Through the Looking Glass (DOTT Watcher's Journal)

Just like Adam's own Journal, this diary will take a passive look at D. Boon's Ghost's newest incarnation of the Death of the Territories Mod. Unlike Adam's diary, I will be taking a slower, more detailed pace since there are more events taking place during each month. Though it probably won't happen I am hoping to play long enough to see guys like Steve Austin and Triple H enter into the business. So without further stalling, on with the show...

[QUOTE=foolinc;192746]Just like Adam's own Journal, this diary will take a passive look at D. Boon's Ghost's newest incarnation of the Death of the Territories Mod. Unlike Adam's diary, I will be taking a slower, more detailed pace since there are more events taking place during each month. Though it probably won't happen I am hoping to play long enough to see guys like Steve Austin and Triple H enter into the business. So without further stalling, on with the show...[/QUOTE] Nice idea:-)

[b]April, Week 1[/b] - Kicking off the month, the team of Roddy Piper and Bob Orton Jr. took home the first ever Crockett Cup as they defeated the team of Ricky Steamboat and Jay Youngblood in the finals. [code] [b]Crockett Cup 1983[/b] Piper/Orton Jr. \ Slater/OM Gang / Piper/Orton Jr. \ Dory/Terry Funk \ } Piper/Orton \ Leduc/Valentine / Dory/Terry Funk / \ Assasin/McDaniel \ } Piper/Orton Jr. Kabuki/Dragon / Assasin/McDaniel\ / Ricky/Youngblood \ } Ricky/Youngblood/ Valiant/McGraw / Ricky/Youngblood/ [/code] - After a solid show in which Kamala defeated Buddy Landell, Houston Championship Wrestling becomes a Regional promotion. - On the same card, Kevin Sullivan defeats Scott McGhee for the Flordia Heavyweight title, Don Kent takes the vacant Flordia TV title after beating Bob Roop, and Bobby Duncum wins the Flordia Bahamas title after pinning Rufus R. Jones - Becoming the 4th Champion Carnival winner not named Baba, Bruiser Brody pinned Terry Funk in the finals to take the title. [code] [b]Champion Carnival 1983[/b] Terry Funk \ Rocky Hata / Terry Funk \ Harley Race \ } Terry Funk \ Mighty Inoue / Harley Race / \ Umanosuke Ueda\ } Bruiser Brody Mistsuo Momota/ Umanosuke Ueda\ / Bruiser Brody \ } Bruiser Brody/ Atsushi Onita / Bruiser Brody / [/code] - Rufus Jones & Mike Rotundo grab the new Mid-Atlantic Tag Titles in a match against Kiniski and Pvt. Nelson. - Boon did a great job making this mod because the first AWA TV champ is none other than Greg Gaugne! - Tiger Mask wins the WWF Junior Heavyweight title after besting Dynamite Kid on NJPW World Pro Wrestling show. - In a match for the NWA Canadian Heavyweight Championship, Raymond Rougeau took down the reigning champion, Angelo Mosca. - Roy Shire becomes the new booker for HCW. - In the "Huh" file, Bellomo went double DQ with Frankie Williams at WWF In Your Neighborhood while the Invaders faced each other in a tag match. - The Junkyard Dog picks up his third North American Heavyweight championship after pinning Ted DiBiase for the vacant title. - Vince starts his power grab, signing JYD, Jesse Ventura, and Hulk Hogan to PPA deals. -Brusier Brody picks up some more when he and his partner Abdullah the Butcher (which was given the name Sweet Pain) take the WWC World Tag titles from Carlos Colon & Pedro Morales. - Another one for the "huh" file, Moondog Rex went over Jerry Lawler. - GCW crowns to new champions has The Iron Shiek wins the National TV title and the new team of The Living Legend and Stan Hansen take home the National Tag Titles. - SECW rises to Regional - WWF keeps adding talent, this time signing Roddy Piper and Ricky Steamboat. - Dynamite Kid fails a Steroid Test - "Huh file" entry number three......the team of Ray Stevens and Sgt. Slaughter defeated in the main event Andre the Giant and.....Hulk Hogan. I wonder which one of those two saw the lights? :p [i]Comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated![/i]

