TCW: Tommy Cornell Goes For Broke

[CENTER][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/sebsplex/TEW%20Diary/tewdiarycv.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"][B][I]introduction...[/I][/B][/SIZE][/FONT] August had been a month to forget for Tommy Cornell. In fact scratch that, the whole summer had been one to forget for Tommy Cornell. How else would you describe a season that involved losing two of your biggest draws to your nearest rival and then finding that your attempts to rectify the problem only exasperated it further? Perhaps he had been too protective of Wolf Hawkins? It was doubtful that Rick Law was the only individual who held such a view on Cornell's high regard for his student. If it came to hedging bets on which member of the TCW payroll would be the next to strike Tommy Cornell when the cameras were off, then the odds on Rick Law would probably stretch further than the remote British Columbian country roads that the TCW owner had been driving down for the past two and half hours. Nevertheless, Law nearly knocked Cornell out of his leather seat three weeks ago following an eventful episode of "TCW Presents Total Wrestling". The latter was discussing the success of the event with Sam Strong, his most trusted advisor, when the former burst into the office and slugged Cornell where he sat. The incident stemmed from a disastrous International Title match where Law successfully defended his strap against the up-and-coming Hawkins. Following a mistimed dropkick counter from the other half of Youth Gone Wild, Law took the blow awkwardly and injured his right shoulder in the process. Whilst the injury would turn out to only be one of a mild nature, Law reacted to the mistake badly and in an out of character move, recklessly delivered a "Squad Car Slam" Hawkins on a section of the unpadded flooring outside the squared circle. As a preventative measure the match was terminated and credited as a double count out in order to simply get Law backstage and confront the vastly talented, yet still green rookie over his unacceptable actions. Cornell came down on Law like a giant Canadian redwood (a metaphor inspired by the current scenery) and warned the International champion that a repeat of such actions would see him thrown out of TCW, regardless of whatever vast potential he might have. Moments later, Law would make such a decision on his future inevitable. Stunned by such actions, Cornell was initially thrown into a state of stunned silence, instead casting his eyes past Law and across the room to Sam Strong. Whilst the senior Strong had witnessed such political confrontations numerous times in his glittering career, his son PJ hadn't. The distressed look on Sam's offspring sealed Law's fate. Perhaps on another occasion, such an indiscretion as hitting your boss could be overlooked or at least resolved amicably. On this occasion Cornell felt he had no choice. Rick Law no longer had a future in TCW. Cornell knew where Law would end up the moment he told the charismatic rookie to leave the premises. Predictably, the Supreme Wrestling Federation drew up a contract and presented it to the (now former) International champion within forty eight hours. What he didn't expect however, was for his number one stable to follow in Law's footsteps. Troy Tornado's head had been turned by SWF. Not by the strength of the almighty dollar, after all Cornell did at least have a financial advantage over his rivals, but by their added exposure and market presence demanded his attention. Convinced that TCW was in a period of stagnation at best, Tornado congregated with the other members of Painful Procedure and informed them that a bigger stage awaited them. To SWF, they were to be a package deal, but Tornado needed his stablemates to help force the promotional switch. In effect, they went on strike. It was hardly irony at it's finest, but Troy Tornado was set to repeat the same defection made by Jack Bruce, the man who he had originally been brought to TCW to replace. In an age where contracts seem to share the same binding properties as cheaply produced chewing gum, there was little Cornell could do. Discipline only works when the recipient feels some form of loss or inconvenience as a result. Constantly fining the group would do little; the TCW owner had heard through the grapevine that SWF would simply reimburse the group when their TCW contracts ran their duration and they transferred to the Supreme brand. It wasn't like he needed the money and he needed a group of no-showing workers even less. As much as it contravened his own code of business and self-respect, Cornell decided he had to make the best out of the situation and headed to the negotiation table with Richard Eisen. As anyone familiar with the business would expect, Eisen savoured their meeting. He cared little about a potential lawsuit that could follow from his company's blatant unsettling of TCW's talent, but revelled in offering Cornell a face-saving alternative. With Painful Procedure joining their books, Eisen had plans in place to clear some of the low card roster clutter ahead of their imminent arrival. Offering the TCW owner a limited choice of low-grade SWF workers as a compromise, Cornell accepted the offer and completed the first (and as long as he had a breath left in his body) the last "trade" agreement initiated between the two rivals. Eisen even went as far as to throw the services of Robbie Retro in as a "goodwill gesture". Once the meeting had concluded and Cornell had the opportunity to check his answer phone, the message left by Blonde Bombshell explained Eisen's uncharacteristically charitable offer. Score another point for the Eisen's and add another length in the increasing gap between the SWF and TCW. The whole experience had left a sour taste in Cornell's mouth. It only added to the bruising left on his jaw from Rick Law's parting punch. It had however, left him with a renewed determination to overthrow SWF as North America's top promotion and end their market domination. That's what had brought him to British Columbia... That's what had brought Tommy Cornell to the DeColt family home.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[CENTER][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/sebsplex/TEW%20Diary/tommycornell.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/sebsplex/TEW%20Diary/georgedecolt.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"][B][I]the DeColt legacy...[/I][/B][/SIZE][/FONT] Tommy Cornell ascended the beautifully crafted oak staircase which, as it curved towards the upper floor of the DeColt household, succeeded in its secondary function as an exhibition of the family's achievements in the wrestling business. Numerous photos, press clippings and other framed accolades drove home the fact that the DeColt legacy not only branched several decades, but would be continued and arguably enhanced by George DeColt's four sons. All of whom were well represented in the DeColt paraphernalia that lined the walls. Indeed, the patriarch of the DeColt family made sure to highlight the evolution of his offspring before they plied their trade in Canadian Golden Combat where they would continue to excel. From the up and coming Ricky DeColt to the more renowned Steve DeColt, each son carried the same traits one would associate with their family name. To Cornell, the words of this proud father were of interest, particularly if his proposition to the Canadian promoter were to be accepted. If Cornell had his way, he'd personally hang the mementoes of the DeColt son's next acts of significance on the stairwell wall himself. Following George DeColt onto the landing and into a separate room, Cornell made sure to comment on the plush dwellings that the sixty one year old's career had provided for his family. He had been one of the better heavyweight grapplers of his day, but more importantly the senior DeColt knew how to handle a microphone... an attribute that been passed downward like a torch to the next generation. [I]"Please, I don't require token compliments from you Cornell..."[/I] For a moment, the TCW owner's skipped a beat. He'd driven for nearly three straight hours, reciting his proposal over and over in his head throughout the journey only to raise George DeColt's ire with a throwaway comment after being inside his household for a matter of mere moments. He had to be careful. He couldn't risk jeopardising this deal... he needed DeColt to accept his proposal. TCW needed George DeColt to accept his proposal. [I]"...a competitor of your talent, determination and statue already has my professional respect."[/I] DeColt let a wry smile slip. He'd intentionally used a tone that would initially cause Cornell concern. He figured it was the best way to remove at least a basic level of hindering formality from their impending discussions. In other words, it removed the BS factor.

