[Death of the Territories] The Dunvegan Dynasty (MACW)

1984 End of Year Report [B]Wrestler Of The Year:[/B] Ric Flair [B]Young Wrestler Of The Year:[/B] Davey Boy Smith [B]Veteran Wrestler Of The Year:[/B] Lou Thesz [B]Female Wrestler Of The Year:[/B] Jaguar Yokota [B]Promotion Of The Year:[/B] NWA [B]Most Improved Promotion Of The Year:[/B] GCW [B]Match Of The Year:[/B] Ric Flair d. Harley Race @ Superbrawl, MACW [B]Show Of The Year:[/B] World Championship Wrestling (Monday, Week 1, July 1984), MACW [B]Rookie Of The Year:[/B] Nikita Koloff [CODE] [B] Top 100 Wrestlers of 1984 by Pro Wrestling Hits Magazine[/B] 1.Lou Thesz 2.Jim Brunzell 3.Ric Flair 4.Dory Funk Jr. 5.Dusty Rhodes 6.Greg Gagne 7.Nick Bockwinkel 8.Jerry Lawler 9.The Iron Sheik 10.David Von Erich 11.Jimmy Snuka 12.Wahoo McDaniel 13.Iron Mike Sharpe 14.Rip Oliver 15.Doug Dunvegan 16.Ricky Steamboat 17.Jack Brisco 18.Jake Roberts 19.Gino Hernandez 20.Jerry Stubbs 21.Steve O 22.Bob Armstrong 23.Brad Rheingans 24.Bill Dundee 25.Don Muraco 26.Bill Irwin 27.Sgt. Slaughter 28.Mr. Saito 29.Giant Baba 30.Villano I 31.David Sierra 32.Dick Murdoch 33.Terry Funk 34.Larry Zbyszko 35.Chris Adams 36.Curt Hennig 37.Raymond Rougeau 38.Buddy Roberts 39.Bill Watts 40.Rick Hunter 41.Nikita Koloff 42.El Sicodélico 43.Jim Garvin 44.Tito Santana 45.Umanosuke Ueda 46.Harley Race 47.Perro Aguayo 48.Rip Rogers 49.Kevin Von Erich 50.El Matemático 51.The Great Kabuki 52.Scott Irwin 53.Adrian Street 54.Jose Huertas Gonzales 55.Ole Anderson 56.Dick Slater 57.Mr. Wrestling II 58.Johnny Rivera 59.The Spoiler 60.Robert Fuller 61.Hector Guerrero 62.Chic Cullen 63.Tommy Rich 64.Buzz Sawyer 65.Greg Valentine 66.Kuniaki Kobayashi 67.Dynamite Kid 68.Jules Strongbow 69.Tony St. Clair 70.Porkchop Cash 71.Carlos Colon 72.Stan Hansen 73.Kerry Von Erich 74.Marty Jones 75.Roddy Piper 76.Hulk Hogan 77.Matt Borne 78.Ronnie Garvin 79.Magnum T.A. 80.Al Madril 81.Jay Youngblood 82.Davey Boy Smith 83.Baron Von Raschke 84.El Faraón 85.Sheik Abdullah Ali Hassan 86.Ron Bass 87.Sailor White 88.Ashura Hara 89.Genichiro Tenryu 90.King Kong Bundy 91.Riki Choshu 92.Mike Graham 93.Bret Hart 94.Paul Orndorff 95.Bruno Sammartino 96.El Signo 97.Angel Blanco 98.Leo Burke 99.Manny Fernandez 100.Solar [/CODE] [QUOTE=Anubis]I determined the "Rookie Of The Year" myself from the top ranked wrestler who debuted in 1984.[/QUOTE]

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[B][U]January 1985 News:[/U][/B] Big Van Vader Enters Wrestling Damian 666 Enters Wrestling Pat Tanaka Enters Wrestling Curly Moe Enters Wrestling George South Enters Wrestling Del Wilkes Enters Wrestling Fatu Enters Wrestling Ludvig Borga Enters Wrestling Nick Bockwinkel Retires From Wrestling Gypsy Joe Retires From Wrestling Motoshi Okuma Retires From Wrestling Dick Steinborn Retires From Wrestling Dave McKigney Retires From Wrestling [B][U]Monday, Week 1, January 1985[/U][/B] Well, Gene Anderson has given notice that he plans to retire in one month's time, so it looks like I need to begin a transition to new Tag Team Champions as well as a replacement for The Minnesota Wrecking Crew.

