WWF 1997: War Zone

Shotgun Saturday Night #1 
 Faarooq/PG-13 vs Flash Funk/Hardy Boys 
 Ahmed Johnson vs Crush 
 The Godwinns vs The Headbangers 
 Goldust vs The Sultan 
 Comments: A mosh pit in the pigsty, that's goldust, baby!

Sunday Morning Superstars #534 
 Justin Hawk Bradshaw vs Rocky Maivia 
 Mil Mascaras/Perro Aguayo/Octagon vs Pierroth Jr./Cibernetico/Fuerza Guerrera 
 Marc Mero vs The Stalker 
 The Goon vs The Undertaker 
 Comments: Die Rocky Die, this dang flash in the pan third generation nepobaby won't amount to anything here.

Monday Night Raw #192 
 Mankind vs Owen Hart 
 Can-Am Express vs Diesel/Razor Ramon 
 Bret Hart vs Vader 
 Comments: Vader time went the way of the mastodon, it's not an execution, it's reminding him he's already dead

• Haha 1

Just as an extra comment outside of my picks because I am late to the party, I got into wrestling in 93 but this was the kind of period that I was old enough to really know what was going on. This is bringing back memories, so I'll be following this as long as it is going.

Edited by Teasenitryn
  • Like 1

Shotgun Saturday Night picks: Flash Funk/Hardy Boys, Ahmed Johnson, The Headbangers, and Goldust.

Sunday Morning Superstars picks: Rocky Maivia, Mil Mascaras/Perro Aguayo/Octagon, Marc Mero, and the Undertaker...

Monday Night Raw picks: Owen Hart, Diesel/Razor Ramon, and Bret Hart...

• Thanks 1

Shotgun Saturday Night #1 
 Ahmed Johnson vs Crush 
 Goldust vs The Sultan 
 Comments: Flash Funk to the moon. Love me some 2 Cold Scorpio.

Marc Mero vs The Stalker 
 Comments: Very curious with how The Undertaker is going to be used in this dynasty!

Monday Night Raw #192 
 Mankind vs Owen Hart 
 Bret Hart vs Vader 
 Comments: I'm going mostly all Canadian on this opening edition of Raw. Very excited for this!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, blaustein said:

image.png

The  first week of 1997 features the much-anticipated debut of the live, uncut and uncensored Shotgun Saturday Night, a Sunday Morning Superstars clash between the legendary cornerstone of the WWF... and the Undertaker, and a first time ever mega main event of Bret Hart vs Vader on Monday Night Raw!

There are 12 points at stake this week - 11 for correctly predicting match results and 1 for the comment that makes me laugh the most. You have until Saturday to predict all three shows, but can still predict Raw up until Monday. The person with the most points at the end of January gets to choose a new signing to join the WWF roster!

NB: While the first two weeks of Raw will be quite similar to the real-life editions due to both being taped before the diary start date, I've decided to keep things interesting and so the match outcomes may differ from the real-life results.

image.jpeg

WEEK 1 January 1st to 6th 1997

Ahmed Johnson vs Crush 
 Goldust vs The Sultan 
 Comments: 

Marc Mero vs The Stalker 
 Comments: 

Monday Night Raw #192 
 Mankind vs Owen Hart 
 Bret Hart vs Vader 
 Comments: 

Super cool start to the diary with the intros/bios, cant wait for the booking to kick off. Also love the interactive competition element - if I ever have the discipline to stick to a save long enough to make a diary worthwhile I may have to shamelessly steal  take inspiration

Anyway I have to confess 1997 is a real black-spot in my knowledge of the WWF but ill do my best

Farooq/PG-13
 Ahmed Johnson vs Crush 

Crush (tainted win - outside interference)

Godwinns 
 Goldust vs The Sultan 

Goldust

Rocky Maivia

Team 1 after Mil Mascaras pins Fuerza Guerrera
 Marc Mero vs The Stalker 

Mero

The Goon - Roll-up pinfall after Undertaker is distracted at ringside 
 Comments: 

The best part of Sunday Morning Superstars was when the Goon said "Its goonin' time" and gooned all over the Undertaker

Monday Night Raw #192 
 Mankind vs Owen Hart 

Mankind

Diesel/Razor
 Bret Hart vs Vader 

Bret

• Haha 2

Ahmed Johnson vs Crush 
 Goldust vs The Sultan 
 Comments: The Headbangers? We want The Flying Nuns!

Marc Mero vs The Stalker 
 Comments: I considered changing my prediction to a Bradshaw win because I started thinking you might have listed the winner first on all the matches. The Goon vs The Undertaker made me reconsider that theory

Monday Night Raw #192 
 Mankind vs Owen Hart 
 Bret Hart vs Vader 
 Comments: Two Wrestlemania-worthy matches...and Rick Bognar

• Thanks 1

Comments: Though the high-flying of Funk & Hardys are sure to please the fans, The Nation just has much more experience together and feel as if that will be the deciding factor in this contest.
 Ahmed Johnson vs Crush 
Comments: Baring some underhanded tactics by the jail-bird, I see the powerhouse, Johnson taking this one easily, likely to dismay of Clarence Mason. 
Comments: My prediction is a double DQ, why? Why Not! Why should I care? It seems that President Monsoon doesn't care who wins either with this JOKE OF A MATCH! (deep breaths Kirby... deep breaths...)
 Goldust vs The Sultan 
 Comments: A bizarre one indeed! I have the gold painted freak winning here, likely by DQ. Why? I have no reason besides Marlena is with Goldust.

Closing Comments: Hope for lots of Sunny, not so much Vince.

Comments: Whether you like it or not, that Maivia kid is really on a roll, and thought The Texan won't go down without a fight, I see Rocky picking up this one.
Comments: ¡Dios Mio! My AAA tapes were supposed to come into next week! Just kidding, I do recognize a lot of these names, but this match is really just a toss-up. Let's go with Mascaras, Aguayo & Octagon. 
 Marc Mero vs The Stalker 
Comments: WOW! It seems like I was just watching this guys wrestle on WCW yesterday, how time flies... Anyway, lets go with the Wildman, because Sable.
 Comments: As much as I would love to see The Goon take this one, it's obviously going to be Taker. All I hope is that fool in pads doesn't forget his mouthpiece.

Monday Night Raw #192 
 Mankind vs Owen Hart 
Comments: I see this one ending in DQ with likely the win going to Hart. Mankind has always been unstable, but I think with these constant losses he's received at the hands of The Undertaker, it's only a matter of time before Mankind snaps.  
Comments: Boy, I sure do remember Diesel & Razor having a lot more... everything that last time I saw them, anyhow I see the Can-Am duo winning this one, handily may I add. 
 Bret Hart vs Vader 
 Comments: Even though his exultancy is competing in this match, the monster they call Vader has had great momentum recently and it's going to take more than a single Hitman to stop this goliath.

Comments: Just echoing what everybody else has said, but really love the presentation and looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Edited by Kirby
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

image.png

"Every week we'll bring you the inside scoop on backstage goings on from wrestling's top promotions including WCW, WWF, NJPW, CMLL and more! Our anonymous sources behind the curtain work to uncover the dirt and unleash the drama in what promises to be a truly historic year in professional wrestling."
- K. Fabe, Managing Editor

image.jpeg

The Dirt Sheet can exclusively reveal that the WWF booking team has had a much-needed reshuffle. The new-look creative team is headed by veteran road agent Pat Patterson, with Chairman Vince McMahon retaining a seat at the table and a veto over any creative decisions. Also on the team are announcer and Head of Talent Relations Jim Ross, commentator and manager Jim Cornette, upstart WWF Magazine Editor Vic Venom and USWA co-owner Jerry Lawler. The addition of Venom, a disciple of the Crash TV fad, is the most interesting and potentially controversial appointment yet.

Shotgun Saturday Night is set to debut this week. A live telecast from various bars and nightclubs in the New York area, the WWF are looking to deliver a raw, edgy and "anything can happen" vibe to the show. ECW owner Paul Heyman has consulted on various locations for the show, and creative team members Vic Venom and Jerry Lawler have been assigned head writer duties on the show. While it's unclear how a live show from low-capacity venues will make any money, it's seen internally as a petri dish to experiment with a new edgier direction for all WWF programming.

Almost as if in competition, creative team members Jim Ross and Jim Cornette have been assigned head writer duties to Sunday Morning Superstars, with the goal to present a clean and family-friendly version of the WWF's programming - though perhaps less offensively cartoonish as it has been in recent years. The show will feature appropriately-sanitised recaps of the flagship Monday Night Raw show alongside various midcard-level match-ups.

image.png

Dark Matches:
Bart Gunn/Bob Holly def Salvatore Sincere/T.L. Hopper in 4:31 [35]
Diesel/Razor Ramon def Freddie Joe Floyd/Jesse Jammes in 6:05 [47]

Welcome to Shotgun Saturday Night! 
Episode #1, January 4th 1997 - New York City, NY

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

The broadcast opens with the Shotgun Saturday Night intro sequence, a fast-paced sprint through various neon-soaked night-time New York scenes accompanied by a high-energy rock song. We cut to a dimly-lit nightclub with a noticeably smaller 16x16ft ring with a black canvas and yellow ropes - clearly a grungier and more underground take on the usual WWF red, white and blue ring. Jim Ross' voice is noticeably strained but enthusiastic as he tries to pipe up above the small but raucous crowd's volume: "Welcome, ladies and gentleman, to Shotgun Saturday Night - we're coming to you live from the heart of New York City on what promises to be a wild and unpredictable night!"

Beside Ross is the bedraggled Brian Pillman, speaking raspily with a manic edge: "That's right, J.R.! Live, uncut and uncensored - there's no safety net and anything can happen. It's gonna be pure chaos, and that's just the way I like it." We pan across to Sunny, who positively bounces with playful excitement as she speaks sultrily: "And you know, boys, when the lights are low and the action gets hot, things are bound to get a little naughty. It's Saturday night and it's time to get dirty!"

Ross shakes his head, seeming more than a little bewildered already: "You heard 'em, folks - buckle up. At this time, let's talk to our roving reporter on the streets of New York, Vic Venom." The camera cuts to a very chilly-looking Venom stood outside the nightclub with microphone in hand and surrounded by shouting fans and the city's hustle and bustle. "Yo, J.R., let me tell ya somethin'," he brags in his thick New York accent, "I know this city, and the streets out here are just as wild as anything that could happen in that building tonight. I'm here to give you all the scoops and the gossip. And-- HEY, WATCH IT, BRO!"

Venom is shoved out of frame as a large posse of intimidating men stride up to the nightclub entrance, and the bouncer lets them in. One of them turns their face to sneer at the camera - it's Faarooq and his Nation of Domination! The NoD's theme begins to echo through the tinny night-club speakers as the whole group makes their way to ringside - Faarooq, PG-13, Crush, Clarence Mason and a range of other suited fellow travelers. The group stand sternly in the ring before Flash Funk's theme plays and the Funkster dances to the ring with his Funkettes and the Hardy Boys. [60]

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
image.jpeg

Jeff and Ice start the match with a series of fast-paced exchanges, but the match is utterly derailed by a live and mischievous Brian Pillman who is obsessed with the Funkettes at ringside: "Let me tell ya somethin', J.R. - I swear one of those so-called Funkettes isn't just here to dance. Earlier outside the club, she might've offered me a little "extra service" tonight, if you catch my drift." Sunny can be heard audibly snickering as a concerned J.R. tries to steer the conversation back to the match, firmly saying: "Now, Pillman, let's not go making any wild accusations here on live TV..."