Gees mate, I love the backstory. It's outstanding. One of the best if not the best I've read for Cornvellverse. It's a different plot completely, but reminds me of "One Fall", a great book I just recently read regarding a fictional wrestling industry. Well done, keep up the great work.

[QUOTE=sebsplex;143208][CENTER][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/sebsplex/TEW%20Diary/tommycornell.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/sebsplex/TEW%20Diary/georgedecolt.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [I]"Please, I don't require token compliments from you Cornell..."[/I] [I]"...a competitor of your talent, determination and statue already has my professional respect."[/I] DaColt let a wry smile slip. He'd intentionally used a tone that would initially cause Cornell concern. He figured it was the best way to remove at least a basic level of hindering formality from their impending discussions.[/QUOTE] Thats exactly the kind of thing I'd imagine George DeColt saying, reminds me of John Locke. Maybe its just me. Awesome backstory, makes me want to read it, which I will.

Thanks for the comments already guys, much appreciated. [QUOTE=tristram;143210]Gees mate, I love the backstory. It's outstanding. One of the best if not the best I've read for Cornvellverse. It's a different plot completely, but reminds me of "One Fall", a great book I just recently read regarding a fictional wrestling industry. [/QUOTE] Hmmm, can't say I've heard of the book, but it sounds like something I wouldn't mind checking out... I need a decent book to pass the time on an upcoming trip to London and back, lol. [QUOTE=Thriller;143210] Thats exactly the kind of thing I'd imagine George DeColt saying, reminds me of John Locke. Maybe its just me. Awesome backstory, makes me want to read it, which I will.[/QUOTE] It's weird how that happens sometimes when you check out someone else's writing concerning the C-Verse and the way they've depicted a certain character is very close to how you've perceived them to be. I was reading J Silver's "Cornellverse Explored" only the other day and he was using Derek Frost in almost the exact same manner that I was planning to... back to the drawing board on that one, heh. Anyway, again thanks for the comments and I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. More to come later tonight.

