Change Some Wording, Perhaps?

So I notice that battle royals are still called "10-Man", "15-Man", "20-Man", etc. Shouldn't it be "10-Person", "15-Person", "20-Person", etc.? I don't know, just a minor suggestion. Maybe we should have a "Minor Suggestions Thread", like the typos thing but for things that would just be like, changing some text on the screen or making some other really simple changes. 

So what's your new name suggestion? I also feel it's a little generic but it's effective and doesn't take up too much space or too many characters in the greater scheme. I am sure if Adam did all that he wanted, we wouldn't be able to start a game because the database would already be full and we wouldn't even be able to load in.

In lieu of this, I support simple, generic, short and sweet wordings.

10 hours ago, thadian said:

So what's your new name suggestion? I also feel it's a little generic but it's effective and doesn't take up too much space or too many characters in the greater scheme. I am sure if Adam did all that he wanted, we wouldn't be able to start a game because the database would already be full and we wouldn't even be able to load in.

In lieu of this, I support simple, generic, short and sweet wordings.

I'm mostly just suggesting we change the word "man" to "person". Like, yes, it gets the point across, but it's also outdated wording, and doesn't take women or any other gender into account. It does on the recap screen, but not when booking, which is another weird part, to me, it seems inconsistent.

Then I 100% support calling it "person", especially because it does take into account on the results/recaps.

I do still prefer some gender limiting terms, sometimes it provides positive distinction. For example, if I have a Men's, Women's, and Intergender Champion, the gender declarations add positive distinction. On the other hand, match types should definitely be non-gendered.

I will say I like consistency - meaning, "in what areas should the game use gender neutral language, and in what areas should the game use gendered language", so that it's consistent about the where/whens, and letting the player control as much of it as possible.

• Like 1

Doesn't the game use whatever name you give a match in the Match Name box anyway? I'm pretty sure it just displays whatever you named it, say 'so-and-so won a Battle Riot' instead of 'won a Battle Royal'. If that's what you mean, you can just search all match names with 'man' in the editor and rename them to neutral versions.

Just now, GrindhouseArts said:

Doesn't the game use whatever name you give a match in the Match Name box anyway? I'm pretty sure it just displays whatever you named it, say 'so-and-so won a Battle Riot' instead of 'won a Battle Royal'. If that's what you mean, you can just search all match names with 'man' in the editor and rename them to neutral versions.

Oh yeah, I guess that would be a database problem, rather than a core game problem.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, GrindhouseArts said:

Ah, so that is what you meant. I was wondering if the names are hardcoded somewhere and can't be changed.

I mean, there might still be some things like that, and if they are they should be changed, but I haven't found any thus far.

Edited by Spoons

41 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I mean, there might still be some things like that, and if they are they should be changed, but I haven't found any thus far.

Attributes. 'Mr. Finale', 'Squash Master', 'Iron Man'. 'Career Woman' if you want to get technical. But they don't show up in flavor text.