TEW 2007 and Multi-Player

Will there be any change to the Multi-Player system for the 2007 version? I am really hoping that the 2007 game will have a decent MP system that use a host, or hotseat, or what ever you call it. The 2005 version of MP was just way to slow to be of any fun. Having to wait on every single owner to take their turn and then email their file to the next owner was crazy-slow. This would be a huge upgrade for me over the 2005 version.

I think WrongWay is talking about hotseat where the game would be hosted on one person's computer and everyone else would connect to that computer and have access to the database that is hosted on that computer by having all of their games linking together across the internet... but I would think that would be extremely difficult to do if you happen to be someone who has never coded anything like that.

I am talking about how every other text sim out there lets one player run the stage files on their computer while all other owners in the league either email their files in or upload their stage files. That way everyone's stage files are completed by 1 person and run on the same day. Having to pass the league file from owner to owner, so they can run their stage takes forever. It should not be difficult to set it up like all the other MP text sims do with 1 league Commisioner running a single stage file.

[QUOTE=WrongWay;135902]It should not be difficult to set it up like all the other MP text sims do with 1 league Commisioner running a single stage file.[/QUOTE] Well I'm afraid I have to disagree there. Other sports have the advantage of having carefully set out rules and regulations, which makes it very easy to do what you are suggesting. Wrestling has virtually no rules, as obviously there is no governing body, which is why "anything can happen" - and that unpredictability is why you can't really do what you are saying. Just to give you one example off the top of my head, even the very basic concept of the game, booking, cannot be done in this system. That is because whoever is holding the second show cannot do his booking until the first player is done, because he doesn't know who he has access to before then (as player one may also have the same wrestlers under contract, and people can't work twice in one night). That's not a problem you have in any other sport, as no other sport has players who regularly turn out for several different teams at once! Rarely do you see the quarterback for Miami turn up playing for New York two nights later, under a mask as "The Amazing Mystery Man". And no, I have no idea if Miami and New York have football teams, I'm just guessing for the sake of making the example clearer :D

You could, but you're missing the main point that my example was the first thing that came to mind, there are about a hundred other times when wrestling's complete lack of regulations means having one player be a "commissioner" is not a viable option. That type of system only works when you have lots of rules in place, and everything is standardised. Football, basketball, hockey, they all have very clear rules and restrictions. Wrestling, by its very nature of not being a true competitive sport, doesn't work in that way.

You might be able to streamline in a play-by-email feature, Adam, where the game automatically sends an email to the next player with the files that are needed. Then the receiving player's game can automatically catch the email and update the files.

[QUOTE=JWideman;136081]You might be able to streamline in a play-by-email feature, Adam, where the game automatically sends an email to the next player with the files that are needed. Then the receiving player's game can automatically catch the email and update the files.[/QUOTE] It'd be nice, but that would mean having to license a zipping utility, which is expensive - I'm not prepared to raise the price to cover the cost of that, especially when it's a pretty simple task for the player to "zip 'n' mail" themselves. If it was difficult to zip the files and e-mail them I'd consider it, but although it's repetitive, it's also fairly simple.

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland;136258]It'd be nice, but that would mean having to license a zipping utility, which is expensive - I'm not prepared to raise the price to cover the cost of that, especially when it's a pretty simple task for the player to "zip 'n' mail" themselves. If it was difficult to zip the files and e-mail them I'd consider it, but although it's repetitive, it's also fairly simple.[/QUOTE] There are open source compression systems now.

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland;136330]I'm not aware of many that allow you to take the source and use if for commercial products? If you know of one that does, I'd definitely be interested in seeing it.[/QUOTE] I think 7-Zip does . . . On a similar subject, though, Adam, why not make the multi-player feature possible to play over a LAN? TEW is one of the only games I know of that's multi-player and doesn't have LAN support. The current "hotseat" method of multi-player just doesn't work at all, as it takes way too long and is way too boring.

Archived