Pillman immediately cuts Ross off with a gleeful tone: "Wild accusations? J.R., I'm just tellin' it like it is! She wanted to show me her special dance routine!" A flustered Ross tries to calm things down as Faarooq and Funk tag in: "Alright, alright, Brian, let's focus on the action in the ring. Flash Funk is about to go one-on-one with a very tough man indeed." The tension at the commentary table lingers as Funk matches Faarooq's wild swinging blows with his own - the Funkster catches him off the ropes with a rolling kick, then climbs up high for the Funky Flash Splash!

Clarence Mason climbs to the apron on the far side of the ring and begins to accuse the Hardys of something, attracting the attention of referee Tim White. In the meantime, one of the Nation's unidentified suited men jumps up and pushes Funk off the top rope, causing him to crash and burn! Faarooq recovers and turns his opponent inside out with a thundrous Dominator, scoring the win in 4:50. [43]

image.jpeg

As the defeated Funk rolls out of the ring, supported by his Funkettes, the Nation gather in the center and raise their fists. Vic Venom clambers into the ring, rudely sticking a microphone in an incredulous Faarooq's face: "Bro, I need to ask you something. Why the hell did you guys shove me earlier, huh? I'm out here trying to do my job and--" The imposing Nation Leader immediately grabs the microphone from Venom, scowling at him menacingly, but then the music of Ahmed Johnson hits and the Pearl River Powerhouse bursts onto the scene, fired up and nearly knocking Venom aside again!

Ahmed points an accusatory finger into Faarooq's chest, his words barely coherent thanks to not holding a microphone and on account of him being Ahmed Johnson. "FROOK! YOU THINK YOU DA BIG MAN ROUND HERE, HUH? LEMME TELL YOU SOMETHIN' - YOU AIN'T RUNNIN' THROUGH ME! YOU AN' YOUR WHOLE NATION! Y'ALL AIN'T NOTHIN' BUT TALK - I'M SICK OF IT!" Faarooq can barely hide his disdain for Johnson as he rants, but then the enormous Crush stands forward and stares Ahmed down. The two exchange inaudible taunts until Faarooq nods sombrely and the Nation start to depart the ring.

Vic Venom has somehow got another microphone at ringside, breathing heavily as he shouts excitedly: "Crush has just challenged Ahmed to a fight right here, right now! Things are about to explode, bro!" [61]image.jpeg

The Nation remain looming at ringside as the bell rings, rubbing shoulders uneasily with the nightclub patrons. Ahmed and Crush begin with some tests of strength, both men evenly matched, before they begin just clobbering each other. "This one won't be ballet, folks, this is going to be bowling shoe ugly!" J.R. promises the viewers at home. Crush cuts Ahmed off with a headbutt and begins grinding him down with a headlock.

Brian Pillman gets bored and asks Sunny: "Who do you think's bigger?" The camera pans to Sunny with a knowing smirk as she states without hesitation: "Ahmed." Ross hesitantly pipes up: "Well, both men are heavyweights but actually - Crush has about ten pounds and four inches on Ahmed." Sunny laughs: "That isn't what Brian meant, J.R." Ahmed muscles out of Crush's hold and hits him with a punch to the gut, hooking his arms and hitting a Pearl River Plunge out of nowhere! Mike Chioda hits the mat to count 1... 2... and is pulled out of the ring by Faarooq! The match is ruled a disqualification in just 4:06. [52]

image.jpeg

The Nation immediately hit the ring, swarming Ahmed and raining down blows on him in the corner as Faarooq coldly directs traffic. "That's gotta be four... five... six on one!" J.R. exclaims, "in what world is that fair?" Pillman cackles in response: "This isn't about being fair, it's about teaching a lesson. Ahmed's got guts, I give him that, but those guts are about to be all over the mat." Just when it seems Ahmed is done for, something seems to snap in the Pearl River Powerhouse and he starts to shake with rage - and in a burst of adrenaline powers out of the corner!

Ahmed unleashes a furious comeback, leveling Wolfie D with a massive clothesline and knocking J.C. Ice out of the ring with a big boot! "Ahmed is fighting back," J.R. exclaims excitedly, "by God, he's not done yet, folks! Look at the power of this man!" Crush tries to overpower Johnson but receives a ring-shaking spinebuster for his efforts, before Ahmed hits a Pearl River Plunge on the unidentified suited man. "I don't believe it," Pillman adds in disbelief, "Ahmed's taking out the whole Nation by himself!"

In the meantime, Faarooq and Clarence Mason have beat a hasty retreat, vanishing into the nightclub crowd. "Look at them running like scalded dogs when it turns into a fair fight," J.R. cries. "Well, it's just smart," Pillman explains, before he suddenly exclaims: "What's he doing now? Look, Ahmed's got that look in his eye! He's going to do something CRAZY!" Indeed, Ahmed is still standing in the ring full of rage with a wide-eyed expression - and he picks the suited man up from the mat, grabbing him by the scruff of his neck!

Ahmed pulls him outside the ring and heads through the crowd, through the exit door and into the parking lot! His half-conscious quarry desperately struggles to escape the big man's grip, but instead Johnson lets out an angry roar, hoists his victim high up into the air, and drives him onto the hood of a nearby car with a devastating Pearl River Plunge!

"Hey, that's my rental!" Pillman screams. The suited man slumps from the dented hood to the cold ground as Ahmed breathes heavily until his anger subsides, then he simply wanders off into the New York night in his ring gear. [52]

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

The denim-overall clad Godwinns look quite out of place in the New York nightclub, but Mosh and Thrasher seem perfectly at home as they start a pre-match mosh pit in the crowd! As Mosh and Henry lock up, a distracted Pillman immediately asks Sunny: "So, have you ever been headbanged before?" The camera cuts to a disarmed Sunny, who shakes her head but adds: "Well, no. But I have been slopped." Pillman lets out a leery chuckle, responding quickly: "Like in those German X-rated flicks?" J.R. immediately shuts the conversation down, asking Pillman in a bitter, pointed tone: "Aren't you supposed to be annoyed about your rental car?"

The match is a wild brawl from start to finish, with neither team gaining much of an advantage - before the action spills to the outside and both teams begin to brawl through the crowd. "It's a shame, but the referee has lost control of this one," J.R. remarks as referee Mike Chioda begins to count both teams out. "These boys just can't keep it contained, look at 'em go at each other!"  Sunny adds sultrily. Neither team responds to the referee's count and continue to brawl through the crowd as an exasperated Chioda signals for the bell - it's a double count-out in 6:13!  [46]

image.jpeg

WWF officials head into the tightly-packed crowd to try and break the tag team brawl up, but in the dimly-lit chaos, they are still unable to restore order by separating the two teams. "These guys just don't know when to quit," Pillman chuckles. "Looks like we have a real mess on our hands," Sunny adds suggestively. The Sultan's music is then piped through the nightclub speakers as Jim Ross notes sardonically: "Well, folks, the show must go on. Stick around after these messages for a big-time main event!" The broadcast goes to commercial as the menacing masked man from Iran treads to ringside accompanied by a stern Iron Sheik and livid Bob Backlund. [58]

image.jpeg

We rejoin the broadcast with the Headbangers and Godwinns out of the scene and Goldust sensually stepping out of his wig and robe as Marlena watches at ringside with a calm confidence. The bell rings, both men circle, and the Sultan quickly gains the advantage with an aggressive shoulder block, before starting to pound down on the Bizarre One. "The Sultan isn't being paid by the hour, folks," J.R. notes as the masked monster drops Goldust on the canvas with a vertical suplex. "The Sultan has that killer instinct," Pillman grins, "he doesn't have a shred of compassion. I love it!"

While Marlena starts to show some signs of worry, both Bob Backlund and Iron Sheik offer advice in their own way - Backlund paces back and forth, shrieking shrill guidance as he gesticulates wildly. The Sheik just continually shouts instructions in Iranian. The Sultan's head snaps back and forth between the two men, and in the momentary distraction, Goldust hits him with an uppercut, a running clothesline and then a swinging neckbreaker that takes the big man off his feet! 1... 2... kick-out from the Sultan!

The Sultan quickly regains control with a vicious clothesline of his own, hitting Goldust with a series of scoop slams before his handlers begin to shout conflicting instructions. "Put him in the camel clutch and make him humble," the Iron Sheik proclaims! "Put that chicken in the chickenwing," Backlund counters. Marlena finally has enough and marches over to Backlund at ringside, starting to argue with him before she gives him a huge slap!

Backlund goes red-faced and wide-eyed as he gets in Marlena's face. Goldust is distracted by the fracas at ringside, leaving him easy prey for a powerful Sultan savate kick from behind! The Bizarre One crumples to the mat as the Sultan covers him for three in 10:21. "That was a real circus, folks - I'm not sure if the Sultan quite earned that win," J.R. remarks in frustration. "What do you mean, J.R.?!" Pillman asks incredulously. "A win is a win, and I'm looking at a winner right now in the Sultan! And a big loser in Goldust." [63]

image.jpeg

Marlena heads into the ring to comfort a disoriented and upset Goldust. Vic Venom rolls into the ring, barracking the pair with a series of obnoxious questions: "What kind of a performance is that for the Number One Contender for the Intercontinental Championship? Do you think the Sultan should get the shot instead after tonight? Is it true the two of you are actually secretly marri--" Venom is cut off with another big slap from Marlena, who stares daggers at him.

The disheartened pair leave through the crowd as Sunny mockingly says: "Well, Vic can't handle women, and he also can't get a scoop - because I've got the scoop of the week. All the winners from tonight will face off in a Battle Royal next week for the Shotgun Sheriff Badge!" We go off the air as a confused Pillman asks: "The what? I don't know what that is!" and J.R. hastily adds: "We'll see you next Saturday Night, folks!" [57]

image.jpeg

Show Rating: [56]

image.jpeg

image.png

So hey, this write-up ended up being longer than I expected, so instead going forward I'll post Shotgun Saturday Night on Saturdays, Sunday Morning Superstars on Sundays and Monday Night Raw on Mondays.

In the real world, Shotgun Saturday Night was supposed to be a raunchy and unpredictable ECW-like show, but in reality it was full of Vince's trademark weird humor and within six weeks, they'd given up on it and it was just another B-show. I'm going to stick with it as an experimental proto-Attitude Era/crash TV format alongside the other two shows, which will be much more mainstream in tone for now.

This was actually the first show I've ever booked in TEW IX, so even though the ratings weren't great, I really enjoyed using the new angle system.

I'm always open to comments and feedback about the content and format of the diary. Let me know for instance if you enjoyed the longer write-ups with commentator banter or would prefer something a bit more to the point.

