How popular is your promotion after a year? I ran 26 shows in 2022 and made it to... 6. pop in my home region The shows were a fair bit worse than yours appear to have been, and I charged for  tickets (bouncing between cheap and very cheap).

29 minutes ago, Self said:

How popular is your promotion after a year? I ran 26 shows in 2022 and made it to... 6. pop in my home region The shows were a fair bit worse than yours appear to have been, and I charged for  tickets (bouncing between cheap and very cheap).

The difference between free and very cheap is HUGE. One show a month on free is more than enough for the first two years at least I would say.

Has there been any guides posted on this, I had looked to start it last night but genuinely had no idea how to start after signing guys up, how do you go about making matches and storylines for people you know nothing about and they have no history with each other lol. Well out my comfort zone 

Edited by hassan2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, hassan2 said:

Has there been any guides posted on this, I had looked to start it last night but genuinely had no idea how to start after signing guys up, how do you go about making matches and storylines for people you know nothing about and they have no history with each other lol. Well out my comfort zone 

There are few RTG Dynasties on the go at the moment, you might get some ideas from those. 

It can also help to try and think who the real world equivilent of the characters might be.

Edited by Bad Collin

23 minutes ago, Bad Collin said:

I got to 9 pop with one free show a month.

Economy is strong and industry is very strong, maybe that made a difference too.

Economy Below Average and falling. Wrestling Industry Weak and falling. My assistant even gives me a note saying that the wrestling industry's current state is "likely to have an impact on our ability to grow". 

7 minutes ago, kinqconnor said:

The difference between free and very cheap is HUGE. One show a month on free is more than enough for the first two years at least I would say.

My focus has been on my wrestler's development more than the promotion's. Working once a month doesn't feel like enough. I wanted more matches, more time spent between the ropes, and the trade off there is that company finances/popularity evidently suffer. Which is a nice little choice. I like looking at alternate routes to victory.

Although most of Black Sheep's 28 matches in 2022 were terrible. Average score of 23. I tried to surround him with experienced high flying veterans (Neville Jones, Rhys Vali, Ian Vincible) as opposed to talented ones.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Self said:

Economy Below Average and falling. Wrestling Industry Weak and falling. My assistant even gives me a note saying that the wrestling industry's current state is "likely to have an impact on our ability to grow". 

My focus has been on my wrestler's development more than the promotion's. Working once a month doesn't feel like enough. I wanted more matches, more time spent between the ropes, and the trade off there is that company finances/popularity evidently suffer. Which is a nice little choice. I like looking at alternate routes to victory.

Although most of Black Sheep's 28 matches in 2022 were terrible. Average score of 23. I tried to surround him with experienced high flying veterans (Neville Jones, Rhys Vali, Ian Vincible) as opposed to talented ones.

Adding someone to be a trainer in your inner circle leads to a workshop type event before every event

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, hassan2 said:

At the start, it's basically just a bunch of low level locals getting together to put on a crappy wrestling show. I wouldn't get too bogged down thinking about storylines. You're building the history from scratch, basically.

1 hour ago, kinqconnor said:

I've been running two shows per month at very cheap and always have hit my pop cap for the second. Making sure that I max gains out while lessening my losses.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MainOffender said:

I've been running two shows per month at very cheap and always have hit my pop cap for the second. Making sure that I max gains out while lessening my losses.

It would seem that this may be a much more effective way to go then. Obviously you'll be achieving double the matches per year and gaining the same amount of pop, if not a little more

Are people assigning personalities to their characters? I'm seeing a lot more events where my character "butts heads" with so-and-so and I always wince a little at "no particular personality" or whatever it is for my guy's balanced/boring attitude. 

21 minutes ago, MainOffender said:

Are people assigning personalities to their characters? I'm seeing a lot more events where my character "butts heads" with so-and-so and I always wince a little at "no particular personality" or whatever it is for my guy's balanced/boring attitude. 

I don't but I don't see any reason not to.

In my last RTG my character became an egomaniac somehow.

2 minutes ago, Bad Collin said:

I don't but I don't see any reason not to.

In my last RTG my character became an egomaniac somehow.

Now that is what I like to hear! I'm going to let it ride and see if anything happens naturally. Grifters aren't born, they're made.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, MainOffender said:

I didn't cuz I don't see that I can assign personality in the page 1 rules so I was like "maybe I cannot".

Edited by Goliathus

18 minutes ago, Goliathus said:

I didn't cuz I don't see that I can assign personality in the page 1 rules so I was like "maybe I cannot".

I don't think it made a difference until this new game. Feel free to add a personality and test it out for us.

We might have to do something about booking reputation. One of the most fun things about this challenge is taking jobs at bigger companies to advance more quickly. Booking rep used to get to a decent level quite quickly but this year it seems very slow. I am on 3 after 19 shows so I imagine that it will take years and years to get to a reasonable level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bad Collin said:

We might have to do something about booking reputation. One of the most fun things about this challenge is taking jobs at bigger companies to advance more quickly. Booking rep used to get to a decent level quite quickly but this year it seems very slow. I am on 3 after 19 shows so I imagine that it will take years and years to get to a reasonable level.

Maybe it should take years. It would be a bit weird in real life if a company hired some punk kid in their early 20's to be their head booker.

