Game plans when calling plays

[QUOTE=GridironGamer;159954]When not calling your own plays can you use [B]both[/B] playbook and strategy in unison to call plays? Just making sure I am not canceling out one with the other.[/QUOTE] Yeah you can. In playbook where you set your percentages that is the lickly hood that particluar play will be called. If you are also using strategy, this will determine what type of play you want to call (pass to TE), then it will look at your playbook and select a play that fits (will look at all plays where it is a pass to TE, then use the % you set to pick one of them.) Personaly I really like the gameplan/playbook setup in this game. The only game that I have played that had a better setup was the old FBPro games, but with that said I am easly able to make a winning gameplan to fit any team I coach.

[QUOTE=GridironGamer;159954]When not calling your own plays can you use [B]both[/B] playbook and strategy in unison to call plays? Just making sure I am not canceling out one with the other.[/QUOTE] When not calling your own plays, you do one of the following: A. Use your gameplan and your playbook. You set your playbook for each type of play and then the gameplan calls those plays when the percentages dictate. B. Use your gameplan and your strategies. Here, your gameplan will dictate a type of play (ie, inside run). But, instead of checking a playbook, the game will look at your strategies to determine which inside run play to choose.

How long does it take to build a gameplan 5 mins, 1hr b4 each game? I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to this. I am horrible @ calling plays. If anyone has any tips on how to effectively call plays I am all ears. Someone should start a post on playcalling tips.

[QUOTE=FSUfan;160330]How long does it take to build a gameplan 5 mins, 1hr b4 each game? I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to this. I am horrible @ calling plays. If anyone has any tips on how to effectively call plays I am all ears. Someone should start a post on playcalling tips.[/QUOTE] Depends completely on your players. Mainly the QB type and RB running style. A good speed WR also seems to excel at catching long passes if you have a QB who can throw the deep ball (arm strength > 75 or so), so call long passes where he is the primary receiver (usually the SE for long passes). Inside runs are good for short yardage and moderate gains, outside runs are riskier but the chances of getting a good or big gain are increased especially for an outside runner with good running, speed, instincts, etc. That's generally how it seems to work for me.

[QUOTE=FSUfan;160330]How long does it take to build a gameplan 5 mins, 1hr b4 each game? I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to this. I am horrible @ calling plays. If anyone has any tips on how to effectively call plays I am all ears. Someone should start a post on playcalling tips.[/QUOTE] Are you Jeff Bowden? ;) :D

I find I'm better at calling plays for my offense than I am at coaching my defense. I may not be fully taking advantage of all the information the game gives me about my opponents; I'm not sure. On the defensive Playcalling Options screen, directly below the list of plays that may be run from each defensive set, there is a line marked "Blitzers." I've never seen a player's name or position show up there. Is there a way to add a player to a blitz package that I'm not aware of? I'm coaching a team with a middle linebacker, William Gross, who is a 18/20 for Pass Rush Moves. I'd like to send him after the QB more often, but right now, I'm often forced to use a defensive alignment or coverage scheme I don't want in order to get Gross to attack the QB. Last season, Gross had one sack in 12 games. It's obvious that I'm under-utilizing his skills, but I can't find a good way to solve the problem. For example, the playbook contains a play called "Nickel-norm-Man-B6," and Gross is the "5" LB. I can't find a way to create Nickel-norm-Man-B5." I have to shift to a zone coverage or a dime package to send Gross to blitz...unless there's something I can do with that "Blitzers" line to modify the play.

Actually, I'm slowly learning the gameplan thing. Today I played a game NR OkSt (me) vs. #21 Iowa St. I coached it and I had over 200 yds rushing and 150 ygd passing now I'm getting an idea how to use my gameplan. So I'll keep chipping away on my season. I definetly know running is a strength in my offense. I have 2 running backs that are 3.5/4.0 (JR) and a 4.0/5.0 true freshman. I'm trying for 2 1,000 rushers. I also have a 5.0/5.0 (JR) QB who I hope won't leave early :)

what type of offense ? i have tried a few types with mixed results. i have tried the vertical passing game but not too consistent for me. i have also tried the option attack but just cant score enough touchdowns. Im just wondering if anyone has had that great 500+ yds per game success?

If you call all the plays, what effect does setting offensive and defensive philosophies and strategies before the game, have? Before games I try to set a few formations that aren't Green or Red just to incorporate something different, however, the OC and DC never suggest them during the game. Also, if I set a position to a % of snaps, they'll still play the whole game unless they get tired. Example, QB 50% for starter, he plays all game unless I take him out. I also use CPU subs during game. Am I doing this all wrong?