[b]April 1983, Week 2[/b] - The TEW tag team generator spits out the team of Buddy Landell and Iron Mike Sharpe. The team, now named Brain Damage, also picked up HCW's vacant World Tag Titles against Arts Crews and Sicoledlico. On the same card the masked Mr. Olympia became the HCW TV champ. - Dick Slater and Mike Graham aren't friends anymore. - In a major DOH momment, the WWF had the team of Johnny Rodz and Jose Luis Rivera defeat Superstar Graham and George Steele in the main event. The match before it? Backlund turning back Ray Stevens in a classic for the WWF Heavyweight title. - NJPW crowned a new International Heavyweight champion when Yoshiaki Fujiwara beat the ex-champion, Riki Choshu. - It looks like the AWA is testing out Greg Gauge as a mainevent as he just lost to Bockwinkel in a World title shot. [b]April 1983, Week 3[/b] - It took three weeks, but Houston Championship Wrestling finally has its International Champion. Taking home the title was none other than Kamala The Ugandan Giant after taking down The Junkyard Dog. - For another week, Nick gets to beat the crap out of Greg Gauge in a championship match. - David Von Erich defeated Jimmy Garvin for the WCCW Texas Heavyweight title. - David wasn't the only new champion as Jule Strongbow also took home some hardware when he beat Sheik Abdullah Ali Hassan for the PNW Heavyweight title. - This week the WWF smartened up and put Backlund/Stevens as the main event of the night for a much better result. - In "a huge surprise" Baba is once again the PWF Heavyweight champion, this time taking it from Harley Race. - It seems like there is a quota on how many Von Erichs can hold hold at a time as Kevin loses his American Heavyweight title to The Great Kabuki. - Just like in 2005, Bob Backlund signs with MLW. Some things never change. ^_^ - We have our first B rated match on the game! Wahoo McDaniel got the better of Nick Bockwinkel in a non-title match during the AWA's All-Star Wrestling main event. - Valentine fails a steroid test, and he was doing so well. - It looks like this week was the week for non-title victories as the team of Pipper and Steamboat defeated the WWF tag team champion, The Wild Samoans. [b]April 1983, Week 4[/b] - Butch Reed and Mr. Olympia take the HCW tag titles from Brain Damage. - Remember when I said we had our first B rated match? Well, the first B+ match finally happened when Stan Hansen pinned Terry Funk in a AJPW ring. - In the words of Edge and Chistian, Flair and Rhodes (known as the "Death Squad") just got double gold, taking the vacant NWA World Tag titles. - Not to be outdone, Ole Anderson defeated Larry Zbyszko for the National Heavyweight belt. - Joining the AWA and ALPW, Central States Wrestling gets a Match of the Year canidate when Manny Fernandez defending his CS Heavyweight belt against the legendary Harly Race. - Andre the Giant has been sidelined for a month with a concussion. - Ricky Romero (father to Jay, Mark, and Chris Youngblood) announces his retirement from the ring. - In a shocking turn of events Jimmy Snuka died after ODing....RIP Superfly.