Edited by blaustein
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, blaustein said:

image.png

"Every week we'll bring you the inside scoop on backstage goings on from wrestling's top promotions including WCW, WWF, NJPW, CMLL and more! Our anonymous sources behind the curtain work to uncover the dirt and unleash the drama in what promises to be a truly historic year in professional wrestling."
- K. Fabe, Managing Editor

image.jpeg

The Dirt Sheet can exclusively reveal that the WWF booking team has had a much-needed reshuffle. The new-look creative team is headed by veteran road agent Pat Patterson, with Chairman Vince McMahon retaining a seat at the table and a veto over any creative decisions. Also on the team are announcer and Head of Talent Relations Jim Ross, commentator and manager Jim Cornette, upstart WWF Magazine Editor Vic Venom and USWA co-owner Jerry Lawler. The addition of Venom, a disciple of the Crash TV fad, is the most interesting and potentially controversial appointment yet.

Shotgun Saturday Night is set to debut this week. A live telecast from various bars and nightclubs in the New York area, the WWF are looking to deliver a raw, edgy and "anything can happen" vibe to the show. ECW owner Paul Heyman has consulted on various locations for the show, and creative team members Vic Venom and Jerry Lawler have been assigned head writer duties on the show. While it's unclear how a live show from low-capacity venues will make any money, it's seen internally as a petri dish to experiment with a new edgier direction for all WWF programming.

Almost as if in competition, creative team members Jim Ross and Jim Cornette have been assigned head writer duties to Sunday Morning Superstars, with the goal to present a clean and family-friendly version of the WWF's programming - though perhaps less offensively cartoonish as it has been in recent years. The show will feature appropriately-sanitised recaps of the flagship Monday Night Raw show alongside various midcard-level match-ups.

image.png

Dark Matches:
Bart Gunn/Bob Holly def Salvatore Sincere/T.L. Hopper in 4:31 [35]
Diesel/Razor Ramon def Freddie Joe Floyd/Jesse Jammes in 6:05 [47]

Welcome to Shotgun Saturday Night! 
Episode #1, January 4th 1997 - New York City, NY

The broadcast opens with the Shotgun Saturday Night intro sequence, a fast-paced sprint through various neon-soaked night-time New York scenes accompanied by a high-energy rock song. We cut to a dimly-lit nightclub with a noticeably smaller 16x16ft ring with a black canvas and yellow ropes - clearly a grungier and more underground take on the usual WWF red, white and blue ring. Jim Ross' voice is noticeably strained but enthusiastic as he tries to pipe up above the small but raucous crowd's volume: "Welcome, ladies and gentleman, to Shotgun Saturday Night - we're coming to you live from the heart of New York City on what promises to be a wild and unpredictable night!"

Beside Ross is the bedraggled Brian Pillman, speaking raspily with a manic edge: "That's right, J.R.! Live, uncut and uncensored - there's no safety net and anything can happen. It's gonna be pure chaos, and that's just the way I like it." We pan across to Sunny, who positively bounces with playful excitement as she speaks sultrily: "And you know, boys, when the lights are low and the action gets hot, things are bound to get a little naughty. It's Saturday night and it's time to get dirty!"

Ross shakes his head, seeming more than a little bewildered already: "You heard 'em, folks - buckle up. At this time, let's talk to our roving reporter on the streets of New York, Vic Venom." The camera cuts to a very chilly-looking Venom stood outside the nightclub with microphone in hand and surrounded by shouting fans and the city's hustle and bustle. "Yo, J.R., let me tell ya somethin'," he brags in his thick New York accent, "I know this city, and the streets out here are just as wild as anything that could happen in that building tonight. I'm here to give you all the scoops and the gossip. And-- HEY, WATCH IT, BRO!"

Venom is shoved out of frame as a large posse of intimidating men stride up to the nightclub entrance, and the bouncer lets them in. One of them turns their face to sneer at the camera - it's Faarooq and his Nation of Domination! The NoD's theme begins to echo through the tinny night-club speakers as the whole group makes their way to ringside - Faarooq, PG-13, Crush, Clarence Mason and a range of other suited fellow travelers. The group stand sternly in the ring before Flash Funk's theme plays and the Funkster dances to the ring with his Funkettes and the Hardy Boys. [60]

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Jeff and Ice start the match with a series of fast-paced exchanges, but the match is utterly derailed by a live and mischievous Brian Pillman who is obsessed with the Funkettes at ringside: "Let me tell ya somethin', J.R. - I swear one of those so-called Funkettes isn't just here to dance. Earlier outside the club, she might've offered me a little "extra service" tonight, if you catch my drift." Sunny can be heard audibly snickering as a concerned J.R. tries to steer the conversation back to the match, firmly saying: "Now, Pillman, let's not go making any wild accusations here on live TV..."

Pillman immediately cuts Ross off with a gleeful tone: "Wild accusations? J.R., I'm just tellin' it like it is! She wanted to show me her special dance routine!" A flustered Ross tries to calm things down as Faarooq and Funk tag in: "Alright, alright, Brian, let's focus on the action in the ring. Flash Funk is about to go one-on-one with a very tough man indeed." The tension at the commentary table lingers as Funk matches Faarooq's wild swinging blows with his own - the Funkster catches him off the ropes with a rolling kick, then climbs up high for the Funky Flash Splash!

Clarence Mason climbs to the apron on the far side of the ring and begins to accuse the Hardys of something, attracting the attention of referee Tim White. In the meantime, one of the Nation's unidentified suited men jumps up and pushes Funk off the top rope, causing him to crash and burn! Faarooq recovers and turns his opponent inside out with a thundrous Dominator, scoring the win in 4:50. [43]

image.jpeg

As the defeated Funk rolls out of the ring, supported by his Funkettes, the Nation gather in the center and raise their fists. Vic Venom clambers into the ring, rudely sticking a microphone in an incredulous Faarooq's face: "Bro, I need to ask you something. Why the hell did you guys shove me earlier, huh? I'm out here trying to do my job and--" The imposing Nation Leader immediately grabs the microphone from Venom, scowling at him menacingly, but then the music of Ahmed Johnson hits and the Pearl River Powerhouse bursts onto the scene, fired up and nearly knocking Venom aside again!

Ahmed points an accusatory finger into Faarooq's chest, his words barely coherent thanks to not holding a microphone and on account of him being Ahmed Johnson. "FROOK! YOU THINK YOU DA BIG MAN ROUND HERE, HUH? LEMME TELL YOU SOMETHIN' - YOU AIN'T RUNNIN' THROUGH ME! YOU AN' YOUR WHOLE NATION! Y'ALL AIN'T NOTHIN' BUT TALK - I'M SICK OF IT!" Faarooq can barely hide his disdain for Johnson as he rants, but then the enormous Crush stands forward and stares Ahmed down. The two exchange inaudible taunts until Faarooq nods sombrely and the Nation start to depart the ring.

Vic Venom has somehow got another microphone at ringside, breathing heavily as he shouts excitedly: "Crush has just challenged Ahmed to a fight right here, right now! Things are about to explode, bro!" [61]image.jpeg

The Nation remain looming at ringside as the bell rings, rubbing shoulders uneasily with the nightclub patrons. Ahmed and Crush begin with some tests of strength, both men evenly matched, before they begin just clobbering each other. "This one won't be ballet, folks, this is going to be bowling shoe ugly!" J.R. promises the viewers at home. Crush cuts Ahmed off with a headbutt and begins grinding him down with a headlock.

Brian Pillman gets bored and asks Sunny: "Who do you think's bigger?" The camera pans to Sunny with a knowing smirk as she states without hesitation: "Ahmed." Ross hesitantly pipes up: "Well, both men are heavyweights but actually - Crush has about ten pounds and four inches on Ahmed." Sunny laughs: "That isn't what Brian meant, J.R." Ahmed muscles out of Crush's hold and hits him with a punch to the gut, hooking his arms and hitting a Pearl River Plunge out of nowhere! Mike Chioda hits the mat to count 1... 2... and is pulled out of the ring by Faarooq! The match is ruled a disqualification in just 4:06. [52]

image.jpeg

The Nation immediately hit the ring, swarming Ahmed and raining down blows on him in the corner as Faarooq coldly directs traffic. "That's gotta be four... five... six on one!" J.R. exclaims, "in what world is that fair?" Pillman cackles in response: "This isn't about being fair, it's about teaching a lesson. Ahmed's got guts, I give him that, but those guts are about to be all over the mat." Just when it seems Ahmed is done for, something seems to snap in the Pearl River Powerhouse and he starts to shake with rage - and in a burst of adrenaline powers out of the corner!

Ahmed unleashes a furious comeback, leveling Wolfie D with a massive clothesline and knocking J.C. Ice out of the ring with a big boot! "Ahmed is fighting back," J.R. exclaims excitedly, "by God, he's not done yet, folks! Look at the power of this man!" Crush tries to overpower Johnson but receives a ring-shaking spinebuster for his efforts, before Ahmed hits a Pearl River Plunge on the unidentified suited man. "I don't believe it," Pillman adds in disbelief, "Ahmed's taking out the whole Nation by himself!"

In the meantime, Faarooq and Clarence Mason have beat a hasty retreat, vanishing into the nightclub crowd. "Look at them running like scalded dogs when it turns into a fair fight," J.R. cries. "Well, it's just smart," Pillman explains, before he suddenly exclaims: "What's he doing now? Look, Ahmed's got that look in his eye! He's going to do something CRAZY!" Indeed, Ahmed is still standing in the ring full of rage with a wide-eyed expression - and he picks the suited man up from the mat, grabbing him by the scruff of his neck!

Ahmed pulls him outside the ring and heads through the crowd, through the exit door and into the parking lot! His half-conscious quarry desperately struggles to escape the big man's grip, but instead Johnson lets out an angry roar, hoists his victim high up into the air, and drives him onto the hood of a nearby car with a devastating Pearl River Plunge!

"Hey, that's my rental!" Pillman screams. The suited man slumps from the dented hood to the cold ground as Ahmed breathes heavily until his anger subsides, then he simply wanders off into the New York night in his ring gear. [52]

image.jpeg

The denim-overall clad Godwinns look quite out of place in the New York nightclub, but Mosh and Thrasher seem perfectly at home as they start a pre-match mosh pit in the crowd! As Mosh and Henry lock up, a distracted Pillman immediately asks Sunny: "So, have you ever been headbanged before?" The camera cuts to a disarmed Sunny, who shakes her head but adds: "Well, no. But I have been slopped." Pillman lets out a leery chuckle, responding quickly: "Like in those German X-rated flicks?" J.R. immediately shuts the conversation down, asking Pillman in a bitter, pointed tone: "Aren't you supposed to be annoyed about your rental car?"

The match is a wild brawl from start to finish, with neither team gaining much of an advantage - before the action spills to the outside and both teams begin to brawl through the crowd. "It's a shame, but the referee has lost control of this one," J.R. remarks as referee Mike Chioda begins to count both teams out. "These boys just can't keep it contained, look at 'em go at each other!"  Sunny adds sultrily. Neither team responds to the referee's count and continue to brawl through the crowd as an exasperated Chioda signals for the bell - it's a double count-out in 6:13! [46]

image.jpeg

WWF officials head into the tightly-packed crowd to try and break the tag team brawl up, but in the dimly-lit chaos, they are still unable to restore order by separating the two teams. "These guys just don't know when to quit," Pillman chuckles. "Looks like we have a real mess on our hands," Sunny adds suggestively. The Sultan's music is then piped through the nightclub speakers as Jim Ross notes sardonically: "Well, folks, the show must go on. Stick around after these messages for a big-time main event!" The broadcast goes to commercial as the menacing masked man from Iran treads to ringside accompanied by a stern Iron Sheik and livid Bob Backlund. [58]

image.jpeg

We rejoin the broadcast with the Headbangers and Godwinns out of the scene and Goldust sensually stepping out of his wig and robe as Marlena watches at ringside with a calm confidence. The bell rings, both men circle, and the Sultan quickly gains the advantage with an aggressive shoulder block, before starting to pound down on the Bizarre One. "The Sultan isn't being paid by the hour, folks," J.R. notes as the masked monster drops Goldust on the canvas with a vertical suplex. "The Sultan has that killer instinct," Pillman grins, "he doesn't have a shred of compassion. I love it!"

