Steve McClaren - wrong man for the job?

panix04

I have to admit i was a tad gutted when England failed to land big Phil Scolari, sure there will be those (mostly the older generations) who believe having a foreign coach is counter productive. But if the best that England has to offer up is Steve McClaren then looking abroad is really the only viable option. I know he has only lost the one game and Crotia have an exellent home record, but lets face it England are boring, i actually turned the football over to watch X-Factor on saturday! Mclaren tried to make a big statement of intent by axing beckham when he first took the role and i immediatly thought, what sort of idiot drops David Beckham? Sure he isn't as young as he once was, but surely a fully fit Beckham playing in his natural right wing position has got to be better than an out of position Gerrard. And if McClarn is going to plump for 3-5-2 does he have to be so friggin negative about it? why do the wide men have to both be full backs? Granted he doesn't have a lot of choice on the left flank and Cole is probably a safer bet than Downing, but why not put Becks at right wing back, or Gerrard? Anyone who could give us a bit of an attacking option would do! Nevill could sit in the centre, or when everyones fit you could have Terry, Rio and King at the back. Anyway, would be curious to hear your thoughts on McClarens start as England gaffer, just to see if im the only one who is sick to death of having a joke of a national side.

Wrong man for the job? Yep! I know there are Beckham haters out there but since his departure it's been proven that he was an integral part of the team. Just looking at today's game, we had no width whatsoever combined with poor corners and freekicks. I thought Stuart Downing had a fairly good game on Saturday as he certainly made it difficult for the defenders. So why take him off the starting eleven for this game?! What annoys me about McLaren is that he's done one thing right so far in my opinion but is too scared to follow it through. Darren Bent should be on the team without doubt, so McLaren puts him on the bench and yet brings on Jermaine Defoe.... AGAIN. Darren Bent was the third highest scoring player in the Premiership last season, only behind Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Thierry Henry. That makes Darren Bent the highest scoring English player last season so how can he not deserve a spot on the national side?! He should certainly be on the team at the minute what with Rooney having his head up his backside. :rolleyes: McLaren should have the stones to get Frank Lampard off the team aswell. He had a truly dismal World Cup and he hasn't done anything since then either. On Saturday I missed the first 5 minutes of the game and it wasn't until half time that I realised he was even on the pitch because he'd done nothing! If it were up to me, assuming everyone's fit or not suspended, i'd have a 4-4-2: Goalkeeper: Robinson (his mistake today made me scream words that would make a sailer blush. On seeing the replay and watching the ball bobble at the exact time he was going to kick it I realised it wasn't his fault) Defenders: Ashley Cole, John Terry (still think he's overated though), Ledly King, Gary Neville or Wes Brown Midfielders: Joe Cole or Kieran Richardson, Rio Ferdinand (yep, in midfield just in front of defence), Gerrard, Aaron Lennon Strikers: Peter Crouch (he's finally won me over) and Darren Bent. (Rooney shouldn't be on until he gets his form sorted out) As for who should be manager instead of McLaren, there are three I was hoping would have got the job: Sam Allardyce, Stuart Pearce and Martin O'Neil.

Wrong man for the job? Yep! I know there are Beckham haters out there but since his departure it's been proven that he was an integral part of the team. Just looking at today's game, we had no width whatsoever combined with poor corners and freekicks. I thought Stuart Downing had a fairly good game on Saturday as he certainly made it difficult for the defenders. So why take him off the starting eleven for this game?! What annoys me about McLaren is that he's done one thing right so far in my opinion but is too scared to follow it through. Darren Bent should be on the team without doubt, so McLaren puts him on the bench and yet brings on Jermaine Defoe.... AGAIN. Darren Bent was the third highest scoring player in the Premiership last season, only behind Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Thierry Henry. That makes Darren Bent the highest scoring English player last season so how can he not deserve a spot on the national side?! He should certainly be on the team at the minute what with Rooney having his head up his backside. :rolleyes: McLaren should have the stones to get Frank Lampard off the team aswell. He had a truly dismal World Cup and he hasn't done anything since then either. On Saturday I missed the first 5 minutes of the game and it wasn't until half time that I realised he was even on the pitch because he'd done nothing! If it were up to me, assuming everyone's fit or not suspended, i'd have a 4-4-2: Goalkeeper: Robinson (his mistake today made me scream words that would make a sailer blush. On seeing the replay and watching the ball bobble at the exact time he was going to kick it I realised it wasn't his fault) Defenders: Ashley Cole, John Terry (still think he's overated though), Ledly King, Gary Neville or Wes Brown Midfielders: Joe Cole or Kieran Richardson, Rio Ferdinand (yep, in midfield just in front of defence), Gerrard, Aaron Lennon Strikers: Peter Crouch (he's finally won me over) and Darren Bent. (Rooney shouldn't be on until he gets his form sorted out) As for who should be manager instead of McLaren, there are three I was hoping would have got the job: Sam Allardyce, Stuart Pearce and Martin O'Neil.

Archived