[CENTER][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/sebsplex/TEW%20Diary/tommycornell.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/sebsplex/TEW%20Diary/georgedecolt.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"][B][I]the proposal... [/I][/B][/SIZE][/FONT] [I]"Drink?"[/I] George DeColt opened the nearby cabinet to reveal a fully stocked mini-bar, the contents of which were now on offer to Tommy Cornell. If he was honest with himself, Cornell had been drinking more heavily than he would have preferred in the past month or so. He had fair reason of course, as it hadn't been the easiest or most enjoyable periods of his TCW reign. Not wanting to appear ungracious in front of his host however, he accepted the offer and tried to disguise any hint of reluctance in his voice. [I]"Is Bourbon to your liking?"[/I] Again Cornell obliged, shuffling through some of the various papers he'd placed on the nearby table whilst DeColt poured him an "eye-opener". The papers ranged from legal documents to improvised notes that he'd scribbled down by the roadside, en route to the meeting yet he still considered as important and those approved by his solicitor. Setting his guest's drink on the same table, DeColt opted to pace the room slowly, whilst talking and sipping from his own crystal tumbler. Such actions served as an acute reminder that it was now Cornell's cue to lay his proverbial cards on the table. Clearing his throat, the TCW owner began. [I]"Well I know you've received the outline of my proposal and on the basis of me sitting here... it must interest you, no?"[/I] Placing his tumbler on the mantle, the patriarch of the DeColt family moved towards a large, oak executive desk positioned near the rear of the room. The CGC logo embossed on the furniture's front panel served to highlight the focal point of the discussion between the two promoters. [I]"Indeed it does, it interests me greatly. As you might expect though, I have to uphold the interests of my family and have a couple of concerns that I feel need to be addressed."[/I] Straightening his posture, Cornell made it as clear as possible that he was listening intently. [I]"First, I want you to clarify what is to become of my family's promotion... accounting for everything down to the rusty bolts that hold together the ringposts."[/I] Motioning to clutch one of the several papers on the table, DeColt halted the TCW owner with a simple hand gesture. [I]"I'm not interested in the figures or statistics, at least not yet. Tell me in your own words..."[/I] Cornell knew he should have appreciated that George DeColt held what was known as more of an old school approach to the business. For all the trouble he'd gone to in order to compile the necessary paperwork for the proposal, Cornell's word alone was probably good enough DeColt to accept, provided he had developed a sense of trust with the Canadian Golden Combat founder. For the time being however, this deal was some distance from such completion. The TCW owner could feel that as much as DeColt was listening to his words, he was judging their validity by Cornell's body language. Honesty, integrity, loyalty... they were all DeColt traits and as much George DeColt valued them, he wanted to make sure Cornell shared those same principles. He wouldn't enter into such a business arrangement of this magnitude with just anyone. [I]"Very well, Mr DeColt..."[/I] If George DeColt and his promotion were to be subject to some form of merger, then the other party had to meet not only his approval, but his expectations and although he hadn't enlightened Cornell to this point, so far the TCW owner was checking all of the correct boxes.

This is a very compelling backstory. I hope even when you start the shows up you continue to do write ups like this from Tommy Cornells perspective. The only suggestion I have is to use Tommy like he has more confidence. He has great mic skills and I do not think he would fumble around with what to say or be nervous even with his *** on the line. I think he is cool calm and composed in all times but thats my opinion. However you use him I appreciate the skill you show in your write ups. Keep up the good work and the graphics add a nice tough. I look forward to your first show. (Personally I like NOTBPW more that CGC. TCW is my favorite promotion in the game though.)

[QUOTE=juggaloninjalee;143452]The only suggestion I have is to use Tommy like he has more confidence. I think he is cool calm and composed in all times but thats my opinion. [/QUOTE] He is talking to a legend that could stop his business going down the tube, if I were him I wouldnt be cracking off one liners :D.

[QUOTE=juggaloninjalee;143452]This is a very compelling backstory. I hope even when you start the shows up you continue to do write ups like this from Tommy Cornells perspective. The only suggestion I have is to use Tommy like he has more confidence. He has great mic skills and I do not think he would fumble around with what to say or be nervous even with his *** on the line. I think he is cool calm and composed in all times but thats my opinion. However you use him I appreciate the skill you show in your write ups. Keep up the good work and the graphics add a nice tough. I look forward to your first show. (Personally I like NOTBPW more that CGC. TCW is my favorite promotion in the game though.)[/QUOTE] Yeah, I think Cornell in general is more confident and charismatic than he's been so far portrayed thus far. At the moment it's more down to the situation and the circumstances than anything else, like Thriller said, although there's also a cat and mouse element involved, which I'll try and expand on in the next posting. In between shows I'm planning to keep a detailed story going, so they'll be more from Cornell's perspective as well as others if fitting. And yeah, I agree with you on NOTBPW to some extent. It was tempting to use them, but for the sake of the story, CGC due to it's style and background seems more suited. Thanks for the feedback.

I think CGC works better for a potential merger with TCW. I just think it fits better, don't know why, maybe seems more realistic. I knw I'm talking crap, but what I'm trying to say is i agree with using CGC. And I think Cornell would be cacking himself in that meeting, no matter how confident he is in the ring or whatever, this would make him a little nervous. His company depends on it. But anyway, what I was really posting to say- this is amazing so far. I'm not gonna rate it until it gets a bit further in, but you're bang on a 5 star so far. Compelling, believable, in-depth, interetsing, welll written- other diary writers take note. Good work. Very good work...