While Marlena starts to show some signs of worry, both Bob Backlund and Iron Sheik offer advice in their own way - Backlund paces back and forth, shrieking shrill guidance as he gesticulates wildly. The Sheik just continually shouts instructions in Iranian. The Sultan's head snaps back and forth between the two men, and in the momentary distraction, Goldust hits him with an uppercut, a running clothesline and then a swinging neckbreaker that takes the big man off his feet! 1... 2... kick-out from the Sultan!

The Sultan quickly regains control with a vicious clothesline of his own, hitting Goldust with a series of scoop slams before his handlers begin to shout conflicting instructions. "Put him in the camel clutch and make him humble," the Iron Sheik proclaims! "Put that chicken in the chickenwing," Backlund counters. Marlena finally has enough and marches over to Backlund at ringside, starting to argue with him before she gives him a huge slap!

Backlund goes red-faced and wide-eyed as he gets in Marlena's face. Goldust is distracted by the fracas at ringside, leaving him easy prey for a powerful Sultan savate kick from behind! The Bizarre One crumples to the mat as the Sultan covers him for three in 10:21. "That was a real circus, folks - I'm not sure if the Sultan quite earned that win," J.R. remarks in frustration. "What do you mean, J.R.?!" Pillman asks incredulously. "A win is a win, and I'm looking at a winner right now in the Sultan! And a big loser in Goldust." [63]

image.jpeg

Marlena heads into the ring to comfort a disoriented and upset Goldust. Vic Venom rolls into the ring, barracking the pair with a series of obnoxious questions: "What kind of a performance is that for the Number One Contender for the Intercontinental Championship? Do you think the Sultan should get the shot instead after tonight? Is it true the two of you are actually secretly marri--" Venom is cut off with another big slap from Marlena, who stares daggers at him.

The disheartened pair leave through the crowd as Sunny mockingly says: "Well, Vic can't handle women, and he also can't get a scoop - because I've got the scoop of the week. All the winners from tonight will face off in a Battle Royal next week for the Shotgun Sheriff Badge!" We go off the air as a confused Pillman asks: "The what? I don't know what that is!" and J.R. hastily adds: "We'll see you next Saturday Night, folks!" [57]

image.jpeg

Show Rating: [56]

image.jpeg

image.png

So hey, this write-up ended up being longer than I expected, so instead going forward I'll post Shotgun Saturday Night on Saturdays, Sunday Morning Superstars on Sundays and Monday Night Raw on Mondays.

In the real world, Shotgun Saturday Night was supposed to be a raunchy and unpredictable ECW-like show, but in reality it was full of Vince's trademark weird humor and within six weeks, they'd given up on it and it was just another B-show. I'm going to stick with it as an experimental proto-Attitude Era/crash TV format alongside the other two shows, which will be much more mainstream in tone for now.

This was actually the first show I've ever booked in TEW IX, so even though the ratings weren't great, I really enjoyed using the new angle system.

I'm always open to comments and feedback about the content and format of the diary. Let me know for instance if you enjoyed the longer write-ups with commentator banter or would prefer something a bit more to the point.

Well at least I got the first 2 right, shame the tag match went to double count out and I was surprised to see Sultan take the win here but I guess that slap vic got from marlena made Jim Cornette happy(unless this was before he started hating him).

I enjoyed the raunchy dialog between the announcers, Good old j.r. is the only one trying one trying do his job while Brian and Sunny bring the innuendo.

Why aren't you gonna post Sunday morning Superstars on Sundays though? It's right in the name.

• Confused 1

image.png

The Dirt Sheet can reveal that the contracts of several WWF stars are set to expire soon. Deals for Jake Roberts, The Executioner (Terry Gordy), Alex Porteau and Jose Lothario all currently expire at the end of January and negotiations for an extension have opened. WWF management are said to be concerned about Gordy and Roberts' substance abuse problems, with Pat Patterson having a talk with Gordy about kicking his pain killer habit.

Before this week's shows, Dr. Tom Prichard ran fundamentals drills for Rocky Maivia and Jason Arnhdt - these are expected to continue for the foreseeable future. The locker room leaders held a team bonding session - this was said to have included The Undertaker, Bret Hart, British Bulldog, Steve Austin and Vader.

image.png

Dark Matches:
Sycho Sid (RIP)/Brakus def Aldo Montoya/Barry Horowitz [50]
Jake Roberts/Can-Am Express def The Executioner/Leif Cassidy/Jason Arnhdt [56]

Welcome to Sunday Morning Superstars! 
 Episode #534, January 5th 1997 - Daytona Beach, FL   

The broadcast opens with the Superstars intro, showcasing various high-impact moves with a blue color filter and a peppy '80s throwback theme from Prime Time Wrestling. We go to ringside with tonight's commentary team of Jim Ross, Jim Cornette and the Honky Tonk Man.

"Welcome, ladies and gentleman, to another action-packed edition of Sunday Morning Superstars here on the USA Network," opens J.R. Before Ross can get another word in edgeways, Jim Cornette follows on in his high-pitched trademark yammer: "That's right - grab your cereal, grab your bacon and eggs, grab your coffee and settle in, because we're going to do Sunday morning the right way - with the biggest stars, the loudest mouths and the most hard-hitting wrestling around!"

Honky Tonk Man gives a conceited smirk, nodding in agreement: "Well, let me tell ya somethin', baby! You're gonna see the best of the best this morning - and ain't nobody better than the Honky Tonk Man, thank you very much. But all these other guys are gonna try to prove me wrong - and if they impress me enough, I might just find my protégé. Let's see what they've got!" [63]

image.jpeg

The opening contest pits two of 1996's most promising rookies against one another - the hard-hitting Texan brawler Justin Hawk Bradshaw and the ever-smiling blue chipper Rocky Maivia. Rocky outpaces Bradshaw in the early going with his incredible agility, but the rookie catches the wrong end of a Bradshaw clothesline and the Texan takes over by picking Rocky up, slamming him in the corner and following up with a series of punishing strikes.

"Bradshaw is built like a brick outhouse and is tougher than a two dollar steak," Jim Ross notes with concern, "Rocky's in trouble here." Cornette chuckles darkly: "The kid's got heart, but he's greener than grass - I bet even I've got more ring time than him." Honky is seen on camera stroking his chin as he watches the contest with unusual silence.

Bradshaw whips Rocky into the corner and comes after him with a running splash, but Maivia gets a boot up then climbs up high to nail a crossbody! "Whoa, mama! It's about time Rocky got somethin' goin'," Honky notes. Rocky tries to get the Texan up for his Running Shoulderbreaker finishing move, but Bradshaw powers out with ease and pounds Maivia into the mat. "That's a rookie mistake, you'll have to soften a big beast like Bradshaw up more than that," Cornette says with a mocking tone.

Bradshaw beats down Maivia with a series of power moves including a fallaway slam and russian legsweep, but he can't seem to keep Rocky down beyond a two count! Bradshaw hits the ropes looking for a clubbing Lariat, but Rocky ducks and manages to catch a dazed Bradshaw in a small package for a victory out of nowhere in 6:23! "Well, I'll be darned! I didn't think he had it in him, but I gotta give credit where it's due - Rocky pulled it off!" Honky notes with amazement. [44]

image.jpeg

After the match, Todd Pettengill interviews Maivia in the ring: "Rocky, you're riding a big wave of momentum right now - undefeated in the WWF! What's next for you?" Rocky breathes hard and grins from ear to ear as he replies: "I'm going to win the Royal Rumble, Todd - and I'm going to make my father Rocky Johnson and my grandfather the High Chief Peter Maivia proud. And then I'm going on to Wrestlemania and I'm bringing the WWF Championship home!"

"Big words for a rookie," an unconvinced Jim Cornette opines from commentary. "Aiming for the WWF title already, maybe he ought to learn the difference between a wristlock and a wristwatch first." Jim Ross defends Maivia, noting: "Rocky's full of confidence, and why wouldn't he be? This may be his debut year but he's grown up in this business, he's lived and breathed the WWF since the cradle." Honky Tonk Man lets out a thoughtful hum, before adding: "He does have long sideburns..."

Meanwhile at ringside, a seething Bradshaw stomps his way back up the entrance ramp - defeated but still standing.[43]

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A colorful procession of top AAA stars show off their speed and technique in the next match. "In lucha libre, a trios bout is a best of three falls affair with team captains and no tags," Jim Ross notes, "but here in the WWF it's sudden death and tag team rules apply - that will undoubtedly change the complexion of this match-up." Mil Mascaras and Pierroth start the match with a series of chops and arm-drags, the veteran luchadors seeming to turn back the hands of time. "I don't know about all this flippin' an' flyin'," Honky Tonk Man drawls, "but it sure is pretty to look at."

Mil tags out to Octagon, who is cut off by the rudo trio, who work on his arm with a series of impressive submissions. The crowd aren't hot for the match, but they still clap enough to will Octagon into a comeback, hitting a shining wizard before tagging out to Perro Aguayo - who runs wild with a series of clotheslines and dropkicks on all three opponents! "Did you see that?! Perro is wiping out the entire field," Jim Cornette shrieks excitedly.

Aguayo looks to finish Guerrera off with a jumping double boot stomp to the midsection. "He calls that La Lanza," Jim Ross adds. "Blackjack Lanza?" Cornette asks in response. "It's Spanish for 'Spear'," Ross responds, "and I'm sure that's just how it feels." The muscular Cibernetico breaks Perro's cover, and things break down until all six men are hitting high-impact moves! Mil Mascaras tags himself in and goes up high to hit Guerrera with a diving crossbody from the top rope, getting the win in 8:17! The crowd go mild. [44]

image.jpeg

We cut to a video recap of the last Raw of 1996. A tag team match between the unlikely pairing of Steve Austin and Faarooq versus Savio Vega and Jesse Jammes ends early when Austin takes out Double J's knee - but Bret Hart comes out in his street clothes to serve as a replacement partner! Bret hits the Five Moves of Doom on the Nation Leader, setting up for a Sharpshooter before Crush and PG-13 rush the ring for the DQ! Ahmed Johnson runs to the ring with a 2x4, clearing the ring of the Nation! Austin has no interest in brawling with the big Johnson, and slinks up the ramp.

Goldust and Marlena are ringside for HHH's Intercontinental title defence against Flash Funk, but Jerry Lawler starts to call out the Bizarre One on the mouse mic, and Goldust runs him back to the locker room! Later that night, Goldust and Lawler look to settle it in the ring, but the match ends in chaos after HHH comes out and throws Marlena over his shoulder, trying to abduct the director! Goldust gets away from Lawler to rescue his woman, and HHH is met in the aisleway by Marc Mero! It's a four-way fracas that ends with HHH and Lawler beating down Goldust and Mero, and Marlena appearing to be knocked out. [63]

image.jpeg

Oh look, here's Marc Mero again! The Wildman is accompanied to the ring by Sable as he takes on the Stalker, who has apparently already mentally given up as he isn't wearing his facepaint or camo gear, but rather a generic WWF-branded tee. The crowd treat the bout with the same level of disinterest as the Stalker, largely remaining silent as the bigger man transitions from a a facelock to a side headlock to a headlock takeover with all the pace and urgency of a glacier.

