need to lessen rivalry effect

I have noticed in all the leagues I've setup (I go through a lot because I sim games rather than play them) that there is a huge, and I mean huge effect when playing the rival that is very unrealistic. While it's nice to have some effect, consider this. In my current season I have a guy whose in the race for the heisman at QB, a HB that's going to win the doak walker (season's not even oer and he has 2000 yds and 17 TDs and so on. I go into the last game of the season undefeated, ranked 6 and playing vs 0-11 Cinci and I'm favored to win by 7. I sim it, and I lost 34-0, I didn't save since it ticked me off that I'd lose to a winless team and I thought it was a fluke. I simed it again and lost 31-10. I've imed it several times and lost all of them. I even played it and lost. I checked the cinci roster thinking maybe thy were actually a better team and just 0-11 due to schedule in which case I'd be fine letting the cpu give them the win, but the stink, their roster is mostly orange for starters and the OC and DC are poor (my OC is the best, DC is ok-good). I don't have any major injuries. In my last league when I played as Akron, kent state (the rival) beat me all of the time (as in 8 for the last 8) even though I won 8 consecutive conference titles and national title while they failed to produce one winning season. For the national title year, I'd moved to the big 10 and swept it. who beat me as my lone loss? yep kent state (still my rival despite conf change), 3-8 going in. And what's worse is I had all 4-5 start starters and they only had one 3star and the rest was downhill. I've also gone into rival games while in the title hunt and been the underdog which didn't make sense, especially when they almost never had more than 4 wins on the season. I like the concept, I like that they are more likely to play spoiler (after all, what are rivals for?), but it's way too powerful of an effect to the extent that it's unrealistic and takes the fun out of it. I think I've simmed this game 20 times by now and played it twice, lost every time.

Here it is again the next season. I'm 11-0 going into the rival game and cinci is 4-6. Only common opponent was louisville who I beat 64-21 (cinci also beat them bad 42-23). I go in rated to win by 9, no 1 in CPU ranking and 4 and 6 in the coaches and AP, they are obviously not ranked. Only 2 teams (both MAC teams) were within 20 points and I beat 6 teams by 30-51 points. My offense/Defense is 1/16 (they are 34/80) My RB has 2300 yds and 22 rushing TDs going in, my Qbs combined for 3300 yds 29 TDs and 8 INTs, my defensive leaders have 9 sacks and 9 ints and I am equal or better at every starting position but one (one of the MLBs) and have way more depth (couresty of the 17th and 24th best recruitingclasses the last 2 yrs). End Result: my RB and is held to 69 yds and no TDs as I lose by 33. This time there is a possible explanaition though in that they had the 17th best SOS and I was around 90, but still.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived