When the AI wants to win...

He wins every time he wants to. I'm tired of losing so many games on the last drive. I'll be up by 3 and the AI will drive down the field 80 yards at 5 to 7 yard gains without fail. Every play works. I can't stop any play for less than 5 yards. It's not very fun. I've lost 4 games this season this way, and 8 last season.

I have found zones to be very effective. It depends on the strenghts/weaknesses of your team and the opposition you are up against. Are you giving up big plays...or are teams methodically moving down the field? Are you checking the game log as you go...are your players missing tackles, out of position or allowing big plays? Are your opponents making great catches, great passes? Are you calling the plays...or is your DC? Are you blitzing a lot and getting burned...or are you not blitzing and giving the QB ample time to throw? Is it possible you are "to" predictable during the course of the entire game in your play calling...the AI seems to pick up pretty well and adjust to it. I've lost two games this year in the last two minutes...missed a 23 yard FG ( came up short!!!)...was driving the ball down the field, fumbled the ball and was returned by the defensive player ( DT no less!!!) for a TD. I too cursed the AI.

[QUOTE=Dave Hansen;163244]Is it possible you are "to" predictable during the course of the entire game in your play calling...the AI seems to pick up pretty well and adjust to it.[/QUOTE] This is actually one of the greatest strenghts of this game. A learning AI that actually works :)

Yeah, I had always thought that there were some games where "The fix was in" but once I started doing a bit more studying of what I did in playcalling (I call my own) and where my strengths and weaknesses were, I find that while the AI makes adjustments (a very good thing), the right playcalling and exploitation of the other teams weaknesses can get you wins when you should get them. The game is fantastic.

Uh, no .. the fix is definitely in occasionally. I'm Wake Forest playing N.C. State at home. We're both 4-2 , but unranked. I'm leading 23-16 with about 1:20 on the clock. First down i gain 4 on a run up the middle. Instead of bein predictable and calling another run play i call the playaction pass from the I Formation because the first read on that play is the FB and my FB has a hands rating of 92. The A.I. calls a Nickel Normal play where [B]BOTH[/B] safeties blitz. I figure i made the right call and worse case scenario he drops the pass. Nope. Somehow one the safeties that blitzed made it back downfield 20 yards to pick the pass off and then returns it another 10 yards setting them up in sweet field position. Of course they drive the short field and score. Not to mention they were an Option team with an average QB and average pass catching WR's. I lose 24-23.

I once lost a game with my mostly yellow/green navy team in the fourth year to a team that had one yellow player, the center, and all red/orange after that, and ended up going 2-10. I outgained them ~600-400 but couldn't overcome 4 ints by my blue POY quarterback and 7 fumbles (5 lost) along with having a TD wiped out on a holding penalty.

I mean seriously what is the point of recruiting so -called good linemen and so-called good running backs season after season after season after season only to end up with the same results. NO running game. NONE. I refuse to believe i'm recruiting poor run blocking linemen every year. My current line has 4 outta 5 starters who rate 75 or higher in run blocking. My three RB's are rated 88, 79 and 73, respectively. What's the point of mixing up the kinds of runs , formation and what down u call them if the "defense was anticipating the play" 8 out of 10 times. But on the flip side the A.I. doesn't have to mix up what they do. They can run the same frickin 8 plays all game long and put up 30 points on 400 yards of offense. Well some have responded " pay attention to what works". I can guarantee if i get a good gain out of a play the next few times that play or play that is like it is gonna get stuffed because of so-called " A.I. adjusting to the play calling". I read a post where one guy said he uses zones when he thinks the A.I. will run and Man when he thinks they will pass. Lately i've noticed the A.I. uses this EXACT same theory when on defense and it works like a charm. EVERYTIME i run they are in zone and 90% of the time i throw they are in man. It's unfair. I hope the pro game is not derived from this engine or e're gonna run into the same problems.

Ok I have to share my story. I had the ball on the AI's 3 yard line with :05 seconds to go, 4th down, and down by 5. I am using Northern Illinois and have superstar RB Garrett Wolfe in the backfield. So I decide to go for it with a run behind by LG (my best blocker) and the results...gain of [b]2[/b] and I end up losing because I came up 1 yard short with the best RB in football!!!! Blast the AI!!!!

Ah...the joys of a good passing game. I got away from running the ball:mad: in like situations. 95% of the time I use a SP. I espically like calling the SP from the double TE formation which is a screen to the #1 TE while inside the opponents 5. I save that play and call it at the most twice a game in key situations so the AI doesn't adjust. Also to set it up, I'll run from that formation a couple of times to try and set up the AI for the screen later in the game. Pretty decent success rate.

For me, unfortunately, the running game is definitely the biggest issue in an otherwise solid game. I have read many suggestions such as running the ball from passing formations. Even if that works, it doesn't for me in most cases, it still wildly deviates from the reality the game is attempting to simulate. Take Arkansas this year, they are perhaps the most one-dimensional team in terms of offence as their best QB is probably the RB. Until Florida finally stopped their running game in SEC Championship, many others had tried and failed, including LSU and not to mention lesser teams such as Utah State. If you have solid O-line and running backs and you make it a point to run the ball, I simply can't imagine how you can be limited to below 100 ypg total which I have seen happening all too often.

