New England Captain

The Ego

[QUOTE=panix04;135590]i was gonna go for good old Peter crouch, we could march our way C3-PO style to the European championship Final! Im glad they didn'y give it to Stevie G though, he never seems to give as much in an England shirt as he does a liverpool one.[/QUOTE] Oh pur-leez!!! Stevie G gives it his all every time he puts an England shirt. We wouldn't have got as far as we did in the World Cup if it wasn't for him! John Terry's performance was dismal, one thing springs to mind was the game against Ecuador when he completely missed the ball and almost led to a goal. From what i've seen, Terry doesn't seem to have his mind on the game when he plays for England. (and no, i'm not a Liverpool fan if you think that's why i'm praising Stevie G!)

I think you are mistaken about Gerards peformance's in an England Jersey, credit were it is due he does play well for England but not as well as he plays for liverpool. In the FA Cup final Stevie G was immense a god amongst mortals and thats not easy to say - cos im a West Ham fan! It isn't the 1st time i have seen such inspirational peformances from the squinting scouser either, The champions league final Gerard played every single ball that night and there was no way Milan were beating liverpool, you could have stuck Gerard with Acrington Stanleys B side on that form and he would have inspired them to victory! Being totally neutral i have to say that Liverpool have a solid side, but in no way, shape or form are they world beaters and Gerard often helps Liverpool over achieve. Yet you put him in the England side, surrounded by quality and he lacks the edge he gives the Liverpool side. Im not saying leave him out ( although personally i think its difficult to have 2 attacking midfielders in the centre of the park) I just think until we see the Stevie G that took down my boys in the cup final we shouldn't be seeing him with the captains armband. But on to the subject of Terry, i think there is nobody better for the England job, he is a good old fashioned English centre hald who would die for his country if required. And to say he had a bad world cup really does him a dis-service. What about the goal line clearences, the last ditch tackles? Lets not forget that playing in a side with Paul Robinson in goal, England left the world cup with one of the best defensive records of any of the sides. Now thats an achievment. I think McClaren has made a good choice for skipper and Having Gerrard as his deputy is also a good decision. I think the real shock is his decision to omit Beckham from the squad. I think everyone would agrre Becks had a poor world cup but he still scored a goal and assisted 2 more that means in essense he was responsible in some way for 50% of Englands goals in the tournament.

[QUOTE=panix04;135934]I think you are mistaken about Gerards peformance's in an England Jersey, credit were it is due he does play well for England but not as well as he plays for liverpool. In the FA Cup final Stevie G was immense a god amongst mortals and thats not easy to say - cos im a West Ham fan! It isn't the 1st time i have seen such inspirational peformances from the squinting scouser either, The champions league final Gerard played every single ball that night and there was no way Milan were beating liverpool, you could have stuck Gerard with Acrington Stanleys B side on that form and he would have inspired them to victory![/QUOTE] Gerrard's performance in the FA Cup Final and the Champions League Final was simply phenomenal. But as you say that's at Liverpool, but he's bound to look fantastic there because hands down he's their best player. Put him in a squad filled with the likes of Lampard, Rooney and Joe Cole however and he wont [I]look[/I] as good because he's more on par with them. Plus he doesn't play with that team for 75% of the year round, add different formations aswell and it's bound to affect his game. [QUOTE=panix04]Being totally neutral i have to say that Liverpool have a solid side, but in no way, shape or form are they world beaters and Gerard often helps Liverpool over achieve. Yet you put him in the England side, surrounded by quality and he lacks the edge he gives the Liverpool side. Im not saying leave him out (although personally i think its difficult to have 2 attacking midfielders in the centre of the park) I just think until we see the Stevie G that took down my boys in the cup final we shouldn't be seeing him with the captains armband.[/QUOTE] I very much doubt you will ever see that Stevie G in the England squad because I can't see any England manager dropping Lampard, who by the way I thought had the worst World Cup of any of our players. Then again, maybe if we gave him the captain's armband that would light the fire inside him and inspire him to inspire others. It would also make more sense to have the captain in midfield as he's central to the team, how's John Terry going to inspire Owen and Rooney from the other end of the pitch?! [QUOTE=panix04]But on to the subject of Terry, i think there is nobody better for the England job, he is a good old fashioned English centre hald who would die for his country if required. And to say he had a bad world cup really does him a dis-service. What about the goal line clearences, the last ditch tackles? Lets not forget that playing in a side with Paul Robinson in goal, England left the world cup with one of the best defensive records of any of the sides. Now thats an achievment.[/QUOTE] You're also doing a dis-service to Paul Robinson and other defenders. Ferdinand did a more than capable job and, unlike Terry, he stayed in position. Too often during the World Cup you'd see Terry defending at the left back position, admittedly that was partly due to Ashley Cole loitering around the midfield though. [QUOTE=panix04]I think McClaren has made a good choice for skipper and Having Gerrard as his deputy is also a good decision. I think the real shock is his decision to omit Beckham from the squad. I think everyone would agrre Becks had a poor world cup but he still scored a goal and assisted 2 more that means in essense he was responsible in some way for 50% of Englands goals in the tournament.[/QUOTE] I could be swayed either way on Beckham being included or not. He's by far the best free-kick taker in the world in my opinion and he provides fantastic balls into the box for the strikers to latch on to. But I maybe wouldn't include him because he's not the quickest of players, can't tackle to save his life and we've got adequate cover for free-kicks in the form of Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney and Richardson. (and as for Accrington Stanley... who are they? :D)

