Making Tour shows a little more useful

One issue I had with TEW 2020 was that Japanese style touring shows didn't really have much benefit to running them. I'll run down two examples I have of perceived issues along with real world contrasts.

Very little popularity or momentum gains for workers: Tour shows definitely shouldn't give gains anywhere near the big, tour-ending shows, but tour shows in real life are a vital tool for building a worker's momentum. An example I can point to off the top of my head is when Jay White defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP Heavyweight title at New Beginning 2019. The entire tour leading up to that match, White pinned/submitted Tanahashi repeatedly on every show. You could hear the reactions getting louder and louder in the buildings each show, and by the time the match came around White was considered a huge threat to win, all the tour show wins were constantly referenced on commentary, etc. This is just one example of countless. With not that many big shows on the calendar, tour shows are the main way that Japanese companies push their workers. If not direct popularity gains, I believe workers should at least get decent momentum from tour wins.

Tickets are too cheap: In TEW the prices for tour shows are generally less than half the price of the tickets for a big event. A 70 pop company for example charges 25 for an event ticket vs 12 for a tour ticket. In real life these numbers are much closer together. The upcoming Destruction in Kobe show costs 12,700 yen for a floor seat, while the Road to Destruction (tour) show preceding it costs 10,700 yen for similar seats. I believe the cost of tour shows should be closer to around 75% of a big event, rather than 50%, the reduced profit coming from decreased attendance rather than cheaper tickets.

With these two changes I believe tour shows would become both much more realistic to real world Japanese wrestling, but also less of a slog/more important to book, as there would be some real tangible benefits.

Edited by RocheBag
typos
  • Like 8

I really agree with this.

I would like to add that we should be able to broadcast tour shows without being limited to do an "highlight show". Nowadays many companies broadcast the majority if not all (like Stardom, Marigold and probably TJPW) of their tour shows and don't do highlights at all (Stardom has one in a way, but that includes PPV matches so it's not the same thing). Maybe this option could be avaiable only with an internet subscription service, if a limitation is needed.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, danyp92 said:

I would like to add that we should be able to broadcast tour shows without being limited to do an "highlight show". Nowadays many companies broadcast the majority if not all (like Stardom, Marigold and probably TJPW) of their tour shows and don't do highlights at all (Stardom has one in a way, but that includes PPV matches so it's not the same thing). Maybe this option could be avaiable only with an internet subscription service, if a limitation is needed.

Unless it got changed for TEW IX for some reason, you can already do this. If you have a broadcasting deal for events, you should be able to select said broadcaster for your touring shows.

3 minutes ago, Kingster said:

Unless it got changed for TEW IX for some reason, you can already do this. If you have a broadcasting deal for events, you should be able to select said broadcaster for your touring shows.

Tried before posting. It skips the option and says: "Skipped as broadcasters are fixed for tour highlight shows".

And I am trying in TEW20 and can't do it there either.

20 minutes ago, danyp92 said:

Tried before posting. It skips the option and says: "Skipped as broadcasters are fixed for tour highlight shows".

And I am trying in TEW20 and can't do it there either.

My bad, you're right. Apparently it got removed for 2020. In 2016 you could definitely do this. Strange.

4 hours ago, danyp92 said:

I really agree with this.

Yes I meant to mention that as well. Decent sized companies have been broadcasting their tour shows in full for quite some time now.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Another example of why this would be useful is that one of the main ways Japanese companies push new stars is by giving them deep runs in tournaments. In the game currently making a deep run in a tournament doesn't really accomplish anything because all shows except the final would be tour shows. 

A young wrestler going 7-2 in the G1 but then coming up short in the semi-final is a massive push in real life. In TEW currently that wouldn't accomplish anything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eugucgi said:

Possibly a solution could be to do multi day events, and have the "tour" events be "lesser"?

Didn't try it in practice yet, but running events was my solution in TEW 16 for g1 climax like event series.

That triggers event overload where the attendances nosedive, which would be fine but it also impacts the big show at the end of the tour

I assumed multiday events cancel the attendance nosedive unless the shows quality sinks. The game's faq only mentions **PPV** overuse and the section about multi day events points out that these shows are considered as one single event when calculating a possible **PPV** overuse.

The dip in quality shouldn't be an issue for a climax like tour.

• Like 1