[CENTER][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/sebsplex/TEW%20Diary/tommycornell.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/sebsplex/TEW%20Diary/georgedecolt.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/sebsplex/TEW%20Diary/alexdecolt.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"][B][I]the proposal concluded and witnessed...[/I][/B][/SIZE][/FONT] Closing his eyes, Tommy Cornell tilted his head back and waited for the effects of the Bourbon he'd just downed to set in. The depth of the conversation with the figurehead of the DeColt family had drained the already fatigued TCW owner to such an extent, he wasn't certain if he were still replying with coherent sentences. He had told George DeColt everything... and then retold him the same content, only the second and third times it was with more elaborate wording and finer details. Whilst he had never been in such a situation with the law himself, Cornell expected that this experience must have bore some resemblance to that of a police interrogation. Alright, his record did contain the odd (but minor) run in with the fuzz, but in those instances each indiscretion was dealt with by either fast talking, a check or on the one occasion, a couple of free tickets and an autograph. This was different. It was as if DeColt wanted to hear the story over and over, looking to pick up on any gaps or flaws and then attack them with further rigorous questioning. For a few moments at least, the CGC founder appeared to be appeased or at least uncertain of what premise of Cornell's proposal to target next. At least such a phase of contemplation gave Cornell the chance to gather his thoughts and composure... although the alcohol hardly aided him in that department. Then again, what did it matter? This was no cloak and dagger operation and the TCW owner had no hidden agenda. He hadn't travelled all the way to British Columbia in some elaborate attempt to swindle one of the most renowned families in wrestling out of their livelihood. There weren't even any masked details he could stumble over. He'd laid out his proposal so that it's details and implifications were as plain as the light of day... or as plain as shade of beige used to coat room's interior. He wanted George DeColt. Not only that, but he wanted the members of George DeColt's immediate family who knew they way around the squared circle and he also wanted his promotion... rusty bolts and all. Well, that wasn't strictly true. Although this proposal would create a vested interest in Canadian Golden Combat for the TCW owner, he wanted little to do with the actual running of the promotion itself. He would however, finance it to the hilt. That was the golden carrot that lay within the deal for George DeColt. Finally CGC would have the ability to compete with their rivals North Of The Border Pro Wrestling or at least gain ground on them. They were to CGC, what the SWF is to TCW. In this aspect, Cornell had made sure to do his research. Out of the Canadian big two, NOTBPW were in pole position and just like SWF, they were pulling away from the competition. As solid as CGC's sports entertainment based product was, the trend north of the border was currently shifting towards a more traditional product. NOTBPW provided that product and so far, CGC had offered little to counter. Their main storyline of the continuing war between the DeColts and the Elite stable seemed to have hit it's peak and was now becoming stale with the current cast, but what could George DeColt do? He didn't have the finances to bring in any considerable talent from elsewhere in Canada... not anything that would greatly improve on what they already had or that NOTBPW hadn't already signed up. As for attracting workers from further ashore again, if you'll excuse the pun, the buck stops with the dollar. Bringing in established talent cost money. Money that DeColt either didn't have or money that he certainly wasn't willing to risk on such an endeavour that might only bring in a short-term spike in interest. Bottom line, Canadian Golden Combat in its current form was going nowhere fast... that was until Tommy Cornell entered the rather convoluted picture. Figuratively speaking, Cornell had arrived at the DeColt household and thrust a briefcase full of money into George DeColt's lap. The latches were open and the incentive was there with each ex-president seemingly looking the DeColt family patriarch straight in the eye and enticing him to accept. The catch? If Cornell was pumping cold hard cash into CGC, then he wanted to get something in return for his investment other than a warm feeling from being charitable. He wanted CGC's prize assets. He wanted the DeColt family. As Cornell saw it, TCW and CGC were like two peas in competitive pod. Both were vying for superiority in their respective domestic market, both promotions heavily indulged in the sometimes maligned concept of sports entertainment and both were currently on a downturn of fortunes. The TCW owner's ambition was to bring not only the DeColts to his promotion, but their entire feud with the Elite as well as a select portion of CGC's supporting cast. That meant that the likes of Dan DaLay, Eddie Chandler and Ryan Powell would get their chance to perform on a national stage, albeit a predominantly North American one. To counteract this, Cornell would authorise some of TCW's established talent to trade places and head to colder pastures in Canada as well as upcoming rookies or more developmental talent. George DeColt would have his fresh faces to combat NOTBPW's growing stature; he'd have established names and money to keep using them. Surely as a byproduct of such a move, both promotions would garner some of the others fan base to share amongst themselves. Not only that, but DeColt would have a role in Cornell's tentatively named "new talent initiative". Using the CGC founder's knowledge of his territory, Cornell planned to pluck some of Canada's so-called diamonds in the rough before SWF and the Eisen's were alerted to their existence. As a benefit to this, some of these potential superstars of the future would likely be blooded in CGC before making the transition to TCW. Cornell would get a hold of what was at a time considered one of the hottest storylines in pro-wrestling, one that was fresh to a majority of the US audience, much like the talent involved. Likewise DeColt would see his roster expanded and newly financed as well as giving valuable exposure to his product through the medium of TCW's weekly TV show. Not only that, but his sons would be performing on a platform higher than could be provided by remaining in British Columbia and barely filling venues the likes of the King Edward Multiplex each week. Could it be considered a gamble? Definitely, but then what new business venture doesn't incur some element of risk? Like with any consciously taken gamble though, one must weight the potential gains against the potential losses. Every ying does indeed have its yang. In this case, the benefit of doubt seemed to lend itself to the conclusion that this proposal carried far more to be obtained than it did to be lost. What if the American crowds don't take to the Canadian exports as their homeland crowds do? What if Cornell and the DeColts were far from the perfect business partners? What if both promotions adversely suffered from the redistribution of talent? As the expression goes... that's why pencils have erasers. Just revaluating his purpose for making the journey up north and sitting here soaking up George DeColt's relentless questioning gave Cornell a tingling of excitement. Should he pull this off, he'd soon be able to wipe the smile straight off of Richard Eisen's conceited face without having to resort to a measure that would see him while away a few nights in a jail cell as a consequence. He'd be able to hurt Richard Eisen and the SWF on a level that simply couldn't be achieved through any act of physicality. Nothing would hurt more than the feeling of personal inadequacy that came from being second, from being inferior to an opponent who in turn lauds your failings over you. An existence that constituted living in the shadow of SWF was one to be treated with contempt and Cornell would embrace the day that his and Richard Eisen's roles were reversed. [I]"Cornell, I have one last question..."[/I] Snapping out from his inductive moment of self reflection, Cornell wearily raised his eyes back to the approaching George DeColt. [I]"Where do I sign?"[/I] As the patriarch of the DeColt family and the TCW owner enshrined with the label of "Rough Justice" reached this monumental agreement, the brief surge of adrenaline that shot through the body of Tommy Cornell to compliment his overwhelming feeling of achievement was matched in ferocity by the concern that engulfed the individual now standing in the doorway. Was this really the only way forward? Were the spoils of this promotional battle worth jeopardising their family's legacy, a legacy that he had one day expected to inherit? Alex DeColt could be forgiven for his reservations.