[b]May 1983[/b] [i]Week 1[/i] - Southwest Championship Wrestling and Stampede Wrestling both loose their tv slots. - In a disappointing MSG League event, Abdullah the Butcher took home the silverware after besting Fujiwara in the finals. [code] [b]MSG League 1983[/b] Fujiwara \ Ryuma Go / Fujiwara \ Takada \ } Fujiwara\ Kurisu / Takada / \ Abdullah \ } Abdullah the Butcher Akira Mseda / Abdullah \ / M. Superstar\ } Abdullah/ Teranishi / Masked Superstar/ [/code] - AJPW's Puroresu Chukei loses its TV slot. - CWF, PNW, and CSTATE all get new tv shows while HCW and MLW lose their slots. - All Japan Women's Pro Wrestling rises to Regional. - More new tv shows go on the air as MACW, GCW, AGPW, and IWA sign TV deals. - Unfortunatly, NJPW loses World Pro Wrestling. - It's a good thing GCW got a new show because Georgia Championship Wrestling just lost it's slot. - CWA gets a new show too. - Hulkamania could be starting up sooner than later. Hogan didn't win the title yet, but he did go Double DQ with Backlund in the mainevnt on Championship Wrestling. [i]Week 2[/i] - The Fink re-signs with the WWF. - Jos Leduc defeats Kevin Sullivan for the Flordia Heavyweight title after eight sucessful defenses. - The day after a news report says that Leduc might not be re-signing with CWF. Good job Dusty! - In a somewhat shocking event, Mr. Saito and Jerry Blackwell took the titles from the Highflyers during the Road Tour. I hope this doesn't mean Greg is going to be going singles full time... - MACW is starting to get really good. Their last In Your Town featured a fantastic match between Ric Flair and Terry Funk for the NWA World Heavyweight title. Flair retained. - ICW and WWA lose their tv slots. - It looks like Backlund is about to lose his Heavyweight title very soon. Muraco just beat him for the IC belt. [i]Week 3[/i] - Good new, Paul Orndoff decides to stay with GCW and resigns. - Look who lost his title. That's right it's the greedy Jos Leduc! Taking the gold off him was none other than Barry Windham. - In a massive dissapoint to all fans everywhere, the man who came up with Arquette winning the title, Tony Schiavone, re-sign with MACW. - My worst fears are confirmed. Greg Gagne is back in the main event, losing to Blockwinkel for the AWA World title. - I might be wrong about Backlund. - Jos Deduc is starting to piss me off. After taking the title from Sullivan in CWF, he is ruining MACW main events by bringing down the match rating in a match against Flair. At least he didn't win. - Dusty must be getting advice from a very young Vince Russo because in in two weeks, the Flordia Heavyweight title has changed hand three times. Beating Windham in his first title defence was Mark Lewin. - Stan Hansen turned down an offer from GCW. - King Kong Boundy re-signs with MSW. [i]Week 4[/i] - MACW gets some bad news, apparently Terry Funk turned down a contract. - Jose Leduc turns down a contract from MACW. I wonder if he wants to wrestle in the American Indy show... - It looks like MSW isn't going to re-sign Dick Murdoch. - In a very sad momment, Wrestling at the Chase ends it run. WWC's tv show also goes off the air. - Ray Stevens re-signs with the WWF. - Andre is back! - I don't know what they have over Dusty, but Leduc and Lewin just took the Tag Titles. - Wahoo McDaniels announces his retirement from wrestling.

About your Main Event after the Backlund/Stevens match.....it was common practice in the 80's to have a match after the Main Event, even on PPV's. They just wouldn't air them on television. I remember a time or two a PPV would go short and they'd have that match televised after the Main Event and call it the added bonus match or something. This helped people file out of the arena better as some would stick around and watch the bonus matchups.