[CENTER][IMG]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa5/TrueAnubis1980/Banners/ImperiaPresentsProfessionalWrestlin.jpg[/IMG] [B]Tuesday, Week 1, January 1985 Held in the Robarts Arena in Sarasota, Florida[/B][/CENTER] [FONT="Courier New"] [SIZE="3"][B][U]PRE-SHOW[/U][/B][/SIZE] [B]The Undertaker defeated Leon Anderson in 4:36 by pinfall with a Tombstone Piledriver.[/B] *Leon Anderson and The Undertaker have pretty good chemistry, and it lifted the match. *The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost. [I]Rating: D[/I] [B]Johnny Saint defeated Scott Hall in 4:33 by count out.[/B] *The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost. *This match brought the crowd's mood down. [I]Rating: D-[/I] [B]CHAMPION PROMO[/B] *Doug Dunvegan cuts a promo hyping up his glorius reign as champion in the promotion. *This segment lifted the crowd. [I]Length: 6 minutes Rating: B[/I] [SIZE="3"][B][U]MAIN SHOW[/U][/B][/SIZE] [B]OPENING SEGMENT[/B] *Lance Russell and Jim Ross open the program by discussing tonight's broadcast. In one match, we'll be seeing Jos Leduc take on Terry Funk, and in the main event, we'll be seeing Kendo Nagasaki take on Doug Dunvegan. Don't miss it, folks! *Lance Russell is improving at acting. [I]Length: 6 Minutes Rating: C[/I] [B][MATCH 1] IWF TELEVISION TITLE BOUT Marvin Amazing v "The Classic" John Sebastian (c)[/B] *This was a nice technical bout, but no one really cared *Classic dominated this one and put Amazing away easily *[I]John Sebastian defeated Marvin Amazing in 4:46 by submission with a Classic Cloverleaf. John Sebastian makes defence number 2 of his IWF Television title.[/I] *This match brought the crowd's mood down. [I]Rating: E+[/I] [B]UNDERTAKER STRIKES AGAIN![/B] *Jim Ross starts to interview John Sebastian, but The Undertaker comes out of nowhere and attacks *J.R. stands aside calling for security as Undertaker beats the crap out of Classic and leaves him down and out *John Sebastian is learning to show more charisma. John Sebastian is developing better performance skills. *The Undertaker is developing better performance skills. [I]Length: 3 Minutes Rating: D-[/I] [B][MATCH 2] Shane Douglas v "Cowboy" Bob Orton[/B] *Orton tried to dominate this one, but Douglas would not go down without a fight *The match turned into a brawl, but despite the efforts of Douglas, Orton was on top of his game tonight *Orton took control of the match eventually and finished Douglas off *[I]Cowboy Bob Orton defeated Shane Douglas in 6:38 by pinfall with a Superplex.[/I] *The performance of Cowboy Bob Orton stood out as being good. [I]Rating: D+[/I] [B][MATCH 3] Jos Leduc v Terry Funk[/B] *This was a sloppy brawl from the opening bell *Leduc was in control at first, but got arrogant and made mistakes that allowed Funk to come back *Leduc tried to ground Funk, but he got his second wind and hammered him *Leduc tried to make a comeback, but Funk was in control and finished it *[I]Terry Funk defeated Jos Leduc in 9:54 by submission with a Funk Spinning Toe Hold.[/I] *Jos Leduc and Terry Funk just don't click at all, and it showed in their performances. [I]Rating: C-[/I] [B]TERRY FUNK PROMO[/B] *Terry Funk cuts a promo hyping up his skills. [I]Length: 6 Minutes Rating: C+[/I] [B][MATCH 4: MAIN EVENT] Kendo Nagasaki v Doug Dunvegan[/B] *Nagasaki went into this match with a purpose, but Dunvegan was ready for him *Nagasaki got the upper-hand as he wrestled for position with Dunvegan, taking him to the mat and working on his back and legs *Dunvegan refused to give up, but Nagasaki hammered him mercilessly *Nagasaki was in control for a short time, but Dunvegan soon summoned a second wind and started fighting back hard *Nagasaki tried to keep him down, but ran into an onslaught by Dunvegan that left him down and out *[I]Doug Dunvegan defeated Kendo Nagasaki in 14:38 by pinfall with an Iron Fist.