Question About Performance

im getting a new PC and im curious about the difference in speed between these 2 specs... can someone estimate how long it would take to sim a day with the default database with these specs a PC with 3.2 GHZ P4, and 1GB RAM or a PC with 3.2 GHZ P4, and 2 GB RAM pretty much i wanna know how much of a difference the second GB of RAM would make cuz its a hefty amount more money

[QUOTE=RepoMantaur;186086]pretty much i wanna know how much of a difference the second GB of RAM would make cuz its a hefty amount more money[/QUOTE] RAM is [B]ALWAYS[/B] the better choice over just processor speed, if money is an object. Most games don't tax even old processors very much. But RAM makes ALL games play better. The difference between 1 and 2 gigs of RAM, performance wise, doesn't really become obvious until/unless you're playing say, an online game of some kind. Then you'll notice a huge drop in "zoning times" (i.e. the time it takes to load new areas). Downgrade to a 3.0 GHz processor if you have to. Dollar for dollar, for gaming, upgrading your RAM offers far more value than upgrading your processor. I have a computer with an Athlon XP 2600+ running at 2.2 GHz (slightly overclocked) that can play today's graphics intensive games with few issues (EverQuest 2, Oblivion, etc). The key is, it has 4 gigs of RAM in it so that even with a 4 year old video card (GeForce FX 5700LE), I still don't take much of a hit. It eats GDS's games for breakfast, performance wise (which is why I pulled the 6800 out of it and put the 5700LE back in it). That computer was built in late 2003 and it can still hang with today's games (cost $804 to build too, which aint too shabby ;) ).

Does either of those PC's make a difference? I'm not really an expert, but the only think I assume that can improve is loading times right? Loading times aren't that long so it's not worth the money imo unless you're planning on using it for multiple purposes, which would probably be the case. :) On the loading times, I found that after 5+ hours of consecutive play the loading times between booking screens (when accessing roster) increase significantly (so no increase on day-cycling). Is this because of some back-up that's created, or because I have a slow pc (2Ghz, +-750mbRAM)? As soon as I reboot the system, I'm good to go for a few hours.

[QUOTE=Blackman;186114]Does either of those PC's make a difference? I'm not really an expert, but the only think I assume that can improve is loading times right? Loading times aren't that long so it's not worth the money imo unless you're planning on using it for multiple purposes, which would probably be the case. :) On the loading times, I found that after 5+ hours of consecutive play the loading times between booking screens (when accessing roster) increase significantly (so no increase on day-cycling). Is this because of some back-up that's created, or because I have a slow pc (2Ghz, +-750mbRAM)? As soon as I reboot the system, I'm good to go for a few hours.[/QUOTE] That's just it. If all you're playing is text based games, then neither computer is "worth the money" because you don't need the extra power they offer. But, if you play ANY other game or plan to at any point during your computer's life, you'll feel the pain. And your issue may have to do with your RAM as well. I've left the game on overnight even and I've never seen those issues (on boxes with 3-4 gigs of RAM). I do have that issue from time to time on my laptop but it only has 1 gig so I kinda expect that. And yes, the game does make backups (as evinced by the 'backup' folder in each savegame) but I dunno if that would be the cause. But what I always tell people who game regularly is, if you're in the market for a new computer, don't skimp on the RAM. It's the one area where you truly get the most value by maximizing.

Should my RAM be overloaded then? It's just the part where you book events, and need to select the workers to participate in matches. The slowdown (of a second or two really) seems not worth it, but you'll understand it makes the booking of an event real slow. :)

[QUOTE=Blackman;186114]Does either of those PC's make a difference? I'm not really an expert, but the only think I assume that can improve is loading times right? Loading times aren't that long so it's not worth the money imo unless you're planning on using it for multiple purposes, which would probably be the case. :) On the loading times, I found that after 5+ hours of consecutive play the loading times between booking screens (when accessing roster) increase significantly (so no increase on day-cycling). Is this because of some back-up that's created, or because I have a slow pc (2Ghz, +-750mbRAM)? As soon as I reboot the system, I'm good to go for a few hours.[/QUOTE] im thinking of getting the extra ram for other games, but i was wondering if it would have a noticable effect on games like this also

Archived