NWA 92: Reclaiming the Glory

Despite Ted Turner backing, In 1991, WCW had been facing financial and creative challenges. The ratings have been poor, and internal conflicts within the management have reached a breaking point. Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff, each with their own vision for the industry, find themselves at odds with the direction WCW is heading and decide to use their creativity, business sense, and drive to re-launch the National Wrestling Alliance as a promotion based in Orlando, Florida. Heyman and Bischoff, recognized the potential and historic significance of the NWA, decide to join forces and pool their resources to purchase the rights to the NWA. Their vision is to restore the NWA to its former glory, creating a wrestling promotion that emphasizes compelling storylines, innovative wrestling styles, and a strong emphasis on the art of professional wrestling. They have announced NWA Genesis, which takes place on pay-per-view live from the Orlando Arena in Orlando, Florida. At NWA Genesis, there will be a tournament to crown the new World Heavyweight Champion of the new era. 

image.jpeg

• Like 6

An Interesting concept, in theory they could cover their own mistakes that drove both their promotions to shut down in the first place. When you mean they own the nwa do you mean they have wcw and it's roster or is it a separate promotion they have to build from the ground up?

6 minutes ago, sonny912 said:

An Interesting concept, in theory they could cover their own mistakes that drove both their promotions to shut down in the first place. When you mean they own the nwa do you mean they have wcw and it's roster or is it a separate promotion they have to build from the ground up?

They left WCW and launched NWA as a promotion instead of alliance. Despite the unrealistic nature, they are starting off at the bare minimum Medium size. 59 pop in South East and 35 in Mid Atlantic.

Edited by Jaysin

1 hour ago, Jaysin said:

They left WCW and launched NWA as a promotion instead of alliance. Despite the unrealistic nature, they are starting off at the bare minimum Medium size. 59 pop in South East and 35 in Mid Atlantic.

Ah, so it's basically ecw when it was Eastern instead of extreme but with Bischoff's business savvy and connections to help with finances.

Which given the time now means we're looking at a possible initial roster that may include Eddie gilbert, Johnny hot body, ivan koloff, Don muraco, the pitbulls, Stevie richards, jt Smith, Jimmy snuka, Tony Stetson, Larry Winters, abdullah the butcher, Mike awesome, the bad breed Axl and Ian rotten, Chris candido, bill demott, shane Douglas, Tommy dreamer, Terry funk,, Johnny Gunn, the headhunters, Jason knight, peaches(sandman's wife), the public enemy, sabu, sandman, Joey styles, Kevin Sullivan, Taz, 2 cold Scorpio, 911, Chris Benoit, the bruise Brothers, Ron and Don Harris, cactus jack, Dean malenko, Brian pillman, Devon storm and Mikey whipwreck. It honestly sound pretty cool to me.

If Bischoff's gone from wcw does that mean Jim Ross won't go to wwf? Will he become the new head booker? He did leave cause Eric got promoted instead him after all, at least that's what I read.

Will Eric try to sway Hogan and Savage to nwa like he did before?

40 minutes ago, sonny912 said:

Ah, so it's basically ecw when it was Eastern instead of extreme but with Bischoff's business savvy and connections to help with finances.

Which given the time now means we're looking at a possible initial roster that may include Eddie gilbert, Johnny hot body, ivan koloff, Don muraco, the pitbulls, Stevie richards, jt Smith, Jimmy snuka, Tony Stetson, Larry Winters, abdullah the butcher, Mike awesome, the bad breed Axl and Ian rotten, Chris candido, bill demott, shane Douglas, Tommy dreamer, Terry funk,, Johnny Gunn, the headhunters, Jason knight, peaches(sandman's wife), the public enemy, sabu, sandman, Joey styles, Kevin Sullivan, Taz, 2 cold Scorpio, 911, Chris Benoit, the bruise Brothers, Ron and Don Harris, cactus jack, Dean malenko, Brian pillman, Devon storm and Mikey whipwreck. It honestly sound pretty cool to me.

If Bischoff's gone from wcw does that mean Jim Ross won't go to wwf? Will he become the new head booker? He did leave cause Eric got promoted instead him after all, at least that's what I read.

Will Eric try to sway Hogan and Savage to nwa like he did before?

