[Death of the Territories] The Dunvegan Dynasty (MACW)

[B][U]PRLOGUE[/U][/B] My name is Doug Dunvegan. Born in 1950 and raised in Scotland, I have been involved in the business of fighting for sport since I was a teenager. I, however, was a boxer, and a damn good one if I do say so myself. I was no George Foreman, mind you, but neither was I some chump. I am married and have four children, though not all from the same woman. I met my first wife, Anna Milano, while I was in Italy for a boxing match. Unfortunately, she died giving birth to our son, Alex. I was with various women after that, and recently learned that I fathered my second son by one of them. I shall not go into detail about that particular relationship, but I am proud to have Edgar in my life, and am happy to raise him, though his mother is no longer with us either. My current wife, Serena, is a lovely woman whom I met here in the United States, and she is the mother of my twins, Jerry and Sarah. Indeed, we are now one big happy family. Anyway, while not the biggest name in boxing, I was fairly popular back home and across Europe, and I even have a bit of fame here in the United States. Growing up, I was also a big fan of our sister sport, professional wrestling. Apparently, the owner of the World Wrestling Federation, Vince McMahon, took notice of me. I have no idea how he was so aware of me, given his business and everything, but I was contacted by Mr. McMahon. Interestingly enough, he knew that I was a fan of professional wrestling, and was looking to give me a job. Of course, I wondered what his plans were, and he let me in on a secret plan he had in mind. That plan was to destroy the territories and take over the wrestling industry. I considered his offer, seeing as I was interested in crossing over for a change of scenery, but there was one small problem with his plan. If he had known how I truly felt, I never would have found out about his plan, but thankfully, he let his ego get the better of him. You see, I may be a fan of professional wrestling, but what Mr. McMahon did not know was that I was a fan of the National Wrestling Alliance. In fact, in preparation for my involvement into the business, I received training from none other than Harley Race. So I took the information he had given me and contacts Jim Crockett Jr. After letting him and other regional promoters know of Mr. McMahon's plans, I came up with one of my own. My plan, of course, was to bring my own ideas into a promotion and do whatever it took to stop Mr. McMahon's takeover of the wrestling industry. Had they not found out for another two or three years, it may have been too late, so I suppose I was lucky to find out about everything when I did. So, taking a calculated risk, Mr. Crockett hired me to take over as head booker for his promotion, Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling. This is where the rise of the Clan Dunvegan, my legacy, begins. [B][U]LINKS[/U][/B] [URL="http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?p=239300#post239300"][I]MACW Starrcade[/I] Supercard[/URL] [URL="http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?p=239868#post239868"][I]Start of Part 2:[/I] New Diary Format[/URL] [URL="http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?p=296134#post296134"][I]Start of Part 3:[/I] MACW goes National and becomes the NWA[/URL] [URL="http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?p=304351#post304351"][I]Start of Part 4:[/I] Doug Dunvegan creates Imperia Wrestling Federation[/URL]

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Crockett Cup Taking the reigns of MACW, I saw that there was a lot of work to be done. The roster is quite bloated and there are too many championships floating around for a promotion of this size. Leaving the championships for later on, I took a look at the roster. I was not sure who all needed to go, but I knew for sure that I would be handing out at least ten pink slips. Other than that, I figured I needed to check to see if MACW's product was advertised the way I envisioned it. Thankfully, it seems as though no changes are needed at this time as far as that is concerned. So it was on to the first event, a big event called the Crockett Cup, an event which is a memorial to the late Jim Crockett Sr. The primary focus is a tag team tournament. [B]Crockett Cup[/B] Monday, Week 1, April 2003 Information: The Great Kabuki and Magic Dragon form the team [I]Gary Hart's Family[/I] Kelly Kiniski and One Man Gang form the team [I]House of Humperdink[/I] Jack Brisco and Jerry Brisco form the team [I]The Brisco Brothers[/I] Dory Funk Jr. and Terry Funk form the team of [I]The Funks[/I] I started a couple major storylines here right off the bat. The first involves a feud between Ric Flair and Dusty Rhodes over the NWA World Heavyweight Title, and the other involves a feud between the The Brisco Brothers and The Funk. Aside from starting up these storylines, this show will be all about the wrestling. [SIZE="1"]Author's Note: The current plan is to report the show results through screenshot attachments. Anything important storyline-wise will be reported in the body of the post.[/SIZE]

