Playoffs?

I am not sure what is in the works but I would like to see the playoff system be editable. Many people have varying opinions on what the best playoff system would be, wheter it be 4,8,12 or 16 teams. In my opinion it would be 12 but thats just me. Therefore I would like to see the playoff scenarios interchangable much like the playoff format in OOTP.

32 is way too many. Even with 16 you have to play 4 games to win it all. With 12 the top 4 teams get a bye and the other 8 play, then you are down to 8 after the first round. That would be the best in my opinion, but I believe I saw one of Arlie's responses that it would be 4,8 or 16. I think 4 is too few because if you have 3 undefeated teams how do ypu pick amongst the one loss teams? Or if there is one undefeated again how do you pick the best one loss teams? With a 12 team scenario you are getting into teams with 2 losses, and you would never have to worry about an undefeated mid-major rated 7th and not getting a chance to play for the title.

[QUOTE=AZJAZ]With 12 the top 4 teams get a bye and the other 8 play, then you are down to 8 after the first round.[/QUOTE] That's how it's set up in the NFL. But even in that system, unless you completely dominate every game in the regular season, your team has a chance of having to play four games to win it all.

Well for all I care they could keep the BCS system to seed the playoffs. Take the top 8 and play 3 games to win it. I dont think there is much a team ranked 17th could say or maybe even a team ranked 9th, because if you are ranked 9th in the BCS you more than likely had at least 2 losses unless you are a mid major. I hope the playoff format in changeable between 4,8 or 16 teams. I hope for 12 but I believe Arlie said 4,8 or 16. In a 12 team format here is what we would have had, and in my opinion is that the beauty of a 12 team system is that the top 4 are rewarded with a free pass and a week of rest in the 1st round. [B]2004[/B] 1st Round Byes 1. USC 2. Oklahoma 3. Auburn 4. Texas 5. California 12. Iowa 6. Utah 11. LSU 7. Georgia 10. Lousville 8. Virginia Tech 9. Boise State The problem here with a 8 team system is Boise State. They didnt lose yet they would be shut out. With a 12 team system you will never ever ever have an undefeated team ranked 13th. I dont care if it is UTEP. They will never be ranked 13th. [B]2003[/B] 1st Round Byes 1. Oklahoma 2. LSU 3. USC 4. Michigan 5. Ohio State 12. Georgia 6. Texas 11. Miami (OH) 7. Florida State 10. Kansas State 8. Tennessee 9. Miami (FL) [B]2002[/B] 1st Round Byes 1. Miami 2. Ohio State 3. Georgia 4. USC 5. Iowa 12. Penn State 6. Washington State 11. Michigan 7. Oklahoma 10. Texas 8. Kansas State 9. Notre Dame [B]2001[/B] 1st Round Byes 1. Miami 2. Nebraska 3. Colorado 4. Oregon 5. Florida 12. Washington State 6. Tennessee 11. Oklahoma 7. Texas 10. Maryland 8. Illinois 9. Stanford [B]2000[/B] 1st Round Byes 1. Oklahoma 2. Florida State 3. Miami 4. Washington 5. Virginia Tech 12. Texas 6. Oregon State 11. Notre Dame (Not again :() 7. Florida 10. Oregon 8. Nebraska 9. Kansas State [B]1999[/B] 1st Round Byes 1. Florida State 2. Virginia Tech 3. Nebraska 4. Alabama 5. Tennessee 12. Marshall 6. Kansas State 11. Penn State 7. Wisconsin 10. Florida 8. Michigan 9. Michigan State [B]1998[/B] 1st Round Byes 1. Tennessee 2. Florida State 3. Kansas State 4. Ohio State 5. UCLA 12. Virgina 6. Texas A&M 11. Nebraska 7. Arizona 10. Tulane 8. Florida 9. Wisconsin Now I dont know about you, but if you churn the memory a little and think about some of these matchups it would almost bring tears to your eyes thinking about all the great football we have been robbed of!!!!

I had intended to start another thread with this post, but will all of the bowl games that are currently being played (as listed [URL=http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bowls.htm]here,[/URL] complete with the participating conferences, though I don't remember which place the teams finished in their respective conferences) be included?

[QUOTE=MrHaroldG]I had intended to start another thread with this post, but will all of the bowl games that are currently being played (as listed [URL=http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bowls.htm]here,[/URL] complete with the participating conferences, though I don't remember which place the teams finished in their respective conferences) be included?[/QUOTE] This list is no longer accurate, the NCAA recently certified next year's bowl games. The Silicon Valley Classic was not renewed... in it's place a second game in San Diego will be played. (The Poinsettia Bowl Mountain West vs. an At Large team) The NCAA's official list for 2005-06 is here: [url]http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/postseason_football/contacts[/url] Keep in mind that some of the alignments are still in the process of being changed.

• 4 weeks later...
If there is the option to do a playoff system instead of Bowls, I don't think the statistics should be included in player's stats. A case in point, in TCY, a team that made it to the finals had 4 extra games to "pad" their stats. For a 8-3 team with a passing offense that puts up 500 yards a game, that's an additional 2000 yards on a qb's stats, which would make him a hiesman over a guy who's team missed the playoffs with a 8-3 record. Imagine if the NFL did this? It would severely alter the record books for season and career records.

Archived