best ever wrestling game

panix04

With a discussion going on in the dog pound im curious to see what people rate as the ultimate wrestling game. For me its a toss up between SDvsRaw for multitap fun, i have spent a lot of nights fighting for the 'tea towel championship' one player i would have to plump for wrespi2, i am addicted to that game at the moment and try to play atleast 4 matches a day!

Get yourself down to your nearest Gamestation store, they're bound to have an N64 in there for about £20! Failing that, eBay. Alternatively you can have mine for £200 with a bunch of games, No Mercy included. Too expensive? You betcha, my N64 is going nowhere! :D Never played the Fire Pro series of games but it's probably one of the few wrestling games I haven't played over the years. I was even playing wrestling games way back when on my Commodore 64: Championship Wrestling (1986?), Tag-Team Wrestling (1987?), Intergalactic Cage Match (1988?), WWF WrestleMania (1990?).

Get yourself down to your nearest Gamestation store, they're bound to have an N64 in there for about £20! Failing that, eBay. Alternatively you can have mine for £200 with a bunch of games, No Mercy included. Too expensive? You betcha, my N64 is going nowhere! :D Never played the Fire Pro series of games but it's probably one of the few wrestling games I haven't played over the years. I was even playing wrestling games way back when on my Commodore 64: Championship Wrestling (1986?), Tag-Team Wrestling (1987?), Intergalactic Cage Match (1988?), WWF WrestleMania (1990?).

The wrestling game I played most was WWE Raw 2 on Xbox which was perfect except for the sub-par gameplay and AI. It had one of the best rosters ever in a wrestling game, best create entrance mode plus custom soundtracks. No wrestling game has had custom soundtracks since that game and WWE SvsR 07 wont have them either but ultimatly I believe the smackdown series are the best wrestling games ever, my favourite probably being HCTP. Graphics mean alot to me and these days No Mercy just doesnt cut it at all.

The wrestling game I played most was WWE Raw 2 on Xbox which was perfect except for the sub-par gameplay and AI. It had one of the best rosters ever in a wrestling game, best create entrance mode plus custom soundtracks. No wrestling game has had custom soundtracks since that game and WWE SvsR 07 wont have them either but ultimatly I believe the smackdown series are the best wrestling games ever, my favourite probably being HCTP. Graphics mean alot to me and these days No Mercy just doesnt cut it at all.

[QUOTE=panix04;155377]i never had an N64! I feel i have missed out on something big! Did anybody play hat friepro game? I have heard people rave about it, but im curious to know what the big deal is![/QUOTE] It's one of those games that people either absolutely love or absolutely hate. Graphically it can't compare with games like Smackdown, but fans of the series will tell you that the game mechanics are superb and blow everything else out of the water.

[QUOTE=panix04;155377]i never had an N64! I feel i have missed out on something big! Did anybody play hat friepro game? I have heard people rave about it, but im curious to know what the big deal is![/QUOTE] It's one of those games that people either absolutely love or absolutely hate. Graphically it can't compare with games like Smackdown, but fans of the series will tell you that the game mechanics are superb and blow everything else out of the water.

out of all the Smackdown series i think HCTP was the best, the season mode just seemd to last forever, it was very in-depth and you had lots of choice's, dont get me wrong the voice overs and cut scene's from '06 are cool, but i would take gameplay over sound and graphics every time. [QUOTE=Adam Ryland;155381]It's one of those games that people either absolutely love or absolutely hate. Graphically it can't compare with games like Smackdown, but fans of the series will tell you that the game mechanics are superb and blow everything else out of the water.[/QUOTE] yeah, i have been researching it and apparantly it is more of a tactical game rather than a button mashing game, sounds interesting to be honest.

out of all the Smackdown series i think HCTP was the best, the season mode just seemd to last forever, it was very in-depth and you had lots of choice's, dont get me wrong the voice overs and cut scene's from '06 are cool, but i would take gameplay over sound and graphics every time. [QUOTE=Adam Ryland;155381]It's one of those games that people either absolutely love or absolutely hate. Graphically it can't compare with games like Smackdown, but fans of the series will tell you that the game mechanics are superb and blow everything else out of the water.[/QUOTE] yeah, i have been researching it and apparantly it is more of a tactical game rather than a button mashing game, sounds interesting to be honest.

