DOTT: Continental Wrestling Organization

Well, I've never been able to stick with a dynasty but I thought if I put one on here and try something different we'll see what happens. I'm not a big writer but will try to have a little fun and if anyone reads and likes it that's just bonus. ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Backstory: Donovan Cambridge, a regular guy that just happened to have a very influential uncle has just been handed a dream job in the sport he loves - pro wrestling. His uncle, Bill Rasmussen, one of the founders of ESPN, shared his wealth with his family - including Cambridge. Cambridge was handed 2.5 million dollars. A long time pro wrestling fan Cambridge talked to his uncle about what to do with the money. Uncle Bill, who still has a big hand in ESPN, suggests he follow his dream of becoming a major player in professional wrestling. Cambridge waves the 2.5 million around and says he needs help. Enter Lou Thesz, the former NWA World Heavyweight Champion. Thesz says that he has been thinking of starting his own promotion, the Continental Wrestling Organization, and needed some "investors." Cambridge sees Thesz as a wrestling God, a true legend, and they hammer out a deal. Thesz launces the promotion and Cambridge hands over the entire 2.5 million dollars to invest in this venture - with the stipulation that he get to be the head booker and whatever he says goes. This promotion, based in the South East, has little to no prestige. The style of the promotion has been decided to be a "pure" style of wrestling - something very unfamiliar to much of these fans in 1983.

Backstory: Donovan Cambridge, a regular guy that just happened to have a very influential uncle has just been handed a dream job in the sport he loves - pro wrestling. His uncle, Bill Rasmussen, one of the founders of ESPN, shared his wealth with his family - including Cambridge. Cambridge was handed 2.5 million dollars. A long time pro wrestling fan Cambridge talked to his uncle about what to do with the money. Uncle Bill, who still has a big hand in ESPN, suggests he follow his dream of becoming a major player in professional wrestling. Cambridge waves the 2.5 million around and says he needs help. Enter Lou Thesz, the former NWA World Heavyweight Champion. Thesz says that he has been thinking of starting his own promotion, the Continental Wrestling Organization, and needed some "investors." Cambridge sees Thesz as a wrestling God, a true legend, and they hammer out a deal. Thesz launces the promotion and Cambridge hands over the entire 2.5 million dollars to invest in this venture - with the stipulation that he get to be the head booker and whatever he says goes. This promotion, based in the South East, has little to no prestige. The style of the promotion has been decided to be a "pure" style of wrestling - something very unfamiliar to much of these fans in 1983.

Cambridge unveils his ace in the sleeve on ESPN (shock shock.) Cambridge: Ladies and gentleman, esteemed members of the press. I am Donovan Cambridge, and alongside of me is CWO president, Lou Thesz. Next Tuesday night, right here on ESPN at 8:00 PM we bring to you a new era in professional wrestling. CWO Wrestling Zone, each Tuesday night LIVE at 8:00 PM on ESPN. You will be able to witness several of the top level wrestlers in the sport today. We have signed a Pay Per View agreement as well and promise several Pay Per Views per year and at least a big event each month. With the exposure on this grand network we hope to bring the sport of professional wrestling into the homes of millions of people. No questions will be addressed as we have work to do in order to get this first show off the ground next week. Cambridge decides to overload his roster with some top shelf talent in hopes of producing great matchups that people will come out to see. With his money he has hired this roster going into his opening week of competition: Main Eventers: Chavo Guerrerro Terry Taylor Stan Lane Robert Gibson Jake Roberts Lanny Poffo Hector Guerrerro Magnum TA Stan Hansen Bob Backlund Bobby Eaton Ricky Morton Upper Midcarders: Shawn Michaels Al Perez Eddie Guerrerro Dean Malenko Bad News Allen Sid Vicious Big Van Vader Dan Severn Midcarders: Steven Regal Chris Jericho Shane Douglas Ron Simmons Lower Midcarders: Raven Vampiro Announcing Team: Bobby Heenan Gene Okerland Ref: Earl Hebner Road Agents: Lou Thesz JJ Dillon Eric Bischoff