Business-wise, I attempted to end hostilities with WCCW, but failed. I am not altogether certain why they are behaving like this, but there is nothing I can do about it at the moment. I also raised ticket prices, as I believe this promotion is popular enough to make more money at the gate. The WWF made an offer to Roddy Piper, and I fear he will likely jump ship since the WWF is a bit of a bigger stage at the moment. He is a great talent, though, and I love his work, so I hope to lure him back at a later date if he leaves. [B]Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling[/B] Wednesday, Week 1, April 1983 I am starting another major storyline here. While it may sound self-serving, I hope this storyline involving me going on a winning streak is a good one. I plan to job out to myself the people I am releasing. The first victim: [I]Abe Jacobs[/I]. Other than that, nothing major, just good wrestling. That and I put the Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Titles on Jimmy Valiant & Bugsy McGraw.

I hired George Scott to be our primary road agent, and I feel he will be much better at it than Gene Anderson. As for Anderson, I am not sure what to do with him yet, but I plan to keep him around as I have my eye on both Ole Anderson and Arn Anderson, and would like a positive relationship there. Abe Jacobs, of course, was released from the company. Now the time has come for our first tour show since I took over as head booker. In fact, I plan on taking the fight right to Vince McMahon's front door to let him know that I plan to win this little war. I imagine it will be "the shot heard round the world" for the wrestling industry. [B]MACW in Your Town![/B] Friday, Week 1, April 1983 A lot of good wrestling on this show to be sure. I continued both major storylines here, first by having The Funks rob The Brisco Brothers of their shot at the NWA World Tag Team Titles, then by having Ric Flair do what he does best and cheat his way to victory over Dusty Rhodes.

As I suspected, Roddy Piper jumped ship to the WWF. Hopefully, I can lure him back somewhere down the line. Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling Rating: 0.59 [I](TV Local - Mid Atlantic)[/I] [B]Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling[/B] Wednesday, Week 2, April 1983 The next victim of my winning streak: Rufus R. Jones. I also had Jack Brisco screw Dory Funk Jr. out of the Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title.

Rufus R. Jones was released from the company, and the next show will be Roddy Piper's last appearance with MACW for a while. [B]MACW in Your Town![/B] Friday, Week 2, April 1983 As far as storylines go, that will mostly come from two singles matches involving The Brisco Brothers and The Funks, with Dory Funk Jr. and Terry Funk stealing wins. Dusty Rhodes will talk some trash toward Ric Flair, but the main event will have more to do with giving Roddy Piper a proper exit.

Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling Rating: 0.56 [I](TV Local - Mid Atlantic)[/I] [B]Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling:[/B] Wednesday, Week 3, April 1983 This week, I am taking out Johnny Weaver; slowly but surely, I am getting rid of the dead weight that is holding down MACW. Other than that, this is pretty much all about the wrestling, as I attempt to put on a strong show.

Johnny Weaver has been released from the company. Onward! [B]MACW in Your Town![/B] Friday, Week 3, April 1983 A lot of back and forth action between Dusty Rhodes and Ric Flair here. First, Flair taunts Rhodes in the middle of telling everyone how great he is and hyping his upcoming match with Jos Leduc. Rhodes, not amused, finds Flair backstage and beats the crap out of him. After that, Flair gets revenge by having Leduc attack Rhodes, though Wahoo McDaniel makes the save there. Lastly, after Flair retains, Rhodes comes out and brawls with him, and this time, the entire locker room has to come out to separate them. Great action! P.S. Thanks for the positive comments, I was not too certain if anyone would like such an abbreviated diary. I must ask, though, what did you mean by posting quick results? Those screenshots are about as "quick" as results can get, and typing them up would actually defeat the purpose of the screenshots as they would serve the same purpose. Or is that your suggestion, just typing up the results as they appear and dropping the screenshots? Just looking for clarification there.

