thing. 

DDP and Kanyon both looking at each other like WTF is this guy doing as Chavo goes off screen

Freestyle segment with DDP, Kanyon and Chavo - (61 rated) 

--------------------------------------

Booker T getting ready in the back. Stevie Ray comes into set looking super annoyed and flustered. Booker T pleased to see his brother and asks what's up. Stevie Ray thanks Booker for letting him borrow his car but that he had a nightmare getting to the arena and only just got here. Johnny Ace unhappy that he was late but it wasn't his fault, he had a flat tyre when he left his hotel and in the parking lot coming into the arena some guy almost rear ended Booker's car. The guy drove off before Stevie could do anything.

Booker says the important thing is he's here now and if Johnny Ace gives him trouble he'll put a word in for him. 

Curt Hennig comes into frame and shakes Booker's hand. Booker asks what he wants? Curt says he didn't come back for the money or the fame, he came back because he's never won the big one and points to the big gold belt. Curt says he might not be the biggest name on the card so he might not have got a free shot at it like DDP did, but he wants Booker to know that whether it's him or DDP who's champion he wants his shot at being a World champion and will work his ass off until he gets it

Freestyle segment with Booker T, Stevie Ray and Curt Hennig - (82 rated)

-------------------------------------

Match 3: 

DDP vs Reno

Reno WCW Custom Entrance Video - YouTube

This is a decisive win for DDP. Reno gets in a bit of offence at the start but DDP quickly gets the momentum and dispatches of him with a Diamond Cutter.

DDP wins via pinfall (5.52) - (62 rated) 

Fit Finlay and Dave Taylor backstage. Dave Taylor saying he's not sure he wants to keep wrestling and that he'd be happy enough just being a road agent at this stage in his career helping out the younger guys and girls. Fit Finlay angry at him. Fit tells him to fix up. They can be road agents and active performers. The problem the younger talent has today is they weren't trained old school like we were, Dave. They don't know how to hit a man or kick a man. That's what we're here for and what better way to show these kids how to work then by fighting them in the ring! 

Freestyle segment with Fit Finlay and Dave Taylor - (34 rated) 

* - I forgot to press scripted on this one and their performances were a bit of a disaster. Hoping they're not usually that bad when scripted and should be better in future stuff, they'll be mainly in-ring rather than cutting promos anyway but needed to set the storyline up with this segment

Terry Funk and Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat backstage. Ricky says he's glad that a legend like Funk has joined the company. Funk thanks him and said he's here for one last ride before his retirement. Lance Storm and Mike Awesome bursts in. Mike laughs at Funk. He says that Funk could get away with being past it in ECW but that won't cut it here. Funk says Awesome should be careful what he says about ECW as there's a lot of folks from there who ain't too happy with him. 

Awesome says that's fighting talk and he'll show Funk and anyone else from ECW what happens when they mess him with. He challenges Funk to a match next week and Funk accepts.

Freestyle segment with Terry Funk, Ricky Steamboat, Mike Awesome and Lance Storm - (51 rated)

Match 4: 

Buff Bagwell (with Johnny 'The Bull') vs Jamie Knoble 

Jamie Noble - Trailer Park (Entrance Theme) - YouTube

WCW Buff Bagwell 4th Theme Song - "Buff Daddy" (With Tron) - YouTube

Jamie Knoble is the underdog in this match and Buff gets in a lot of offensive moves. Johnny 'The Bull' seems to try too hard to help his friend and he gets caught by Charles Robinson trying to help Buff cheat to win which causes Johnny to be ejected. Knoble uses this distraction and nearly scores a big upset with a roll-up. A furious Buff Bagwell then gets the win but he does not look happy afterwards. 

Buff Bagwell wins via pinfall (5.48) - (53 rated)

Buff Bagwell beats up Jamie Knoble after the match and it's Windham & Rotunda who rush out to make the save. 

Barry Windham 9th WCW Theme 'Road To Glory (Underscore)' - YouTube

Post-match segment (Knoble, Buff, Windham & Rotunda) - (44 rated)

-----------------------------------------------------

Shane Helms backstage as Evan Karagias and Shannon Moore come in. They say it's time to bring 3 Count back for a Reunion Tour! Shane Helms asks if they saw him out there? First match under the Shane McMahon Nitro era and he made that rookie AJ Styles look like a chump! 3 Count dragged him down and he's moved on from that crap. He storms off. 

Freestyle segment with Shane Helms & 3 Count (Karagias & Moore) - (44 rated)

---------------------------------------------

Match 5: 

Shawn Stasiak (with Stacy Keibler) vs Jason Jett

WCW Shawn Stasiak 4th Theme Song - "Stasiak Theme" (With Tron) - YouTube

WCW Jason Jett 2nd Theme - "Jason Jett Theme" (Rec.) - YouTube

Jason Jett gives a good account of himself. Shawn Stasiak looks on the ropes at one point but Stacy intervenes, getting up on the apron and flirting with Jason Jett. This distraction helps out Stasiak massively and leads to him getting the win. Stacy laughs at Jett on the floor and blows him a kiss as Shawn Stasiak celebrates in the ring.

