Tom Waits

weirdo_man

So, what a coincidence that Undertaker and me had, because Tom Waits was on the Daily Show tonight. So basically, it seems like a lot of people actually know him or they just have a great audience there, because everyone was going nuts. So I'm definitely going to have to download more of his music. I'd buy some, but um, I'm poor and a college student and a wrestling student. So I will be downloading some of his music and if instead of albums I could get particular song suggestions I'd appreciate it :p Also, he is pretty much exactly how I pictured him, since I had never seen him before. Although I expected him to be a bit younger.

Wow, you're truly privileged to have seen Tom! He released three new albums last week (yeah I said three!) so I guess he's doing the promotional stuff. I tried to see him on his previous tour around Europe which was supposed to be his last, at least in Europe. Tickets sold in minutes though and they were selling on eBay for thousands of $'s and £'s. I hate it when people buy tickets just to make money from genuine fans. :mad: Tom is more well known than you might think. He's been making albums since the 70's and has a large following, but not had large commercial success like all the pop crap that's out there. Oooooooh song choices.... probably best to give you a few from each era so you can see the progression of his work. From the album [B]Closing Time[/B]: Ol' 55 Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You Martha (covered by Meat Loaf on Welcome To The Neighbourhood) From the album [B]Heart of Saturday Night[/B]: Looking for the heart of Saturday night Drunk on the moon The next album was my introduction to Tom Waits, be prepared for a change from the previous two. This is the album where Tom began to get in his stride in my opinion. From the album [B]Raindogs[/B]: Singapore Clap Hands Hang Down Your Head Rain Dogs Downtown Train From the album [B]Franks Wild Years[/B]: Hang On St. Christopher Innocent When You Dream I'll Be Gone Yesterday Is Here Cold Cold Ground From the album [B]The Bone Machine[/B]: Who Are You Little Rain Goin' Out West ;) I Don't Wanna Grow Up That Feel The next album was written as the soundtrack for a live stage production. Whilst others might disagree with me, I still think the album's great without ever seeing the play. From the album [B]The Black Rider[/B]: Just The Right Bullets Russian Dance From the album [B]Mule Variations[/B]: Big In Japan Hold On House Where Nobody Lives Cold Water Come On Up To The House From the album [B]Blood Money[/B]: Misery Is The River Of The World Coney Island Baby All the World Is Green God's Away On Business Lullaby Starving In The Belly Of A Whale A Good Man From the album [B]Real Gone[/B]: Hoist That Rag Make It Rain Day After Tomorrow I think that should be enough for your to get your teeth into!! I'd advise that you try and follow those in order as the earlier stuff is more accessible to begin with. EDIT - If you only listen to a few from the above i'd go for: Ol' 55 Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You Looking for the heart of Saturday night Drunk on the moon Hang Down Your Head ***** Rain Dogs Downtown Train ***** Yesterday Is Here ***** Hold On ***** Who Are You Goin' Out West ***** I Don't Wanna Grow Up Cold Water ***** Come On Up To The House ***** Coney Island Baby Make It Rain ***** Heh, even my shorter list is quite long! I've tried to highlight the best of the short list but it's not easy.... :D I need to listen to some Tom now....

Annoyingly we can't get Letterman in the UK otherwise i'd have loved to see the interview. :( I posted my message at 04:57am and kept editing it right up until 09:03am after listening to his albums again! It's now 04:00pm and i'm still listening to Tom.... 9 hours of Tom Waits.... great. :D Here's a page containing a few mp3's of his songs, all from his recent albums: [url]http://www.anti.com/media.php?id=1[/url] "Road To Peace" from his new album "Orphans" is particularly great. There's also links to "Hold On" (which even made it onto my short list) and also "How's It Going To End" which I forgot to put down. Entirely up to you if you listen to them before hearing his earlier stuff. ***Note to any admin staff/moderators watching: i'm not doing anything illegal or promoting piracy, that link is to Tom Waits' record label's page where they've offered the links for free.

Archived