Some of the future Bischoff and Heyman related hirings are because of their WCW and ECW ties, but this is it's own thing. Think more peak ROH meets peak TNA. I'm paraphrasing, but Bischoff has a quote along the lines of "If you can't do something better than someone, be different than them". So emphasizing in ring work, characters, and styles new to mainstream North American pro wrestling. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jaysin said:

Some of the future Bischoff and Heyman related hirings are because of their WCW and ECW ties, but this is it's own thing. Think more peak ROH meets peak TNA. I'm paraphrasing, but Bischoff has a quote along the lines of "If you can't do something better than someone, be different than them". So emphasizing in ring work, characters, and styles new to mainstream North American pro wrestling. 

So no wwf guys coming in with guaranteed contracts with creative control? Phew, that's a dodged bullet.

Does that mean they'll use the 6 sided ring? Cause too me that seems to be the symbol of peak tna before Hogan and Bischoff ruined it.

You mean new for the time right? You gotta junior, Cruiserweight or x division In the works?

What about establishing working aggrements with other companies like fmw and Smoky Mountain Wrestling? The hardcore wrestling style ecw was known for primarily inspired by what fmw was doing, and both Eric and Paul have history with Jim cornette. Having both in your corner could open the doors to interesting developments.

19 minutes ago, sonny912 said:

So no wwf guys coming in with guaranteed contracts with creative control? Phew, that's a dodged bullet.

Does that mean they'll use the 6 sided ring? Cause too me that seems to be the symbol of peak tna before Hogan and Bischoff ruined it.

You mean new for the time right? You gotta junior, Cruiserweight or x division In the works?

What about establishing working aggrements with other companies like fmw and Smoky Mountain Wrestling? The hardcore wrestling style ecw was known for primarily inspired by what fmw was doing, and both Eric and Paul have history with Jim cornette. Having both in your corner could open the doors to interesting developments.

Written exclusives? Yes. Creative control? No.

I'll be posting Genesis tomorrow afternoon. No preview or predictions for the first show, but there is a lot of announcements and information revealed at Genesis. Pretty much a death sentence in real life to promote a ppv with no names attached other than "NWA", but I want to develop my canon at my own speed.

Going forward, posts will maintain kayfabe, but the product I'm using is Three Ring Circus. Gives me plenty of wiggle room and I can book to my strengths. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jaysin said:

Written exclusives? Yes. Creative control? No.

I'll be posting Genesis tomorrow afternoon. No preview or predictions for the first show, but there is a lot of announcements and information revealed at Genesis. Pretty much a death sentence in real life to promote a ppv with no names attached other than "NWA", but I want to develop my canon at my own speed.

Going forward, posts will maintain kayfabe, but the product I'm using is Three Ring Circus. Gives me plenty of wiggle room and I can book to my strengths. 

Can me and others still post and share ideas with you? This seems like a fun read.

14 hours ago, Theheel said:

I like the idea of the relaunch of the NWA.  There is young talent out there and available along with veterans.  Of course my vote is for Terry Funk to reclaim the NWA title in the tourney at Genesis 

The talent pool in 92 is half the reason I chose 92 as my starting point. The other half being that Eric and Heyman would be taking huge leaps in real life around 92-93, so it felt organic to me to focus on them.

14 hours ago, sonny912 said:

Can me and others still post and share ideas with you? This seems like a fun read.

I lied, one last non-kayfabe post as I tidy up Genesis. Any ideas and comments are always welcome here. Hoping it's as fun to read as it is to brainstorm and write. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jaysin said:

The talent pool in 92 is half the reason I chose 92 as my starting point. The other half being that Eric and Heyman would be taking huge leaps in real life around 92-93, so it felt organic to me to focus on them.

I lied, one last non-kayfabe post as I tidy up Genesis. Any ideas and comments are always welcome here. Hoping it's as fun to read as it is to brainstorm and write. 

Awesome! Okay first off, while it does seem like you want to focus on the technical wrestling that Paul wanted ecw, I'd still like to see some hardcore stuff thrown in too. It is what brought people in too it in the first place, the technical stuff will be what keeps them in. Just make sure to tone it down like make blunt objects like tables, ladders and chair fine but sharp stuff like thumbtacks and barbed wire are banned.

2nd, avoid incidents like mass transit and the sandman crucifixion so you won't scare off Kurt Angle until 99 when he joins wwf.

And 3rd, a few more suggestions for the roster, billy kidman, Jerry lynn and Sean waltman. These guys would rock if you ever decide to make a lightweight or Cruiserweight division, or you could just have them chase the TV title. For tag teams I'd recommend the thrillseekers Lance storm and Chris Jericho, los gringos art barr and Eddie Guerrero who would just use Los Guerreros lie, cheat and steal gimmick from their time together on smackdown and gedo and jado of fmw fame.