Official Wrestling Style Thread

Generally speaking, I think there are few true super j's outside of Japan. Canadians seem incline toward being technicians - Hart and Benoit are. Jericho may have been at one point, but did change when he hit WWE. I would consider Flair a regular wrestler as he adapated mostly the style he was working with, be it a Ricky Steamboat or a Bruiser Brody. Tazz I am tempted to classify as regular. If I can't classify someone strongly as one thing or another, regular seems to be the way to go. Here are what I consider paradigms for the different categories: Technician - Ricky Steamboat, Bret Hart, Kurt Angle Puroresu - Samoa Joe, Kenta Kobashi, Mitsuhara Misawa, etc... most of Japan. Super Jr. - Jushin Lyger, Tiger Mask Luchador - Super Crazy... most of Mexico Psychopath - Sheik, Abdullah the Butcher, Sabu Brawler - Team 3D, Rhino Cruiserweight - AJ Styles, Paul London, Brian Kendrick Spot Monkey - Rob Van Dam Entertainer - Hulk Hogan, Dusty Rhodes Interesting cases.. Bruiser Brody and Terry Funk - brawler or psycho?

[QUOTE=markieje;199759]Tazz I am tempted to classify as regular.[/QUOTE] Tazz strikes me as Puroresu Style, honestly. [QUOTE=markieje;199759]Cruiserweight - AJ Styles[/QUOTE] I would say AJ Styles is more of a Super Junior. [QUOTE=markieje;199759]Spot Monkey - Rob Van Dam[/QUOTE] Special K were Spoy Monkeys. Rob Van Dam is far more versatile, probably a Regular Wrestler.

I think you're right. RVD is more of a Regular Wrestler with F- for Psychology, than a Spot Monkey. I see Spot Monkey as more of the Special K/Amazing Red/Jeff Hardy shtick. People who cannot DO anything else other than high spot after high spot, to make the marks go "wow, that was cool" and the people who'd seen him wrestle before go "Sigh...". Although to be fair, Jeff has improved a lot from his first WWE run. RVD can wrestle (see his matches with Jerry Lynn in ECW, and his martial arts background), he just hasn't got the feintest idea how to work a match. I think that's covered more by the complete lack of psychology rather than giving him a "spot monkey" style, in TEW. In everyday conversation, yeah, he's a spot monkey :P

I don't think you can say that he has an F- for Psychology, as after all this time in the business I'd struggle to name anyone who'd be that bad. I would suggest that his style is unconvincing, quite sloppy and incongruous among WWEs punch-kick heavy style. I reckon it's more a fault in his Basics than his Psychology, as part of his gimmick has [I]always[/I] been his unorthodox ring style. Really, his martial arts background strikes me as more of a hinderance than a help - he's basing so much on of his technique on real life attacks that it looks lousy when he pulls the kick. Compare him to, say, Tajiri, who made his kicks look good and it makes me wonder why no-one at WWE headquarters ever pulled him aside and said "Look, you've got charisma to burn and the fans love you - if you could just make the fake stuff look real, instead of making the real stuff look fake, you'd be right there." But then, as big a fan of RVD as I am, he's had the same criticisms levelled at him since the original ECW days. He aint gonna change now.

[QUOTE=soundsofsilver;199671]Yeah Jake Roberts had great psychology. But according to Bret Hart, who IS wrestling to me and everything I like about it, he didn't find that Flair had very much psychology.[/QUOTE] Not that Bret would be saying that because he's bitter, or anything...

Just some FYI on the Bret/Flair thing. Flair ragged on Bret for doing the same moves in every match (5 moves of doom), Bret then retaliated with that flair had no place to talk as every Flair match you get the same moves as well, but Flairs same moves made no sense cause they are moves that ALWAYS backfire, like the flair to the top rope and gets body slammed off. Almost every time that fails, yet every match he tries it again....doesn't make sense. Where as he would use the same moves but they worked every match, so it makes sense to go back to the moves. Pretty much Flair ragged on Bret for something every wrestler in existence does (uses trademarks every match) then Bret ragged on Flair for the same thing. Though personally I think Bret has more of a case but it's still a stupid thing to criticize a wrestler about. Both guys should have just shut the hell up, both guys are tremendous wrestlers and the best in the sport.

Archived