Shawn Stasiak wins via pinfall (5.51) - (49 rated) 

Promo Package hyping up the upcoming debut of Tajiri

Promo Video with Tajiri - (33 rated) 

Tajiri's 2001 v1 Titantron Entrance Video feat. "Imperial City" Theme [HD] - YouTube

Match 6: 

Sean O'Haire & Chuck Palumbo (C) vs The MexiCruisers (Super Crazy & Psychosis) with Juventud Guerrera  

Mexicools - theme and Titantron Video - YouTube

Chuck Palumbo & Sean O'Haire 2001 - "Freestyle Hombre" WWE WCW Entrance Theme - YouTube

An open match which lets Super Crazy and Psychosis show off their athletic and high-flying ability. O'Haire and Palumbo have to work hard for the win but ultimately retain the title when O'Haire gets the pin after they hit their finishing move on Super Crazy.

O'Haire & Palumbo retain via pinfall (8.04) 

The camera pans to backstage where a lot of wrestlers are gathered waiting for the reveal of who will get the U.S Title shot.

Billy Kidman is raging at Torrie Wilson. What do you mean you can't find my card?! 

Tony Schiavone is standing by at the entrance way for the big reveal. 

The crowd goes wild for Booker T who comes out with both titles which he proudly displays. 

Tony on the mic as the entrance theme finishes and says it gives him great pleasure to reveal that the card which Shane McMahon gave him is... The Ace of Spades! He just needs the winning wrestler to come to the entrance way with their card. 

Anderson and Hudson hyping up on commentary that they think that means it's Kanyon/Booker T in the main event.

The camera pans to backstage where Kanyon, standing with DDP, cannot find his card in his pocket. DDP is telling him to go out there. It's the Ace of Spades, Kanyon, you got your shot! But Kanyon can't find the card! 

The camera cuts back to Tony Schiavone looking a bit awkward, Booker T in the ring is annoyed at the delay. 

Suddenly, an all-smiles Chavo Guerrero Jr struts out to the entrance way and after seeming to pull out 8 or 9 cards, he finds a card and gives it to a baffled Tony Schiavone who the states anxiously "it's the Ace of Spades..." 

The camera cuts backstage to Kanyon who realises.

That bastard stole my card! He stole my card! 

Kanyon barges over to the Gorilla position where Shane is standing with a few random producers and starts screaming. A stressed out Shane is furious. What are you doing you idiot?! This is our first Nitro main event what do you want?! Speak to me after the show!

Kanyon is furious but DDP drags him away. DDP goes to speak to Shane but Shane says AFTER THE SHOW!!!! so DDP thinks better of it. 

Camera cuts back to the entrance way with Chavo Guerrero Jr waiting nervously

Tony Schiavone announces that it seems like it will in-fact be Booker T vs Chavo Guerrero Jr for the WCW United States Championship!

WCW Chavo Guerrero Last Theme - YouTube

Scott Hudson mentions this doesn't seem particularly fair and that Chavo stole Kanyon's card, but Arn says it's finders keepers and Kanyon should've held his card closer to his chest! 

Main Event / Match 7 

Booker T (with Sharmell) (C) vs Chavo Guerrero Jr for the WCW United States Championship

The crowd is hyped to see Booker T in action for the first time in the Shane McMahon era and he doesn't disappoint them with his performance in the match. Chavo gets a bit of offence in here and there but Booker dominates the match and has the crowd on his side. 

Chavo edges his way into the match purely by luck as half-way through the match there appears to be an incident in the crowd. It seems like a fairly overweight looking fan in a Luchador mask tries to jump the barrier but they get stopped by security and a few security come running out from the entrance-way to deal with it. It looks like security will grab the masked man but he fights a few of them off. 

Booker T is asking the ref WTF is going on when Chavo takes advantage and gets in his first proper run of attacking moves on Booker throughout the whole match. But Chavo is no match for Booker T and despite this distraction Booker recovers to get the Book-End and then a Scissor-Kick to get the win.

Booker T celebrates in the ring with Sharmell and raises the U.S title whilst still a bit confused and he seems to be asking Sharmell if she knows what happened in the crowd

Booker T retains via pinfall - (8.34) - (67 rated) 

Show rating: 71

0.93 TV rating (701K viewers)

----------------------------

Nice work. Good to see Chavo live up to the family motto. Seeing Kash and noble together reminds me of how they were a short-lived tag team on smackdown called the pitbulls around 05-06, Wonder if that will happen early hear. Weird seeing Buff Bagwell hang out with Johnny the bull for some reason. Seeing the US express come to the rescue is nice, think i'd like to see them feud with team Canada or Finlay and taylor. Awesome vs Funk ecw rules match sounds cool but can Terry take it? Helms is pretty much the current face of the Cruiserweights, especially with Rey Misterio gone for now, Wonder if 3 count are gonna feud with him as payback for quitting the band.

Enjoyed the show overall. 

Barry Windham is a guy who could still be a huge star in the company. Hope he continues to get featured.

Booker T absolutely is your "Ace" and it's worth checking if he'd make a good figurehead. The guy has always been money and he's in his prime right now. 

Enjoy that you've done a reset and the existing storylines and canon are largely wiped clean. WCW from that period was a rough watch at best and there needed to be a new canon.

If Johnny Ace is still wrestling, you could always pair him up with Shane Douglas (should you sign him). Ace was a star in Japan and could help a show should you run there -- or, you could maybe send Ace over in a talent trade to get access to NJPW or AJPW Talent.