WWE issues apology for accidental nudity during No Mercy PPV

Travis

"World Wrestling Entertainment issued the following statement on their website early Monday morning following a brief, accidental showing of nudity during a locker room vignette on last night's No Mercy PPV: [b]World Wrestling Entertainment would like to apologize to anyone who watched WWE No Mercy and was offended by the William Regal locker room incident. Conduct of this kind is unacceptable in a family-friendly environment, and WWE accepts full responsibility. Nudity of any kind, even in a live television environment, is offensive to our audience and to the reputation of our company.[/b]" For a company that has done "Live SEX" on TV, Diva Strip Poker and divas stripping in front of a crowd just about every week, all within this year let alone, the WWE goes out and says any "Conduct of this kind is unacceptable in a family-friendly environment" almost knocks me out of my seat. I don't think Vince minded when there was divas taking off their clothes and sex in the ring bothered him in his "family friendly" environment, but when he gets a glimpse of Regal, he gets all censored up and worries about his good, clean public reputation. Talk about Hypocrisy up the ass.

I'm more bothered about how much male ass we're exposed to, but that's just me. Pick your battles, man. Is it really worth busting out the righteous indignation for something as insignificant as this, especially considering this is actually an apology? There are bigger fish to fry.

I'm more bothered about how much male ass we're exposed to, but that's just me. Pick your battles, man. Is it really worth busting out the righteous indignation for something as insignificant as this, especially considering this is actually an apology? There are bigger fish to fry.

[QUOTE=Almaida;154655]something as insignificant as this[/QUOTE] WWE does this type of stuff every week, it's pretty significant to them. I'm just surprised they would even apologize, let alone say they're....family friendly. Maybe to the McMahons it's friendly to their family. Vince must be very selective to who he'd be willing to see in their B-Day suit, and apparently Regal isn't his favorite. So he publicly needs to announce that to keep his reputation.

[QUOTE=Almaida;154655]something as insignificant as this[/QUOTE] WWE does this type of stuff every week, it's pretty significant to them. I'm just surprised they would even apologize, let alone say they're....family friendly. Maybe to the McMahons it's friendly to their family. Vince must be very selective to who he'd be willing to see in their B-Day suit, and apparently Regal isn't his favorite. So he publicly needs to announce that to keep his reputation.

[QUOTE=Travis;154677]WWE does this type of stuff every week, it's pretty significant to them. I'm just surprised they would even apologize, let alone say they're....family friendly. Maybe to the McMahons it's friendly to their family. Vince must be very selective to who he'd be willing to see in their B-Day suit, and apparently Regal isn't his favorite. So he publicly needs to announce that to keep his reputation.[/QUOTE] the reason they are apologising for the incident is because there was [B]actual nudity[/B] in it. When the divas strip down every week they are at least still covered up in the important areas and from what i've read there was no visible nudity in the diva strip poker, and although there was brief nudity in the "live sex" segment it was accidental and they shot to black almost instantly can't remember if they apologised for it or not, but either way i think more people would have been offended by Regal's junk then by one of Lita's breasts. Mainly because it is more acceptable to show breasts even mens as has been the case with recent wwe programming than it is to reveal anything below the waist line.

[QUOTE=Travis;154677]WWE does this type of stuff every week, it's pretty significant to them. I'm just surprised they would even apologize, let alone say they're....family friendly. Maybe to the McMahons it's friendly to their family. Vince must be very selective to who he'd be willing to see in their B-Day suit, and apparently Regal isn't his favorite. So he publicly needs to announce that to keep his reputation.[/QUOTE] the reason they are apologising for the incident is because there was [B]actual nudity[/B] in it. When the divas strip down every week they are at least still covered up in the important areas and from what i've read there was no visible nudity in the diva strip poker, and although there was brief nudity in the "live sex" segment it was accidental and they shot to black almost instantly can't remember if they apologised for it or not, but either way i think more people would have been offended by Regal's junk then by one of Lita's breasts. Mainly because it is more acceptable to show breasts even mens as has been the case with recent wwe programming than it is to reveal anything below the waist line.

[QUOTE=Travis;154677]WWE does this type of stuff every week, it's pretty significant to them. I'm just surprised they would even apologize, let alone say they're....family friendly. Maybe to the McMahons it's friendly to their family. Vince must be very selective to who he'd be willing to see in their B-Day suit, and apparently Regal isn't his favorite. So he publicly needs to announce that to keep his reputation.[/QUOTE] Travis, you're kinda splitting hairs here. While I would agree that, as a company, WWE cannot be considered 'family friendly', the Smackdown brand is their family friendly product. You don't generally see anywhere near the level of debauchery on Smackdown as you do on Raw and ECW. No Mercy being a PPV for the family friendly brand and broadcast on a "major" free television outlet, they had to at least give good face by apologizing. Was the apology genuine? I don't think so. I think it was a good example of CYA at the corporate level. But that's immaterial, really. Given the WWE's primary audience (or, I should say, the sex of their primary audience), you should see why having scantily clad women constantly depicted isn't the same thing as showing some dude's johnson. I don't remember if they issued a public apology when Jackie Gayda had her "wardrobe malfunction" but I don't think too many folks would complain about that.