"This is turning into a real chess match," Cornette adds in an effort to justify the slow-paced action. "Stalker is proving he can outwrestle Mero any day of the week." Honky agrees, noting: "Stalker's got him trapped like a wounded animal, baby. Mero better figure something out or he's in for a long night!" Sable shouts encouragement to her man from ringside, and the Wildman muscles Stalker on his back for a quick pin attempt, before breaking the hold and starting to run wild with a flying forearm and a spectacular standing moonsault!

"Quick thinking and quicker moves," J.R. says excitedly as Mero scores a two-count. The Wildman follows up with a series of quick jabs and hits Stalker with an Irish whip, but the bigger man reverses it and catches Mero on the rebound with an enormous powerslam! "Good God almighty, Mero was just turned inside out," Ross adds. "Stalker's got him right where he wants him," Cornette grins, "he just has to stay on top of him and not let Mero get back into this thing!"

Stalker paces back and forth as he sets Mero up for a powerful Lariat - but seems to get distracted by Sable's loud encouragement at ringside, giving the Wildman a crucial few seconds to recover. Stalker goes for the Lariat, Mero ducks at the last second - and he plants Mero with a cutter and goes up top for the Wild Thing! He crushes Stalker with a picture-perfect shooting star press and scores the win in 4:35 to Sable's delight. "That was an uncharacteristic lapse of focus for the veteran," J.R. states, "and Mero made him pay for it." [41]

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

We cut to a dimly-lit room somewhere backstage as the Undertaker cuts a promo on Vader. "Vader..." Undertaker speaks deeply, "you think you're powerful. But I have laid waste to giants far greater than you. You think you're ruthless. But I have walked through the flames of Hell itself. You are nothing but another soul waiting to be claimed." Taker lets his words hang in the air, before he adds ominously: "You may believe your strength can save you, that your brutality can protect you... but the Reaper has come for you. Vader, you will... rest... in peace..." The sound of distant thunder can be heard as he finishes his dark warning.

We go back to commentary as Ross hypes that the Undertaker will be in action next! Cornette is visibly upset, saying: "Oh, come on! Are you kidding me? Let's get real for a second - the Undertaker has never faced anyone like Vader. This man is a 450-pound wrecking machine! The Undertaker can talk about Hell all he wants - the truth is, Vader's going to send him there himself!" J.R. tries to cut in, but Cornette can't be contained: "I DON'T CARE IF THE VOICE IN YOUR EAR SAYS WE'RE GOING TO COMMERCIAL! Let me tell you something, and I want everybody to hear this loud and clear-"

Cornette is cut off as we go to commercial ahead of the main event. [87]

image.jpeg

The telecast resumes with The Goon already in the ring and Undertaker making his long, epic entrance. Jim Cornette is still going off on a rant, not letting Ross or even Honky get a word in: "Vader's going to rip the Undertaker apart piece by piece. The chokeslam? Vader'll shrug it off! The tombstone piledriver? Ha! Vader'll kick out like it's nothing!" The bell rings, and J.R. takes our attention to the ring, but Cornette still isn't finished - he grabs the house mic and begins to cut a live promo on the Undertaker as he strides cockily to the ring to the sound of boos.

"Listen to all these people," Cornette taunts. "They may be all bought in to your smoke and mirrors routine, but Vader isn't afraid of you - he isn't afraid of anything! The Mastodon has destroyed everyone in his path, and you really think some so-called 'Dead Man' is gonna stop him? Give me a break!" Undertaker sets his eerie gaze on Cornette long enough for the Goon to throw his gloves off and charge him in the corner with a burst of offence! There's a rain of blows followed by the Goon backing up and hitting him with the Cross Check, then a second, then a third! Undertaker slumps down to the ground and the Goon excitedly makes the cover.

"Oh my God, J.R.," Honky Tonk begins, but Undertaker immediately and powerfully kicks out before 1! He sits up straight and stares hard at the shocked Goon, who has his jaw wide open and is starting to panic. Undertaker rises up and backs the terrified Goon into the corner, before he begins pounding the hockey player with lefts and rights of his own! "The Goon is catching those hard soup-bones," Ross notes, "I don't think he's faced anything like this before on the ice." Honky chuckles in response: "He'll be looking for a bag of ice after this, poor guy."

With a deliberate and dominant pace, Undertaker dismantles the Goon with all of his signature offence over the next few minutes in an extended one-sided beatdown - including Old School, a Chokeslam and then an emphatic Tombstone Piledriver! Cornette is shocked into silence and goes wide-eyed after the Undertaker stares him down as the referee counts 3 to end the match at 4:31. [68]

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Cornette is motionless like a deer in the headlights as Undertaker stares him down, and as the Dead Man exits the ring and strides towards him, he drops the microphone and begins to plead: "Wait, wait, wait! Hold on a second! Let's just talk-AAAAAH!" Cornette lets out a shriek as the Undertaker's hand grabs him around the throat and he's dragged into the ring by the Dead Man, shaking and desperately flailing his arms.

"I kind of feel bad for the guy," Honky Tonk Man grumbles, "maybe somebody should stop this." J.R. lets out a caustic laugh: "You're a former Intercontinental champion, are you going to stop it?" Honky gulps and just replies lowly: "No, I don't think I will." Undertaker lets go of Cornette's throat and the Louisville Lip falls to his knees, tears in his eyes as he continues to beg: "Oh God, please don't hurt me! I didn't mean anything I said before! I've got a family! A mother! Think about my poor mother! She'd be--AAAAAH!"

Cornette yells in terror as Undertaker effortlessly turns him upside down in position for the Tombstone Piledriver, then plants him hard on the mat. Cornette goes completely limp as the Undertaker then retrieves a body bag from under the ring and bundles the motionless manager inside. "It looks like Jim Cornette has had a brush with death itself," Ross says sombrely. "If Vader was mad before, now he'll be livid," Honky adds with a nervous chuckle. "Maybe that was the Undertaker's plan... or maybe he just wanted to shut Cornette up for good."

The show ends as Undertaker drags the body bag out of the ring and up the aisle. [89]

image.jpeg

Show Rating: [72]

Edited by blaustein
  • Like 8

14 hours ago, alpha2117 said:

Nice start to the shows.  Sort of happy a guy who is in noy a Samoan got the win.  

Technically the sultan is billed as being from Saudi Arabia. 

6 hours ago, blaustein said:

image.png

The Dirt Sheet can reveal that the contracts of several WWF stars are set to expire soon. Deals for Jake Roberts, The Executioner (Terry Gordy), Alex Porteau and Jose Lothario all currently expire at the end of January and negotiations for an extension have opened. WWF management are said to be concerned about Gordy and Roberts' substance abuse problems, with Pat Patterson having a talk with Gordy about kicking his pain killer habit.

Before this week's shows, Dr. Tom Prichard ran fundamentals drills for Rocky Maivia and Jason Arnhdt - these are expected to continue for the foreseeable future. The locker room leaders held a team bonding session - this was said to have included The Undertaker, Bret Hart, British Bulldog, Steve Austin and Vader.

image.png

Dark Matches:

The broadcast opens with the Superstars intro, showcasing various high-impact moves with a blue color filter and a peppy '80s throwback theme from Prime Time Wrestling. We go to ringside with tonight's commentary team of Jim Ross, Jim Cornette and the Honky Tonk Man.

"Welcome, ladies and gentleman, to another action-packed edition of Sunday Morning Superstars here on the USA Network," opens J.R. Before Ross can get another word in edgeways, Jim Cornette follows on in his high-pitched trademark yammer: "That's right - grab your cereal, grab your bacon and eggs, grab your coffee and settle in, because we're going to do Sunday morning the right way - with the biggest stars, the loudest mouths and the most hard-hitting wrestling around!"

Honky Tonk Man gives a conceited smirk, nodding in agreement: "Well, let me tell ya somethin', baby! You're gonna see the best of the best this morning - and ain't nobody better than the Honky Tonk Man, thank you very much. But all these other guys are gonna try to prove me wrong - and if they impress me enough, I might just find my protégé. Let's see what they've got!" [63]

image.jpeg

The opening contest pits two of 1996's most promising rookies against one another - the hard-hitting Texan brawler Justin Hawk Bradshaw and the ever-smiling blue chipper Rocky Maivia. Rocky outpaces Bradshaw in the early going with his incredible agility, but the rookie catches the wrong end of a Bradshaw clothesline and the Texan takes over by picking Rocky up, slamming him in the corner and following up with a series of punishing strikes.

"Bradshaw is built like a brick outhouse and is tougher than a two dollar steak," Jim Ross notes with concern, "Rocky's in trouble here." Cornette chuckles darkly: "The kid's got heart, but he's greener than grass - I bet even I've got more ring time than him." Honky is seen on camera stroking his chin as he watches the contest with unusual silence.

Bradshaw whips Rocky into the corner and comes after him with a running splash, but Maivia gets a boot up then climbs up high to nail a crossbody! "Whoa, mama! It's about time Rocky got somethin' goin'," Honky notes. Rocky tries to get the Texan up for his Running Shoulderbreaker finishing move, but Bradshaw powers out with ease and pounds Maivia into the mat. "That's a rookie mistake, you'll have to soften a big beast like Bradshaw up more than that," Cornette says with a mocking tone.

Bradshaw beats down Maivia with a series of power moves including a fallaway slam and russian legsweep, but he can't seem to keep Rocky down beyond a two count! Bradshaw hits the ropes looking for a clubbing Lariat, but Rocky ducks and manages to catch a dazed Bradshaw in a small package for a victory out of nowhere in 6:23! "Well, I'll be darned! I didn't think he had it in him, but I gotta give credit where it's due - Rocky pulled it off!" Honky notes with amazement. [44]

image.jpeg

After the match, Todd Pettengill interviews Maivia in the ring: "Rocky, you're riding a big wave of momentum right now - undefeated in the WWF! What's next for you?" Rocky breathes hard and grins from ear to ear as he replies: "I'm going to win the Royal Rumble, Todd - and I'm going to make my father Rocky Johnson and my grandfather the High Chief Peter Maivia proud. And then I'm going on to Wrestlemania and I'm bringing the WWF Championship home!"

"Big words for a rookie," an unconvinced Jim Cornette opines from commentary. "Aiming for the WWF title already, maybe he ought to learn the difference between a wristlock and a wristwatch first." Jim Ross defends Maivia, noting: "Rocky's full of confidence, and why wouldn't he be? This may be his debut year but he's grown up in this business, he's lived and breathed the WWF since the cradle." Honky Tonk Man lets out a thoughtful hum, before adding: "He does have long sideburns..."