I must admit Ferdinand did have a solid world cup, but that is the 1st time he has looked solid for England or United in a long, long time. He is prone to being over-confident in his own ability and trying to take on players. I sometimes think "Dir, theres a reason you play centre half Rio!" as for Robinson, i think he's over-rated, sure he's the best we have, but i dont think that makes him good! England needed to start grooming Seamens replacement a lot earlier than they did and we are suffering for that now with someone as unspectacular as Robinson in goal. As for John Terrys positioning, i think his forays forward are usually pretty fruitful. Admitedly moreso when we have a set piece but i think JT shows the composure to bring the ball out of defence. Admitedly those are traits usually more associated with a full back but Terry is far too good in the air to be lumbered on the flanks. As for having a centre half as captain, i think it actually is more of a benefit to the team than a centre-mid, a centre back can see the whole of the pitch and identify problem areas more adequetly than a midfielder, a point that has been proved many times with such great captains as Tony Adam's, Steve Bruce and lets not forget arguably Englands finest captain (based on the fact he's the only one to win anything) Bobby Moore.

[QUOTE=panix04;135964]I must admit Ferdinand did have a solid world cup, but that is the 1st time he has looked solid for England or United in a long, long time. He is prone to being over-confident in his own ability and trying to take on players. I sometimes think "Dir, theres a reason you play centre half Rio!" [/QUOTE] I wouldn't say "a long, long time". He played well for United last season and was one of the reasons we were able to at least maintain some pressure on Chelsea. And he still looked solid despite Fergie putting him in midfield on occasion due to the injury crisis. [QUOTE=panix04] as for Robinson, i think he's over-rated, sure he's the best we have, but i dont think that makes him good! England needed to start grooming Seamens replacement a lot earlier than they did and we are suffering for that now with someone as unspectacular as Robinson in goal.[/QUOTE] I wouldn't say he's over-rated, he pulled off some truly fantastic saves during the World Cup. Plus I think the only reason he doesn't get many clean sheets at Spurs is down to the defence. Anyway, at least we've got a young goalkeeper that can improve, he's only 26 isn't he? [QUOTE=panix04]As for John Terrys positioning, i think his forays forward are usually pretty fruitful. Admitedly moreso when we have a set piece but i think JT shows the composure to bring the ball out of defence. Admitedly those are traits usually more associated with a full back but Terry is far too good in the air to be lumbered on the flanks.[/QUOTE] I agree that Terry's great in the air and he's very useful to have up front during set pieces. I just don't agree with Ashley Cole leggin' it down the left wing and then strolling back, and because of that Terry then moves over to the left. I'd much rather he stayed put in the middle because then if a winger crosses a ball in he'll be there to head it clear. [QUOTE=panix04]As for having a centre half as captain, i think it actually is more of a benefit to the team than a centre-mid, a centre back can see the whole of the pitch and identify problem areas more adequetly than a midfielder, a point that has been proved many times with such great captains as Tony Adam's, Steve Bruce and lets not forget arguably Englands finest captain (based on the fact he's the only one to win anything) Bobby Moore.[/QUOTE] People could argue all day long about where is the best place to have your captain and i'll admit that the examples you've given were all great captains, especially Tony Adams. For me though, Roy Keane is an example of a great captain in midfield. Admittedly I might be slightly biased being a Man Utd fan (cue the boos and hisses!) but I don't think anyone could argue with how influential Roy Keane was to the team.

Keano was an amazing captain, a true inspiration. Even when he was getting sent off on a pretty rgeular basis i loved him. I guess i like him so much because he played the game like a man. Sure he fouled people, but he was never sly or devious he was just hard. Like when he done is cruciate whilst trying to hack Alfe Inge Haaland in his biography he's quoted as saying the Haaland had acused him of diving and it set him off! I kinda like that, im a big fan of 'hard-nut' players, Julian Dicks, Stuart Pearce, Hell even Neil Ruddock! In many ways they are the anti-thesis of Cristiano Ronaldo.But thats a whole other debate! I do agree though there have been some very good centre-mid captains and keane is amongst the best of 'em.

[QUOTE=panix04;135988]Sure he fouled people, but he was never sly or devious he was just hard[/QUOTE] I couldn't have put it better myself!! ;) I also like players who aren't afraid to get stuck in, just at Man Utd we've had Dennis Irwin and Eric Cantona and have got Paul Scholes, Alan Smith, Rooney, Heinze and Gary Neville to name but a few. However, the one that stands out in my mind despite not being the greatest footballer in the world but being pure entertainment, the one, the only.... Vinnie Jones! I've never laughed so hard in all my life when he gave Gazza's nuts a squeeze! :D

Vinny is a complete Ledge, and he's such an entertaining actor, Ok he's not the kinda guy who can play a variety of roles - in fact he pretty much plays a version of himself in every film he's in (mean machine anybody?) But i love his character and his 'press feud' with Gary Linekar was hilarious!

Yeah, I can't imagine Vinnie Jones in a Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan-esque romantic comedy somehow! The films I can think of he's always played some sort of hardnut: Lock Stock, Snatch, Swordfish, Eurotrip, X-Men 3. Haven't seen Mean Machine but isn't it about prisoners playing football against the guards? Or it's possible I may be thinking about an old episode of Porridge.... :confused:

Archived