[b]June 1983[/b] [i]Week 1[/i] - NJPW is on the verge of losing Abdullah the Butcher. - In a strong IWGP League tourny, Tatsumi Fujinami bested three other men to become this year's champion. [code] [b]IWGP League 1983[/b] Fujiwara \ Kimura / Fujiwara\ Fujinami \ } Fujinami\ Hamaguchi/ Fujinami/ \ Maeda \ } Tatsumi Fujinami Davey Boy/ Maeda \ / Abdullah \ } Maeda / Kobayashi/ Abdullah/ [/code] - MACW finally got the Mid-Altantic title off of the highly overqualified Dory Funk, Jr. The new Mid-Atlantic champ is everyone's favorite private....Jim Nelson (better known to us as Boris Zhukov). - GCW fans can relax as Road Warrior Animal re-signs with the company. - Sabu the Wildman defeated Jesse Barr for the Mid-America Heavyweight title after 6 defences. - I am loving this week's WWF Championship. Not only did they continue the intense Backlund/Muraco fued, but Ricky Steamboat got a victory over Hulk Hogan. [i]Week 2[/i] - The only AI fued better than Backlund/Muraco? Flair/Funk. They put on another B+ match. - Since Jos Deduc left CWF, the Flordia Tag Team title were vacated, leaving Deduc partner's Mark Lewin with only one title (that he barely defends). Well they didn't last long. Lewin is once again Flordia Tag Team champions, this time with someone with a bit more stability....Dusty Rhodes. - Another one for the "huh" file, Austin Idol and Moondog Rex are now a team. Even weirder, they are going under the name Pin Point. [i]Week 3[/i] - After a boring week, I get a very nice surprise to kick off the week. MACW has risen to Cult! - Not to be outdone, AWA also rises to Cult. - In a momment that will piss off many, Terry Gordy has left WCCW because of his freelancer nature. - Wasting no time to give his childern more belts, David, Kerry, and Kevin have picked up the WCCW Six Man title. - This Freelancer stuff is pissing me off, Terry Funk leaves MACW.... ;( - On a brighter note, Hector Guerroro is SWCW's newest Southwest Junior Heavyweight champion! - David Sammartino re-signed with GCW. A waitress at a nearby cafe correctly commented, "Who cares?" - Freelancer, Jos Leduc leaves MACW. I rejoice! [i]Week 4[/i] - Adrian Adonis and George Scott are the newest members of the AWA. - CWF is one unlucky company. Mark Lewin just turned down a contract extension. Awesome. - In the biggest news of the game so far. The AWA has signed WWF Champion Bob Backlund and head referee Dick Woehrle. - It didn't take long for the WWF Championship to change hands. Say hello to the new WWF champion, The Masked Superstar! - AWA is giving the royal treatment to Backlund. He didn't win the AWA World title, but he get a win in the mainevent of the last TV event against David Schultz. - Jay Youngblood gets some love from MACW getting the US Heavyweight title after pinning reigning champion Greg the Hammer Valentine. - The CWF Flordia championship changed hands yet again. Blackjack Mulligan becomes the new champion after besting Mark Lewin. - Rick Martel is the new IWA Internation Heavyweight champion. Good for him. - Got to love the AI sometimes. In Backlund's last match he lost to the man he was fueding with, Don Muraco. - The Fabulous Moolah has announced her retirement. - Black Bart switches from a Regular Wrestler to a Brawler.