[QUOTE=The Gaz;155379]The wrestling game I played most was WWE Raw 2 on Xbox which was perfect except for the sub-par gameplay and AI. It had one of the best rosters ever in a wrestling game, best create entrance mode plus custom soundtracks. No wrestling game has had custom soundtracks since that game and WWE SvsR 07 wont have them either but ultimatly I believe the smackdown series are the best wrestling games ever, my favourite probably being HCTP. Graphics mean alot to me and these days No Mercy just doesnt cut it at all.[/QUOTE] I think that if the team behind Raw 2 were given the go ahead to make Raw 3 it could've been on par with No Mercy. The Smackdown games are very much style over substance and they've never been very tactical. You could probably win a match in 3 minutes by doing mostly clotheslines/dropkicks. I'm very much looking forward to Wrestle Kingdom for the Xbox 360, seems to be No Mercy for the next generation consoles but with Japanese wrestlers. :D

[QUOTE=The Gaz;155379]The wrestling game I played most was WWE Raw 2 on Xbox which was perfect except for the sub-par gameplay and AI. It had one of the best rosters ever in a wrestling game, best create entrance mode plus custom soundtracks. No wrestling game has had custom soundtracks since that game and WWE SvsR 07 wont have them either but ultimatly I believe the smackdown series are the best wrestling games ever, my favourite probably being HCTP. Graphics mean alot to me and these days No Mercy just doesnt cut it at all.[/QUOTE] I think that if the team behind Raw 2 were given the go ahead to make Raw 3 it could've been on par with No Mercy. The Smackdown games are very much style over substance and they've never been very tactical. You could probably win a match in 3 minutes by doing mostly clotheslines/dropkicks. I'm very much looking forward to Wrestle Kingdom for the Xbox 360, seems to be No Mercy for the next generation consoles but with Japanese wrestlers. :D

If you're looking for an arcade-style wrestling game with strategy, try getting Giant Gram 2K for the DreamCast. It's from All Japan, and has guys like Misawa, Vader, Kobashi, etc. If it wasn't for its two big drawbacks (gameplay gets repetitive pretty quickly and its all in Japanese - and I guess a third would be that it's only on the DreamCast!) it'd be the best wrestling game of its type, bar none. Great graphics, great game play, lots of small realistic touches, lovely smooth controls...well worth a try.

If you're looking for an arcade-style wrestling game with strategy, try getting Giant Gram 2K for the DreamCast. It's from All Japan, and has guys like Misawa, Vader, Kobashi, etc. If it wasn't for its two big drawbacks (gameplay gets repetitive pretty quickly and its all in Japanese - and I guess a third would be that it's only on the DreamCast!) it'd be the best wrestling game of its type, bar none. Great graphics, great game play, lots of small realistic touches, lovely smooth controls...well worth a try.

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland;155388]If you're looking for an arcade-style wrestling game with strategy, try getting Giant Gram 2K for the DreamCast. It's from All Japan, and has guys like Misawa, Vader, Kobashi, etc. If it wasn't for its two big drawbacks (gameplay gets repetitive pretty quickly and its all in Japanese - and I guess a third would be that it's only on the DreamCast!) it'd be the best wrestling game of its type, bar none. Great graphics, great game play, lots of small realistic touches, lovely smooth controls...well worth a try.[/QUOTE] Duly noted, I keep meaning to get my hands on a Dreamcast to add to my ever growing list of consoles: NES, Megadrive, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox 360 Plus Dreamcasts are dirt cheap and so are the games. Ooooh it's payday next week.... :D

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland;155388]If you're looking for an arcade-style wrestling game with strategy, try getting Giant Gram 2K for the DreamCast. It's from All Japan, and has guys like Misawa, Vader, Kobashi, etc. If it wasn't for its two big drawbacks (gameplay gets repetitive pretty quickly and its all in Japanese - and I guess a third would be that it's only on the DreamCast!) it'd be the best wrestling game of its type, bar none. Great graphics, great game play, lots of small realistic touches, lovely smooth controls...well worth a try.[/QUOTE] Duly noted, I keep meaning to get my hands on a Dreamcast to add to my ever growing list of consoles: NES, Megadrive, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox 360 Plus Dreamcasts are dirt cheap and so are the games. Ooooh it's payday next week.... :D

Archived