[/I] *Kendo Nagasaki and Doug Dunvegan have pretty good chemistry, and it lifted the match. *The match suffered because there was not enough selling shown. *Doug Dunvegan looked excellent out there. *Doug Dunvegan is improving in Technical skills. [I]Rating: B-[/I] [SIZE="3"][B]FINAL RATING: C+[/B][/SIZE] [/FONT] [QUOTE=Doug Dunvegan]Well, the biggest problem became perfectly clear here: Terry Funk, Cowboy Bob Orton, and I are the only people on the roster anyone knows or cares about. I was hoping to let the in-ring product get us over with the fans, but I made a terrible miscalculation which has resulted in what you see now. To make matters worse, while I work well with both of them, they do not work so well against each other, meaning the only matches that can draw really well are Orton against me and Funk against me. I fear this may get repetitive, so I must quickly work to get some of these others over enough to produce results. Not good, not good at all. Worst thing is that all the best workers are already working elsewhere, meaning I am stuck with what I have for the time being.[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=Anubis]Yeah, I've made some pretty critical errors in my attempts to break away and crush everyone, namely that there were no workers left that were over [I]and[/I] available at Cult. So for the time being, this is probably gonna get kinda repetitive since the only great matches I can have at the moment are Funk/Dunvegan and Orton/Dunvegan. Bloody hell! I was sure that this product would give me ratings based on match quality, but I was way off. For my readers, I know the next few months (maybe even the next year) will be kinda bad, but with a little luck, I'll be able to built these nobodies up into a damn good roster. It'll just take time is all, and I have no way to get creative with only three potential main events, so please bear with me. I mean, I [i]could[/i] mix it up a little, but my ratings would suffer, and I can't access the cream of the crop until I get back to National. Keep the faith, we all have slumps![/QUOTE]

[B][U]Wednesday, Week 1, January 1985[/U][/B] Cowboy Bob Orton both received another verbal warning for showing up late to last night's show. I am not even able to discipline him really since IWF actually does need him. [B][U]Friday, Week 1, January 1985[/U][/B] GCW Sign PPV Deal with MSG Network WCCW Sign PPV Deal with Closed Circuit U.S. (Big) UWA Sign PPV Deal with Closed Circuit Mexico (Big) I signed Rick Martel and Manny Fernandez to Pay-Per-Appearance deals today. I hope this will bolster the roster enough to get us through these trying times. [B][U]Saturday, Week 1, January 1985[/U][/B] WWF Sign PPV Deal with Closed Circuit U.S. (Big) CSTATE Sign PPV Deal with MSG Network I signed Missy Hyatt and Dave Finlay to Pay-Per-Appearance deals today in an attempt to round off the roster. Unfortunately, I am getting a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. [B][U]Saturday, Week 1, January 1985[/U][/B] Well, we managed to secure a deal with PPV carrier MSG Network, but just barely. We are in a lot of trouble right now, though this could be exactly what we need to move forward. Still, we operate out of Illinois, so I am not all that sure what they expect. Well, it is better than nother, so we are safe for now. Starting on Sunday, we will begin airing [I]Imperia Presents: Sunday Night Fights[/I] on PPV, and it will be our flagship and money-maker. Only the Television Title will be defended on the free show; the World Heavyweight Title and the Tag Team Titles can only be competed for on PPV. Well, those are the rules for now at least. Still, this could backfire quite easily. Unfortunately, this is the last chance to get the ball rolling on this thing. If this plan fails, IWF fails. Let us hope and pray for success so that we may yet crush our foes.