That was an amazing segment! I felt like that was spot on with the characters. Tommy didn't seem like he lost his composure and maintained a level head. The ending of it was great as it leads to more stories in the future. I can only see this as a positive but the SWF if run by me right now would be forming an alliance with NOTBPW. You really gotta love the computers AI in this situation. 2 upper tier promotions in North America taking on their #2s would probably wipe both of you off the map. I am so anxious for new posts every day and I can only wait to see how this goes. Will you possibly be carrying this diary over to the new game in a couple months?

[QUOTE=juggaloninjalee;143820]I am so anxious for new posts every day and I can only wait to see how this goes. Will you possibly be carrying this diary over to the new game in a couple months?[/QUOTE] Well tonight might end my post-something-every-day run, since I've got quite a bit else to do sadly, but I'll try to get the next installment up by tomorrow at the latest. I'm keen to get into the first show, so there will probably only be 2-3 more pieces of backstory to go until the first show. Yeah, I'll be continuing this when Adam brings the TEW 2007 out, although there may be a couple of days or so break to edit the data to match what point this diary has evolved to by then. I'll get into a couple of these replies in more depth when I'm back at home later. Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone, as always it's much appreciated.

[QUOTE=keefmoon;143594]I think CGC works better for a potential merger with TCW. I just think it fits better, don't know why, maybe seems more realistic. I knw I'm talking crap, but what I'm trying to say is i agree with using CGC. But anyway, what I was really posting to say- this is amazing so far. I'm not gonna rate it until it gets a bit further in, but you're bang on a 5 star so far. Compelling, believable, in-depth, interetsing, welll written- other diary writers take note. Good work. Very good work...[/QUOTE] Well when I went through the storyline and checked out the promotion profiles over, CGC seemed to fit the bill the most. I tried to highlight which parts of it appealed to Cornell and why... hopefully that came through somewhat. Thanks for the good words though, hopefully I can keep this going to the same standard once the shows start popping up. [QUOTE=juggaloninjalee]I can only see this as a positive but the SWF if run by me right now would be forming an alliance with NOTBPW. You really gotta love the computers AI in this situation. 2 upper tier promotions in North America taking on their #2s would probably wipe both of you off the map.[/QUOTE] Yeah, I can definitely see that in theory. The only major flaws with such a merger in my view, would be the clash of promotion styles... I mean, it'd be like ROH merging with the WWE... then again, stranger things have happened in wrestling. Also, Richard Eisen is the most important man in the business and from that position, it's likely that he's become pretty complacent. Therefore, seeing TCW and CGC merge probably wouldn't set any alarm bells ringing for him and the SWF... at least, not yet. ;)

