Game plans when calling plays

Totally agree with cbailey. Absolutely love this game and can't stop playing it. I've had it since the game came out a year ago. That being said, it is very frustrating because I can't seem to "figure" out how to run effectively. I am in year four with North Carolina and right now every starter on my offense is green. I have a balanced coordinator with great stats (i pay him 700,000 annually) and run a balanced offense and can't seem to do diddly squat in the running game. In no way will this ever make me stop playing, as I am sure I just need to play out the games more and more. But, if anyone has any hints to push me in the right direction. Like is it better to run a one back set or have a fullback plowing the way? Is it better to run out of pass formations? I realize that some "days" the offense is just not going to click and thats just the way it goes, but to consisentely get stuffed against all manner fo competiiton is frustrating.

As a follow up: It seems that the AI however, does NOT have a problem with the running game.:D IMHO a RB/FB's most important attribute "seems" to be Strength...Speed, Agility, Acceleration do not matter quite as much. My experience with a top RB(81/84) seems to go something like this with his rushing attempts, both inside and outside... no gain, +1,+2, -1, +3, +17, no gain, +1, -2, +5, +1, +8, no gain, +6, +1, +22, no gain, -2, +7, +2. 20 attempts, 71 yards...3.55ypc. This only applies to straight runs...no draws...against defenses set at Normal or Stop Pass. I never play out of an offensive formation that is "unfavorable" to my Vertical Passing game. My OL tends to be equal to or slightly strong than the front 7 guys on defense I face. The above example is like my Notre Dame RB rushing against the likes of Army/Navy. Sometimes the running game is a little stronger and vice versa. I am not going to try and run the ball down opponents throats when 75% of my runs are 3 yards or less...hoping only for a big play or two. I would expect over enough games my RB would get 100 ypg on something like 15-21 attempts when I play the service acadamies. After many games I seem to have no problem generating a succesful passing game...my playing calling on defense seems to be fine with the results as expected over three seasons or so. I would appreciate reading a post from someone who has had success with developing a good solid running game that can set up his passing game with and have a 50/50 or 60/40 play calling ratio.

i've had outstanding running teams. there's nothing wrong with the engine. Joseph Strong started as a true freshman and did this in his 3-year stint Year GP GS _Rush Yds _YPG __YPC Lng TD CR MH Fum FLost 2018 13 13 _299 _1215 _93.5 _4.1 32__ 5 _8 _7 __4 ___1 - - - 2019 13 13 _401 _2134 164.2 _5.3 72 _15 11 _2 __5 ___2 - - - 2020 13 13 _383 _2247 172.8 _5.9 68 _15_ 8 _3 __4 ___1 - - - Total 39 39 _1083 5596 143.5 _5.2 72 _35 27 12 _13 ___4 - - -

He's what i would consider a blue chip recruit and numbers like that are almost expected of him. We're talking about coaching a middle of the road program with, say, linemen in the Top 3-400 and a RB who's ranked in that next echelon of backs (25-40 at his position). As Dave stated these type of backs can churn out the yardage for the AI, but never when we're coaching them. I'm not expecting 1900 yds a season, but i'd take a fairly consistent 3-4 yards over getting stuffed for little or no gain on about 60% of my carries.

I have seen both side of the running game, I am now running 2 different dynasties. I am running one with OkSt (3 yrs into the program) and I have had consistant 1,000 yd rushers and I am now running one with Rutgers 3 games into my first year and my top rusher who is already on academic suspension has 34carries for 108yds 3.18 ypc, my STARTER now has 30 carries for 42yds 21 ypg :eek: The guy who is under him has 18 carries for 33yds. The Rutgers dynasty i play every single game myself, the OkSt dynasty I'm playing a multiplayer franchise where a buddy and I switch games ( he plays one and I sim, next week I play one he sims one. so on and so on) So really I don't what's up with rushing engine, Maybe it's the way you set up the teams. Maybe it's the play calling, I don't know, Maybe, Arlie could shed some light on this.

Archived