Cambridge unveils his ace in the sleeve on ESPN (shock shock.) Cambridge: Ladies and gentleman, esteemed members of the press. I am Donovan Cambridge, and alongside of me is CWO president, Lou Thesz. Next Tuesday night, right here on ESPN at 8:00 PM we bring to you a new era in professional wrestling. CWO Wrestling Zone, each Tuesday night LIVE at 8:00 PM on ESPN. You will be able to witness several of the top level wrestlers in the sport today. We have signed a Pay Per View agreement as well and promise several Pay Per Views per year and at least a big event each month. With the exposure on this grand network we hope to bring the sport of professional wrestling into the homes of millions of people. No questions will be addressed as we have work to do in order to get this first show off the ground next week. Cambridge decides to overload his roster with some top shelf talent in hopes of producing great matchups that people will come out to see. With his money he has hired this roster going into his opening week of competition: Main Eventers: Chavo Guerrerro Terry Taylor Stan Lane Robert Gibson Jake Roberts Lanny Poffo Hector Guerrerro Magnum TA Stan Hansen Bob Backlund Bobby Eaton Ricky Morton Upper Midcarders: Shawn Michaels Al Perez Eddie Guerrerro Dean Malenko Bad News Allen Sid Vicious Big Van Vader Dan Severn Midcarders: Steven Regal Chris Jericho Shane Douglas Ron Simmons Lower Midcarders: Raven Vampiro Announcing Team: Bobby Heenan Gene Okerland Ref: Earl Hebner Road Agents: Lou Thesz JJ Dillon Eric Bischoff

A backstage meeting occurs with all the wrestlers: Cambridge - Thank you each and every one for coming. I know all of you are skeptical about this promotion and how things will go but the money is there, guaranteed, and I know that looks good to all of you. Since Mr. Thesz has agreed to let me be the head booker all matches go through me. I will give everyone here a fair shake and your performance will determine your pushes. Now, with this being a pure fed there are no storylines - you all have to get in there and bust your balls and make people forget about stories. Now, here's my kicker - you all are big boys and can take care of yourselves. True, I will book the matches, who is in them, the time I want you all to go out there and fight - all that garbage. What I WILL NOT do is determine who wins. Jake Roberts: "WHAT? Are you f'n crazy? What in the ---- is this all about?" (Other wrestlers all talking among themselves and it gets louder and louder until we hear Cambridge pound his fist against the wall and yell out above them) ----- HEY! You liked my money and had no questions when I threw it at you. Now, I don't expect this to be popular and it's never been tried before. If I am going to promote this as "pure" wrestling you boys go out there and make even me believe in it. I'll set up matches, title matches, everything. It's up to you gentleman to decide who wins. Sometimes I may call for a certain finish, a DQ, a time limit, whatever. But I will never tell you who is going to win the match itself. Fans can sense fakeness in professional wrestling. Well, they can also sense something special. I'm trying to create that special something and revolutionize the sport you all love, the sport I love. Now, I know some of you may hate this but you can either learn to deal with it or find employment elsewhere. Now, I'm going to start a 16 man tournament for the World Title on our show Tuesday night. We have a World Champion, a Television Champion, a "Young Lion" Champion, World Tag Champions, and TV Tag Champions. We will focus on the World tournament to start things off to try to get a positive buzz about this promotion. With the talent of you gentleman standing in front of me I know you can bring the goods...

A backstage meeting occurs with all the wrestlers: Cambridge - Thank you each and every one for coming. I know all of you are skeptical about this promotion and how things will go but the money is there, guaranteed, and I know that looks good to all of you. Since Mr. Thesz has agreed to let me be the head booker all matches go through me. I will give everyone here a fair shake and your performance will determine your pushes. Now, with this being a pure fed there are no storylines - you all have to get in there and bust your balls and make people forget about stories. Now, here's my kicker - you all are big boys and can take care of yourselves. True, I will book the matches, who is in them, the time I want you all to go out there and fight - all that garbage. What I WILL NOT do is determine who wins. Jake Roberts: "WHAT? Are you f'n crazy? What in the ---- is this all about?" (Other wrestlers all talking among themselves and it gets louder and louder until we hear Cambridge pound his fist against the wall and yell out above them) ----- HEY! You liked my money and had no questions when I threw it at you. Now, I don't expect this to be popular and it's never been tried before. If I am going to promote this as "pure" wrestling you boys go out there and make even me believe in it. I'll set up matches, title matches, everything. It's up to you gentleman to decide who wins. Sometimes I may call for a certain finish, a DQ, a time limit, whatever. But I will never tell you who is going to win the match itself. Fans can sense fakeness in professional wrestling. Well, they can also sense something special. I'm trying to create that special something and revolutionize the sport you all love, the sport I love. Now, I know some of you may hate this but you can either learn to deal with it or find employment elsewhere. Now, I'm going to start a 16 man tournament for the World Title on our show Tuesday night. We have a World Champion, a Television Champion, a "Young Lion" Champion, World Tag Champions, and TV Tag Champions. We will focus on the World tournament to start things off to try to get a positive buzz about this promotion. With the talent of you gentleman standing in front of me I know you can bring the goods...