[CENTER][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/sebsplex/TEW%20Diary/tommycornell.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/sebsplex/TEW%20Diary/samstrong.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/sebsplex/TEW%20Diary/blondebombshell.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/sebsplex/TEW%20Diary/alexdecolt.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/sebsplex/TEW%20Diary/jackdecolt.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"][B][I]a whole new outlook, reservations and all...[/I][/B][/SIZE][/FONT] The first thing Tommy Cornell did when he climbed back inside his rental car was open up his cell phone. Actually, that's not completely accurate. The TCW owner's first act upon returning to the vehicle was to admire his own reflection in the rear-view mirror, giving himself a reaffirming "who's the man" type glance. The deal was done and for the first time in what seemed like a long time, Cornell was starting to feel like his old self again. [I]"Sam... how did it go? How do you think it went? Do you know who you're talking to here... of course the deal's signed, sealed and delivered... what did you expect?"[/I] Deep down Cornell didn't know why he gave Sam Strong such a front over the phone. Sam had been TCW long enough to know when Cornell was sugar-coating the truth. Regardless he went along with it. It was just a welcome change to the Tommy Cornell that originally flew out to British Columbia, consumed with the possibility that despite his financial muscle, his company could have been plunging to the point of no return. [I]"Yeah, if all goes according to schedule then the DeColt brood and anyone else in CGC worth bringing down will be set for the show next Tuesday..."[/I] Currently it was Sunday and the evening was in its crisp infancy. That meant TCW would have it's injection of fresh talent in a little over nine days time, giving the DeColts time to hold two more shows and leave active CGC competition with a fitting farewell before transferring down south. From Cornell's perspective, he had one edition of "TCW Presents: Total Wrestling" to hype the huge promotion changing announcement and probably little more than three to four days at most until the Eisens got wind of the latest developments across the border. [I]"I take it you've got Tuesday night covered? Good... I knew you'd get it together... sh*t Sam, if I can't count on you then who can I count on, right?"[/I] Sam Strong was the only individual in TCW privileged to the exact whereabouts of Cornell and his activities. He was the only one that Cornell truly still fully trusted. It was understandable, given that he'd been stabbed in the back to such an extent in his tenure as TCW's charge that it would be difficult to find an area on his torso that didn't have a metaphorical knife wound. It was paramount to the next stage of his new business venture that it remained concealed from the public at this point, which is quite a feat to pull off considering this is the 21st century and indeed, the internet age. George DeColt had given his word that he wouldn't brief anyone outside of his immediate family about the move until it was necessary... i.e. once he and Cornell had sat down and plotted their next moves, which included deciding who they were bringing back to TCW with them. [I]"Listen, I'm now heading back to the hotel. I'm gonna meet DeColt in the morning concerning to get the bottom line on any available non-CGC talent up here worth poaching and bringing back... apparently the old guy has his heart set on plucking this one guy straight out of North Of The Border Pro Wrestling... he reckons he's only on a P.P.A and is stalling on a written contract... y'know, it's times like this that I remember why Eisen likes stealing talent so much..."[/I] Do unto others as you would want others to do unto you? That wasn't exactly a Tommy Cornell motto right there. In fact, it was more a case of "if someone pulls that kinda crap on you, then go out there and pull it on someone else in order to get back at the one that originally done unto you". It wasn't exactly the sort of slogan you'd expect to find adorning a selection of church fete mugs anytime soon. [I]"Alright, I'm now gonna hit the road... I've got at least an hour's drive ahead of me, looking at this same damn woodland I saw on the way here... and remember, despite what me and DeColt agree tomorrow, set the wheels in motion for that guy in USPW... yeah, that's the one... I want him on board by the time my plane touches down on Thursday morning... we'll just play it as a done deal from the week before... yes Sam, you might have to lie... geez, I thought you would have left behind that good guy, "butter wouldn't melt in my mouth" act ten years ago!"[/I] Checking the reading on the digital clock mounted in the dashboard, it finally caught up with the TCW owner just how long he'd spent in George DeColt's company in order to obtain... well, part of George DeColt's company-backslash-promotion. [I]"Yeah? Same to you Sam... heh, yeah you heard me. I'll see you later in the week..."[/I] Moments away from terminating the call, Cornell refrains upon remembering one last crucial request he had to make to Sam Strong. [I]"Oh and Sam, make sure PJ stays out of my office... I'm not shelling out for another damn executive leather chair!"[/I] That ended the call and as noted in the aforementioned conversation, the TCW owner wasn't due to return to the states until early thursday morning and instead, had a meeting with George DeColt to gear up for tomorrow. Intending to discard his phone on the passenger seat next to him, Cornell paused for a moment and remembered one particular issue from the past week that he hadn't properly addressed as of yet. Cycling through his list of contacts, he stops at the record listed as "B.Bombshell" and hit the call button. That would be the B.Bombshell who just quit your company with the courtesy of leaving an answer phone message while Cornell was in a different country. [I]"Hey honey... yeah it's Tommy. Look... I got your message... about that, I just wanted to say... well, good luck in SWF and all..."[/I] It was at this point in the conversation where Blonde Bombshell explained her decision to defect to TCW's biggest rivals. If their professional relationship were a romantic relationship, then she'd was giving Cornell the equivalent of a "it's not you, it's me" explanation. Basically, the offer from SWF was too good to refuse. She'd get more money and just like Troy Tornado and co, she cited more exposure as her main motivation. She was looking for more work in mainstream television and by appearing on SWF's "Supreme TV" week in and week out, she'd be more likely to realise that ambition. She made the best decision for her career... it was nothing personal. Nothing personal? To Tommy Cornell this betrayal couldn't have been any less personal. It wasn't quite up to Jack Bruce proportions, but it was still a slap in the face to the TCW owner. [I]"Yeah that's understandable... so, I was kinda wondering... which one of Eisen's sons did you need to sleep with to seal that deal? My guess would be Jerry Eisen... I mean look at the guy, I bet he hasn't been laid since..."[/I] [I]*Click*[/I] She hung up and in all reality, it was probably the last time her and Cornell would speak in the not too distant future. Reclining back, the TCW owner just thought to himself... you know what? Screw her! She was hardly the lifeblood of TCW. Other than name value and a decent public image, she offered little to the promotion. Let Richard Eisen have her. At least the cancellation of her contract freed up a few extra grand a week in saved expenditure. He could use that to bring in someone who had more than just a starring role in "L.A. Nights" to boast on their resume. Besides, who the hell still listens to Rotorblade anyway? Turning the key in the ignition, Cornell gave himself one final glance in the mirror only this time it was to wipe the beads of sweat that had formed on his brow. Forget any of the bravado, this was the only iron Tommy Cornell had to pluck out of the fire and he knew it. This crisp, weekend afternoon could well serve to be one of the most important points in Total Championship Wrestling's decorated history... Not to mention the history of George DeColt's Canadian Golden Combat. Shaking his head as Cornell's rental car pulls away from the property, Alex DeColt withdraws from the balcony railings after watching the TCW owner disappear back down the beaten track that led into the DeColt estate. [I]"I don't like him and I don't trust him, Jack."[/I] The ink was barely dry on the paperwork, but the third eldest (or second youngest if you prefer) of the DeColt sons found the idea of such a deal with the likes of Tommy Cornell particularly unsettling. Then again, this wasn't the first time Alex had questioned his father's judgement as of late. Despite that he only caught partial extracts of the discussion between the two promoters, he couldn't help but fear he and his family were somehow being short-changed. However unlike in the previous instances, he was more vocal with his objection this time around... at least, to his brother. [I]"How about we wait until hearing the full story from pops before getting steamed up about this and jumping to conclusions? Whatever's taken place, he'd only do it for the good of CGC."[/I] Playing the role of the voice of reason was Jack DeColt, the second eldest of the four sons. George DeColt had given both sons the bare minimum of information since the meeting, favouring to tell his four offspring when they were all together later that night following the CGC Title Bout Wrestling event. The rest of the Canadian Golden Combat roster would have to wait until the following week until the patriarch of the DeColt family broke the news to them, perhaps a day or so earlier for those who were being uprooted and taken to TCW. Alex attempted to offer a retort of his brother's comments, but Jack intended to deny him such an opportunity. [I]"Just cool it, Alex! Now come on, we've still got a show to prepare for tonight."[/I] As Jack headed back inside, Alex gave one last, lingering look into the distance before grudgingly following in his sibling's steps.

