Gino Hernandez - YOUR Champion!

Many of you probably do not remember Gino Hernandez, as he was one of the first casualties to the excesses of his generation – dying in early 1986 at the age of 29 of an apparent overdose. It’s hard to describe just how good Hernandez was as a heel personality. To give you an idea, when Tully Blanchard was once told how great his teaming with Arn Anderson was, Blanchard replied (to paraphrase), “Have you ever seen my work with Gino?” That, in itself, is a very telling statement, considering just how good Anderson and Blanchard worked as a team. I believe the DOTT bio for him sums it up quite nicely; “Some want stardom in wrestling, some get that stardom and don't want it; such is the case of the 'Handsome Half-Breed', Gino Hernandez. An incredibly charismatic worker, Gino was troubled by his demons (like many of us). But he's still YOUR champion!” Remembered for his continued attempts to make it in the Soap Operas, and his 'live fast / die young, party-boy' image, I shall be roleplaying the character as such; someone that doesn’t care about the profession, using it for his own ego-driven attempts at stardom in other, more ‘reputable’ mediums. Gino Hernandez: Born: 1957 Overness: U.S.: 70 Canada: 40 Mexico: 45 Japan: 30 Stats: Spirit: 70 Power: 56 Technique: 42 Speed: 47 Psychology: 84 Stamina: 69 Toughness: 76 Charisma: 98 Microphone: 83 Safety: 88 Looks: 98 Respect: 47 Finishers: The Hernandez Flying Elbow Drop Leaping Piledriver Main Event Sleeper Brass Knuckles Punch Running Chair Shot to Head I also pick up the Freebird Hair Cream Attack and stick with my Super Kick off the Ropes, even though I am unable to use it quite yet. Current Contracts: World Class Championship – Written – 159 days left, Upper Midcarder - $1,400/month I bump up my free time in my Weekly Regime to 30%, as I need it to cruise the chicks.

The Year: 1983 The Month: November [U]Week 1, Day 3[/U]: I walk into the backstage area and sense a growing excitement amongst the Boys. All talk is devoted to Fritz’s announcement earlier in the week that he, and World Class, was to break off from the NWA Board of Directors and take World Class Championship to ‘the Promised Land’. What do I care? The only thing I care about is the fact I’m opening this show in a tag team match with Brian Adias as my partner! Brian Adias?? If this is breaking off from the NWA and ‘giving the fans of Texas the best World Class has to offer’, I’m not buying. First Match of the Evening: [B]Brian Adias and Gino Hernandez[/B] v. [B]One Man Gang and Frank Dusek[/B], [B]Tables Match[/B] Gino spends the majority of the match on the ring apron, continuously directing the young Adias to work the leg of One Man Gang. Every time OMG got the advantage and pounded on the youngster, Adias would escape and attempt to make the tag in to Gino, only to be ignored by the Handsome Half-breed. The second the much smaller Dusek enters the ring, though, Gino begins impatiently calling for the tag. [I]Hernandez scores the victory for his team when he Flying Elbow Drops Dusek through a table[/I]. 18 minutes – [B]C+[/B] [U]Week 1, Day 7[/U]: I arrive late backstage to the television taping, and Fritz starts giving me the business – yapping in about ‘responsibility’ and ‘level of performance’. Level of Performance?? What the hell does this backwater jerk know about performance? He should have seen me at the Guiding Light audition this past Friday… I was hot! I just nod my agreement and lace up the boots. You just can’t speak to Fritz. As I am going over the upcoming match with Iceman Parsons, I am struck by how much Parsons reminds me of Stymie, from The Little Rascals. Stymie was the better actor, though. I mean, come on... cornrows? Just who does he think he is - Bo Derek? Co-Main Event of the Evening: [B]Gino Hernandez[/B] v. [B]Iceman Parsons[/B], [B]Cage Match[/B] Hernandez is a house of fire at the opening bell, using every underhanded trick in the book to subdue the popular Iceman. Despite the eye gouges, boot lace rakes, rope rakes, and low blows, though, Parsons kept coming. After bloodying Parsons with a piledriver, Hernandez seemed to lose his concentration mid-way through the match. He began to continually work the crowd, rather than his opponent; winking at the Von Erich groupies at ringside, jawing with the hicks, repeatedly calling Iceman ‘Stymie’, etc. Iceman made the arrogant Hernandez pay, as he went to the top and nailed a brutal Flying Butt-Butt as Gino was blowing kisses to the fans. Iceman followed that up with a Leaping Piledriver. Hernandez vainly struggled to shake the cage, but could do nothing as [I]Parsons climbed out and over, getting the win at the 36 minute mark[/I]. [B]Rated: C[/B] I get backstage and Parsons bumps into me as I am walking to my locker. “Stymie That, mother@%$#!” What do I care? It’s some Podunk wrestling show of some Podunk promotion in some Podunk state. These hicks should be happy just to see me. • Word DOES spread of the loss to the midcarder Parsons. Hernandez drops 2 overness in the U.S. and 2 Fighting Spirit.

Week 2, Day 3: I come roaring into the parking lot and am greeted by Fritz and David Von Erich. As I hop out of the Trans-Am and flash the million dollar smile, Fritz throws down his cigar and starts screaming at the top of his lungs. ‘Blah, Blah, This’ and ‘Yadda, Yadda, That’, and ‘How the hell can you show up 30 minutes late, after losing a piss-poor match on Television!’ I smile at David and we both nod to each other. Davey Boy rolls his eyes and winks at the old man behind his back. As I unload my trunk and slam it closed, I turn to the old man and wink. “Don’t worry about it, Fritz… this cat is safe.” “Listen here, you snot-nosed punk,” Fritz growled out, jabbing his finger into my chest, “If you ever show up late again, I’m gonna stomp ya myself and throw yer ass out of here. Ya got it?” I throw my hands up in mock surrender. “Listen, Mr. Von Erich, I have told you a hundred times that I don’t work cages very well. Parsons bled all over the place, and the footing was terrible. It was all an… an unfortunate situation.” The grizzled Texan sputtered in rage. As he picked up his cigar with a violent lurch, he yells out, “Yeah… we’ll see. You’ve got Mantell in the opener. You better make it good.” Yeah, I’ll make it good. Opening match: [B]Gino Hernandez[/B] v. [B]Johnny Mantell[/B] Mantell comes to ringside accompanied by his manager, Percy Pringle III. The fans really seem to enjoy the young newcomer, as they wildly cheer his entrance. Hernandez seems unimpressed with the accolades, even going so far as to hop around the ring – stomping the ropes in a rage. The moment Mantell slid into the ring, Hernandez was all over him, exploding into a flurry of elbows and kicks. Mantell could do nothing, as Gino bloodied him with a Leaping Piledriver. The Handsome Half-breed followed this with his dying duck Flying Elbow Drop, and would have gotten the pin had he not lifted the lifeless Mantell by the hair at the two count; Gino’s rage was not yet sated. Hernandez throws Mantell over the top rope, and then follows him outside. [I]Johnny Mantell wins by Disqualification when Gino Hernandez attacks Mantell with a tub of Freebird Hair Cream at the 10 minute mark[/I]! To the horror of all in attendance, Gino crammed a handful of the foul substance into the face of Mantell, causing the youngster to go into near seizures! As he made his way back to the backstage area, Hernandez could be seen howling in laughter. [B]Final Rating: D[/B]

considering that i'm one of the few who got the D. Boon reference, i find it pretty entertaining that the first person i'm using for your update, is, of course, Gino Hernandez...kevin von erich just beat my ass in a brutal cage match,

Archived