I see the dilemma here. The screens add to the visual appeal of the diary. The thing is, It's not really legible. I know typing it up defeats the purpose in a sense, but on the same token, it can also add to the presentation. I have a genuine interest in this diary so far. The thing is, I can't follow the storyline completely because I honestly can't make out most of the matches on the cards. Scapino uses a quick results type of deal in his diaries. While you can see the ratings for each match during the show, you can also jump right to the results in a little quote box at the bottom. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing something like that along with the screens. Use the screens for the visual effect, but the quick results so that we can follow and fully enjoy as well. Either way, it's your diary and unless you start writing it in another language, I'm gonna read it. Also, I have no problem with the abreviated format either. Some may, but not me. If the story stays interesting, I follow I don't care how many words you use to tell it! Again, good stuff so far! EDIT: Disregard this entire post as I am an idiot! I just looked at the last show and I can make it out just fine. It's called maximizing the page. Yeah, I'm an idiot!

I finally decided what to do with the abundance of championships around here, and will get things started on this show. Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling Rating: 0.66 [I](TV Local - Mid Atlantic)[/I] [B]Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling[/B] Wednesday, Week 4, April 1983 This week, I am going to take out Vinnie Valentino with my winning streak. In the other two matches, I am starting to get the ball rolling on next month's big event, Clash of the Champions. Dusty Rhodes also puts his hair on the line to get a rematch with Ric Flair, but the challenge is refused; that decision will come back to haunt the NWA World Heavyweight Champion. [SIZE="1"]P.S. I was wondering how you had a tough time reading the screenshots. I figured you either had a smaller monitor or a higher resolution, since my screenshot utility creates screenshots the exact same size the target appears to me. I am glad it was just a matter of resizing the window, since that means I can just continue the format I have been using.[/SIZE]

Vinnie Valentino has been released from the company. He apparently did not like the decision, given his harsh words about me shortly after he got his pink slip. [B]MACW in Your Town![/B] Friday, Week 4, April 1983 This week, I put a lot of focus on The Brisco Brothers and The Funks. The Funks take the NWA Tag Team Titles tonight, but refuse to give The Brisco Brothers a shot. This will set up something for Clash of the Champions starting next week. In the main event, I decided to put in another brawl that empties the locker room between Ric Flair and Dusty Rhodes.

April 1983 End of Month Report Well, my first month on the job went fairly smoothly. The company is in a bit of a state of shock due to my revolutionary booking style, but no one is complaining since the formula seems to be successful. Before I came along, it was not common to have great television matches, and it was especially rare to see legitimate championship matches. In order to compete with Vince McMahon, though, we must capture a national market, and the only way to do that is through television. My next step, of course, is to secure a pay-per-view deal in order to increase revenue, as well as a better television deal. Once all the changes I am planning are put in place, we will be in a very good position and more than capable of standing up to the WWF. [SIZE="1"]P.S. Does anyone know how I could use a fixed width font in these posts, or is it impossible? Courier New usually does the trick, but it still refuses to recognize the extra spaces.[/SIZE]