Meanwhile at ringside, a seething Bradshaw stomps his way back up the entrance ramp - defeated but still standing. [43]

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A colorful procession of top AAA stars show off their speed and technique in the next match. "In lucha libre, a trios bout is a best of three falls affair with team captains and no tags," Jim Ross notes, "but here in the WWF it's sudden death and tag team rules apply - that will undoubtedly change the complexion of this match-up." Mil Mascaras and Pierroth start the match with a series of chops and arm-drags, the veteran luchadors seeming to turn back the hands of time. "I don't know about all this flippin' an' flyin'," Honky Tonk Man drawls, "but it sure is pretty to look at."

Mil tags out to Octagon, who is cut off by the rudo trio, who work on his arm with a series of impressive submissions. The crowd aren't hot for the match, but they still clap enough to will Octagon into a comeback, hitting a shining wizard before tagging out to Perro Aguayo - who runs wild with a series of clotheslines and dropkicks on all three opponents! "Did you see that?! Perro is wiping out the entire field," Jim Cornette shrieks excitedly.

Aguayo looks to finish Guerrera off with a jumping double boot stomp to the midsection. "He calls that La Lanza," Jim Ross adds. "Blackjack Lanza?" Cornette asks in response. "It's Spanish for 'Spear'," Ross responds, "and I'm sure that's just how it feels." The muscular Cibernetico breaks Perro's cover, and things break down until all six men are hitting high-impact moves! Mil Mascaras tags himself in and goes up high to hit Guerrera with a diving crossbody from the top rope, getting the win in 8:17! The crowd go mild. [44]

image.jpeg

We cut to a video recap of the last Raw of 1996. A tag team match between the unlikely pairing of Steve Austin and Faarooq versus Savio Vega and Jesse Jammes ends early when Austin takes out Double J's knee - but Bret Hart comes out in his street clothes to serve as a replacement partner! Bret hits the Five Moves of Doom on the Nation Leader, setting up for a Sharpshooter before Crush and PG-13 rush the ring for the DQ! Ahmed Johnson runs to the ring with a 2x4, clearing the ring of the Nation! Austin has no interest in brawling with the big Johnson, and slinks up the ramp.

Goldust and Marlena are ringside for HHH's Intercontinental title defence against Flash Funk, but Jerry Lawler starts to call out the Bizarre One on the mouse mic, and Goldust runs him back to the locker room! Later that night, Goldust and Lawler look to settle it in the ring, but the match ends in chaos after HHH comes out and throws Marlena over his shoulder, trying to abduct the director! Goldust gets away from Lawler to rescue his woman, and HHH is met in the aisleway by Marc Mero! It's a four-way fracas that ends with HHH and Lawler beating down Goldust and Mero, and Marlena appearing to be knocked out. [63]

image.jpeg

Oh look, here's Marc Mero again! The Wildman is accompanied to the ring by Sable as he takes on the Stalker, who has apparently already mentally given up as he isn't wearing his facepaint or camo gear, but rather a generic WWF-branded tee. The crowd treat the bout with the same level of disinterest as the Stalker, largely remaining silent as the bigger man transitions from a a facelock to a side headlock to a headlock takeover with all the pace and urgency of a glacier.

"This is turning into a real chess match," Cornette adds in an effort to justify the slow-paced action. "Stalker is proving he can outwrestle Mero any day of the week." Honky agrees, noting: "Stalker's got him trapped like a wounded animal, baby. Mero better figure something out or he's in for a long night!" Sable shouts encouragement to her man from ringside, and the Wildman muscles Stalker on his back for a quick pin attempt, before breaking the hold and starting to run wild with a flying forearm and a spectacular standing moonsault!

"Quick thinking and quicker moves," J.R. says excitedly as Mero scores a two-count. The Wildman follows up with a series of quick jabs and hits Stalker with an Irish whip, but the bigger man reverses it and catches Mero on the rebound with an enormous powerslam! "Good God almighty, Mero was just turned inside out," Ross adds. "Stalker's got him right where he wants him," Cornette grins, "he just has to stay on top of him and not let Mero get back into this thing!"

Stalker paces back and forth as he sets Mero up for a powerful Lariat - but seems to get distracted by Sable's loud encouragement at ringside, giving the Wildman a crucial few seconds to recover. Stalker goes for the Lariat, Mero ducks at the last second - and he plants Mero with a cutter and goes up top for the Wild Thing! He crushes Stalker with a picture-perfect shooting star press and scores the win in 4:35 to Sable's delight. "That was an uncharacteristic lapse of focus for the veteran," J.R. states, "and Mero made him pay for it." [41]

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

We cut to a dimly-lit room somewhere backstage as the Undertaker cuts a promo on Vader. "Vader..." Undertaker speaks deeply, "you think you're powerful. But I have laid waste to giants far greater than you. You think you're ruthless. But I have walked through the flames of Hell itself. You are nothing but another soul waiting to be claimed." Taker lets his words hang in the air, before he adds ominously: "You may believe your strength can save you, that your brutality can protect you... but the Reaper has come for you. Vader, you will... rest... in peace..." The sound of distant thunder can be heard as he finishes his dark warning.

We go back to commentary as Ross hypes that the Undertaker will be in action next! Cornette is visibly upset, saying: "Oh, come on! Are you kidding me? Let's get real for a second - the Undertaker has never faced anyone like Vader. This man is a 450-pound wrecking machine! The Undertaker can talk about Hell all he wants - the truth is, Vader's going to send him there himself!" J.R. tries to cut in, but Cornette can't be contained: "I DON'T CARE IF THE VOICE IN YOUR EAR SAYS WE'RE GOING TO COMMERCIAL! Let me tell you something, and I want everybody to hear this loud and clear-"

Cornette is cut off as we go to commercial ahead of the main event. [87]

image.jpeg

The telecast resumes with The Goon already in the ring and Undertaker making his long, epic entrance. Jim Cornette is still going off on a rant, not letting Ross or even Honky get a word in: "Vader's going to rip the Undertaker apart piece by piece. The chokeslam? Vader'll shrug it off! The tombstone piledriver? Ha! Vader'll kick out like it's nothing!" The bell rings, and J.R. takes our attention to the ring, but Cornette still isn't finished - he grabs the house mic and begins to cut a live promo on the Undertaker as he strides cockily to the ring to the sound of boos.

"Listen to all these people," Cornette taunts. "They may be all bought in to your smoke and mirrors routine, but Vader isn't afraid of you - he isn't afraid of anything! The Mastodon has destroyed everyone in his path, and you really think some so-called 'Dead Man' is gonna stop him? Give me a break!" Undertaker sets his eerie gaze on Cornette long enough for the Goon to throw his gloves off and charge him in the corner with a burst of offence! There's a rain of blows followed by the Goon backing up and hitting him with the Cross Check, then a second, then a third! Undertaker slumps down to the ground and the Goon excitedly makes the cover.

"Oh my God, J.R.," Honky Tonk begins, but Undertaker immediately and powerfully kicks out before 1! He sits up straight and stares hard at the shocked Goon, who has his jaw wide open and is starting to panic. Undertaker rises up and backs the terrified Goon into the corner, before he begins pounding the hockey player with lefts and rights of his own! "The Goon is catching those hard soup-bones," Ross notes, "I don't think he's faced anything like this before on the ice." Honky chuckles in response: "He'll be looking for a bag of ice after this, poor guy."

With a deliberate and dominant pace, Undertaker dismantles the Goon with all of his signature offence over the next few minutes in an extended one-sided beatdown - including Old School, a Chokeslam and then an emphatic Tombstone Piledriver! Cornette is shocked into silence and goes wide-eyed after the Undertaker stares him down as the referee counts 3 to end the match at 4:31. [68]

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Cornette is motionless like a deer in the headlights as Undertaker stares him down, and as the Dead Man exits the ring and strides towards him, he drops the microphone and begins to plead: "Wait, wait, wait! Hold on a second! Let's just talk-AAAAAH!" Cornette lets out a shriek as the Undertaker's hand grabs him around the throat and he's dragged into the ring by the Dead Man, shaking and desperately flailing his arms.

"I kind of feel bad for the guy," Honky Tonk Man grumbles, "maybe somebody should stop this." J.R. lets out a caustic laugh: "You're a former Intercontinental champion, are you going to stop it?" Honky gulps and just replies lowly: "No, I don't think I will." Undertaker lets go of Cornette's throat and the Louisville Lip falls to his knees, tears in his eyes as he continues to beg: "Oh God, please don't hurt me! I didn't mean anything I said before! I've got a family! A mother! Think about my poor mother! She'd be--AAAAAH!"

Cornette yells in terror as Undertaker effortlessly turns him upside down in position for the Tombstone Piledriver, then plants him hard on the mat. Cornette goes completely limp as the Undertaker then retrieves a body bag from under the ring and bundles the motionless manager inside. "It looks like Jim Cornette has had a brush with death itself," Ross says sombrely. "If Vader was mad before, now he'll be livid," Honky adds with a nervous chuckle. "Maybe that was the Undertaker's plan... or maybe he just wanted to shut Cornette up for good."

The show ends as Undertaker drags the body bag out of the ring and up the aisle. [89]

image.jpeg

Ha! Got them all right this time. Looks like honky-tonk's got his eye on Rocky, a possible feud in the works? And I wouldn't count Jimmy out just yet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, blaustein said:

image.png

image.png

Dark Matches:

image.jpeg

Bradshaw beats down Maivia with a series of power moves including a fallaway slam and russian legsweep, but he can't seem to keep Rocky down beyond a two count! Bradshaw hits the ropes looking for a clubbing Lariat, but Rocky ducks and manages to catch a dazed Bradshaw in a small package for a victory out of nowhere in 6:23! "Well, I'll be darned! I didn't think he had it in him, but I gotta give credit where it's due - Rocky pulled it off!" Honky notes with amazement. [44]

image.jpeg

Meanwhile at ringside, a seething Bradshaw stomps his way back up the entrance ramp - defeated but still standing. [43]

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Aguayo looks to finish Guerrera off with a jumping double boot stomp to the midsection. "He calls that La Lanza," Jim Ross adds. "Blackjack Lanza?" Cornette asks in response. "It's Spanish for 'Spear'," Ross responds, "and I'm sure that's just how it feels." The muscular Cibernetico breaks Perro's cover, and things break down until all six men are hitting high-impact moves! Mil Mascaras tags himself in and goes up high to hit Guerrera with a diving crossbody from the top rope, getting the win in 8:17! The crowd go mild. [44]

image.jpeg

Goldust and Marlena are ringside for HHH's Intercontinental title defence against Flash Funk, but Jerry Lawler starts to call out the Bizarre One on the mouse mic, and Goldust runs him back to the locker room! Later that night, Goldust and Lawler look to settle it in the ring, but the match ends in chaos after HHH comes out and throws Marlena over his shoulder, trying to abduct the director! Goldust gets away from Lawler to rescue his woman, and HHH is met in the aisleway by Marc Mero! It's a four-way fracas that ends with HHH and Lawler beating down Goldust and Mero, and Marlena appearing to be knocked out. [63]

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Cornette is cut off as we go to commercial ahead of the main event. [87]

image.jpeg

With a deliberate and dominant pace, Undertaker dismantles the Goon with all of his signature offence over the next few minutes in an extended one-sided beatdown - including Old School, a Chokeslam and then an emphatic Tombstone Piledriver! Cornette is shocked into silence and goes wide-eyed after the Undertaker stares him down as the referee counts 3 to end the match at 4:31. [68]