[QUOTE=osubuckeye;160501]i have tried a few types with mixed results. i have tried the vertical passing game but not too consistent for me. i have also tried the option attack but just cant score enough touchdowns. Im just wondering if anyone has had that great 500+ yds per game success?[/QUOTE] I used vertical passing this past season and ended #4 in total offense, went undefeated and won the national title. I usually let the AI call my plays, but watch the games and sometimes take control in critical situations. What I do for strategies and stuff is look at the different formations and how they stack up in passing and rushing. Then I divide the points between them. EG, formations which produce 5 yards per rush will get points as opposed to a formation which is only producing 2 yards. Same with passing. Seems to work. But then again, my team was loaded this season and poised to do great things, veteran line, and great talent at the skill positions.

I have used the Vertical Passing Offense with very good success. The yearly results: 2005-34ppg...516ypg...426 passing ypg...90 rushing ypg. NOTE: SOS #3! 2006-37ppg...504ypg...391 passing ypg...114 rushing ypg. NOTE: SOS #19! My OC wrt development...QB(VG)...RB(AVE)...WR/TE(AVE)...OL(AVE). Motivation at VG. I call my own plays 100% of the time.;) My play calling mix is about 66% pass and 34% run. Even with a star RB(81/84) I've never been able to get a strong running game to develop in this league and past ones under v1.1. Even facing a defensive line/LB that were moderately over matched by my OL, could never make it work on a consistent basis. Therefore, I set up my running game via the passing game...I run a lot of draws and counters (screens to my RB/TE, also)...good against a blitzing defense in pass packages. These plays probably account for 50% of my rush attempts. Very seldom will I run in a running situation. Short passes take center stage. I'll throw about 45-52 passes per game. My mix of passing is Shotgun(30%), Trips(25%), Quads(20%), Single back(15%), Pro Set(10%). I've found the AI does a pretty good job watching my tendencies. It's a high risk approach and I average about 1.5 INT's per game. I'll find late in the game that an INT occurs posssibly because I've thrown that same pass 4/5 times already. Hence I spread my play calls across all 5 of the formations. I "guess" that SP(35%), MP(50%) and LP(15%)make up my play calling...again have to keep the AI guessing. During the game, I keep a running spreadsheet of the number of passes thrown from a formation broken down by SP/MP/LP during a game. I probably have 3-4 favorite calls, but use them when it's important. Because I could never get a good running game going with v1.1, I set BBCF aside for 6 months. With v1.47 arriving on the scene, I fired up the old hard drive and started in again...this time with a Vertical Passing scheme.

I have found a nice way to get yards with a running qb, sometimes I wondering if it is taking advantage of the AI but I do it anyways. I got a good running QB at USF (dont have his attributes handy), but can run. Finished the season with 2400 passings yards and 1450 rushing yards 2nd team all american. I ran him 20-25 times a game with a top at 33 times. 90% of those carries were quads qb draw and trips qb sneak I dont know if it was just with him and my line but he either got -1 no gain 1 3 9 16 19 but the big runs made up for it. He never haad a run over 20 yards in that formation but he racked up major yardage. Should this happen or am I missing something. I tried not to keep calling those two plays, but they kept working Matt with

[QUOTE]Even with a star RB(81/84) I've never been able to get a strong running game to develop in this league and past ones under v1.1. Even facing a defensive line/LB that were moderately over matched by my OL, could never make it work on a consistent basis.[/QUOTE] You summed up my frustration in that one sentence. Has this ever been brought to Arlie's attention? [QUOTE]Therefore, I set up my running game via the passing game...I run a lot of draws and counters (screens to my RB/TE, also)...good against a blitzing defense in pass packages. These plays probably account for 50% of my rush attempts. Very seldom will I run in a running situation. Short passes take center stage.[/QUOTE] It seems that this is the only way to move the ball on this game especially when you're not loaded with blue-chip players. I've only finished in the Top 50 in offense a handful of times and everytime my averages were 300 yds per game passing and about 70 rushing. I don't want to have to always play the game this way. I'd like to feel that u can use the running philosophies as effectively as the pass philosophies in the game without having to have 4 All-American linemen and 2 blue-chip RB's on your roster. In my current season i have 3 green starting o-linemen, a green starting RB(with 3 decent backups), and both starting wideouts are green. My QB is a freshmen so i chose the Smash Mouth offense. Just played my first game of the season and ran for a total of 48 yards against Tennessee. I'm 20+ years in so UT is no longer a top school - just above average. The season before we went into Neyland stadium and only lossed by 2. Now both teams return virtually the same starters and we lose 33-0. I can't understand this game sometimes.

Archived