First Show: CWO Wrestling Zone from the Bristol National Guard Armory - 120 in attendance. Vampiro beat Ron Simmons in a dark match - F Shane Douglas beat Raven in the other dark match - F World Tourney Round 1: Stan Lane pinned Magnum TA - C+ Big Van Vader pinned Dan Severn - E Lanny Poffo pinned Terry Taylor - C Ricky Morton pinned Hector Guerrero - C+ Overall rating: C After each show there will be the "Cambridge Corner" with ramblings from the booker Donovan Cambridge.... Cambridge Corner: (Looking over the results) Well, we can work with this. I was thinking Magnum would have went further but we can use him in other quality matchups. Too bad that Stan Hansen, Bad News Allen, Chavo Guerrerro, Bob Backlund, and Jake Roberts all are unavailable on most Tuesday nights. We will just have to work around it - we are still small time.

First Show: CWO Wrestling Zone from the Bristol National Guard Armory - 120 in attendance. Vampiro beat Ron Simmons in a dark match - F Shane Douglas beat Raven in the other dark match - F World Tourney Round 1: Stan Lane pinned Magnum TA - C+ Big Van Vader pinned Dan Severn - E Lanny Poffo pinned Terry Taylor - C Ricky Morton pinned Hector Guerrero - C+ Overall rating: C After each show there will be the "Cambridge Corner" with ramblings from the booker Donovan Cambridge.... Cambridge Corner: (Looking over the results) Well, we can work with this. I was thinking Magnum would have went further but we can use him in other quality matchups. Too bad that Stan Hansen, Bad News Allen, Chavo Guerrerro, Bob Backlund, and Jake Roberts all are unavailable on most Tuesday nights. We will just have to work around it - we are still small time.

Week 3 Jan. 1983 CWO Wrestling Zone from the Blackwell Community Center - 120 in attendance Dark Match: Chris Jericho pinned Steven Regal - F World Tournament: Sid Vicious pinned Ron Simmons - F Robert Gibson pinned Eddie Guerrerro - F Shawn Michaels pinned Al Perez - F Bobby Eaton pinned Dean Malenko - C- Overall Rating - D Cambridge Corner: ESPN is on my butt about ratings. The first week's rating was 789 people. This show drew in 1,536 so we nearly doubled it. I hope ESPN gives me some time to get this off the ground - good lord. Now we are down to 8 for our World Champion. Whoever wins it will definitely be looking at a defense against Backland or Hansen when they are in town though.

Week 3 Jan. 1983 CWO Wrestling Zone from the Blackwell Community Center - 120 in attendance Dark Match: Chris Jericho pinned Steven Regal - F World Tournament: Sid Vicious pinned Ron Simmons - F Robert Gibson pinned Eddie Guerrerro - F Shawn Michaels pinned Al Perez - F Bobby Eaton pinned Dean Malenko - C- Overall Rating - D Cambridge Corner: ESPN is on my butt about ratings. The first week's rating was 789 people. This show drew in 1,536 so we nearly doubled it. I hope ESPN gives me some time to get this off the ground - good lord. Now we are down to 8 for our World Champion. Whoever wins it will definitely be looking at a defense against Backland or Hansen when they are in town though.

First Ever PPV CWO Ice Storm - Friday, Week 3, Jan. 1983 Held at the Battle Zone Arena with 338 in attendance and 5,054 PPV buys. In non tournament action: Robert Gibson pinned Dean Malenko - C Bad News Allen pinned Dan Severn - D Tournament Action: Stan Lane pinned Sid Vicious - C- Lanny Poffo pinned Shawn Michaels - C- Ricky Morton pinned Bobby Eaton - C Big Van Vader and Robert Gibson's match had to be pushed back due to a previous engagement by Vader. That match will take place on CWO Wrestling Zone. Main Event: In a 60 Minute Iron Man Match Stan Hansen beat Bob Backlund 3 falls to 1 - B+ Show rating: B- Cambridge Corner: First ever PPV and I'm pretty happy. With only one match a D and all the rest at least in the C's my guys put on a good show for the paying fans. Hansen and Backlund put on a wrestling clinic and deserved a good rating for their effort. Vader being out threw a wrench into my plans but we'll work around it on Wrestling Zone.