[B]News:[/B] HCW Rise To Regional Size SECW Rise To Regional Size AJW Rise To Regional Size Roy Shire Becomes Booker Of HCW I have a big month planned for MACW. First and foremost, I started up negotiations for a new television deal and a pay-per-view deal. With any luck, we will be on equal terms with the WWF in short order. The roster is still bloated, but I am working on that problem. As for the championships, that will no longer be an issue come Clash of the Champions for reasons that will shortly become very obvious. The dirt sheets have some very weird ideas, though. I have no idea who their supposed sources are, but for whatever reason, they think that we are looking to make Angelo Mosca Jr. into our next big star. They are in for a rude awakening, though, since he is about as useless as a male reproductive organ on your elbow and thus is the next one I plan on getting rid of. Anyway, I tried to end the hostility with WCCW once again, but was again rejected. I supposed I will have to teach them a lesson sooner or later, since there is no room for rowdy promotional dealings in my grand design to stop Vince McMahon's hostile takeover of the wrestling industry. To further these lofty goals, I also ended the previous non-agression pact with the AWA and struck up a working agreement with them. Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling Rating: 0.64 [I](TV Local - Mid Atlantic)[/I] [B]Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling[/B] Wednesday, Week 1, May 1983 A lot happens here on the first show of May. As promised, some big news regarding Clash of the Champions: I will have two title unification matches, unifying the Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Titles with the NWA World Tag Team Titles as well as unifying the Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title with the NWA World Heavyweight Title! This, of course, means that two of my major storylines will reach their respective climaxes at Clash of the Champions, which I also hope to be able to put on pay-per-view. As such, now I have Dusty Rhodes taunting Ric Flair for not taking the sweet deal a week ago as well as The Brisco Brothers getting their shot at The Funks. The championships will still be defended regularly until Clash of the Champions, of course, which means that everyone will be gunning for a piece of the action. As far as my winning streak goes, I get to laugh at the dirt sheets by sacrificing their golden boy Angelo Mosca Jr. to a pink slip via my Iron Fist.

The networks have definitely noticed MACW, as I hit the jackpot during negotiations! Not only did I strike a deal with [b]ESPN[/b] to carry our newest programming, but I also managed to get [b]U.S. Syndication Medium II[/b] to pick up Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling! Oh, and to trump even that, I managed to seal a pay-per-view deal with [b]Closed Circuit U.S. (Big)[/b]! Indeed, this gives us a level of exposure that will certainly make Vince McMahon urinate himself! Of course, this all triples the pressure on me to put on the best shows possible, but I am more than up to the challenge. Oh, and Angelo Mosca Jr. was released, proving those silly dirt sheets wrong! [B]MACW in Your Town![/B] Friday, Week 1, May 1983 Now showing on pay-per-view! I have decided to continue my winning streak on the pay-per-views now in order to clean up the roster a bit faster. Who is next to go? Dizzy Ed Hogan! Other than that, just some great wrestling tonight along with some banter between all our feuding champions. In particular, I have decided to give Ric Flair some extra time to impress all the pay-per-view buyers.

Dizzy Ed Hogan was released. Other than that, not much new as far as business is concerned. Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling Rating: 0.64 [I](TV Local - Mid Atlantic)[/I] [B]Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling[/B] Wednesday, Week 2, May 1983 Building everything up toward Clash of the Champions now, and everything is looking good. My winning streak storyline is timed perfectly to coincide with the big pay-per-view now with one match each week on television; this week, I am getting rid of Mike Davis. The people want more of Dusty Rhodes and Ric Flair, so I am giving the fans what they want. Some lengthy promo segments on this show now leading up to a nice tag team main event that sees Rhodes get a clean pin on the NWA World Heavyweight Champion. Unfortunately, that is where the good news ends, as Dusty Rhodes was sidelined with a Spinal Disalignment during the match, meaning I need a replacement for the Clash of the Champions. I was hoping to wait before pulling the trigger on the next major storyline, but now I have no choice if I want this event to be as good as planned.