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

The show ends as Undertaker drags the body bag out of the ring and up the aisle. [89]

image.jpeg

Excelente!!!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, blaustein said:

image.png

image.png

Dark Matches:

image.jpeg

Bradshaw beats down Maivia with a series of power moves including a fallaway slam and russian legsweep, but he can't seem to keep Rocky down beyond a two count! Bradshaw hits the ropes looking for a clubbing Lariat, but Rocky ducks and manages to catch a dazed Bradshaw in a small package for a victory out of nowhere in 6:23! "Well, I'll be darned! I didn't think he had it in him, but I gotta give credit where it's due - Rocky pulled it off!" Honky notes with amazement. [44]

image.jpeg

Meanwhile at ringside, a seething Bradshaw stomps his way back up the entrance ramp - defeated but still standing.[43]

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Aguayo looks to finish Guerrera off with a jumping double boot stomp to the midsection. "He calls that La Lanza," Jim Ross adds. "Blackjack Lanza?" Cornette asks in response. "It's Spanish for 'Spear'," Ross responds, "and I'm sure that's just how it feels." The muscular Cibernetico breaks Perro's cover, and things break down until all six men are hitting high-impact moves! Mil Mascaras tags himself in and goes up high to hit Guerrera with a diving crossbody from the top rope, getting the win in 8:17! The crowd go mild. [44]

image.jpeg

Goldust and Marlena are ringside for HHH's Intercontinental title defence against Flash Funk, but Jerry Lawler starts to call out the Bizarre One on the mouse mic, and Goldust runs him back to the locker room! Later that night, Goldust and Lawler look to settle it in the ring, but the match ends in chaos after HHH comes out and throws Marlena over his shoulder, trying to abduct the director! Goldust gets away from Lawler to rescue his woman, and HHH is met in the aisleway by Marc Mero! It's a four-way fracas that ends with HHH and Lawler beating down Goldust and Mero, and Marlena appearing to be knocked out. [63]

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Cornette is cut off as we go to commercial ahead of the main event. [87]

image.jpeg

With a deliberate and dominant pace, Undertaker dismantles the Goon with all of his signature offence over the next few minutes in an extended one-sided beatdown - including Old School, a Chokeslam and then an emphatic Tombstone Piledriver! Cornette is shocked into silence and goes wide-eyed after the Undertaker stares him down as the referee counts 3 to end the match at 4:31. [68]

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

The show ends as Undertaker drags the body bag out of the ring and up the aisle. [89]

image.jpeg

Tough start for the Goon but every main eventer is gonna work his way up the card 😁. In all seriousness, this is amazing, the presentation mixed with the great writing makes this a must read. Excited for more!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.png

Welcome to Monday Night Raw! 
Episode #192, January 6th 1997 - Albany, NY

Sirens and flashing lights fill the arena as we get set for the first Raw of 1997! At ringside, Vince McMahon is in fine form as he opens the broadcast: "Welcome everyone to Monday Night Rrrrraw! I'm Vince McMahon and alongside me are my broadcast partners, Jim Ross and Jerry "the King" Lawler! Gentleman, we've got an incredible show tonight."

"That's right, Vince!" chimes in J.R. "Tonight, we're going to see some serious fireworks when Vader meets Bret 'the Hitman' Hart for the first time ever!" Vince lets out a chuckle: "Speaking of Vader, here are some comments from the Mastodon earlier today." We cut to an inset with Vader spitting out a furious promo: "HITMAN! YOU THINK YOU'RE THE BEST THERE IS, THE BEST THERE WAS, AND THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE? BUT WHETHER IT'S PAST, PRESENT OR FUTURE - IT'S TIME, IT'S TIME, IT'S... VADER... TIME! AND UNDERTAKER, YOU'RE NEXT!" J.R. shudders, adding: "Fighting words from Vader. And you'll notice no Jim Cornette at his side - that's all thanks to the Undertaker yesterday on Superstars."

Jerry Lawler cuts in excitedly: "Enough of that! Don't forget, the World Wrestling Federation Champion Sycho Sid is here tonight, and he's going to give that pretty boy Shawn Michaels and old Jose Lothario a piece of his mind! Ha-ha!" Vince regains control of the conversation, noting evenly: "Well, we are informed that Sid wishes to make a so-called apology for his actions at the Survivor Series, when he struck Jose Lothario. Whether Michaels and Lothario will accept that apology remains to be seen. But be that as it may, it's time for our opening contest!" [79]

image.jpeg

The haunted strings of Mankind's theme are followed by the upbeat obnoxious rock of Owen Hart. "This promises to be a most unorthodox meeting of styles," Vince notes as Owen and Mankind face off across the ring, the latter rocking back and forth seated in the corner. "I'm glad Owen brought Clarence Mason with him," Lawler says, "because Mankind looks like he's ready to plead insanity - he's a complete nutcase!"

In the early goings, Owen applies his superior technique to try and outwrestle Mankind, but struggles to inflict any punishment on the larger wrestler. "Mankind is proving impervious to the pain inflicted by Owen Hart," Vince states, before Lawler rebuts quickly: "Oh, he feels pain, McMahon. But the problem is... I think he likes it! He probably thinks Owen is giving him a massage!" Mankind struggles out of a headlock and just begins mauling his opponent, shrieking and hollering as he lays in lefts and rights, then whips Owen into the corner and strikes him with a running knee attack! "Mankind is inflicting some suffering of his own on Hart," Ross adds.

Owen starts to make a comeback, creating some space by pushing Mankind away then hitting a major spinning kick to send his opponent down to the mat. Hart climbs up top and hits a flying nothing - Mankind capitalises by grabbing Owen midair and trying to lock in the Mandible Claw! "Owen Hart's in trouble, this could be it!" J.R. narrates excitedly. But as Mankind tries to force his fingers deeper into Owen's mouth, the canny grappler bites down on them - but it's ineffective!

Owen tries to sandbag his opponent as Mankind keeps the Claw locked in, falling to the ground and struggling to break the hold! "Come on, Owen!" Lawler shouts in encouragement, "think of your Slammys!" Hart's legs hook around the bottom rope and Earl Hebner begins the count to break the hold, but an en-tranced Mankind won't let go! The referee calls for the DQ in 8:11! [73]

image.jpeg

Mankind continues to shriek and writhe as he keeps the Mandible Claw on a convulsing Owen Hart after the match. "Somebody get a straitjacket," King yells, "Mankind's lost it! Even more than usual!" Clarence Mason rolls into the ring and starts shouting legal threats at Mankind, before Bearer enters slowly and without urgency and simply offers the urn to Mankind. With a jerky movement, the masked man breaks the hold and grabs onto the urn for dear life, rocking back and forth and whimpering.

Owen is completely out and still tangled in the ropes. "Where the hell is Owen's partner, that flea-bitten Bulldog?" Jerry Lawler asks. "Now that's a good question, King," J.R. wonders, "do you think Owen asked him to stay in the back? Or maybe there's trouble in Camp Clarence." Vince interjects gruffly between them: "Now, let's have a little decorum here - it's our job to call the action in the ring, not jump to conclusions or speculate about what might be going on behind the scenes." J.R. bristles, replying knowingly: "You got it, boss."  [65]

image.jpeg

We cut to a recap of the first ever Shotgun Saturday Night, featuring all the action from Goldust vs The Sultan, The Godwinns vs The Headbangers, and finally a big brawl between Crush and Ahmed Johnson. The vignette ends with Ahmed overpowering the entire Nation of Domination then hitting one of the Nation's suited associates with a clumsy but effective Pearl River Plunge right on the hood of a car! We then go to a video with Faarooq, Clarence Mason and the suited man, who is wearing a neck brace and bandages around his chest.

Mason points his finger into the camera as he addresses Ahmed: "On Saturday Night, you didn't just attack the Nation of Domination, you committed a criminal act! First, there's the matter of assaulting our respected colleague, D'Lo Brown - that's a class A misdemeanor! Then there's the issue of property damage - in destroying that car you violated section 28.03 of the penal code! And let's not forget the public disturbance you caused - that's disorderly conduct, another felony!" He straightens his tie smugly and nods.

Faarooq strides forward, giving the camera a vicious sneer as he speaks coldly: "If it was up to Clarence, you'd spend the rest of your life behind bars. But that'd be too easy. You've disrespected the Nation of Domination and you've disrespected me. I don't want you in the court-room, I want you one-on-one at the Royal Rumble. And you will face justice. Hood justice." Mason looks a little irked as he adjusts his glasses, but remains silent.

"Wasn't that Clarence Mason just at ringside?" Lawler asks. "Mr. Mason represents a great many clients in the WWF," Vince McMahon notes without really answering the question. "That was recorded earlier, King," J.R. sighs.  [48]

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

We then cut backstage to Dok Hendrix, who introduces a disgruntled Steve Austin. Austin scowls at Hendrix as he notes: "Many are calling 1996 a break-out year for Stone Cold Steve Austin - winning the King of the Ring tournament, a major rivalry with the Hitman Bret Hart - what's next for you in 1997?" Austin simply grabs the microphone from Hendrix and addresses the camera in his trademark ranting style.

"So, it's that time of year again, huh? Makin' all your little New Year's Resolutions. You got everybody sittin' at home on their fat asses, makin' their little lists. Well, I ain't got time for none of that crap, son! In 1997, Stone Cold has a different kind of list - a list of sorry sacks of trash that are gonna get their asses whooped! First up is Bret Hart: I don't give a damn about your legacy or how many titles you've won or how many little brats you've made smile, all I care about is whippin' your ass from one side of this ring to the other, and that's exactly what I'm going to do."

"And next on the list, I'm going to take what's rightfully mine - the WWF Championship. And I don't care if it's that pretty boy Shawn Michaels or that six foot nine, three-hundred pounds of trash Sid - you better watch your backs. And then the rest of my resolutions are simple: I'm gonna raise hell, drink beer and whoop ass. And that's the bottom line, 'cause Stone Cold said so!" He slams the microphone down on the ground and strides off, as Dok Hendrix simply shrugs. [81]

image.jpeg

We return from commercial with a match in progress - the dynamic Can-Am Express versus Diesel and Razor Ramon!
"This match has major Tag Team title implications," Jim Ross notes. "Indeed, Big Daddy Cool and the Bad Guy came up short at In Your House, but I'm sure they'd love another shot at Owen and the Bulldog," Vince responds. "And what about these other guys?" Lawler asks. "The Can-Can Express, what are they, French dancers?" Vince hums awkwardly: "Well, Phil LaFon has proud French-Canadian heritage, but Doug Furnas is from the United States." "He's from Oklahoma," J.R. adds insistently.