Or maybe that's the incentive to run more shows per year. I don't have my save in front of me but I believe I'm of 6 or 7 after 30-ish shows. I'm desperately hoping there was some benefit to running so frequently, as I don't think I'm getting this company out of the hole. 

What is a reasonable level? 50? Maybe offer a few points for hitting achievements. Once you get into a position to run weekly it'll shoot up naturally, I imagine. 

2 minutes ago, Self said:

Maybe it should take years. It would be a bit weird in real life if a company hired some punk kid in their early 20's to be their head booker.

Or maybe that's the incentive to run more shows per year. I don't have my save in front of me but I believe I'm of 6 or 7 after 30-ish shows. I'm desperately hoping there was some benefit to running so frequently, as I don't think I'm getting this company out of the hole. 

What is a reasonable level? 50? Maybe offer a few points for hitting achievements. Once you get into a position to run weekly it'll shoot up naturally, I imagine. 

You need about 60 to be in the top 20% which is where I imagine you want to be to compete for jobs at medium sized companies or higher.

Based on your figures it does seem to take around 5-6 shows to gain a point so should take at least 300 shows to get to the 50-60 region. 

Let's keep testing this out. 

• Like 1

Finished my first year. Some fast facts that might help others with strategy and/or balancing the challenge.

Size: +9 in my home region (South East). I ran 29 shows. Experimented a lot with how many/how cheap, but eventually settled into two shows at Very Cheap. My second show never gained pop because of how good my first one was, but I wanted to know I was hitting the cap and get my guy more experience.

Finance: $9,800 in debt. That's mostly from early experimentation/free show spam. I started turning a small profit in November using the two very cheap shows method. (Like $60 small.) I've also upgraded my merchandise to the second level and am pushing onto the third because I have a number of wrestlers with merchandise bonuses on their gimmicks and want to get to selling individual product. I'm hoping this will save me because I realize now that I have an owner goal not to be in debt at the end of 2023. So much for the three year grace period! Going to have to see if I can make some money somehow and worry less about running shows to hit the pop cap.

Booking Skill/Rep: My guy got +2 booking skill naturally from 29 shows (+20 from achievements). His reputation is 5. I missed applying for the two Tiny companies that opened because I'm not getting the old email notifications, so no idea if I'd have been able to jump ship. (Doubt it.)

Roster: I'm running 10 wrestlers so I can do three singles and one tag (fishing for chemistry) per show, all locals, no one more than $40. Got a ref and my owner is the road agent. I could shorten the bench here to save money, but I like having more options.

• Like 2

image.gif.a5ef926a180bad65a12b253933e4c7dc.gifRaulReyesRealistic3.gif.26971498b4871c286cbb6530b6753d46.gifimage.jpeg.f8eb0ead4b77b49a1eae12ffcfed3542.jpeg
Meet Raúl Reyes, a Mexican luchadore who saw his favourite promotion OLLIE die recently, with a certain void now in the Mexican market, and anger in Reyes' heart he decided to spearhead his own anti-establishment/counter culture promotion: Lucha Libre Azteca. And as most Mexican heartthrobs he hides his money maker under a mask, he competes under the guise of El Lagarto.

I used the generator to create the guy. He also has the plays Swagger well, and Plays Mysterious well, and to offset that he has Can't play Dominant and Can;t play Off Beat/Unstable.

image.thumb.png.327f109591c62b2f952d2b94e829d4fa.png

*Just noticed the Respect/Rep/Resilliance, adjusted it to 0/50/100 respectively.

Edited by defizzle
  • Like 1

I finished the second year of my seemingly cursed run, and things are finally turning around. The economy and wrestling industry are still weak, but now rising instead of falling. Sponsorship money is vastly improving, and there's a chance I might be able to claw my way out of the debt I put myself in. Was $24k. Now $20k. Progress. 

I failed my first owner goal (don't slip down the rankings) so Ken Flanagan isn't too happy with me. Very low confidence in me. 

Rolled a 2 on the Mystery Box for some hardcore goodness. My product does not like hardcore, but maybe something for the future. 

image.jpeg

Honestly, 2023 was pretty boring to play. Tiny shows and not many of them. My avatar only wrestled 14 times and his development was slow. I guess I'll try to spend 2024 getting out of debt, but if Ken's going to fire me anyway, maybe I should have some fun and work on my guy's skills instead. 

2 hours ago, Self said:

I finished the second year of my seemingly cursed run, and things are finally turning around. The economy and wrestling industry are still weak, but now rising instead of falling. Sponsorship money is vastly improving, and there's a chance I might be able to claw my way out of the debt I put myself in. Was $24k. Now $20k. Progress. 

I failed my first owner goal (don't slip down the rankings) so Ken Flanagan isn't too happy with me. Very low confidence in me. 

Rolled a 2 on the Mystery Box for some hardcore goodness. My product does not like hardcore, but maybe something for the future. 

image.jpeg

Honestly, 2023 was pretty boring to play. Tiny shows and not many of them. My avatar only wrestled 14 times and his development was slow. I guess I'll try to spend 2024 getting out of debt, but if Ken's going to fire me anyway, maybe I should have some fun and work on my guy's skills instead. 

Almost seems like a Yolo year just have your own reign of terror, doing nothing but improving your own skills.

• Like 1