Mike Davis was released, and I extended an offer to the man who I will be putting in a major storyline over the next several months. [B]MACW in Your Town![/B] Friday, Week 2, May 1983 In preparation for upcoming plans, a lot of stuff happens tonight. First, Ric Flair finds a note taped to his bags, and he is upset by whatever is in the note. Next, we see a mysterious figure stalking Flair. Shortly thereafter, Flair gets laid out by a mystery attacker backstage. This is all to foreshadow someone new coming in and to get Flair turned. More drama between The Brisco Brothers and The Funks as well. Other than that, I am mainly going to focus on the wrestling on this show. [SIZE="1"]P.S. Can anyone guess who I am trying to hire?[/SIZE]

How dare you fire Ed Hogan :( NOW who'm I going to mark for? Mark Flemming I guess, he seems quite useless. Although I love you putting yourself over random people then firing them ¬_¬ Not likely to make yourself many friends that way, but it's a very Scottish thing to do :p Sucks about Dusty though :/ Edit: As for the debutant... I'm gonna go for Harley Race, just because it'd be cool. Edit2: Is it bad that I keep clicking the Close button to close the screenshots? :o

Negotiations with the new worker went well, so the time has come to move forward with setting up the next major storyline. Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling Rating: 0.73 [I](TV Local - Mid Atlantic)[/I] [B]Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling[/B] Wednesday, Week 3, May 1983 The next worker to go is Sweet Brown Sugar; he may not be as useless as others I have gotten rid of, but I have absolutely no idea what to do with him, so I figure I should make room for people I do have ideas for. I may not be making a lot of friends, but it is my job to do whatever is best for the company while helping to boost the industry as a whole. Anyway, we have more with the mystery this week, which starts out with a surprise: Ric Flair apologizes to the fans for all the evils he has committed, realizing now that he was wrong as a result of recently being the victim, and promises to be a better champion. He also apologizes for the injury he caused Dusty Rhodes, which was announced moments before. As Flair goes to leave, though, he finds that all of his tires have been flattened. At the end of the night, cameras go backstage where Flair gets hit by a car driven by the mystery attacker, and paramedics take him away. The main event match this week is to determine the first contender for the Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Title held by the now-injured Rhodes. [SIZE="1"]P.S. A very Scottish thing to do? Is that an inside joke or something? I fear it has gone over my head. Just for the curious, though, the reason I am doing it that way is to give myself the momentum of the people on their way out while helping get my popularity started. Trying to close via the actual close button? Classic![/SIZE]

Scottish people are sterotypically tight-fisted bastards and never do anything that doesn't benefit themselves in some way ¬_¬ (I'd better point out that in reality, I love Scottish people. It's just one of those stereotypes that sticks around, like Welsh people and sheep, and Irish people and Guinness/potatoes). I'm liking the Flair angle. It's such a Flair thing to do (as long as it ends with him doing something extremely dastardly and making himself even more evil than before ¬_¬).

Sweet Brown Sugar was released, so I am almost done cleaning up the roster. I also contacted a few new people for negotiations: one would be a new authority figure, the second would be a manager for our incoming mystery man, and the third would be an official interviewer. I plan to stick Mr. Crockett and David Crockett on Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling as announcers while Bob Caudle and Tony Schiavone take the reigns of the main show on ESPN. [B]MACW in Your Town![/B] Friday, Week 3, May 1983 Tonight, we focus on finally revealing the identity of Ric Flair's mystery attacker. Flair is attacked again, and he starts to suspect Greg Valentine is trying to soften him up to take the NWA World Heavyweight Title, though Dick Slater claims that Valentine was with him during the attacks. The accusation, of course, is indeed incorrect, as the mystery attacker reveals himself after Flair's match against Valentine. Who is it? None other than . . . Harley Race! They get into a fight, and soon most of the locker room has joined in a wild brawl. [SIZE="1"]P.S. I am thinking maybe it was too obvious. Especially for those who not only know the history, but have played Death of the Territories, Harley Race was probably pretty obvious. I bet you can even guess what the major storyline planned is. Sorry, but Ric Flair really is turning face, and will not be a heel again for quite a while! Sometimes it is better not to turn something into a swerve; my roster lacks main event faces anyway, especially now that Dusty Rhodes is injured. Still, I do plan on this going on for a very long time, so you certainly have not seen the last of "The Dirtiest Player in the Game", hehehe . . .[/SIZE]

Oh yeah, I'm goood. I don't really know much history, though. I do vaguely remember something about a Race vs. Flair match being the first ever recorded use of a table, but that's about it. Sadly. It was just based on him being the only big name I could think of not already on (or kicked off) your roster.