[CENTER][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/sebsplex/TEW%20Diary/tommycornell.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/sebsplex/TEW%20Diary/samstrong.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/sebsplex/TEW%20Diary/blondebombshell.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/sebsplex/TEW%20Diary/alexdecolt.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/sebsplex/TEW%20Diary/jackdecolt.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"][B][I]a whole new outlook, reservations and all...[/I][/B][/SIZE][/FONT] The first thing Tommy Cornell did when he climbed back inside his rental car was open up his cell phone. Actually, that's not completely accurate. The TCW owner's first act upon returning to the vehicle was to admire his own reflection in the rear-view mirror, giving himself a reaffirming "who's the man" type glance. The deal was done and for the first time in what seemed like a long time, Cornell was starting to feel like his old self again. [I]"Sam... how did it go? How do you think it went? Do you know who you're talking to here... of course the deal's signed, sealed and delivered... what did you expect?"[/I] Deep down Cornell didn't know why he gave Sam Strong such a front over the phone. Sam had been TCW long enough to know when Cornell was sugar-coating the truth. Regardless he went along with it. It was just a welcome change to the Tommy Cornell that originally flew out to British Columbia, consumed with the possibility that despite his financial muscle, his company could have been plunging to the point of no return. [I]"Yeah, if all goes according to schedule then the DeColt brood and anyone else in CGC worth bringing down will be set for the show next Tuesday..."[/I] Currently it was Sunday and the evening was in its crisp infancy. That meant TCW would have it's injection of fresh talent in a little over nine days time, giving the DeColts time to hold two more shows and leave active CGC competition with a fitting farewell before transferring down south. From Cornell's perspective, he had one edition of "TCW Presents: Total Wrestling" to hype the huge promotion changing announcement and probably little more than three to four days at most until the Eisens got wind of the latest developments across the border. [I]"I take it you've got Tuesday night covered? Good... I knew you'd get it together... sh*t Sam, if I can't count on you then who can I count on, right?"[/I] Sam Strong was the only individual in TCW privileged to the exact whereabouts of Cornell and his activities. He was the only one that Cornell truly still fully trusted. It was understandable, given that he'd been stabbed in the back to such an extent in his tenure as TCW's charge that it would be difficult to find an area on his torso that didn't have a metaphorical knife wound. It was paramount to the next stage of his new business venture that it remained concealed from the public at this point, which is quite a feat to pull off considering this is the 21st century and indeed, the internet age. George DeColt had given his word that he wouldn't brief anyone outside of his immediate family about the move until it was necessary... i.e. once he and Cornell had sat down and plotted their next moves, which included deciding who they were bringing back to TCW with them. [I]"Listen, I'm now heading back to the hotel. I'm gonna meet DeColt in the morning concerning to get the bottom line on any available non-CGC talent up here worth poaching and bringing back... apparently the old guy has his heart set on plucking this one guy straight out of North Of The Border Pro Wrestling... he reckons he's only on a P.P.A and is stalling on a written contract... y'know, it's times like this that I remember why Eisen likes stealing talent so much..."[/I] Do unto others as you would want others to do unto you? That wasn't exactly a Tommy Cornell motto right there. In fact, it was more a case of "if someone pulls that kinda crap on you, then go out there and pull it on someone else in order to get back at the one that originally done unto you". It wasn't exactly the sort of slogan you'd expect to find adorning a selection of church fete mugs anytime soon. [I]"Alright, I'm now gonna hit the road... I've got at least an hour's drive ahead of me, looking at this same damn woodland I saw on the way here... and remember, despite what me and DeColt agree tomorrow, set the wheels in motion for that guy in USPW... yeah, that's the one... I want him on board by the time my plane touches down on Thursday morning... we'll just play it as a done deal from the week before... yes Sam, you might have to lie... geez, I thought you would have left behind that good guy, "butter wouldn't melt in my mouth" act ten years ago!"[/I] Checking the reading on the digital clock mounted in the dashboard, it finally caught up with the TCW owner just how long he'd spent in George DeColt's company in order to obtain... well, part of George DeColt's company-backslash-promotion. [I]"Yeah? Same to you Sam... heh, yeah you heard me. I'll see you later in the week..."