[QUOTE=D. Boon's Ghost;309427]It is both sad [I]and[/I] awesome that Lou Thesz made #1 on the end-of-year rankings. Did you happen to edit his age?[/QUOTE] When I was booking the NWA, I knocked 10 years off Lou Thesz in order to be able to negotiate a contract with him (the game doesn't allow you to do so at 68 normally) since I figured it was realistic enough given the circumstances; after signing him, though, I put his age back to normal. I was pretty shocked he ranked at the top myself since he only had a short stint, even if it was as the NWA World Heavyweight Champion. After I left the NWA, they stopped using him and stripped him of the title, which I thought was a sad way to end things. If only things had gone a little bit differently, I'd have been able to run the storyline I wanted to run with Thesz, The Russians, and Ricky Steamboat. In fact, a part of me now wishes I had just given Ric Flair a new contract in the editor, as my plans for the NWA were a ton better than anything I can do with IWF at the moment. [QUOTE=D. Boon's Ghost;309427]While Brunzell at #2 is surprising, it is kind of neat to see so many AWA wrestlers up there. Even if Rambo Greg at #6 makes everyone outside of Minnesota sick to their smarky stomachs.[/QUOTE] Yeah, it was pretty entertaining!

[CENTER][IMG]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa5/TrueAnubis1980/Banners/ImperiaPresentsSundayNightFights.jpg[/IMG] [B]Sunday, Week 1, January 1985 LIVE from the UIC Pavillion in Chicago, Illinois[/B][/CENTER] [FONT="Courier New"] [SIZE="3"][B][U]PRE-SHOW[/U][/B][/SIZE] [B]Kendo Nagasaki defeated Fit Finlay in 5:42 by count out.[/B] *Fit Finlay and Kendo Nagasaki have great chemistry, and it showed in their performances. *The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost. [I]Rating: C[/I] [B]Al Madril defeated Johnny Saint in 6:25 by pinfall after using a foreign object.[/B] *The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost. [I]Rating: D[/I] [B]MR. BRISCO GREETS THE CROWD[/B] *Jack Brisco makes his way down to the ring, welcomes the fans, and hypes the upcoming show. [I]Length: 4 minutes Rating: C[/I] [SIZE="3"][B][U]MAIN SHOW[/U][/B][/SIZE] [B][MATCH 1] Jos Leduc v Tony Garea[/B] *This was a nice competitive match to open the show with *Both men had plenty of offense, but Garea eventually overcame Leduc *[I]Tony Garea defeated Jos Leduc in 9:53 by submission with an Octopus Hold.[/I] [I]Rating: C-[/I] [B][MATCH 2] Dean Malenko v The Undertaker[/B] *Malenko did his best to fight off the monster that is Undertaker, but got pretty much squashed *[I]The Undertaker defeated Dean Malenko in 5:27 by pinfall with a Tombstone Piledriver.[/I] *This match brought the crowd's mood down. [I]Rating: D-[/I] [B]THE MIDNIGHT EXPRESS PROMO[/B] *The Midnight Express had an interview hyping their upcoming tag match with The Minnesota Wrecking Crew. *Jim Cornette helped Condrey during this segment. Jim Cornette helped Rose during this segment. *Randy Rose and Jim Cornette are a good pairing, they play off each other well. *Dennis Condrey is developing better performance skills. [I]Length: 6 Minutes Rating: D[/I] [B][MATCH 3] IWF TAG TEAM TITLE BOUT The Midnight Express (Dennis Condrey and Randy Rose) v The Minnesota Wrecking Crew (Gene Anderson and Lars Anderson) (c)[/B] *Excellent tag team match between two experienced teams *Like their previous match, neither team could get ahead, and this one went all the way to the time limit *[I]The Midnight Express drew with The Minnesota Wrecking Crew in 20:00 when the time limit expired. The Minnesota Wrecking Crew make defence number 2 of their IWF Tag Team titles.