The match is much less interesting than the commentary - Diesel and Razor beat down LaFon until Furnas gets a hot tag and cleans house. Diesel goes charging at Furnas, who ducks and sends the big man sailing over the top rope! He tags in to LaFon, who gets cut off by Ramon - but manages to wriggle out of the Razor's Edge crucifix position to score an inside cradle win! "The Can-Can Express win it," Lawler shrieks, "now let's see a high kick!" Ross grumbles but ignores him: "The Can-AM Express have just beaten the former number one contenders - that's got to put them in contention for a shot at the champions." [44]

image.jpeg

We then go backstage to Dok Hendrix standing by with Bret Hart: "Bret, you've got a lot on your plate right now - a feud with Steve Austin, some mutual disrespect with Shawn Michaels, and of course, in tonight's main event - the Mastodon, Vader. Are you taking on too much?" Bret gives a confident smile as he answers: "You know, Dok, it's funny how things work around here. Sid may hold the WWF World Heavyweight Championship, but everybody wants a piece of the Hitman. Austin, you call yourself the toughest SOB in the WWF, but being tough isn't enough when you're in the ring with the Excellence of Execution. And Shawn Michaels--"

Dok hurriedly interrupts: "Bret, I hate to cut you off, but we've just got word that we need to go to the ring - Sycho Sid is making his apology!" Bret looks visibly irritated as we cut to the ring, where the towering Sid is already ranting on the mic. "YOU KNOW, PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SAYING I WENT TOO FAR WHEN I ATTACKED JOSE LOTHARIO AT SURVIVOR SERIES. AND MAYBE I DID. SHAWN MICHAELS, YOU WANT AN APOLOGY? YOU WANT ME TO SAY I'M SORRY? ALRIGHT, FINE - HERE'S YOUR APOLOGY, SHAWN."

Sid lowers the mic and paces around the ring restlessly, as if contemplating his next words. He then suddenly bursts into a maniacal laugh, his wide eyes full of intensity. "I'M SORRY I DIDN'T DO IT SOONER! I'M SORRY I DIDN'T KNOCK THAT OLD FOSSIL'S TEETH DOWN HIS THROAT THE FIRST CHANCE I GOT! AND I'M SORRY THAT WHEN I GET MY HANDS ON YOU AGAIN AT THE ROYAL RUMBLE, SHAWN, I'M GONNA EMBARRASS YOU IN FRONT OF ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY! BECAUSE I'M THE RULER OF THE WORLD AND I'M NOT AFRAID OF NOTHING!" Paradoxically, Sid is afraid of everything.

Sid grins from ear to ear, but he's taken aback when Shawn Michaels' theme plays and the Showstopper prances down to do color commentary, completely ignoring the WWF Champion! "McMahon, King, J.R., how are ya?" Michaels says cheerfully as he grabs a headset. "Big time main event tonight, huh?" Sid looks furious and grabs a WWF cameraman by the scruff of his neck, taking him off to the back - camera and all! "Uh, there goes our World Wrestling Federation Champion, with a member of the broadcast team in tow - I wonder what he's up to," Vince states in confusion. Shawn waves at a female fan in the crowd, blowing her a kiss. [81]

image.jpeg

We return from commercials as Bret and Vader make their entrances. "Folks, this one is going to be a clash of styles - technical prowess versus raw power," Ross notes. Vader lunges at Bret early, but the Hitman delivers sharp kicks to the Mastodon's legs, trying to chop the big man down. "Smart strategy by Bret," J.R. adds, "targeting Vader's vertical base." Yet Vader remains standing and eventually gets his hands on Hart, throwing him halfway across the ring and then starting to wear him down with clubbing blows! "Y'know, if Bret was half the wrestler he thinks he is, maybe he'd have a chance," an easygoing Shawn brags, "I took care of Vader at Summerslam '96 but whether it's in the ring or in bed, Bret just doesn't measure up to the Heartbreak Kid!"

Vince quickly interjects to change the conversation: "Be that as it may, the Hitman is nothing but resilient. Let's see how this one turns out." The crowd rally behind Bret, willing him back into the match, as he escapes a headlock and staggers Vader with a dropkick, then hits the ropes and delivers a flying forearm to finally take the big man off his feet! "I don't believe it!" Vince yells. "I think that one measured on the Richter scale," King quips in response. Bret manages to keep the Mastodon grounded, continuing to working on his legs as he softens him up for the Sharpshooter - but when he tries to lock his legs around Vader's own, the enormous man sends him sprawling backwards where he collides with Jimmy Korderas, sending the referee down to the mat!

Vader catches his breath as Bret turns to try and revive Korderas, but suddenly Stone Cold Steve Austin runs down the ramp and slides into the ring with malicious intent. He stalks Bret, waiting for the right moment, and as he turns around, he lays the Hitman out with a Stone Cold Stunner! "It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy," Shawn mocks. "How can you say that?" Ross demands. Vader rises up and drags Bret over to the corner as the referee revives - the Mastodon climbs up to the second rope and hits a powerful Vader Bomb! "This can't be happening - not like this!" Ross yells, as Vader gets the 1-2-3 in 8:51. [82]

image.jpeg

Austin shoots the motionless Bret a malicious smirk as he jumps into the unruly crowd and marches off. "A victory for the Mastodon," McMahon speaks evenly, "with a controversial assist from the Texas Rattlesnake." J.R. groans in response: "Call it what it is, Vince - this is a damn travesty." Shawn is just smirking to himself, adding insincerely: "Looks like Bret Hart just can't catch a break, J.R. Oh well."

Vader is interviewed by Dok Hendrix at ringside, starting to yell: "UNDERTAKER, DID YOU SEE THAT? I'M GONNA--" Suddenly Vince speaks over the Mastodon with a worried sense of urgency: "Ladies and gentleman, we're being told we have footage from Shawn Michaels' locker room..." Michaels' self-satisfied look suddenly vanishes as we cut to Sycho Sid beating down a helpless Jose Lothario, filmed by the WWF cameraman he abducted earlier! "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS, SHAWN!" Lothario is breathing raggedly as he lays limply on the floor, and Sid gives him another stomp for good measure. "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS!"

Michaels throws off his headset with a look of sudden vulnerability and silently rushes up the ramp. "Ladies and gentleman, that's all we have time for tonight, but we'll be sure to bring you an update on this developing situation," McMahon promises. "Has the champion Sycho Sid succeeded in getting into the head of Shawn Michaels ahead of next Sunday's Royal Rumble?" [77]

image.jpeg

Show Rating: [79] 

image.jpeg

image.png

I hope you enjoyed the first week of shows! Hopefully you appreciate that while we're taking things slow with the weekly updates, it's in the service of really bringing the shows to life with the right level of detail.

Pick 'ems results for this week and next week's predictions will be posted tomorrow!

Edited by blaustein
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, blaustein said:

Hopefully you appreciate that while we're taking things slow with the weekly updates, it's in the service of really bringing the shows to life with the right level of detail.

I don't think you have taken things slowly, just the right pace to follow along. One little thing I also appreciate is that you are making unique backgrounds on pics of wrestlers for different shows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The thing is ... this actually feels a lot like the WWF did back then, it's easy for anyone to take stuff and just do it like they want it's harder to do it like they DID. Over time it will change into how you would have done things but at the start this feels right for what the world was like.

Excelente!!!

• Thanks 1

image.png

Thanks to everyone that participated! I really enjoyed your amusing comments, but I have to give an extra point for two that made me laugh out loud: @Kieran_Lives "Bobby Duncum Jr. costs Bret on Raw and gets thrust into a main event feud" and @TheYEAHMovement "The best part of Sunday Morning Superstars was when the Goon said "Its goonin' time" and gooned all over the Undertaker"

tenor.gif

Here's where everyone is as of the end of January Week 1! Two users lead the pack but there's still all to play for by the end of January, where the winner gets to choose a new signing to join the WWF roster!

10/12 - @Kieran_Lives @Kirby

8/12 - @sonny912 @phoenixnitro @CharDeeMacDennis @Dawn

7/12 - @TheAwesomeZero101 @Njord @alpha2117 @Blodyxe @Lord Byron 

6/12 - @arlovski

5/12 - @Teasenitryn @TheYEAHMovement

4/12 - @Jason Phoenix

image.jpeg

The second week of 1997 features: a battle royal for the inaugural Shotgun Sheriff Badge on Saturday Night; the most sadistic and dominant competitor in the WWF is in action... against Sycho Sid on Sunday Morning; and there's a clash of super-heavyweights in Raw's main event! There are another 12 points to play for - 11 for guessing the correct winners of matches, and 1 for guessing any of Stone Cold's opponents during the gauntlet main event. You can make your picks up until Saturday.

WEEK 2 January 7th to 14th 1997

Shotgun Saturday Night #2 
Shotgun Sheriff Badge, 10 Man Battle Royal: Ahmed Johnson vs Faarooq vs Mr. Bob Backlund vs PG-13 vs The Godwinns vs The Headbangers vs The Sultan
Abismo Negro/Heavy Metal vs Hector Garza & Latin Lover
Salvatore Sincere vs The Undertaker
Slobberknocker: Stone Cold vs Opponents TBD
BONUS: Correctly guess any of Stone Cold's opponents
 Comments: 

Sunday Morning Superstars #535 
No. 1 Contender, WWF World Tag Team Championship: Can-Am Express vs Mankind/The Executioner
4v4 Over the Top Rope Challenge: British Bulldog/Crush/Justin Hawk Bradshaw/Leif Cassidy vs Jake Roberts/Rocky Maivia/Bart Gunn/Bob Holly
Octagon/Perro Aguayo vs Pierroth/Cibernetico

Sycho Sid vs The Goon
 Comments: 

Monday Night Raw #193 
Goldust/Marc Mero vs HHH/Jerry Lawler
British Bulldog vs Rocky Maivia
Crush vs The Undertaker
 Comments: 

Edited by blaustein
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, blaustein said:

The second week of 1997 features: a battle royal for the inaugural Shotgun Sheriff Badge on Saturday Night; the most sadistic and dominant competitor in the WWF is in action... against Sycho Sid on Sunday Morning; and there's a clash of super-heavyweights in Raw's main event! There are another 12 points to play for - 11 for guessing the correct winners of matches, and 1 for guessing any of Stone Cold's opponents during the gauntlet main event. You can make your picks up until Saturday.

WEEK 2 January 7th to 14th 1997

Shotgun Saturday Night #2 
Shotgun Sheriff Badge, 10 Man Battle Royal: Ahmed Johnson vs Faarooq vs Mr. Bob Backlund vs PG-13 vs The Godwinns vs The Headbangers vs The Sultan

Seems like the most interesting option here.
Abismo Negro/Heavy Metal vs Hector Garza & Latin Lover

Now that I'm thinking about it, was AAA associated with WCW as well at the time?
Salvatore Sincere vs The Undertaker

He beat the Goon, he can beat anyone
Slobberknocker: Stone Cold vs Opponents TBD
BONUS: Correctly guess any of Stone Cold's opponents

Guessing Terry Funk as one of the opponents.
 Comments: 

Sunday Morning Superstars #535 
No. 1 Contender, WWF World Tag Team Championship: Can-Am Express vs Mankind/The Executioner

Sorry Can-Am Express, this ain't All Japan
8 Man Over the Top Rope Challenge: British Bulldog/Crush/Justin Hawk Bradshaw/Leif Cassidy vs Jake Roberts/Rocky Maivia/Bart Gunn/Bob Holly

Any team with Bob Holly aint winning anything
Octagon/Perro Aguayo vs Pierroth/Cibernetico

My knowledge of luchadors in 1997 is lacking.
Sycho Sid vs The Goon
 Comments: WE GOON ON SATURDAY NIGHTS MAGGLE!

Monday Night Raw #193 
Goldust/Marc Mero vs HHH/Jerry Lawler

I feel like Goldust's suffering continues
British Bulldog vs Rocky Maivia

He'll win whether he wants to or not.
Crush vs The Undertaker

Taker crushes Crush.
 Comments: 

Edited by TheAwesomeZero101
Updated predictions
  • Thanks 1