Now's the time to get out of Orlando, TNA

Travis

If you guys watching at home or reading on the Internet have heard, I think it's time for TNA to get out of Orlando. A pyrotechnic caught on fire and exploded during the Eric Young vs Johnny Devine match and the arena was filled with smoke. The building was then evacuated and the PPV was stopped for around 20 minutes or so. The Firefighters got everything under control and Ok'd for the event to go underway. So I'm, and I'm sure some of you out there, are probably thinking it's now time for TNA to move out of Orlando so we won't see this happening again.

It was a fluke. In around 2 years of shows there, this is the first time I can remember them having any trouble. That being said, they do need to diversify their locations at least. I hope they still use Orlando as a home base (since I just moved here a couple months ago), but they need to branch out. I see two good options. 1) Impact tapings in Orlando, PPVs elsewhere. 2) Touring. Maybe something like a month on tour followed by a month in Orlando, then repeat.

I see what you mean by saying it's a fluke but what if something like this could turn into something bigger like the whole building catching fire. If you remember the Night Club incident that had a bad pyro catch the building on fire and several people died and many more were injured. You never know. But moving out of Orlando could make TNA money. They aren't charging a dime for attendance and there's alot more fans that could pack a building than what's currently in the iMPACT Zone. Maybe somewhere else in Orlando and not in the Theme Park could work.

They are branching out... they did a house show here in Michigan a couple months ago that went very well. They did some house shows in Canada as well. They are doing a PPV here in Michigan coming in October. They have to slowly progress. They cant just jump into a sold out Madison Square Garden but they are doing well with this. Dont worry soon they will be in your town.

Well I'm in Arizona. I don't think they'll branch out here that quick because I'm surrounded by a bunch of WWE marks. There's only 1 wrestling company in Arizona and all they do is mark out/suck up to the WWE. And every fan here is a WWE fan. I need to move.

[QUOTE=Travis;136818]Well I'm in Arizona. I don't think they'll branch out here that quick because I'm surrounded by a bunch of WWE marks. There's only 1 wrestling company in Arizona and all they do is mark out/suck up to the WWE. And every fan here is a WWE fan. I need to move.[/QUOTE] Ummm, why you crying? I live in New York City. The ONLY game in town is WWE, especially since they opened a quaint little "themed restaurant" in Times Square and tape segments in it. I will say this, yes I believe TNA needs to branch out more. They need to hit New York City more often, for one thing. It has nothing to do with my desire to see their shows live (I've been to more APW shows in California than any local promotion) since I can do that already. But we have enough venues of all sizes here that could cater to whatever event TNA can put on. Madison Square Garden isn't the only place in NYC to hold shows (how soon folks forget it was the Hammerstein Ballroom that led to ECW's resurgence - a venue known more as a club than an arena) and it's not like we don't have enough wrestling fans to fill up an arena. But the cachet that comes from selling out in New York is greater than almost any other singular site. "We sold out in Peoria" just doesn't have the same impact (pun intended) as "We sold out in New York City". That's something that they can easily exploit to raise awareness. Not to mention the media exposure they'd get in the weeks leading up to the event. Get Steve Borden a spot on a Fox News show (his beliefs align him firmly with Fox News' audience) and then watch the box office receipts as CNBC/MSNBC, the Today show, Good Morning America and all the rest scurry to get other TNA workers so they're not trumped on a potential story. And that pyro mishap could've happened to anyone but the 'E (who spend more on pyrotechnics than TNA probably spends on workers, for better or worse. You have to spend more on smokescreens to cover up the deficiencies in your workers, after all :p).

There's more than 1 company that works in New York, believe me. And even if alot of companies don't run their all the time, there's random events that go on. You live in the North East, that is the hot bed for wrestling, I live in a desert, it's just hot. But for those of you have seen or heard, TNA didn't use any pyros for the rest of the event. But I'm sure TNA could do shows without any Pyro, they do afterall, have the talent to make up for having less production. WWE on the other hand does larger production and Pyro shows to make up for bad entertainment, but that's neither here nor there. If TNA could open up the show with just action right out the gate and screw the pyro entrances and get right to the action, they could probably get alot more into their shows. TNA did on the other hand prove they can do a great live show from scratch since after that fire, all their main planning was thrown out the window. They also didn't fall under the pressure and throw the towel in. They made a good situation out of it by feeding off it and doing a "It was Jarrett's doing angle" which worked.

• 2 weeks later...
TNA has bigger problems than pyro and doing all shows in Orlando. No one can really question the depth of talent they have as far as in ring performers, but their poor ratings (most of which can be blamed on the lousy timeslot and terrible marketing) and buyrates (marketing) may have them bleeding red if they try to expand too quickly. I don't know if Panda energy is at fault or if Spike TV just doesn't think that people can get behind TNA, but no one knows TNA. Sure, the smart marks know them and we all watch, but the 0.7 ratings show you just how much of the viewing audience we make up (and why WWE could care less about us). TNA needs to grab more national attention, and unfortunately in today's world, good-to-great macthes do not get national attention. Something has to be done...Sting wasn't the answer, as anyone who feels nostalgic for his WCW glory days will probably be turned off by the fast-paced matches that feature less psychology and story-telling (see: X-division) and the garbage matches with Abyss and the like. I really like TNA, and I feel their product is way ahead of WWE in terms of where wrestling is headed, but they have to find a way to get their name out there more than they are now, or pretty soon it's gonna be back to weekly PPVs and scratching to survive. I for one will definitely be rooting for them.

The only problems they have is that they are stuck with the .07's - .09's. The only people that are watching is these die-hard fans. And TNA probably won't change their style and sell out to the fans. But you never know. We want the same product, but with more fans. It's not exactly crystal clear to pin-point what needs to happen in order for them to have 2 million more fans to watch, or whatever the goal for national exposure to happen. I don't think just being on SpikeTV with the same audience week in and week out will magically make them grow into a huge promotion that everyone has heard about.

Archived