Game wont launch after applying 1.46 patch

Hi this issue has been going on for months and decided I should finally say something since I didn't see any threads about my issue. My game is not launching after I applied the 1.46 part 3 patch. I have the e-license version installed and I made sure to download the right patch. I copied the file into my main directory but now when I start the game nothing happens at all. The game just wont open. I have reinstalled the game and it launches fine but again when I try to put the new patch nothing happens. I have deleted my gds folder and tried installing in different paths but after months of trying to figure it out I have had no luck. 

That would almost certainly be your antivirus blocking it. You'd need to whitelist / make safe the file.

You should also check your DEP settings as per the FAQ and make sure you're launching the game in admin mode.

I am having the same problem with the e-license version.   No matter what I do when I try running the program nothing happens.  I whitelisted the exe file in my antivirus. I even shut off my antivirus.

I guess I should try reinstalling  the game and run it without the patch..

Reinstalling the game either in the old folder or in a new one results in the same issue.  

I tried finding an older patch to see if that works but wasn't able to find one.

Guess I'm not playing TEW again. 

You should check your DEP settings, as referenced above.

If that doesn't work, you should try running the demo, as that will tell you if the game is being blocked or whether it's the license. If you can't get the demo to work then you would need to say so, as that's a totally different issue. If you can get it to work, then it's definitely your license being blocked, and that means it is almost certainly your antivirus that's causing it and you'd need to contact Scott for further assistance.

In reference to your other sentences, using older patches wouldn't have any effect, it's not the patch itself that is causing you problems.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 1:22 AM, Adam Ryland said:

You should check your DEP settings, as referenced above.

If that doesn't work, you should try running the demo, as that will tell you if the game is being blocked or whether it's the license. If you can't get the demo to work then you would need to say so, as that's a totally different issue. If you can get it to work, then it's definitely your license being blocked, and that means it is almost certainly your antivirus that's causing it and you'd need to contact Scott for further assistance.

In reference to your other sentences, using older patches wouldn't have any effect, it's not the patch itself that is causing you problems.

Thank you for your help Adam. 

Changing my DEP settings as mentioned in the FAQ worked although the steps to find and modify those settings did not work.   (I think I tried following the steps on the FAQ last week but couldn't reach the DEP settings and gave up).

To reach the DEP settings to change them I had to:

Press Win + R to open the Run dialog box.

Type sysdm.cpl and press Enter to open System Properties.

Go to the Advanced tab.

Under Performance, click Settings.

In the Data Execution Prevention tab, select Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only.

Click OK to save the changes.
Restart computer.

Thank you. After turning off DEP, TEW 2020 starts up now each time I do it.   

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, I have followed all advice I can find from allowing the program on my antivirus, having DEP on for all programs with tew as exception as well as runservice as exception and DEP on for windows and services only. I restarted pc after each change. Once I run as admin I see it start on task manager for a couple of seconds before ending. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i have no idea what else to try.

EDIT:

So i completely uninstalled and took licence off of pc. Installed demo which worked. Then done another completely fresh install, licenced it again and now will not load. Re done all of the above as well

Edited by dunc93
more/updated info

This issue was resolved, in general, the spate of most recent issues with licensing have generally surrounded BitDefender.  To resolve the BitDefender issues, you need to add exceptions in BOTH the antivirus and Advanced Threat Protection sections for TEW2020.exe AND C:\windows\Runservice.exe