[b]July 1983[/b] [i]Week 1[/i] - On the day Backlund offically leaves the WWF, the AWA threw him a bone and gave him a World title match. He lost but it's the thought that counts. - The MSW Mid-South Tag titles changed hands when DiBiase & Mr. Olympia take the belts from Wrestling II & Tiger Conway Jr. - AJPW and Brody couldn't come to terms. :( - Trying to keep up with the WWF, MACW signs its own PPV deal. - Sgt. Slaughter helps Andre turn back the clock and put on a great match when they battled to a double countout. - The Freebirds are finally dead. Michael Hayes has signed with MACW. - The AWA has seen what MACW has done, and raised the states. They get their own PPV deal and sign Larry Zbszko to boot. - HOOOOOOOO! Jim Duggan is your new MSW Television champion! - Good times for MACW as Orton Jr and McGraw re-sign. - In a somewhat wierd move, Jerry Lawler drops the AWA International title to Moondog Spot. I'm not a fan of the Moondogs, but if one is going to get one I'm glad it's Spot. - CWF must be in financal trouble because they just released six workers including Brian Blair. - The WWF strikes back and signs King Kong Bundy, Paul Orndoff, and Road Warrior Hawk. - Seeing Terry Gordy on the American Indy show makes me a sad watcher. - At the Great American Bash, the MACW Tag titles switched hand from Rufus Jones and Rotundo to Kelly Kinski and One Man Gang. [i]Week 2[/i] - IN CWA, the era of the Wildman Mid-America Heavyweight champ is over as Jesse Barr pinned Sabu the Wildman for the title. - Holy crap. After eightteen wonderful defenses the impossible was made possible as Ric Flair lost his NWA World title against Greg "The Hammer" Valentine. - The day after Flair's stunning lost, another prestigious title changed hands. In his 21st defence, Don Muraco became just another victim to Hulkamania as Hogan becomes the newest Intercontinental champion. - Jesse Barr defeated Private Jim Nelson for the Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight title. - CWA just fired 10 workers including Sabu the Wildman, Terry Taylor, Koko B. Ware, and Jacques Rougeau. [i]Week 3[/i] - CWA crowns a new AWA International title as Steve Keirn defeated Moondog Spot in the best match the promotion has put on. - Bobby Duncum beat Bob Roop to become the new Flordia Bahamas champion. - The Masked Superstar earns double gold after pinning Butch Reed to be the HCW International title. - The Masked Superstar cashes in on his sucess with a brand new WWF contract. - SECW's Alabama Heavyweight championship changes hands from Mr. Olympia to Norvell Austin in the match of the night. - In a decision that makes me want to throw up a bit, Dizzy Ed Hogan is now PNW's TV champion after Tom Prichard jobbed to him. - After Mark Lewin left CWF, the Tag titles were once again left vacant. Just like the last time they were vacanted because of a leaving wrestler, that wrestler's partner once again wins with another wrestler. So say high to your new CWF Tag champs, Dusty Rhodes and Bobby Duncam. [i]Week 4[/i] - Note to Boon: In my humble opinion, WWF's King of the Ring event should be a tournament. - Mike Davis' Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight reign didn't last long. Back Bart took the strap from him just after one defence. - I don't usually look at GLOW, but I love the choice they made for their newest champion, Luna Vachon. - After the WWF and NWA World titles changed hands, it was only a matter of time till AWA followed suit and at the End-Of-The-Month show, Baron Von Raschke pinned Nick Bockwinkel for the title. - Not to be outdone, Kamala also became the North American Heavyweight champion pinning The Junkyard Dog. - Looks like the WWA is on its last legs. - The best news this week......No retirement announces.

[b]Auguest 1983[/b] [i]Week 1[/i] - My hatred for CWF continues as Bobby Duncam only gets one defense of his Bahamas title before giving it back to Bob Roop. - Seniors rejoice! Bullet Bob Armstrong at the ripe age of 43 has defeated the 43 year old Iron Shielk for the GCW National title. - Guess which owner's son has a shiny new belt? If you guessed Greg Gagne you'd be right. Thankfully, he's half of the tag champs with Brunzell and not the World champ. - The AWA is just getting better and better as Manny Fernandez and Les Thronton both join the Cult promotion. Plus the company also got another TV slot. - Greg "The Hammer" Valentine contunies to deliver as the NWA World champion, constantly putting on "B" matches, including a B+ match against former champion, Ric Flair. - Because one Von Erich with a title is never enough, Kevin Von Erich is once again the WCCW American Heavyweight champion, taking the title from The Great Kabuki. [i]Week 2[/i] - The Junkyard/Kalama fued rages on as The JYD took back his North American Heavyweight Championship from the Ugandan Giant on Mid-South Wrestling. - Work Rate fans rejoince as Nick Bockwinkel re-signs with the AWA. [i]Week 3[/i] - Fellow Poles weep for the releasing of Ivan Putski. - The Invaders defeated the "unstoppable" Wild Somaons for the WWF tag titles. - The surprisingly good TV title reign of Greg Gange has come toa close as David Schultz becomes the new champ. - Dutch Mantell becomes the newest Mid-America Heavyweight champion after besting NY Assassin #2. - Macw it's the only promotion with an awesome fued, the WWF has stepped up it's "World" title scene with the brilliant Masked Superstar/Steamboat fued. [i]Week 4[/i] - GCW ran its second ever Cadiliac Cup with the winner being none other than the Living Legend himself, Larry Zbysko. [code] [b]IWGP League 1983[/b] RW Animal \ Pez Whatley / RW Animal \ The Spoiler \ } The Spoiler \ Sammartino Jr/ The Spoiler / \ Larry Zbysko \ } Larry Zbysko Brett Wayne / Larry Zbysko\ / Tommy Rich \ } Larry Zbysko/ Ronnie Garvin/ Tommy Rich / [/code] - The WWF decides to turn Slaughter face, and gets a "B+" WWF Heavyweigt match with champion, Masked Superstar, for their troubles. - We have our first company to go over, please bow your head for the WWA. - Dick Brower announces his retirement. [center]Now for the newest part of Through the Looking Glass, the random youtube promo! [/center]