I sealed the deal to bring in Bobby Heenan as a manager for Harley Race, and I also hired Gene Okerlund to be an interviewer. Negotiations with Killer Karl Kox fell through, though, so I need to find someone else to fill the role of authority figure. Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling Rating: 0.66 [I](TV Local - Mid Atlantic)[/I] [B]Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling[/B] Wednesday, Week 4, May 1983 The final victim of my winning streak will be Private Jim Nelson, another person I have no ideas for. I then issue an open challenge for Clash of the Champions, and Jos Leduc answers it. Tonight will also see Harley Race clinch a match against Ric Flair at Clash of the Champions by cheating his way to a victory over Wahoo McDaniel. Bobby Heenan is also introduced as Race's manager here. Thing is, I was told that I used Race too much on this show, which strikes me as odd seeing as he is a main eventer. This definitely is not a good way to head into the pay-per-view.

Private Jim Nelson was released, and that is about all the business done here. [B]MACW in Your Town![/B] Friday, Week 4, May 1983 Here it is, the final stop before Clash of the Champions. Harley Race will have an exhibition match with Mike Rotundo while Ric Flair finally successfully defends the NWA World Heavyweight Title against Greg Valentine. Plenty happening on this show, with Race and Flair both promising victory at the pay-per-view. At the end of the night, Race attacks Flair, cementing his turn once and for all. As for The Brisco Brothers and The Funks, there is a concession stand brawl shortly before the main event that is quite a chaotic way to head into their big match at the pay-per-view. By the end of the show, I had received word that the fans had found the concession stand brawl unsettling. Flair's face turn, however, was a complete success. All in all, this was a much better way to head into the big pay-per-view.

Clash of the Champions I finally found and signed a new authority figure in Sputnik Monroe. Clash of the Champions is finally upon us, and I can only hope that all my preparations have been enough to make this big pay-per-view event fantastic. The time for business has concluded! Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling Rating: 0.61 [I](TV Local - Mid Atlantic)[/I] [B]May Clash of the Champions[/B] Sunday, Week 4, May 1983 Pre-Show: A couple of matches that were short but sweet were featured to get the crowd going. Then there was a contract signing between Harley Race and Ric Flair, followed by Bob Caudle hyping the match. The show opens with Jos Leduc attacking me backstage in order to soften me up. Tony Schiavone denounces the attack. From there, a hype video about me plays, and then Bob Caudle hypes my upcoming match with Leduc. Leduc taunts me after the match, and I get helped to the back even though I try to get back to the ring to get revenge. The scene cuts to backstage where Sputnik Monroe arrives at the arena. After speculating, Caudle hypes the upcoming match between Wahoo McDaniel and Greg Valentine for the United States Heavyweight Title. Gene Okerlund interviews Valentine, then interviews Harley Race. Mr. Crockett comes out and introduces Sputnik Monroe as a new authority figure for the promotion. He is to be address as Mr. Monroe, of course. After that, a hype video plays detailing the events of [I]The Brisco Brothers v The Funks[/I], and then Caudle hyping the upcoming Title Unification Match between The Brisco Brothers and The Funks. The Brisco Brothers are interviewed by Okerlund. Out next is Ric Flair, who cuts a promo on Race and promises he will be retaining the championship here tonight. A hype video is played detailing the events of [I]Flair v Race[/I] before Caudle hypes the Title Unification Match between Race and Flair. The match runs for over 40 minutes before a winner is finally decided! The only major problem that I saw was that we were expecting the event to sell out and supposedly could have gotten even more to show up if we had booked a bigger arena, yet our actual attendance was terrible given how much was invested in the event. On a more positive note, not only does George Scott tell me that Jos Leduc and I have great chemistry, but Race and Flair do as well.

Archived