First Ever PPV CWO Ice Storm - Friday, Week 3, Jan. 1983 Held at the Battle Zone Arena with 338 in attendance and 5,054 PPV buys. In non tournament action: Robert Gibson pinned Dean Malenko - C Bad News Allen pinned Dan Severn - D Tournament Action: Stan Lane pinned Sid Vicious - C- Lanny Poffo pinned Shawn Michaels - C- Ricky Morton pinned Bobby Eaton - C Big Van Vader and Robert Gibson's match had to be pushed back due to a previous engagement by Vader. That match will take place on CWO Wrestling Zone. Main Event: In a 60 Minute Iron Man Match Stan Hansen beat Bob Backlund 3 falls to 1 - B+ Show rating: B- Cambridge Corner: First ever PPV and I'm pretty happy. With only one match a D and all the rest at least in the C's my guys put on a good show for the paying fans. Hansen and Backlund put on a wrestling clinic and deserved a good rating for their effort. Vader being out threw a wrench into my plans but we'll work around it on Wrestling Zone.

Week 4 Jan. 1983 CWO Wrestling Zone from Cherryville High School - 115 in attendance Raven pinned Al Perez - F Eddie Guerrerro pinned Chris Jericho - F Hector Guerrerro pinned Ron Simmons - C- Stan Lane, Lanny Poffo, and Ricky Morton beat Sid Vicious, Shawn Michaels, and Bobby Eaton - C- Tournament action Main Event: Robert Gibson pinned Van Vader - C- Cambridge Corner: Glad I thought to book a 6 man match to make the 3 guys still in it wrestle as well. Morton pinned Eaton, again. Now we are down to the final 4 for the World Title with semifinals coming up next week.

Week 4 Jan. 1983 CWO Wrestling Zone from Cherryville High School - 115 in attendance Raven pinned Al Perez - F Eddie Guerrerro pinned Chris Jericho - F Hector Guerrerro pinned Ron Simmons - C- Stan Lane, Lanny Poffo, and Ricky Morton beat Sid Vicious, Shawn Michaels, and Bobby Eaton - C- Tournament action Main Event: Robert Gibson pinned Van Vader - C- Cambridge Corner: Glad I thought to book a 6 man match to make the 3 guys still in it wrestle as well. Morton pinned Eaton, again. Now we are down to the final 4 for the World Title with semifinals coming up next week.

February Week 1, 1983 CWO Wrestling Zone from the Lawrence Armory - 108 in attendance Raven pinned Vampiro - F Sid Vicious pinned Dan Severn - E Stan Hansen pinned Magnum TA - B Semifinals: Robert Gibson pinned Stan Lane - C Ricky Morton pinned Lanny Poffo - C Show rating - C Cambridge Corner: Well, well, well, a R&R World Title final. Too friggin bad ESPN canceled us after we got the rating to over 2,000 people just 4 shows in from 789 at the beginning. I have decided to schedule a weekly small show to keep us going - screw TV and screw my uncle. He says his "political power" can only go so far and the higher ups at ESPN didn't like seeing only a hundred or so rednecks in the arena. They are too blind to see the in ring action is decent - and taking a turn for the better. They didn't even give us a chance. They'd rather show the World Dart Championships - yeah, that's more exciting. CWO will show them and the rest of the wrestling world that is making fun of us now that we are going to stick this out and put on good shows regardless of the situation!

February Week 1, 1983 CWO Wrestling Zone from the Lawrence Armory - 108 in attendance Raven pinned Vampiro - F Sid Vicious pinned Dan Severn - E Stan Hansen pinned Magnum TA - B Semifinals: Robert Gibson pinned Stan Lane - C Ricky Morton pinned Lanny Poffo - C Show rating - C Cambridge Corner: Well, well, well, a R&R World Title final. Too friggin bad ESPN canceled us after we got the rating to over 2,000 people just 4 shows in from 789 at the beginning. I have decided to schedule a weekly small show to keep us going - screw TV and screw my uncle. He says his "political power" can only go so far and the higher ups at ESPN didn't like seeing only a hundred or so rednecks in the arena. They are too blind to see the in ring action is decent - and taking a turn for the better. They didn't even give us a chance. They'd rather show the World Dart Championships - yeah, that's more exciting. CWO will show them and the rest of the wrestling world that is making fun of us now that we are going to stick this out and put on good shows regardless of the situation!

Archived