[QUOTE=joskai;167901]For me, unfortunately, the running game is definitely the biggest issue in an otherwise solid game. I have read many suggestions such as running the ball from passing formations. Even if that works, it doesn't for me in most cases, it still wildly deviates from the reality the game is attempting to simulate. Take Arkansas this year, they are perhaps the most one-dimensional team in terms of offence as their best QB is probably the RB. Until Florida finally stopped their running game in SEC Championship, many others had tried and failed, including LSU and not to mention lesser teams such as Utah State. If you have solid O-line and running backs and you make it a point to run the ball, I simply can't imagine how you can be limited to below 100 ypg total which I have seen happening all too often.[/QUOTE] I have to agree with this 100%. It can be very difficult to get over 100 ypg on a regular basis. To get over 100 ypg you basically have to hope your RB gets lucky and breaks a big run because you just are not able to get sustained 4-5 yard runs. Perhaps the next version will address this issue or maybe it is something that can not be programmed at this point. * Note that the running "issues" only apply to playing the game out. If you sim the game I find that running is not a problem. I even have seen an RB go over 2,000 yards in a season. The problem is only when playing the games out. *

I actually find the running game very realistic (except for the 3rd and short issue). If I play with a decent team (top 40), I can usually average 80 yards a game, which is realistic. If I'm a good team with a good running back, I can easily get 100 yards or over...unless I'm going up against a good defense.

[QUOTE=orton1227;167958]I actually find the running game very realistic (except for the 3rd and short issue). If I play with a decent team (top 40), I can usually average 80 yards a game, which is realistic. If I'm a good team with a good running back, I can easily get 100 yards or over...unless I'm going up against a good defense.[/QUOTE] Any tips for the rest of us who seem to be owned by the AI when it comes to running?

I don't know. I just look at the strength of my RB (inside or outside), and look at FB rating (is he a good blocker? if not, then I stick with one-back formations), and look at the O-line (if my LT is a 5.0, then I run there 3 times as much as anywhere else). I also mix it up a ton. I don't ever call the same play in a half. All this to say, I can run very well, but I usually have seasons that are below expectations. So I'm good at running, but very little else.

My RB usually don't break the 100 yard mark. But my offensive coordinator favors the vertical passing game and my team is in the Top 25 in passing. As for rushing, I am a cellar dweller. So I am sure the OC is a contributing factor. I do get annoyed when the AI seems to get just enough yardage for the first down continually as they march down field for the score. It doesn't happen all the time. I am in my first season so I won't pass judgement yet. I just curse my computer and have managed to comeback each time so far.

[QUOTE=joskai;167901]For me, unfortunately, the running game is definitely the biggest issue in an otherwise solid game.[/QUOTE] Thank you! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who finds the in-game running way out of whack. Year-in, year-out, I have 4-star/5-star OL and 5-star RBs, and if I sim the games, they win Doak Walker awards (1600+ yds) up the wazoo... But every time I DON'T sim and try to do in-game play-calling, Army and Southern Methodist (2-star defensives all-around) can consistently stop my best back for 1- and 2-yard gains. I can see it happening once, but it's frustrating having a solid 4-star O-line and a returning Doak Walker award winner who's 12 runs for 18 yards at the end of the quarter. It's even more frustrating when my 3-star full back runs for 25 on his first run, and my quarterback can throw for 200 yards a half. It doesn't matter which back is back there. I've had power runners, small scat backs, balanced guys...they always get stuffed for 2-yard gains regardless of formation, down, offense, etc. It's a frustrating low-point on an otherwise oustanding game, and it's entirely unrealistic.

[QUOTE=calvin;168976]Thank you! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who finds the in-game running way out of whack. Year-in, year-out, I have 4-star/5-star OL and 5-star RBs, and if I sim the games, they win Doak Walker awards (1600+ yds) up the wazoo... But every time I DON'T sim and try to do in-game play-calling, Army and Southern Methodist (2-star defensives all-around) can consistently stop my best back for 1- and 2-yard gains. I can see it happening once, but it's frustrating having a solid 4-star O-line and a returning Doak Walker award winner who's 12 runs for 18 yards at the end of the quarter. It's even more frustrating when my 3-star full back runs for 25 on his first run, and my quarterback can throw for 200 yards a half. It doesn't matter which back is back there. I've had power runners, small scat backs, balanced guys...they always get stuffed for 2-yard gains regardless of formation, down, offense, etc. It's a frustrating low-point on an otherwise oustanding game, and it's entirely unrealistic.[/QUOTE] I have had the exact same experience. It is probably just a programming issue that comes out when the user plays the games. In an attempt to make the AI "tougher", there is a loss of realism and gameplay becomes very unbalanced. As you mentioned you can throw for 200 yards in a half but can't run for more than 10 yards with a top RB and OL combo. Perhaps future versions will address this issue. Otherwise good game overall. I have started just simming all of my games unless I am using a pass heavy team.

First I want to say that this game is a huge advancement since the TPF days. I loved TPF and once I downloaded this demo, I bought the retail version an hour later. Now I'm finding myself in the same boat as you guys haha. I up as Miami (Da U) and scheduled my first game against Florida Atlantic. Everything was cool for the first 3 quarters. I was winning 27-7 and then out of nowhere here comes Atlantic...scores a td on a sustained drive(fine by me). Kickoff and I fumble - they return it for a touchdown. Kickoff and I go 3 and out. Next possession they go one play for a td. Game ends after I can't do anything with my last drive. I lose 35-27. I know Miami was down this year in real life and all but to have Florida Atlantic explode like that was interesting to say the least. Also - same problem as you guys. My star RB 8/8 (i use the 1-10 scale) had 46 yards on 19 carries. All whining aside though, I love this game even more than TPF.

Archived