[QUOTE=Travis;154677]WWE does this type of stuff every week, it's pretty significant to them. I'm just surprised they would even apologize, let alone say they're....family friendly. Maybe to the McMahons it's friendly to their family. Vince must be very selective to who he'd be willing to see in their B-Day suit, and apparently Regal isn't his favorite. So he publicly needs to announce that to keep his reputation.[/QUOTE] Travis, you're kinda splitting hairs here. While I would agree that, as a company, WWE cannot be considered 'family friendly', the Smackdown brand is their family friendly product. You don't generally see anywhere near the level of debauchery on Smackdown as you do on Raw and ECW. No Mercy being a PPV for the family friendly brand and broadcast on a "major" free television outlet, they had to at least give good face by apologizing. Was the apology genuine? I don't think so. I think it was a good example of CYA at the corporate level. But that's immaterial, really. Given the WWE's primary audience (or, I should say, the sex of their primary audience), you should see why having scantily clad women constantly depicted isn't the same thing as showing some dude's johnson. I don't remember if they issued a public apology when Jackie Gayda had her "wardrobe malfunction" but I don't think too many folks would complain about that.

[QUOTE]WWE: ECW October 13, 2006 (Airs Friday in Canada) - I am NOT watching ECW this week. I record the show each week but walked in during one of the Diva strip poker segments. This was so embarassingly bad I refuse to watch the rest of the show in protest. Who ever booked this should apologize to fans and the poor girls they made take part in it.[/QUOTE] There's what Lance Storm had to say about it on his [URL="http://www.stormwrestling.com/tvthoughts.html"]website[/URL]. To be honest, I had kinda the same reaction. I tried my hardest to watch, but I ended up watching something else anyway. It is ironic that the WWE was apologizing for William Regal's nudity at the same time it was advertising that someone would be stripped naked during the strip poker game, but what can you do? :cool:

[QUOTE]WWE: ECW October 13, 2006 (Airs Friday in Canada) - I am NOT watching ECW this week. I record the show each week but walked in during one of the Diva strip poker segments. This was so embarassingly bad I refuse to watch the rest of the show in protest. Who ever booked this should apologize to fans and the poor girls they made take part in it.[/QUOTE] There's what Lance Storm had to say about it on his [URL="http://www.stormwrestling.com/tvthoughts.html"]website[/URL]. To be honest, I had kinda the same reaction. I tried my hardest to watch, but I ended up watching something else anyway. It is ironic that the WWE was apologizing for William Regal's nudity at the same time it was advertising that someone would be stripped naked during the strip poker game, but what can you do? :cool:

[QUOTE=Travis;154704]Well what can you do. Pretty cheap way to get an audience. Nothing more says ratings than "look at me naked."[/QUOTE] Why are you getting so annoyed by this Travis? :confused: Almaida seemed to be right on the money - this is a really insignificant incident; the WWE has done a lot of stuff far cheaper, far more controversial, and far more hypocritical than this in the past. Unless you've only been a wrestling fan for a few weeks, "WWE uses cheap tactics to get viewers" isn't really an earth-shattering revelation, they've been doing it longer than most people on these boards have been alive!

[QUOTE=Travis;154704]Well what can you do. Pretty cheap way to get an audience. Nothing more says ratings than "look at me naked."[/QUOTE] Why are you getting so annoyed by this Travis? :confused: Almaida seemed to be right on the money - this is a really insignificant incident; the WWE has done a lot of stuff far cheaper, far more controversial, and far more hypocritical than this in the past. Unless you've only been a wrestling fan for a few weeks, "WWE uses cheap tactics to get viewers" isn't really an earth-shattering revelation, they've been doing it longer than most people on these boards have been alive!

I'd have thought the only reason they would apologise was if they felt they had to, if there had been a significant number of complaints made. What I find funny is that more people must have complained about naked Regal than anything else the E has been up to lately in order to prompt the apology in the first place.

I'd have thought the only reason they would apologise was if they felt they had to, if there had been a significant number of complaints made. What I find funny is that more people must have complained about naked Regal than anything else the E has been up to lately in order to prompt the apology in the first place.

[QUOTE=flamebrain;154747]I'd have thought the only reason they would apologise was if they felt they had to, if there had been a significant number of complaints made. What I find funny is that more people must have complained about naked Regal than anything else the E has been up to lately in order to prompt the apology in the first place.[/QUOTE] Unless of course they only intended to film Regal from behind and the cameraman ended up catching far more on film then they'd ever intended. I can't imagine Regal's bits got more complaints then stuff like Katie Vick or Al Wilson.

[QUOTE=flamebrain;154747]I'd have thought the only reason they would apologise was if they felt they had to, if there had been a significant number of complaints made. What I find funny is that more people must have complained about naked Regal than anything else the E has been up to lately in order to prompt the apology in the first place.[/QUOTE] Unless of course they only intended to film Regal from behind and the cameraman ended up catching far more on film then they'd ever intended. I can't imagine Regal's bits got more complaints then stuff like Katie Vick or Al Wilson.

Archived