[/I] Moments away from terminating the call, Cornell refrains upon remembering one last crucial request he had to make to Sam Strong. [I]"Oh and Sam, make sure PJ stays out of my office... I'm not shelling out for another damn executive leather chair!"[/I] That ended the call and as noted in the aforementioned conversation, the TCW owner wasn't due to return to the states until early thursday morning and instead, had a meeting with George DeColt to gear up for tomorrow. Intending to discard his phone on the passenger seat next to him, Cornell paused for a moment and remembered one particular issue from the past week that he hadn't properly addressed as of yet. Cycling through his list of contacts, he stops at the record listed as "B.Bombshell" and hit the call button. That would be the B.Bombshell who just quit your company with the courtesy of leaving an answer phone message while Cornell was in a different country. [I]"Hey honey... yeah it's Tommy. Look... I got your message... about that, I just wanted to say... well, good luck in SWF and all..."[/I] It was at this point in the conversation where Blonde Bombshell explained her decision to defect to TCW's biggest rivals. If their professional relationship were a romantic relationship, then she'd was giving Cornell the equivalent of a "it's not you, it's me" explanation. Basically, the offer from SWF was too good to refuse. She'd get more money and just like Troy Tornado and co, she cited more exposure as her main motivation. She was looking for more work in mainstream television and by appearing on SWF's "Supreme TV" week in and week out, she'd be more likely to realise that ambition. She made the best decision for her career... it was nothing personal. Nothing personal? To Tommy Cornell this betrayal couldn't have been any less personal. It wasn't quite up to Jack Bruce proportions, but it was still a slap in the face to the TCW owner. [I]"Yeah that's understandable... so, I was kinda wondering... which one of Eisen's sons did you need to sleep with to seal that deal? My guess would be Jerry Eisen... I mean look at the guy, I bet he hasn't been laid since..."[/I] [I]*Click*[/I] She hung up and in all reality, it was probably the last time her and Cornell would speak in the not too distant future. Reclining back, the TCW owner just thought to himself... you know what? Screw her! She was hardly the lifeblood of TCW. Other than name value and a decent public image, she offered little to the promotion. Let Richard Eisen have her. At least the cancellation of her contract freed up a few extra grand a week in saved expenditure. He could use that to bring in someone who had more than just a starring role in "L.A. Nights" to boast on their resume. Besides, who the hell still listens to Rotorblade anyway? Turning the key in the ignition, Cornell gave himself one final glance in the mirror only this time it was to wipe the beads of sweat that had formed on his brow. Forget any of the bravado, this was the only iron Tommy Cornell had to pluck out of the fire and he knew it. This crisp, weekend afternoon could well serve to be one of the most important points in Total Championship Wrestling's decorated history... Not to mention the history of George DeColt's Canadian Golden Combat. Shaking his head as Cornell's rental car pulls away from the property, Alex DeColt withdraws from the balcony railings after watching the TCW owner disappear back down the beaten track that led into the DeColt estate. [I]"I don't like him and I don't trust him, Jack."[/I] The ink was barely dry on the paperwork, but the third eldest (or second youngest if you prefer) of the DeColt sons found the idea of such a deal with the likes of Tommy Cornell particularly unsettling. Then again, this wasn't the first time Alex had questioned his father's judgement as of late. Despite that he only caught partial extracts of the discussion between the two promoters, he couldn't help but fear he and his family were somehow being short-changed. However unlike in the previous instances, he was more vocal with his objection this time around... at least, to his brother. [I]"How about we wait until hearing the full story from pops before getting steamed up about this and jumping to conclusions? Whatever's taken place, he'd only do it for the good of CGC."[/I] Playing the role of the voice of reason was Jack DeColt, the second eldest of the four sons. George DeColt had given both sons the bare minimum of information since the meeting, favouring to tell his four offspring when they were all together later that night following the CGC Title Bout Wrestling event. The rest of the Canadian Golden Combat roster would have to wait until the following week until the patriarch of the DeColt family broke the news to them, perhaps a day or so earlier for those who were being uprooted and taken to TCW. Alex attempted to offer a retort of his brother's comments, but Jack intended to deny him such an opportunity. [I]"Just cool it, Alex! Now come on, we've still got a show to prepare for tonight."[/I] As Jack headed back inside, Alex gave one last, lingering look into the distance before grudgingly following in his sibling's steps.

Archived