Organic Companies and Random Debut Companies

This is part tech support and part suggestion, I think. I'm using a version of the Effganic database and simming into the future with organic companies turned on. I've noticed that organic companies are created when there's a critical mass of workers available in a specific area. However, before creating a company, it would be good if the AI checked for eligible owners. This would stop the situation of these companies opening and then doing nothing for years because no one can take over as owner.

"Well, that sounds like a database problem."

I somewhat agree! So, here's the tech support portion of my post. Started a new sim. Turned off organic companies. The Effganic database has a number of companies set for Random debuts. I edited the Eras to disable companies from opening in certain game areas where I didn't want them. Despite being disabled in Eras, these Random companies were still opening (triggered on a similar time table as the organic companies were). Disabling new companies in Eras should do what it says on the tin.

Thanks Adam! Let me know if you need more info.

• Like 1

This makes a lot of sense to me. And while one could say it is a database problem I find most databases are built for the past and present. So eventually workers retire, become owners, etc but until that happens there can be a real lack of owners.  I think the idea for the AI to check for eligible owners is a good one.

If there's a mass of workers it makes sense that the company is opened to give them a place to work. I'd like to see in this case that an owner is generated so the promotion can open, or "market forces" create an owner. Let's say there's a worker who is set to become an owner at 45, but is currently 40 and unemployed (and has been for a while). I can see a scenario where this person sees an opportunity to start a promotion as their way to stay in the business, and converts to an owner earlier than expected.

• Adam Ryland changed the title to Organic Companies and Random Debut Companies
12 hours ago, MainOffender said:

This is part tech support and part suggestion, I think. I'm using a version of the Effganic database and simming into the future with organic companies turned on. I've noticed that organic companies are created when there's a critical mass of workers available in a specific area. However, before creating a company, it would be good if the AI checked for eligible owners. This would stop the situation of these companies opening and then doing nothing for years because no one can take over as owner.

I think a better solution is the current method where, if a company goes through a set number of unsuccessful attempts to attract an owner, the game will generate a new owner character in that area, and continue to do so at set intervals. This has the added advantage that the user can step in and import / generate their own owner characters if they want. Barring companies from opening at all if no owners are found would be less useful, in my opinion, as it would potentially totally stagnate the game world if it isn't set up properly, as well as precluding the user avatar from applying from a job with a freshly generated company.

12 hours ago, MainOffender said:

I somewhat agree! So, here's the tech support portion of my post. Started a new sim. Turned off organic companies. The Effganic database has a number of companies set for Random debuts. I edited the Eras to disable companies from opening in certain game areas where I didn't want them. Despite being disabled in Eras, these Random companies were still opening (triggered on a similar time table as the organic companies were). Disabling new companies in Eras should do what it says on the tin.

That is addressed in 1.18.

• Like 1