[/I] *Lars Anderson is improving in Rumble skills. [I]Rating: D+[/I] [B]INTERVIEW WITH THE TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS[/B] *The Minnesota Wrecking Crew cut an interview with Jim Ross, hyping themselves. *This segment brought the crowd's mood down. [I]Length: 6 Minutes Rating: D-[/I] [B][MATCH 4] Rick Martel v Nikolai Volkoff[/B] *This was a rather sloppy match, though also fairly even in terms of competitiveness; Martel eventually got the upper-hand on Volkoff *[I]Rick Martel defeated Nikolai Volkoff in 6:36 by submission with a Quebec Crab.[/I] *Rick Martel and Nikolai Volkoff don't seem to click, and it made for an awkward bout. [I]Rating: C[/I] [B][MATCH 5] Manny Fernandez v "Cowboy" Bob Orton[/B] *This was a brawl that turned bloody quickly as it spilled to the outside; Manny clobbered Orton and made him submit *[I]Manny Fernandez defeated Cowboy Bob Orton in 11:57 by submission with a Sleeperhold.[/I] *Manny Fernandez is improving in Technical skills. [I]Rating: C[/I] [B]TERRY FUNK PROMO[/B] *Terry Funk had an interview hyping his upcoming singles match with Doug Dunvegan. [I]Length: 6 Minutes Rating: B-[/I] [B][MATCH 6: MAIN EVENT] IWF WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE BOUT Terry Funk v Doug Dunvegan (c)[/B] *Though the two men shook hands before the match, it did not take long for this to turn into a brutal brawl *On the outside of the ring, Funk took control of the match, soon busting Dunvegan open and wearing him down *Dunvegan came back by slamming Funk into the ring post, getting a second wink, then tossed him into the ring wear they fought to the time limit *[I]Terry Funk drew with Doug Dunvegan in 30:00 when the time limit expired. Doug Dunvegan makes defence number 2 of his IWF World Heavyweight title.[/I] *Terry Funk and Doug Dunvegan have great chemistry, and it showed in their performances. *Doug Dunvegan looked excellent out there. *This match lifted the crowd. *Doug Dunvegan is improving in Technical skills. [I]Rating: B[/I] [B]INTERVIEW WITH THE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION[/B] *Doug Dunvegan cuts an interview with Lance Russell, hyping himself. *This segment lifted the crowd. *Doug Dunvegan is learning to show more charisma. Doug Dunvegan is developing better performance skills. [I]Length: 6 Minutes Rating: B[/I] [SIZE="3"][B]FINAL RATING: C+[/B][/SIZE] [/FONT] [QUOTE=Anubis]Sorry for the somewhat low quality. I'm just having a hard time feeling the vibe now. I was really interested and invested in the NWA stuff, and wasn't planning on moving on to IWF until around 1990 or so. So yeah, I've sorta lost the groove, misplaced the mojo, whatever. It'll be a slow recovery, if there is a recovery. Dark times indeed.[/QUOTE]

[B][U]Week in Review: TV Ratings Race[/U][/B] [CODE] [Monday] NWA Wrestling ESPN 18.34 GCW In Your House U.S. Syndication Big I 4.92 [Tuesday] AWA Battering Ram ESPN 5.88 [Wednesday] WWF Lightning U.S. Syndication Big I 4.46 [Thursday] Imperia Presents: Professional Wrestling TBS 1.75 [Friday] AWA All-Star Wrestling U.S. Syndication Small II 10.61 WCCW: The Edge TV Local - Mid South 0.79 [Saturday] George Championship Wrestling TBS 13.53 [Sunday] WWF Championship Wrestling U.S. Syndication Small I 5.91 World Class Wrestling TV Local - Mid South 1.01 [/CODE]

Archived