Problem Running The Ball

In my current game (patched up to v1.50), I have a pair of fairly decent running backs (13 and 11 out of 20 overall rating). My O-line is equally okay with a couple of solid run blockers. However, playing a West Coast Offence, I have found it awfully tough to run the ball. In most games against fellow Big 12 teams, the average per carry is below 3 yards, with my backs regularly stuffed by the opponent defence. When playing against weaker opponents, the running game may fare better but still relatively abysmal given the DLs and LBs my team is up against. Last season, I have had to pass the ball almost all the time. My QB, at the end of the season, completed almost 75% of his passes. I'd like to think with this kind of passing game, not many teams would stuff the line and dare the QB to beat them. Has anybody else experienced this same "problem"?

The AI does look at your personnel when gameplanning. It could be an instance where the AI is gameplanning heavy against the run when it plays you. You can also look at your strategies and gameplan (if you don't call plays). Try running from different formations or calling for more runs on passing downs in your gameplan.

[QUOTE=Arlie Rahn;162334]The AI does look at your personnel when gameplanning. It could be an instance where the AI is gameplanning heavy against the run when it plays you.[/QUOTE] I guess that explains why my QBs are having a field day in almost every game. I will try mixing it up a little and see where that leads me.

[QUOTE=Arlie Rahn;162334]The AI does look at your personnel when gameplanning. It could be an instance where the AI is gameplanning heavy against the run when it plays you. You can also look at your strategies and gameplan (if you don't call plays). Try running from different formations or calling for more runs on passing downs in your gameplan.[/QUOTE] But Arlie, I think you're weighing their game planning a little too much. When I have a 4-star O-line and a 5-star running back, my running back should not get stuffed for 1 and 2 yard games every single play unless I'm against a top defense. And I've also noticed my weaker fullback can run for 20 yard gains easily while my All-America candidate has trouble getting to 4. Look at the recent LSU-Arkansas game. LSU has the 2nd best run defense in the country. They spent all week preparing for Arkansas running attack. Arkansas still put up 2 100-yard rushers against them. I guess I'd like to see the defenses play more realistically. The pass/run prep ratio on defense seems to be skewed, and it allows 2-star linebackers to stuff All-Conference backs every single down.

[QUOTE=calvin;162498]But Arlie, I think you're weighing their game planning a little too much. When I have a 4-star O-line and a 5-star running back, my running back should not get stuffed for 1 and 2 yard games every single play unless I'm against a top defense. And I've also noticed my weaker fullback can run for 20 yard gains easily while my All-America candidate has trouble getting to 4. Look at the recent LSU-Arkansas game. LSU has the 2nd best run defense in the country. They spent all week preparing for Arkansas running attack. Arkansas still put up 2 100-yard rushers against them. I guess I'd like to see the defenses play more realistically. The pass/run prep ratio on defense seems to be skewed, and it allows 2-star linebackers to stuff All-Conference backs every single down.[/QUOTE] But look at my USF bulls... they went against a team that Averages 2 100 yard rushers and they got less than half of that :)

[QUOTE=calvin;162498]But Arlie, I think you're weighing their game planning a little too much. When I have a 4-star O-line and a 5-star running back, my running back should not get stuffed for 1 and 2 yard games every single play unless I'm against a top defense. And I've also noticed my weaker fullback can run for 20 yard gains easily while my All-America candidate has trouble getting to 4. Look at the recent LSU-Arkansas game. LSU has the 2nd best run defense in the country. They spent all week preparing for Arkansas running attack. Arkansas still put up 2 100-yard rushers against them. I guess I'd like to see the defenses play more realistically. The pass/run prep ratio on defense seems to be skewed, and it allows 2-star linebackers to stuff All-Conference backs every single down.[/QUOTE] I really don't see what you are discussing as happening in BBCF. I see some good back occassionally have bad games, but they do very well against poor opponents (regardless of gameplans). If the players are closer to each other, the gameplan seems to matter more. Just look at the top 20-30 RBs in any given season and you will see some very gaudy numbers against good/poor/average defenses - often independent of opposing gameplans. You may have some instances where players are overrated (ie, some players "bust" out) and they struggle. But large ability differences will almost always outrank a given gameplan for inferior competition.

Archived