Move the "Defaults" picture folder back in with the skins

I don't know why this was changed but with the way the set up for skins are right now, you can only use a singular skin with a specific mod unless you remember to change the "Defaults" folder in the pic pack that you are using. As an Autistic person who tends to get bored with graphical designs quickly. The fact I need to

• Close the game
  • Find the RAR file of what skin mod I want to use
  • Delete everything out of the defaults folder in the pic pack
  • Extract the defaults folder from the RAR into the folder itself

Every time I want to change graphics is absolutely ludicrous. If this can be fixed, I'd appreciate it. I do not understand this change at all and it feels like it just is making the skins harder to use with zero reasoning as to why.

3 hours ago, Chikbot said:

I don't know why this was changed but with the way the set up for skins are right now, you can only use a singular skin with a specific mod unless you remember to change the "Defaults" folder in the pic pack that you are using. As an Autistic person who tends to get bored with graphical designs quickly. The fact I need to

• Close the game
  • Find the RAR file of what skin mod I want to use
  • Delete everything out of the defaults folder in the pic pack
  • Extract the defaults folder from the RAR into the folder itself

Every time I want to change graphics is absolutely ludicrous. If this can be fixed, I'd appreciate it. I do not understand this change at all and it feels like it just is making the skins harder to use with zero reasoning as to why.

There are many more people making mods than there are people making skins, if a mod uses a different cut style it looks incredibly ugly in game without changing the defaults. This setup means that you don’t have to have a new skin for every mod that wants to use a different gif cut style. I really hope this isn’t changed because in the long term it would be much more inconvenient.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Markw said:

There are many more people making mods than there are people making skins, if a mod uses a different cut style it looks incredibly ugly in game without changing the defaults. This setup means that you don’t have to have a new skin for every mod that wants to use a different gif cut style. I really hope this isn’t changed because in the long term it would be much more inconvenient.

For literally every other image from the defaults folder I agree it should come from the picture pack however the 'vs' picture from the match booking page should prioritise coming from the skin over the picture pack. 

Edited by tana
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, tana said:

For literally every other image from the defaults folder I agree it should come from the picture pack however the 'vs' picture from the match booking page should prioritise coming from the skin over the picture pack. 

It doesn’t have to be included

1 hour ago, tana said:

I think this is more of what I meant. Anything that's in the totality of the skin itself should be in the skin folder. I shouldn't have to quit the game and edit the files every time I want to make a skin work properly in game. I'm not one to care if it aesthetically works with the pictures. I just want the ability to easily change skins. 

As Idolized alluded to, they don't have to be included because all the default images are also included in the skin folders. If you're using a different skin to the original and they've updated all the graphics accordingly, go to the "Defaults" folder from your desired databases "Pictures" folder and delete the individual images from within that folder that don't match the new skin and/or the pictures that you're having issues with. The game will automatically use the images from the skins "Graphics" folder instead. That way, when you're moving from one database to another, it'll work like it did with previous iterations of TEW.

As Mark pointed out though, this is still the best way to do it as modification makers have more control over what people are seeing, and I'm sure it'll be used to great advantages in the near future.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mammoth said:

The game will automatically use the images from the skins "Graphics" folder instead. That way, when you're moving from one database to another, it'll work like it did with previous iterations of TEW.

In TEW2020 the 'vs' image came from the skin graphics folder, now it comes from the picture pack per Adam in a tech support thread I made a few weeks ago when I couldn't figure out why the  image wasn't changing when I was changing it in the skin folder.

Surely it just makes more sense for it to come from the skin when that's where the skin maker would make it align with the intended graphics of the background & style? That specific image is going to be made for the skin and not the picture pack so why would it come from there unless it's some technical limitation?

3 hours ago, tana said:

In TEW2020 the 'vs' image came from the skin graphics folder, now it comes from the picture pack per Adam in a tech support thread I made a few weeks ago when I couldn't figure out why the  image wasn't changing when I was changing it in the skin folder.

Surely it just makes more sense for it to come from the skin when that's where the skin maker would make it align with the intended graphics of the background & style? That specific image is going to be made for the skin and not the picture pack so why would it come from there unless it's some technical limitation?

It's not a technical limitation, it was a suggestion implemented by Adam to allow modification makers greater control over things in the old "Defaults" folder of a skin. The "vs" image, as you say, will largely be used in conjunction with the skin but that's not to say modifications won't use them as well. For example, if I built a fantasy modification with Mortal Kombat characters within, I might want to take the "vs" from the games. 

If your sole issue is with the "vs", like I said, delete the "vs" image from the "Pictures > 'X Modification' > Defaults" folder and it'll automatically use the "vs" from the skins "Graphics" folder instead. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1