[QUOTE=D. Boon's Ghost;195700]Did someone say... [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV-i-H-Vbew"]Rasslin'[/URL]? :D This should shatter anyone's illusions about the territorial era being some noble monster. *shudder*[/QUOTE] Oh lord... Funny story (or maybe not, you decide)...I got hired to write a screenplay about a wrestler. Kind of dark. Definitely a drama. The producer who hired me wanted to call it "rasslin" and used this song as a point of contention. I tried to explain him that using that title really makes the movie sound like a stupid comedy and that you would be turning off the very people you'd be marketing the movie to. Shockingly, the movie never got made :)

[b]September 1983[/b] [i]Week 1[/i] - Dick Slater extends his contract with MACW. - In a surpise move, WCCW puts the Texas Heavyweight title on someone not named Von Erich! Say hello to your next transitional champion (till another Von Erich takes it) Buddy Jack Roberts! - And, Buddy Jack Roberts reign lasts all of one day as David bested him for the the Texas Heavyweight title. - It's a good day for lifetime jobbers as Nacho Berrera wins the AWA Light Heavyweight title from Buck Zumhofe. - It looks like Bruiser Brody and Blackjack Mulligan will be leaving CSTATE and CWF respectively. - I'm really not liking this freelancer thing. A C rated match between Mark Lewin and Terry Gordy shouldn't be held in at an Outlaw Wrestling event! [i]Week 2[/i] - The Big 3 is now the Big 4 as GCW finally gets there butt to Cult. - What's with all the short title regins lately? Nacho loses his Light Heavyweight title right back to Buck Zumhole. - Jay Younglood loses his United States title to one of the greatest gimmick wrestlers in the history of wrestling, The Great Kabuki. - Bob Orton and Jake Milliman both re-sign with the MACW and AWA. - The first signing of the new GCW is none other than the handsome halfbreed, Gino Hernandez......who WILL BE YOUR CHAMPION! [i]Week 3[/i] - In a move that shouldn't be a shock to anyone, Dusty Rhodes defeats the leaving Blackjack Mulligan to win the Flordia Heavyweight title. - Mike Rotundo resigns with MACW and Tony Atlas extends his contract with the WWF. - In a move of sheer awesomeness Bob Backlund has been signed by NJPW and wins in his first match, a main event tag with Kido against Teranishi and Yatsu. - In sader news, MSW had an exodus releasing such names as Buddy Landell, Art Crews, Jim Neidhart, and Steve Williams. [i]Week 4[/i] - Bobby Duncam gets another run with the Bahamas title after pinning Bob Roop. - It looks like Butch Reed is going to be working for GCW. All I've got to say, it's about time. - Big day in the world of wrestling. Masked Superstar extended his WWF contract and NJPW rose to Cult. - All hail King Harley Race, the new NWA United National Heavyweight champion! - I've said it before and I'll say it again, Masked Superstar + Ricky Steamboat = $$$ [center]Retro Youtube Promo: Reaction from one of the best heel turns of all time, or why Backlund should have stayed in the WWF and turned heel... [/center]

Archived